Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: North America Map
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Adarael
The answer for this is actually pretty simple. Seriously.

You remember all those scientific predictions of the 'big one', that would subduct like half of coastal california underwater, or at least the flatlands inland past the coast ranges? They based Escape from LA on it, and Tool did a CD with some songs about it? That's where this idea comes from.

Eventually, Los Angeles-area rocks and San Francisco-area rocks will be neighbors. California won't fall into the ocean, or become an island. But facts like that matter very little when you look at popular books, movies, et cetera, because that little urban legend is taken for truth nine times out of ten.

I think y'all are looking for explanations in the wrong place by looking for coherent answers in science rather than looking for the answer being 'It's a staple trope of science-fiction stories to wreck california with earthquakes, and make it fall into the ocean/become an archipelago.'
Cynic project
QUOTE (hermit)
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 17 2005, 02:30 AM)
Sounds like a good guess for the explanation, hermit.  I wonder what the ~1km tall tsunami did to the rest of the Pacific rim (and how the west coast of North America survived the rebounding tsunami, which would probably be around 100m tall, IIRC).

Think this year's tsunami squared. >_< If the death toll is below 30 million, I'll be deeply disappointed.

I wonder how Hong Kong made it through this. Huge magical barriers? Friendly sea spirits stopping the tsunami? *shrugs*

Oh, and the rebound would wipe all towns off the coasts except for Seattle (that island right before it is finally good for something). But the Hallowieners are washed into the sea. Tough luck, never liked them anyway.

And as the docks are THE meeting area for shadowrunners and they will perish too, I guess that's why we'll all make new chars for SR4. wink.gif

But that explains why MCT is letting Tshimshian down. They gotta head home and pick up the pieces.

If that amount of land fell into the sea,I would want to hear about damage in New York. We are talking about something in the mid teen range on the reqitor scale here. We are talking about something that would be felt in the rockies here. We are walking about a quake that would not leave on bring top of another for large parts of pasfic cost.

A quake that big should cause damge to every costal city in the world. Ot just about all of them.
Adarael
If that amount of land fell into the sea,I would want to hear about damage in New York. We are talking about something in the mid teen range on the reqitor scale here.

To quote the USGS, about the possibility of a 10.5 earthquake:
"Based on our existing knowledge of plate tectonics -- where the Earth's crust is broken into many solid "plates" that typically collide and push under (subduct) or scrape by each other to create the largest earthquakes -- there is not a large enough single crustal plate boundary to create a magnitude 10.5 earthquake... Based on information gathered from the world's largest earthquakes, it would take a rupture 6,000 miles long along a subduction boundary to produce a magnitude 10.5 earthquake. That would be a rupture from the North Pole to the Equator, and that type and size boundary doesn't exist."

Remember that the Richter scale is logarhythmic. Each increase of a whole number in the scale means that the quake of that number has release about 32 times as much energy as a quake with a smaller whole number value. I.E. 5.2 is 32 times more powerful than a 4.2. That means that in comparison to the Ft. Tejon quake of the 1850s, if we assume a richter scale mark of '15' (being the absolute of 'mid-teens'), the quake would release 1,073,741,824 times as much energy as a 9.6 earthquake. I don't think there's any force indigenous to this planet that could release that much energy in one go.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Adarael)
The answer for this is actually pretty simple. Seriously.

You remember all those scientific predictions of the 'big one', that would subduct like half of coastal california underwater, or at least the flatlands inland past the coast ranges? They based Escape from LA on it, and Tool did a CD with some songs about it? That's where this idea comes from.

Eventually, Los Angeles-area rocks and San Francisco-area rocks will be neighbors. California won't fall into the ocean, or become an island. But facts like that matter very little when you look at popular books, movies, et cetera, because that little urban legend is taken for truth nine times out of ten.

I think y'all are looking for explanations in the wrong place by looking for coherent answers in science rather than looking for the answer being 'It's a staple trope of science-fiction stories to wreck california with earthquakes, and make it fall into the ocean/become an archipelago.'

You know, fuck that answer. This makes the NAN books look reasonable. Hell this makes Quicksilver look like a reasonable character. This more of the fuck California with a stick shit, and it is way past old now. I mean, just when you think they are done fucking over California, they do it again. i say get it over with it and nuke it. Just flat out get rid of it. if you are really going to treat it so badly, just kill it.
Adarael
Heh. I agree with you there. It is, in fact, retarded.
Nerbert
Its cheesy and pulpy. A lot like magical injun invaders from canada.
Ellery
If you add up the energy released by all the earthquakes that would happen in the ~10 million year period required to have a shift in the fault by that much (even ignoring that it's in the wrong direction and stuff), you get a single event that measures somewhere between 12 and 13 on the Richter scale. A 12 is about as much energy as you need to run a fault through the entire planet. Of course, thanks to gravity, the planet wouldn't fall in half or anything, but it's a big event.

Anyway, the scientific predictions never, to my knowledge, sounded anything like that--it's not "the big one" that does it, but rather hundreds of thousands of big ones over millions of years. Hollywood makes predictions about the "big one", but they're not well known for their scientific accuracy.
Adarael
The difference between wrecking CA and the NAN is this:
The NAN is somewhat required for the game setting. It's been there since the beginning, and yeah, it's cheesy, yeah, it's dumb, but I could go "That was the past authors... It's required for the setting to make sense." But wrecking CA with an earthquake isn't exactly required (unless the setting is suddenly predicated on Cambria being at the bottom of the pacific), and it's a current violation of sensible things to do with your setting.

But we'll see what the IC rationalization will be. I doubt it'll make scientific sense, but whatever.
Ellery
The most plausible IC explanation I can think of is, "Psychotropic IC made me write it/draw it that way."
Adarael
That's IT! Ellery, you're a genius!

Deus finally found the manifestation of the Deep Resonance in the physical world, right? His intrinsic poly-phase magnetic manifestation (known to you unenlightened as a 'soul)! Then he black IC'd the net-manifestation, causing the physical component to go haywire. As the dual being of matrix/ontology/volition/essence and physical/power/action/continuity is known to the common populace as 'God', it went crazy, it made California fall apart!

So yes, Deus black IC'd god.
mfb
god shouldn't have been dicking around in a system he couldn't handle. trying to run a high red node on a Stone Tablet 0.1a? retard.
Penta
QUOTE (Nerbert)
Its cheesy and pulpy. A lot like magical injun invaders from canada.

But they weren't from Canada. At all.

The Great Ghost Dance War started in freakin Abilene, Kansas, if I recall.
SL James
Abilene, Texas by a Ute.
Cynic project
So can anyone really tell me why they felt the need to fuck California up more?
SL James
Because they can.
Wireknight
What happened to the Ute nation? I looked over that, and I could have sworn something was missing. That missing thing is Ute. Is the streamlining process being applied to number of nations, now, too? All those damned Native American Nations were hard to keep track of. I have to think less now that there are fewer.

Hopefully, by SR5, they will merge all global nations into one and call it Shadowrunia, ruled by great dragons from an orbital astral space-platform with orichalcum nuclear cannons.
Fizzygoo
The way the Ute nation had been going since the beginning (save SLC) and the increase of the general population's anger towards those in power detailed in SoNA, coupled with the emergance of PCC's seemingly expansionist policy and a nice 5 to 6 years for Ute's situation to get progressively worse and just about anything's possible; from a "friendly" merging (like the USA and Canada) to all out war between Ute and PCC. Either way, Aztlan probably would not like it, no matter how the "deal" was done and so you just might get some kind of conflict biggrin.gif , which could develop into a very large magical conflict with the LA basin as the center of it. (All just fun speculation of course). Of course, nothing "real-world-natural" could cause what appears to have happened on that map in just 5 to 6 years. Unless you consider larger meteors "real-world-natural" but even then, something that big would ruin a lot of life around the world and make things unhappy and not-so-nice.
blakkie
QUOTE (Adarael @ Aug 17 2005, 03:52 PM)
That's IT! Ellery, you're a genius!

Deus finally found the manifestation of the Deep Resonance in the physical world, right? His intrinsic poly-phase magnetic manifestation (known to you unenlightened as a 'soul)! Then he black IC'd the net-manifestation, causing the physical component to go haywire. As the dual being of matrix/ontology/volition/essence and physical/power/action/continuity is known to the common populace as 'God', it went crazy, it made California fall apart!

So yes, Deus black IC'd god.

*palm slap* You know the System Failure cover? We've been making the incorrect assumption that is a picture from inside the Matrix. In fact it is LA in the meat world. Deus' managed to set up his happy-fun lab again, this time using it to develop a paranatural silver tree that eats a better part of the SoCal coastal region. wink.gif
hermit
Put simply, I think one downside of the timeline shift is that we are missing the majority of the conflict between the CAS and Aztlan, something I was -extremely- interested in seeing play out. I was (and am) liking the fact that Shadowrun is "expanding," focusing more on N. America and the world than it was early on.. and put bluntly, the CAS is my favorite country in North America ATM.

Not to be too much of a dick but FanPro Germany pronounced a campaign that bridges the 5-year-gap a while ago (together with the SR encyclopedia).

Maybe there could be a fan translation? The official German forum is doing that with Bug City right now, so I guess it's not too much against company polic. Well, maybe they will at least consider selling the finished product as a PDF. It's not like it'd ciost them anything to do that. *shrugs*
Sharaloth
Hmm, California dropped into the sea? Well, I'm pretty sure that's completely impossible without screwing the rest of the continent horribly as well. But you know what? If it's good enough for the DC universe's smartest man as played by Gene Hackman, then it's good enough for me.

I just hope if Winternight was responsible, they weren't in it for the real estate value.
Critias
Well, at least the disappearance of California gives me a good way to kill off every fucking one of my characters, ever, and wash my hands of Shadowrun. I'll say they were all vacationing there when the Mermen Of Doom came and took the state back to their Evil Aquatic Lair and made gifts of the air breathers to their Many Tentacled Whore Queen!
Sharaloth
Defacing California is enough to get you to quit the game? Gee, I'm sorry if Shadowrun isn't fun for you, but what the hell does that have to with anything? If it happened in the game then it happened in the game, houserule it out of existance if you must. I think there's an 'alternate universe' thread in the main SR forum where you can post your changes for all to see as well.
blakkie
QUOTE (Critias)
Well, at least the disappearance of California gives me a good way to kill off every fucking one of my characters, ever, and wash my hands of Shadowrun. I'll say they were all vacationing there when the Mermen Of Doom came and took the state back to their Evil Aquatic Lair and made gifts of the air breathers to their Many Tentacled Whore Queen!

Or you could just go away.....mad. cyber.gif
Cynic project
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
Defacing California is enough to get you to quit the game? Gee, I'm sorry if Shadowrun isn't fun for you, but what the hell does that have to with anything? If it happened in the game then it happened in the game, houserule it out of existance if you must. I think there's an 'alternate universe' thread in the main SR forum where you can post your changes for all to see as well.

Maybe I want to play in a canon world? Maybe because it is an uneeded kick in the balls to add to the whole list of kicks in the balls that California has gotten? Maybe because it that happened the whole PaC Rim would be in chaos for years to come? Maybe because it would never happen? Maybe because it makes less sence than any other thing that shadowrun has done. It is less based on facts than say the awakening? Yes, the magic coming back to the world is more likely to happen than that. At least if any major city in the pac rim aren't still half leveled in 70.
mfb
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
Defacing California is enough to get you to quit the game?

re-read, this time paying attention to what he actually said. there are lots of reasons why Critias is losing interest in SR. the destruction of California is one of those reasons, and it's one that (handily!) can be used to kill his characters and make a clean break.
Ellery
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
Hmm, California dropped into the sea? Well, I'm pretty sure that's completely impossible without screwing the rest of the continent horribly as well. But you know what? If it's good enough for the DC universe's smartest man as played by Gene Hackman, then it's good enough for me.

I just hope if Winternight was responsible, they weren't in it for the real estate value.

I'm not sure I trust Mario Puzo and Richard Donner as much as DC's smartest man in the world.
Sharaloth
and how is that in any way relevant? So he's going to kill off his characters and never ever play SR again. Why? Why bother going through the motions? He's not playing the game, it doesn't matter if the characters are alive or dead. If Critias is losing interest in SR, fine, as I said I'm sorry if it's not fun for him. It's fun for me, and my friends. We have a grand old time with it, regardless of the idiocy of the metaplot and world.

And to Cynic Project: You wanna play in canon SR world? Great! But if you want to do that you're going to have to accept that someone (or several someones) over at first FASA then FanPro has it in REALLY bad for California. They just want that state to suffer, for whatever reason, and they are in a position where they can influence a fantasy/sci-fi game world to carry out their ludicrous hatred-drived destruction schemes. Also: Highly improbable /= impossible. The west end of California could indeed, in the real world, do what it has apparently done in SR. The odds are so high against it I won't bother even pulling a wildly huge figure out of nowhere for it, because I'd probably be playing it liberal. Magic 'coming back to the world' runs about even with that in terms of odds, if not worse, since it presupposes some well and truly deniable things about this world of ours. None of this matters, because we're talking about a game where shit like this HAPPENS. Magic does come 'back', Dragons walk the earth, synthetic limbs are 'magically' powered by nervous system energy wholly insufficient to the task, California gets raped almost as bad as Germany, and if you're a full-conversion borg who just HAS to have that little device that plays theme music in your head, then it takes a massive magical ritual that is sure to kill you in a few years at most or die the moment the thing is switched on, instead of just having the damn thing installed and never worrying about being without dramatic emphasis again.

This. This isn't the worst thing they've done. It's just the latest one thrown on top of the pile so you can see it better.
Cynic project
It is not that this what happened to Califonia so much as what didn't happen to the rest of the world.

And in case you didn't notice every world power got broken up, well save "Japan".... Hermny didn't get anyworse than say USA or China.
Ellery
QUOTE (Sharaloth)
The west end of California could indeed, in the real world, do what it has apparently done in SR
You have a strange usage of the word "could".

QUOTE (Sharaloth)
Magic 'coming back to the world' runs about even with that in terms of odds, if not worse, since it presupposes some well and truly deniable things about this world of ours. None of this matters, because we're talking about a game where shit like this HAPPENS.
Apparently it does, but that doesn't make it a good idea. Whoever is the author of that section had better have gotten as much milage out of those geological changes as the setting got out of the Awakening in order to justify it. The Awakening provided the basis for the entire unique theme of the game--near future cyberpunk with magic--it's a defining characteristic, and one that can be developed to craft an interesting, internally mostly self-consistent world that looks, acts, and feels a lot like ours but with twists that make it fun to play in.

If they've managed to do something equally profound with the geological changes in CA, then the author(s) will instantly become my very own personal literary hero(es).

If, instead, they've blithely wiped out massive amounts of geography because it seemed cool at the time, then I think the action was exceedingly stupid, and a tremendous waste of an event that was more spectacular than anything that has happened on the entire planet since the KT event (that wiped out the dinosaurs).

Magic coming back to the world has profound implications on the geopolitical structure of SR. Fine. What do you suppose the geopolitical implications of massive geological change like that would be? Do you suppose anyone would want to live within a hundred miles of a fault? Who do you think would seek to use this kind of overwhelming power that dwarfs nuclear weapons to the same degree as a nuclear weapon dwarfs a grenade? In a terrorized, post-apocalyptic world, sure, this could be helpful. For SR? I don't think so.

Now, GMs and players (especially those who know anything about earthquakes, mountains, how big a mile is, how to read a map scale bar, and so on) can just look down there on the map, shake their heads, roll their eyes, and pretend it never happened. Or they can accept that in SR, anything is possible--and will eventually happen for no good reason, and take bets on how long it will be before someone destroys the moon.
Sabosect
My group already has a moon deathpool for SR. So far, most of them think it's going to happen with the first major catastrophy supplement.
Critias
QUOTE (Sharaloth @ Aug 18 2005, 05:41 PM)
Defacing California is enough to get you to quit the game?

No, it's not. It's just a way for me to bring some closure to the 13+ year recently-abusive relationship I might be getting out of soon. Do a forum search for "Critias" and maybe you'll notice a recent overwhelming sense of despair, anger, and cynicism in all my posts, ever, in the SR4 forum. Or, better yet, don't do the forum search and just take my fucking word for it.

Or you could just go away.....mad.

Oh, and Blakkie? Do us all a favor and shut up. Then pretend I'm a line developer, and get back to work rooting around in my feces for yummy, yummy, peanuts (while paying me cash money for the priviledge and praising my genius all at the same time).

Because, well, that's what's being done to us, and you're one of the people that's just eager to get right down to it. One of the greatest RPGs ever is being turned into a steaming pile of Taco Bell bean burrito caused shit, and all the fans are being left to dig around in it to try and salvage something playable out of the mess with house rules, blinders, and love for the game. The system's getting fucked, the cover's getting fucked, the planet itself is getting fucked, our intelligence as fans is being repeatedly insulted, and they're not even doing it according to their own promised release schedule.

It's crap. And you're singing praises to it all the while, like some fawning fucking court jester. Keep licking, Blakkie. Maybe they'll give you a free copy for being a good little fanboy.
Sharaloth
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 18 2005, 08:31 PM)
You have a strange usage of the word "could".

I direct you to the sentance right after that one, the one where I state my opinion of the odds against it happening. 'Could' is used in its absolute and correct sense.

Whether or not this stuff is a good idea is irrelevant in the extreme. General consensus is that SURGE was not a good idea. It exists in SR regardless.

The massive geological changes to a section of the California Free State are stunning and mind-boggling, but not really that important. People in New York'll hear about it (and quite possibly hear it happening several hours after it happens), but really, it's just some tragedy on the other end of the continent. People in Seattle will be holding on to things and screaming with fear every time someone breathes hard until the friendly Gov't people say that it was a one-time freak occurence, which will not happen again in anyone's lifetime, be they Ork, Elf or Dragon. People on the other side of the two big oceans will have even less of a connection to it. Life will go on, and it'll be in the history books and talked about on those science-trids that examine how disasters happen, but other than that it'll fade within a few years from earthshattering event to 'well, at least the earthquake monitoring stations have more funding now'. That's what happens. That's what keeping it realistic would be like. People respond to natural disasters, even on this scale, with short-term reactions before settling back in. Geopolitically, you'd see some massive sympathy outpouring, many politicians trying to hijack the tragedy for their own purposes, and then it'll fade into the background. The people living in California won't forget for hundreds of years, but the rest of the world really couldn't care less.

If this is the work of a magically-supercharged nuke, then yeah, you're going to see some national security crackdowns that make the US today look like Libertyville, where everybody's nice and no one gets oppressed at all. But, hey, that's actually par for the course in SR. If you're not going fascist, then you just don't have the money to keep it up for more than a year or two.

Now I don't like that they blew up California. I thought the place was fine as it was, horribly disfunctional and barely a country, but fine for SR purposes. Now it looks like Galactus took a big bite out of the place before Ryan Mercury could get there to scare him off. Stupid and annoying, but it's canon Shadowrun. Do with it as you will.
mfb
do you understand that the amount of spilloff energy from any event big enough to break California the wrong way would actually level New York? would, point of fact, bring a sudden and violent end to most, if not all, life on the planet?
Raskolnikov
It all went directly down mfb. The other side of the earth ruptured like a pimple, this way they don't have to write about Asia again.
Sharaloth
yeah but it didn't, did it? This ground has been tread over before in this thread, and quite simply whatever munched on California didn't take out the rest of human civilization with it. Whatever reason they will have for this will be inadequate by default to the quasi-intellectuals who like to analyze these things, but in the SR world that's the way things went.
Ellery
So, Sharaloth, what's your bet on when the moon is destroyed?
Nerbert
It just seems wildly hypocritical to me that some pseudo scientific gibber gabber is suitable game background information, and some is just completely unacceptable. Where's the line for what pseudo scientific gibber gabber is acceptable? Is there a comittee somewhere that rules that magical humanoids who aren't human is scientifically acceptable, but that the displacement of the most commonly, in all of science fiction canon, displaced bit of landmass in the world is just not acceptable at all?
Raskolnikov
Hey, Ellery, you can wax-intellectual with your pedantic theories about the moon not being destroyed, but that's how it happened in SR. Deal with it.
Ellery
It makes a big difference if the world is supposed to make sense vs. be crazy mishmash. It makes a big difference if you have a sense of scale regarding the physical world.

For example, should a flea be able to throw a person halfway across a city? If they could, would you just shrug and accept it: "Hey, it's cool, that's SR."
Nerbert
I would accept it fine if they had a sensical explanation for it. But the reality is that "sensical" is open to interpretation. I would accept a literary, thematically appropriate reason that made very little scientific sense sooner then I would accept a scientific reason that was divergent from the themes and literary value of the Shadowrun universe. Personally I think California sinking into the ocean is a perfectly fine literary tool to use.

Shadowrun is not a game of scientific accuracy, and it never has been and it was never intended to be.
Ellery
I'll accept the CA thing if they have a sensical explanation for it.

Will you settle for "It's magic!"?
mfb
the line is admittedly not clearly-drawn. but an event that would otherwise destroy the planet is definitely on the wrong side of it. that's like saying "hell, you shoplifted before, why are you so upset about a little murder?"
Nerbert
I would not settle for the words "Its magic.", no.
QUOTE (mfb)
the line is admittedly not clearly-drawn. but an even that would otherwise destroy the planet is definitely on the wrong side of it.

Why? Can you articulate why its "on the wrong side"? Or is it just personal bias?
mfb
because it's too big to ignore. smaller events have lesser potential impact (literally, in this case), and are therefore easier to turn a blind eye to because their consequences are lesser. i have a bias, yes: i am anti-being-punched-in-the-face-with-fallacies.
Ellery
How about "The comet did it, it's magic!"
Nerbert
Why is AI small enough to "ignore"? Why is AI-creating-humans-with-the-ability-to-access-the-internet-with-their-brains small enough to ignore? I genuinely do not understand. To me, its all just equivilent to pseudo-scientific gibber gabber for the sake of an interesting, dynamic game world.
mfb
because AI is theoretically possible, and people who perform amazing feats of mental ability already exist. the step from "there are hundreds, if not thousands, of projects searching for AI" to "hey, someone made AI" isn't exactly a fantastic leap. and otaku are just savants writ large. or, if it doesn't make your skin crawl, you could accept that otaku are magic. personally, i detest it, but that seems to be the way SR is going.
Raskolnikov
Speaking of the way things are going....

The major point is Shadowrun used to be the near-future cyberpunk distopia crossed with magic. Magic had to exist in a world of clinical details, gritty constraints, and technology had to coexist with fantastic elements of will.

One of the defining characteristics was that the sociological results of the Enlightening, the Industrial Revolution, the Information Age were well in place, then magic shows up. Magic had to give ground on wonder and science had to give ground on have 100% of the answers. The fantastic being constrained to realism was interesting.

If I want literary devices normally reserved for play-ground pretend adventure ("cause I say so!") there are dozen of superior mechanical systems to use.
Nerbert
QUOTE (mfb)
because AI is theoretically possible, and people who perform amazing feats of mental ability already exist. the step from "there are hundreds, if not thousands, of projects searching for AI" to "hey, someone made AI" isn't exactly a fantastic leap. and otaku are just savants writ large. or, if it doesn't make your skin crawl, you could accept that otaku are magic. personally, i detest it, but that seems to be the way SR is going.

And do you know what you just said? Pseudo scientific gibber gabber. Sure, AI is theoretically possible. Do you know whats not? A comet causing magical outbreaks of nonsense. Only apparently its acceptable because its part of the "cycle of magic" which just does away completely with the pseudo science and goes straight to the gibber gabber.
QUOTE (Raskolnikov)
If I want literary devices normally reserved for play-ground pretend adventure ("cause I say so!") there are dozen of superior mechanical systems to use.

How do you know there's not an explanation that fits in with what's already been established? As far as I can tell no one has even bothered to explore any possibilities except "WHATEVER HAPPENS CAUSES THE WORLD TO BLOW UP!!!!!"
Ellery
QUOTE (Nerbert)
To me, its all just equivilent to pseudo-scientific gibber gabber for the sake of an interesting, dynamic game world.
Okay, so you don't know much about science, and can't distinguish possible future developments from utter absurdity--we get the picture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012