Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So far
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
fistandantilus4.0
I have. I've been running the same game for a bout a year now, and all the PC's have their main skill at a 10, and a few others at above 6. The thing that really irks me is that (especially in the case of a mundane such as a street sam) if you havea character long enough, you could theoretcially get every skill, and max them and all of your attributes. How does it make sense that it is possible to be as good as is possible at everything!?! "I am a master of everything". "How!?" "simple, I shadowrun once a week, and am now a master at everything from assault rifles to VTOL's". Yes, you can already get really damn good, even all sixes in every skill, but that you can be literally the best at everything is jsut stupid. This I really don't like. I will house rule it of course, I'm just hoping someone read it wrong.
FrostyNSO
...well that's a problem with it being, you know, a game. Coincidentally, it's also a perfect reason why a cap is bogus in the first place.
FrostyNSO
..and exceeding mortal capacity is what SR is all about.

Your flesh not good enough? Get the newest implant! That'll give you the edge you need.

...and then you introduce magic....

edit: Placing a cap does the exact opposite of create grit. No more is there the old: "No matter how good you are, there's always somebody better." To me, that statement oozes gritty reality.
fistandantilus4.0
even in D&D you can go past 20th lv. Advancement is pretty friggin ridiculous (considering what you'd have to kill to go up a level of 30th lv), but it's possible.

I loved that there was such a scale to the power in SR. 1st ed Prime Runners had Rhonabwy at sorcery 25! That's power! That's what a GD should be. Now, wow, they can be twice as good as a human can possibly be. Just dumb. and yeah, there are other factors, like will adding to the sorcery roll, but I think that power gap from the 'unkillables' and the 'meat' jsut got a lot smaller. What about the immortal elves? Does Harlequin now have a 9 will and 6 spellcasting!? Wow , I'M impressed! Good thing he has that face paint, 'cause otherwise he'd be jsut like every other friggin elf. Sure he's 7000 years old. But it sure doesn't reflect that in his 6 spellcasting.

Yeah, I'm ranting, and i'ts an easy solution. I'm jsut pissed that they wrote something that stupid into the game.
Nerbert
But no, with enough Karma, in SR3 your flesh was all you ever really needed to improve your skill. I mean, if we're talking about PCs with enough Karma to be "experts at everything" then lets talk about SR3 characters with enough Karma to achieve actually divine levels of combat prowness. Street miracle workers with enough dice to regularly shoot gnats, blind, no not just blind but actually decapitated. Thats just as nonsensical to me. And furthermore, to counter it, everyone else in the world has to be just that good to provide a sufficient challenge. Expert rocketeering gangsters. I honestly don't see how one system is more flawed then the other.
SL James
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Aug 20 2005, 01:42 AM)
edit: Placing a cap does the exact opposite of create grit.  No more is there the old:  "No matter how good you are, there's always somebody better."  To me, that statement oozes gritty reality.

I was thinking the same thing.

QUOTE (Nerbert)
I honestly don't see how one system is more flawed then the other.

Because, like it says above, you can always pit Mr. Badass against someone who's even better than he is.
Nerbert
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 20 2005, 02:48 AM)
edit: Placing a cap does the exact opposite of create grit.  No more is there the old:  "No matter how good you are, there's always somebody better."  To me, that statement oozes gritty reality.

But its just not true. In order to make someone "better" they had to be even more super human then the PCs. Thats not gritty at all, its like a God game, where everyone walks around touched by the phallus of Zeus.

not to mention that this is completely, 100% contrary to the other aspect of grittiness that everyone is alwasy talking about: The idea that anyone could potentially kill you. In SR3 it took so much luck that it wasn't even worth worrying about. A street tough with a knife and a little determination was no threat at all to a pro.
FrostyNSO
Well it must be something to do with how your group plays. With no caps, we never had anybody get out-of-hand crazy powerful like you just described.

Also, you don't have to make all the opposition ass-powerful to make up for the PC's. Our group rarely faces anybody with a primary skill higher that 5 or 6, and these are PC's with 200+ karma. I think anyone of them will tell you, they don't have it easy.

If you play your "bad guys" like spaghetti western cutouts, then sure they're gonna die without high ass skills.
Sabosect
Okay, that made me laugh. I'm imagining some guy wandering around with a giant phallus, beating random people with it. I wonder, did he specialize in deific phalluses or use just a general skill?
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Okay, that made me laugh. I'm imagining some guy wandering around with a giant phallus, beating random people with it. I wonder, did he specialize in deific phalluses or use just a general skill?

Better question would be: "Is he the best at it?"
Nerbert
Olympian Phallus - Damage: 10P( -8 ), Reach: 20, Avail: special, Cost: Mortal Soul

In any case, I agree that that the skill caps seem unnecessary and I wouldn't be shy about getting rid of them if it were appropriate to the campaign. However, I have no intention of doing this because I happen to like the way they limit character advancement and promote more a more diverse group.
Zen Shooter01
There are dildos, about 18" long overall, that have handles like billy clubs. I intend to get one to keep in the car.

There is no way you can spin the story of your defeat so that you are the hero when you get beaten stupid by a giant rubber cock.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Sabosect)

He took the improvised melee skill package biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
See, I think you're jsut looking at it wrong Nerbert. It's easy to change it withiout tweeking it completely. Just do like they do with high attributes now, and make it a higher price to raise.
Like I mentioned ,the group I've been running is pretty damn good at this point. One guy, the drake/ninja/dragon shaman that has caused my group so much grief, is pretty bad ass. Attunement to his weapon, spec at 8 or 10, plus adept boosts. First time I took him down, four triads gunned him down with Ares Predators at short range. They just shot a whole hell of a lot (wouldn't you?!). Later, he got taken down by a small pack of ghouls (5) working with a wendigo. Friends in melee. It's not like you have to pile on the badies to take someone out. Simply out numbering is enough. 4-1 about does it in most cases really.
mfb
QUOTE (Nerbert)
Isn't it acceptable that maybe there are just limits to mortal capacity? That seems "gritty" and perfectly in line with the Shadowrun philosophy.

congratulations on completely missing the point. the problem isn't that there's a cap on skills--though i'm personally uncomfortable with the cap, and would prefer to see it removed. the problem is that you can reach the absolute upper limit of human achievement at chargen. you hit the limit right out of the box. woo, fun. character growth? street-level skills? apparently, a shadowrunner craves not these things.
fistandantilus4.0
thank you for articulating what I could only rant.
mfb
you seem to be wearing my hat, sir.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Nerbert)
Isn't it acceptable that maybe there are just limits to mortal capacity? That seems "gritty" and perfectly in line with the Shadowrun philosophy.

congratulations on completely missing the point. the problem isn't that there's a cap on skills--though i'm personally uncomfortable with the cap, and would prefer to see it removed. the problem is that you can reach the absolute upper limit of human achievement at chargen. you hit the limit right out of the box. woo, fun. character growth? street-level skills? apparently, a shadowrunner craves not these things.

check the latest bull thread:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=9489

from the info in there you can have only one skill at 6, or two at 5 in chargen. the rest max at 4...
mfb
i'm aware of that. all that means is that you can only reach the pinnacle of ability in a single area at chargen. wow, now it's gritty.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb)
i'm aware of that. all that means is that you can only reach the pinnacle of ability in a single area at chargen. wow, now it's gritty.

should i read that as sarcasm?
fistandantilus4.0
nah

*sarcasm*
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 20 2005, 03:13 AM)

I can't say i'm entirely comfortable with it.

But given that to reach the pinnacle of a single specialization (you can fully specialize at creation?) if it is even possible you'd have to pour i'm guessing pretty much all the PC's BP into the skill + attribute + 'ware for the attribute + 'ware for the skill + Edge, a one trick pony doesn't seem so bad. He was the best of the best in his little field, a hot house flower that is going to wilt more than a bit when an unfortunate turn of events drops him in the shadowns.

Oh, and he isn't going to be the best in an awakened area or as a techno.
Athenor
You know what's the first thing I think of when I see these hard limits?

I think about the specilization books. And that the hard caps are there so that chars have to "naturally progress" to the more powerful stuff, like a modern MMO... And that the specilization books = skills/stats that are higher than 6/7.....

mintcar
We do have the "exeptional" qualities. Maybe there will be "fantastical" qualities in the future that lets you take skills or attributes to 2 points above maximum?
hobgoblin
ugh, why did that make me think of epic feats of D&D fame?
mintcar
The qualities remind me of feats as they stand.
nezumi
To those who complain about the possibility of having 50 in pistols and shooting gnats out of the air...

SR3 really isn't made to deal with the idea of people going above say 3,000 karma. But it would be fairly easy to fix; institute training times as is suggested in the companion. Very quickly getting skills above say 20 becomes a quest all in itself. Of course though, if you've been alive since 1850, your best friend was Samuel Colt and you've spent effectively *YEARS* straight doing nothing but studying how to fire a gun, you should be able to shoot gnats out of the sky!

Of course, taking off the skill cap is about as easy a fix (we hope). But it's not canon.

As for people saying that this will encourage diversification, doesn't this sound a little bit like the argument against being able to spend money to become magically active/buy essence? Just thought it was amusing.
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar @ Aug 20 2005, 05:59 AM)
The qualities remind me of feats as they stand.

The Attribute/Skill boost to the ceiling is standard Edges & Flaws fair. The Qualities of being awakened or a techno are nothing like Feats at all (well not the standard D20 ones anyway). Not the least of which is their variable cost.

I haven't seen yet that you can take Qualities post-creation?
chevalier_neon
You can... Tisz said that in his post with karma chart. It looks like it costs 2*BP in karma, if I can remember...
Autarkis
Well, I like the caps becuase it gives more weight to Cyber and Magic for that extra edge. So we have an individual that has reached the height of human achievement, but he wants to be better than everyone else...so he gets cyberware that makes him a little quicker, stronger, and tougher to get that extra edge or trains with that mysterious old man from the Orient who makes him wax his floor....

I think skill caps give characters reasons to buy more than just wired reflexes for extra init. (or in this case extra passes.) A person who is master of the sword will be beaten by a person who is master of the sword and is either cybered up, spelled up, or magick'ed up. Gives a reason for a player to "cheat" and augment their abilities with something else.
blakkie
QUOTE (chevalier_neon)
You can... Tisz said that in his post with karma chart. It looks like it costs 2*BP in karma, if I can remember...

Thanks, missed that.

So i wonder what limits are on that, if you can awaken post-creation?
JongWK
Yes, you can do that. smile.gif
chevalier_neon
This a good question... My guess on that is that some of the qualities will be available only at chargen (for example, you are born ambidextrous, you don't become ambidextrous because you are trying to...)
For the cap, I think it is a good thing, because in the end, we are all limited to some extent... What I am wondering about is : what for some creatures like Dragons... they don't have the same limitations as a human beings.. so I hope that some creatures will have the right to go over those skills cap... but characters shouldn't have the opportunity to reach the same level... especially when you know that a shadowrunner won't do his job for more than 15 years... because then he will be too old tostay at the state of his art, already too rich to risk his life, or dead... And in 15 years, you can become one of the best in your area of practices, but you will be limited then...
blakkie
QUOTE (JongWK)

So what if you already have essense lost, do you have buy any points of Magic you would have lost before the awakened state takes effect? And does it have to be done immediately as part of purchasing the Quality?
JongWK
Chevalier, your *average* SR4 Great Dragon has Sorcery Group 10, plus Magic 12. That means he can throw you a Force 24 spell with 22 dice at least.

Ouch.
JongWK
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (JongWK @ Aug 20 2005, 09:23 AM)

So what if you already have essense lost, do you have buy any points of Magic you would have lost before the awakened state takes effect? And does it have to be done immediately as part of purchasing the Quality?

Blakkie, I'm not sure about it. I'm at work and quoting from memory.
chevalier_neon
Don't think I am a masochist, but I am happy of that biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Nerbert @ Aug 20 2005, 02:47 AM)
But no, with enough Karma, in SR3 your flesh was all you ever really needed to improve your skill.  I mean, if we're talking about PCs with enough Karma to be "experts at everything" then lets talk about SR3 characters with enough Karma to achieve actually divine levels of combat prowness.  Street miracle workers with enough dice to regularly shoot gnats, blind, no not just blind but actually decapitated.  Thats just as nonsensical to me.  And furthermore, to counter it, everyone else in the world has to be just that good to provide a sufficient challenge.  Expert rocketeering gangsters.  I honestly don't see how one system is more flawed then the other.

Do you even bother thinking before you post?

SR3, 20 dice, 12 combat pool, TN (4 + 8 blind fire + 6 gnat (low for a TN mod, but let's roll with it) - 2 smartlink) 16.

At skill 20, you nail that gnat just over 1 in 3 times with a single success. Then the gnat gets to dodge.

Oh, wait, decapitated. Now that's TN what, 19 (+3 Physical)? 22 (+3 Physical +3 Stun)?

TN 19: ~13% chance of hit

TN 22: ~7% chance of hit

And the gnat still has a 50% chance of avoiding that completely with the expenditure of one combat pool die.

~J
blakkie
You know you are on DSF when you can come across an arguement about the probabilities of shooting a [dodging] gnat. rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif love.gif
Kagetenshi
Hey, ever tried swatting one? Those things definitely dodge, and with a lot of combat pool to boot biggrin.gif

~J
mintcar
I think those thing spend their lives in constant full dodge.
Zen Shooter01
Kagetenchi: do you ever bother thinking about hyperbole?
Kagetenshi
And have you considered that there are times when it is wholly inappropriate?

The effect he describes does not happen. It's that simple. The example we use to demonstrate is irrelevant.

~J
SL James
QUOTE (Nerbert @ Aug 20 2005, 01:51 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 20 2005, 02:48 AM)

not to mention that this is completely, 100% contrary to the other aspect of grittiness that everyone is alwasy talking about: The idea that anyone could potentially kill you. In SR3 it took so much luck that it wasn't even worth worrying about. A street tough with a knife and a little determination was no threat at all to a pro.

Despite the fact that mfb said exactly what I would have said, twice in fact, you may have missed my second point when I edited my post to explain that without a cap that is exactly what makes SR gritty is that without a cap you will always be able to pit them against another metahuman who is better than them as opposed to how you can now start out of the gate as the best in the world at something (ignoring the fact that I don't feel 7 really models the uniqueness of a legendary skill user, but that's another story).

The most dice you can ever throw at your PCs with a metahuman opponent, and a value which the PC may be throwing back because of hard caps is 24. The threat of someone who is even slightly more powerful, let alone outclassing the PC for when it really counts, is no longer an option unless you throw a Dragon at them, which has its own set of problems (Namely, why the hell are they fighting a dragon? How "street" is that to you, because to me it's not even close).

But my biggest concern is the same as mfb's: How does being able to be the best in the world at chargen made the game in any way more "street-level" or "gritty?"

So it's only one area where you're the best on Earth. You'll be one of the best at everything else by 200 karma with a well-designed PC at chargen, and that's what annoys the hell out of me.

There is always someone better than you.
Nerbert
You caculations were accurate, but irrelevant. I wasn't talking about 20 dice, I was talking about some imaginary number of dice at which such a feat is possible. Afterall, the discussion wasn't about someone who was very good a quite a few things, it was someone who was the best professional at everything. Everything.

It doesn't matter how much Karma it takes to get to this point. That wasn't the purpose of the complaint. The complaint was that it was possible. My complaint is that given enough Karma, its possible to shoot a gnat while decapitated.

Yes, I understand that another problem is that its possible at character generation. Thats not a complaint about caps, thats a complaint about character generation. If you don't want it to be possible just say "I'm running a game where its not possible." Thats not even a houserule, thats GM perogative.

As for grittiness, you might be the best professional with a pistol. But so what? You're poor, untalented, and untrained at nearly everything else. Sure you can shoot guns good, but can you convince someone to give you a job? Can you defend yourself in a scrape? Probably not all that well.
Darkness
Well. Use Edge and roll some 6's in a row and you can as easily beat a high threshold. But, as in Bull's thread said, you won't need so much successes, since the use of a firearm against a Target is an opposed roll, not one against a threshold. And even if the modifiers reduce your Dice Pool to 0 you may roll Edge, and every 6 you roll gives you another chance for a Hit.
Ellery
Yes, I understand that another problem is that its possible at character generation. Thats not a complaint about caps, thats a complaint about character generation.
It is a complaint about caps inasmuch as if you didn't have them, you wouldn't be able to do reach the pinnacle of human ability at character generation time.
Nerbert
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 20 2005, 02:33 PM)
Yes, I understand that another problem is that its possible at character generation. Thats not a complaint about caps, thats a complaint about character generation.
It is a complaint about caps inasmuch as if you didn't have them, you wouldn't be able to do reach the pinnacle of human ability at character generation time.

And what I'm trying to say is that I prefer that to never being able to reach the pinacle of human ability at all, ever, because there is no pinacle.

I'm sure its just a matter of taste, just like most of the discussions on these boards.
SL James
QUOTE (Nerbert @ Aug 20 2005, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 20 2005, 02:33 PM)

And what I'm trying to say is that I prefer that to never being able to reach the pinacle of human ability at all, ever, because there is no pinacle.

Then you oppose caps, because with caps that is exactly what you can do, and in fact can do at chargen.

Even if it's one skill or skill group, the fact that you can theoretically start the game as a world renowned legend in a field by taking the exceptional attribute quality and skill equivalent defeats the whole purpose behind the game being set for "street-level". And so what if you have the personality of a toad? It never stopped GMs from sending Mr. J to meet with their player's runners before, and soon enough you can become Mr. Suave as well as being the best marksman on the planet (which by rep alone should be able to net you more than a few jobs, so that straw man gets blown away in a hurry).

It's just a really stupid idea, and it was wholly unnecessary.
Ellery
No, he supports caps. Read again--he's saying he'd rather reach the pinnacle at creation time than never reach it.

Seems kind of like entering a cheat code and getting all the powerups for free at the start of the game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012