Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: North America Map
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Nerbert
Drop bears. Their hideous origins now revealed.
Sabosect
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the magical regrowth in Ireland. A lot of that seems to have converted energy into matter, and very specific matter at that. In any case, the laws of physics were ignored. I wouldn't be surprised if my little scenario there was included with the laws of physics being ignored anyway.

As for Einstein: His Theory of Relativity is wrong. It's been corrected since then, which led to the discovery of antimatter. He was a genius, but that doesn't mean he's always right.

Edit: Look up Paul A. M. Dirac. He's the one that revised it. His version is (E=+ or - mc^2)
SL James
Magic can create matter from nothing. There's a whole group of spells that already reflects that. However, magic cannot AFAIK nullify matte. The closest it's ever come is, like I said, with Dunk shunting a nuclear blast into astral space. A Great Dragon can't nullify energy or matter, and I cannot accept the idea that anything else has the knowledge or just the sheer power to do so with, like Ellery said, an amount of energy that can vaporize the planet.

And it if goes into the Astral, I'd bet the Astral would be just a tad annoyed.
Ellery
Why must the magical regrowth be matter-creation of entire forests instead of acceleration of growth? Also, SR matter "creation" spells can just as easily be explained as matter rearrangement (e.g. creating food is just like move earth, except it moves atoms that could be in food, and assembles them as food).

This doesn't work so well when you're dealing with the volume of material that is the above sea-level land mass of southern California.
Sabosect
Unfortunately, I suspect we'll start seeing signs it can. Magic is the only way they have a snowball's chance in Hell of us accepting it, and whatever they do it pretty much requires a DnD wizard to build a giant Wand of Disintegration in orbit and decide California needs more islands.
beepeearr
We all know why they nuked southern cali. More islands = more piratey goodness. Who cares why? (please note sarcasm).
SL James
QUOTE (Ellery)
Why must the magical regrowth be matter-creation of entire forests instead of acceleration of growth? Also, SR matter "creation" spells can just as easily be explained as matter rearrangement (e.g. creating food is just like move earth, except it moves atoms that could be in food, and assembles them as food).

Oh. Yeah. That, too.
Sabosect
Well, no matter what, we all know they're going to rape physics. I'm just trying to guess how.
SL James
Say what you want about this not coming as a surprise, but the sheer scope of their raping of physics and logic is just... It's wrong.
Jürgen Hubert
I wonder if they found ghost rock on those islands...
Athenor
I wonder if whatever happened there destroyed any of Dunk's posessions. I could've sworn he owned something in that area.

Heh... My personal bet on the Calif. situation?

The ring of fire didn't settle down much after YotC, still causing quite a bit of upheaval.. perhaps even as far as shifting the Pacific plate from being a slip fault to one pulling away from the American plate... This might explain things, as I'm sure the rock falling down could accomplish the devistation we see there, as well as the general lowering of the overall ground height needed for the ocean to invade in without noticably affecting any other coastlines (yay for a lack of global warming, no? =P )...

More likely? Wuxung used whatever the hell they were using those dragon lines for to blow the drek out of Saito. Don't ask me why.. I just like Wuxung, and hated Saito. =P
SL James
Well, then they missed Saito by about 200 miles.

Besides, that's a ton of collateral damage. If this was a sudden event, I'd guess 8-10 million dead, MINIMUM.

But the fault line changing is a pretty significant stretch. If a couple million years of geological events hasn't done it, I doubt the Ring of Fire could have.
mfb
QUOTE (Jürgen Hubert)
I wonder if they found ghost rock on those islands...

hilariously, i'm looking at Deadlands classic as a replacement for SR. it's got magic, it's got tech, and it's got a deep, interesting system. bonus: it's got rules for sixgun duels.
SL James
And it uses a deck of cards.
Ellery
The ring of fire didn't settle down much after YotC, still causing quite a bit of upheaval.. perhaps even as far as shifting the Pacific plate from being a slip fault to one pulling away from the American plate
Um, right, I'm sure the mid-oceanic ridges, which push apart everything else due to a planetary-scale upwelling of magma, are just going to decide to change direction.

And then the location of the plate boundary will just change, and it will only apply well to the south of SF, and to the north of Baja, even though the plate covers the entire Pacific.
Phoniex
was bellingham always the capital of Salish? I have had so many games in seattle and have crossed the border SO many times. But never did a run against/for the next door government, and from the looks of it. The capital is about a 30 minute drive from Seattle. Did my GM and I just miss it, or is this new?
SL James
It's in Shadows of North America.
Athenor
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 17 2005, 02:48 AM)
The ring of fire didn't settle down much after YotC, still causing quite a bit of upheaval.. perhaps even as far as shifting the Pacific plate from being a slip fault to one pulling away from the American plate
Um, right, I'm sure the mid-oceanic ridges, which push apart everything else due to a planetary-scale upwelling of magma, are just going to decide to change direction.

And then the location of the plate boundary will just change, and it will only apply well to the south of SF, and to the north of Baja, even though the plate covers the entire Pacific.

Okay, it's late, I haven't done an iota of research before stepping in here, sue me.

Now I remember why Id idn't post here -- I needed to spend approx. an hour of research on a post before I could make it to avoid being chewed up.

BTW, AFAIK the Pacific plate doesn't have any mid-oceanic plates, but I may be mistaken. I know it has hotspots, but last I checked, the pacific plate isn't pushing into or under the American plate, and the Cascades are created by the interactions of a few other seperate plates.

I do find it strange, however, that it only affected that part of Calif, and how it did it as well. I again think it was caused by the state slipping down in some format, eliminating the lowlands in shallow ocean basins, but that much movement can't happen in 5 years. Weirder still is that without topographical data, we don't know if the rest of the state is affected. If the SF bay is any indication, it didn't... again, weird.

*sighs* God Damn, this is making me wanna get out my old books, or purchase new ones. Bad thoughts for this early in the morning.

Edit: Oh.. and considering that Calif, is the -only- place where the Pacific plate's boundary is above sea level, and the map only shows a relatively small part of the contintent, it really is a bad idea to make any inferences about the state of the tectonic plates.. By me, or by others.
SL James
Why didn't the entire L.A. basin disappear, then?

Why did the water go around downtown? It's all pretty much flat until you get north of the 101 (Try driving up La Cienega on a Friday night to Sunset and you can see how steep the hills suddenly get in your rearview, because you'll be looking at it for a while).
Athenor
QUOTE (SL James)

Why did the water go around downtown? It's all pretty much flat until you get north of the 101.

I can't admit to being an expert on the LA basin, or that part of California. But I do know a few ppl from the area, who are excellent writers... =)

Who knows, though. Geographical uphevals via magic, perhaps a plot involving the marrow, giant sea-walls of immense size and strength, a wrinkling of the land due to shock waves from something bigger, arcologies, nature spirits taking pity on the masses, enormous reclimation efforst from Saito...

This is Shadowrun... we have NO CLUE until we get our hands on the official info.

Personally? I'd leave it alone. I wouldn't mention it in the BBB... then, over the first few sourcebooks, have hints and eyewitness testimony leak into the shadowtalk... slowly, slowly building up anticipation for the real answer... =)

BTW, side note, as I think about it: Not to sound crass.. but one of the first things I wanna learn with this shift forward is how many of the "regulars" have passed on. I know Cap. Chaos was probably getting up there, and I'm certain Fastjack is -- plus, I dunno how he can carry the CPU of his first deck into this Matrix 2.0... and I doubt he can live without that, the way I read it. I know, it sounds morbid and sad.. but with a 5 year jump... it wouldn't surprise me...
mfb
hmm. instead of hitting them with all the pain at once, dish it out piecemeal over time, so they live in constant fear of the next dose. very evil, i like it. you will serve your Sith masters well.
SL James
Fastjack's in. Rob said so at Origins.
Darkness
Yay!
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 17 2005, 03:20 AM)

Why did the water go around downtown? It's all pretty much flat until you get north of the 101 (Try driving up La Cienega on a Friday night to Sunset and you can see how steep the hills suddenly get in your rearview, because you'll be looking at it for a while).

Huh? I thought judging from that map that bottom of the basin did all go under water? It is only the highest stuff to the NW, North, and East, and far away South that didn't become ocean bottom?

Besides with a massive subsidence it isn't nessary that it all happen entirely evenly.
SL James
It doesn't reflect the actual topography of the basin. If it was just sinking, the beach cities and southern Santa Monica would for sure be gone.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 17 2005, 01:31 AM)
The mana storms walking about in Australia don't have enough energy to destroy the planet.  (And I do mean destroy--all atoms in the planet accelerated to past escape velocity, if the explosion was at the proper location.)

Physics enters it when you say "convert matter to energy".  There's this guy called Einstein who had something to say about that at the beginning of the 20th century.

If you go, "Woo, magic!" you still need to do something with the matter, like suck it into the astral and make it disappear, or whatever.

Well there are massive subterranian caverns that were not found by 5th world mundanes. Both from those used to try hide from the 4th world scourge in ED and by dragons (and perhaps more creatures not yet awakened) during the down cycle.

Wasn't LA at the intersection of ley lines? Does that make it a prime candidate for such a underground hidy-hole? Besides making it a candidate for wildly massive magical effects.

An implosion of a huge underground complex(es) in that area, while creating a mind-numbingly huge earthquake as it all dropped, would only jet up whatever air was filling the caverns along with some dust created by these jets of critical speed air. The limited egress of the air would act partially as a shock absorber, somewhat cushioning the fall of the overlying rock.
hermit
Okay, a last attempt at a plausible (in-character plausible) explanation:

Winternight, having read "hammer of god", buries thier awesome nuke weapon focus deep below LA and ignites it, opening the San Andreas Rift and setting off the worst quake in Californian history. Death toll is abysmal, Winternight is happy.

Then, their magical nuke has an effect noone really expected: it generates an astral vortex, diffusing the borders between astral, metaplanes and physical plane. While hordes of spirits suddenly materialise (against their will) and go on a rampage, lots of the physical plane in turn is sucked into the astral, including a lot of magma below California.

We know stuff can be transported off the physical plane (and backwards), those islands that reappeared out of nowhere (the one in the Canal and the one Dunk left fto some corp in YotC, the Island chock-full of Orichalcum, also, Ghostwalker and dragons in general count as 'stuff' too and have am phase where they become purely astral in their life - at least one, as dragon -> Great Dragon transformation remains a mystery). Now, this just happens in an uncontrolles way.

This lack of magma below the SA rift, of course, makes for a very large hole with a vacuum in it. And this hoe does what is expected: it fills. Magma from around flows into it (and rock from above crashes into it), making the entire coast line of California sink by several dozen meters. In the end, only the coastal massif (those islands) remain above in SoCal, the rest is the newly created Winternight Bay. Note: as the magma has different density and fluidity, the sinking doesn't happen homogenously. Hence some cities remain above ocean level (Santa Barbara, SanFran). Also, the main collapse is directly along the SA fault line.

The three cities that are still on the map despite being sunk - San Diego, LA and Tijuana - likely are arcology cities made by Proteus. They make them by the dozen. And how did they get them there so fast? Simple. In Shockwaves, they already made an arcology prototyle that *moves*. They just build a couple of those and send them over.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 17 2005, 03:58 AM)
It doesn't reflect the actual topography of the basin. If it was just sinking, the beach cities and southern Santa Monica would for sure be gone.

How do you know that Santa Monica is still there?

EDIT: This really needs a proper topo map with accuracte elevations.
hermit
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 17 2005, 03:58 AM)

How do you know that Santa Monica is still there?

By SL_James' innate sense of reason and his uncanny ability to understand others and see how they think, naturally. grinbig.gif

He also just knows everything. Just read his posts. He cannot be wrong.
SL James
Because I look at maps of the L.A. basin all of the time. It just comes naturally.
Ellery
You can't just cause the largest geological change in 65 million years and maintain an aura of mystery about it. That's almost as nonsensical as the change taking place in the first place!

To see plate boundaries, check out this image. The jaggy thing at the bottom of the Pacific plate is an oceanic rift (site of seafloor spreading). You can see that it 's pushing upwards on the Pacific plate, which is why the Pacific plate slides against the N. American plate.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 17 2005, 04:11 AM)
Because I look at maps of the L.A. basin all of the time. It just comes naturally.

That map resolution, being of all of NA, isn't so good for judging. But it looks to me like Santa Monica is flat out gone. The 405 is now a sea lane except for the part north of, what Beverly Hills, till somewhere just south of the 101.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 17 2005, 04:17 AM)
You can't just cause the largest geological change in 65 million years and maintain an aura of mystery about it.  That's almost as nonsensical as the change taking place in the first place!

To see plate boundaries, check out this image.  The jaggy thing at the bottom of the Pacific plate is an oceanic rift (site of seafloor spreading).  You can see that it 's pushing upwards on the Pacific plate, which is why the Pacific plate slides against the N. American plate.

The Pacific Plate is, in general terms in the upper northeast, folding down under the North American plate, which is sliding eastward. As i said before Vancouver Island is the North American plate being lifted up over top, and it subsides periodically.

Yes, this is Armageddon level science. But crippy this is SR. You have the giasphere, IEs, dragons, bug spirits, shedim, cyberware, explosive rules, and a metric fuckload of other wierdness to moan about first.
mfb
no, not really. replacing mountain with ocean is pretty high up on the list.
SL James
HAHAHAHAHA

The OC is toast. It somehow went around Long Beach and gobbled up Orange County and the Inland Empire while sparing Santa Monica all the way down to PV and around to Long Beach.

HAHAHAHA

That's hilarious.

That island farthest to the west is Catalina. It follows around the mountains, but it looks like the Inland Empire bought it the most.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 17 2005, 04:31 AM)
no, not really. replacing mountain with ocean is pretty high up on the list.

But i don't see that. From that new coastline in the PDF and the limited current day elevation mapping i've found i see simple subsidence. The old high parts are still the new high parts. Lower Beverly Hills is now under water, the houses in the hills are now ocean front property (though they likely all fell down with the mother of all shaking that occured).

EDIT: And i'm guessing that Rolling Hills has become Rolling Hills Island, right north of the 'D' of San Deigo. EDIT#2: That means that Long Beach is toast, but the rise to the west of it survived.

P.S. Yes, this would likely have killed in the millions.
Ellery
hermit--nice try, except that it takes hundreds or thousands of years for the earth to sink into place (a lot will happen initially to fill a void, but after that it's a very slow process, often with many earthquakes). There are places where the land is still rebounding after the weight from the last ice age was lifted off (!). But that's okay--the astral can just eat away more stuff, and eat from the top down.

The astral gobbling was the one explanation that barely sort of worked--kind of a swap of physical California with a replacement astral California. When the mana comes back down in a few thousand years, we'll get regular physical California back again. I don't really buy mana vortices sweeping away hundreds of cubic miles of rock because if they did so during the peak of the last mana cycle--when presumably such vortices were much more readily formed--and the process wasn't reversed, there'd be a fair few utterly incomprehensible geological formations lying around. Since there's not, you kind of have to store the existing one away and bring it back later.

It's pretty weird and raises all kinds of consistentcy problems (what happens to the people who are there at the time of the change?), but it's the best way I've thought of to put in some backstory to maybe partially justify something that, on the face of it, looks insane.

Added in edit: Also, Google Earth gives elevation values. One can use it to notice where 5000 foot mountains are underwater, while near-sea-level areas within 20 miles or so are still above water. This makes subsidance/earthquake/etc. explanations a lot harder to swallow.
blakkie
Google doesn't give elevations. You can only try infer elevation from it. What it gives best is local terrain elevation changes (by both a derth of development, and the shadows). But following that i'm not seeing a lot in the way of that roughness being underwater. The coastline is generally following up what appear on the satelite photos to be the valleys inland.
otaku mike
There is one possibility that wasn't offered yet: there was much more land underwater after the quakes/planarshift/whatever. But the current shoreline include reclamation works (dikes and stuff). This would explain why some lands that should be underwater (like LA basin) are shown as islands. They would actually be reclaimed land protected by a ring of dikes.
blakkie
QUOTE (otaku mike @ Aug 17 2005, 05:39 AM)
There is one possibility that wasn't offered yet: there was much more land underwater after the quakes/planarshift/whatever. But the current shoreline include reclamation works (dikes and stuff). This would explain why some lands that should be underwater (like LA basin) are shown as islands. They would actually be reclaimed land protected by a ring of dikes.

An interesting idea.....except the LA basin is shown as a fishbowl not an island. smile.gif

There could be instances of diking, though not sure how many people there would be left to care enough to build dikes. It depends on how fast this happened. If it was multi-staged and occured over several hours or days there could be a number of people that made it out.

A better question would be why. Once the seawater covered it that'd be it for agriculture use without a hell of a lot of work to remove the salinity. Building on the hillsides/mountainsides, while not easy, wouldn't be a whole lot harder than dikes...though rock you get from flattening out the hills could be used as landfill to reclaim the land in the shallower waters. But how many people that could afford expensive engineering would want to continue to live overlooking Violent, Sudden Death Central. The background count would be phenomenal.
warrior_allanon
if i remember correctly didnt they build a sizable wall around south central aka Inferno, wouldnt that make a good or at least decent excuse as to why there is still a section called LA, or perhaps they were just marking it for reference
Stormdrake
In Dragons of the sixth world the two asian dragons are fighting over control of the lay lines around the ring of fire. Under the description of the asian dragon in china (forget his name) they mention that the dragon in japans ill use of the lay lines was leading up to a major magical upheaval that the eathquakes that hit japan were just the lead up for. This was of course if things were not fixed. From the map I am making a guess that they are going to say the magical inbalance continued and that California's new look is a further result. Could be way off and don't have DOTSW with me so specifics are out till I get home. AAny one else remember this more clearly?
Stormdrake
Also whats with the gray area over Hetzeby's domain?
Dashifen
Still disputed land betwen the TT and CFS I'd imagine.
Athenor
The more I'm thinking about it, the more I'm interested in what happened with the sentient mer-people in the region (I referred to them as Marrow earlier, but I know that is wrong). I know that between the piracy and toxicity, they weren't exactly happy... But they were also actively working to improve the area.

It would be intruiging, then, if they had something to do with these developments, positively or negatively.
Ellery
Sort of off-topic, Google Earth (earth.google.com) is a great addition for people who like to scout out the geography of an area before setting a run there--it's got the same maps as on maps.google.com (which are themselves very cool), but is zoomable and slightly 3D (topographic information for mountains but not buildings). And it lists coordinates in degree-minutes-seconds style, so you can do things like tell people to check out the ~6000 foot peak at 32deg 51' 44" N , 116deg 23' 22" W that is underwater in 2070.

Unfortunately, it requires a Windows-only program (your regular web browser is not applicable), but I don't imagine that's a problem for most of you. High speed internet is a must.
Stormdrake
Is it me or does the map indicate that Atzlan pushed north sometime in the last six years? Also it shows San Deigo on the map but it looks like it is underwater?
Athenor
QUOTE (Stormdrake)
Is it me or does the map indicate that Atzlan pushed north sometime in the last six years? Also it shows San Deigo on the map but it looks like it is underwater?

If they did push north, it wouldn't surprise me.

Put simply, I think one downside of the timeline shift is that we are missing the majority of the conflict between the CAS and Aztlan, something I was -extremely- interested in seeing play out. I was (and am) liking the fact that Shadowrun is "expanding," focusing more on N. America and the world than it was early on.. and put bluntly, the CAS is my favorite country in North America ATM.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 17 2005, 11:51 AM)
And it lists coordinates in degree-minutes-seconds style, so you can do things like tell people to check out the ~6000 foot peak at 32deg 51' 44" N , 116deg 23' 22" W that is underwater in 2070.

Ok, i can sort see the source of your concern there. At the southern end of the area something very wierd happened. Around LA and north it's fine, but that channel across behind San Deigo is wider at the NW end than an even subsidence accounts for, with the map pennisula not extending as far north as you'd expect it to, and the subsistence not being even at all with farther west at San Deigo and Tijuana. It is like the coast there was at the very edge of the event, and it was much harsher inland. That that area you are talking about has a very pronounced anticline.

EDIT: It could also be an issue with accuracy in drawing of the boundries of the channel, because there is a low area pass coming up through there but the gap as drawn is out more than just a distortion given by that icky projection used.

Though it seems to me that Tijuana might have moved off-center to the SW?

Is there anything special happening in 2065 in that area?
Blacken
You make it sound like special things don't always happen in Tijuana.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012