Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Found Arcana - Chapter 9 [OOC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Gilga
Alright, so all the correspondence with Frisson is through Bobby's regular link. Got it.

Anyhow, let's see what happens with Big Stank.
ressit intimidation: 9d6t5 5

Tecumseh
Dang, Stank, save some hits for the rest of us.

I'm not really sure what to roll for Mato's line of argument. It's not really Etiquette, nor Intimidation, nor Negotiation, nor Con. But all his Social skills are a 2 so I'll just roll 2 dice. I'll add Charisma and Edge because this seems like an important point. I'll reroll 6s manually because I can never ever remember how to get Orokos to do it.

Charisma 4 + Social 2 + Edge 6: 12d6t5 5 hits plus two sixes to reroll
Exploding 6s: 2d6t5 1 hit, hey another 6
Exploding 6: 1d6t5 1 hit, another one!
Exploding 6: 1d6t5 1 hit, another hit but not a 6 this time

Okay, pretty good! 8 hits total. No Limit applies because pre-Edge negates the Limit. I'm a regular Jawsey over here.
Jack_Spade
Nice. I had thought about using edge, but with my small dice pool it didn't seem like a good investment embarrassed.gif
Tecumseh
I got lucky! One die turned into 4 hits.

I once GM'd a Mr. Lucky, a mundane rolling around with 8 Edge. He was surprisingly potent, so now I tell new players "Edge is a superpower and don't let anyone tell you otherwise." Mato is my first high-Edge character so part of this is me experimenting with it as a player myself.
Gilga
Incredible roll prevented Big Stank from destroying the card on the spot.
Thanee
Guess we will see what happens next. biggrin.gif

It is out of our hands now.

Bye
Thanee
Tecumseh
Yes and no. I think we can still shepherd him along to come around to our way of thinking. If we do it right, we can give him gentle nudges here and there.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the card will express its own agenda and start manipulating Stank along the way...
Beta
Nice roll by Mato!

I'll look back through posts tomorrow. I think we stuck something in the case for the card (Kanmushi drone? With order to check for matrix presence periodically and if it sees it to ping Tamarind's agent, I think) but I need to double check.
Tecumseh
We did have a bug drone with the card. However, I didn't want to unfairly assume that the drone went along with the card. One with think that Stank would notice it, but he left it such a hurry that he might not notice it immediately.
Gilga
You can have your bug on the card if you like, BS barely looked at it and Gau did not care for microdrones.
Beta
Likely going to cost a 500nY drone, but worth it.
Thanee
QUOTE (Gilga @ Jan 27 2023, 07:48 PM) *
Ms. Raven (couldn't find Raven's last name in the sheet).

It's there, but probably not quite so obvious... it's Rachel Moore.

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
Thanks wink.gif ms. Moore makes sense.
Tecumseh
Just so I'm tracking correctly, Tony is disavowing knowledge of Frisson? He's basically saying, "She's a liar who lied to you about working for me." Which, upon reflection, is plausible.

So the suggestion is that the aggrieved free spirits sold us out because we wouldn't play ball with their offer?
Gilga
Yes, he says that if she lied to you once, she would not speak the truth the second time.

...but the story you tell him also involves a security breach to the very meeting and task formulation, he tries to figure out that breach. This is is his suggestion. At post 341 you got similar information by the way.
Tecumseh
Yes, there were plenty of hints, no complaint there. It's just that ICly Mato had no good ideas about how to counter that threat.

In hindsight perhaps he could have tapped into Green Toes, but Mato is dry on karma so who knows if Green Toes (or the Muse) would have cooperated.

Anyway, no complaints here. This is a valid repercussion. We'll see if we can dig our way out of this hole.
Gilga
The next scene I have in place is at about noon when the Lantern doors finally open.
Thanee
Summon Spirit of Air F6 (Elemental Attack, Fear).

Summoning + Magic 3 hits
Spirit's Force 2 hits (1+1 Services)
Drain Resistance (DV 4S) 4 hits

Bye
Thanee
Beta
cmoputers: 9d6t5 4 to get the files put into the Kanmushi in not too obvious a way -- but she doesn't have forgery to make it look good.
Tecumseh
Caught a cold from my kiddo so I'm moving a bit slowly at the moment.

Heather Huxley has been in some chapters and interludes recently. She's a C4 L3 contact for Mato. And it's noon so she's (probably) sober, although she might be busy at the clinic.

Tricky Nicky is a contact that I haven't used up to this point. I think She's an identity broker/forger who I picked up at the beginning of the game because I was still in the habit of getting Contacts that would be useful to shadowrunners. She's C3 L3 but in this case she would probably be more useful just as someone who lives in the neighborhood and might know what's going on.

Cutty and the shoeseller might know some street-level intel too.
Gilga
Oh, that is rough hope you get well soon!
Tecumseh
I presume we're waiting on gilga but I figured that I'd verify that with you all. Hope everyone is healthy and doing well.
Beta
I think Mato and Bobby suggested different groupings? Mato sounded like he was saying non-magic to the museum, magic to the hood. Bobby sounded like he and Tamarind to the hood, so implicitly Mato and Raven to the museum. so Tamarind is responding to that confusion.
Tecumseh
Cutting through the IC back-and-forth a bit, Mato generally prefers to travel in pairs, but Bellevue is a AAA neighborhood so he's not as concerned about being jumped while traveling from point A to point B. So if we wanted to send three to Redmond then he would be comfortable with that.

The Bellevue Art Museum is a real place and it would be very close (maybe a kilometer) from the Gates. Naturally, the one time I tried to go to the Bellevue Art Museum, it was closed. (They are closed on Mondays, but I think we're Tuesday now ICly.)
Gilga
It is Tuseday according to my notes.
Jack_Spade
QUOTE (Beta @ Feb 8 2023, 03:59 AM) *
I think Mato and Bobby suggested different groupings? Mato sounded like he was saying non-magic to the museum, magic to the hood. Bobby sounded like he and Tamarind to the hood, so implicitly Mato and Raven to the museum. so Tamarind is responding to that confusion.

My instinct would have been to have at least one magic perceptive character around to prevent things like suggestion or other mind control.
Tecumseh
This is a reasonable point.

Mato's concern was that Tara had said, "We don't do violence against spirits and metahumans and do not wish to work with summoned or bound spirits."

(That was four months ago so might not be top of mind.)

Now that was Tara speaking and not Melpomene the Muse, but Mato figures that spirits are a sensitive topic for the Tara/Xenon/Melpomene trio and thus it might be better if Raven (and her summoned friend) were elsewhere while Mato speaks with the Muse. It's a point of etiquette and trying to sooth Mel's ruffled feathers.
Beta
Trying to show Tamarind's magic theory knowledge and 'empathetic listener' quality.
Gilga
So what is the plan for Bobby and Raven? I wanted to write you something but I wasn't sure what your course of action was.
Jack_Spade
Basically, drive back to Touristville, Bobby turns into his trusty seagul form and flies over the area, looking for what's going on there (mundane and astrally)
Thanee
Yeah, when Raven returns from her astral scouting trip, she can drive a car (assuming we have one available, as she has no car of her own) around the area where Bobby wants to take a look. Basically providing a mobile base for him, and some magical backup, if necessary.

Bye
Thanee
Tecumseh
The Ford Americar should be available to travel to Redmond.

Let's not forget that "Rachel witnesses a group of med-sized bound spirits searching the building, perhaps as a prelude to a move on the card". Perhaps that's more than she can intervene against personally. We should figure out what kind of spirits those are too. Fire spirits are likely from Nightmare, but non-fire spirits might be from another player.
Thanee
I guess, assensing them for some additional information should be possible (while she is still in the vincinity). smile.gif

Only 2 hits, though.

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
For two hits, it is about what information I gave you; I'll add the detail that these are fire spirits.
Thanee
Yeah, not the best roll there. biggrin.gif

Also... looks like an interesting twist with what the Muse is offering there. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
Thanks, I had fun writing it.
Tecumseh
Beta, feel free to jump in on this if Tamarind has thoughts.

I'm punting a bit in the latest IC post to try to loop the rest of the team in ICly. Maybe that helps Raven and Bobby make more informed decisions up in Redmond.
Jack_Spade
At this point we really need to talk with Vala directly - everyone is telling us different stories and moving the goal post.

Vala definitely is the only one whose opinion counts here though
Beta
QUOTE (Tecumseh @ Feb 13 2023, 05:55 AM) *
Beta, feel free to jump in on this if Tamarind has thoughts.

I'm punting a bit in the latest IC post to try to loop the rest of the team in ICly. Maybe that helps Raven and Bobby make more informed decisions up in Redmond.

Sorry, I read Gilg'a post yesterday but was honestly confused, and I'd intended to come back later to go look at the original job offer but ended up forgetting to make the time (thank you for doing so). Honestly I'm still confused, but I'll force out a post anyway, just riding with the confusion.
Gilga
If it helps, here is what I have in mind now:

1. You can help Big Stank fend off the attempts to steal his card and prevent him from destroying it. At least until the Halloweeners arrive; at that point, you let them do it or perhaps actively help them if they mess it up. This is very close to your original mission by Vala.

2. you can side with Mel, allow the theft to be performed, and then try to get Nightmare to believe that the real card was destroyed. This is the variant offered by Mel with the assumption that she can sell this solution to Vala.

3. You can do nothing, and then you may not get the 50k as Mel's employer is about to acquire the card.

I had these three options in mind, but in an open-world game and you can also come up with other options.
Jack_Spade
Correction about getting detected: Bobby has invested in masking his aura.
So it's necessary to assense him now with successes to realize he isn't just a bird.

Also he does take care to not draw attention so at the very least a stealth vs. Perception roll would be in order
Sneak: 12d6t5 2
Gilga
1. I was not aware that masking let you appear as a bird - just to the magic hiding. It is a cool trick indeed!
2. Isn't the spell itself obvious in the astral? E.g., you are the only bird that has an active spell on it? (Though I think that can be fixed with extended masking).

Jack_Spade
To see that a spell is active on you, you have to assense the aura first (and you need 3+ successes)

Extended masking is next on my list for another layer of protection
Thanee
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Feb 14 2023, 05:15 PM) *
To see that a spell is active on you, you have to assense the aura first (and you need 3+ successes)

No, you are mistaken there.

Every astral entity has its own aura (spells have their own aura). An active spell is like a bright light in astral space, just like any astrally active aura.

You do not even need to read the aura to be able to determine what kind of aura it is (i.e. a spell, a focus, a creature, or a spirit).

Without attempting to read an aura, you can still get an impression of what type of aura it is (spell, ritual, spirit, living creature, foreboding horror from beyond all mortal ken, etc.).

The 3+ successes at assensing is for Astral Signatures, which is a much more subtle thing, kinda like a fingerprint.

Bye
Thanee
Tecumseh
My (hypothetical) ruling would be closer to Thanee's interpretation.

Masking won't do anything to conceal a sustained spell. That's specifically the provenance of Extended Masking.

I thinking sneaking/hiding is valid, but if that fails then the spell will be bright and obvious.
Gilga
Alright so sneaking it is, I am editing the post.
Jack_Spade
QUOTE (Thanee @ Feb 14 2023, 05:37 PM) *
No, you are mistaken there.

Every astral entity has its own aura (spells have their own aura). An active spell is like a bright light in astral space, just like any astrally active aura.

You do not even need to read the aura to be able to determine what kind of aura it is (i.e. a spell, a focus, a creature, or a spirit).

The 3+ successes at assensing is for Astral Signatures, which is a much more subtle thing, kinda like a fingerprint.

Bye
Thanee

I'm basing my interpretation on the following

"With the skill of Assensing, you can interpret the “colors” and “brightness” of an aura to determine the wellness and state of being of the subject. [...] While astral perception allows an Awakened character to sense the astral plane, actually interpreting what you’re looking at takes practice. Interpreting auras to gain information about the person or thing to which they belong is called Assensing. If you want to learn more about an aura, you may make a Simple Assensing + Intuition [Astral]
Test, with the number of hits determining how much you learn (details are on the Assensing Table, p. 313).
Without attempting to read an aura, you can still get an impression of what type of aura it is (spell, ritual, spirit, living creature, foreboding horror from beyond all mortal ken, etc.).
Like physical perception, you don’t need to make a test to see things that are immediately obvious (and since astral forms are bright and vibrant, this means that most
astral forms are easy to spot). You only need to roll the dice when your target is trying to hide or when you’re trying to observe in detail—then you make an Assensing
Test to see what you can see."

ASSENSING TABLE
HITS INFORMATION GAINED
[...]
The presence and location of alphaware cyber implants.
Whether the subject’s Essence and Magic are higher, lower, or equal to your own.
Whether the subject’s Force is higher, lower, or equal to your Magic.
A general diagnosis for any maladies (diseases or toxins) the subject suffers.
Any astral signatures present on the subject.

The presence and location of bioware implants and betaware cyber implants.
The exact Essence, Magic, and Force of the subject.
The general cause of any astral signature (combat spell, alchemical combat spell, air spirit, and so on).

For me that means, a spell as a stand alone aura is immediately visible, but a spell as part of an existing, brighter aura needs to be assensed.

It's like a radio signal - stand alone, you have no trouble to decipher it, but if its part of other noise, you'll have to focus in on the signal to isolate it.
Thanee
You are constantly highlighting "astral signature", which is a completely different thing.

An astral signature can be detected, even after a spell is gone, as the imprint is there for several hours afterwards still.

Every spell has an aura and every spell is obvious as a spell. No test required to determine that.

Stealth is the only option you have to remain undetected there.

Bye
Thanee
Tecumseh
I think some of the differences in interpretation come from the fact that the two astral forms (Bobby and Bobby's spell) are essentially occupying the same space.

With Masking, I would say that Bobby's astral form is masked but not the spell's, even though the spell is "on" Bobby.

With Extended Masking, the mask would apply to both Bobby's aura and the spell.
Jack_Spade
I took the time to read the chapter in my German version, and I'm inclined to conceed your point.

My main problem is now: RAW anyone can recognize and identify any spell or spell like effekt without taking a moment to look and think about it.
It's like glancing for a half-second at a monitor and be automatically able to identify any icon you see there, no matter how obscure the program is.

By RAW just glancing at a person that has an ongoing suggestion effect from a spirit will reveal that fact - even if you never before have seen such an effect in action.

You only have to take an effort if the spell or effect has run its course.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012