Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shouldn't Sorcery Default to Intelligence?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Ol' Scratch
Uhm, Stumps, you're not quite getting what I was saying. Say you're defaulting to an Attribute. All your TNs are +4. So to hit a TN of 3 you actually have to roll a 7. In essence, an actual roll of a 4, 3, 2, and 1 is identical to a roll of a 5 for you. That's why I put it at 5 originally but then dropped it to 3 to be kind.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (tjn @ Oct 27 2004, 05:18 PM)
Stumps, how do you make it possible to ride a bicycle without any wheels?

Your analogy is flawed as for spellcasting, the spell is your "bike" and the formula for casting it are the "wheels." The rider would be the spellcaster and the act of peddling would be the spellcasting.
tjn
And by that metaphor, the mage would take the time to learn the skill.

It is not "MAGIC!" and the notion of defaulting while casting a spell is not consistant with the very foundation of the tradition itself.
tjn
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Oct 27 2004, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (tjn @ Oct 27 2004, 05:18 PM)
Stumps, how do you make it possible to ride a bicycle without any wheels?

Your analogy is flawed as for spellcasting, the spell is your "bike" and the formula for casting it are the "wheels." The rider would be the spellcaster and the act of peddling would be the spellcasting.

Without the rider the bike goes nowhere.
Without the pedals the bike goes nowhere.
Without the wheels the bike goes nowhere.

EDIT: However, you are right, the analogy is flawed in that it doesn't accurately depict spellcasting, but the intent was to illustrate that without the integral elements the whole doesn't work (wheels and bikes, knowledge and magic, a keyboard and us "debating" over the internet nyahnyah.gif)
Ol' Scratch
And by that theory, no one can use any skill without learning the skill. So you should either use defaulting or you shouldn't. There's no reason despite your poor-attempts to "prove" otherwise that Sorcery and Conjuring are exceptions to the rules (other than that they are, illogically as they, exceptions to the rules). If you don't like the house rule, feel free not to use it.
tjn
No Doc. That's not what I said. And my "poor attempts to 'prove' otherwise" is rather a poor attempt to describe the basics of magical theory.

Knowledge is integral to the act of working magic, in some form. However knowledge is not universally required of all skills.
Ol' Scratch
If Knowledge was required, it would be Intelligence-linked. Sorcery is about willing an effect into being. Practically every description of it revolves around honing your will and focusing your emotion into the act. The only thing remotely intellectual about Sorcery comes from designing and, to a lesser extent, learning a spell... and that's still preserved.

I could then point to, oh, Computers, Electronics, and even Biotech as actual Intelligence-linked Knowledge-based skills that you can default with, too.
Da9iel
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
That should be true with anyone defaulting. If you want to include it as a universal house rule, just change it so that if all the dice are five! (when defaulting to an Attribute) or less, you critically fumbled... but only if you failed to achieve the goal. Or modify it to some other number. Honestly, I'd go with 3's or less across the board, but that's just me.

Actually, our group has a house rule that all penalties apply for the rule of one. We do tone down the consequences of the botch in most cases. Doesn't it make sense that trying to do something you don't have a skill for in the dark while seriously wounded and beaten almost senseless should usually fail spectacularly no matter how high the defaulting attribute?

edit: I forgot on difficult ground while running!
Da9iel
I guess that ties in with the too much karma pool thread. cool.gif
tjn
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
If Knowledge was required, it would be Intelligence-linked. Sorcery is about willing an effect into being. Practically every description of it revolves around honing your will and focusing your emotion into the act. The only thing remotely intellectual about Sorcery comes from designing and, to a lesser extent, learning a spell... and that's still preserved.

It's Knowledge, with a captial K, and it has nothing to do with how intelligent a person is. If a person was dumb as a stump, but still had the Knowledge to guide their Will to create their desire, that person would still be capable of utilizing magic (or so the theory goes).

And yes it is primarily the Will (with a capital W) that powers the act but without Knowledge there to channel the Will, the Will does nothing.

I could then point to, oh, Computers, Electronics, and even Biotech as actual Intelligence-linked Knowledge-based skills that you can default with, too.

Think of Knowledge as to the working of Magic as tools are to the utilization of B/R skills. One (EDIT)usually(/EDIT) can't fix a computer without having a screwdriver handy.

Happy Da9iel? grinbig.gif
Da9iel
That's not true! I personally defaulted to my key chain (at a +4 of course) once to fix my truck. cool.gif
tjn
You got jipped, nyahnyah.gif yer only 'sposed to have a +2 for inadequate tools.
Kanada Ten
There's no reason ... that Sorcery and Conjuring are exceptions to the rules ...

There are several ways in which Sorcery differers from every other skill. You allot dice from the skill to a function while still maintaining some dice for another. It is the only skill that has secondary karmatic expenditures (called spells) for full use. It can serve as a melee skill but only in certain situations. It is one of only two skills that cause Drain, and it requires a Magic Attribute above zero but does not use that as the linked Attribute.

And there is the other issue. Are you born with a Magic Attribute? I think not since it is easy to spot such with Aura Reading while finding capable youths is described as difficult.

So after Dragons of the 6th World implying that dragons don't learn formulas and possibly just tap straight into mana and cast what they want to couldn't EVER possibly happen to anyone else even if unintentionally for a brief moment.

I derived the exact opposite opinion from reading Dragons of the Sixth World. Only the Earthdawn PDF implied dragons did not learn a Sorcery skill and spells, while Dot6W stated that dragons know all the spells listed in the books and more (paraphrased). In fact, only Flamethrower is innate to them.
Gilthanis
Well tjn your argument seems lacking because you keep bouncing between basing ALL Magic as knowledge first Active second. Since the PC would be a mage, they have some knowledge of Magic as they dabble and get instruction. The spellcasting skill implies that they have had some guidence or practice in the art. But that doesn't mean they can't feel the magic running through their veigns. It does not mean that they can't see the Astral (yes still magic here) with their astral perception without someone first teach Aura Reading. It does not REQUIRE an astral projection skill to actually project. So requiring the skill to actually cast spells (and let us not forget Conjuring is included here guys) would be pretty ballsy considering your whole description of how magic and magic theory works is completely opinion only with a few generic descriptions from the book to support the thesis.

I on the other hand still see no reason why EVERY other skill in the game defaults back to an attribute if you don't have the appropriate skill accept Magic which IS linked to the Willpower attribute.

Now, to clear up everyone staging up botching for making it more difficult. The most important reason to default is if per se you had a skill of one. So botching should not change. The +4 is a pretty nasty bonus to the target number considering that most spells on average would be an 8 or higher (after +4 penalty) and you normally wouldn't have more than 6 dice (6 Willpower) to cast. That is pretty tough even for a lame and weak spell. Odds are you will just fizzle the spell and no harm done. Don't forget background count and other hindrances here. And don't forget that if you only get one success the oppossition will probably get more. So, defaulting wouldn't be over cheese.
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
There's no reason ... that Sorcery and Conjuring are exceptions to the rules ...

There are several ways in which Sorcery differers from every other skill. You allot dice from the skill to a function while still maintaining some dice for another. It is the only skill that has secondary karmatic expenditures (called spells) for full use. It can serve as a melee skill but only in certain situations. It is one of only two skills that cause Drain, and it requires a Magic Attribute above zero but does not use that as the linked Attribute.

And there is the other issue. Are you born with a Magic Attribute? I think not since it is easy to spot such with Aura Reading while finding capable youths is described as difficult.

So after Dragons of the 6th World implying that dragons don't learn formulas and possibly just tap straight into mana and cast what they want to couldn't EVER possibly happen to anyone else even if unintentionally for a brief moment.

I derived the exact opposite opinion from reading Dragons of the Sixth World. Only the Earthdawn PDF implied dragons did not learn a Sorcery skill and spells, while Dot6W stated that dragons know all the spells listed in the books and more (paraphrased). In fact, only Flamethrower is innate to them.

When I said implied it is because the side readings from Captain Chaos is usually thrown in for clues or role playing ideas. I figured everyone would take that as a given. Maybe I will be more clear next time. Otherwise NOTHING is truly known about how dragons deal magic and the book is VERY clear on that.
Ol' Scratch
No, that would be Magic Background which is a Knowledge (with a capital K) Skill, as opposed to Sorcery or Conjuring which are Active Willpower-based Skills. They have very little to do with knowledge; they deal with your training in using those abilities.

Casting a spell is very similar to using a utility in the Matrix on the surface. You can default to Computers (Sorcery) if you like, though you're going to suck when doing so, but no matter how trained or untrained you are you're not going to be able to use a Black Hammer utility (cast a Powerbolt spell) unless you have the utility (know the spell).

QUOTE (tjn)
And yes it is primarily the Will (with a capital W) that powers the act but without Knowledge there to channel the Will, the Will does nothing.

And I agree. However, Sorcery is used to perform the act of casting a spell. The spell formula is what grants the knowledge of how to cast the spell. Without learning the spell's formula, you don't have the knowledge to cast the spell. Your ability to default to Willpower to cast the spell you have to learn either way has no bearing on that.

And yes, I believe Magic Background (or some other related skill) is what should be used to learn a spell's formula.

Think of Knowledge as to the working of Magic as tools are to the utilization of B/R skills.  One (EDIT)usually(/EDIT) can't fix a computer without having a screwdriver handy.

Another flawed analogy. The spell formula represents your tools. Casting the spell is the same as figuring out what you need to do to fix the the device; if you are trained in repairing it, you can do it with minimal fuss if you have the right tools (formula) but if you're not, you have to muddle your way through it but you still need the right tools (formula) to get the job done. Your B/R (Sorcery) Skill is your ability to use those tools, not the tools themselves.
Stumps
QUOTE (tjn)
It is not "MAGIC!"

eek.gif question.gif proof.gif

I thought it was?

Ok, looks like a simple Default to Will should solve things quite nicely without any risk of counter-balancing anything.

*l* I'd like to see some Default-casting of spells going wrong though...I'm sure it could be pretty humerous.

I get the nagging feeling that somethings being overlooked though...I hate that.
Herald of Verjigorm
Centering against penalties to offset the defaulting penalty, a mage can focus on increasing willpower and centering instead of sorcery, conjuring, centering, and maybe willpower. The willpower increase also makes drain easier to handle. If you don't allow spell pool on these tests, that just means they will have spell pool on defense at all times.

I haven't checked to see if it is a net karma savings.
tjn
/em takes a really big breath.

QUOTE (Gilthanis)
Well tjn your argument seems lacking because you keep bouncing between basing ALL Magic as knowledge first Active second.

The hell are you saying here? I have never said ALL magic is knowledge. Knowledge is a part of the foundation and without it magic will not work. However it is but one aspect of that foundation.

Since the PC would be a mage, they have some knowledge of Magic as they dabble and get instruction.  The spellcasting skill implies that they have had some guidence or practice in the art. But that doesn't mean they can't feel the magic running through their veigns.

That assumption is flat out wrong. See page 8 of MitS.

Without instruction, without learning the skill, the potential Awakened do not have any instinctual knowledge they have the ability and in addition to that, there are some that coast through their lives without ever realizing that potential.

It does not mean that they can't see the Astral (yes still magic here) with their astral perception without someone first teach Aura Reading. It does not REQUIRE an astral projection skill to actually project.

Astral Perception, and Astral Projection do not manipulate mana, therefore neither are truely acts of magic. Rather both of them are magical perceptions and are not directly involved in the working of magic (however they both will satisfy the Idenity requirement in order to manipulate mana).

So requiring the skill to actually cast spells (and let us not forget Conjuring is included here guys) would be pretty ballsy considering your whole description of how magic and magic theory works is completely opinion only with a few generic descriptions from the book to support the thesis.

If you want to get detailed, I could offer you Trismegistus or Bonisagus, The Kybalion or Corpus Hermeticum, or hell, you could even start with The Golden Dawn and Aleister Crowley. These people are the forefathers of the Hermetic Tradition in SR, they (along with the Native American Shamans) are the inspiration of both IC and OOC development of magic in SR.

I understand these resources aren't usually in their original language, and are often a touch hard to read, so I've tried to distill it to a more palitable morsel. Obviously I've failed, but I ask you to at least look into them before you declare yourself knower of all things magical.

I on the other hand still see no reason why EVERY other skill in the game defaults back to an attribute if you don't have the appropriate skill accept Magic which IS linked to the Willpower attribute.

Because magic doesn't work like EVERY other skill.

To address Stumps: the its "MAGIC!" line is an excuse that many uneducated use to explain anything relating to magic. Magic, in SR and according to some rather... unique fellows in the real world, functions by it's own set of metaphysical laws. Hermetic Theory is based on causal relationships and nothing happens "just because it's magic."

Just happens that what they identify as causal relationships aren't exactly what we identify as causal relationships. Least until the Sixth World.

To the lovable Doc:

QUOTE (Doc Funkenstein)
And I agree. However, Sorcery is used to perform the act of casting a spell. The spell formula is what grants the knowledge of how to cast the spell. Without learning the spell's formula, you don't have the knowledge to cast the spell. Your ability to default to Willpower to cast the spell you have to learn either way has no bearing on that.

I see what you're saying, truely I do. However my problem comes from Sorcery's mirror, Conjuring. If learning the spell were enough to satisfy the condition of casting a spell, why then aren't there Rituals (note the capital R) Rituals that acted like spells in which they took Karma to learn and different variations for different spirits?

To conjure a Forest Spirit would require a different set of pledges, bargins or cajolling then that of a Hearth Spirit. But that Knowledge (with a capital K) is locked within the Conjuring skill itself, and not within any ritual.

Flip it back to Sorcery and the Conjuring skill leads me to believe the Sorcery skill acts in the same way to maniplate the mana.

Another flawed analogy. The spell formula represents your tools. Casting the spell is the same as figuring out what you need to do to fix the the device; if you are trained in repairing it, you can do it with minimal fuss if you have the right tools (formula) but if you're not, you have to muddle your way through it but you still need the right tools (formula) to get the job done. Your B/R (Sorcery) Skill is your ability to use those tools, not the tools themselves.

If the Sorcery skill is the Ability (and I'm not sold on that idea just yet) then it would still be required to manipulate mana to achieve what the mage wishes to perform.

Again, my problem is if the spell formula represents the Knowledge required to work mana, what works as the Knowledge on the conjuring side of the coin?
Herald of Verjigorm
Ok, my simple example of my recent point. Much is in the list at the end, because I wanted to focus on easily quantified differences that are consistant regardless of character generation method.

base mage:
human (RM = 9, RML = 6)

start:
6 willpower
6 intelligence
(6 sorcery)
(6 conjuring)
6 artistic (knowledge)
6 centering

A: raise all skills by 2
30 for sorcery, 30 for conjuring, 30 for centering, 22 for artistic

B: raise willpower and centering skills by 2
45 for willpower, 22 artistic, 22 centering

things not quantified: savings from not using BP in conjuring/sorcery, consequences of always using up centering on reducing the defaulting penalty, bonus to sorcery drain resistance for higher willpower, loss of potential drain resistance due to lack of sorcery dice
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Oct 27 2004, 08:46 PM)
Centering against penalties to offset the defaulting penalty, a mage can focus on increasing willpower and centering instead of sorcery, conjuring, centering, and maybe willpower.  The willpower increase also makes drain easier to handle.

Every die spent on using Centering to offset the penalty they're voluntarily taking for not learning the spell is a penalty they're not offsetting without it (or using to help resist Drain, or gain extra dice, or any of the other uses of Centering). In effect you're exchanging the requirement for two seperate Skills (Centering and the secondary Skill) for the use of a single Skill (Sorcery) that's not even going to have a chance totally off-setting the difference unless you score 8 successes (thus needing a minimum Centering of 8). Not to mention wasting one initiation and the Karma spent there-on for the "priviledge."

Against a TN of 4 (ha!), you need Centering 16 to come close to guaranteeing a total nullification of the defaulting penalty.

If you don't allow spell pool on these tests, that just means they will have spell pool on defense at all times.

Then remove the current exception to the rules that allows magicians to assign Pool dice greater than the Skill dice they assign if you consider it a major problem. Since they have no Skill, they can't assign any Pool.

Notice that defaulting also restricts the amount of Spell Pool that can be used with normal spellcasting. So even if you have Willpower 6 and Centering 16 (or Centering 6 and you get phenomenally lucky), a skilled Sorcerer will still outperform you with Sorcery 6.
Stumps
tjn...I was joking. Take another breath. I'm not out to get you or pick arguments.

I'll stick to what I always say. I don't really care what the books say about this and that when it comes to house rules. Mainly this is because SR openly tells the reader, at the beginning of the book, to change things you don't like or think could work better.
That means the entire book, not a part, is open for game. Including flavor, history, and the mechanics.

In this case, a player doesn't think that something adds up, so they want to change it. What they appear to want is a check on the balance of adjusting it.
Not really a "rationality check"
tjn
QUOTE (Stumps)
tjn...I was joking.  Take another breath.  I'm not out to get you or pick arguments.

I apologize if I somehow gave the impression that I thought you were. I do not shy away from conflict in a debate, but I do try and hold my feelings for an individual person and my feelings for a spirited discussion seperate.

I'll stick to what I always say.  I don't really care what the books say about this and that when it comes to house rules.  Mainly this is because SR openly tells the reader, at the beginning of the book, to change things you don't like or think could work better.

While that is a nice sentiment, I feel the need for all players to know what to expect when they come to the table, trumps that concern. If house rules are presented and agreed on before hand, it partially mitigates this factor, but does not absolve it completely as no set of house rules will cover every eventuallity.

Therefore in my judgement, there needs to be a overwhelmingly compelling reason in order to deviate from canon. Such as the cyberlimb rules or vehicles being taken down by simple handguns.

That means the entire book, not a part, is open for game.  Including flavor, history, and the mechanics.

I agree in definition, but in my opinion, the fact that it can be changed doesn't mean it should be changed.

In this case, a player doesn't think that something adds up, so they want to change it.  What they appear to want is a check on the balance of adjusting it.
Not really a "rationality check"

And in this case, the player's assertion that magical skills should act like every other skill is inconsistant with the established reality. If the proposed change were to go through, it would effectively eliminate Hermetics as a valid tradition and require a rewrite of the magic section in order to make it consistant with the fact that magical skills are now just like any other skill.

Now personally, that's a lot of work for a very small ruling. And on top of that, it would drastically violate the assumptions of any new player to the group, forcing them, in effect, to relearn everything they thought they knew about how magic in SR works.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (tjn)
And in this case, the player's assertion that magical skills should act like every other skill is inconsistant with the established reality.

No it's not. Feel free to cite examples that state as much. Here's a few of my own.

SR3 p. 84, Defaulting: "Sometimes a character wants to attempt an action but doesn't have the necessary skill. [...] Improvising when your character doesn't have the necessary skill is called defaulting."

SR3 p. 177, Sorcery: "Mages control mana through a specific, practiced formula and effort of will. Shamans rarely cast spells the same way twice. Their magic comes from the intuitition, improvisation, and an understanding of the moment."

SR3 p. 161, On the Manipulation of Mana: "Sorcery involves the intuitive manipulation of the mana field by the magician who shapes it in certain ways for certain effects."

MitS p. 8, The Magical Child: "Some gifted children first display their powers spontaneously under stress."

Note the added emphasis in the quotes.

I think what you meant to say is that the rules are inconsistant with the established reality of the game. As far as game balance goes, there's nothing wrong with it. As far as in-game logic goes, there's nothing wrong with it. As far as the rules go... that's where the problem is.

If the proposed change were to go through, it would effectively eliminate Hermetics as a valid tradition

To be crude, how the fuck so? You're desperately grasping at straws here.

...and require a rewrite of the magic section in order to make it consistant with the fact that magical skills are now just like any other skill.

Just the opposite. It requires only a few minor changes, mostly changing "Default: None" to "Default: Attribute" to the tiny little skill description and then removing the exception to the rules that states that magicians can apply Spell Pool to spell defense without applying any Sorcery dice. That's about it.

Feel free to prove how it's unbalancing or requires an extensive rewrite of the system.
Ol' Scratch
As an additional comment, I get the feeling that those of you opposed to the idea (mechanically) don't use the defaulting rules that often. Defaulting to an attribute is vicious and definitely something that's a last-ditch effort.

To prove the point, compare two magicians. They are identical in all ways except one has Sorcery 6 and the other does not. They both have Willpower 6, Magic 6, and Spell Pool 6 and neither have any foci or other related abilities or tricks. Now let's say they're casting a Powerbolt on a dwarf with Body 4. They're both casting a Force 4 spell and doing so with a base of Moderate damage.

Skilled Magician has a TN of 4 and can roll up to 12 dice for the test, granting him about 6 successes on average. Unskilled Slacker has a TN of 8 and can only roll 6 dice since his Spell Pool is useless to him, and thus is lucky if he gets even one success but we'll assume he managed one.

The dwarf resists (TN 4 with Body 4) and gets two successes. Against the Skilled Magician, he just took a Deadly wound and goes down for the count. Against the Unskilled Slacker, he brushed it off without so uch as a scratch and returns fire on the jackass who just tried to fry him because he was a cheapstake who didn't want to pay someone to teach him how to cast spells effeciently..

Oh, how tragically broken. <rolls his eyes>
Stumps
Doc really summed it up perfectly well on the mechanical end of things there.

But I have a few comments regarding game "ethics" as it seems it's producing itself into.
I agree in definition, but in my opinion, the fact that it can be changed doesn't mean it should be changed.

um...so don't change it in YOUR game.

I could conversly say the following:
The fact that it is in the book doesn't mean it should be in the book.
wink.gif
Kinda why they bothered to tell us they think it's cool if we change their rules.

While that is a nice sentiment, I feel the need for all players to know what to expect when they come to the table, trumps that concern. If house rules are presented and agreed on before hand, it partially mitigates this factor, but does not absolve it completely as no set of house rules will cover every eventuallity.

This, I'm afraid, has nothing to do with the topic at all. You have begun to argue whether HOUSE RULES should be used at all and on what ground they should be used.
We aren't talking about that here. I think it's pretty obvious that Gilthanis is pro-house rules.

Therefore in my judgement, there needs to be a overwhelmingly compelling reason in order to deviate from canon. Such as the cyberlimb rules or vehicles being taken down by simple handguns.

I think you said it best. "Therefore in my judgement".
That means when it's your game it's your decision.
When it's not your game, it's not your decision.
All you can do is help make it balance out.

And in this case, the player's assertion that magical skills should act like every other skill is inconsistant with the established reality.

SR3, p38: The Abstract Nature Of The Rules: "These rules are not meant to be a direct copy of how things really work. They can't be. We try to approximate conditions and situations in reality as much as possible, but that can only go so far..."

tjn: That quote is what you are saying

SR3, p38: The Abstract Nature Of The Rules: "(BUT)...If you come up with a game mechanic that you think works better--go for it!"

tjn: that's what I'm saying...and so did they.

...it would drastically violate the assumptions of any new player to the group, forcing them, in effect, to relearn everything they thought they knew about how magic in SR works.

*shakes head* look. Don't try to be the daddy for Gilthanis' GMing. I'm sure he can make those decisions about newbies quite capably without your concern.
If you personally are worried about it...like I said.
Don't use the rule.
Gilthanis
Thanks everyone for bringing us back to the real topic. Magic and how it really works (I snicker every time someone says that) will always be a debate because of the wide variety of magics in the game. Look at the Psionics for crying out loud. Like it was mentioned before. I am looking for reasons that this could be unbalancing. The +4 target number is pretty nasty as it stands. Centering is the one thing that could possibly reduce this, but since a situation that this could be beneficial would be so rare that it wouldn't be offsetting. (please refer to previous Karma expenditures example)

Now on the THEORETICAL idea of the magic. IMOO I would have to say that all Magi at the beginning have to start pure willpower. You don't understand sorcery your first time dabbling and therefore are "freeballing" it to acquire the knowledge needed for a skill of one. After that it would make since to stand on the foundation you've built. But, most people would agree that if you have a low skill that trading off a higher target number (an easy chance at failing the spell which is the true goal) to avoid a total and utter botch (always a secondary or thirdary... effect of failing) is a valid choice.

So lets come up with some ways this could POSSIBLY be offsetting. Shall we?
Stumps
Actually...*snicker*...I was thinking...this is potentially evil really.
If a character with Phsyonics mentally sent an image to a mage, who doesn't have the Formula fresh/or at all in their mind, of a spell Formula they "happened" (for some odd ass reason) to know the image of...hehe.... grinbig.gif

Just a random screwball that could be fun to pluck at with the defaulting mage concepts...but would be more like a temporary skill rating = to some value of relation to the Physonics ability to send and the Mages ability to cast mixed together. Some high tax to the Phsyonic character would be the result I think.

(opens can-o-worms and runs)
Stumps
To sum up the results of what we debated a result of...

QUOTE (FINAL RULE?)
1) Sorcery now has a Default to Willpower with a penalty of +4

2) Change "Magicians can apply Spell Pool to spell defense without applying any Sorcery dice"
to
"Magicians cannot apply Spell Pool to spell defense without applying any Sorcery dice"
QUOTE (NOTICE!!)
This house rule was made by fellow DSFers FOR Gilthanis exclusively.
All others interested in it's use are completely more than welcome to do so obviously.
The debate on it's ethical rule use is back on page 3 (have fun)
Fortune
Maybe in your game, but not in mine. I'm perfectly fine with the idea that spellcasters (and conjurers) have to actually know how to manipulate mana, which is well-represented by the appropriate skills and the requirement of foreknowledge of the specific spell required. I don't see the need to change this, but YMMV.
Stumps
Oh yeah...thanks for reminding me Fortune..
Gilthanis
I'm not saying knowledge of the spell is absent. The formula should be known. Just having a skill in it should be treated like EVERY other skill in the game. Defaulting to the Attribute for whatever reason should be allowed. You could totally learn the spell using the attribute but only with a +4 target number which is tremendous when trying to learn spells. Learning a force 6 would be target number 16. The debate is whether the skill MUST be present to even be capable of casting or conjuring and the idea that you can do anything without skills by defaulting to an attribute except for sorcery and conjuring is kind of funky. Everyone implying the idea of casting a specific spell (let's say manabolt) without learning the formula is absurd. But, that doesn't mean you don't have the ability to manipulate the energies without using a different approach. This is how we get different traditions, formulas, and techniques.
Fortune
I wasn't trying to be a dick. I was merely expressing my opinion on the matter. smile.gif
Stumps
well...then how can we resolve this?

1) You want a default.
2) A (census??) answer on whether you can cast a spell without the skill (to which I will always say, "no, the book says you can't"...but should you be able to...sure, with the right rules)
3) You want a "randomizer(??)" to make it so you can't choose the spell you will cast un-skilled?
4) And doc suggested the Pool change for balance.

[edit]Don't worry Fortune, I knew you weren't being a dick...you're Fortune!! I was actually being serious when I said thanks, cause if you read back...there's ALOT of opinion on whether this rule concept needs to exit, but really VERY little on the rule itself...and I didn't want to really spark that opinion "should it, shouldn't it be used" conversation all over again. I can understand how you would voice your opinion because I had nothing stating the debate on it prior to your post, hence the "thank you"[/edit]
Ol' Scratch
What's there to resolve? Those against it are against it on general principal, misguided as that principal is. nyahnyah.gif
Stumps
point number 2 and 3

Gilthanis added to the overall request's clearity of desire in his post above...2 and 3 are really almost a question of double checking to him from me on that.
toturi
Which, of course, opens up the can of worms:

Can mundanes cast spells?

Since defaulting to Willpower is allowable and knowledge of spell design is not limited to Awakened only (this is Canon), mundanes can now cast spells using the above House Rule. Their Magic is 0, so they will always suffer physical drain but they can cast spells.
Stumps
no. We are talking about Skill. Not Magic rating.
Just because you Default to Will doesn't mean that you bypass the pre-requisit of needing at least 1 Magic point.
Gilthanis
I feel the skill should be there for any professional magi with spellcasting or conjuring (whichever you want to default). But, the character could just slap a skill of 1 on there and start defaulting away to their hearts desire. I am looking more towards if there would be any pimpage issues with it in some way. Kinda like what I brought up earlier with the spell defense scenario. I agree spell defense should be affected by the defaulting and vice versa, but not eliminated altogether. Now with that mentioned... is there any other concerns? I have heard people mention not allowing Centering to eliminate penalties. I could go either way on that. What else could be effected or used to utilize the defaulting?
Stumps
ok...

Default to Will (CHECK)
Cannot apply Spell Pool to spell defense without applying any Sorcery dice (CHECK)

Inability to choose exact spell but does cast something (big void there)
Stumps
I would say something like this for the caster not being able to claim "I'm defaulting mana bolt!"

The Defaulting Caster may claim the "style" or "class" of the spell they are trying to cast, but the specific spell is determined by the GM.

Does that work?? yes? no? (totally out of my ass on that one)
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (toturi)
Which, of course, opens up the can of worms:

Can mundanes cast spells?

No. That's not a can of worms, that's just being stupid. Sorcery still requires a Magic of 1 (whether you're defaulting or not), a tradition, and all the other things it's always required. You might as well say that all mundanes can use astral perception since it uses Intelligence.

QUOTE (Gilthanis)
I have heard people mention not allowing Centering to eliminate penalties.

Considering that you'd need Centering 16 (and thus Artistic Skill 16, too), as mentioned way up above to reliably have any chance of doing (and assuming your TN was always a simple one at 4), that's a non-issue.
Stumps
Now, now Doc. Take it easy. I know it's been a rough thread. nyahnyah.gif
Ol' Scratch
Bah.

Tell you what, those opposed to the ideas of defaulting to Willpower because it represents a lack of "knowledge" for how to cast a spell (despite the spell formula giving you all the instructions you need -- we'll continue to ignore that since it's a blatant bit of a proof contrary to your point of view), how about defaulting to Magic Background?
Stumps
*lol*

so does this work?

The Defaulting Caster may claim the "style" or "class" of the spell they are trying to cast, but the specific spell is determined by the GM.
Stumps
how about defaulting to Magic Background

???????

Did you mean Defaulting to "Magic" or Magic Background the Knowledge Skill?
Ol' Scratch
Nah, I don't care for that at all. Knowing the spell's formula is a *must* for voluntary spellcasting.

If you want to work on including a whole new mechanic for spontaneous magic... that's something I'd rather not help with. Way too big and a massive change to the entire system (both mechanically and balance-wise).
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Stumps)
Did you mean Defaulting to "Magic" or Magic Background the Knowledge Skill?

Knowledge "with a capital K." They claim that you have to "know" how to work magic. Magic Background includes that knowledge. And it's actual knowledge to boot.
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Stumps)
Inability to choose exact spell but does cast something (big void there)

Stumps... I'm not saying random spells or random effects. I'm saying learn the formula (not random), if someone wants to be anal and require a sorcery skill (learn at least skill 1 and then default as you wish but I don't think it would be necessary). The whole random stuff came up while everyone else was discussing HOW people first spike/realise they have magic.

Toturi... you are taking the concept way too far on the idea to just let everyone have the ability. It is restricted to those who have a Magic Attribute as well. But, keep in mind the whole Earthdawn game too. IF you use it as part of the SR universe, then eventually EVERYONE will have access to it. The mana levels are just too low right now for some. Call it genetic supremecy or whatever floats your boat.

Stumps
Ok, I only threw that out there cause Gilthanis asked for it...but I really wasn't looking for that to make alot of sense cause I look at Physical Adpets as being magicians who haven't quite got their spell casting finited.
A good amount of their powers are rather "scattery" and not direct.
"Magical" punches, etc...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012