Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shouldn't Sorcery Default to Intelligence?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Knowledge "with a capital K." They claim that you have to "know" how to work magic. Magic Background includes that knowledge. And it's actual knowledge to boot.

And it is already used as complimentary dice.
Stumps
Stick with the Willpower.
If people don't want to use it, that's fine.
Gilthanis
Notice that defaulting also restricts the amount of Spell Pool that can be used with normal spellcasting. So even if you have Willpower 6 and Centering 16 (or Centering 6 and you get phenomenally lucky), a skilled Sorcerer will still outperform you with Sorcery 6.

By the way....in game terms and the absurdity of having a skill of 16 in any skill let alone 2... Don't forget the Centering focus. This would only require a skill of 8 and a focus of 8.

This is kinda what I'm looking for in ways of possible pimpage... We're not quite there yet which is good...but keep coming up with ideas. Thanks guys.
Fortune
Tell you what, those opposed to the ideas of defaulting to Willpower because it represents a lack of "knowledge" for how to cast a spell (despite the spell formula giving you all the instructions you need -- we'll continue to ignore that since it's a blatant bit of a proof contrary to your point of view), how about defaulting to Magic Background?

If Willpower and Magic attributes give you the ability to use Magic, and Spell Design lets you learn spells, what, in your opinion does the actual Sorcery skill do (besides eliminate the defaulting penalty) in the act of spellcasting?
Stumps
imo, exactly that.
Before, Sorcery was what made you able to cast.
Now, it makes you cast MUCH better than without it.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Stumps)
Stick with the Willpower.
If people don't want to use it, that's fine.

It was a rhetorical and sarcastic question to begin with.

QUOTE (Gilthanis)
By the way....in game terms and the absurdity of having a skill of 16 in any skill let alone 2... Don't forget the Centering focus. This would only require a skill of 8 and a focus of 8.

...a huge investment just to get around a +4 target modifier. Whereas if you had taken Sorcery to begin with, you'd have all that cash, Karma, and metamagic to use more effeciently.
Fortune
You would only need Centering that high to totally eliminate the defaulting penalty. It could still be useful at a lower level to eliminate some of that penalty.
Stumps
I think the point is that you really can't pull off being a low level centering character because of the cost of expenditures it takes to do it.
Gilthanis
Not a waste because you can use it for so much more. Kind of like the usefulness of a power focus. Many people overlook how many different uses there are for a focus. But I was just pointing it out to show how to do it without a GM saying "noboddy has a skill of 16".
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Fortune)
If Willpower and Magic attributes give you the ability to use Magic, and Spell Design lets you learn spells, what, in your opinion does the actual Sorcery skill do (besides eliminate the defaulting penalty) in the act of spellcasting?

Missed the majority of the thread, eh?

You might as well ask: If a cyberdeck and a power source gives you the ability to access the Matrix, and you can buy utilities to use with your deck, what does the actual Computers skill do?

It represents your skill and training in Sorcery. You've learned all the tricks of the trade for how to more effectively manipulate mana. Practice, training, and experience all wrapped in one. You learn all sorts of techniques about how to hone your will and your emotion as efficiently as possible. You develop these techniques until they become instinctual, just like any other practiced skill.
Stumps
Not a waste because you can use it for so much more. Kind of like the usefulness of a power focus. Many people overlook how many different uses there are for a focus. But I was just pointing it out to show how to do it without a GM saying "noboddy has a skill of 16".

I got the impression that Doc was saying that by the time they get to that level it's an attitude of "who cares"
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Gilthanis @ Oct 28 2004, 10:10 AM)

Uhm, except that the entire point of the "cheat" around not taking Sorcery is that it eliminates the fact that you don't have Sorcery. Even a +1 TN modifier is a huge disadvantage, and if you're trying to use Centering in most situations (where your TNs are closer to 6 -- and remember, the TN for Centering is the same as the test you're making in the first place), you'll be lucky to get one success let alone the two you need to have any appreciable effect.

On top of that, that HUGE investment you make in all that crap is the same HUGE investment the more traditionally trained Sorcerer gets to make to improving his abilities. Should he take Centering to the same level, he can actually use it as a powerful advantage, not a means of eliminating a disadvantage.

Not to mention that no matter how well you lower the TN, you still have 0 Spell Pool to use.
Stumps
hmm...so we end up with another form of a mage...interesting
Gilthanis
But I'm pointing out the fact that we are also behind describing the exact way magic works and moving on to how this "possibly" could be pimped or if there is an offset out there. I agree a character with Centering that high really just needs to pick up the skill. But sometimes an old character decides to change his focus due to an invisible ceiling, boredom, or shits and giggles and needs to compensate for bit while building new skill.

Any other ideas?
Stumps
I see it as solid as it's written.
Simple.

Default to Will
No Spell Pool.
Fortune
Missed the majority of the thread, eh?

ohplease.gif
Ol' Scratch
Don't roll your eyes at me. The topic had been brought up multiple times.
Stumps
I don't blame you...that's why I put in a "jump to page 4 for the results of this arguing" edit back on page 2.
Fortune
Don't roll your eyes at me. The topic had been brought up multiple times.

I read the thread, as you well know since you have also. I was merely asking your opinion on something ... an opinion that is normally well-formulated. There is no need for your snide comments.
Gilthanis
Is it just me or did this thread become one of the longest in a while excluding an obvious hitter like the SOTA64 thread?

Anyways, if it is allowed, I agree no spell pool or dice from foci. That requires use of the actual skill. I agree +4 target numbers per defaulting. So, is there any other skills YOU would or would not allow to be used in conjunction? Centering has been mentioned. My GM already said no but I think it was before any thought on it was really made on how good Centering would have to be. Say...can spirits aid? Would this have any effect on Ritual sorcery? Any effect on Dispelling, redirection, absorption.... anything?
Ol' Scratch
Sorcery and Conjuring are about the only ones I'd allow. Centering is definitely a no-no since it is a learned technique rather than an instinctual ability, but I would consider it for Divination and Aura Reading (for those abilities that directly use the skill, like Psychometry). But I doubt it.

Spirits could assist, sure, and they would be a very valuable asset. The TN would still be there, however. Ritual Sorcery might work, but no group would want them to join in since his modifier would (or should) be applied to all of their tests seeing as how he's the weak link in the chain.
Stumps
Yeah, I noticed that this thread is quite beefy myself.
But then again...that just means something good is in here. wink.gif

I could go start a pocket secretary thread...
Critias
QUOTE (Stumps)
Yeah, I noticed that this thread is quite beefy myself.
But then again...that just means something good is in here. wink.gif

Nah. Just something people are willing to disagree over, and say so (often). That's not quite the same as "good."
toturi
Default to Will, check.

Magic Background Knowledge Skill, check.

Magic Attribute more than 1, check.

Adepts can cast spells... Yes?
Ol' Scratch
<just rolls his eyes>
Stumps
Magic Background Knowledge Skill, check.

no. That was Doc being a smart-a$$

hmm...gonna have to see what everyone else thinks on that...and I'd have to look into it further to check, but by what we've said so far...yes, but coomon sense says no.
toturi
Cool, then what is the big deal on those pesky adept mages?
Gilthanis
Well since toturi is trying to make the blatant point of unless ANYONE with a willpower can cast spells, lets focus on why toturi keeps spitting it out.

First, everyone else seems to agree that the Magic attribute must be available to even do the slightest magical task. toturi is the only one excluding that point.

Second, by ignoring this point toturi continues by trying to devalue the argument by saying if a full mage can do it than the fact that they are willing it has nothing to do with what they ARE CAPABLE of doing it magically but are just relying on Willpower to control all magic.

Third, going further toturi then says since it is only Willpower then everyone who has been restricted in the past should have no problems accessing the magic.

My response to you is this.
1. Most of us agree the Magic attribute is what lets you tap into the magic.
2. You can only manipulate with your willpower what you normally have access to doing with a skill your Magic class allows. (Can't really rig without a VCR yet you can still drive. Your class would not be a rigger but a driver. This has a big difference in advantages and capabilities.)
3. The magical background is the knowledge of how magic works so implying that the knowledge has to be there (implying a sorcery skill) is partially true. That is why magical background (more appropriate for understanding the working of magic per everyones description on knowledge requirement) is a complimentary skill re-enforcing the rest of the capabilities of Sorcery. Sorcery itself should IMOO not be used for knowledge roles unless the knowledge skill is absent. Then per rules you can use half the active skill.
toturi
1) I agree with Magic Attribute being essential to spellcasting. That is why I withdraw my previous statement about mundanes.

2) I have no concept of "classes" in Shadowrun. Pray tell, where is this mysterious Magic class you mentioned, Gilthanis?

3) Since mundanes too can have the Magic Background, I do not really quite get your point.
Gilthanis
My points are based off your previouse arguments you've thrown in like allowing mundanes to manipulate magic with willpower. Now that you've aknowledged the need for Magic atrribute above 0, then the problem solved there.

Then you mentioned adepts casting magic which to me was implying a problem with "class". (for lack of better short description depicting differences) Again, there is no real problem there because a physical mage can still do the same as a sorcerer, conjuerer, or full mage when it comes to defaulting. The physical adepts are already in a way willing the magic and don't rely much on "Spellcasting/Sorcery/Conjuring". I don't have SOTA64 so can't vouch for it, but most physad abilities don't require such a skill. Again implying a willful control.

As far as mundanes using magical knowledge, they are still limited to just textbook style knowledge and not necessarilly having field knowledge. Big difference but are categorized under one skill. A good GM would seperate these.
Stumps

I went to the books cause I really didn't know what we made would have an effect on them...I'll admit, I forgot about them really.

SR3, Adepts p. 168: "Followers of the somatic way, adepts do not use magical skills to perform magic in the same way as magicians (though they can use Sorcery in astral combat: see p. 174)"

SR3, Astral Combat p. 174: "An astral form can engage in astral combat. Physical characters--even Awakened characters not using astral perception or projection--are immune to direct attacks from astral space."

So...yes, they can cast spells using a Default of Willpower from Sorcery....but only in Astral Combat.
mfb
how in the world did you come to that conclusion? the Sorcery skill can't default, even for use in astral combat.
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Stumps @ Oct 28 2004, 09:11 PM)

I went to the books cause I really didn't know what we made would have an effect on them...I'll admit, I forgot about them really.

SR3, Adepts p. 168: "Followers of the somatic way, adepts do not use magical skills to perform magic in the same way as magicians (though they can use Sorcery in astral combat: see p. 174)"

SR3, Astral Combat p. 174: "An astral form can engage in astral combat. Physical characters--even Awakened characters not using astral perception or projection--are immune to direct attacks from astral space."

So...yes, they can cast spells using a Default of Willpower from Sorcery....but only in Astral Combat.

Stumps, let's make sure to clerify that in saying Adepts, they mean Sorcerers, physical mages, etc... not the stereotype Physical Adept.
Stumps
QUOTE (mfb)
how in the world did you come to that conclusion? the Sorcery skill can't default, even for use in astral combat.

Please for the love of god...READ THE DAMN THREAD BEFORE YOU MAKE REAL REAL DUMB POSTS LIKE THAT!!!!!!

(I'm sorry to be crude, but this thread has been rough...real rough.)
toturi
QUOTE (Gilthanis)
Stumps, let's make sure to clerify that in saying Adepts, they mean Sorcerers, physical mages, etc... not the stereotype Physical Adept.

Why not? They've a Magic Attribute, don't they?
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Gilthanis)

My response to you is this.
1. Most of us agree the Magic attribute is what lets you tap into the magic.
2. You can only manipulate with your willpower what you normally have access to doing with a skill your Magic class allows. (Can't really rig without a VCR yet you can still drive. Your class would not be a rigger but a driver. This has a big difference in advantages and capabilities.)
3. The magical background is the knowledge of how magic works so implying that the knowledge has to be there (implying a sorcery skill) is partially true. That is why magical background (more appropriate for understanding the working of magic per everyones description on knowledge requirement) is a complimentary skill re-enforcing the rest of the capabilities of Sorcery. Sorcery itself should IMOO not be used for knowledge roles unless the knowledge skill is absent. Then per rules you can use half the active skill.

I will reply by quoting myself. Pay attention to point number 2.
mfb
i've read the thread, and i meant what i said. this whole argument is just trying way to hard.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Gilthanis)

No they don't. Physical Adpets do not exist anymore as a relic of 2nd edition. Aspected Magicians now cover Sorcerors, Conjurors, and the Shamanic limited, ect. The term Adpet is solely used to describe those that can purchase adpet powers. Adepts can purchase Sorcery for the use in Astral Combat (which is the melee portion of that skill).
Stumps
QUOTE (Gilthanis)

actually...look on p168 of SR3.
"Followers of the somatic way, adepts do not use magical skills to perform magic in the same way as magicians (though they can use Sorcery in astral combat: see p. 174). The cannot astrally project, and cannot use astral perception unless it is purchased as a power. Instead, adepts focus their magic on the improvement of body and mind. The adept's way is one of intense training and self-discipline."

That not only sounds like a phys-ad and preceed the phys-ad powers section (which is right below it) but it also says that they can use Sorcery in Astral Combat.
Stumps
mfb, I have no intention, and I'm sure no one else does, of repeating an argument. If you've read the whole thread then you know our reasons for the rule and our stance on it.
If you don't like it and you've read the whole thread, you also know that you can simply not post here if it offends you to see such a rule.
Herald of Verjigorm
No third edition book uses "adept" to refer to an aspected mage. "Adept" has come to mean only physical adepts.
Gilthanis
QUOTE (mfb)
i've read the thread, and i meant what i said. this whole argument is just trying way to hard.

Then that means by your response...your obvious conclusion (though going the round about way) is to stay 100% Canon and no deferring. Ok, we understand and were already aware of that per rulebooks. You can move on. This thread is for those who use house rules to adjust for "better game play in there own eyes". We are really looking for ways defaulting would be over cheese or too useful. So far, none have been found.
Da9iel
Toturi:
Please don't confuse spending build points/priority to be able to use certain magics with gaining the sorcery skill. Yes, under these house rules, adepts can default to Will in astral combat just like Stumps said. No they cannot cast spells even when they have and use the full sorcery skill. You aren't arguing well. I know you have a fixed idea about the workings of magic, and that is fine, but you're not representing your points clearly.
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Oct 28 2004, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (Gilthanis @ Oct 28 2004, 09:25 PM)
Stumps, let's make sure to clerify that in saying Adepts, they mean Sorcerers,  physical mages, etc... not the stereotype Physical Adept.

No they don't. Physical Adpets do not exist anymore as a relic of 2nd edition. Aspected Magicians now cover Sorcerors, Conjurors, and the Shamanic limited, ect. The term Adpet is solely used to describe those that can purchase adpet powers. Adepts can purchase Sorcery for the use in Astral Combat (which is the melee portion of that skill).

Ahh...you are right there...I was wrong and I admit that. This would be a good debate on another thread.

Edit] Looks like I will be sending another e-mail to Fanpro for clerification. By the way, the new guy who replies to e-mails is exceptionally fast and gives good answers.
Kanada Ten
If you don't like it and you've read the whole thread, you also know that you can simply not post here if it offends you to see such a rule.

He is also free to say he thinks the idea is bunk, which he did.

This thread is for those who use house rules to adjust for "better game play in there own eyes".

You do not have any control over what, when, or who expresses their opinions on this board. Every attempt to force your will on others results in more posts without content.

By the way, the new guy who replies to e-mails is exceptionally fast and gives good answers.

Yeah, I agree.
Stumps
Actually....my present question that I never had arise before (because I hadn't made an adept in 3rd yet) is this...

SR3, Adpets, p. 168.
"Followers of the somatic way, adepts do not use magical skills to perform magic in the same way as magicians (though they can use Sorcery in astral combat: see p. 174). The cannot astrally project, and cannot use astral perception unless it is purchased as a power. Instead, adepts focus their magic on the improvement of body and mind. The adept's way is one of intense training and self-discipline."

I could be wrong on this...but....don't you need to be astrally projected to cast astral spells in astral combat???
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Stumps)
Actually....my present question that I never had arise before (because I hadn't made an adept in 3rd yet) is this...

SR3, Adpets, p. 168.

I could be wrong on this...but....don't you need to be astrally projected to cast astral spells in astral combat???

Are you implying that a Sorcerer can't manibolt a spirit on the astral plane?
Kanada Ten

Astral Combat does not mean casting spells. It is a melee attack. One normally needs Astral Perception to engage in it (which adepts can purchase as a power at 2PP).
Stumps
Kanada Ten...

It's just been a very long long thread where there are a small group of us who would like to persue this rule but continually have to swat away all these posts arguing against the concept of the house rule being used because it's not canon and we don't really care if it's canon but no one seems to care that we don't care that it's not canon....so excuse me if I get a little annoyed...I really try not to.
Da9iel
And yet mfb completely ignored the well acknowledged admission that this is a house rule. Of course you can't default sorcery in canon. That is not being argued. The question is whether or not it would unbalance a game or even be plausible. mfb's first statement was a complete non-sequitur. mfb's second statement gave no real insight into why he doesn't like this house rule or why he thinks it would cause problems. I personally don't see it as trying too hard by removing an exception to the general rules about defaulting and pools.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012