Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 4: Magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Bull
Feel free to ask questions, I and the others familiar with SR4 will try and answer questions when we can, and try to keep the thread on topic. smile.gif
Sabosect
Okay. Got a list of spells available in this version?
Babel
How has Increase Reflexes changed with SR4? Is there still multiple versions of it (+1-3)?

What metamagic powers are available and what benefits do they provide?

How has astral perception and projection changed?
Bull
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Okay. Got a list of spells available in this version?

I don;t have a text version handy, and I'm not about to type up a big list of spells, sorry smile.gif

Generally though, it seems to be similar to the spell selection from SR3 core book. The only thing that really jumped out at me is that both Petrify and Turn To Goo are in the core book again smile.gif

Bull
Bull
QUOTE (Babel)
How has Increase Reflexes changed with SR4? Is there still multiple versions of it (+1-3)?

What metamagic powers are available and what benefits do they provide?

How has astral perception and projection changed?

Increase Reflexes: The effects are now identical to Wired Reflexes and the Adept version of Wired, so + to both Initative and Passes. There is only one version of the spell now, and it appears you choose which "bonus" you want to cast at. Each increase has a higher Threshold you have to meet, and +3 is teh highest it can go.

Metamagic: Umm, there's a handful of techniques included in the core book, most seem similar to their SR3 counterparts.

Atral Stuff doesn;t appear to have changed any.

Bull
the_dunner
I believe this is a complete list of spells, sorted alphabetically:

(Critter) Form
Acid Stream
Analyze Device
Analyze Truth
Antidote
Armor
Ball Lightning
Blast
Chaos
Chaotic World
Clairaudience
Clairvoyance
Clout
Combat Sense
Confusion
Control Actions
Control Emotions
Control Thoughts
Cure Disease
Death Touch
Decrease [Attribute]
Detect [Life Form]
Detect [Life Form], Extended
Detect [Object]
Detect Enemies
Detect Enemies, Extended
Detect Individual
Detect Life
Detect Life, Extended
Detect Magic
Detect Magic, Extended
Detox
Entertainment
Fireball
Flamethrower
Fling
Heal
Hibernate
Hush
Ice Sheet
Ignite
Improved Invisibility
Increase [Attribute]
Increase Reflexes
Influence
Invisibility
Knockout
Levitate
Light
Lightning Bolt
Magic Fingers
Mana Barrier
Manaball
Manabolt
Mask
Mass Confusion
Mind Probe
Mindlink
Mob Control
Mob Mind
Mob Mood
Oxygenate
Petrify
Phantasm
Physical Barrier
Physical Mask
Poltergeist
Powerball
Powerbolt
Prophylaxis
Punch
Resist Pain
Shadow
Shapechange
Shatter
Silence
Stabilize
Stealth
Stunball
Stunbolt
Toxic Wave
Trid Entertainment
Trid Phantasm
Turn to Goo
Bull
And you say *I* have too much time on my hands smile.gif

Bull
Sabosect
Um... wow. Right as I was about to thank for him at least assuring me of what to expect.

In any case, thank you both.
Alvorn
Can you explain magic loss a little further. In particular buying back magic after you have lost it. So I start with a Magic at 4. Add some cyberware, takes it down to 3. Earn me some karma during a session, I want to boost my Magic back up. Do I pay for it as though it was going back to 4 or up to 5 ? Can you just pay for it this way or do you need to do an ordeal ? Can I choose to "initate" even though I only have 3 magic ?
SL James
I see that Improved Ability survived into Fourth (like I assumed), but I was wondering if it's just for individual skills or if there's a set of Improved Ability powers for the various Skill Groups that would cost 1 or 1.5 or more power points for each extra dice.

That'd be really nice. That way I can make a melee master who is actually a master of all melee and not most melee, and then really good at Blades or Unarmed.

Also, can I assume there is an Improved Dodge of some sorts, or something that perhaps does what Combat Sense does in Third Edition?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 22 2005, 04:09 AM)
I see that Improved Ability survived into Fourth (like I assumed), but I was wondering if it's just for individual skills or if there's a set of Improved Ability powers for the various Skill Groups that would cost 1 or 1.5 or more power points for each extra dice.

Improved ability is just for individual skills, but you can purchase Improved Ability and have it apply to a skill that's rolled into a skill group (i.e. Firearms Skill group of 4 and Improved Ability Pistols +2 would give you Agility + 6 dice for Pistols and Agility + 4 dice for everything else).
Also, can I assume there is an Improved Dodge of some sorts, or something that perhaps does what Combat Sense does in Third Edition?
0.5 per die. Combat Sense is totally evil now. Not only does it give you dice in Surprise tests, but it adds directly to your Reaction for the purposes of the Ranged/Melee attack opposed test while defending. It's better than Improved Ability (Dodge), because you can use it in all situations, not just full defense.
hobgoblin
sounds to me like a tricked out adept may well be able to take on a compareable sammie any day and win...
hahnsoo
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
sounds to me like a tricked out adept may well be able to take on a compareable sammie any day and win...

Well, Reaction Enhancers and most initiative boosters do almost the same thing... add directly to Reaction. I think that's the most effective (and expensive) route to go. A sammy with any level of Wired and several Reaction Enhancers could easily hit their Reaction attribute cap. Adepts also can hit this cap pretty easily with their powers.
SL James
Dude, it sound like Adepts can dodge bullets now.

Anyway, that's interesting. I saw someone take the info from another thread and convert a Speaker's Way Adept with 100 karma into a terrible beast of destruction with Negotiations.
Crusher Bob
What attribute cap? does this mean that adept power and ware can no longer give you supertroll stats? A human with reaction 6 adds wired 1, does his reaction go to 7 or stay at 6?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Aug 22 2005, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 22 2005, 05:06 AM)

Well, Reaction Enhancers and most initiative boosters do almost the same thing... add directly to Reaction. I think that's the most effective (and expensive) route to go. A sammy with any level of Wired and several Reaction Enhancers could easily hit their Reaction attribute cap. Adepts also can hit this cap pretty easily with their powers.

i was more thinking in terms that with improved ability the adept can get more dice in a test then a sammie can ever get. point is that a sammie can get at most attrib+skill+edge while a adept can get attrib+skill+imp. ability+edge.

it may npt be much but wonder if not it will have some effect.

still, maybe one should have this forked into a diffrent thread as these posts may be on the edge of whats the point of this thread...

btw, does edge have a hard cap or can it go for ever?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Aug 22 2005, 05:16 AM)
What attribute cap?  does this mean that adept power and ware can no longer give you supertroll stats?  A human with reaction 6 adds wired 1, does his reaction go to 7 or stay at 6?

The augmented Reaction cap is 9 for everyone but Dwarves (which is at 7). Thus, your maximum Reaction will probably be a 9. A human with a Reaction 6 and Wired 1 will have a Reaction of 7.

I don't want to get into the "Adept vs. Sammie" debate (which has been going on through time immemorial), but I'd still say they can be pretty much evenly matched after character creation, especially with the addition of Bioware at character creation. Realize that while an Adept may have greater skill dice, a Sammie can more easily max out their Agility attribute and have some fairly good bioware options to add bonus dice as well.

Edge does have a hard cap of 6 (7 for humans), unless you get the Lucky quality (which bumps it up by one).
Serbitar
Is Reaction capped at 9 even when you got this extra thing so your unmodified limit is 7 ?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Serbitar)
Is Reaction capped at 9 even when you got this extra thing so your unmodified limit is 7 ?

Ah, good point. If you get Exceptional Attribute, you can boost your augmented Reaction rating to 10.
Crusher Bob
So the max augmented stat is your 'normal' max +3?
SL James
Oh, swell.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
So the max augmented stat is your 'normal' max +3?

Racial Max * 1.5, round down.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James @ Aug 22 2005, 05:05 AM)
Oh, swell.

*points to the sign hanging overhead*

Remember, this is the Questions Without Whining isle. The Nashing of Teeth isle, for all you moaning pleasure, is below. wink.gif

Back On Topic:

* Are background counts and/or mana warps covered, and roughly speaking how do they screw with magic now

EDIT: ....and does background count screw with all Adepts powers, and is any effect on Technos mentioned

* Does ongoing sustaining of spells cost you -2 dice to all actions?

* Can you cast more than one spell in a Complex Action (simultaneous cast) and what is the penalty for it

* How long does it take for Heal to come into effect, do you have to sustain it over several rounds/seconds/minutes?
Annihilator
In previous editions you had to roll for magic loss if getting a deadly wound or on certain other occasions (first aid without the +2 mage modifier,...).

How does this work in SR4 and when do you have to roll for magic loss?
hahnsoo
Background counts are not covered in SR4.

Each sustained spell gives you -2 Dice for all of your actions.

You can cast multiple spells in a single action, but you must split your Spellcasting + Magic dice among all of the spells that you cast, and the drain value for each of the spells is increased by 1 point for every additional spell.

The duration that Permanent spells need to be sustained is equal to twice the Drain Value of the spell (which for Heal is the Damage Level of the target -2). Each point of Essence Loss on the target reduces the dice pool for the Spellcasting test by 1.

A special note about area-effect spells: Radius is now equal to the Force of the spell.
EDIT: Oh boy. The text on p173 and p195 contradict each other. p173, under the description of area spells, uses Force for the Radius, while p195 says Magic rating.
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Aug 22 2005, 05:46 AM)
You can cast multiple spells in a single action, but you must split your Spellcasting + Magic dice among all of the spells that you cast, and the drain value for each of the spells is increased by 1 point for every additional spell.

Is size of the split of the dice at caster choice?

Other than that, it sounds like casting two spells of significant power at once is more the territory of a GD or maybe a high grade Initiate that has spent the [huge gobs of] karma to raise their Magic. However with Edge you should be able to confidantly pull off a couple of small utilities or maybe even a powerful one and a utility. Does that sound like a good assessment?

The duration that Permanent spells need to be sustained is equal to twice the Drain Value of the spell (which for Heal is the Damage Level of the target -2). Each point of Essence Loss on the target reduces the dice pool for the Spellcasting test by 1.

Twice the Drain Value (before or after drain check?) in what unit of time? Also, if it the Drain Value before the drain check is there a way to speed it up? (Like maybe my drain check is used to reduce time but not the actual drain damage? *looks hopeful*)
hahnsoo
Twice the Drain Value before Drain is reduced by the Drain resistance test, and in intervals of 1 Combat Turn. Most permanent spells allow you to use hits to reduce the time by 1 Combat Turn instead of adding to the primary effect.
Spookymonster
How does Invisibility work now?

[edit]
Oh, and what are Magesight goggles?
morlock76

To whom does that apply?
In SR3 we had that cap for Adept Improved Attribute as well as Bioware.
Cyberware was capable of surpassing that limit.

Any changes there?

P.S.: Sorry, bit of a cross topic.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Spookymonster @ Aug 22 2005, 08:21 AM)
How does Invisibility work now?

Invisibility affects the minds of viewers, while Improved Invisibility actually warps light around the user. Since hits (successes) are limited by Force, you definitely need higher than a Force 1. Invisibility works as an additional "buffer" for sneaking around... the person must first pierce the illusion by getting equal or more hits on their Willpower (mana illusions) or Intuition (physical illusions) than the spellcaster got on his/her spellcasting test, then they must do a Perception Test normally if the invisible character was using Infiltration/Shadowring to sneak. If the illusion is resisted, then you can attack the "invisible" character normally without the Target Hidden modifier.

Note that against technological sensors, you need to beat the Object Resistance threshold number. This means 3 hits for most standalone cameras and electronics (laser tripwires or whatnot) and 4 hits for computers, vehicle sensors, and drones. They don't get to resist, being non-living objects.

Goggles with a fiberoptic cable on them, to cast around corners.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (morlock76)

To whom does that apply?
In SR3 we had that cap for Adept Improved Attribute as well as Bioware.
Cyberware was capable of surpassing that limit.

Any changes there?

P.S.: Sorry, bit of a cross topic.

Everyone. There is a hard cap for maximum augmented attribute. So both sammies and adepts will have, at most, a 10 augmented Reaction and 7 natural Reaction (but only if you have Exceptional Attribute: Reaction).
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Aug 22 2005, 07:35 AM)
Goggles with a fiberoptic cable on them, to cast around corners.

Can opponent mages fire spells back down them? Or are they mirrored or have a much smaller openning looking out that you can't effectively see back in (like a security peephole).
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
Can opponent mages fire spells back down them? Or are they mirrored or have a much smaller openning looking out that you can't effectively see back in (like a security peephole).

Are you joking? Tell me you're joking. It works identically to the systems presented in both SR2 (Corporate Security Handbook) and SR3. So, no, you can't chuck a fireball down fiberoptics unless you have full view of the target's aura.
nezumi
I'd presume the enemy mage wouldn't be able to shoot 'down' an opposing mage's fiber optic cable, unless (possibly) he was right in front of said cable and peering down it. I'm guessing the cable will be a few hairs thick with a lens at the end, so it'd be a bit hard to see through it the wrong way.
Spookymonster
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Invisibility affects the minds of viewers, while Improved Invisibility actually warps light around the user.

Does the spell description actually say that it warps light? If so, that not only kills the 'illusions don't manipulate light' holy war but opens up a whole new branch of 'visual aid' spells (mirror spells for magical trick-shooting, Detection-like spells that permit LOS for casting, and so on).
Spookymonster
Regarding Shaman and Mentor spirits:

Do you need to purchase a Mentor spirit to be a Shaman? Also, what are the benefits of having a Mentor spirit?
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
Regarding Shaman and Mentor spirits:

Do you need to purchase a Mentor spirit to be a Shaman? Also, what are the benefits of having a Mentor spirit?

To add to that: Are mentors avalible during the game, or only at creation?
blakkie
Crossing back from the Hacking thread, where i extrapoled the lack of exclusive actions the wrong way, back to here where it belongs.....

So, trying to dig back in my memory for the forbidden exclusive combinations....No more exclusive spells? You now can perform all conjuring activities while astral projecting or sustaining a spell w/o foci? You can sustain a spell w/o foci while popping into and out of astral? Likewise cast into a sustaining foci while sustaining another spell or astrally projecting?
hahnsoo
The quote says:
Improved Invisibility creates an actual warping of light around the subject that affects technological sensors as well
But remember that we don't have access to spell creation rules right now, and thus we can't really make any sort of value judgments as to whether or not one could feasibly create a spell that augments vision that can also be used to target other spells.

You can be a Shaman without a Mentor spirit, which probably means you don't follow any particular totem. You do not get Totem benefits unless you have a Mentor Spirit (in effect, the Mentor Spirit quality IS the Totem benefit part of Shamans). The bonuses for nearly all of the Mentor Spirit is a +2 to two different things (a spell category, spirit type, or a skill, like +2 Illusion Spells and +2 to Infiltration Tests), and there's always a penalty of either a Threshold 3 test to prevent from doing something (like berserker rage or strictly following a plan) or a -1 die to something (spell category, spirit type, skill, attribute test, etc.).

Mentor Spirits aren't on the "forbidden list" of qualities that they lay out for Qualities that can be taken after character creation, and nothing in the Quality description or the Mentor Spirit section of the Magic part of SR4 suggests that you can't take a Mentor Spirit later on in your career.
6thDragon
Are there idol follower totems or loa in the main book? What about blood magic and blood spirits?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (6thDragon)
Are there idol follower totems or loa in the main book? What about blood magic and blood spirits?

There are idols in the main book. No specific Loa running around in there (although the idol templates are generic enough that they could possibly be used for Loa), and definitely no blood magic.
the_dunner
QUOTE (Annihilator)
In previous editions you had to roll for magic loss if getting a deadly wound or on certain other occasions (first aid without the +2 mage modifier,...).

How does this work in SR4 and when do you have to roll for magic loss?

This is gone from SR4. (As, for that matter are deadly wounds.)
hahnsoo
But the modifier for treating a Mage/Adept in First Aid still exists. Basically, anyone who has a Magic/Resonance Attribute or has a lot of burned Essence will have First Aid penalties.
6thDragon
Do hermetic libraries and shamonic lodges still exist? What about the metamagics from the SOTAs like psychometry or sympathetic magic?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (6thDragon)
Do hermetic libraries and shamonic lodges still exist? What about the metamagics from the SOTAs like psychometry or sympathetic magic?

There are only 5 Metamagics in the Core Book. It's a Core Book, folks, and there's a "Street Magic" book coming out.

All traditions have "lodges" now, although the Hermetic lodge consists of libraries and circles and stuff. It costs 500 nuyen per Force point.
6thDragon
Will aspected mages still not be able to access the astral plane? Also, will initiation still improve your astral inititive?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (6thDragon)
Will aspected mages still not be able to access the astral plane? Also, will initiation still improve your astral inititive?

There are no Aspected Mages. You can simulate Aspected Mages buy creating a Mystic Adept and getting Astral Perception as an Adept power and sinking all of the Magic rating points into spellcasting skills, or you can drop the Astral Perception and go with all Magic rating points into spellcasting skills.

Initiate Grade does not add to Astral Initiative, which is derived from Intuition x 2.
reconsweden
QUOTE (Alvorn)
Can you explain magic loss a little further. In particular buying back magic after you have lost it. So I start with a Magic at 4. Add some cyberware, takes it down to 3. Earn me some karma during a session, I want to boost my Magic back up. Do I pay for it as though it was going back to 4 or up to 5 ? Can you just pay for it this way or do you need to do an ordeal ? Can I choose to "initate" even though I only have 3 magic ?

Did someone answer this?
tisoz
It has been asked in several threads and no one to my knowledge has answered. It does not make an exception, that I saw, for reduced attributes. So here is a loophole for staying magically active while getting implants then maxing out magic.
hahnsoo
I know that you can Initiate at any time, and your Initiate Grade cannot be higher than your Magic Rating (if it is because of Essence Loss, then you actually lose your grade). Essence Loss removes a point from both your Magic AND your Max Magic, but I haven't read any indication as to whether the Karma costs are for the current attribute or the adjusted pre-loss attribute.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012