Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ultrasound vision and improved sense adept power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Da9iel
rotfl.gif
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Da9iel)
First, humans are not whales. Second, some questions about the sonar operators.

1) Do they make the maps update in real time such that a person could walk around and respond to a changing environment?

2) Is it fair to compare underwater sonar with air sonar?

3) Are the maps of sufficient quality that they equate to vision with dim lighting?

If yes to all three questions, then I am wrong. Please mentally retract my statements. If no to any, then I think I'll stand by my +4 modifier and .5 power points.

[EDIT]Active sonar is much, much more accurate, isn't it? And whales do make calls while echo locating, don't they?[/EDIT]

Some back of the napkin calculation says that sound goes about 300 meters a second (in air), this means that sonar would 'lag' 2 seconds at 300 meters, 1 second at 150 meters, and .5 seconds at 75 meters. So it's useful range is very limited, don't expect to detect incomming cars or anything. IIRC shotgun ranges top out at 100 meters, maybe using the range table for shotguns as a perception modifier for sonar?

The speed of sounds in water is around 5 times as fast, which is one of the reasons that sonat works so well under water, much less lag.

Your reception of sonar also depends on the percision and size of your receiver. Since the sound will be scattered and reflected a lot of the reflections will 'miss' you receiver if it 's not too big, this means that you will have a hard time figuring out very vurvy or angeled objects, you'll know something is there but nor it's exact shape or size. For stuff like 4 walls, ceiling, floor, etc it'll work quite well, since the shapes are very flat.

Assuming a very large parallel computing array (like the brain), you can still generate very good real time data... O/c it will be greatly inferior to light based vision. If I were writing the rules i'd say something like +2 ts compared to normal vision with additional TN penalties based on range (starting at around 5-10 meters) Additional +1-2 TN for detecting 'soft' or heavily angeled or rounded targets (+1 for most people not waring 'hard' armor, +2 for 'spongy' type stuff or sound dampening materials).

O/C ultarsounds sights will have the same problems with receptor size. On the plus side, if your whole team was using ultra sound, the receptors could probably be tied together b y computers and you'd get a much bigger 'synthetic' receptor (at least if your team was close together).
Zazen
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Zazen @ Jul 14 2004, 09:26 PM)
Sound dampening certainly isn't a "sense" either nyahnyah.gif

But it's the enhancement of a sense. Emitting sound isn't a sense.

JaronK jumped on my response to this, which is a shame because I wrote that first post to illicit an opportunity to say it.

Ultrasonic pulses certainly enhance a sense meant to detect their echoes, and things that enhance a sense without being senses themselves are allowed. There has to be some other reason that it's invalid, since you can't just say "it's not a sense" anymore. You have to say why one way of enhancing a sense is more valid than another way. That's a blurry distinction, leaving plenty to GM opinion and whim.
Cain
First, humans are not whales.

No, but the sense does naturally occur, making it fair game as an adept power.
Second, some questions about the sonar operators.

1) Do they make the maps update in real time such that a person could walk around and respond to a changing environment?

I should hope so! When submerged and traveling at speed, that's the only way they can tell where they're going. Dolphins and whales can navigate an underwater obstacle course, regardless of lighting conditions; submarines don't even *have* any visual sensors other than the periscope!

AFAIK, nowadays computers do help in the positioning and plotting of objects. However, the old fashioned sonar stations were run by guys with good ears and a slide rule. To a large extent, that's still true today.

2) Is it fair to compare underwater sonar with air sonar?

Sorta. As others have pointed out, sound travels much better in water than air. I'd say that the effective range would be reduced, but it would work.

3) Are the maps of sufficient quality that they equate to vision with dim lighting?

Underwater? Most definitely. In the open air? Well, bats manage the trick, so the answer would have to be a qualified yes.
Active sonar is much, much more accurate, isn't it? And whales do make calls while echo locating, don't they?

Define "more accurate". I'm not trying to be obnoxious here, but IIRC it's not that simple. Active sonar does help clarify objects, but you don't have to be the one pinging to get the benefits of that. If you can find any other functional noise source, you can use that for echolocation as well.

Passive sonar is basically just a set of very sensitive microphones, that trained sonarmen turn into 3-D maps. The frequency of the sound is irrelevant; in fact, sonar frequencies occur within the normal human range. Bats use high-frequency hearing and high-frequency screeches as their fixed sound source, but in theory you can do it with normal frequencies without a fixed sound source.

nezumi
But passive sonar is no longer ultrasound vision/echolocation. It's just directional hearing. So that's sort of a moot point.

The frequency actually is quite relevant. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to sound like an idiot and say I don't remember why, but there's a reason we don't use low frequency noise.
tjn
Higher frequency is faster IIRC. Therefore it might be too slow to create a real time visual interreptation. Basically in the time it takes for the noise to bounce off the object and make it's way to the reciever, the object might have moved and changed it's position.

Those that desire Ultrasound Vison for Adepts might make a better case by representing it as an expansion of the visual field of light then turning the adept into a bat or dolphin. Personally, I find it a bit... inhuman, to make an echolocation power.

Fits more evenly with some of the more traditional themes of magic (exploring the edges of mankind's perception)... and stops turning Adepts into Ace Ventura.

But then, true expansion of this power would lead to synesthesia... or an acid trip.
Necrotic Monkey
So High Frequency Hearing to hear sounds alien to humans is all right for an adept, but using High Frequency Hearing to create a visual image of one's immediate surroundings is crazy-talk and wholly unnatural? Okay.

To answer Ken Takai's original question, yes, ultrasonic vision is an acceptable sense for the Improved Sense adept power. It doesn't require a radio or other technological device (proven by the fact that it can be found in nature) and it's a cybernetic sensory enhancement. It meets all the requirements for the power and it's hardly game breaking on top of that.

On the other hand, Recorders, Cameras, Eye Lasers, and Eye Guns are examples of cybernetic sensory mods that do not qualify.
BitBasher
Original poster: Don't listen to anyone that says yes or no. They are wrong, the only person that is right is your GM, it's up to him.
Ancient History
I have allowed Ultrasound Vision as an adept power in the past (although not with a reduced cost for also having High Frequency hearing). Cited exampled: Idoru, by William Gibson

Whether or not you get an essence reduction if you, as an adept, have the Improved Sense (High Frequency Hearing) power and then have Ultrasound vision installed is tricky. I allow it because it is implied the essence reduction is due to not having to install anything to augment the user's hearing when putting in Ultrasound Vision.
Necrotic Monkey
That's a moot point with the power. Improved Sense includes all the "levels" of a sense when purchased, and it has no bearing on any other senses you have regardless of any footnotes associated with its cybernetic equivalence. Whether you have High Frequency Hearing or not, Ultrasound Vision still costs 0.25 Power Points and it doesn't include High Frequency Hearing. They're wholly independent senses as far as the power is concerned.
Ancient History
Okay, go back and /read/ my post. Essence cost reduction, if power, I said yes.
Necrotic Monkey
Read mine as well. Particularly the very first sentence. It's a moot point and I went on to explain why. There's nothing tricky about it despite your allowance to the contrary or not.
Jason Farlander
Its not a moot point at all to determine whether buying high frequency hearing alters the essence cost of the ultrasound vision cybereye accessory.

While you may or may not have understood that this was one of the things AH was talking about, you failed to articulate clearly in your post which of the *two* points AH made was the one you considered moot.
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
So High Frequency Hearing to hear sounds alien to humans is all right for an adept, but using High Frequency Hearing to create a visual image of one's immediate surroundings is crazy-talk and wholly unnatural?  Okay.

Way to utilize the hyperbole. Smashing success.

Here's a clue. High Frequency hearing can not create anything visual. Two different senses.

To answer Ken Takai's original question, yes, ultrasonic vision is an acceptable sense for the Improved Sense adept power.

I do believe Bitbasher has the right of this. See his response.

It doesn't require a radio or other technological device (proven by the fact that it can be found in nature) and it's a cybernetic sensory enhancement.

Take a look at the Ultrasound Vison "sense." It's actually three different things rolled into one.

Sensor: This would be the HF hearing.
Emitter: Vocal manipulation to send out the requisite pulse.
Processor: The thing that turns the sound into a visual output.

Only one of those things is an actual "sense." And it's already included as the High Frequency Hearing sense. The rest are not senses.

it's hardly game breaking on top of that.

Game breaking? No. Pushing the balances issues out of whack? Hell yes. Adepts have enough of their own unique advantages as it is. They do not need to plunder the few advantages of cyberware.

It comes down to the fact I will not have fragging Ace Ventura at my table if I'm trying to play a serious game.

It does not fit within the tone, nor theme, to have a runner making silly clicking sounds to get around.
Necrotic Monkey
QUOTE (tjn)
It comes down to the fact I will not have fragging Ace Ventura at my table if I'm trying to play a serious game.

It does not fit within the tone, nor theme, to have a runner making silly clicking sounds to get around.

Talk about hyperbole.

In any case, that's your perogative. It has no bearing on the power or the fact that it qualifies for it, regardless of the technological requirements for all of the cybernetic senses the power can replicate. Nor does the power require any silly clicking sounds from the adept anymore than Low Light Vision requires them shining a flashlight.

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
While you may or may not have understood that this was one of the things AH was talking about, you failed to articulate clearly in your post which of the *two* points AH made was the one you considered moot.

No I didn't, because they were both moot. That's the point of the word "moot." Besides, after reading his post twice more, the only thing he's saying is 1) it could go either way and 2) he allows it.
BitBasher
Sensor: This would be the HF hearing.
Emitter: Vocal manipulation to send out the requisite pulse.
Processor: The thing that turns the sound into a visual output.

I have to totally agree with this. Ultrasound hearing does not give the ability to echolocate nor does it grant spatial recognition. It just lets you hear ultrasonics, not to emit them. That's a very good preakdown IMHO of the requirements.
Necrotic Monkey
Fortunately the power isn't Ultrasound Hearing. It's Ultrasound Vision.
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
That's your perogative. It has no bearing on the power or the fact that it qualifies for it, regardless of the technological requirements for all of the cybernetic senses the power can replicate.

Except those that involve radio or simular technological phenomena.

Such as the emitter required for Ultrasound Vision.

Necrotic Monkey
I had no idea bats and whales have radios installed. Awesome.

What's next? You're going to dismiss Thermographic Vision, too, because the cybernetic version obviously includes a processor? How about Select Sound Filters? Balance Augmentation? Spatial Recognition?
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
I had no idea bats and whales have radios installed. Awesome.

I had no idea bats and whales were a race of humans.
Necrotic Monkey
Neither are rattlesnakes, but you don't seem to have a problem with Thermographic Vision or Thermosense.
BitBasher
Ultrasound vision is a misnomer, that's not what the cyberware does. The cyberware is not actual vision. It's a computer chip that decodes mapped ultrasound (audio) waves. Despite that's what the cyber is marketed at, that's actually not what it does. That part of it is entirely non biological.

Even echolocation is not vision, bats do not actually see that way, they know where solid objects are based on sound, just like knowing how far away some is because they are talking and you hear them.

The name of the cyber is very deceptive compared to what it does. Real echolocation as an adept power would work more like the heat sense bioware, know somehting is there and it's general location and distance. Very, very generic and horrible at anything other than short ranges.

Neither are rattlesnakes, but you don't seem to have a problem with Thermographic Vision or Thermosense.
I don't support thermosense, but metahumans in SR can have natural thermo, theres a precedent for it.
JaronK
I had no idea humans had thermo vision. So?

JaronK
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)

Well, enless yer going to support the Humanis, last I checked Trolls and Dwarves were humans too. They have Thermographic Vision.

And we all have Thermosense. It's the reason why we bitch when it's 100 degrees outside. Improvement and refinement can lead to a viable sense. However, balance issues might make me say no as it's a cultural bioware and if it's not allowed for character creation, it shouldn't be allowed across the board.

And a note on editing your posts. Dammit man, click the "Included edited on" box or make a note in the actual field when you do it.
Necrotic Monkey
So, because trolls and dwarves are magical, it's okay for a non-human sense to be a human sense through magic. But it's not okay for a natural sense found in nature prior to the Awakening to be included with magic. Despite, yanno, it being found in nature.

And to edit without clicking the box again just to torque you off, trolls and dwarves aren't humans. They're metahumans. Likewise, not a single metahuman has Flare Compensation, Sound Dampening, or Low-Frequency Hearing. Yet those are all established powers.
BitBasher
So, because trolls and dwarves are magical, it's okay for a non-human sense to be a human sense through magic. But it's not okay for a natural sense found in nature prior to the Awakening to be included with magic. Despite, yanno, it being found in nature.
So rephrased:

"It's okay for one metahuman race through an adept ability to have a sense that another metahuman gained naturally through the awakening but it's not okay for a metahuman race to gain through magic a sense that no other metahuman race posesses yet exists in other wholly unrelated mammals, reptiles, or fish?"

Yes. That sounds good to me.

"It's in nature" is not a blanket okay for me to approve an adept improved sense. That could lead to some pretty goofy stuff IMHO. Besides, Ultrasound Vision doesn't exist in nature, echolocation does but that's not nearly as cool or useful.

And to edit without clicking the box again just to torque you off, trolls and dwarves aren't humans. They're metahumans.

They're all homo sapiens man. They are all human subraces. All part of homo sapiens.
Kagetenshi
He's a fragging Humanis. Don't waste your breath.

~J
Necrotic Monkey
So then you are saying that Flare Compensation, Sound Dampening, and Low-Frequency Hearing are all illegitimate powers because no metahumans have them. I'm totally digging your guys' logic.
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)

Because it specifies race not species in the Improved Sense write up. Being found in nature has nothing to do with Improved Sense at all. So that point is, as you so like to say, is moot.

And to edit without clicking the box again just to torque you off, trolls and dwarves aren't humans.  They're metahumans.

It's been shown in the SR world that scientifically Trolls and Dwarves are subraces of Homo sapiens. This opens up Thermographic as an Improved Sense for the other races. Metahumans as a term, is a colloquialism.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey @ Jul 16 2004, 10:17 PM)
So then you are saying that Flare Compensation, Sound Dampening, and Low-Frequency Hearing are all illegitimate powers because no metahumans have them.  I'm totally digging your guys' logic.

Actually human hearing is variable. Some humans can hear dog whistles and some humans can hear subsonics, it's just rare. That's not a new human sense. It's nothing more than a refinement of an existing one.

The eye's ability to adjust itself to take in less or more light is also innate to all humans and some can adjust faster than others. Some people when walking out of a dark movie theatre can adjust to sunlight faster, flare compensation is again, just a modification to an existing system.

Sound dampening however I'm out to lunch on, no decision there.

It would behoove you in the future to not make a sarcastic remark about "my logic" when as evidence for said remark you use three abilities none of which I have even mentioned AFAIK. This makes your remark speculation, and bad speculation at that. Instead, why not ask "Hey, well then how do you feel about these powers?" instead of telling me what my opinion is before you ask.
Necrotic Monkey
No, Human is a game term as much as Troll and Dwarf are. Metahumanity applies to all of them as a group, Humans included.
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
So then you are saying that Flare Compensation, Sound Dampening, and Low-Frequency Hearing are all illegitimate powers because no metahumans have them. I'm totally digging your guys' logic.

Click Bitbasher's link in his sig.

Read the Strawman Fallacy.

Try again.
Necrotic Monkey
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Jul 16 2004, 04:22 PM)
It would behoove you in toe future to not make a sarcastic remark about "my logic" when as evidence for said remark you use three abilites none of which I have even mentioned AFAIK. This makes your remark speculation, and bad speculation at that. Instead, why not ask "Hey, well then how do you feel about these powers?" instead of telling me what my opinion is before you ask.

You didn't have to mention them. They're all established senses of the Improved Sense adept power. If you're going to argue that because humans or metahumans don't have a listed sense (refined or not), then you have to deal with the fact that that logic is erroneous because 1) the power clearly includes senses that aren't and 2) it's magic despite the preference of many to argue that "its magic" is no excuse for magical effects.
BitBasher
My sig gets a lot of referencing considering that I dont think I have referred people to it yet in a post except to reply to people who try to use it wrong. biggrin.gif

And that's okay NM I defended against it anyway. biggrin.gif
Necrotic Monkey
Uhoh, someone else edited a post to add a line of text without clicking the "Add the 'Edit by' line in this post" button. Better bark at him, too, tjn.
BitBasher
Way to make a sarcastic remark without actually adding a single positive thing to the thread! <golf clap>

And to say something useful:
In my game personally I allow any senses that are not wholly outside the realm of metahumanity. I'll allow vision mag, as that's just an increaased clarity of standard vision, ect... most sensory improvements follow those lines anyway.

I personally wouldn't allow Tremor ground detection ala a trapdoor spider or ultrasound or echolocation... If a Player did come up with somehting I hadn't though of I'd talk to them about it and if it sounded reasonable I'd allow it.
tjn
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
You didn't have to mention them.

And neither did you. It's already established that the following are acceptable Improved Senses.
  • Low Light
  • Thermographic Vision
  • High Frequency Hearing
  • Low Frequency Hearing
  • Direction Sense
  • Improved Scent
  • Improved Taste
  • Flare Compensation
  • Sound Dampening

Low Light and Thermographic Vison are found in other races of humanity. High and Low Frequency Hearing are an expansion upon the audible spectrum of sound. Direction Sense is a refinement of our sense of balance. Improved Scent and Taste are obvious. Flare Compensation and Sound Dampening just provide quicker, more reactive adjustments to the extremes of sound and light, the pupil in the eye contract and I'm not quite sure how the ear does it, but after going to many a rock concert, I have experienced the ears desperately trying to save itself. I call it the "WHAT'D YOU SAY?" effect.

All are natural outgrowths of what a human, in shadowrun, can percieve.

They're all established senses of the Improved Sense adept power.  If you're going to argue that because humans or metahumans don't have a listed sense (refined or not), then you have to deal with the fact that that logic is erroneous

You have yet to prove that in any shape or form.

because 1) the power clearly includes senses that aren't

Uhm. I'll take No for a thousand, Alex. The power does no such thing. Read the entry again.

2) it's magic despite the preference of many to argue that "its magic" is no excuse for magical effects.

Not quite sure one what your trying to communicate here but magic is based upon observable "rules." One of said rules is that Adepts with Improved Senses can not replicate technological senses. Such as the emitter required for Ultrasound Vision.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (tjn)
Uhm. I'll take No for a thousand, Alex.

This monosyllabic negation is shorter than its commonly-accepted opposite.

~J
Zazen
QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
To answer Ken Takai's original question, yes, ultrasonic vision is an acceptable sense for the Improved Sense adept power. It doesn't require a radio or other technological device (proven by the fact that it can be found in nature) and it's a cybernetic sensory enhancement. It meets all the requirements for the power and it's hardly game breaking on top of that.

On the other hand, Recorders, Cameras, Eye Lasers, and Eye Guns are examples of cybernetic sensory mods that do not qualify.

When you read the power as strictly as you do, those mods start sounding valid.

For example, eye guns are certainly technological but the power only limits "radios and other similar technological phenomena", and guns are certainly not similar to radios.

Obviously we can't just take the rules at face value.
JaronK
QUOTE (tjn)
[QUOTE=Necrotic Monkey,Jul 16 2004, 04:52 PM]
And we all have Thermosense. It's the reason why we bitch when it's 100 degrees outside. Improvement and refinement can lead to a viable sense.

And we all have ultrasound. It's the reason why we bitch when it's really loud outside. Improvement and refinement can lead to a viable sense.
Necrotic Monkey
For example, eye guns are certainly technological but the power only limits "radios and other similar technological phenomena", and guns are certainly not similar to radios.

I suppose one could argue that, but the senses as described rely on techonlogy and so are negated by the power and I believe the intent is clear even if the wording isn't. But one certainly could argue the rules are only talking about radios, I suppose. Not a very good argument, but a possible one.

Camera (SR3 p. 299): This eye enhancement allows a digital copy of any image viewed through the eye to be captured in a still photo. The image must be stored in headware memory, transfered through a datajack to any data system, or recorded in a small image-storage chip inside the eye.

Recorders and Opti-Cams have similar requirements. Eye Guns require ammunition which is a technological requirement, and Eye Lasers require batteries and are likewise a null choice. etc.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (JaronK)
And we all have ultrasound. It's the reason why we bitch when it's really loud outside.

You realize that, regardless of your point, the above statement is utterly, totally false?

~J
Person 404
If you're going to allow ultrasound vision on the basis that bats and whales can do it, try this experiment*:

1. Capture a bat.
2. Surgically remove its vocal cords.

This bat is now incapable of "ultrasound vision" as defined by the cyberware (i.e. without the presence of an external emitter). Have I removed any of its sensory organs? No. So, ultrasound vision, as a whole, is not a sense. It retains the ability to hear ultrasound (sense), but has lost its ability to emit ultrasound (not a sense).

* I don't actually condone this.

Edit: You're free to try with a whale as well, but people tend to get more touchy about them.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (JaronK)
And we all have ultrasound. It's the reason why we bitch when it's really loud outside. Improvement and refinement can lead to a viable sense.

Yes, we can hear, obviously. Therefore we can theoretically hear into the high-frequency range that bats use for echolocation; thus high-frequency hearing is a possibility. With two ears, we can even figure out to a certain extent where the sound is coming from; thus directional hearing is a possibility.

We do not, however, emit high-frequency sounds to use as active sonar or echolocation. In addition, this can in no way be mistaken for a sense, and is therefore inelligable for the adept's Improved Sense power.

We also do not process sound into a visual overlay. This, along with the ultrasound emitter, is the core of what ultrasound vision does, and why it is an *eye* modification, and not an *ear* modification. Nothing in nature has the ability to actually *see* sound, nor process it into a isual overlay. The closest anything ever gets is echolocation, which although useful is not as specific or powerful as actual vision.
Cain
404: Sorry, but wrong. Depending on the species, a bat may not need to use its vocal cords at all to use echolocation. What's more, the sense is precice enough to determine the texture of fur on an insect. Repeated clicking noises can do the job, and that doesn't require the use of the vocal cords.

If you really want to get into it, echolocation is used by lots and lots of species, and not just whales and bats. Some shrews and birds use it as well, as do porpoises. And ultrasound frequencies aren't required as well.

Doc Necrotic Toy is mostly right on this one-- there's no reason to ban echolocation as a sense. All that's required is that the person have some sort of noise source originating in or near the head. The originating sounds don't even have to be that loud. High-frequency hearing is a definite plus, as it allows for greater resolution; but it's not totally necessary. I wouldn't give someone a discount on it as an adept power, but I might give a bonus to an adept with both.

As far as ultrasonic and subsonic hearing goes-- yes, normal humans can indeed hear sounds made at that level. However, we can't *distinguish* them, which is why we think we're not hearing a thing. For example, subsonics have been known to cause psychological effects in people, even though they could not consciously hear the noises.
Kagetenshi
But such a noise source would not be a part of the adept power, and would have to be provided independently. If the adept decides not to go for an ultrasound generator, he or she risks the noise they're using being audible, which is fine when there's ambient noise to use, but less so when a facility is doing a tomb impersonation.

~J
JaronK
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (JaronK @ Jul 16 2004, 06:34 PM)
And we all have ultrasound.  It's the reason why we bitch when it's really loud outside.

You realize that, regardless of your point, the above statement is utterly, totally false?

~J

I was refering to the statement that we all have thermo vision. We don't. We have the very beginnings of it (the ability to sense heat), but not full thermo. Along similar lines, we don't have ultrasound, but we do have the ability to sense sound... in fact, we sense sound a lot better than we sense heat.

JaronK
Kagetenshi
He wasn't talking about thermovision. He was talking about thermosense, as in the thermosense organs from M&M.

~J
hyzmarca
This may not carry over to adepts very well, but Critters lists sonar as an enhanced sense.

Enhanced senses include low-light and thermographic vision, improved hearing and smell, heat sensing organs, sonar, motion detection (ability to sense eletrical field disturbances), and so on.

Furthurmore, Barghests have this ability. Barghests are basicly a type of awakened dog, and dogs do not normaly have sonar. The power is purely magical
Cain
But such a noise source would not be a part of the adept power, and would have to be provided independently.

Yes, but it doesn't have to be that loud, either. Normal footsteps might be enough for it. So could chewing gum. Heck, subs can take readings off of another sub's active sonar, so why not allow Adepts the same trick? They may be able to gauge distances based off the echoes from another noise source.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012