Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ultrasound vision and improved sense adept power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Zazen
Or you could just say that the noise does come from the adept. It's kind of silly to start making these additional rules (which removes a major penalty from the adept, the need to be constantly emitting detectable ultrasound) for no real reason.
Eyeless Blond
I see a lot of people talking about ultrasound vision being viable because animals have passive or active sonar. Ultrasound vision, however, is not the same thing as active sonar, and is very much not the same thing as passive sonar. Passive sonar, IMO, is closer to what M&M calls a spacial recognizer, a way of determining the position of things based entirely on sound. Ultrasound vision is different than that in a few important ways:

*The text of ultrasound vision says nothing about locating things based on sound. Ultrasound vision gives ou no mechanical benefits for locating things based on sound, nor any of the other benefits usually associated with passive sonar, so it's safe to say that ultrasound vision is not in fact sonar. [Edit]In fact, ultrasound vision receives penalties for other active sound sources in the area: white noise generators inpose TN penalties. A sonar rig would probably have an easier time because there'd be more echoes to use.
*The text of ultrasound vision specifically mentions that an emitter is necessary. An ultrasound emitter can in no way be interpreted as a sensory organ, so it is not possible to include this aspect as part of an Improved Sense.
*The test of ultrasound vision mentions that a processor is used. This processor takes the data from the collector and processes it in order to create a visual overlay of the area, in effect allowing you to "see" the sound. I may be wrong in this, but I sincerely doubt that many animals process passive or active sonar data to the extent that they actually create a visual overlay of their surroundings; they very likely have a much less intensive--and thus less beneficial--method of processing the data.

All of this debate over natural sonar--particularly passive sonar--and ultrasound vision doesn't work. Ultrasound vision is very different from sonar: sonar does things which ultrasound vision does not do (track sound sources), and ultrasound vision does things that sonar does not do (emit sound and process it into a visual overlay.)
toturi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
*The text of ultrasound vision says nothing about locating things based on sound. Ultrasound vision gives ou no mechanical benefits for locating things based on sound, nor any of the other benefits usually associated with passive sonar, so it's safe to say that ultrasound vision is not in fact sonar. [Edit]In fact, ultrasound vision receives penalties for other active sound sources in the area: white noise generators inpose TN penalties. A sonar rig would probably have an easier time because there'd be more echoes to use.
*The text of ultrasound vision specifically mentions that an emitter is necessary. An ultrasound emitter can in no way be interpreted as a sensory organ, so it is not possible to include this aspect as part of an Improved Sense.
*The test of ultrasound vision mentions that a processor is used. This processor takes the data from the collector and processes it in order to create a visual overlay of the area, in effect allowing you to "see" the sound. I may be wrong in this, but I sincerely doubt that many animals process passive or active sonar data to the extent that they actually create a visual overlay of their surroundings; they very likely have a much less intensive--and thus less beneficial--method of processing the data.

The emitter can be a magically enhanced vocal chord.

The human brain can act as the processor.
JaronK
I know the mechanics would be different, but I think the effect should be the same. They both let you detect the location of targets via sound.

JaronK
Cain
EB: That's why I suggest calling it echolocation, instead of ultrasound vision. You don't need ultrasound, and it may not be "vision", but it is accurate enough to fight with.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Cain)
EB: That's why I suggest calling it echolocation, instead of ultrasound vision. You don't need ultrasound, and it may not be "vision", but it is accurate enough to fight with.

Yes, but it is not vision, nor should it gain the mechanical benefits of vision. What you are describing with your talk of passive sonar is exactly what the Spacial Recognizer is and how it works. This thread is not debating whether the Spacial Recognizer is or is not a valid adept Improved Sense; we already know it is. This thread is debating whether Ultrasound Vision, as described in M&M p. 18, is a valid Improved Sense, purchasable for .25 PPts. I'd like to think it has been proven that allowing such a power is both incorrect thematically and unbalanced mechanically, but not everyone seems to agree. So what are the counterarguments?
JaronK
It hardly seems unbalanced mechanically, and theoretically it's fully possible. There are many things sammies can do that adepts can't (anything invovling headware memory or image links or communications or skillwires etc.), and the ability to sense where things are well enough to fight them without seeing is a standard fantasy hallmark of the adept.

JaronK
Necrotic Monkey
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jul 17 2004, 06:15 PM)
So what are the counterarguments?

1. There's presedence for it in both nature (bats, whales, dolphins, etc.) and magic (the Enhanced Sense critter power). The Discovery Channel and other places have even talked about a small group of blind people who were practicing something similar and were becoming quite good at it. And they're not even adepts.

2. It's thematically within an adept's domain. Superhuman senses are a staple for adept's and they are one of their strongest points. They are already capable of using senses above and beyond what even cyberware can provide (such as Direction Sense and Improved Scent).

3. See #1.

4. It's hardly game breaking; it's only better than other visual-enhancements against things like Glare, Mist, and Thermal Smoke. Against darkness and other penalties, there are better options available.

5. See #1.
Cain
Yes, but it is not vision, nor should it gain the mechanical benefits of vision. What you are describing with your talk of passive sonar is exactly what the Spacial Recognizer is and how it works. This thread is not debating whether the Spacial Recognizer is or is not a valid adept Improved Sense; we already know it is. This thread is debating whether Ultrasound Vision, as described in M&M p. 18, is a valid Improved Sense, purchasable for .25 PPts. I'd like to think it has been proven that allowing such a power is both incorrect thematically and unbalanced mechanically, but not everyone seems to agree. So what are the counterarguments?

1. What exactly are the mechanical benefits of vision? Beyond simple directional abilities, it also gives one the ability to distinguish size, distance, shape, and texture. Since echolocation can do all of those things, it can and should function exactly like vision.

2. No, I'm afraid not. The spatial recognizer only allows you to determine which direction a sound is coming from. Echolocation, as mentioned above, also allows distances, shapes, and textures to be "seen". You cannot navigate a maze solely using a spatial recognizer, but you could with echolocation. (Spatial recognition abilities are still useful, since even with echolocation, you may not be able to distinguish the direction of sounds at differing frequencies than what you use for "sonar".)

3. As far as I can tell, while "ultrasound" itself may not be valid, echolocation certainly is. Echolocation is a different sense than high-frequency hearing or spatial recognition.

4. Echolocation, being a fairly common sensory ability among many different species, is certainly correct thematically for an adept of an animal totem, and even some that are not. Mechanically, I can't see how it'd be any more unbalanced than ultrasound vision itself is-- certainly, we should be applying penalties for Silence spells and white noise generators!
BitBasher
1. There's presedence for it in both nature (bats, whales, dolphins, etc.) and magic (the Enhanced Sense critter power). The Discovery Channel and other places have even talked about a small group of blind people who were practicing something similar and were becoming quite good at it. And they're not even adepts.

Okay im just curious, you keep bringing that up, but where did you get this logic from? do you think that all critter powers and/or all senses that are from any living thing should be available to adepts?
JaronK
The restriction on Adept senses is that they may not be technology based. If animals and magical critters that aren't tech based have it, then the power is not tech based, and therefor legal as an adept sense.

JaronK
BitBasher
QUOTE (JaronK)
The restriction on Adept senses is that they may not be technology based. If animals and magical critters that aren't tech based have it, then the power is not tech based, and therefor legal as an adept sense.

JaronK

But that's *not* what the description of what the power says.

QUOTE (BBB pg170")
Unless an improvement involves radio or similar technological phenomena, any sense provided by cyberware can also be provided by this power (See street geat p. 270 for more information)

This never says that you can posess any natural sense, only any sense that is available through cyberware yet doesn't involve technology specific implementations.
Necrotic Monkey
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Jul 17 2004, 07:59 PM)
1. There's presedence for it in both nature (bats, whales, dolphins, etc.) and magic (the Enhanced Sense critter power). The Discovery Channel and other places (which you conveniently removed the link of) have even talked about a small group of blind people who were practicing something similar and were becoming quite good at it. And they're not even adepts.

Okay im just curious, you keep bringing that up, but where did you get this logic from? do you think that all critter powers and/or all senses that are from any living thing should be available to adepts?

I think that anything a mundane human can achieve in 2004 is certainly valid for a magical power in 2064. Especially if they can tell, just by wondering about it, how far underground they are, identify people with utmost certainly by a simple whiff, or chemically analyze the composition of food and beverages just by tasting them.

But yes, I do also think that most any sense you can find in nature is equally valid for a supernatural power.

I've also listed examples earlier in the thread for cybernetic "senses" that wouldn't qualify for the power. Recorders, Cameras, Opti-Cams, Eye Guns, and Eye Lasers are all examples of cybernetic "senses" that truly are technology-based. You won't find them in nature, either. Well, unless you can point to an animal that can download a 100% accurate photo-realistic image into a computer. Or shoot bullets out of their eyes. Or burn through doors just by staring at them. etc.
BitBasher
Okay, now do you have any book quote to back up that it should be that way, or is that just your own opinion and personal preference?
Necrotic Monkey
The same one you keep quoting, yet mysteriously read the way you want to read it while simultaneously snubbing your nose at everyone else's. All the while claiming that the power is limited to powers that only metahumans possess, even though they clearly don't nor does the power make ANY reference to anything as absurd as that whatsoever.

In fact, one of the canonical senses of Improved Senses is equal to a computer in M&M. Namely the Improved Taste power vs. the Chemical Analyzer (which requires a program). Direction Sense is somewhat similar (though both superior and inferior in certain ways) to the Nav-Dat GPS cybernetic system, which not only requires computers and processors, but also uses a friggin' satellite network.
BitBasher
Let me quote the book again just so we're on the same page:

QUOTE (BBB p. 170)
You have a sensory improvement not normally prosessed by your race. Improvements include Low-Light or Thermographic Vision, High- or Low-Frequency hearing, and so on. Unless an improvement involves radio or similar technological phenomena, any sense provided by cyberware can also be provided by this power (See street geat p. 270 for more information)

Right?
Necrotic Monkey
Yep! And ultrasound vision is a sense not normally possessed by any race of metahuman, so it meets the first requirement. It's a standard cybernetic sense along the lines of Low-Light Vision, Thermographic Vision, and High-Frequency Hearing so it meets the second requirement. It doesn't rely on radio transmissions or reception or any other technological phenomenon -- as proven time and time again through various animals and even HUMAN BEINGS performing a similar ability -- so it meets the third requirement.

It's thus a perfectly valid power.
Person 404
It's a standard cybernetic sense along the lines of Low-Light Vision, Thermographic Vision, and High-Frequency Hearing so it meets the second requirement.

Well, or a poorly-named cybernetic advancement that combines a new sense with an ultrasonic emitter.

Edit: Kind of like getting thermo vision as an upgrade along with IR eyelights.
JaronK
QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (BBB pg170")
Unless an improvement involves radio or similar technological phenomena, any sense provided by cyberware can also be provided by this power (See street geat p. 270 for more information)

Let's seperate this into two parts. A: "any sense provided by cyberware can also be provided by this power" and B: "Unless an improvement involves radio or similar technological phenomena." Okay, so any power is legit as long as it is within the scope of A, and not a member of B, right?

Well, first off, is ultrasound (or it's equivelents) within the scope of A? Yes, ultrasound vision can be provided by cyberware. Now, is it within the restriction of B, namely being a technological phenomena such as radio? No, because non-technological beings can have this power (meta critters, whales, bats, etc).

Thus, ultrasound vision fits within that scentance.

JaronK
tjn
QUOTE (JaronK @ Jul 17 2004, 09:35 PM)
No, because non-technological beings can have this power.

Can you provide a page reference for that? That any creature possesses Ultrasound Vision? I'll answer that for you. There aren't any.

Echolocation and Sonar (SOund NAvagation Ranging) do not have any visual output without technological assistance.

Then again there's the whole balance issue of allowing anything "found in nature" to be a guide for Adepts.

I want quills on my Adept!
I want gills!
I want a gland I can spray at people with!
I want fangs and neurotoxin!
I want adaptive camouflage!

Pretty soon we have Animal Boy, who's on run from tabloids everywhere. Not an Adept, who's theme is improvement of their metahuman body and mind expressed internally via magic.

And if one wants to start allowing Paranormal Animals for Improved Senses...

Auras! I want my Adept to be covered in flames! It's found in nature!
Fading! I'll make the ultimate Stealth Adept! It's found in nature!
Every Adept needs Hardened Armor! It's found in nature!
Regeneration's good.... It's found in nature!

Essence Drain! To finally completely screw over Sammies after taking everything that was unique to them! It's found in nature!

Why only take the Sammie's toys, let's take the Full Magician's toys too with Magical Skills as an Adept power! It's found in nature!
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (tjn)
I want quills on my Adept!
I want gills!
I want a gland I can spray at people with!
I want fangs and neurotoxin!
I want adaptive camouflage!

Pretty soon we have Animal Boy, who's on run from tabloids everywhere. Not an Adept, who's theme is improvement of their metahuman body and mind expressed internally via magic.

SURGE?
tjn
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
SURGE?

As SURGE? That's half the point to become the Amazing Freak Boy, ostracized by a xenophobic society and then either left to the dregs of society or pointed at as a side show attraction.

That's not in the Adept's providence though.
Necrotic Monkey
Then by your logic, none of the adept powers are within the adept's providence then. Mere mortals cannot do any of the things an adept can do. Because, you know, they use magic to do it and stuff.

Improved Reflexes? Bzzt, sorry, that's a "sammy's toy." Mere mortals are stuck at Initiative 1D6. Only magic and technology can alter that, neither of which an adept can apparently use. Even though they do.

Improved Ability? Whoa, no way there, bucko. They have to learn the skill just like everyone else (especially since this power specifically isn't skill-related). Anything else requires magic or technology. They have neither.

Improved Senses? Again, no, sorry... most of those are in a sammy's cybernetic domain or are found in nature and... gosh darn it... adept's aren't supposed to be able to duplicate either. Especially the latter, else they'd be "freaky animal boys."

Boosted Attribute? That's straight out of the Incredible Hulk -- no way, buddy. I ain't havin' no green muscle freak in my games!

Astral Perception? Oh, yeah, right... okay... like that's going to happen. That's pure magic, and that's definitely not allowed to adepts!

Rooting? As in becoming nigh immovable through magic? There's that darn "m" word again... sorry, adepts, not gonna happen.

Killing Hands? Wot!? The ability to kung fu spirits as if they were magical? Clearly that's waaaaaay out of their ability, too. Strike... well, whatever number we're on now.

Magic Sense? See "Astral Perception" above. Add Empathic Sense there, too.

Magic Resistance? Why would they be able to resist magic any better than anyone else? That's not normal! Only magicians should be able to have spell defense! Foul! Foul!

Distance Strike? Don't get me started.

Delay Damage? Dude, I said DON'T get me started.

etc.

ohplease.gif
Person 404
I'm not sure how this really addresses what he was saying.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (JaronK @ Jul 17 2004, 09:35 PM)
Thus, ultrasound vision fits within that scentance.

Except for the part where it's not a *sense*. Saying that M&M's Ultrasound vision is a sense because it involves hearing sound reflected from the target is akin to saying that a thrown punch is a sense because it involves touching the target. Sure, part of it is a sense, but there's a whole lot--probably the most important parts--that aren't a sense.

(Edit): By the way, this is not to say that Ultrasound Vision cannot be an adept power; in fact, it probably should be, for many of the reasons Necromatic Misfit Lime and Cain mentioned. But it doesn't go under the catchall category of an Improved Sense, and there's no way that power should cost only .25PP (I'd say .5 at *least*, maybe even .75).
Necrotic Monkey

He's saying that if it's found in nature, it's not allowable in his games because that'll create "freaky animal boys." He's saying that if it duplicates a cybernetic implant, it's clearly out of bounds for an adept. He's saying that if its purely magical, it's out of their domain because that belongs to magicians (even though his last point is an adept power). etc.
Necrotic Monkey
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jul 17 2004, 11:10 PM)
Except for the part where it's not a *sense*. Saying that M&M's Ultrasound vision is a sense because it involves hearing sound reflected from the target is akin to saying that a thrown punch is a sense because it involves touching the target. Sure, part of it is a sense, but there's a whole lot--probably the most important parts--that aren't a sense.

Better remove Improved Taste from their list, then, too. Since it duplicates the effects of a Chemical Analyzer, which isn't a sense but a computer processor with sophisticated software. Same goes for Direction Sense since it's duplicating a Nav-Dat GPS system which is just a computer that gets data from a satellite network and processes it into legible data. Same goes for {insert any other power here} since its {insert any other technological equivalent here}.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
Better remove Improved Taste from their list, then, too. Since it duplicates the effects of a Chemical Analyzer, which isn't a taste but a computer processor. Same goes for Direction Sense since it's duplicating a Nav-Dat GPS system which is just a computer that gets data from a satellite network. Same goes for {insert any other power here} since its {insert any other technological equivalent here}.

I'm not objecting over the technological aspect, although that is certainly another point of debate. I'm objecting because the ultrasound emitter in Ultrasound Vision is no more a sense than someone's vocal cords or a set of headphones is a sense.
Necrotic Monkey
Then make yourself feel better and rewrite it in the same fashion they rewrote a few other senses for Improved Sense.

Echolocation: The adept has the ability to sense his surroundings by listening to the ambient sound of the area. This sense works in the same fashion as Ultrasound Vision, but is passive in nature. If there is no ambient sound in the area, the adept must create some of his own in order to "see" his surroundings. This can be done by doing things like clicking his tongue, tapping a cane, whistling, or using an ultrasound emitter (if he also has High Frequency Hearing).

There.
JaronK
Ultrasound comprehension is a sense. Go look up what "sense" is in the dictionary.

And yes, no one here is saying the adept gets ultrasound shooting out of one eye and back in the other like the cyberware. We're just saying that the ability to create comprehensible images of your environment via sonic information is a sense (just like the ability to create comprehensible images of your environment via eletromagnetic information, i.e. vision, is a sense), and that it's a sense that cyberware can mimic, and it's not purely technological (since some things can successfully create such mental images using sound), and thus is allowable for adepts.

JaronK
Person 404
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)

He's saying that if it's found in nature, it's not allowable in his games because that'll create "freaky animal boys." He's saying that if it duplicates a cybernetic implant, it's clearly out of bounds for an adept. He's saying that if its purely magical, it's out of their domain because that belongs to magicians (even though his last point is an adept power). etc.

Maybe I'm missing something, but he didn't seem to be saying that; just that "it's found in nature" does not make it a viable adept power. I'm going to have to go with the school that would allow this as an adept power, but not an improved sense, from what I've seen.
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)

He's saying that if it's found in nature, it's not allowable in his games because that'll create "freaky animal boys."

No Doc, you're completely missing the point. Please do not try and talk as if you were me. Last time I checked, you weren't.

I'm saying that "found in nature" is not a valid reasoning to be allowed as an Adept power. There is nothing in the rules, nor in the themes of Adepts to ever suggest such a mockery.

Primarily because that has jack to do with Adepts. Adepts are loosely based upon the mythical martial art masters who were capable of extrodinary bodily control and focus. Not Bat Boy.

He's saying that if it duplicates a cybernetic implant, it's clearly out of bounds for an adept.

And I'm not saying that at all either Doc, specifically because it's spelled out otherwise (with the exception of purely technological requirements, such as an emitter and the processor required to visualize sound) in the book. Either learn some reading comprehension skills, or stop trying to intentionally misinterpret what I'm saying.

He's saying that if its purely magical, it's out of their domain because that belongs to magicians (even though his last point is an adept power).  etc.

I was about to argue against this due to your combattive nature... but it's completely true.

Adepts blend magic with the advancement of their mind and body internally. Anyways, there's already a way to blend the two styles, but as a "magician adept" with rating A magic and not as a normal adept.
Necrotic Monkey
I'm saying that "found in nature" is not a valid reasoning to be allowed as an Adept power. There is nothing in the rules, nor in the themes of Adepts to ever suggest such a mockery.

And I was turning that argument around and trying to show you how stupid it sounded to me. Complaining that it's not a valid argument, while simultaneously clutching to the idea that they can give themselves other abilities found in nature because it's holistic and natural, while simultnaeously dismissing an equally natural and holistic ability (that normal, mundane humans have the ability to develop) is the very definition of absurd as far as I'm concerned.

And I'm not saying that at all either Doc, specifically because it's spelled out otherwise (with the exception of purely technological requirements, such as an emitter and the processor required to visualize sound) in the book. Either learn some reading comprehension skills, or stop trying to intentionally misinterpret what I'm saying.

What you can't seem to comprehend is that that's the explanation for the technological version of the sense. As has been pointed out, Direction Sense is an Internal GPS system, even though an Internal GPS system is just a "processor" that reads satellite data. Clearly that's beyond an adept's ability according to you. Same goes for Improved Taste and a Chemical Analyzer. Improved Reflexes does the same thing as Wired Reflexes, so obviously the power must work the same way as the implant, huh? Nope -- they just have the same end effect. The process they use to get there is completely different. Ultrasound Vision is on the exact same field.

Adepts blend magic with the advancement of their mind and body internally. Anyways, there's already a way to blend the two styles, but as a "magician adept" with rating A magic and not as a normal adept.

Then explain Astral Perception, Magic Sense, Magic Resistance, Distance Strike, Delay Damage, Killing Hands, Rooting, Divination, Psychometry, Masking, Enchanting, and the countless other purely magical Adept Powers and abilities at their disposal.
tjn
And I was turning that argument around and trying to show you how stupid it sounded to me.

By intentionally misinterpreting my words? It only shows how you interpret what I say. Which I have to say is far away from reality.

Complaining that it's not a valid argument, while simultaneously clutching to the idea that they can give themselves other abilities found in nature because it's holistic and natural, while simultnaeously dismissing an equally natural and holistic ability is the very definition of absurd as far as I'm concerned.

Show me any place where I advocated "natural and holistic" as a valid guideline for adept powers. Clue: I have never done so. Claiming I do is the absurdity.

What you can't seem to comprehend is that that's the explanation for the technological version of the sense

Which part? The fact that it requires an emitter, or the fact it requires a processor to turn it into a visual input?

As has been pointed out, Direction Sense is an Internal GPS system, even though an Internal GPS system is just a "processor" that reads satellite data.

Dear lord it's not. Spatial awareness is NOT the same as reading three signals from space to triangulate your position upon a global sphere. GPS signals don't tell you where you're facing and Direction Sense doesn't give you latitude and longitude.

Clearly that's beyond an adept's ability according to you.

Knowing which way the Adept's facing? Or recieving three signals to triangulate one's position on a sphere? Facing? Yes. Signals? No.

Same goes for Improved Taste and a Chemical Analyzer.

No again. They are not the same, despite both needing the Chemistry skill for full application. One gives you the information you're drinking a spicy flavored beer with a mickey slipped in it. The other breaks it down and can tell you what exact percentage is alcohol, how much water is in the drink, and what exact spices were used to create that flavoring. Oh yeah there's an anomalous reading of substance (gives Chemical breakdown of said mickey).

A matter of detail and interpretation. They are not the same thing.

Improved Reflexes does the same thing as Wired Reflexes, so obviously the power must work the same way as the implant, huh?  Nope -- they just have the same end effect.  The process they use to get there is completely different.

Show me the adept that reacted too fast and blew off the kid's face for asking for some ice cream. Wait, that's an effect of cyber that does not transfer between the two. So while there are simularities, they are not the same.

Ultrasound Vision is on the exact same field.

If by that, you mean there should be a power that halves visability modifiers... you know, I think you should take a look at Blind Fighting. But if you mean translating sound into a visuals without synesthesia, I'm going to have to disagree. Vehemently.

Then explain Astral Perception, Magic Sense, Magic Resistance, Distance Strike, Delay Damage, Killing Hands, Rooting, and the countless other purely magical Adept Powers.

You don't pay much attention to the mythical martial art masters do you?

Each of those have been claimed by one master or another in some period of time.

Some are more mythical then others, but I have seen videos of said masters snuffing out candles 20 feet away. And thus fit within the perview of Adepts.
Necrotic Monkey
I'm not going to bother to quote endlessly, so I'll just touch on five quick points even though it's obviously futile.

1. Improved Taste does allow the adept to detect the ingredients in food and drink; it's the primary ability of the power Detecting a mickey is a secondary ability. Just like a Chemical Analyzer. Same basic end result, different means of getting there.

2. Direction Sense does duplicate most of the abilities of an Internal GPS. If you had ever bothered to read the rules for an Internal GPS, you'd also realize it wasn't a Nav-Dat GPS system; it speficially does not include the ability to use mapsofts. It simply tells the implantee where they are in a basic fashion. Direction Sense does the same basic thing, but instead of exact location it tells you direction and depth as opposed to latitude and longitude. Same basic result, different means of getting there.

3. You were the one complaining that adepts shouldn't be able to perform purely magical abilities because they only improve their internal selves. Yet you have no problem with purely EXTERNAL powers that rely, in no way whatsoever, on natural augmentations of natural abilities of a mundane human. Distance Strike, Delay Damage, Astral Perception, Magic Resistance, Killing Hands, and etc. are all WELL outside of that defintion YOU declared. ohplease.gif

4. So you have no problem with a character having Ultrasound Vision as long as they call it Blind Fighting (even though it's not the same and share no similarities whatsoever), but you do have a problem with a character having Ultrasound Vision if they call it Echolocation and use it as an Improved Sense. Right. Okay. Whatever.

5. And this one you keep conveniently ignoring so I'll bold it just for you even though I'm sure you're going to continue to ignore it: Normal, mundane humans are capable of using echolocation. That's a hell of a lot closer to a natural human ability (more of a skill, really) than most ANY other adept power in the book, INCLUDING thermographic vision or low-light vision. And it's sure as hell a lot closer than Astral Perception or any of the other 100% purely magical abilities they possess.
BitBasher
I'm not going to bother to quote endlessly, so I'll just touch on five quick points even though it's obviously futile.
Off to a great start in this post!

2. Direction Sense does duplicate most of the abilities of an Internal GPS. If you had ever bothered to read the rules for an Internal GPS, you'd also realize it wasn't a Nav-Dat GPS system; it speficially does not include the ability to use mapsofts. It simply tells the implantee where they are in a basic fashion.
Right, it tells people their global coordinates, latitude and longitude, not facing.

Direction Sense does the same basic thing, but instead of exact location it tells you direction and depth as opposed to latitude and longitude.
So it tells you your dacing and altitude but not your facing. If you consider two things that are different the same thing, then yeah that makes sense. The only overlap there is altitude. That's it. GPS doesnt do facing and direction sense doesnt do location.

Normal, mundane humans are capable of using echolocation.
Reference please? and normal is a misnomer here becuase if they're normal they sure as hell cant perform echolocation, that by definition would make them abnormal. Links? Lab studies please?

You may also want to work at arguing points that people actually said instead of falslely acusing them of saying something then using that as the basis of an argument. Try having a conversation without ever expanding the scope of what somoeine is arguing in order to more easily attack it. I don't think it's possible for you to meed someone's argument head on. You never make a common habit of not arguing the point but instead exaggerating their point then arguing the exaggeration. Try arguing their actual points instead.
Necrotic Monkey
I'm not going to link the same link multiple times in the thread. Look it up yourself. You're the one not only replied to the very paragraph that included the link, but edited out when replying to it anyway. As for telling me how to post: bite me.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
I'm not going to link the same link multiple times in the thread. Look it up yourself. You're the one not only replied to the very paragraph that included the link, but edited out when replying to it anyway. As for telling me how to post: bite me.

Er, I didnt edit anything out, it doesnt maintain links when you copy and paste.
Necrotic Monkey
Then maybe you're the one who should learn to read what someone else is posting before demanding they provide a link, especially when you're quoting the very source of the link.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
Then maybe you're the one who should learn to read what someone else is posting before demanding they provide a link, especially when you're quoting the very source of the link.

I didn't demand anything, I asked for it, and I even said please. Twice. and yes, I missed that link.

Again, you address nothing about the argument whatsoever except to point out a mistake on my part. If you're going to drop a thread by posting nothing new or worthwhile, why do it by firing parting shots at people?
Necrotic Monkey
Because I've already said what I had to say. You and others prefer to nitpick minor two-bit aspects of a post while ignoring the meat of the argument because, apparently, you don't have a solid leg to stand on. Instead, you prefer to whine and bitch about other people in a holier-than-thou fashion. Repeatedly. Ad nauseum.

Notice your complete and total lack of a response now that you got your precious link, too. You instead opted to post another whining, hypocritical message about nothing. Tell yourself that you were being polite all you like. The animosity in your "pleases" was bluntly obvious. I just don't try to hide mine.

Hell, I'm still waiting for your response to your last post in which you cited the quote for the Improved Sense power.
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey @ Jul 18 2004, 02:02 AM)

Bitbasher struck true, but I'm going to try and pound it home here.

By not "bothering to quote endlessly" you are generalizing and obfuscating in an attempt to ignore any point that you can not address. If you refuse to address my own points, under what right do you claim any credence to your own?

You deserve no respect of your own point if you insist on not respecting the point of those you debate with.

1.  Improved Taste does allow the adept to detect the ingredients in food and drink; it's the primary ability of the power  Detecting a mickey is a secondary ability.  Just like a Chemical Analyzer.  Same basic end result, different means of getting there.

You just skipped my point. Again. Did you even read what I wrote or are you spouting off randomly now?

A matter of detail and interpretation. They are not the same thing. Without the built-in program a Chemical Analyizer is worthless. Without Chemistry, Improved Taste is still useful. With a built-in program, a Chemical Analyizer will still be able to give the chemical composition of the ingrediant, an Adept with Improved Taste that doesn't recognize the taste will have no clue what he just ate.

2.  Direction Sense does duplicate most of the abilities of an Internal GPS.  If you had ever bothered to read the rules for an Internal GPS, you'd also realize it wasn't a Nav-Dat GPS system; it speficially does not include the ability to use mapsofts.  It simply tells the implantee where they are in a basic fashion.  Direction Sense does the same basic thing, but instead of exact location it tells you direction and depth as opposed to latitude and longitude.  Same basic result, different means of getting there.

Do you have any clue how a GPS works? All GPS does is give you three numbers. That's it. Where you are on a globe and how far are you up or down relative to sea level. It does not give any information about the area around the individual.

Direction Sense is more like a compass with the added ability to know how high or low you are relative to the local area.

Two people, one in quadrant g7 and the other in f8are moving NW at ground level.

The Direction Sense is going to give them the exact same answer, while the GPS will give two very distinctly different ones.

3.  You were the one complaining that adepts shouldn't be able to perform purely magical abilities because they only improve their internal selves.

This is correct. Magical aspects of internal control and focus are the very heart of an Adept.

et you have no problem with purely EXTERNAL powers

Yet Doc, these are not purely external powers. They are an external MANIFESTATION of that internal power.

that rely, in no way whatsoever, on natural augmentations of natural abilities of a mundane human.

There you go with that natural bullshit again. I don't care if it's "natural" or not. That's your criteria. One that's not show as a guideline in any shape or form at all in the BBB or MitS.

Distance Strike, Delay Damage, Astral Perception, Magic Resistance, Killing Hands, and etc. are all WELL outside of that defintion YOU declared. ohplease.gif

ohplease.gif yourself Doc. You are insisting on arguing that I defined Adepts within your view. Which I don't and have never done so. I catagorically reject the idea that "nature" as a guideline for what is or is not proper for Adepts.

4.  So you have no problem with a character having Ultrasound Vision

I have every problem with an Adept "seeing" sound without some form of technological assistance.

as long as they call it Blind Fighting (even though it's not the same and share no similarities whatsoever)

No, it's not the same, but they do share simular effects (and thus mechanics), but they go about it differently. Differently such that the level of detail, and the interpretation differ. Sound familuar?

but you do have a problem with a character having Ultrasound Vision if they call it Echolocation and use it as an Improved Sense.  Right.  Okay.  Whatever.

Not only is it silly, but it begins to let in game balance concerns.

5.  And this one you keep conveniently ignoring so I'll bold it just for you even though I'm sure you're going to continue to ignore it:

Others addressed it, and rather then seeming to pile on, I left it to address other posts, this being the first one you brought it up into which I responded to.

You see I quote the entire post that I respond to, to make it obvious to everyone that I respect the point enough to either agree with, or counter.

Normal, mundane humans are capable of using echolocation.

I've seen this. They even are good enough to ride bikes by it. They also have crap for detail. They can tell if a car's in their way no problem. Asking them to make a three dimensional visual representation (such as the sense that Ultrasound Vison generates) is another thing entirely.

Plus their perception is entirely related to themselves as the reference point.

That's a hell of a lot closer to a natural human ability (more of a skill, really) than most ANY other adept power in the book, INCLUDING thermographic vision or low-light vision.

Again. You're the one that cares about natural. I couldn't find a rat's ass in which to give you.

And it's sure as hell a lot closer than Astral Perception or any of the other 100% purely magical abilities they possess.

Reading other people's aura's and the emotional charge of the area around the perciever is not as "purely magical" as you try to make it out as. It's called empathy, and it's a skill that a lot of people have. Astral perception is an outgrowth of this and is in no way "100% purely magical."
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
Because I've already said what I had to say.

Which includes not responding to our points then? Do you just not see them? or does your willful ignorance expand to this as well?

You and others prefer to nitpick minor two-bit aspects of a post while ignoring the meat of the argument because

Oh horse hockey. You refuse to address our points in any shape or fashion. All that we have left is to blast your ill-concived notions out of the water.

apparently, you don't have a solid leg to stand on.

Our solid leg is there. Our points are there. Yet you refuse to address them. Do not claim that they don't exist because you refuse to see them.

Instead, you prefer to whine and bitch about other people in a holier-than-thou fashion.  Repeatedly.  Ad nauseum.

Do you simply assume that everyone that doesn't agree with you is just whining and bitching? Or are you now using the link in Bitbasher's sig as a checklist?

Notice your complete and total lack of a response now that you got your precious link, too.

Consider it adressed. Echolocation is not the equivlent of a fully detailed real time visual representation.

You instead opted to post another whining, hypocritical message about nothing.  Tell yourself that you were being polite all you like.  The animosity in your "pleases" was bluntly obvious.  I just don't try to hide mine.

Quit stating your opinion as fact. The only evidence to believe Bit might have been as you state was his reaction to your combative nature. He stated it wasn't intended as your percieved it. As no one can read his mind and tell if he was lying or not, accept it and move on.

Hell, I'm still waiting for your response to your last post in which you cited the quote for the Improved Sense power.

Why would he respond to his own post? Clarification needed.
Necrotic Monkey
And you're going to continue to see me ignore 90% of what you have to say simply because I find posts with endless quotes in it even more obnoxious than myself.

QUOTE (tjn)
I've seen this. They even are good enough to ride bikes by it. They also have crap for detail. They can tell if a car's in their way no problem. Asking them to make a three dimensional visual representation (such as the sense that Ultrasound Vison generates) is another thing entirely.

And in almost the same breath...

QUOTE (tjn)
Reading other people's aura's and the emotional charge of the area around the perciever is not as "purely magical" as you try to make it out as. It's called empathy, and it's a skill that a lot of people have. Astral perception is an outgrowth of this and is in no way "100% purely magical."

FASCINATING!

So you're now arguing that it's okay to have a magical power that magnifies a person's questionable ability to kinda-sorta get an idea for how someone else is feeling sometimes to the point where they can tell exactly what toxins they have in their system, the exact disease(s) they're suffering from, their exact emotional state, the reason for that exact emotion they're currently feeling (riots, murder, etc.), their exact game mechanic stats, and other similar information. And with Psychometry and Sensing, those powers are magnified several-fold more.

But at the same time you're arguing that a relatively mild magical augmentation (considering it only halves visual penalties as opposed to completely eliminating them) of an ability most humans possess (though few have had the need or desire to hone) to use echolocation is totally, wholly, and inconceiveably inappropriate as an adept power.

And you're still wondering why I'm not bothering very much with your posts? You can't even keep your own arguments consistant in the same one.

Why don't you go on a rant about how Improved Sense: Optical Magnification is wholly inappropriate, too, because it turns adepts into "freaky animal boys" by giving them eagle eyes that zoom in and out as they focus. Or how Improved Sense: Improved Scent turns adepts into "freaky animal boys" by causing their noses to grow and elongate into the shape of a bloodhound's. Or how Improved Sense: Thermographic Sense causes adepts to turn into "freaky [troll] boys" by making their eyes grow to the size of a troll's since they're now mimicking a natural troll ability? etc. Afterall, you're claiming that Improved Sense: Ultrasound Vision turns them into "freaky animal boys" by making them squeal like a dolphin. Might as well apply your logic across the board instead of only hiding behind it when it suits your point.
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey @ Jul 18 2004, 04:02 AM)
And you're going to continue to see me ignore 90% of what you have to say simply because I find posts with endless quotes in it even more obnoxious than myself.

And you're going to continue to see me beat you over the head with it. If you can't deal with the debate without selective exaggeration and trying to reinterpret my words out of context, just drop out now. You're beat, you realize it (if only subconciously), and are trying to distract your way out of the debate by turning it away from the fact that no one can interpret sound visually without the help of technology or a mental condition.

QUOTE (tjn)

And in almost the same breath...

QUOTE (tjn)

FASCINATING!

So you're now arguing that it's okay to have a magical power that magnifies a person's questionable ability to kinda-sorta get an idea for how someone else is feeling sometimes to the point where they can tell exactly what toxins they have in their system, the exact disease(s) they're suffering from, their exact emotional state, the reason for that exact emotion they're currently feeling (riots, murder, etc.), their exact game mechanic stats, and other similar information.

One, again stop trying to force words in my mouth.

Secondly, where is the word exact in the following sentences that was pulled from page 171, under the description of Assensing, the act in which you are refering to.

"By assensing something's aura, you can gain information. The auras of living being show their general health, emotions, and magical nature (if any)."

Hey Blue, how about a Clue? It isn't there. The adept will never know the exact toxins, diseases, emotions, reasons for that emotion, stats, or other information without the background skills to back it up. The player will recieve this information, but like a GM telling telling a player they have a +8 to their TN due to the darkness, the adept will only know it's dreking dark, not they have a +8 modifier to all their shots.

"It looked like HHMHV, no I don't know what strain, do I look like a parazoologist?"
"It looked like VITAS, no I don't know which one, do I look like a doctor?"
"Drek man... that room was filled with some nasty emotion, I think maybea rape or murder must have taken place in there."
"Frag it man, that guy has a drekload of mana in him... he aint no Dunkelzhan, but I'm still not messing with that chummer."

With time, effort, and the proper Knowledge skills, a character will be able to interpret what they see into the exact results you describe.

"It was just a ghoul man, least is wasn't a bandersnatch."
"It looked to be an offshoot of the first VITAS, I thought they wiped it out a decade ago?"
"I've seen a lot of crime scenes... this one stunk of murder."
"Psh, he's only an Initiate of the Third Circle. I have students further along then he is.

But at the same time you're arguing that a magical augmentation of an ability most humans possess (though few have had the need or desire to hone) to use echolocation is totally, wholly, and inconceiveably inappropriate as an adept power.

I have my misgivings about echolocation (The adventures of Bat Boy has no place in my version of Shadowrun), but then again... maybe to put it in bold so you can catch it: echolocation is not Ultrasound Vision.

And you're still wondering why I'm not bothering very much with your posts?

After I realized the only point of view you are capable of seeing is your own, and therefore are trying to force every other view through your own view point... it's kind of lessened. Now it's devolved into a sort of sick "Whack-a-Mole" game in reference to your points since you're utterly incapable of viewing outside of your selective viewpoint.

Edited for clarity and formatting. See, it's easy to do Doc.
Raife
I'd allow it as a GM, as a matter of fact I have allowed it as a GM.

The character chose to be blind (2pt flaw cus of the ultrasound). The final fight for the character happened in a bamboo gardern, where the thick bamboo shoots made it nearly impossible for him to see his attacker.

It was probably the greatest single fight scene I have EVER run, and even though the character died ,the player thought it was an awesome way to go.

Ultrasound vision doesn't HURT the game any when a samurai has it, why would it suddenly hurt when a phys ad has it? If it makes the game more fun for the player without severely damaging the game, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to outlaw it. Anyone who thinks a phys-ad with ultrasound would cause "problems" either has delusions, or doesn't know how to handle a munchkin player... although why a munchkin would play a phys-ad over a rigger/mage I don't know.
tjn
QUOTE (Raife)
I'd allow it as a GM, as a matter of fact I have allowed it as a GM.

And that's your perogative.

The character chose to be blind (2pt flaw cus of the ultrasound).  The final fight for the character happened in a bamboo gardern, where the thick bamboo shoots made it nearly impossible for him to see his attacker.

It was probably the greatest single fight scene I have EVER run, and even though the character died ,the player thought it was an awesome way to go.

Sounds like a wonderful story and a good show where everyone had fun.

Ultrasound vision doesn't HURT the game any when a samurai has it, why would it suddenly hurt when a phys ad has it?

Because it takes the themes of the two distinct styles out behind the shed to the weed whacker. And that does hurt the game in my opinion.

Personally I take the themes of magic meeting technology (and the resulting clashing or fusion) seriously. A Street Samurai is selling his soul, bit by bit to remain "on the razor's edge." By allowing any technological edge for a Street Samurai to be replicated by an Adept's power point, the theme of the Street Samurai is diminshed, as well as adding game balance issues.

If an Adept can have everything a Street Sam can have, plus the other bonuses unique to Adepts and without the penalties that come with 'ware, there would be no point to play a Street Sam from a game balance point of view.

If SR came out with a piece of cyber called "Advanced Neuromuscular Controllers" that for 0.1 Essence for a physical non-combat skill or 0.25 for a combat skill gave a +1 to the character's effective skill per rating, limited in rating to the skill rating itself, there would be a suitable case for disenfrancisement of the Adepts.

If it makes the game more fun for the player without severely damaging the game, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to outlaw it.

I am of the opinion that it does violate the main focus of Magic and Technology to treat it so cavalierly.

Anyone who thinks a phys-ad with ultrasound would cause "problems" either has delusions, or doesn't know how to handle a munchkin player....

Nice attack. If you do not personally respect themes, styles and tones, more power to you. Those of us that do would kindly ask you to not assume we're all mentally ill. At least until you meet us in person.

although why a munchkin would play a phys-ad over a rigger/mage I don't know.

Because munchkins usually have a theme with their characters, and that theme is usually fairly simple if blatantly absurd in the context of the game?
Neuron Basher
Blanket warning: This thread is veering very close to the "Lock Me" lane. Let's keep it civil and lay off the personal attacks, folks.
Necrotic Monkey
QUOTE (tjn)
After I realized the only point of view you are capable of seeing is your own, and therefore are trying to force every other view through your own view point... it's kind of lessened. Now it's devolved into a sort of sick "Whack-a-Mole" game in reference to your points since you're utterly incapable of viewing outside of your selective viewpoint.

Maybe you should go back and read over your posts sometime, then. I do so love hypocrisy. I truly, truly do.

It's always fascinated me how someone sticking to their opinion and arguing it is considered "bad" when it's not you, but when it's you it's perfectly okay because you're so much smarter than everyone else. Afterall, you're "an lit major." You know what you're talking about.
Raife
Note, if you want to skip all this crap I wrote, but still have some idea of what I said (I'm honored if you do) then skip down to the section marked "Summation of Long Winded Post" in big bold letters.

If SR came out with a piece of cyber called "Advanced Neuromuscular Controllers" that for 0.1 Essence for a physical non-combat skill or 0.25 for a combat skill gave a +1 to the character's effective skill per rating, limited in rating to the skill rating itself, there would be a suitable case for disenfrancisement of the Adepts.

I would like to draw your attention to page74 of Man & Machine... the bioware in question is called "Reflex Recorder" and of .25 essence you can indeed get a +1 to a combat skill (or any physical skill)... for specializations the cost drops to .1 essence. The only difference between what you just talked about with "Advanced Neuromuscular Controllers" and "Rexflex Recorders" is the limit of how many dice you can have.

Personally I see "ultrasound hearing" for an adept less like echolocation, and more like daredevils power. The characters field of vision simply drops from "straigh line where he is looking" to "3 meeters in all directions".

As for themes, I would have to respectfully disagree with how the themes for characters are setup. I do not see the rules as a way to enforce themes and world texture. I would like to use a made up example from movies.

Jet Li walks into a room, and someone throws a knife at him... quickly he leans back a quater of an inch with his extreme reflexes, the knife slams into the wall behind him, he grabs it and hurles it back at his assailant. All the while wooshing sounds are played over an empty music track... Jet Li's face remains calm and collected, the scene is done in one single shot.

Robocop walks into a room, and someone throws a knife at him... quickly he slams his palm into the knife, deflecing it into the wall behind him. He then pulls out his gun and shoots the assailant in the kneecap, so that he can be easily arrested. There is a techno track playing over the entire scene, the camera zooms in on the knife as it is flung through the air, and the assailant is seen cackling as he initially attacked robocop.

When you build themes in a movie or book, the actions the characters take are descibed differently, they are not given different actions. In Camu's "The Stranger" for example, the main character does not "shoot" the arab, instead "the trigger gives way, and the gun fires". This premotes the sense of detachment that the character feels (like a street samurai who has given up to much of his soul for cyber).

To retain the integrity of theme and texture of story components one does not alter the meta-canvas. To show the difference between Jet Li and Robocop you alter the shots used, the music and the special effects type, movie makers do not need to drastically alter how movies are percieved to accomplish this. Altering the perception of how movies are made is a tool to make someone appreciate the art form.

Themes are tools, and a product of the genre, not a goal in and of themselves. The theme of "Man's Inhumanity to Man" is a product of Vonegut's "Slaughterhouse 5", but that theme is a tool to ask questions about the nature of freedom, and our own will against that of the universe at large.

Every game is a different story, and thusly should have different themes. The game I am running now uses a strong "lost history" theme, that means I disuade players from taking ancient history skills at player creation, but reseach skills would be highly recommended.

Now time for the "attack" as one person called my flipant comment about delusions and munchkins. I did not intend it to be an attack, but as I failed to correctly use my "canvas" of online forum, to get across my theme of "jocular dismissal" I need to in the future be more careful.

If telling a shadowrun story means crafting the theme and motif of your game purely from rules then your game will begin to feel more "stifled" very quickly. If you are going for a claustraphobic "big brother" game where magic is limited by metagame rules, then that is what you will succeeed in. If this is your goal (and these games can be wonderfully fun) there are some other steps you are probably taking to accomplish it, and ultrasound hearing would not be appropriate to the theme of your game.

If you want magic to feel natural, and "part of the world" then I would be hard pressed to explain to a player why a character cannot learn to magically hear the location and rough density of objects.

Summation to Long Winded Post
Shadowrun is a game where each game is different. Discussions over whether or not something is "possible" in the Shadowrun universe is subject only to the universe of one persons game. While the authors of Shadowrun give us a large set of tools to tell our stories, in the end, it is our job (and there wish) for us to tell those stories as we see fit. If they did not want us exploring these situations in our own games, they would have written novels.

This discussion should be more veered towards why we each choose to allow, or not allow, ultrasound sight for physical adepts in our game. As clear cases could be made for both opinions, but neither side will ever be "right" as each Gamemasters game is different.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012