Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So far
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
chevalier_neon
This is not to flame, not for revenge or whatever.... just to know your feeling as we have now (and it was time) more information.

By the way, once again, many thanks to Tisoz, who is on his way to become Man of the Year on DS board... smile.gif
Bandwidthoracle
At the moment the only thing I'm nervous about is technomancers, everything else looks sweet.
Samoth
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
At the moment the only thing I'm nervous about is technomancers, everything else looks sweet.

I agree. If it only costs 5 BP to be one, I can't imagine anyone choosing a non-magical character not being a Technomancer. Seems too good to be true.
chevalier_neon
Who would have the kindness to create new threads to summarize all the information that Tisoz provided us, instead of having them in 3 or 4 different threads ? It might be great also to divide the topics in fact (chargen, magician, technomancer, cyber)... I would have done that myself, but I am quiet busy on our french forum to translate and post the information that are on DS...
blakkie
A huge number of questions openned up with that info. I can't really answer now till i get a better look. I'm going to have to keep the vote on the fence for a bit yet.

Near the top of the list of questions are Technomancers. It seems more than a bit wierd, but then i just noticed something on the Combat Mage that actually could help explain it. I'm not certain that a mundane even needs 'ware to hack, they might be able to do it with 'trodes alone. If that is true not requiring 'ware for Technomancers sort of makes sense, at least when they are hacking wireless equipment.
mfb
or maybe, they generate signals with brain radios.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (mfb)
or maybe, they generate signals with brain radios.

So they all wear tinfoil hats when they don't want to broadcast?
Don't make me come in there rotfl.gif
Derek
QUOTE (Samoth)
imagine anyone choosing a non-magical character not being a Technomancer. Seems too good to be true.

Oh, role playing reasons, maybe? Since it appears that not everyone in 2070 is a technomancer, or even more so, most people aren't?

Derek
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (blakkie)
A huge number of questions openned up with that info. I can't really answer now till i get a better look. I'm going to have to keep the vote on the fence for a bit yet.

Near the top of the list of questions are Technomancers. It seems more than a bit wierd, but then i just noticed something on the Combat Mage that actually could help explain it. I'm not certain that a mundane even needs 'ware to hack, they might be able to do it with 'trodes alone. If that is true not requiring 'ware for Technomancers sort of makes sense, at least when they are hacking wireless equipment.

See, I still think some hardcore people would want their wireless equipment implanted. Say someone who was so amazingly good at it they had "unnatural" skill?
chevalier_neon
I was thinking to something about Technomancers...
Of course, the BP is ridiculously low, but on the other hand, it might be really expensive (Skills, sprites etc.) to be a technomancer.. on the other hand, there might be some cons (remember, otaku shouldn't be able to pass the age of 18 with all their pros)... SO in the end, one of the main pro of being a Technomancer might just be the fact that you don't need any cyber... which in the end is not such a big pro if hacker can still do their "work" using wireless equipment... And if they can have less BP to invest in matrice-skills (no sprites etc...).
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Derek @ Aug 19 2005, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (Samoth @ Aug 19 2005, 12:54 PM)
imagine anyone choosing a non-magical character not being a Technomancer.  Seems too good to be true.

Oh, role playing reasons, maybe? Since it appears that not everyone in 2070 is a technomancer, or even more so, most people aren't?

Derek

Maybe their frail or socially inept like otkau, and that makes up for them being cheap?
JongWK
Technomancers have to buy Resonance attribute, remember (the 5 BP is just the Quality that allows them to do so).
chevalier_neon
That is a good point, but if the dev really focused this edition on technology, they might in the end prove as powerful as magicians, not only in the matrice, but in the real world... And this would have costed only 5BP... this is why I hope that there are some restrictions...
blakkie
Also we know that Technomancers experience drain (except it is called Fading and not Drain).
JongWK
Yep. Age no longer causes fading, or so it seems.
blakkie
QUOTE (JongWK)
Technomancers have to buy Resonance attribute, remember (the 5 BP is just the Quality that allows them to do so).

Do they get the first point free with that? If not it is basically the same price as a mage since the first point would cost them the 10BP for a total of 15BP.
JongWK
That's because they *are* different. smile.gif

Sorry if I can help you more with that. I don't have my playtesting notes at hand, and I don't feel comfortable giving you second hand information when Tisoz and the others at GenCon are posting good information.
tisoz
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (JongWK @ Aug 19 2005, 05:17 PM)

Do they get the first point free with that? If not it is basically the same price as a mage since the first point would cost them the 10BP for a total of 15BP.

Buy the Technomancer Quality and start with Resonance attribute of 1. It goes down with loss of essence just like magic attribute.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 19 2005, 05:25 PM)
QUOTE (JongWK @ Aug 19 2005, 05:17 PM)

Buy the Technomancer Quality and start with Resonance attribute of 1. It goes down with loss of essence just like magic attribute.

So what helps Otaku hurts grown up Otaku? That's why they all faded?
Demonseed Elite

It helps to consider them seperate, but related, creatures. Not all otaku became technomancers and not all technomancers were otaku.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

It helps to consider them seperate, but related, creatures. Not all otaku became technomancers and not all technomancers were otaku.

Is that for sure? Because the description we got was "Otaku who grew up"
JongWK
Some did. Others didn't.

*wishes System Failure was already out*
Demonseed Elite
Where did that description come from? I do know for sure that not all technomancers are otaku that grew up.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Where did that description come from? I do know for sure that not all technomancers are otaku that grew up.

If I call correctly it was the discritpion given in one of the first previews given by the German site.
blakkie
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Aug 19 2005, 07:22 PM)
Where did that description come from?  I do know for sure that not all technomancers are otaku that grew up.

If I call correctly it was the discritpion given in one of the first previews given by the German site.

Could be a translation issue then?
Demonseed Elite
Or an oversimplification.
tisoz
Most of the young otaku of old had also undergone a transformation, and they found their powers no longer faded with age.  This new breed rechristened themselves as technomancers - <snip>
Yoan
I was anti-SR4 at first; now I am neutral... only because it changes the feel of the game so much, to me. It's still SR-- just 'different'.
I especially like the powering down-- no Wired II off the bat, etc...
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Yoan)
I was anti-SR4 at first; now I am neutral... only because it changes the feel of the game so much, to me. It's still SR-- just 'different'.
I especially like the powering down-- no Wired II off the bat, etc...

That is one of the big appeals to me too, lower power
tisoz
QUOTE (Yoan)
no Wired II off the bat,

I have a feeling that was a mistake. The increase reflexes spell is still powerful and threshold 4 gives 3 extra initiative passes, so it seems even more powerful than before. How many times did 3 extra initiative dice add up to 30?

Adepts can still get 3 more passes, though 2 is comparable to wired2. Hackers have access to increased Passes as do riggers.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Yoan @ Aug 19 2005, 09:12 PM)
no Wired II off the bat,

I have a feeling that was a mistake. The increase reflexes spell is still powerful and threshold 4 gives 3 extra initiative passes, so it seems even more powerful than before. How many times did 3 extra initiative dice add up to 30?

Adepts can still get 3 more passes, though 2 is comparable to wired2. Hackers have access to increased Passes as do riggers.

Now that attributes give you pools, does this make decrease attribute the best spell ever? Someone shooting at you, decrease agility, they shoot a lot worse.
mfb
i don't mind the powering down. it's the fact that you can never really power up that i find irksome. and, really, it's not all that powered down. how street is it, if you can start the game as the best sharpshooter in the world, or the best gymnast in the world, or the best whatever in the world? a 6 stat, a 7 skill, and a specialization--no one else in the world will ever be better than you at your chosen focus. including you, at any point in the future. wtf?
bclements
Depends on 1)if its available and 2)when it goes into effect (initiative for the mage that casts it)

if you've got a high initiative mage, (and it's a valid spell) then...

EDIT: mfb, (and others), you've played this, and I don't know if your NDA's are still in effect, but if you can power up stuff, how often does it occur in your games?
SL James
QUOTE (mfb)
i don't mind the powering down. it's the fact that you can never really power up that i find irksome.

Like any human needs more than 13 dice before mods.

QUOTE (mfb)
how street is it, if you can start the game as the best sharpshooter in the world, or the best gymnast in the world, or the best whatever in the world?

Not very.

I don't like the idea of caps on skill advancement because, you're right, if you're in for the long run then sooner or later you're going to be the best in the world at something and one of the best in the world at everything else.
nezumi
I don't think it's the question of whether you need 14 dice, it's the question of 'can you get better'. If your advancement is halted at a set point, its a serious hindrance against your wanting to continue on. If your advancement in your chosen field is halted before the game even starts... Well, that's not a good thing.

I wonder if you can lift the 'maximum is 6' rule without breaking everything.
SL James
Clearly.
mfb
my NDA is on playtesting info. i'm allowed to talk about anything that's been released, because that's no longer playtesting info.

basically, if you want to be the best in the world at X at chargen, you can. you pay a fairly steep price for it, though; you're not going to have points left over to be more than mediocre at much else. alternatively, you can start with, say, 5s in your chosen focus, and have more points to spread around elsewhere. 30 karma or so later (i don't know what the final price for that 7th skill point is), you slam right into that upper limit.

in other words? almost every character, almost every game.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (nezumi)
I don't think it's the question of whether you need 14 dice, it's the question of 'can you get better'. If your advancement is halted at a set point, its a serious hindrance against your wanting to continue on. If your advancement in your chosen field is halted before the game even starts... Well, that's not a good thing.

I wonder if you can lift the 'maximum is 6' rule without breaking everything.

I'm not sure anyone who knows can discuss it, but what is wrong with the 6 + modifiers at creation, then 1.5x that max during the game?
nezumi
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
I'm not sure anyone who knows can discuss it, but what is wrong with the 6 + modifiers at creation,then 1.5x that max during the game?

From what we're seeing, 1.5x that isn't available in the rules. If you're suggesting it as a house rule, well I'll drink to that. In fact, the current SR3 rules (you can advance to 1.5x natural limit for 3Xnew value) work very well for me.

I'm still with holding my views on how well this edition turned out. I like some changes, I'm uncertain on others. Unfortunately, the ones I"m uncertain on are the real big changes.

Nezumi Hebereke - Enjoying the SR Release party in spirits.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
I'm not sure anyone who knows can discuss it, but what is wrong with the 6 + modifiers at creation,then 1.5x that max during the game?

From what we're seeing, 1.5x that isn't available in the rules. If you're suggesting it as a house rule, well I'll drink to that. In fact, the current SR3 rules (you can advance to 1.5x natural limit for 3Xnew value) work very well for me.

I'm still with holding my views on how well this edition turned out. I like some changes, I'm uncertain on others. Unfortunately, the ones I"m uncertain on are the real big changes.

Nezumi Hebereke - Enjoying the SR Release party in spirits.

Well I'm unsure why there is a limit on both Atributes AND skills, it'd seem that one or the other would be adaquite, I'm curious as to why this is in there?

Had my release party wenesday, you guys are having yours late (Although I suspect yours will have more to do with the release) smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I don't understand a skill cap. So a great dragon like Ghostwalker is going to have spell casting six huh? Even though he has thousands of years of experience, he 's only as good as a 'modern' mage ? bull
L.D
The skill cap is my biggest problem with SR4 and as soon as we start playing I'm houseruleing it away.
fistandantilus4.0
ditto. Maybe make it harder, as they're getting more dice with attributes, it can be a balance issue. but the idea that a great dragon can never be better at spell casting than a street mage, except for with his sheer will, having nothing to do with skill, is just ridiculous.
Zen Shooter01
This skill cap issue reminds me of a common theme on the Dumpshock boards, which is a GM posting, "My player has an Initiate 7 with quickened everything, Control Actions 13, Fireball 13, and a Power Focus 9. How do I control him?"

My answer is, don't give him a ton of karma and nuyen in the first place.

As long as skills still get more and more expensive the higher the level, skill levels will control themselves. Keep karma scarce enough and very few players are going to shell out 18 karma to jack their Pistols to 9 from 8, which is statistically speaking very little bang for the buck.

And I was never afraid of Pistols 9 anyway (or Sorcery, or Negotiation, etc.). Sure, you're the best pistol shot in Seattle, but that doesn't help you notice a claymore mine. Or survive Ball Lightning. Or notice that you've been betrayed.

Skill caps are totally artificial.

SL James
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Aug 20 2005, 12:36 AM)
I don't understand a skill cap. So a great dragon like Ghostwalker is going to have spell casting six huh? Even though he has thousands of years of experience,  he 's only as good as a 'modern' mage ? bull

The list looks pretty much confined to the context of metahumans, which last I checked, great dragons are not.

Ghostwalker probably has Spellcasting and Conjuring Skill Groups at 12!!!
Nerbert
I think that it will be found that skill and attribute caps lead to better rounded characters in the long run. If you do make the sacrifice and have one specific that that you are the supreme master of, it means there's dozens of things that you're not even particularly good at. Some of that stuff is useful for anyone; Dodge, Etiquete, Stealth, there's probably a half a dozen more. And that all burns Karma, fast. Especially if you're only giving out three to five per session.
FrostyNSO
Nerbert, who cares if it makes a better rounded character?

Some people devote their entire lives to being the best at one thing, at the expense of others. That's how some people are. Placing an artificial cap on something that will make you only so good as the other guy who maxed out that skill is completely bogus.
SL James
Depends on the frequency of sessions and the commitment to the game.

Regardless, I can easily see a 200 karma PC pretty much halt any further advancement if you create a character with that goal in mind. Sure, it may be a few years off but I like the idea that if I really wanted I could have a PC with a Pistols skill of 18.

I'm looking at the chargen rules and wondering how some of these rules are supposed to make thing easier, or if they're just supposed to nerf the players.
L.D
The thing is that I've rarely seen anyone raise their skill above 6 in SR3, but... I still want my players to have that possiblity.
Nerbert
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Aug 20 2005, 02:30 AM)
Nerbert, who cares if it makes a better rounded character?

Some people devote their entire lives to being the best at one thing, at the expense of others.  That's how some people are.  Placing an artificial cap on something that will make you only so good as the other guy who maxed out that skill is completely bogus.

But thats nonsense, because no matter how big the number is, you're only ever as good as another person with the same number. And if you want to make someone tougher, then they have to have a bigger number, but then the player just maes his number bigger and in the long run nothing is different.

Isn't it acceptable that maybe there are just limits to mortal capacity? That seems "gritty" and perfectly in line with the Shadowrun philosophy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012