Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Fading into Nothing
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
FXcalibur
Here's the OOC topic for Fading into Nothing, where you guys talk shop, discuss tactics and post die rolls.

Current Roster
These are the people whose sheets I currently have.
  • Beast of Revolutions - Burn
  • Panzergeist - Slash
  • Kevyn - Kyle
  • Cheesy Answer - Kadel
  • Shadow - Downtown
  • Lase of the great mikeys - Terry
  • PBTTTT - Roland
  • Tinkergnome - Axe
  • Greatchicken - Theodore
I purposely left the introduction vague, since it should be modified to exactly what you guys do. Since we're just beginning here, I need two things done:

1) Introduce yourself and your character here, with a bit of background, basic capabilities, and so on.

2) Divide yourself into two fireteams (F-Team Alpha or F-Team Beta). If this division doesn't happen before the run starts, I divvy up the remainder. Also, select a leader for each fireteam to throw about plans and generally guide the group.

Right now, you guys need to get to the meet, the snazziest place downtown. I'll follow up when everyone has reached the Eye of the Needle. What I'm aiming for in this game is speed and a tense atmosphere. Planning before the run starts will be kept minimal or it becomes a planning session that never ends smile.gif
TinkerGnome
Axe is an elven Bacchus shaman. He's got quite a bit of summoning power, but some magical defense skill, as well. Aside from illusion and healing spells, he's not much of a mojo slinger.

I'll put him forth as a candidate for a team leader, but he has a lack of tactical planning ability and tends to dislike tight spaces. So he probably won't suggest plans which involve the air ducts, even if they're good ones.

He's going to go ahead and summon up a horde of city spirits to keep on call. The last one he'll have use its divination power to find him a way across town wink.gif

I'll make the rolls tonight, since I'm in training today and don't have my laptop with me.
Cheesy Answer
Kadel is an expert pistol slinger, and fairly well rounded in a couple of other combat skills. He can be practically invisible when he wants to be, and his infiltration skills are augmented by his quick wit and fast tongue, so he can act as a face type character as well if no one else is more suitable for the job.

He's had tactical training, but is not used to working with a team, so someone else would be a better leader. He's also not that old, relatively speaking, and a couple of people here may be more experienced than he is.

As for appearance, he's a human male in his mid-twenties with unkempt brown hair, curious brown eyes, and a slender, athletic build. The most noticeable quirk about him is his attire - he dresses like a gunslinger from twentieth century Western films, with the widebrim hat, faded brown longcoat, and criss-crossing ammunition belts, though it contains magazines instead of rounds.
PBTHHHHT
Roland is an athletic human male in his early thirties, brown hair, brown eyes. He has a friendly face and tries to make sure everyone is happy on his team.

He has background working as the combat medic in Lone Star response teams for several years before working part-time for Doc Wagon. Roland is a team player and his main specialty is patching up the group that gets hurt on the mission, but he is no slouch with weapons and does not have any qualms in eliminating the opposition.

Roland will not volunteer as team leader. His expertise is medical and fire support for the group, following right behind the entry team. He has elementary knowledge in electronics and demolitions so he can recognize what it is so he can alert the appropriate team member. He also has a little bit of knowledge in civil engineering to know about weak structural points/entry points.

edit: Roland is also skilled at moving along quietly as the team moves into position before the assault.
GreatChicken
Theodor (WITHOUT THE 'E'!) Gryznik is in his early 60s. He is fair skinned, slim, bespectacled (round glasses) and he has a wrinkled brow. His hairline is thinning and receeding, and he grows a curly moustache and a pointed goatee; all have already turned white.

He reminds people of those cliched doddering weird old scientists and researchers from ancient humorous cartoons and comic books; in fact, at times, he seems to ACT like them. Completing the illusion is his (purely pretend) improper English and an accent that stems from both his German and Russian heritages; the combination of both makes his accent sound absolutely fake. Despite all his quirks and his age, however, this old man is smarter and healthier than he looks.

Theodor's forte is in non-magical explosives, traps and security devices, both in their construction and (careful) disarming and destruction. For some reason, his techniques come across as uniquely ingenious or over-complicated (depending on how one looks), even if it still takes him the normal amount of time to set anything up and works just as well as anyone else's. His pacifist nature affects the lethality of his traps somewhat, but what they lack in killing power, they make up for in sheer efficiency.

Theodor will not volunteer as a leader, and nobody in his right mind would volunteer him; his quirks discourages them. He does have limited squad tactics training, which he retroactively uses to attempt to second guess enemy movement, so that his equipment can be used where they have the most effect.
Shadow
Downtown is a standard ex spec force, spec ops member. He is a expert in all firearms but he really shines with a rifle. Sniping is his specialty. He is classically trained in CQB and CT.

He is an ork with brown hair cut in a high & tight. He has a boxers face and build. He dresses in plain black BDU's normally, or Tan ones if it's more appropriate.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Terry is a tourist from the Sioux. He's on vacation, an ordinary citizen, SIN and all. Dunno how ya all will encounter him though.

He's a bigger than average human who scans as totally mundane and pure. As a Sioux national, you can assume he has some basic military training.
TinkerGnome
I'm traveling tomorrow. Hopefully, the hotel has descent internet access (one web add says they do, others say nothing about it) and it won't adversely impact my posting. If it will, there will be a post tomorrow night on one of the threads I frequent to put the word out.
kevyn668
Kyle is a career mercenary. He stands slightly taller than the average human with a well difined physique (not all of it is God given wink.gif)

As for abilities, he's well versed in covert ops/infiltration and can thow down with the (non-phys ad) best of them.

He is probably qualified for the squad leader gig but wouldn't be interested in it.

He's a soldier and a spy, not a general and politician. wink.gif

(NERPS for anyone that can tell me what that quote is from.)
Panzergeist
Slash is a human physad who fights with pistols, rifles, and swords. He is Burn's fraternal twin brother. He has distinctive white hair and is very muscular. He is also skilled physically and electronically, and can drives cars. He has a lot of adept powers, especcially sensory ones.

Slash will volunteer as leader of team alpha. Whichever team he is in, he has to be in the same team as Burn.
Fu-Man Chu
The Grim Reaper is on the large size for a troll - standing some 3 meters tall and dressed as if he just stepped out of the Barrens. Yet, the keen intelligence in his eyes and easy smile, although somewhat toothy, break the traditional stereotypes. It is common knowledge to those in the know - including the other A-list runners, is that the Chinese troll is quite a skilled mage; and the large Halberd he carries is more than just a fanciful throwback to the days as chivalry. Likewise the synth leather is actually quality ballistic armor. Although he can hold his own in a fight, Reaper especially shines when it comes to Astral overwatch - as such, he is usually alone. However, if needed, he can serve as a team leader who commands from that ethereal place.
Cheesy Answer
Possible team make-ups:

Team A - Kyle, Slash, Burn, Axe, Terry
Team B - Downtown, Kadel, Theodor, Reaper, Roland

Rationalizations: Each team has a cybered up mercenary/soldier (Downtown and Kyle), a physad (Kadel and Slash), an electronics man (Theodor and Slash), a spellslinger (Axe and Reaper), and a healer (Axe and Roland). I don't know how the rest of your characters handle themself in social situations, but I'm assuming Axe has a decent charisma due to his uber summoning, so I have him and Kadel on different teams.

I have no idea what Burn's capabilities are, but as he has to be on the same team as Slash, it doesn't really matter. As for Terry - you guys need another guy, tourist or otherwise, so...yeah. wink.gif

Thoughts?
PBTHHHHT
I'd suggest switching Terry with Roland.

a) I think Reaper as a mage can also handle the healing.

b) IC wise, Terry is a 'tourist' who was not intro'd into the team. I'd rather have the major mojo slinger (and troll) keep an eye on him. Yeah, I know he's a player character. But for now even until he meets up with us. he's not part of the team forming. In that case, I think Roland would be assigned with Team A for the extra gun and support since the Axe is not into slinging major mojo and from that I think the extra gun and healing might be needed.

So right now it's a team of 5 and 4, until Terry joins (sorry mikey, but unless I'm mistaken, Terry is not in the team formation bit yet).
Cheesy Answer
Tinkergnome specifically said that Axe specializes in healing and illusions, but Fu-Man Chu never made any mention of healing magic in his character description. So, can Reaper heal? smile.gif

Edit: Damnation, I forgot that Downtown is an adept too. Don't think it'll matter too much though.
GreatChicken
Vunderbar. Now we haff Long Names in 1 team and Short Names in ze other.
FXcalibur
I'll be adding a reply a few hours later when I get back from school, just to keep up a pace of sorts. Anybody who hasn't posted yet will be considered to have made it to the meeting on time (or just slightly late) if they so wish.

All around good posting so far. This is gonna be a fun game.

As for Mr. Sioux Asskicker, if you have any ideas for an insertion, lemme know and I'll set things up smile.gif
Shadow
He could be in the building ala John McClane.

DT is an adept, but he is, for all intent and purposes, a well trained merc.
Beast of Revolutions
Yes, that sounds good. I could lead a team, but I think Panzer would be better at it. Anyay, as long as we are together.

Burn is a dwarf shaman who can handle a sword, a spell, or a spirit with great finesse. He can also fricking possess people, which rocks.
GreatChicken
In case anyone wants to ask, yes, I have Flare Comp. indifferent.gif
FXcalibur
Damn school was friggin long today.

And a long post smile.gif

It's now time for questions and negotiations, particularly how much is given upfront in advance. Spike and Nicole are also around to interact with if you so desire.

I have not received Fu Man's final sheet yet, though. I'll be waiting. smile.gif

EDIT: There were a few typos in my IC post, hopefully now fixed. The general is a MAN. Thank you.
TinkerGnome
Looks good to me. I haven't read the IC yet, so I'm a bit behind wink.gif

Oh, and those rolls I promised but forgot:

[ Spoiler ]

So that's 8 force 4 great form city spirits until sundown/sunup. Geeze, that's a lot of rolling. He uses a service from the last one in the string for divination.
Beast of Revolutions
Burn is a dwarf shaman skilled in close combat and demolitions. What about Terry? Also, who is leading the fireteams?
Cheesy Answer
Me thinks the respective teams should vote for their own leader after this meeting is over.

Edit: On second thought, doing it here might not be such a bad idea, considering that most of our characters don't know each other.
kevyn668
So we do it OOC.

There are really only two questions: 1)Who wants it? And 2)Who can do it?

Hopefully, someone will be able to say yes to both.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Any problems with me making IC posts of defending myself/freeing hostages? I'll leave the Night One kid out of it...just whatever floor I'm on I round up any people and if opportunity presents, take pot shots.
Panzergeist
Slash is in the running for alpha team leader. e should probably also pick one of the two leaders to be overall team leader.
Fu-Man Chu
Yup, Reaper can handle healing - but that is far from being his forte. Reaper can also lead the fireteam if needed - but anyon else is welcome to do so instead
Cheesy Answer
QUOTE (Fu-Man Chu)
Yup, Reaper can handle healing - but that is far from being his forte.

Well, in that case we'll just have to make sure not to get shot up then. smile.gif
Fu-Man Chu
No arguement from me!
FXcalibur
I read the responses in school but I usually lack the time to write a reply during school hours. Sorry smile.gif

Fu Man's sheet has been received. All good there.

Sure are a lot of questions for the Johnson. I apologize in advance if I missed anybody's question or comment.
FXcalibur
Something I've decided on recently. I appreciate the etiquette-buying gear mechanic SR3 provides, but if you want to get anything before the run, Spike and the Lancers (who after some thought, have been modeled to be highly connected people after all) can provide whatever you need. Just pay street index as normal.

You can perform the etiquette and negotiation rolling if you want to attempt to get the gear at a cheaper price, if you so wish.
PBTHHHHT
Hope everyone don't mind flashbangs.... I have lots of those.... biggrin.gif

Oh, the general never did answer the question. Who's Ward is it anyway? Hmph, that reminds me of that tv show.... spin.gif
Panzergeist
It has to have been made by the building's rightful owners. These terrorists would need several hundred mages to have warded that whole place so quickly.

Terrorist groups knowledge roll: 1 2 4
FXcalibur
I have no idea how to handle floorplans, being a skyscraper with who knows how many floors and all nyahnyah.gif I think I'll sketch out the maps of whatever floor you guys are on.

Panzer, what exactly are you trying to roll for? Any specific question?
Shadow
FX.

More than likely 90% of the building will use the exact same floor plan, especially if it's an office building.
FXcalibur
There's entertainment, offices and shopping. There's a film theatre, shopping arcade and performance theatre, among other things.
FXcalibur
It's the weekend, so I do expect posting to slow down a leetle. We start the run proper on monday, guys.

The Johnson has made his advance offer at 20% of 2 million. If any of you want to try and raise it, go ahead and roll negotiation (bargain). smile.gif

I think Panzer wants to know if they have magical support, right? Well, from that roll result, you know rumours of Black December and their fondness of using and brainwashing awakened into their ranks with racist an religious bulldrek. Last you heard, their numbers were too small for something like this.
Shadow
Danny's going to head home and get all his gear stowed in duffles. Then he will take a cab to the Fort.

He will be bringing everything he has, and then sorting out his combat load out before going in. All his weapons breakdown and fit in nice little luggage like suitcases. Everthing else he tosses into a couple of OD green duffles.
Cheesy Answer
I take it we still have not decided on a leader yet? Only guys running for the position seem to be Slash and Reaper. Looks fine and dandy, though I'm still wondering how a mage specializing in the astral will communicate with the rest of the team while he's out. Manifesting, scouting, and astral combat don't mix well. wink.gif
Fu-Man Chu
Yeah, I agree - its possible only cuz he can get to the team's location relatively easily and manifets to communicate - but he's better as a solo scout type guy.

From reading the descriptions, Roland looks like he'd probably the best to take the Fireteam B leader position - not necessarily the first one in, but balanced enough that he could effectively lead. He won't volunteer, but we can nominate - So what say you? cool.gif
Cheesy Answer
Roland is in Fireteam A, dude. smile.gif
Fu-Man Chu
Hmmm, I missed that last message where it suggested switching Terry with Roland . . . but Terry is also not with the group. So current Fireteams are:

Team A
Kyle - solider
Slash - muscle
Burn - demo mage
Axe - mage
Roland - combat medic

Team B
Downtown - ex-mil sniper
Kadel - pistol boy
Theodor - geriatric scientist with explosive tendencies
Reaper - mage

Team C
Terry (wish you the best chummer!)

Hmmm, for team B Kadel looks like he'd work best then even though he's not particularly leader type.

Another option is to choose leaders first and then work out teams. I'm thinking in addition to Slash, Roland and Kyle would make good fireteam leaders (so more sergeant then politician) smile.gif
Fu-Man Chu
One other thing: Hey FX, it'd be nice if there was one more PC to help fill out the Fireteams - I have a friend who might be willing to join in if you'd allow a late entry. . .
Cheesy Answer
As far as I know, Terry is going to join Fireteam B as soon as we meet up with him inside the Ritz.

Teams are fine, I think. Mixing things up again will just end up being too confusing, especially if neither Roland nor Kyle wants the position, which would mean we'll have to shake it up again. Who actually leads isn't that important anyway - everyone here is more than competent enough to do it.

Kadel will step up as team leader, albeit reluctantly, if no one else is available. Personally though, I nominate Downtown, as a sniper isn't really going to be perched in a building half a mile away for this particular run. Shadow?
PBTHHHHT
Hmmm.... are we going to have the teams go on different ways or do we stay as much together? Like Team A be the ones that rush in to clear the room, then Team B leapfrogs our position and take the next room?

Fine, if y'all really want, I can try and either lead Team B or better yet, assist Kadel in leading. biggrin.gif Whoa, Burn is Demo mage?
I must have missed that, didn't know Team A was so mage heavy.

Hope everyone in Team B is stealthy because the way the composition looks I want to make it fair and utilize Theodor's skills, i.e searching for traps and/or using it.

Anyone have a scanner and decryption gear? Intercepting their communications would be grand. just a suggestion. (and no, I don't have the skill)
FXcalibur
Jumping the gun a bit, but one team is to follow Delta and BS4's aerial assault. The other team can choose to follow or try something else. Maps of the building should come on monday.

Also, sorry Fu, but since the game starts tomorrow it's a little late.
Cheesy Answer
Just to make sure, the aerial assault is going straight for the nuke, right?
FXcalibur
The nuke is in one of the towers on the roof, and... oh snap, I'll just go sketch up a diagram wink.gif Anyway, yep, BS4 plans to land on the roof and head straight for the nuke. Plans wink.gif
Cheesy Answer
Assuming that BS4 and Delta have someone who can secure the nuke, I think Fireteam A should go with them. Fireteam B should find some other way in, in case the roof assault gets shot to hell, since we have someone who can disarm the nuke if they fail.

Plus splitting the teams up would make combat go a whole lot faster. smile.gif
FXcalibur
Original plan was to split the game into two topics for ease of tracking and less confusion during posting. As they'll get around to telling you eventually, Delta has 1 demo expert on hand whilst BS4 has 2. Both are going to assault the roof, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012