Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OOC] Bug City
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
nick012000
So how many do I kill/wound with my burst firing, Sphynx?
gobogen
Ok, sorry about the misunderstanding with the rocket launcher. Also, Joe doesn't have a pistol but a Remington Rifle. So I'm more confused now then ever. Do I see the man with the rocket launcher this time? Can I shoot him now?
HeySparky
Ah now, Fortune, why'd you go and put Tash in this car?

Well, at least I delivered two deadly guys into near melee combat... :/

And one child.
Fortune
She would have to go with him, and I had the choice of putting him in either car. I figured that he was already standing beside the Hummer, and helped to pack it, so that would probably be the natural choice. Especially as he's only met three of the group, and two of them are in that car.

Besides, I didn't want Mishka to have to run through all that gunfire just to get anywhere near melee range. wink.gif
HeySparky
Any advice from the other folks on where to go from here. I'm thinking of bailing out of the vehicle and slithering under the cars to chop up some ankles? Thoughts?
Fortune
You have a gun and an armored position. Why wouldn't you take advantage of those assets?
HeySparky
Firearms 3...?

Plus, Ana's not really keen on being what everyone is shooting right at.
Fortune
QUOTE (ES_Sparky)
Firearms 3...?

That's probably what they have as well, but they don't have the armored cover your character has. wink.gif

Seriously, there are now enough targets that the Hummer will probably not be the primary one (except maybe for John's hvar wink.gif) for long. In my opinion, giving up decent cover voluntarily and unnecessarily is something that requires a second thought.
Sphynx
Yes Gobogen, you see the guy floating face-up int he air with the rocket launcher hanging from his fingertips. nyahnyah.gif

PS. I'll edit in the morning when I do my next post and change your pistol to a rifle. My bad.
Fortune
Initiative: 6 + 3d6

First action: What do I see/hear?

Perception: 08 01
- Complimentary - Stealth/Alertness: 05 05 04 03 01
- Perceptive Edge: -1 TN

Second Action: Depends on results of the first.
HeySparky
Hey Sphynx, if I want more information before I post something, but I don't want to get mired down by once daily updates (basically slowing observant PCs down), where do I ask you for that stuff? PM? OOC?
Sphynx
Fortune: What are you looking at/for? You see everything described... looking for something specific?

ES: PM is best, OOC is ok as well. I usually only post between 10 and 12 GMT+1 Monday thru Friday.
Fortune
I guess I'm just not picturing the scene vividly enough without a map (hint hint biggrin.gif). I can't even tell if Mishka sees any actual opponents other than the upside-down rocket launching dude. I don't know how far away from him the cars are (behind which he hears the person counting).

I guess what I was trying to do was 'Observe In Detail'.
Sphynx
Well, don't have any maps, however....

Hummer through 2 cars at entrance. 6 men behind the car on the right, 2 men at the door (1 is hovering in the air). All 8 men visible, as they are pointing guns in your general direction and opening fire.
Fortune
That definitely helps. Thanks. smile.gif
nick012000
How many did I wound/kill with my first round of firing?
Sphynx
None
HeySparky
Sphynx, how were you planning to award karma in this game? Like in Earth's Dawn or some other way?
nick012000
QUOTE (Sphynx)
None

None?

How bloody fast was the Humvee moving? It needed to go at least 250 km/hour before I would start taking penalties on my first bursts.

Unless you're throwing us against folks with 8+ of Hardened Armor, or bucketloads of Armor, Body, and Combat Pool, in which case my gun is useless against them, I should have killed a few. Or you're house ruling. I applied all the modifiers listed on sr3 p.153 (Manual Gunnery modifiers table), and on page 112 (Ranged Combat modifiers table). The end TN was 2 for the first shot unless I was going very, very fast, and TN 2 for the second one unless we were going moderately fast.
Sphynx
ES: Yes, I will apply Karma similarly as in Earth's Dawn, however I'll do it per-segment (segment 1 ends when you take the house back over, or move out nyahnyah.gif).

Nick: Situational modifiers gave you a much higher TN. Sitting in a HumVee your Gyro Harnass was more hinderance than help. It's big and bulky and sitting down, it provided 0 help, just got in the way. The only way to shoot was arm-out-the-window (which I gave the benefit of the doubt that you happened to have rolled it down) from a fast moving vehicle while it was conducting a crash test. I took half the Strength modifier for recoil (sitting, not standing braced), and the gun's recoil comps as well as the smartlink into effect. I set the initial TN at 12 and reduced that number and rolled 0 successes.

Nick: In the future, send game-mechanics arguements to me via PM. It ruins the feel when everyone sees that you question my every-single GM decision in regards to mechanics. At least if you PM me, the game doesn't feel like an arguement to everyone else.

Sphynx
Fortune
Nice shooting there Nine! biggrin.gif wink.gif
HeySparky
Thankya. Firearms 3 ladies and gents.

Sphynx, two things.

1) Please do reallocate my dice when I make illegal gaffs.

2) Eric isn't down... I'm pretty sure it was Gnat.

Frater Inominatus
Yeah. I know we all look alike Sphynx, but come on, keep it straight. smile.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Sphynx)
He does look like, if he were given even a split moment to do so, he'd grab the pistol on the ground in his other hand and start shooting.

There is no pistol on the ground. Mishka picked it up. wink.gif
Frater Inominatus
Couple of things for you Sphynx

1) After Eric speaks with his wife, what is the course of events around the arrival of Tony and his men? How did they come to be in the bar? When did the orcs show up? How were they treated etc...?

2) How many of our group expired? How many of Tony's men survived? Those that died are stripped, wrapped in a blanket and burried in the park.

3) Does my Mnemonic enhancer apply to learned spells? It's kind ofr a gray, GM decision area.

4) How will you work an astral quest? a)Send me the results so that I can do a one-post description? b) Post it on the forum like a normal action? c) something else?
Sphynx
1) They chased the bug-men in, guns blazing, Tony and Mario came in and hid the family under blankets when a big crash was heard outside followed by gunfire again.

2) Our group has 2 members in critical. Tony is still alive. Post the rest IC not OOC. nyahnyah.gif

3) Of course not, the ME only applies to skills, it never suggests in any way that it'd help with spells. nyahnyah.gif

4) Case-by-Case.
Sphynx
Please let me know if you want me to post IC. Right now there are some intense moments going on between characters that need resolving to move forward. Ie: I need to run a team-game here. If you want, I can post resolutions, but I don't want to offend the players by having them be 'ok' with others on the team they feel they shouldn't be 'ok' with yet.

This is one of those moments hardest on a board-playing GM, since it can take weeks of RPing to settle things while the game loses momentum. Quick resolution on your part would definitely help... Unless I see objections, I will post tomorrow, and anything not resolved will get resolved for the purpose of getting the story going again.

Sphynx
gobogen
I'll post some kind of summary of the way my character will interact with specific characters. I suggest that we wait a day or two for everyone to do that, maybe? Then you could post according to that....
HeySparky
I think my post stands. She doesn't think she's welcome but wants to come back all the same. I will work towards Team-ness IC of course. But she still wants to get out there and get her family. Do tag along if you wish to go. Or offer advice if you don't.
Fortune
Sorry about my lack of posting. I have been experiencing access problems, and have been offline for the past week.

I'll try to post something IC soon, once I get a caught up a little.

Jus so you (all) know, IC is, and will remain IC. I don't necessarily endorse the actions of my character(s), nor do I take actions or insults directed towards my character(s) personally, and expect the same from others. smile.gif
Frater Inominatus
Are you kidding? This is outstanding! I wish my home games were more like this. Everyone is so worried about 'looking foolish' that they don't step into character. It gets frustrating as a GM when your players won't role play and want to ROLL play. Don't apologize man, keep up the good work!
gobogen
Yes, I'm with Fortune (and also Frater)... it goes without saying that whatever happens IC is not what me as a person would say to/do to/think about other persons. IC stuff is well... in character. Good idea to clarify this, Fortune.
HeySparky
Likewise. smile.gif
Frater Inominatus
Sphynx wants us to RP recovering those families not present. Might I suggest we discuss the what/when/where/how's in the ooc and let one person write up the "official" post IC? I think it is the best way to maintain story integrity. Here's sort of what I had in mind:

My 'contribution' would be something like this...

Eric and his father are talking about what they can do to tighten the security of the fortress. Ed is a retired Chigaco PD officer. Eric has a plan to summon a couple of earth elementals to build a wall from State and Madison out to Michigan Ave., South to Jackson, West back to State, and North back to Madison. Placing openings at the Adams and Monroe streets. I can send the elementals on a remote service and leave them be.

Mike's Pub

He will aslo go on one or more astral quests for spells. I think we'll need them soon.

Ed volunteers to accompany the group to recover the families remaining outside. I had intended for him to perish in some heroic fashion.

Stephanie, sick of living out of a suitcase, starts visiting with the other wives/parents/"non-PCs in an attempt to order things. She is a strong willed woman who despises chaos. She will inventory the food and supplies and set up a meal schedule that maximizes food use. She is a hard-but-fair task master, she brooks no objection in her domain. A "You know your stuff, I know mine, let's each do our jobs" attitude.

So, any thoughts/objection/additions? My vote for 'writer' goes to Sparky. I just like the way he/she(?) writes. Or Lindt, good story telling.

I'd also like some suggestions for spells to quest for. I know I need a new, non-exclusive manabolt spell. Perhaps a stabilize spell as well. What do you all think?
mallet
Well, we should make sure we have made contact with whoever else will be "inside" our wall.

The last thing we want is to be "locked up" with gang members, psycho's, etc... We should also lay down the foundation for some sort of citizens group, governing body or local watch group, with all of the other survivors from the neighbourhood.

Best thing to do would be to pool our resources with any other survivors in the area. Since there will be no way we can guard an area as big as the one Frater wants to make on our own.

Maybe we should think smaller and more secure to start with, then expand out? Just a wall around the bar for now? It would be quicker to make and easer to guard until we recruit more helpers/guards/cannon fodder.

As for family, I have a brother and mother out in the zone. I'd like to have it that we go to my brothers place (My mom was living with him) and find it empty. I have no idea wether they are alive or dead, stuck in the zone or managed to make it out. This leave the door open to rescue missions, searches, hostages, and the like, if Sphynx ever needs a mini-adventure for us. smile.gif

anywho that's my 2 bits.
Frater Inominatus
I agree it is a large area. But if we 'start small' we may have to fight several minor wars to take any territory we may need. I think it better to construct a high hard wall that will keep out 90 percent of the rabble than to only build protection we can positively defend. Better to deal with a few with the resources to get over the wall that hundreds in a house to house fight.

What if we constructed two walls? A large outer wall, something ten meters high and as wide as the street to keep out all but the most determined of intruders. The inner wall would be around the block where the bar is located. It would be more modest but designed with defense in mind, parapets, murderholes, buttresses, etc... A force 6 earth elemental sent on a remote service (to construct two walls, thus and thus, in these areas, and so on)could do the rough work. I can quest for a shape earth spell and work the inner wall to the needed specs.

Your idea of a community governing body was where I was headed as well. As capable as our group might be, we don't stand a chance against any kind of coordinated attack. We need to organize the people in our area, oust any undesireables, and establish a loose governing body. That way we don't have to guard everything ourselves. We pool resources for the 'greater good.'
nick012000
Locke will go with anyone who's going to go pick up family as fire support.

Other than that, he will be spending his time building smart sentry guns from the resources they've looted, and aiding with the defensive preparations.

I hope that that there wall you're building has a gate, Frater. that way we can venture forth to get things once things settle down. Like food. I would also recommend building a (heavily warded) escape tunnel, so that we can escape if things go really south. Also, don't forget using Watcher spirits as astral guards.

And, when he's got the time, Locke will hit on Ana. wink.gif

Frater Inominatus
Ever heard of the 'eye of the needle'? It was a doorway built in the walls around israelite cities. When it got dark the city gates were closed and the only way in was to pass through the eye. It was a small opening, just large enough for a man to pass through. It was built like that so that if someone wanted to attack the city they would have to come in one at a time. Merchants who showed up after the main gates were closed would have to completely unpack their animal so that they could pass through the eye. Hence the 'It is easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than to enter the gates of heaven.' line in the bible. If we space these where our soon to be 'constables' are stationed, we shouldn't have a problem getting in and out.

If we need to move something larger through I can always cast a shape earth spell to let it through.
gobogen
I'm wondering what ressources are to be used for building the wall? Sorry if I missed the part where you say what you plan on using for that but I'm curious.

As for Joe's part in all of this. He would definitely want to help with securing the area and then establishing the neighbourhood watch thing. Eventually, he will be able to teach people who need it how to shoot firearms and such. I'm looking forward for a way to have a well thought lookout spot on the roof of the bar. It would be easy to see everything that goes on on our 'turf' from a high point like that. Of course I would like to see it fortified in some way, and also camouflaged in the best way possible, so that it's hard to tell what the hell it is and what its purpose might be from a distance. Being able for Joe to 'hide' there with a sniper rifle would be an incredible asset in defending our territory.

To summarize, Joe would help with securing the area and "meeting the neightbors", putting up together the neighborhood watch, and somehow building a lookout/sniper spot for observation and retaliation.
Frater Inominatus
Earth Elementals. I can summon them to dredge up stone from the earth and make the wall.

Sphynx,
1. Do you have a problem with us writing in organizing the surrounding locals into a 'body politic?" or do you want us to just stick with our own little group?

2. I am going to summon 2 force six earth elementals. I need to know how many, if any, services I generate. Conjuring 5, will use karma if necessary (generating less than two serivces constitues a necessity). I will post IC when I get the numbers.

3. Do you allow someone to go on an astral quest for 'free' spells? Like a rating 4 quest for a force 4 spell, or is there a minimum karma cost of 1?
Sphynx
1) I don't mind, this is as much your story as mine.

2) In non-combat situations, assume the 'average' rolls.

3) No free spells, ever. nyahnyah.gif
Frater Inominatus
So you don't mind us 'creating' NPCs for the story?

What if the 'average' is something like 0.8?
Sphynx
I don't mind you creating NPCs, but don't go writing their stats down, just their story (like contacts).

Average means round up at 0.5+ or down at <0.5.

Sphynx
Frater Inominatus
Would you guys mind posting names and where abouts of your related NPCs? I would like to add some non-directly related material to the story. I am looking for something I can come back to to add flavor to the story. Here's what I'm looking for

Eric

Present at Mike's
Wife - Stephanie, 33, 5'6", brown hair, brown eyes, Pre-quarantine job: Civil Engineer, Personality: Organizer, perfectionist

Son - Alexander, 7, 3'9", Blonde hair, green eyes, Personality: rambuncious boy, curoius, risk taker

Daughter - Olivia, 9mo., 23", red hair, blue eyes, Personality: Needy infant

Father-In-Law - Ed, 58, 5'9", Brown hair, Brown eyes, Personality: Hard man, has no forgiveness for criminals (now has to live like one and is learning that not everyhting is black and white), Either he likes you or he doesn't, Pre-quarantine job: Retired Chicago PD detective

Not present at Mike's

Mother - Elizabeth, 57, 5'4", Blonde Hair, Blue eyes, Personality: Peace maker, will bake cookies to stop an argument, think Jude Cleaver, Pre-quarantine Job: Retired highschool physics teacher. Current location: (?) Apartment on Franklin and Kinzie.

Mother-In-Law - Laurette, elf, 53, 5'5", Black hair, Brown Eyes, Personality: Social butterfly, Pre-quarantine Job: Solicitor General for the Salvation Army, Current location: (?)

Best friend - Lyle Estaban, elf, 5'10, White hair, pale green eyes, Personality: Cool headed, friendly, "Rock-solid", Pre-quarantine Job: Chicago Bomb squad. Location (?)

This way you can add flavor to the story without having to ask details about individual NPCs. Feel free to use these in your storytelling.
nick012000
Locke's family (in Chicago):
Present at Mike's:
Daughter- Alicia Locke, 9, human, 4'4", blonde hair, blue eyes, Personality: cheerful, optimistic

So wifey's going to help Eric with the design of the inner wall, Frater?
Frater Inominatus
I wrote this for your inspection...

[ Spoiler ]

What do you think? More on the way. Feel free to cut, edit, add to, take away from, etc... when we compile enough we can send it to the IC.
Sphynx
Just an FYI, waiting for the IC post. nyahnyah.gif
HeySparky
That looks great, Eric. Nicely done.
Frater Inominatus
We need to post the recovery of those family members caught 'outside' during the quarantine.

Who has family outside the compound that we are going to recover? I know Ana does and I think Joe does as well. Any 'events' to happen. Eric's father in law is going to die on the return trip, sacrificing himself so the group can get away from a group of gangers. Other than that there isn't much surrounding Eric in that part of the story, except for the arrival of his mother and mother-in-law.

Sparky, Gobogen, Nick012000? One of you want to tackle this part of the story?

Lindt, good to have you back.
Sphynx
18 hours from now I post IC. Game's dying because I'm being patient. nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012