Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 4: Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
NeoJudas
QUOTE (apple)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 24 2005, 02:22 PM)
You spend no karma there unless adding new spells, and even those only cost 5 karma each.

Only? Many Spells in SR3 were very useful just with force 1-4.

SYL

The new magic system for spells is perhaps (IMO at least) one of the largest areas of change. When you obtain/buy a new spell formulae now, you are obtaining the formulation ... not the "FORCE LIMIT". The limit on the spell force at the time of casting is chosen at the time of casting. So if you want to cast a spell that is Force 5 one time and then the same spell at Force 8 some other time ... you may do so now. Drain Values change as do many of the mechanics for the success levels/hits with regards to Force. Additionally, determining if a spell is "mental damage" or "physical damage" for drain depends upon the Force as compared to your Magic Attribute.
blakkie
QUOTE (apple @ Aug 24 2005, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 24 2005, 02:22 PM)
You spend no karma there unless adding new spells, and even those only cost 5 karma each.

Only? Many Spells in SR3 were very useful just with force 1-4.

SYL

Some of those still had use for higher Force, if only for avoiding dispelling. They were just places where you could miser a few karma and still limp along. Or the spell was designed poorly that allowed a Force 1 spell to work small wonders (e.g. Invisibility).

Also since Force now always limits hits the usefulness some of those types of spells cast at low Force is going to drop off.
Kesh
QUOTE (NeoJudas)
QUOTE (Kesh @ Aug 23 2005, 08:43 PM)
Not sure if this is the right thread but, are their rules for playing a Ghoul or other humanoid in the critters section? BP cost?

It was mentioned at the "Whats Up with FanPro" seminar that rules for alternative character types such as Ghouls (I heard Rob say "infected" and had to ask "what the....?" myself), Shapeshifters, etc... *MIGHT* be in an upcoming book (Running Wild??? did I hear that right?).

The rules for such are not currently in the SR4 Core book.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the replies!
Nimbex
QUOTE (NeoJudas)
I have to admit something here, I keep looking for "limits" to how many targets can be defended using the new rules. I realize the "within LOS" limitation exists, but let's say for instance the magician is trying to protect a whole crowd of people that are immediately in front of him from being negatively influenced by a <insert fave evil bad guy with mental manipulations here>. Does this mean one magician can protect 100 people as evenly as s/he can protect one provided they are in LOS?

I didn't see a rule in the book. My inclination is to allow [Magic Rating] targets in addition to oneself. That's probably enough to work well for a typical team, and I believe has precedent?
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Nimbex)
I didn't see a rule in the book.  My inclination is to allow [Magic Rating] targets in addition to oneself.  That's probably enough to work well for a typical team, and I believe has precedent?

I'm not sure if it has precedent, but it would be one of the two limits I would personally impose were I to do so. The other might be the use of the Intuition attribute as that is somewhat the limitation on what you can track. Perhaps use the Intuition + Perception as the actual/total number in such a limitation if your GM chooses to do so.

On the other hand, the next time my mage gets caught in a magical firefight in a stadium with lots of people it would be nice to say "I'm Counterspelling Defense for everyone in the section around me" just to minimalize collateral damage (and thus hits on Reputation).
Dashifen
Browsed through the thread so forgive me if I missed this answer. Did anyone else notice on page 189 under Initiation it says:

Only characters with the Magician or Adept qualities may initiatie.
Emphasis mine.

This seems to explicitly state that Mystic Adepts can't initate? I guess the authors could have felt that the Mystic Adepts were implied as they are a little of column A and a little of column B. Did anyone find anything that says specifically that Mystic Adepts can initiate?
Kyoto Kid
As to starting adept powers, since the costs are going to be relatively the same as SR3 one would almost have to purchase her magic up to 6 during character creation to get the basic set of powers needed to survive:

Improved Initiative 2 (3 PP)
Improved ability - physical skill +2 (.5 PP)
Improved ability - combat skill +2 (1 PP)
Mystic armour +2 (1 PP)
one other power at .5PP

One more question:

Can adepts still purchase additional power points directly with Karma as in SR3 or do they just increase their magic attribute?
blakkie
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Browsed through the thread so forgive me if I missed this answer. Did anyone else notice on page 189 under Initiation it says:

Emphasis mine.

This seems to explicitly state that Mystic Adepts can't initate? I guess the authors could have felt that the Mystic Adepts were implied as they are a little of column A and a little of column B. Did anyone find anything that says specifically that Mystic Adepts can initiate?

My money is on this belonging in the Errata thread.
Dashifen
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Aug 24 2005, 02:36 PM)

I hope so. Magician Adept initiation was always a problematic thing due to bad wording but to remove it entirely would be a bit draconian!
nick012000
Can mundane characters Awaken by buying the Magician, Adept, or mystical Adept qualities, then increasing Magic?
Derek
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Aug 24 2005, 02:36 PM)
Browsed through the thread so forgive me if I missed this answer.  Did anyone else notice on page 189 under Initiation it says:

Emphasis mine.

Out of curiosity, do you really read that statement as meaning that Mystic Adepts cannot initiate? I mean, honestly, and no offense intended, but it really looks like you are picking things apart word by word and trying to dig for meaing when there isn't.

I mean, look at the spirit of it. Do you think the spirit was to imply that mundance charactrers could not initiate, in conjunction with another place in the rulebook where it states that the magician and/or adept qualities can not be bought after character creation, or do you really think they meant to say mystic adepts could not initiate, and if they did mean that, don't you think that they might say "Mystic Adepts, due to the unique nature of their magic, blah, blah, blah... can not initiate"

Derek
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Derek @ Aug 24 2005, 05:53 PM)
Out of curiosity, do you really read that statement as meaning that Mystic Adepts cannot initiate?  I mean, honestly, and no offense intended, but it really looks like you are picking things apart word by word and trying to dig for meaing when there isn't.

When trying to find Erratum, you have to, by necessity, pick it apart word for word. After all, since they can fix it in future printings, why not? It is a valid Erratum, I think, and leaves an unintended interpretation into the mix.

You cannot purchase the Magic/Resonance-related qualities after character creation (There is specific language which does not allow this). Thus, you can't "Awaken" or become a Technomancer by buying the Quality afterwards. As always, GM's have the final say, and each game will have their own house rules.
Can adepts still purchase additional power points directly with Karma as in SR3 or do they just increase their magic attribute?
As stated previously in the thread, they cannot buy power points. They must increase their magic attribute.
tisoz
QUOTE (NeoJudas)
I have to admit, this (ritual rules) is something I hope has more expansion for "alternative rules" in the upcoming Street Magic book, because quite frankly if these are the new rules ... wow, I know I'll be using them a LOT for villains in upcoming games.

Ritual magic uses the new teamwork rules, unless the target is out of sight, then a spotter is needed. Funny it now needs its own seperate skill. Should teamwork be a seperate skill for any other skill use?

Like I said, powering down magic, this time by requiring more BP/karma to be spread among more skills.

The 5 karma for a new spell seems high at this point, because one used to be able to astral quest to reduce karma cost for new spells. Lets hope that option remains in the supplement.
tisoz
They tried to fix the language for Permanent spells, saying,
Permanent spells must be sustained for a short time, after which their effects become "natural" and no longer require magic or concentration to maintain.

Somehow, I think people will still argue they act like sustained spells during the sustaining period, and during that time effects are present. I wish this had been clarified either way.
JBlades
QUOTE (Dashifen)

Emphasis mine.

The second word in "Mystic Adept" is "adept". Therefore, wouldn't they be included in the statement that people with the Adept quality can initiate? I think your just limiting your interpretation of the statement in your head... wink.gif
tisoz
I think it should get clarified either way.
Space Ghost
Is there a different cost for the Mystic Adept quality, or is it the same as the garden variety adept? If the latter is true, then there's no problem.
Shinobi Killfist

how do damage manip spells(or I saw them, called indirect combat spells I believe in a previous post) work. In 3rd edition they kinda sucked IMO, there drain costs were exorbitant for the effects gained. Yet since that was the only way to get elemental effects I dug them. Also the 4 target number was kinda cool. Now everything has a 5 TN not 4 not body etc. So how do these spells work, and how is that different from I guess direct combat spells?
hobgoblin
hey, dont forget that between SR2 and SR3 they ripped the spell grounding rules out of the game with no explanation what so ever.

compared to that i would say the conjuring rules are kinda coverd as i belive there was a group of mages and shamans working on a unified magical theory in one of the latest books...

but this isnt realy the place to discuss this, rant threads about changes are below nyahnyah.gif
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hey, dont forget that between SR2 and SR3 they ripped the spell grounding rules out of the game with no explanation what so ever.

compared to that i would say the conjuring rules are kinda coverd as i belive there was a group of mages and shamans working on a unified magical theory in one of the latest books...

but this isnt realy the place to discuss this, rant threads about changes are below nyahnyah.gif

your right, I edited my post to remove that part. I didn't intend it as a rant, just idle blathering but I can see how it could be misinterpreted and this is the wrong thread for that.
Space Ghost
Does Mystic Armor stack with other armor?
tisoz
QUOTE (Space Ghost)
Is there a different cost for the Mystic Adept quality, or is it the same as the garden variety adept? If the latter is true, then there's no problem.

They have different costs.

The adepts section has a subsection about mystic adepts, so I would say that is why they lumped them together in initiation.

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist)
how do damage manip spells(or I saw them, called indirect combat spells I believe in a previous post) work. In 3rd edition they kinda sucked IMO, there drain costs were exorbitant for the effects gained. Yet since that was the only way to get elemental effects I dug them. Also the 4 target number was kinda cool. Now everything has a 5 TN not 4 not body etc. So how do these spells work, and how is that different from I guess direct combat spells?

They work like ranged attacks, Magic + spellcasting vs Reactiion. If the caster gets any net successes, then the target gets to resisit damage with Body + half Impact armor + possible counterspelling. Looks like all the drain codes are +2 compared to similar (P or S) direct combat spells.

QUOTE (Space Ghost)
Does Mystic Armor stack with other armor?

Yes.
Phoniex
Just wanted to mention that you can no longer caste spells through ANY vision magnification devices, even optic binoculars. No more fiber optics either. BUT it did not say that you had to take range penalitys into account when casting spells. If your target is in LOS, NUKE um wink.gif

Also counterspelling (ie spell defense) is much stronger now and can be used passively to much greater effect. Though it too is based off LOS now.
maeel
what adept powers are there anyway??
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Phoniex)
Just wanted to mention that you can no longer caste spells through ANY vision magnification devices, even optic binoculars. No more fiber optics either.

That dosen't sound right, as 'magesight' or something goggles were discussed earlier, involving 'fiber optics' that let you cast spells around a corner. Can you double check that?
Grinder
QUOTE (NeoJudas)
The new magic system for spells is perhaps (IMO at least) one of the largest areas of change.  When you obtain/buy a new spell formulae now, you are obtaining the formulation ... not the "FORCE LIMIT".  The limit on the spell force at the time of casting is chosen at the time of casting.  So if you want to cast a spell that is Force 5 one time and then the same spell at Force 8 some other time ...

We had that as a houserule in SR3 and it worked out fine. The karma cost had been 6 though.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Phoniex)
Just wanted to mention that you can no longer caste spells through ANY vision magnification devices, even optic binoculars. No more fiber optics either. BUT it did not say that you had to take range penalitys into account when casting spells. If your target is in LOS, NUKE um wink.gif

This is incorrect. p324 shows three ways you can use fiberoptics or mirrors to "shoot around corners" as it were. p173 only refers to technological visual aids that substitute for your own senses, just like in SR3. All methods of extending your LOS around cover give a -3 dice penalty. Also, while Range penalties may not apply, all standard visual modifiers (including cover, Visibility, etc.) still count for the spellcasting test (p173).
tisoz
Yes casting through visiual aids is still around. Vision magnification is available for binoculars, contact lenses, glasses, goggles a monocle, periscope or mage sight goggles. It even says in its description, "...optical (ideal for spellcasting at distant targets)...".
blakkie
Just checking; What sources of Attribute boosting works for increasing Attributes in regards to casting, summoning, etc. For example i assume that hermetics do not get to include the extra Logic from a Cerebral Booster when resisting drain. True?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
Just checking; What sources of Attribute boosting works for increasing Attributes in regards to casting, summoning, etc. For example i assume that hermetics do not get to include the extra Logic from a Cerebral Booster when resisting drain. True?

Actually, there is no language that forbids using the bonus Logic dice from either a Cerebral Booster or an Increase Logic spell for the purposes of resisting Drain. You can have a Hermetic with a Rating 3 Cerebral Booster running around that gets +3 dice for Drain resistance. However, keep in mind that it reduces your Magic attribute, which is much more important than it was before (and it was pretty darn important before).
maeel
question: can the 'exceptional attribute' quality be applied to magic ?
Triggerz
QUOTE (maeel)

hehe That's a good question!!!

I have another one: Can physads have a mentor spirit? If so, what kind of bonus does/would/could it give? I assume it's mostly meant for spellcasters, but at the same time, I don't quite see why adepts couldn't. There were totemic adepts or something like that before, right?
blakkie
QUOTE (Triggerz @ Aug 25 2005, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (maeel @ Aug 25 2005, 08:10 PM)

hehe That's a good question!!!

I have another one: Can physads have a mentor spirit? If so, what kind of bonus does/would/could it give? I assume it's mostly meant for spellcasters, but at the same time, I don't quite see why adepts couldn't. There were totemic adepts or something like that before, right?

Magicians Way Adept, which is now called Mystic Adept. They are casters. I certainly hope those can have a totem.

P.S. Is there any language that forbids taking the Adept Quality and the mage Quality?
tisoz
QUOTE (maeel @ Aug 25 2005, 07:10 PM)

No, it is for Physical and Mental stats only, not edge, not resonance, not magic.
QUOTE (Triggerz)
Can physads have a mentor spirit? If so, what kind of bonus does/would/could it give?

Any magically active character can have a mentor spirit if they buy the quality.

Bear gives a +2 dice modifier for resisting Physical damage, Cat gives +2 to gynastics or infiltration tests, Dark King gives +2 for Perception tests, Dragonslayer gets a +2 for tests with one Social Skill of choice, Moon Maiden gets +2 to Negotiation, Rat gets +2 for infiltration tests and +2 for resisting disease and poisons, Sea gives a +2 for swimming tests, Seductress gives a +2 for Con tests, Thunderbird grants a +2 for intimidation tests, and Trickster gets a +2 for Con.

QUOTE (blakkie)
P.S. Is there any language that forbids taking the Adept Quality and the mage Quality?

Yes, it is expressly forbidden.
Spookymonster
Please tell me those aren't the only totem choices...
SL James
QUOTE (tisoz)
Cat gives +2 to gynastics or infiltration tests

I'm making a Cat sneaky Adept!
blakkie
QUOTE (Spookymonster @ Aug 25 2005, 08:54 PM)

That is only 9 of 19 Mentors that are in the BBB (compared to 17 in SR3 BBB). But given that he only listed the 2nd +2 for one of them, totems apparently all having two +2 bonuses, he was probably only listing ones that had stuff normally usable to Adepts.
Bull
QUOTE (Spookymonster)

I think there's a few others, but as has always been the case, the core book has a small selection. For once the selection goes outside the traditional "Native American Animal Totem" selction and picks a few others, which is nice.

I expect to see a bunch more pop up in Street Magic and later books.

I'm making a Cat sneaky Adept!

I'm also really happy to see that Totems were now designed with both Spellcasters and Adepts in mind. I've always felt that it made just as much sense for "Shamanic Adepts" to exist (And in fact this was always what I felt Stackpole's "Wolf" character was), but the game rules never fully supported them.

Bull
Derek
I want my voudoun Loa!

On a serious note, are there plans for other types of spellcasters/other traditions to have different spirits/different metamagic (like psionics, voudoun, bug shaman, etc...)

Derek
Triggerz
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (maeel @ Aug 25 2005, 07:10 PM)

No, it is for Physical and Mental stats only, not edge, not resonance, not magic.
QUOTE (Triggerz)
Can physads have a mentor spirit? If so, what kind of bonus does/would/could it give?

Any magically active character can have a mentor spirit if they buy the quality.

Bear gives a +2 dice modifier for resisting Physical damage, Cat gives +2 to gynastics or infiltration tests, Dark King gives +2 for Perception tests, Dragonslayer gets a +2 for tests with one Social Skill of choice, Moon Maiden gets +2 to Negotiation, Rat gets +2 for infiltration tests and +2 for resisting disease and poisons, Sea gives a +2 for swimming tests, Seductress gives a +2 for Con tests, Thunderbird grants a +2 for intimidation tests, and Trickster gets a +2 for Con.

QUOTE (blakkie)

Yes, it is expressly forbidden.

Holy!!! YESSSSSS!!! As Bull just mentioned, it's nice that they finally gave totem modifiers that would make sense for adepts too. Only one mentor spirit per magic user though, IIRC, so I guess I might have to adjust my adept a bit. He was more hermetic than shamanic, but he nevertheless uses totemic symbols as focuses for his development, sort of representing different aspect of himself or of his (yet-to-conquer) ideals. It was mostly flavour, but now that some bonuses of mentor spirits make sense for adepts, I might adjust the concept a bit.

How much does the Mentor Spirit quality costs? (It's probably on here somewhere, but the threads are getting long.)
blakkie
QUOTE (Triggerz)
How much does the Mentor Spirit quality costs? (It's probably on here somewhere, but the threads are getting long.)

It was mentioned and i think it was 5 BP, definately no more than 10BP.
Demonseed Elite
On a serious note, are there plans for other types of spellcasters/other traditions to have different spirits/different metamagic (like psionics, voudoun, bug shaman, etc...)

Different spirits, maybe. There will most definitely be overlap in spirit categories (for instance, shamans and hermetics share a bunch of spirit types they can summon), but I would not be surprised to see a few more spirit categories added to the existing six. Blood spirits, for instance, could be one. I'm quite sure that they would follow the existing spirit rules, though. Just likely with different stats and an assortment of different powers.

Likewise, I'm sure we'll see more metamagic techniques, but I don't think you'll see them limited to just a single tradition. Though some metamagic techniques will probably be more common to one tradition to another, and they very likely have different ways of expressing the metamagic.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Derek)
I want my voudoun Loa!

Derek

I have to admit, I kinda had to stop one of the other players from the HHH.com group from asking Rob/Adam this at the "What's Up Seminar" at Gencon. I'm fairly certain suggestions for traditions will come along, but nothing else of real significance.

On the flipside, our own "House Rules" for "Psionics" will finally get some serious redrafting taking from material that does work in SR4

And on semi-unrelated note, I'm working on my "core opinion" post for SR4 now that I'm pretty much done with the new core book and have thrown some scenarios around. Just have to find a place to put it.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Derek)

The system gives a basic set of guidelines for making alternate traditions. It really comes down to selecting the spirits and choosing a drain-resisting attribute.

I expect the Magic book, or possibly the Critters book, to add additional spirit types that might be more appropriate as Loas.
hahnsoo
Looking at Combat Sense p198, I find it very difficult to believe that it's an Active/Psychic spell. I think it should be Passive/Psychic, looking in the spell description of the effect and the sheer mechanics of the spell in question. Otherwise, you'll be rolling lots of Opposed tests, something that should only be reserved for things like Detect Individual or Mind Probe.
NeoJudas
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Looking at Combat Sense p198, I find it very difficult to believe that it's an Active/Psychic spell. I think it should be Passive/Psychic, looking in the spell description of the effect and the sheer mechanics of the spell in question. Otherwise, you'll be rolling lots of Opposed tests, something that should only be reserved for things like Detect Individual or Mind Probe.

Yeah, one of the guys here noticed that one in our group as well.
Triggerz
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 22 2005, 04:09 AM)
I see that Improved Ability survived into Fourth (like I assumed), but I was wondering if it's just for individual skills or if there's a set of Improved Ability powers for the various Skill Groups that would cost 1 or 1.5 or more power points for each extra dice.

Improved ability is just for individual skills, but you can purchase Improved Ability and have it apply to a skill that's rolled into a skill group (i.e. Firearms Skill group of 4 and Improved Ability Pistols +2 would give you Agility + 6 dice for Pistols and Agility + 4 dice for everything else).
Also, can I assume there is an Improved Dodge of some sorts, or something that perhaps does what Combat Sense does in Third Edition?
0.5 per die. Combat Sense is totally evil now. Not only does it give you dice in Surprise tests, but it adds directly to your Reaction for the purposes of the Ranged/Melee attack opposed test while defending. It's better than Improved Ability (Dodge), because you can use it in all situations, not just full defense.

So... just out of curiosity, how high can it go? How many dice can you get to defend against, say someone who shoots at you or takes a swing at you with a battleaxe? Can an adept get both combat sense and improved dodge? How about increase reaction and
improved reflexes? (I think the latter adds to reaction, right?)

Declare attack, apply situational modifiers, make opposed test, Compare armor, damage resistance test, apply damage.
Ranged combat summary:
attacker rolls Agility + combat skill +/- modifiers
defender rolls reaction +/- modifiers (defender using full defense rolls Reaction + Dodge +/- modifiers)
DV modifiers: net hits, ammunition, autofire
Armor used: ballistic or impact
Condition monitor used Physical or Stun
(Talia Invierno)

Does your melee combat skill count at all when defending in melee? I would assume so, but it's still fuzzy in my head: I haven't seen any melee combat example yet. Say you have improved (melee combat skill) maxed out, plus combat sense, improved dodge, increase reaction and improved reflexes all maxed out, how many dice could you roll in melee if you choose a full defense? I know a starting character can't have all of this, but I'm curious to see how big a difference magic can make in SR4 melee combat.
hahnsoo
When defending against a melee attack, you use Reaction + appropriate Melee skill or Reaction + Dodge.

Although there's many ways to "stack" attribute/skill dice, remember that there is a hard cap of 1.5 times the maximum possible rating of the attribute or skill. Improved Ability does not count toward this hard cap for skills, so the highest possible you can see for a human is 9 + 9 + 7 or 25 dice (with a probable +2 for smartlink and any available Take Aim actions).
Triggerz
So Combat Sense boosts reaction rather than give bonus dice as a specialization or Improved (Skill) does?
tisoz
It can go higher, believe me.

Agility of 7 for elf.

Exceptional attribute quality puts it to 8.

1.5 x 8 = 12

Muscle toner 4 to actually get Agility 12. (Or Improved Physical Attribute adept power.)

Increase attribute spell is limited by Force must meet or exceed the (augmented) value of the attribute. The attribute is increased by an amount equal to the hits scored. (Ritual spellcasting?) Sustaining focus. + at least 12 for the example.

Skill of 6

Aptitude for skill, +1 = 7

Improved ability adept power 7.

Analyze Device: allows the subject to analyze the purpose and operation of a device or piece of equipment within range of the sense.Must beat the items obj. res.. Each net success gives the subject a bonus die while operating the device.

Another + 10 for the example?

Reflex recorder +1.

Smartlink +2

Weapon specialization +2

Aim +?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012