Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Chibu
So, basically, i was wondering what questions have players asked that the answer was a "NO!" or something similar. I'll site a joke i made the other night while playing i asked "Do I get to use combat pool when rolling to have sex with a Free Spirit?"
Smiley
Players: How much karma do we get?

GM: How much do you think you deserve?

Players: A MILLION!
amadeus
"So ah, guys can I have a couple of years of downtime so I can make my character more badass?"

amadeus
Kaosaur
(upon receiving a direct contact phone number for Hestaby, who just happens to be this character's idol and someone he desparately wants to make as a contact, as a reward for doing something REALLY slick)

Me: Can I get a quick break to call this number while you guys are moving this cargo?
[The Party is smuggling Telesma from Shasta Dam between the CFS and the Tir. Don't ask ;P]

Party: NO!
fistandantilus4.0
"Can I get MilSpec armor?"
Kagetenshi
"So I was listening to this song by King Missile, can I—"

~J
Smiley
Capt. Dave: "So I was working on my rigger..."
fistandantilus4.0
"Can I get a Striker light tank?"

One of these days, I'm just going to say yes, and let the mpay the consequences of running around armed liek the fraggin' military. Go all GTA 3 on 'em

"Hey look! The national gaurd has tanks too!"
nezumi
"I saw this pistol on Raygun's site that does 12S, and..."
"I'd like to make a spell where I get immunity to normal weapons, like a spirit!"
"Let me change this $100,000 I just made into karma..."
Garland
"So I was looking at the armor-layering rules and..."
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

~J

So what's the essence cost on that? wink.gif
Nikoli
"I was thinking, a conjurer adept doesn't seem to need a Magic rating..."
"Can I play a sniper?"
"So, what about my Neo concept?"
Ezra
"I have this idea for a Grammaton Cleric, and I wanted..."
"Does my dodge pool mean I actually dodge bullets?"
"Oh Ezra, could I borrow your dice?"
biggrin.gif
Solstice
QUOTE (nezumi)
"Let me change this $100,000 I just made into karma..."

This seems to come up alot in my game.

Along with the perceived need for a light tank or LAV.
Wounded Ronin
"But it worked for Lee Van Cleef in 'The Master'..."
The Grifter
"Remember that scene in Rambo when..."
frostPDP
Grammaton Cleric: Adept with 5 points in improved reflexes and two in pistols. Perhaps edges which give you more ability to hit with a pistol; that, and at least some level of Ambidexterity. The "basic grammaton cleric" plain and simple ain't Preston.

Preston requires about a 6th grade Initiate. But man, he would be fun to see dodging around the SR world. Too bad he'd be unbalancing.

"Can I sneak my Remmington rifle through an airport in a bag...?"
"What about my Panther Assault cannon...?"
"Can I get another...?"
The Grifter
I wish that movie never came out.
frostPDP
Well, it was an attempt to combine Dystopia (a great genre) and sci-fi awesomeguncombat. Virtually impossible without involving some kind of metaphysics, which they chose not to.

Though the theory -almost- makes sense. If you can read someone's mind, that technique would work provided you can read their mind and move faster then them all while they move to shoot you. Since that ain't the way that film's system works, no dice.

But you have to admit, a fencing-like duel with handguns was pretty cool.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Apr 27 2005, 11:32 PM)

~J

So what's the essence cost on that? wink.gif

Depends, are we including all the nerves? Maybe .1 for a "dumb" version, .4 for normal capabilities, and 1.0+ for "enhanced sensitivity" versions?

~J
Cynic project
"Man,I can I play a furry?"

"Oh,I'll make her sexy?"

"what abou' a cat girl?"

"Can I make batman?"

"I wana play a spike baby from Scotland named McClo...."

"Can I play lesbian elf?"

"Can I get a ally spirit that will fuck anything that moves?But mainly me and hot chicks"
Kyuhan
35 year old virgins, will wonders never cease...?
Wounded Ronin
OK, I thought of one.

"If I stop saying my character has sex with the NPCs for 30 days of game time, will I get a +1 to my Unarmed Combat Power due to my saving up ample fa jing?"

"YES!"
KnightRunner
Do Panther Cannons fire full Auto?

torzzzzz
'Have I learnt that spell yet?'.....(ink had just dryed on the character sheet)

torz x rotfl.gif
Mortax
(As the team was getting ready to fly somewhere on a comercial airline)
Can I bring the vindicator?
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (frostPDP)
Well, it was an attempt to combine Dystopia (a great genre) and sci-fi awesomeguncombat. Virtually impossible without involving some kind of metaphysics, which they chose not to.

Though the theory -almost- makes sense. If you can read someone's mind, that technique would work provided you can read their mind and move faster then them all while they move to shoot you. Since that ain't the way that film's system works, no dice.

But you have to admit, a fencing-like duel with handguns was pretty cool.

Sounds like Remo Williams...another classic so bad, I can't help to not watch it.
Kiedo
"If he says it's okay can I borrow some of his karma?"

"Can I take a loan from a bank out so I can buy a thunderbird?"

"Can I roll to see if she's horny?"

Runner1: "Should I shoot him?"
Runner2: "Who the priest?
Runner1: "He looks threatening."
Runner 2: "He looks eighty."
Runner 1: "Please"

"Okay if I promise never to do it again can I shoot this Lonestar cop and get away for now?"

"What type of target number modifiers do I get for having a stiffy in combat?"

"Can I play two characters at once?"

"So I was just looking over the rules for suprise tests...."

"Roll some dice to see if I'm getting drunk."
frostPDP
LOL At that last one, Keido.

But oddly enough, the answer to that first one is sometimes yes!! At least, when it comes to creating an initiatory group, a PC may put Karma up for another. If this can be paid back or not is beyond me.
The Grifter
"Can I make a lightsaber?"
frostPDP
o.O Yet they have that laser-axe. So maybe, just maybe, it -could- be done. At least, by 2070. But why have a lightsaber when you have Monoswords?
Wounded Ronin
Because once you have a lightsaber you can try and make a Jedi Guardian (physad) or Jedi Counselor (aspected magician) character and it will be all in character like.
Kaosaur
QUOTE (frostPDP)
o.O Yet they have that laser-axe. So maybe, just maybe, it -could- be done. At least, by 2070. But why have a lightsaber when you have Monoswords?

Because some people actually want their enemies to SEE their Big Shiny Penis before they hack them to bits with it.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Chibu)
So, basically, i was wondering what questions have players asked that the answer was a "NO!" or something similar. I'll site a joke i made the other night while playing i asked "Do I get to use combat pool when rolling to have sex with a Free Spirit?"

Now that makes me want to take Spirit erogoneous zones as a knowledge skill.
First for the complementry dice and, once the character initiates, for centering.
Wounded Ronin
So what happens when you run out of semen?
DocMortand
That's what the spirit power "Wealth" is for, of course!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
So what happens when you run out of semen?

It wouldn't be considered an artistic skill if there wasn't some creativity involved.
Ezra
QUOTE (frostPDP)
Grammaton Cleric: Adept with 5 points in improved reflexes and two in pistols. Perhaps edges which give you more ability to hit with a pistol; that, and at least some level of Ambidexterity. The "basic grammaton cleric" plain and simple ain't Preston.

Preston requires about a 6th grade Initiate. But man, he would be fun to see dodging around the SR world. Too bad he'd be unbalancing.
<snip>

NO!!
biggrin.gif
Arethusa
Repost from a year ago, but I couldn't resist.
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Jun 24 2004, 05:29 PM)
Fuck Preston, let's do the Equilibrium Cleaners.
CODE
Attributes
Strength: 3
Quickness: 4 (need to be above average to cock to weapons quick and dramatic-like)
Body: 4 (need to be above average to do everything wearing a heavy trench coat and motorcycle helmet that do nothing to protect you)
Intelligence: 3 (it would be lower, but you need to be smart enough to recognize those dramatic pauses)
Willpower: 1 (just can't resist those dramatic pauses!)
Charisma: 4 (needs to be high enough to withstand the hit to charisma from wearing a trench coat and motorcycle helmet so those weapons can be cocked dramatically)

Skills
Assault Rifle(Cocking Assault Rifles): 1/6
Clubs(Having Weapon Taken by Cleric and Used to Beat Me to Death): 1/6
Heavy Weapons(Spraying Useless From the Hip):1/2
Rifles(Shooting Puppies with Sniper Rifles at 2 meters): 1/3
Shotguns(Loosely Gripped): 0/3
SMGs(Cocking SMGs): 1/6
Unarmed Combat(Standing Still and Not Putting Up a Fight): 0/3
Intimidation(Melodramatic): 1/4
Cocking Mechanisms B/R: 6
Small Unit Tactics(Ineffective Urban Swarm): 1/4
Bike(Stopping Melodramatically and Dangerously Close): 1/5
Knowledge:Edged Weapons(Taking Sword from Cleric but Not Guns): 1/6
Knowledge:Cocking Weapons Theory: 6

Edges
Aptidude (cocking weapon)
Aptitude (recognizing dramatic pauses in speeches)
Double Jointed: Just kidding!  Preston really did shatter that arm.
Bravery: The strength to get up every morning and walk outside wearing a trench coat and a motorcycle helmet at all times does not come easily.
Perceptive: Got to hear those dramatic pauses.
Blandness: We all look alike.

Flaws
Compulsion (very extreme): Must cock weapon at dramatic pauses in any speech within earshot.
Compulsion (severe): Who can resist shooting puppies with a sniper rifle at close range?
Compulsion (severe): A man who burns the Mona Lisa for a living is a man who loves his work.
Day Job (40hrs/week): It's hard work, cocking all those weapons, but someone has to do it.
Distinctive Style (trench coat and motorcycle helmet): It looks stupid, but someone's got to wear all this body armor that does nothing to protect you from hordes of untrained, horribly armed, completely incapable civilians.
Dan Difino
Can I Dikote my (Blank)

Can I have sex with my (Blank)

Can I create my own adept powers?

Can my ally spirit turn into a motorcycle?

Can I play a vampire adept?
mfb
maybe others will find this funny, maye they won't. it's an alternate perspective: what Arethusa's post would have looked like on the brown forums.

CODE
Attributes
Strength: 3
Quickness: 4 (need to be above average to **** to weapons quick and dramatic-like)
Body: 4 (need to be above average to do everything wearing a heavy trench coat and motorcycle helmet that do nothing to protect you)
Intelligence: 3 (it would be lower, but you need to be smart enough to recognize those dramatic pauses)
Willpower: 1 (just can't resist those dramatic pauses!)
Charisma: 4 (needs to be high enough to withstand the hit to charisma from wearing a trench coat and motorcycle helmet so those weapons can be ****ed dramatically)

Skills
Assault Rifle(****ing Assault Rifles): 1/6
Clubs(Having Weapon Taken by Cleric and Used to Beat Me to Death): 1/6
Heavy Weapons(Spraying Useless From the Hip):1/2
Rifles(Shooting Puppies with Sniper Rifles at 2 meters): 1/3
Shotguns(Loosely Gripped): 0/3
SMGs(****ing SMGs): 1/6
Unarmed Combat(Standing Still and Not Putting Up a Fight): 0/3
Intimidation(Melodramatic): 1/4
****ing Mechanisms B/R: 6
Small Unit Tactics(Ineffective Urban Swarm): 1/4
Bike(Stopping Melodramatically and Dangerously Close): 1/5
Knowledge:Edged Weapons(Taking Sword from Cleric but Not Guns): 1/6
Knowledge:****ing Weapons Theory: 6

Edges
Aptidude (****ing weapon)
Aptitude (recognizing dramatic pauses in speeches)
Double Jointed: Just kidding!  Preston really did shatter that arm.
Bravery: The strength to get up every morning and walk outside wearing a trench coat and a motorcycle helmet at all times does not come easily.
Perceptive: Got to hear those dramatic pauses.
Blandness: We all look alike.

Flaws
Compulsion (very extreme): Must **** weapon at dramatic pauses in any speech within earshot.
Compulsion (severe): Who can resist shooting puppies with a sniper rifle at close range?
Compulsion (severe): A man who burns the Mona Lisa for a living is a man who loves his work.
Day Job (40hrs/week): It's hard work, ****ing all those weapons, but someone has to do it.
Distinctive Style (trench coat and motorcycle helmet): It looks stupid, but someone's got to wear all this body armor that does nothing to protect you from hordes of untrained, horribly armed, completely incapable civilians.
frostPDP
Wow. Much hate for the Grammaton! And yet, we love to bash the useless Sweeper.

I dunno, I like the cleric. I even, in a way, like the concept. The problem is that "traditional lines of fire" don't apply for people WITHOUT extreme skill. Its like when Kyo fought Shinrei in Samurai Deeper: Kyo (Volume 12): The better Kyo read Shinrei's moves, the worse he did trying to dodge his blows. Kyo closes his eyes, Shinrei's curving swords lose their illusionary effect.

So yeah. Not that I'd dodge a sword with my eyes closed.

All they had to do was make Clerics psychic and it would have made, umm, sense.
mfb
yeah. that "traditional lines of fire" crap was... well, crap. rest of the movie was fun, though.
frostPDP
Its great though; the Sweepers -slaughtered- every ounce of rebel resistance until the end, in which case they just got eaten. For no good reason.

I picture that if they had made the combat between normal people (not Sweeper V Preston) a little more realistic, it would have made the Sweepers look at least semi-credible.

I mean, armor jacket and security helmet ain't bad gear, nor is an AK-97-equivalent. Plus they'd have to be somewhat skilled, since I presume that cleric-class Father was teaching was recruited from those who did more than cock their weapons.
Smiley
QUOTE (Dan Difino)
Can I Dikote my (Blank)

You don't allow Dikote?
fistandantilus4.0
I think he's referring to the over-the-top dikoting like:

Can I Dikote my (car).
One of my players actually asked me that. I told him to calculate the cost. changed his mind
Critias
Hey, it'd look really cool.
The Other DSE
This was *supposed* to be a serious campaign when it came up:

"Hey guys, I've got this idea for my next character: The English Ninja!"

<insert hearty denial here>

"But he's got a great slogan: 'Stealth through Superior Firepower!'"

<insert vigorous denial and beating here>

If it hadn't been a serious campaign, I would have thought the idea great. As it is I still use the tagline constantly...

Speaking of which...

<finally adds signature>

The Other DSE
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Dan Difino)
Can I Dikote my (Blank)

Can I have sex with my (Blank)

Can I create my own adept powers?

Can my ally spirit turn into a motorcycle?

Can I play a vampire adept?

I must just run with a different set of folks, asisde from "can I make up adept powers", I've never had any of my runners utter any-sort of this stuff, LOL.
fistandantilus4.0
BTW, you can make an ally spirit into a motorcycle. Talon did it in one o fthe novels. There's another example of a spirit manifesting as a yacht (Wolf and Raven, first story).

is it a good idea....? imagine cruising down the freeway at 150kmh, and having your spirit banished. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012