Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So far
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
mmu1
QUOTE (Rolemodel @ Aug 24 2005, 01:15 PM)
No, that's true.  Rolling lots of dice, in SR3, instead made you a God-amoung-Men when presented with minimal challenge.

Like: Who can tie their shoe the fastest, NormalMan#1, or SuperHuman#2?

...And the verdict?  SuperHuman#2 is -remarkably better at tying shoes!-  Incredible!  Now, watch him make scrambled eggs!

You wrote the same thing, somewhat differently worded, two pages back. The implication that highly skilled SR3 characters are better than everyone else only at completely trivial tasks was nonsense then, and is still nonsense now.
Shadow_Prophet
That is perhaps one of the greatest advantages of the new system. The exploits are easier to see.

Its interesting to hear you say this. You, from your ravings before it was even out, atleast to me, have come across as a complete nay sayer. Someone who is going to talk bad about the system regardless. I think I've probably come across as the opposite, someone who's kinda like a yes man.

But there's a reason why I haven't had too much bad to say about it. I've played in games using a extreamly similar dice system. I know how the dynamic of said systems work. 24 dice? 26 dice? Not all that great. Especialy in the world of shadowrun. In the lethality thread, its almost a hinderance, or can be. Oh look you just one shotted two guards in the same round. Guess who the other 3 are going to focus on to probably the exclusion of the rest of the team? The guy who's the biggest threat, Mr. One Trick Pony.

Most of the people here finding these 'exploits' seem to be trying to do it. Trying to find a reason to say sr4 is broken and sucks.

I've heard a few things that I'll come out and say that I'm not sure about. Mainly future advancement. WW with their systems, you have all the nifty powers that soak up experiance so once you get some of your skills and all up theres still a xp sink for you, and other than mages and adepts, and posibly technomancers (don't think theres been a lot of explaining about these guys on the forums yet) you realy don't have that. Theres gear and stuff, but xp expendature wise? meh. theres not a lot to spend it on in my opinion.

But we'll see how that goes.

But to the topic at hand. I think you guys are more of looking for reasons why its bad. The dynamic of the game is different, and I don't think most of you have ever tried a system with a dynamic like this, and thus all these little things seem like exploits.
Rolemodel
Calling it nonsense does not make it so. Please explain to me how a 20 dice character, by merit of the SR3 system, does not -drastically- outperform a 5 dice character in simple tasks? Given that a TN of '4' is provided as an average task?

-RM
Ellery
In tame conditions, in SR4, the person with 20 dice gets four times as many hits as the person with 5 dice.

Just like SR3.

Edit: and they finish extended tasks four times faster, just like in SR3, and so on.
Sabosect
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
You're implying that a system that requires veterans to exploit is a better system? Is that, then, to imply that because we can crunch to our hearts content, we are somehow superior to other gamers? And their lesser intellect should not be mixed with our pure-bred shadowrun?

Or, are you saying that because a flaw is not -immediately- obvious, it is more desirable, because at least on the surface everything looks fine?

Depending on the system? In this case, the flaws themselves have not really changed other than becomming easier to see. Easier to see = easier to use = less ingenuity in the use of.

Does that logically make the flaw any worse or better than before? No. And nor did I say it

I would say that is a strikingly accurate statement, if half of a character's skills are agility based.  I don't think it needs much more of a response than that.

Yeah, there's always that nagging "other possibilities" problem.

Without waking sleeping dragons, I will assure you that someone throwing as many dice as an adept is certainly -not- the problem.  Assuredly not.  On many, many, many, many planes.  And then some.  On top of it.  And a little more than that, even.

-RM

The problem is GMs who cannot handle it or do not have the experience to attempt to handle it. It takes little experience for someone to produce a min/maxed character and a lot of experience to handle the character in game in a way that keeps the game even and fun for everyone, as well as requiring experience with producing characters to recognize min/maxed from non min/maxed. That's part of why my group requires the GM to also be a player in some sessions, something I would recommend for all groups.

However, the real issue is always going to be experience. In an experienced group, you likely are not allowed to use a min/maxed character or there is some way of dealing with them in game that reduces their effectiveness or outright kills them. Or, you get a group that is all min/maxed characters and plays on a different level as a result. What some of us would like to see is a system that allows the GM to gain the experience necessary to deal with the min/maxers before actually having to face them. I'll admit it's probably a pipe dream. However, that doesn't stop us from pointing out the flaws in the system so those GMs can at least be forewarned and watch out for them.
nezumi
RPG's like this its GM vs Players. Each session, the GM's goal should be to defeat the players.

Holy carp!! You play like this? How can the players 'win' against the GM, he's GOD!

The way I see it is RPG's like this are meant to be FUN for EVERYONE. That happens to include the roleplayer AND the rollplayer. Changing rules from under them is NOT FUN for someone who likes doing the math. It'd be like if you were playing a computer poker game, and once you started winning, the computer started drawing all aces. The rules change on you and it's not enjoyable any more.

Thirdly the rules are there as a guide. Yes to arbitrate. But they are not the final say. Look at it this way. You've got a guy with 6 Logic but math 1. Yes he's got the dice to roll to say hey I figgured out this extreamly complex 4 dimensional calculus problem in a min. But does he realy have the skill or background to do that?

This was a very easy example for you to come up with, and I presume you can come up with many, many more. Don't you think that perhaps that's a flaw in the rules? And unless I want to run it pretty much without rules, it would make sense for me to get some FUNCTIONAL rules? Cuz that's more or less how I see it. It's like buying a boat full of holes so you can enjoy plugging them. I'd prefer to spend my time rowing, thank you.

As this also means that the the game is more complex, this is quite a question of taste.

There are many games which are very hard to 'break' but are still quite simple. In fact, generally the simplier the game, the harder it is to break. Tri-stat, for instance, seems quite easy indeed to run, and difficult to break.

Just so people are aware, I am very used to both role and roll players, being a member of both groups. I've had games where I was trying to keep things balanced and players complained they weren't enjoying themselves because I kept hobbling them.

This may sound like the crazy babblings of a mad GM, but some players actually ENJOY tweaking their characters. They like to sit down and do the math behind how best to spend combat pool in different situations. That's what they LIKE about the game. If someone spends two days tweaking his character and shows it to me, assuming he did everything according to the rules, I should be able to rest assured that his character will be reasonably balanced. I don't want to have to bother saying 'make sure you can get your butt whupped by the street sam!' or 'oh, I know this is in the rules, but I have to take it back because the rules are faulty, sorry'. That's ot fun for anyone. Not for me, not for him, not for the group.

Again, good for you that you have players who don't get a kick out of two days tweaking numbers. Seriously, your games must be delightful. But that's not the world I live in, and I want rules that will support my players in being stable, and me in not having to be double checked or house ruled into oblivion.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Ellery)
In tame conditions, in SR4, the person with 20 dice gets four times as many hits as the person with 5 dice.

Just like SR3.

Edit: and they finish extended tasks four times faster, just like in SR3, and so on.

In tame conditions I would hope so. Most of the time the skills people are focusing 20 dice type things into will never be under tame conditions of two people standing in a open field 5 feet apart without moving and taking a single shot at each other.

Afterall, I hope someone who has a phd in physics or math matical sciences can figure out a complicated calculus problem atleast 4 times quicker than me given the same resources and our ideal/tame environments.
mmu1
QUOTE (Rolemodel @ Aug 24 2005, 01:35 PM)
Calling it nonsense does not make it so.  Please explain to me how a 20 dice character, by merit of the SR3 system,  does not -drastically- outperform a 5 dice character in simple tasks?  Given that a TN of '4' is provided as an average task?

-RM

"You wrote the same thing, somewhat differently worded, two pages back. The implication that highly skilled SR3 characters are better than everyone else only at completely trivial tasks was nonsense then, and is still nonsense now."

Reading comprehension... It's a good thing.
Rolemodel
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Depending on the system? In this case, the flaws themselves have not really changed other than becomming easier to see. Easier to see = easier to use = less ingenuity in the use of.

Does that logically make the flaw any worse or better than before? No. And nor did I say it

So, inguinuity in system raping should be rewarded with acceptance? I'm not sure I follow. If -both- scenario's are just as bad, where is, as they say, The Beef?

However, the real issue is always going to be experience. In an experienced group, you likely are not allowed to use a min/maxed character or there is some way of dealing with them in game that reduces their effectiveness or outright kills them.

If the group experience is the issue, then it is inherient with the individuals, and not the system itself, as both have their full share of problems; Different issues exposed at different points of the math curves.

-RM
Crusher Bob
The main difference in the method of the application of penalties. In SR2 and SR3 tactics revolved around managing TN penalties, thus the polulatity of 'extras' the either reduced the TN or increased the TN for the other guy. In SR4, since penalties do not seem to largely effect success I'm not sure what the tactics will be. From the demonstrations a skilled character can 'ignore' penalties that would have provided a 'reasonable defense' in SR3. In SR3, hitting the pistol adept with a flash pack and taking cover esentailly eliminated his ability to damage you. Thus, if you were a character who was not geared for combat, fighting defensively (by taking actions which gave penalties to the other side) was quite effective.

In SR4, what tactics do you employ against the pistol adept that really wants you in the ground? Even after hitting him with the flash pack and taking cover, he still has a reasonable dice pool to shoot at you with. This will lead to an escalation in the combat capabilities of all characters, as it is no longer possible fully eliminate the other side's advantages with tactics.

Against an adept in SR3 throwing say, 14 dice for shooting you, a flash pack and partial cover gave you plenty of 'breathing room'. In SR4, it dosen't seem to help much. If hiding from the pistol adept won't owrk, then your only options are to bury him under the bodies of your dead (something PCs rarely have the option of doing) or to go first and kill him. This esentially more 'dice' to solve the problem, as diceless tactics may no longer be effective.
Sabosect
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Its interesting to hear you say this. You, from your ravings before it was even out, atleast to me, have come across as a complete nay sayer. Someone who is going to talk bad about the system regardless. I think I've probably come across as the opposite, someone who's kinda like a yes man.

I also, prior to those ravings, made a post saying I only had the art to complain about and, in the beginning of those ravings, made a post saying I liked everything except the art. My opinion of the art has changed since then.

You see, I don't just represent my opinion on here. If I did, I wouldn't have anything to say on this forum other than to indicate I like the changes. There are a few areas I have concerns about, but those concerns are also about SR3 and were inheritted by SR4. And, really, those concerns are not anything that cannot be dealt with in a way that leaves the system alone.

My group is a bunch of chickenshits who feel that a single member on this forum is enough. Recently, they've gotten on my bad side because of their words involving SR4 and the undue stress I was put under. Adding to my problems and causing a stress overload (admittedly easy with my system) is not a good way to get someone to be kind in representing your views.

But there's a reason why I haven't had too much bad to say about it.  I've played in games using a extreamly similar dice system.  I know how the dynamic of said systems work.  24 dice?  26 dice?  Not all that great.  Especialy in the world of shadowrun.  In the lethality thread, its almost a hinderance, or can be.  Oh look you just one shotted two guards in the same round.  Guess who the other 3 are going to focus on to probably the exclusion of the rest of the team?  The guy who's the biggest threat, Mr. One Trick Pony.

I always thought that would be the point they would fall back to a more defensive position (and one that is both pitch black and full of cover) and use drones for their main line of attack.

Most of the people here finding these 'exploits' seem to be trying to do it.  Trying to find a reason to say sr4 is broken and sucks.

And, I'll be honest: They've only found one that isn't also in SR3, and that measely one is easily dealt with. With 20 dice, you can get four automatic successes against a Threshhold of 4. However, if there is a -4 mod, suddenly they have to hope to generate a success with the remaining dice. And -4s are amazingly easy to generate if you know what you are doing.

I've heard a few things that I'll come out and say that I'm not sure about.  Mainly future advancement.  WW with their systems, you have all the nifty powers that soak up experiance so once you get some of your skills and all up theres still a xp sink for you, and other than mages and adepts, and posibly technomancers (don't think theres been a lot of explaining about these guys on the forums yet) you realy don't have that.  Theres gear and stuff, but xp expendature wise?  meh. theres not a lot to spend it on in my opinion.

Actually, this is where I think the supplements will come in. If FanPro is smart, they'll provide so many ways to soak up Karma that most groups will never have enough for what they want. A book similar to the Companion is a must.

But to the topic at hand.  I think you guys are more of looking for reasons why its bad.  The dynamic of the game is different, and I don't think most of you have ever tried a system with a dynamic like this, and thus all these little things seem like exploits.

Actually, I have. I used to play V:tM a lot, back before it got too many books to keep track of. That's part of what I like about SR. White Wolf prevented the problems this system has by splitting attributes and skills into two entirely different groups. If FanPro really wanted to use the White Wolf system as a base, why not learn from their experience and copy more of it?
Sabosect
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
So, inguinuity in system raping should be rewarded with acceptance? I'm not sure I follow. If -both- scenario's are just as bad, where is, as they say, The Beef?

The Beef is with the idea that SR4 doesn't require less ingenuity than SR3.

If the group experience is the issue, then it is inherient with the individuals, and not the system itself, as both have their full share of problems; Different issues exposed at different points of the math curves.

-RM

Which would be nice if they were not all in the same equation. No problem with a game is just a singular problem, and no problem with a game ever exists without the people to exploit it. It is the people who exploit it and how much it is bitched about that determines the strength of the problem. If a problem is bitched about enough (like, say, the magic system), it tends to get adjusted with a new edition.
Rolemodel
QUOTE (mmu1)
Reading comprehension... It's a good thing.

So then, I suppose, would be understanding the system that you're supposedly trying to defend. And while you're at it, you'll note that in regards to reading comprehension, there are several keywords you've somehow managed to overlook. It's understandble, but being a generous fellow I'll help you out.

Our 18-dice-throwing-fiend will find that each little clump of 6 dice will return five 'average' successes. That said, he can expect fifteen average net successes on this easy test. Likewise, our 3-dice-throwing-fool will find that he will most likely get 3 successes back when he winds up and chucks his little d6's across the table. When we compare the test results, we find that being highly skilled, in this case, allows for Character A to receive an average of 500% net successes, at worst, compared to Character B.

Ahh. An average of 500% net successes, at worst, compared to Character B, in this example. Right-O, Jolly-Good-Quote.

Our 18-dice-throwing-fiend will have that when he launches all of his dice, they will each have their own little 1/216th of a success associated with it. Skipping around for simplicities sake, we'll note this will land somewhere between 5%-10% of a possibility of success. And likewise, three little 1/216th successes will be counted between 1% and 2%.

Now, observe something like this referenced to the linear curve of applied damage. Two successes to increase a wound level. Two successes to decrease a wound level. An amazingly skilled character will inflict massive amounts of overdamage when compared to the marginally skilled, when the task is simple. When the task is really hard? We've got both character performing pretty close together, and likely both will be completely ineffective.

Ahhh-Sooo. Funny thing, that reading comprehension bit. So, effectively what I said, and must have been glossed over, is that -the most dramatic difference in performance will be noted in the easiest tasks-.

And.

-The least dramatic difference in performance will be noted in the most difficult tasks.-

And.

-Unlike reality, the highly skilled shine, due to this much larger margin of success, when tests are easy, rather than when the real level of human limits are being strained against-.

If you would like, I can highlight, bold, and capitalize all three of those points for you.

Or, if you'd like, we could run a few silly SRIII situations that have cropped up over the years. Like rolling up newspaper, and slaying a troll. Or splattering someone's brain with highly skilled spitballs. I'd even be happy to break it all down, so you don't miss any of it, next time. wink.gif

-RM
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (nezumi)
RPG's like this its GM vs Players. Each session, the GM's goal should be to defeat the players.

Holy carp!! You play like this? How can the players 'win' against the GM, he's GOD!

The way I see it is RPG's like this are meant to be FUN for EVERYONE. That happens to include the roleplayer AND the rollplayer. Changing rules from under them is NOT FUN for someone who likes doing the math. It'd be like if you were playing a computer poker game, and once you started winning, the computer started drawing all aces. The rules change on you and it's not enjoyable any more.

Thirdly the rules are there as a guide. Yes to arbitrate. But they are not the final say. Look at it this way. You've got a guy with 6 Logic but math 1. Yes he's got the dice to roll to say hey I figgured out this extreamly complex 4 dimensional calculus problem in a min. But does he realy have the skill or background to do that?

This was a very easy example for you to come up with, and I presume you can come up with many, many more. Don't you think that perhaps that's a flaw in the rules? And unless I want to run it pretty much without rules, it would make sense for me to get some FUNCTIONAL rules? Cuz that's more or less how I see it. It's like buying a boat full of holes so you can enjoy plugging them. I'd prefer to spend my time rowing, thank you.

Just so people are aware, I am very used to both role and roll players, being a member of both groups. I've had games where I was trying to keep things balanced and players complained they weren't enjoying themselves because I kept hobbling them.

This may sound like the crazy babblings of a mad GM, but some players actually ENJOY tweaking their characters. They like to sit down and do the math behind how best to spend combat pool in different situations. That's what they LIKE about the game. If someone spends two days tweaking his character and shows it to me, assuming he did everything according to the rules, I should be able to rest assured that his character will be reasonably balanced. I don't want to have to bother saying 'make sure you can get your butt whupped by the street sam!' or 'oh, I know this is in the rules, but I have to take it back because the rules are faulty, sorry'. That's ot fun for anyone. Not for me, not for him, not for the group.

Again, good for you that you have players who don't get a kick out of two days tweaking numbers. Seriously, your games must be delightful. But that's not the world I live in, and I want rules that will support my players in being stable, and me in not having to be double checked or house ruled into oblivion.

Yes I play like that. You're automaticaly assuming the worst ofcourse as well and blowing things out of porportion. If you're even a halfway decent GM you know the game is just that a game. Games are there for enjoyment and fun. Is it fun for the players if i throw them constantly at threats high above their level? No. Is it fun if i change the rules so I always win? No. Ofcourse not, and I rather resent the fact that you would imply thats the way I would play my game.

No. I send my players at threats, and puzzles, and situations that they should be able to handle. Everything they encounter for the most part is going to be difficult. There are certainly things they can do to make things cake walks. But I'm not going to plan it to be a cakewalk. Players are going to do things that I don't expect. Thats a given. They're going to do something that breaks my plan. That's a given.

There has only been one time I went for a tpk (total party kill) in my entire time GMing. That was when we started a new SR campaign and they insisted they were powerful enough as starting chars to take on the arcology. Now I didn't get a tpk. Didn't even get close. But they prety much got the hint this wasn't the place for them. To their credit, they did manage to make it up to the mall level from the ork underground entrance into the arc.

The game is about enjoyment. The rules say you can jump x feet + y feet, where y is the number of sux on a athletics test. But said runner goes to make the jump and is going to miss that jump by one foot. Damn looks like that runner who's jumping across those buildings is going to fall to his doom by the rules. You know what? I'm the GM. I know he's going to realy dislike it if his char dies to something so random as this. So you know what? I change the rules he lands, catches onto the edge, and with the help of his friends and himself gets pulled up and can get away. The rules are there to help the game. One of the rules I've seen for the GM in every single rpg book I've ever seen states that the rules are there as a guideline, feel free to ignore or change a rule to suit your story/game.

My players take about a week to twink out their chars. I still have final say. You have no idea how many times, in tweaking my own char out my gm has told me no. But one thing I've learned from him. Don't just say no, work something out, and be polite. He's my best friend, and his favorite phrase is "I'd realy rather you didn't do x, I'm not realy going to stop you from doing it cause the rules don't say you can't, but theres going to be x y and z as repurcutions because theres not a lot you can do to justify having x in city y" ect ect ect. He also if we want to do something cool he'll help us work out how to do it without completely breaking things.

Theres a fine line between enjoyment and allowing abuse. But then again my group is a bit different from some of the others I've seen. Our group typicaly enjoy's a good challenge, a puzzle. We like to be hard pressed. Heck when I actualy play. I know each and every one of my characters will die at some point. Its a given to me. My goal, is to keep then around for as long as possible, and as a player I see the GM's goal as trying to twart me on my way to mine. I have no qualms about loosing a character. This is not to say I don't spend alot of time coming up with the concept, who they are, or whatnot. I spend a great deal of time. Just from playing as much as I have I understand that well every now and then i'm going to loose a char or two.

mmu1
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
(...)

Ahhh-Sooo. Funny thing, that reading comprehension bit. So, effectively what I said, and must have been glossed over, is that -the most dramatic difference in performance will be noted in the easiest tasks-.

And.

-The least dramatic difference in performance will be noted in the most difficult tasks.-

And.

-Unlike reality, the highly skilled shine, due to this much larger margin of success, when tests are easy, rather than when the real level of human limits are being strained against-.

If you would like, I can highlight, bold, and capitalize all three of those points for you.

Or, if you'd like, we could run a few silly SRIII situations that have cropped up over the years. Like rolling up newspaper, and slaying a troll. Or splattering someone's brain with highly skilled spitballs. I'd even be happy to break it all down, so you don't miss any of it, next time. wink.gif

-RM

These so-called "points" of yours have been addressed - well, demolished, really - several pages ago. You've said nothing new since, and your argument was based on completely misrepresenting the facts to begin with.

Glibness and sarcasm are easy - but they're worth shit when theyre the only things you've got. Get back to me when you have an argument based on something other than using a TN of 20 to prove your point and hoping people won't notice the absurdity if you make your post long enough.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Sabosect)
But there's a reason why I haven't had too much bad to say about it.  I've played in games using a extreamly similar dice system.  I know how the dynamic of said systems work.  24 dice?  26 dice?  Not all that great.  Especialy in the world of shadowrun.  In the lethality thread, its almost a hinderance, or can be.  Oh look you just one shotted two guards in the same round.  Guess who the other 3 are going to focus on to probably the exclusion of the rest of the team?  The guy who's the biggest threat, Mr. One Trick Pony.

I always thought that would be the point they would fall back to a more defensive position (and one that is both pitch black and full of cover) and use drones for their main line of attack.

Most of the people here finding these 'exploits' seem to be trying to do it.  Trying to find a reason to say sr4 is broken and sucks.

And, I'll be honest: They've only found one that isn't also in SR3, and that measely one is easily dealt with. With 20 dice, you can get four automatic successes against a Threshhold of 4. However, if there is a -4 mod, suddenly they have to hope to generate a success with the remaining dice. And -4s are amazingly easy to generate if you know what you are doing.

I've heard a few things that I'll come out and say that I'm not sure about.  Mainly future advancement.  WW with their systems, you have all the nifty powers that soak up experiance so once you get some of your skills and all up theres still a xp sink for you, and other than mages and adepts, and posibly technomancers (don't think theres been a lot of explaining about these guys on the forums yet) you realy don't have that.  Theres gear and stuff, but xp expendature wise?  meh. theres not a lot to spend it on in my opinion.

Actually, this is where I think the supplements will come in. If FanPro is smart, they'll provide so many ways to soak up Karma that most groups will never have enough for what they want. A book similar to the Companion is a must.

But to the topic at hand.  I think you guys are more of looking for reasons why its bad.  The dynamic of the game is different, and I don't think most of you have ever tried a system with a dynamic like this, and thus all these little things seem like exploits.

Actually, I have. I used to play V:tM a lot, back before it got too many books to keep track of. That's part of what I like about SR. White Wolf prevented the problems this system has by splitting attributes and skills into two entirely different groups. If FanPro really wanted to use the White Wolf system as a base, why not learn from their experience and copy more of it?

Well to the whole thing of weather or not the 3 guys left standing. I did not say what they would do other than focus on the guy who's the biggest threat. Even if i'm running away from a situation if i can still run and fire i'm going to be sending lead, or even a grenade his way to slow him down till we can regroup and eliminate him/it.

With a pool of 20 dice yes you can burn dice for the automatic success'. Thats a given. All of the examples of this 20 dice stuff has not been in things where threshold realy plays a whole lot into things. Afterall this has all been combat stuff we've been talking about. Threshold doesn't play that much into combat unless you're using the optional rules. *shrugs* If you're talking on breaking and entering or cracking a computer code ect. Thats a different story and it might not work out the same way. I'm not sure.

to the third thing there, yes we'll see how it goes, hopefully they'll give us a few karma sink type things for the mundanes.

Ok last point you made. V:tM is nothing like the current dice system that white wolf is using. The old V:tM had a tn that shifted, max of 10. The system was broken and abused. They changed the system when they put out exalted. Every roll is skill + stat. They further improved on this system when the new WoD came out.

From the looks of things thats exactly what FanPro has done. Taken that system that white wolf has taken the time to work out and remolded it for the shadowrun universe with a few minor changes. So if you haven't played either exalted, or the new WoD, your experiances from the old WoD and V:tM and such won't realy help you as they're outdated and don't play out anything like the current system.
Sabosect
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Well to the whole thing of weather or not the 3 guys left standing. I did not say what they would do other than focus on the guy who's the biggest threat. Even if i'm running away from a situation if i can still run and fire i'm going to be sending lead, or even a grenade his way to slow him down till we can regroup and eliminate him/it.

With a pool of 20 dice yes you can burn dice for the automatic success'. Thats a given. All of the examples of this 20 dice stuff has not been in things where threshold realy plays a whole lot into things. Afterall this has all been combat stuff we've been talking about. Threshold doesn't play that much into combat unless you're using the optional rules. *shrugs* If you're talking on breaking and entering or cracking a computer code ect. Thats a different story and it might not work out the same way. I'm not sure.

to the third thing there, yes we'll see how it goes, hopefully they'll give us a few karma sink type things for the mundanes.

Ok last point you made. V:tM is nothing like the current dice system that white wolf is using. The old V:tM had a tn that shifted, max of 10. The system was broken and abused. They changed the system when they put out exalted. Every roll is skill + stat. They further improved on this system when the new WoD came out.

From the looks of things thats exactly what FanPro has done. Taken that system that white wolf has taken the time to work out and remolded it for the shadowrun universe with a few minor changes. So if you haven't played either exalted, or the new WoD, your experiances from the old WoD and V:tM and such won't realy help you as they're outdated and don't play out anything like the current system.

I am so incredibly lazy today. So, I'm numbering the sections the same way you did.

1) Fair enough. Personally, I would prefer them to shout a run away command and act like they are running away. Half the time in my games, they are. The other half, they are not. The players are never really sure which is which.

2) I cannot continue this portion due to insufficient information.

3) Agreed.

4) Meh. This is what happens when you don't keep up with games. I knew they changed the system, but apparently my info was off on what areas.
Nerbert
The new WoD dice system is a lot like SR4, which is why I'm so skeptical of Ellery's conclusions. If the things he's saying are such huge game breaking problems with the core dice system, you think they would have broken my game by now.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (Nerbert)
The new WoD dice system is a lot like SR4, which is why I'm so skeptical of Ellery's conclusions. If the things he's saying are such huge game breaking problems with the core dice system, you think they would have broken my game by now.

Agreed.

As for you Sabosect....

As stated in another thread, I run my guards differently depending on the exact situation, how trained they are ect. Sometimes they run, sometimes they hold their ground. The highly trained professional, career military man, who's been told to defend a position with his life, isn't normaly going to fall back right away. Ect. All realy depends on the situation.
Sabosect
It does depend in my games as well. I just have certain tactics I favor, and certain surprises I like to throw.
Shadow
Is it me or do the new starting level characters suck? I wouldn't even consider them novices. More like the skill level of someone who has had some basic training and thats it.

So shadowrun isn't about highly trained pro's anymore? It's about poorly trained neophytes who are just starting in the shadows?
Nerbert
QUOTE (Shadow)
Is it me or do the new starting level characters suck? I wouldn't even consider them novices. More like the skill level of someone who has had some basic training and thats it.

So shadowrun isn't about highly trained pro's anymore? It's about poorly trained neophytes who are just starting in the shadows?

Actually no, its been well established that you're either that, or a god among men, one touched by the gods with infinte power.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Shadow)

Perhaps it is about people living on the sinless streets trying to get by? (That's how I have done my campaign in sr3 at least, and we had to tone down a ton)
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
it is no longer possible fully eliminate the other side's advantages with tactics.

diceless tactics may no longer be effective.

And this I have a serious problem with.
Rolemodel
These so-called "points" of yours have been addressed - well, demolished, really - several pages ago. You've said nothing new since, and your argument was based on completely misrepresenting the facts to begin with.

Look. The point is fairly clear, and yet you've failed to address it in any way other than to say, "That's nonsense!" To support this theory of nonsense, you insist that the game "Works Better!" inside of a different TN range. Fine, I understand and accept that. SR4, then, can obviously be said to work better in some situations over others.

The point that you are missing entirely, then, is that -yes, there is a tendancy of the dice to display this curve in SR3, and no, it is not a system devoid of mathematical shortcomings-.

Glibness and sarcasm are easy - but they're worth shit when theyre the only things you've got. Get back to me when you have an argument based on something other than using a TN of 20 to prove your point and hoping people won't notice the absurdity if you make your post long enough.

Certainly. I will be glad to introduce additional shortcomings into the system, after you address the fairly clear cut issue already presented in any means aside from blatant unfounded dismissal. That's hardly the point, however. The -point- is that in -both- systems compensation is made to accomodate their shortcomings. And it is laughably niave to point out one, and then dig in to defend the other without accurately identifying them both.

-RM
Rolemodel
QUOTE (mmu1)
Get back to me when you have an argument based on something other than using a TN of 20 to prove your point.

You know, after that initial response, this line here lingered with me, and after a few minutes of ample sidetracking myself, I couldn't help but to come back with it.

Why would I 'get back to you' when I have an argument based on something other than using a TN 20 (And, consequentially a TN 2) to prove my point, when, you know, a TN 20 (Don't forget the 2!) is such a great example?

Let me put it into effect for you.

Fact: Damage is staged up wound levels, in increments of 2 successes.

Point: At a TN of 2, 4 skill dice will most likely change L--> S prior to being staged back down by the 'defender'. At a TN of 2, 20 skill dice will most likely change L --> D+++.

Conclusion: I could add more '+s' for emphasis, but the fact is that our system refects high skill having the biggest impact in simple scenarios. But that's a direct repurcussion with basing linear effect off exponential probability. Why is this so hard to swallow? Because it's an extreme example that demonstrates the degeneration of the system?

Of course it is! But what, then, are these examples thrown back the other way to include 21+ dice wielding SuperAdepts? Extreme examples? Exactly!

How can you show so much obvious bias to so hungryly gobble up one, and then so distastefully -overlook- the other? If it boils down to personal preference, then fine, naturally you are imbued with the ability to formulate your own preferences, and opinions, even throwing out facts.

But then, that heavily discredits any neutrality you may profess to have, when evaluating a presented number system, and commenting upon it.

-RM
mmu1
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
Look. The point is fairly clear, and yet you've failed to address it in any way other than to say, "That's nonsense!" To support this theory of nonsense, you insist that the game "Works Better!" inside of a different TN range. Fine, I understand and accept that. SR4, then, can obviously be said to work better in some situations over others.

The point that you are missing entirely, then, is that -yes, there is a tendancy of the dice to display this curve in SR3, and no, it is not a system devoid of mathematical shortcomings-.

Certainly. I will be glad to introduce additional shortcomings into the system, after you address the fairly clear cut issue already presented in any means aside from blatant unfounded dismissal. That's hardly the point, however. The -point- is that in -both- systems compensation is made to accomodate their shortcomings. And it is laughably niave to point out one, and then dig in to defend the other without accurately identifying them both.

-RM

What blatant dismissal? I stated my position clearly - and provided proof for it.

You ignored it, and re-posted the same lies and misrepresentations a couple of pages later. When called on it, you declined to provide a reasoned argument, and decided instead to put words in my mouth and pretend I failed to explain my position.
Ellery
Rolemodel claims that in SR3, someone with a large number of dice only really shines when the task is easy. Let's explore this intriguing idea!

Let's look at performance with someone with 20 dice to throw and someone else with only 4. Mr. Expert, with 20 dice, should be about five times better than Mr. Lame, with four, since Mr. Expert has five times as many dice.

If they both have TN4, let's say, Mr. Expert will have 10 successes on average and Mr. Lame will have 2 successes on average. This is a 5-to-1 advantage in terms of number of successes for someone with five times the skill.

If they both have TN14, Mr. Expert will have 0.46 successes on average and Mr. Lame will have 0.09 successes on average. Look, it's still a 5-to-1 advantage!

Okay, but maybe these successes mean different things. How many boxes of damage, on average, will the two do in each case?

If they both have TN14, and the shot isn't resisted, and has base damage M, Mr. Expert will do an average of 1.36 boxes of damage per shot, while Mr. Lame will do an average of 0.28 boxes of damage per shot. Look, it's a 4.9-to-1 advantage!

If they both have TN4 and the shot isn't resisted, Mr. Expert will do an average of 9.995 boxes of damage and 2.75 boxes of overdamage, while Mr. Lame will do an average of 5.1 boxes of damage and no boxes of overdamage. Look, it's much less than a 5-to-1 advantage!

About the only place where Mr. Expert starts really outshining Mr. Lame is in "chance of a one shot kill". At TN4, Mr. Expert has a 99.8% chance of getting a D-damage shot, while Mr. Lame has only 6.25%. That's a 16-to-1 advantage!

But wait. With TN 14, Mr. Expert has a 0.103% chance of D damage (yeah, right!), while Mr. Lame has a 0.00028% chance of D damage (HAHAHAHAHA). That's a 3600-to-1 advantage!

Ah well, so much for that idea.

More stuff added in edit:
[ Spoiler ]
Rolemodel
In SR3, how good you are is directly proportional to the number of dice you roll - our hypothetical 20-die character has just as much of an advantage over someone with 4 dice regardless of whether the TN is 2 or 6 or 12+.

You stated that 'How good you are' is directly proportional to the number of dice you roll. That's a close enough assumption to the truth to be valid, overlooking that the porportionate distribution of the exponential probability curve is not quite -directly- porportional.

What you're missing, however is that while your chance of success, compared to another number of dice will be constant, the effect will not. So, Yes: Higher skills will always average a steady percentage of successes above a lesser skill, comparatively. But, No: The effects of these skills will be felt differently, entirely, depending on where you evaluate them on the curve.

Thus: Low TN, massive difference, High TN, not so much. This all comes to light because while the probability is exponential, the tabulation of effect, is not, blahblahblahsaidthisathousandtimesalready.

What blatant dismissal? I stated my position clearly - and provided proof for it.

You ignored it, and re-posted the same lies and misrepresentations a couple of pages later. When called on it, you declined to provide a reasoned argument, and decided instead to put words in my mouth and pretend I failed to explain my position.

So no, I did not ignore it. But I have pointed out that what you've said does not properly address it. The reality is that regardless of whether or not RunnerA has a 500% higher possibility of success count, when the result of that higher success count is 12 additional successes, the consequences will be huge. Whereas, when the difference is 1-2 additional successes, obviously not so much.

Do. You. Get. It. Yet?

-RM
Ellery
You don't think failing vs. succeeding is "huge", I take it?
Rolemodel
Hrm. I think an easy average of 12 net successes over another skill level is huge.

But, no, I don't think the difference between 0 and 1 is that large, comparatively then, given they're both promptly tossed directly into a linear equation, more often than not effectively creating them as equal.

-RM

EDIT: The effect of an average 12 net successes is huge. The effective of 0-1 net successes, leaning towards zero, is not that large, comparatively, given both 0, or 1 will be promptly tossed directly into a linear equation, more often than not effectively creating them as equal.
mmu1
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
Fact: Damage is staged up wound levels, in increments of 2 successes.

Point: At a TN of 2, 4 skill dice will most likely change L--> S prior to being staged back down by the 'defender'. At a TN of 2, 20 skill dice will most likely change L --> D+++.

Conclusion: I could add more '+s' for emphasis, but the fact is that our system refects high skill having the biggest impact in simple scenarios. But that's a direct repurcussion with basing linear effect off exponential probability. Why is this so hard to swallow? Because it's an extreme example that demonstrates the degeneration of the system?

Of course it is! But what, then, are these examples thrown back the other way to include 21+ dice wielding SuperAdepts? Extreme examples? Exactly!

How can you show so much obvious bias to so hungryly gobble up one, and then so distastefully -overlook- the other? If it boils down to personal preference, then fine, naturally you are imbued with the ability to formulate your own preferences, and opinions, even throwing out facts.

But then, that heavily discredits any neutrality you may profess to have, when evaluating a presented number system, and commenting upon it.

-RM

Here we go again...

Even if it was true that high skill had the biggest impact in simple scenarios this would ONLY be a problem IF it didn't have a big enough impact in difficult scenarios - but it does. Even at difficult TNs like 10 or 12, having higher skill gives you a significantly higher chance of success than having a skill of 4.

It's only at impossibly high TNs that it ceases to matter - almost completely - how many dice you have - but that's exactly as if I complained that in SR4, the system breaks down, because at a treshold of 10 or 15, it doesn't really matter whether you have 6 dice or 24 dice - you have virtually no chance of success. It's an argument logically identical to the one you made about SR3 - care to defend it, too?

Ellery
If you're trying to kill someone, and can't hit them regardless of skill, they aren't going to die. This is pretty straightforward.

If you have to keep shooting in bad conditions, then you will kill them about five times faster if you have five times the dice. This is pretty useful.

In SR3, when faced with bad conditions, you generally want to make them better before trying to succeed. If you're highly skilled, you don't need to make them as much better before you can do "well enough" as you do when you're not highly skilled.

In SR4, with the penalties we've seen, you don't have to worry about them so much when you have high skill, and they're utterly lethal when you don't.

Maybe you can specify a way to measure the effect. Then we can come up with a number and compare numbers. Rhetoric about "Wow, that's huge!" doesn't really map to calculations very well. Say how huge and then maybe we can get somewhere instead of blowing hot air. Or, specify a specific effect and then we can calculate chances of obtaining that effect in different conditions.

Edit to respond to RM's edit: A linear progression from 0 to 1 matters a lot. Zero times an effect is zero. You don't get much done when you do zero.
Rolemodel
QUOTE (mmu1)
Even if it was true that high skill had the biggest impact in simple scenarios this would ONLY be a problem IF it didn't have a big enough impact in difficult scenarios - but it does. Even at difficult TNs like 10 or 12, having higher skill gives you a significantly higher chance of success than having a skill of 4.

Having a high skill does, yes, give you a higher chance of rolling a 'success'. I am not arguing that it does not. The effect, however, is felt heavily at low levels, and tapers off at high levels of difficulty. Therefore, while of course you are more likely to generate more successes at a higher TN, those successes will hold marginal impact at best, when compared to more reasonable TNs.

It's only at impossibly high TNs that it ceases to matter - almost completely - how many dice you have - but that's exactly as if I complained that in SR4, the system breaks down, because at a treshold of 10 or 15, it doesn't really matter whether you have 6 dice or 24 dice - you have virtually no chance of success. It's an argument logically identical to the one you made about SR3 - care to defend it, too?

Yep! Glad you're starting to see the light here, a little bit. They've both got mathematical holes in them, able to be exploited in extreme situations. I was merely presenting all of this to point out that it's fairly niave to believe it is a situation unique to SR4.

-RM
mfb
rolemodel, did you completely miss the part where ellery proved that the guy with 20 dice consistently has a 5:1 (or more) advantage over the guy with 4 dice at every concievable TN?
Ellery
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
Yep! Glad you're starting to see the light here, a little bit. They've both got mathematical holes in them, able to be exploited in extreme situations.
Good grief. Firstly, the phenomenon you pointed out is that, "If it's so hard you're doomed to fail, it doesn't matter what your skill is!" That's hardly a mathematical hole. You don't want people doing impossible tasks on a regular basis, do you?

Secondly, the concern isn't about something perversely rare in SR4. It's about normal usage unless you're careful to avoid creating a character who really is good.
mfb
the only thing i can imagine is that rolemodel wants the guy with 20 dice to be able to regularly accomplish tasks that are literally impossible. SR4 seems to agree with him, and raises the pot by making 20 dice a not-uncommon occurence. personally, i like impossible things to be impossible--but, then, street-level games have always appealed to me.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (mfb)
SR4 seems to agree with him, and raises the pot by making 20 dice a not-uncommon occurence.

I disagree with this assertation, having made 3 characters so far with SR4's character creation rules. You can make a ridiculously powerful gun-bunny (or other specialist), but the rest of your stats suffer big-time. The highest reasonable number of dice you are going to be able to roll for any particular combat skill is probably 12 dice for a mundane, 15 or so for an adept. That's still a lot, granted, but you will feel the effects of extreme specializations a lot harder under SR4 character creation rules than in SR3.
mfb
14 dice is easy, even without cyber and other mods--6 att, 6 skill, +2 specialization. you can get 15 if you take an Aptitude. that means that adepts can hit 18 dice.

and the fact that the character's other skills will suffer has no bearing on the fact that he breaks the system in his area of expertise. the fact that he breaks it at chargen is insult on injury.
Rolemodel
Edit to respond to RM's edit: A linear progression from 0 to 1 matters a lot.  Zero times an effect is zero.  You don't get much done when you do zero.

For clarification I was referring to a net difference, not a net total, which is a different beast entirely.

QUOTE (Ellery)
Maybe you can specify a way to measure the effect.  Then we can come up with a number and compare numbers.  Rhetoric about "Wow, that's huge!" doesn't really map to calculations very well.  Say how huge and then maybe we can get somewhere instead of blowing hot air.  Or, specify a specific effect and then we can calculate chances of obtaining that effect in different conditions.

Sure. That sounds reasonable. Let's use combat, because that will be an example integral to the system, and one we'll all be familiar with. And we'll pit our Skill:18 Freak, against our Skill:6 d00d.

TN(2) - Skill:24 Freak will average right smack-dab around 20 successes. Skill:6 d00d scores himself 5. We've created a net difference of 15 successes. In combat, prior to staging, this is effectively seven and a half levels of damage. That's really pretty significant, and I don't think either of us could disagree.

And while that average net successes of comparison will be popped into a linear scale, it's hard for me to imagine that our Freak will not incredibly outshine our n00b.

TN(12) - Skill:24 Freak will not find that only 1 out of 36 dice thrown will meet this TN, and he will not even be able to produce a single 'average' success. Likewise, not unexpected, Skill:6 d00d will be equally hardpressed. Statistically, Freak may score one, and d00d will score none. With realistic deviance, Freak will score one, and d00d could too.

So here, we're presented with the matter of success borderlining with failure. Afterall, and a very good counterarguement, the difference between nothing and something is very dramatic.

Don't overlook, however, that this test will be put directly through the washer, and is hardly complete. It hasn't hit a dodge test. And it hasn't hit a soak test. After evaluating these additional facets of the test, -in addition to the results of this-, it becomes clear that the difference in performance is not nearly as different. A single net success over the attacker's provided successes in a dodge test will negate both attempts.

Whereas, contrary, it is hardly a competition at all, evaluated at the lower, opposite end of the scale. The probability of the the mathematics applied against the huge difference in net successes reducing both results to effectively the same is laughably small.

So. Full circle. SR3. Situations are created where: Plenty of effect when life is a breeze. Equally effective on the opposite end. And where this takes me, farther, is that once again, for all the claims of realism, this strikes me as the exact -opposite- of how a highly skilled individual should perform.

Admittedly, and thankfully due to my love of the genre, in a much more modest range of both skill, and TN, the system is a harder, firmer, more flexible, and stomachable system than many alternatives presented.

-RM
Rolemodel
QUOTE (mfb)
the only thing i can imagine is that rolemodel wants the guy with 20 dice to be able to regularly accomplish tasks that are literally impossible. SR4 seems to agree with him, and raises the pot by making 20 dice a not-uncommon occurence. personally, i like impossible things to be impossible--but, then, street-level games have always appealed to me.

No. I would -like- to see ridiculous things like 20 dice removed completely from play. However, that's another matter entirely.

I'm just demonstrating where it throws a wrench very similiar into the Sacred Cow of SRIII to the concerns brought up for SR4.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (mfb)
14 dice is easy, even without cyber and other mods--6 att, 6 skill, +2 specialization. you can get 15 if you take an Aptitude. that means that adepts can hit 18 dice.

Erm, having 2 6's anywhere on the character sheet is not easy, especially with a 6 in an attribute category (which has a premium of +15 BP there, not to mention that you are buying up to 6 in the first place). It is very difficult to make a viable character with multiple 6's running around... the most that we've been able to do in our gaming group is a single 6 in Demolitions, and no one has a 6 in any of their attributes. There's a big difference between making a theoretical character that can do X and making a character that you'd actually want to play.
Rolemodel
QUOTE (Ellery)
You don't want people doing impossible tasks on a regular basis, do you?

Good grief is right. What exactly do you expect people to do, then, when presented with ability levels that absolutely defy human standards?

...Umm...

...uhh....

...mmmm... Defy human limits, maybe? Yah think?

This isn't about street level. It isn't about superhero's. It's about realizing that with or without lubrication, when you jam as many dice as you can up an RPG's ass, there will be uncomfortable situations regardless.

-RM
mfb
your problem is that you want people with a high number of dice to succeed every single time. that's ridiculous. you're not taking into account the fact that while the guy with 20 dice may not succeed the first time, he's going to succeed five or more times as often as the guy with 4 dice. that's why we look at averages, rolemodel. people who succeed every single time, regardless of circumstances, are superheroes. they're plot devices. they're the guys that laugh when some goon empties the clip at them, but duck when the goon throws the gun. realistic high-skill guys fail at nearly-impossible tasks regularly--but they succeed more often than low-skill guys.
Autarkis
The thing I love about mathematics is that it can be taken out of context and used to validate numberous arguements. Ellery and mmu1 (and correct me if I am wrong) are looking at the data the following way and primarily concentrating on the % difference in successes (the 500:1 ratio they keep stating.)

CODE

TN Prob 4 Dice 20 Dice Net Succ. Percentage
2 0.833 3.333 16.667 -13.333 500%
4 0.500 2.000 10.000 -8.000 500%
6 0.167 0.667 3.333 -2.667 500%
8 0.139 0.556 2.778 -2.222 500%
10 0.083 0.333 1.667 -1.333 500%
12 0.028 0.111 0.556 -0.444 500%
14 0.023 0.093 0.463 -0.370 500%
16 0.014 0.056 0.278 -0.222 500%
18 0.005 0.019 0.093 -0.074 500%
20 0.004 0.015 0.077 -0.062 500%
22 0.002 0.009 0.046 -0.037 500%
24 0.001 0.003 0.015 -0.012 500%

The above is 1 attempt and makes it look like the number of dice are not material.

Now this does seem to invalidate everything that Rolemodel is saying. But I think (and again Rolemodel, correct me if I am wrong) he is looking at it differently over successes over a given period of time.

CODE

TN 4 Dice 20 Dice Net Succ. Percentage
2 333.333 1666.667 1333.333 500%
4 200.000 1000.000 800.000 500%
6 66.667 333.333 266.667 500%
8 55.556 277.778 222.222 500%
10 33.333 166.667 133.333 500%
12 11.111 55.556 44.444 500%
14 9.259 46.296 37.037 500%
16 5.556 27.778 22.222 500%
18 1.852 9.259 7.407 500%
20 1.543 7.716 6.173 500%
22 0.926 4.630 3.704 500%
24 0.309 1.543 1.235 500%

(Note: Over 100 attempts)

Now at TN 20 (and I round down to eliminate "partial" success") joe average will receive 1 success for every 100 attempts while kewl joez will receive 7. Att 22, no successes for joe average but 4 for joe kewl, and at 24 no successes for joe average buy 1 for joe kewl.

Is this correct?
mfb
so, he's railing against diminishing returns. diminishing returns, to me, are the thinking man's attribute/skill cap.
Rolemodel
#1: "Hey, have you met Johnny? He said he'll be a little bit late. He is a world class marksman. Infact, he's -better- than a worldclass marksman. If you could see him in action, you'd be -amazed- at how massively destructive he is."

#2: "Whoa. Really? Sounds impressive. I can't wait."

#1: "Yeah, totally. If I were to assign a numerical value to how badass he was, it'd be double digits, and then some!"

#2: "Whoa! What can he do, so well?"

#1: "All sorts of stuff!"

#2: "Like, shoot a gnat out of the air, with a blindfold?"

#1: "Well, err... no."

#2: "How about maybe pick out a target he can barely see, in the middle of a hurricaine, and hit it between the eyes?"

#1: "Pffft. No way."

#2: "Well, can he chase someone who's running away from him, over difficult terrain, dodging passerbyers, and still hit his mark in the kneecap?"

#1: "Well, I guess he -could-, maybe."

#2: "Maybe?"

#1: "Well, sometimes, I mean. Not very often."

#2: "Oh. Huh. Well, what -can- he do?"

#1: "Oh, man! You won't believe this. And I mean, I consider myself pretty handy with the steel, but..."

#2: "Oh! Yeah?"

#1: "If you hold up a large object, and get it very secure, and unmoving, in clear atmospheric conditions, allowing him to place his laser sight on it and take all the time in the world aiming at the target, until he's completely comfortable with the shot..."

#2: "Uh... Uh-huh?"

#1: "Well hot-damn, he'll blow the living -SHIT- out of it every time! Guarenteed!"

#2: "Oh."

#1: "Pretty neat-o, yeah?"

#2: "Um. You said he was the -Best-, right? Like a Demigod amoung men?"

#1: "Oh. No doubt. Absolutely."

#2: "Huh. Check please."
mfb
so, in other words, superhero. that's really all you had to say. rolemodel, i'll make you a deal: if you never again say, write, type, or think the words "realism" or "realistic", i won't hunt you down and slap you until i get tired.
Ellery
QUOTE (Rolemodel)
QUOTE (Ellery)
Maybe you can specify a way to measure the effect.  Then we can come up with a number and compare numbers.  Rhetoric about "Wow, that's huge!" doesn't really map to calculations very well.  Say how huge and then maybe we can get somewhere instead of blowing hot air.  Or, specify a specific effect and then we can calculate chances of obtaining that effect in different conditions.

Sure. That sounds reasonable.

. . .

TN(12) - Skill:24 Freak will not find that only 1 out of 36 dice thrown will meet this TN, and he will not even be able to produce a single 'average' success. Likewise, not unexpected, Skill:6 d00d will be equally hardpressed. Statistically, Freak may score one, and d00d will score none. With realistic deviance, Freak will score one, and d00d could too.

You agreed, apparently, to measure the effect, using numbers, or to calculate chances, or at least provide the means to do so.

You didn't.

You didn't give a metric by which we could measure the result.

You didn't specify what we were calculating the chances of--and used an example nearly identical to the one where I demonstrated a flat 5-1 advantage, contradicting your thesis.

You then launched into more rhetoric, threw in a bunch of things like dodge test and so on. It's just more opinion, more hot air. You're guessing that when a dodge test is thrown in there...that it'll somehow even out the expert and the novice? Now, I could put down numbers here showing that although both fail, the expert fails vastly less. But what's the point of posting more probabilities? They seem to roll off your back like water off a duck's.

It's not really worth my time.
Rolemodel
so, in other words, superhero. that's really all you had to say. rolemodel, i'll make you a deal: if you never again say, write, type, or think the words "realism" or "realistic", i won't hunt you down and slap you until i get tired.

Are you serious? Like, wait, seriously? You're telling me that when a presented 'average' skill level is 3, and someone is walking around with -eight times that amount-, that not allowing them to succeed against amazing odds is -realistic-!?

Perhaps you could more sensibly present the arguement that the introduction of -eight times the profiency of an average profressional- introduced your dreaded super-hero element into the game, rather than the silly worldshattering result that occurs when said SuperHero finds a really flimsy, really still, and really broad target to shoot...

..."Ok, I um, let's see... All these dice except the ones are successes, right? Ok, I'm doing... Deadly damage, with eighteen boxes of overdamage. It's dead, right?"...

...And as a result it get's blown from more angles than even Jenna Jameson could handle.

You agreed, apparently, to measure the effect, using numbers, or to calculate chances, or at least provide the means to do so.

Ahh. I misunderstood you, and was under the impression that you wanted me to take the numbers that our little model produces, and then actually -apply them into- the game system that they fit into.

I.E, 15 net successes becomes a ridiculous deadly wound, with plenty of messy overdamage, whereas 1 net success becomes incredibly dependant on influences outside of the character's means to control. smile.gif

So, like, you wanted a nice, systematic math model, without taking into account how it fits directly into the presented game effect resolution engine?

How often does the long-shot 1 success to a test face the complete wiping clean of success when countered by a dodge test? How often will that slight margin of success matter, to our DemiGod, against all odds, when the target applies a clean, linear, 4 successes to it's dodge test? Two? Maybe Six?

How often, then, does that same scenario affect our DemiGod in the low range? When has 15 successes ever -not- put a huge dent in any opposition?

That's -quite- a mathematical model to construct, then. And there are more than just a handful of variables to track, and consider. I don't know if I have the resources, or the time at my disposal to craft something that would model each and every situation for you.

But it seems fairly telling that '20' is much more difficult to budge than '5'. And '1' and '0' have much less degrees of difficulty involved in dislodging them. Surely you can get that basic little nugget?

Wouldn't you agree? smile.gif

I suppose I must have been a little thrown back by you being so willing to overlook such a basic, integral part of the game, that it seemed odd to me that you wouldn't include it in your rational explanation. I didn't know you wanted to draw the line so concisely over your 'm0r3 d1c3 izzz g00d!' rhetoric, without examining the natural repurcussions of it throughout basic, and universally applied and outlined effects generated by the system. smile.gif

-RM

Edit: Added 'Comparatively' between '1' and '0'. And then, a nice satisfying thump of my head hitting my pillow.

Edit#2: And the grammar is still poor. Reworded the '1' and '0'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012