Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
nezumi
Lina - I'd have no problem with saying it doesn't stack with a SL. That would put your adepts, mages, etc. etc. on about even keel with a sam, IF they wanted to spend the resources, and it wouldn't go into geas, which I hate. The problem is it usually only comes up with people who've already put quite enough into their pistols/rifles/whatever skill, and they're reaching the point that they can shoot things on the astral because they're just THAT good.
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
If your TNs are usually 2, we're playing different games.

~J

Again, what is your point?

How is it fair for gun bunnies to have a way to reduce their tgt#s and unfair for melee/mages/riggers/deckers to have the same advantages?

As for your campaign vs mine, that means nothing. There are very few penalties for shooters that can't be reduced one way or another. Aptitude reduces it by a single lousy point. SL2 reduces it by 2. How is the former unbalanced by the latter balanced, especially when Aptitude costs a hell of lot more (4 build points) than SL2 (3500Y and .5 essense).
Kagetenshi
Because they stack. Both for the mages and for the cyber-freaks. What part about that is difficult to understand?

~J
Dawnshadow
They stack.

So what?

Everything negative stacks. Additional +2 per level of light lost. Additional +x per range increment. Why shouldn't benefits stack?
Kagetenshi
Because you end up with too many benefits?

Take a look at smartlink+vismag, too. There's already a canon philosophy of some benefits not stacking.

~J
DocMortand
*cough* Take it to another thread, people smile.gif Back to the original point...

"Can I build any of AH's artifacts as a starting character?"
Sorry, AH...

LinaInverse
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Because they stack. Both for the mages and for the cyber-freaks. What part about that is difficult to understand?

And a vast majority of mages/adepts don't have cyber. What part about that is difficult to understand?

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Because you end up with too many benefits?

Take a look at smartlink+vismag, too. There's already a canon philosophy of some benefits not stacking.

Laser Sight + Vismag do stack. So does SL2, Recoil Comp, and Ultrasound. Most benefits, other than those explicitly stated otherwise, do stack. Deal with it.
Apathy
I'm not a big fan of aptitudes of any sort, myself. The text in the decription warns that GMs should consider carefully before allowing PCs to get aptitudes in combat or magical skills. But just like anything else, it depends on the kind of game you're running. If you want to GM a more heroic/high-powered game, then maybe those aptitudes would be fine.

For my games, though, no aptitudes in any combat or magical skills.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (LinaInverse @ May 5 2005, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

And a vast majority of mages/adepts don't have cyber. What part about that is difficult to understand?

The part where you say that most mages/adepts don't have cyber. That not merely does not agree with my experience, but is diametrically opposite to it.
Most benefits, other than those explicitly stated otherwise, do stack.  Deal with it.

And this stacks with all of those benefits. Deal with it.

"So if I buy you lunch, can I…"

~J
DocMortand
*sigh* mine as well, Apathy...and Lina's in my game smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (LinaInverse @ May 5 2005, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (DocMortand @ May 4 2005, 10:50 PM)
QUOTE (Smiley @ May 4 2005, 11:25 PM)
This guy would have gotten the 'NO!' right after aptitude: pistols.

[EDIT] I take that back. He would would have gotten it after aptitude: pist...

Got THAT right.

I really wonder why are you and others are so up in arms about Aptitude: Pistols (or any other skill). If Smartgun Link 2 is balanced (-2 to tgt#), then how is Aptitude so unbalanced (-1 to tgt#)? And don't give me the nuyen/essense costs; SL2 is about the cheapest, easiest thing in the book to get.

Because SR already has so much stupid, twinkish crap that reduces player TNs. They don't need one single solitary more TN reduction, especially one that the rules say you shouldn't give out.

EDIT: Or, in keeping with the thread topic: No! wink.gif
JaronK
Um, this one's simple. Aptitude, by the rules, is not for combat skills. Thus... NO!

JaronK
Kagetenshi
By the rules it is for everything. There's a note that suggests that GMs think twice before allowing it, but it's canon.

~J
Dawnshadow
Aptitude, by the rules, IS valid for combat, computer and magical skills.

It's recommended to be carefully considered before allowing. Not 'disallowed', not 'recommended to be disallowed'. Any ruling disallowing it is, by definition, a house rule -- because the aptitude edge is not listed as an 'optional' rule. It's listed as one, and then attention is drawn to it because it can make PCs more powerful.

Any GM that wants to restrict or disallow it can -- that's GM call. But, it is a house rule. One that the vocal dumpshock portion favours to the exclusion of all else it seems, but still, a house rule-- because the rules DO assume that Aptitude will be allowed.

Just in case people have forgotten the exact text:

QUOTE (Shadowrun Companion @ p. 18)

It is strongly recommended that the gamemaster consider carefully beforing allowing any player character to take an Aptitude in any Combat, Magical or Computer skill, as these can easily disrupt the balance of a game.

What that means is just what it says: Think about it! The only difference between Aptitude and any other rule or possible rules is that aptitude it's directly called to the gamemaster's attention... and using MitS (for instance) is not -- but using MitS without something to augment heavily cybered characters is even more unbalancing.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Edward)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ May 4 2005, 11:38 AM)
" no you cannot dikote your damn tail!"

“Ok ok, can I have a dikoted cyber tail on my elf catgirl assassin”

How about a ruthenium tail?

Yes, the elven catgirl wanted it.
Smiley
...why?
Crimsondude 2.0
Why not? They're already playing the world's most incognito assassin...
Smiley
Yeah, 'cuz nothing says incognito like an elf catgirl... even with the ruthenium tail. How about some feathers or tusks to go with that?
toturi
QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ May 6 2005, 04:45 AM)
It's recommended to be carefully considered before allowing. Not 'disallowed', not 'recommended to be disallowed'. Any ruling disallowing it is, by definition, a house rule -- because the aptitude edge is not listed as an 'optional' rule. It's listed as one, and then attention is drawn to it because it can make PCs more powerful.

Any GM that wants to restrict or disallow it can -- that's GM call. But, it is a house rule. One that the vocal dumpshock portion favours to the exclusion of all else it seems, but still, a house rule-- because the rules DO assume that Aptitude will be allowed.

Just in case people have forgotten the exact text:

QUOTE (Shadowrun Companion @  p. 18)

It is strongly recommended that the gamemaster consider carefully beforing allowing any player character to take an Aptitude in any Combat, Magical or Computer skill, as these can easily disrupt the balance of a game.

What that means is just what it says: Think about it!

The recommendation(as well as other such recommendations) in SRComp straddles the line between explicitly disallowing such options (which mostly defeats the point of printing it) and allowing the players to have free reign (as much it is possible as everything is subject to GM discretion). Notice that even cybermancy explicitly gives the GM the option to allow it in game. Any GM allowing or disallowing "Aptitude: Combat skill/Magical Skill/Computer" is exercising the explicit( as opposed to the general) option for him to allow or disallow it.

EDIT: Egad! When did I grow scales and become a dragon?! eek.gif
Ceres
Epoc: ...This is boring, I want to fight more enemies!
Within Deus' Arco.
Wounded Ronin
I wonder if the guys who wrote the Companion realized that the precise sytnax they use would be dissected as if it were a legal document.

If I ever write a sourcebook I'd have it checked out before publication by a guy I know who is both a gamer and a lawyer to make sure that everything I decree cannot be misinterpreted.
toturi
QUOTE (Ceres)
Within Deus' Arco.

Not if this was said by a shaman with Hidden Life from his Freed Ally Spirit.
Kagetenshi
That still gets a no.

If the person who might be saying no meets the above criteria then sure.

~J
Luke Hardison
"You've seen Predator, right? I've got this idea for an orc pc that hangs to the wall, uses rutherium all the time, has a shoulder canon and claws and an extendable polearm and ..."

(Which really wouldn't be that bad if the character concept didn't end with his gear and tactics)

"I'm going to retrieve my dikoted tomahawk that just stuck in that enemy's armor!" (the team said No! on this one - I was all for it. Couldn've lead to a nice ambush, him running blindly after the injured survivor. Suddenly, he realized the downside to 9000 nuyen.gif ammo.)

"No one will notice me driving an anthroform drone down the road like a car, will they?"
(That's technically a 'Yes!' I guess ...)

"Can starting characters have Medium Military Armor?"
"How about Light?"

"Shouldn't AV rounds have more power against ..."

"When Lone Star searched my house, did they happen to miss the HMG in the garage?"

"Can I take the Knowledge Skill Omniscience at a 6, and give away my other points?" (this is the only one that was said playfully)
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
"No one will notice me driving an anthroform drone down the road like a car, will they?"
(That's technically a 'Yes!' I guess ...)

It would be "No!", unless you mean that no one would notice an anthroform car.

You have to watch those negatives. There's nothing worse than someone rules lawyering a poorly worded GM statement.

As for Appitude (combat skill) I'd say that's for one of two situations

1: A game in which the PCs go against a squad of Possessed Regnerating Cyberzombies (hereafter known as PRCs [not to be confused with the People's Republic of China]) at least twice a run.

2: An extremely underpowered character who cannot take normal enhancments due to flaws taken for conceptual reasons.

Examples include a Aptitude (weapon) for completely mundane character with Biorejection. Especially if it is a melee weapon. Or Aptitude (conjuring) for a Psion. Since they can't controll or Banish and can only summon two types of spirits (both fairly weak) by cannon the apptitude has limited usefullness.

In the former situation, the GM should darn well allow it considering the game's power level. In the latter case, the burden of proof should be on the player to show that it is both reasonable for the characer and that it isn't unbalancing.
Club
Agree with above
Sahandrian
QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Ceres @ May 6 2005, 11:09 AM)
Within Deus' Arco.

Not if this was said by a shaman with Hidden Life from his Freed Ally Spirit.

No, it was said by an idiot elf pistol/sword adept who wanted to be Neo. I had a bunch of spider drones (I modelled them after the spider creatures in the "Lost In Space" movie from a few years ago, under a foot wide) burn through the ceiling and attack him. Then I let him make all the rolls he wanted to fight them and otherwise ignored him while GMing for the rest of the party who were trying to figure out how to survive the Bandersnatch they knew was nearby (Epoc refused to help fight it because it was too powerful) and then escape the building.

As for the Aptitude thing, I just limit it to Specializations in most cases, and that tends to balance it enough. Only a couple of people have taken it so far.
mfb
i just get Aptitude in SUT. it's so much more deliciously, horribly broken than weapon/magic/computer.
Kagetenshi
I was about to ask why I didn't think about that, but on further reflection I must have thought about it, and then put the idea away from my mind as too horrible to comprehend…

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb)
i just get Aptitude in SUT. it's so much more deliciously, horribly broken than weapon/magic/computer.

I've had a player ask for this, in combination with the (non-canon) Improved Ability: SUT Adept Power. Can you guess what I said in response? biggrin.gif
Dawnshadow
Aptitude will not help against a Possessed Regenerating Cyberzombie. Dragons barely help against them. Nukes work though.

Then again, the one Sharaloth put us up against was Regenerating Toxic Fire Elemental Possessed Cyberzombie Troll. Named Cert. Cookie if you get the reference.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (mfb @ May 6 2005, 12:42 AM)

BTW, did you know that in SR2 Enhanced Centering (Special Skills) was a 1 pp power?

Hmm.... Special Skills... What's a Special Skill...

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 5 2005, 09:47 PM)
I wonder if the guys who wrote the Companion realized that the precise sytnax they use would be dissected as if it were a legal document.

If I ever write a sourcebook I'd have it checked out before publication by a guy I know who is both a gamer and a lawyer to make sure that everything I decree cannot be misinterpreted.

By now? Yes, yes they should.

The problem is that if you're going to treat it like a legal document, then you're just making it worse because it can be interpreted 12 different ways by 10 different people.

Wait, that's how it is now.
Crimsondude 2.0
you are seeing things...
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Smiley)
...why?

The player had finally realized that being one of six elven night one catgirls in all of Hong Kong was reducing the character's life expectancy. Especially with the Red Dragon Tong looking for her.

Of course, the physical magician offered to eliminate the catgirl's Distinctive Looks much more cheaply. But the elven catgirl didn't want to loan out her katana or go anywhere near the barrel of hair remover.

mfb
QUOTE (Fortune)
I've had a player ask for this, in combination with the (non-canon) Improved Ability: SUT Adept Power. Can you guess what I said in response?

"use Centering: SUT instead."
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Fortune)
I've had a player ask for this, in combination with the (non-canon) Improved Ability: SUT Adept Power. Can you guess what I said in response?

"use Centering: SUT instead."

And I have no problems with that. It's the 'as well as' bit that would be really bad.
Ezra
You know....not to intrude on the fine battle about Aptitude that is going on in here..... but the easiest way I have found to discourage my players from taking Aptitude: Pistols/Shotguns/Sorcery/etc etc... is simply to tell them that they can. And then also tell them that if they have the aptitude, then they can expect that some of my NPC's will also have the edge.

So far....none of them have taken the edge.

Just my 2 nuyen.gif worth.

DocMortand
Heh...Somehow I don't think that would work on my group, frankly.
Tinman
A "No!" I got from my GM the other day...

"Can I base my character on the Hebrew Hammer?"

Shabbat Shalom, mother fuckers! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012