Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: North America Map
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
sounds to me like the land basicly dropped straight down and the water flowed in on top of it. how much of a tsunami that would create i dont know.

It would create one hell of a destructive sweep eastward followed by an enormous riptide back out to sea. But from there westward i don't think it would be that much. Only "tens of thousands" dead? Exactly how deserted was LA before this happened?
L.D
Couldn't we get tisoz to tell us what heppened?
JBlades
LOL. If those posts are correct, and that is what happened, then ya, they kinda screwed up. I live in Santa Barbara. My house is 2 miles from the beach, and the elevation of my front yard is 2 ft. above sea level. 30 miles north of here, a mountain range meets the ocean, and runs along it for several miles. That map shows me above water and those mountains below it!
Adarael
You live in SB? You don't say...
So do I.

Do I know you?
JBlades
It's possible. I'm Ken. smile.gif
Adarael
HAH! I figured that was you. It's Tyler.
fistandantilus4.0
HA! I'm Ben! I live in.... oh.. never mind....... *walks off*
JBlades
Hah! None for you fistandantilus! nyahnyah.gif
Adarael
Ahh, you can play too! I just don't drink with you at parties, that's all.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (JBlades @ Aug 20 2005, 05:55 AM)
Hah! None for you fistandantilus! nyahnyah.gif

DAMN!

QUOTE (Adarael)
I just don't drink with you at parties, that's all. 

Double DAMN!
Fizzygoo
I live in Santa Barbara. My house is 2 miles from the beach, and the elevation of my front yard is 2 ft. above sea level. 30 miles north of here, a mountain range meets the ocean, and runs along it for several miles. That map shows me above water and those mountains below it!

The maps used by Shadowrun are far from being accurate. I've been drawing the SR nations into Google Earth. First I scan in the SR map and then import it to GE as a transparent overlay, and adjust it until the US state borders match. For most the NAN the borders all match up perfectly, but the cities do not. Especially Flagstaff. So I assume, due to the bad SR maps, that what is not submerged on the 4th ed map is supposed to be the mountains along the coast from SB north to SLO and Atascadero (of course, compared to the Rockies or the Sierra's, I'd call those large hills, but that's my bias showing), along with the Grapvine and hills north and east of San Diego and Orange County.
Talia Invierno
The explanation of an astral vortex sounds good enough to me.
- hermit

One thing no one here has mentioned yet is that astral space over UCLA is seriously fractured (ref. CFS sourcebook).
Ellery
People have already mentioned that the map is wrong, however. So it's not clear to me what needs to be explained in southern CA.
Fizzygoo
I've been avoiding any "spoilers" from those that have bought copies of the new book until I can get my own, with that being said, I was commenting on JBlades post, and that, should the explanation be tsunami/flooding-that-didn't-recede (for what ever reason), then it would be better to go off an elevation map of So. California rather than the SR4 map (where the Santa Barbara mountains would still be there as islands or what not). Or, if a major earthquake-magic-mumbo-jumbo reason is given and "great fissures erupt throughout the lowland areas" then again, to go off an elevation map rather than the SR4 map.

If I have been reading your posts correctly, Ellery, you are arguing that there is nothing in the natural world that could cause maps to be redrawn in such a way as to appear as the SR4 map does without the event causing severe and excessive devastation to many other parts of the globe and that even if magic is included in the explanation (with heavy references to Ghost Dance and Ryumyo's disturbing of the mana/dragon/ley-lines in the Pac-rim levels of power) then it would still excel all other magical phenomena of the past in order to displace/move/destroy that large of an area of the Earth's surface; so much so, that any such explanation would ruin any willing suspension of disbelief for the event.

Even though I have quite enjoyed seeing the map and the thought of So. Cal getting kicked while it's down, this is mainly due to the fact that I lived there and went to high school down there. So, I enjoy this outcome in a morbid way. But as for your stance, Ellery, if the above paragraph is accurate with your view of the situation, then I would agree, and the whole thing does seem to be a "bit" of an overkill and quite silly. Like watching someone you love liking Titanic sad-silly, not like <insert favorite comedy here> silly.
Ellery
Yes, you've accurately summarized my stance.

Well, that, plus I find it morbidly amusing that the text description is nonsensical, what the map shows is nonsensical, and that the text and map don't agree with each other.

Maybe it's California fighting back against those who seek to destroy it? silly.gif
SL James
If California wanted to do that, it'd hire runners to do some spectacularly evil things.
JBlades
QUOTE (SL James)
If California wanted to do that, it'd hire runners to do some spectacularly evil things.

What do you think I'm doin' here? Workin' on my tan? wink.gif
SL James
Well, you're not gutting devs like rainbow trout now, are you?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012