Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arrrggg, Technomancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
gaming is fan fiction, idiot. jesus, you're dim.

I'm dim? In which way? Not being able to get my head around this being fantasy as opposed to a RL simulation?
BishopMcQ
extinguish.gif Gentlemen, Ladies,

Let's all take a deep breath. This thread is rapidly picking up speed and turning into a train wreck.
blakkie
QUOTE (McQuillan)
extinguish.gif Gentlemen, Ladies,

Let's all take a deep breath. This thread is rapidly picking up speed and turning into a train wreck.

It started out a train wreck, and 7 pages isn't going to help.
Xenith
I suddenly realize that optimism and willingness to compromise are in short supply nowadays. spin.gif
hobgoblin
this is dumpshock, so i would not say its something that have shown up nowadays...

im just glad these people are not religious and involved in politics...
Xenith
Lets not open a can of flesh eating worms we can't close.... eek.gif
hobgoblin
noted...
mintcar
rotfl.gif RPG fanatics only put people in their immediate vicinity and limited protions of the internet in jeopardy. Send a huge box of RPG´s to <insert fanatic here - any name mentioned could raise an argument> and hope it offers sufficient sublimation to take the edge of those destructive urges.
SL James
I doubt that would help.
mfb
look, blakkie, if you want to turn your brain off when you game, go right ahead. i prefer to game with my brain on, because i think SR can be--and has been in the past, and might be in the future, but isn't in the present--more than another mindless game. personally, if i want to turn my brain off, i'll go play D&D, or just plug in the X-Box. if playing SR the way i play D&D does it for you, great. have fun.

my point--the only thing i'm in this thread to say--is that the only logical explanation for technomancer abilities is magic. that's it. if you don't want to use logic, if you're fine with not thinking about it, bully for you. i'm not stopping you, i don't want to stop you. i don't care. that's not what i'm arguing. i'm not coming over to your gaming table and calling you stupid because of the way you game (though i am calling you stupid for a number of other reasons). why don't you get the fuck off my back about the way i game?
Fortune
I tend to agree (about the Technomancer part). If they just came out and said that Technimancers were, in fact Matrix Adepts, then I really wouldn't have any problem with it. Any other explanation (or lack thereof) just seems contrived.
mintcar
People more or less shrug their sholders at magic in the sixth world. Evil AI´s and ghosts in the machine, technomancers and otaku are still spooky fairytales. Why in gods name would you be in a hurry to change that question.gif question.gif question.gif
Fortune
Because, the way they are presented, there is no logical explanation for what they can do outside of Magic.
mintcar
So what?
Synner
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 20 2005, 09:24 AM)
Because, the way they are presented, there is no logical explanation for what they can do outside of Magic.

There are actually several non-magical explanations, all of them as "sensible" as being able to intuitively translate digital code and decompile the myriad programming languages and compression codes of the Sixth World with a human brain or running cyber off a body's own electrochemistry.
hobgoblin
a GM wants to know how the world ticks so that they have a firm grasp on how to present it. the players on the other hand dont want to much info, all they realy want is a name and if its dangerus or not.

so in many ways the two book approach used for say blue planet or d&d is nice when you can split the world info from the game info. the world info explains how and why everything is as it is. the game info only tells you how to play the game.

right now its to much game info and to little world info about the technomancers. and the world info that exist seems to rub the "hard" sci-fi people on this forum the wrong way. something that could be simply avoided by putting the mancers in the magic category of the world as then its just another fantasy element and dont have to be explained in the same way that a sci-fi element have to be.

just look at the amount of theories and other stuff that are trown about to cover star trek and the workings of the technology shown and then apply that to SR and one may well see the problem.

thing is tho that i feel otakus and now technomancers are there to put a kind of mystery into tech in the way that only magic have at the moment. kinda like the statement by, i belive it was, einstein: technology on a high enough level will seem like magic (not sure about the exact words but about the same content).

problem is tho, that while tech may seem mystical to a joe wageslave, its not supposed to be for a trained engineer or professor. they are more or less trained to "hate" the unexplained.

so basicly people are getting their feathers rubbed the wrong way because mancers are made to look magical but are not magical, and therefor there must be a logical explanation how they do what they do. right now there is none, some even say its physicaly impossible for them to do what the book claims they can do without it being magic.

funny thing is that some of the best cyberpunk was written by a person that didnt know what a computer was, much less how it did what it did. he just took the basic idea and ran with it. creating a world where not even the great tech companys fully knew how their products worked as it was made by AI's at so high a speed that all they could do was put it out on the market as fast as they could do.

hell, the icebreakers where written by AI's to take on the ice written by other AI's, but it was the humans that used it. the users however didnt know how it worked, only that it either did or didnt, and that they where doing what they where doing by the seat of their pants. kinda like the early pilots. they may have had a basic understanding of how things worked but most of the time it was gut instinct that made the diffrence between crash and fight.

so basicly, some like mystisism in their tech, others dont, yet others dont care as its just a game anyways. problem is tho that you cant remove the mancers without removing a large chunk of what makes up SR4. on the older versions "they" where addons in a extra book, meaning it was easyer to ignore their pressence and impact in the world.

i wonder it this makes any sense at all silly.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 20 2005, 09:24 AM)

There are actually several non-magical explanations, all of them as "sensible" as being able to intuitively translate digital code and decompile the myriad programming languages and compression codes of the Sixth World with a human brain or running cyber off a body's own electrochemistry.

i think the biggest single issue is that no know biological entity is known to be able to send radio signals 400 meters or so.

therefor the mancers would have had to spontaniusly develop this ability for scratch.

still, could it not be that somehow they didnt develop a biological radio transmitter in the conventional sense but rather turned their body into some kind of walking rfid tag?

as in, metal deposits on their bones thats able to absorb the energy of the radio waves and then reapply it to power some sort of transmitter.

given spread spectrum or whatever that someone talked about on the "why wireless" thread you dont need much juice to carry the signal 400 meters. and thats with peak technomancer ability. its not like they are a walking FM radio station with range of 100KM or more.

we are talking about 4 times the avarage wifi gear right now, and that can run of 12v easy. so, how much could one in theory gather out of the air with the right antenna the size of a human?
Crusher Bob
If that were the case, you could take a technomancer apart and point to the (extremely divergent from normal metahuman) bits of anatomy responsible and say, "Well, I don't know how it got there, but there it is." Then you can start trying to figure out how it got there. To the medical technology of SR, the modifications to the body required to make you into a radip transmitter would be about as obvious as a third eye.

AFAIK, you can't point out that bit of technomancers when you take them apart.

This would mean that Technomancers are esentailly 'matrix adepts', which is an acceptable explanation. But if you want to stick to a 'technological' one I expect some bloody radio generating organs on my desk by lunch time tomorrow.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
This would mean that Technomancers are esentailly 'matrix adepts', which is an acceptable explanation. But if you want to stick to a 'technological' one I expect some bloody radio generating organs on my desk by lunch time tomorrow.

Do they have to work? devil.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
look, blakkie, if you want to turn your brain off when you game, go right ahead. i prefer to game with my brain on, because i think SR can be--and has been in the past,

...only it wasn't because you gave example yourself. SR has been pulp fiction from the start, and i don't expect it to stop being any time soon. You ongoing instance has lead you to cut out pieces in the past that you didn't find realistic enough. Well you just found another piece...to whine, bitch, and moan about. Only this one is a bit bigger.

my point--the only thing i'm in this thread to say--is that the only logical explanation for technomancer abilities is magic. that's it.

*shrug* Then they are @%#$& magic! You don't even need to write your thesis, you can just write "Technomancers are magic" and move on...or you can wait for the metaplot to play out. I myself have said i thought that there will be some sort of mystic/astral connection. Only Technos don't appear to be awakened themselves, certainly not in the same way as Adepts and Magicians. But that isn't the only way the astral and the mystical interacts with the mundane in the 6th world. The whole string of HMVV virus strains shows a completely different aspect. Cyberzombies something different again (even though magic is part of what is used to maintain the state, doesn't make cyberzombies magical).

if you don't want to use logic, if you're fine with not thinking about it, bully for you. i'm not stopping you, i don't want to stop you. i don't care. that's not what i'm arguing. i'm not coming over to your gaming table and calling you stupid

Sure, why bother when you can do it right here?

because of the way you game (though i am calling you stupid for a number of other reasons). why don't you get the fuck off my back about the way i game?

Because you come on here and whine and bitch and moan expecting something that never really had happened, and isn't likely to happen in the future.
hobgoblin
thing is that both vampires and cyberzombies can be spotted as just that on the astral. right now technomancers (and before that otakus) register as perfectly mundane...

personaly i kinda like the unknown factor of otakus and technomancers, even tho the former got a simsense translator added to appease the screaming critics, and most likely the latter will get a implant wifi transmitter for the same reason later on...

why can magic go without explanation while technology have to be explained down to very superstrings of things?

hell, going by the latest books it my well look like the very precence of magic effects the very "laws" of physics...

[ Spoiler ]
Kagetenshi
Explain? It's possible to cause subcritical masses to blow if you subject them to enough pressure, so I hope that's not what you're talking about.

~J
mfb
QUOTE (blakkie)
SR has been pulp fiction from the start...

says you. that's how you game. that's how you view it.

QUOTE (blakkie)
Because you come on here and whine and bitch and moan expecting something that never really had happened, and isn't likely to happen in the future.

aw, poor wittle blakkie. you're so put upon, being voluntarily exposed to people bitching about a game, on a forum for that game.

QUOTE (Synner)

not really. the first is just an example of a higher-order computer emulating a lower-order computer--there's nothing mystical about that. the second is a bit of a stretch, but it's not completely impossible.
blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 20 2005, 09:37 AM)
thing is that both vampires and cyberzombies can be spotted as just that on the astral. right now technomancers (and before that otakus) register as perfectly mundane...

Not "perfectly" mundane for really good assensers. At a threshhold of 5 you can identify a Techno from a garden variety "mundane", but that is really high.
- Any other implants.
- The general cause of any emotional impression (a
murder, a riot, a religious ceremony, and so on).
- The general cause of any astral signature (combat
spell, hearth spirit, and so on).
- The fact that a subject is a technomancer.

They don't have drakes listed in the BBB, but roughly translated from Threats 2 that is about the level at which drakes are likely to be assensed as well.

So Technos show up at the same level as very difficult to sense implants and very difficult to detect magic conditions. Only they don't give a description of them as being one or the other of those, just indicating that they are discernable.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 20 2005, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
SR has been pulp fiction from the start...

says you. that's how you game. that's how you view it.

QUOTE (blakkie)

aw, poor wittle blakkie. you're so put upon, being voluntarily exposed to people bitching about a game, on a forum for that game.

Ah, poor mfb can't seem to remember all the pulp fiction in SR's past, not just the way someone "plays it", so he's gotta feel sorry for himself. Then he feels mad about being ridiculed for being sad as a result of taking a game world too damn seriously.
Jrayjoker
Knock it off. No need to start a pissing contest on who can flame harder.
mfb
*shrug* my point's pretty much made. if blakkie wants to limit himself and his games, like i said--i don't care.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
if blakkie wants to limit himself and his games

rotfl.gif
Fortune
On the topic of Technomancers using their entire bodies as transmitters, that just doesn't seem to be the case. You could easily have a 'Mancer-in-the-Box™' with no extraneous body parts and still have the same transmission range.
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune)
On the topic of Technomancers using their entire bodies as transmitters, that just doesn't seem to be the case. You could easily have a 'Mancer-in-the-Box™' with no extraneous body parts and still have the same transmission range.

'Mancer-in-the-Box™?
mfb
eh. limbs, muscle, etcetera all eat energy, not produce it (well, they do, sorta, but not in ways that can be harvested by anything other than the specific producer). a limbless technomancer would actually have more energy for his transmissions, assuming that they transmit using the body's energy sources.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
eh. limbs, muscle, etcetera all eat energy, not produce it (well, they do, sorta, but not in ways that can be harvested by anything other than the specific producer). a limbless technomancer would actually have more energy for his transmissions, assuming that they transmit using the body's energy sources.

Er, distributed power generation. There you go again limiting yourself and the game. wink.gif
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (mfb)
*shrug* my point's pretty much made. if blakkie wants to limit himself and his games, like i said--i don't care.

Couldn't just be the bigger man/woman/whatever could you mfb. Had to get that last little shot in didn't ja?

There are two conflicting styles here.

mfb - who wants every little bit explained scientificaly, and will not accept any answer that is not based on what we know of humans currently. he believes magic is the -only- possible explanation.

and then theres the grand majority of us who accept that this is a game. we accept that no one really knows what makes technomancers tick. We accept we all have a wide varried theory on how they may or may not work and weather that reason is 100% based in the science of today we don't care its fun to try to figure out how something new actualy works in relation to our favorite rpg realm. We accept that it could infact be magical as well as has been hinted that this would at somepoint happen since, at the very least, 2nd eddition shadowrun. But we're prety much content to have our own theories and guess and have fun with it (which in all honesty is what you're supposed to do with a game).

In all honesty mfb the only thing you've done in this thread is be a naysayer. Infact you prety much said the whole magic thing would be a complete cop out. Whatever dude. I enjoy thinking about the game and such. I enjoy doing all that and more. However one thing I don't do is try to press our current world upon a world thats set 65 years in the future with a different time line (though if you were to analyze our current one vs shadowrun theres a good deal of similarities especialy with privatised security [hint look at NO] and such). I don't try to press my views of how rl stuff works against stuff 65 years in the future. And I take that this is a GAME that very specificaly states that the rules are only supposed to mimic reality, but are more there for playability. They don't cover every rl situation and don't accurately portay everything either, but its a game you're supposed to have fun.

mfb if you don't like it, honestly, don't have it in your game. I, however, am going to have them in my game, they will be a mystery like they are in the BBB and I can't wait to see what happens with them when things like unwired come out. And untill those do, i'm going to make up all sorts of wierd non scientific theories for fun just to spite you and your over seriousness nyahnyah.gif
mfb
great. i'm happy for you. i'm not here to tell you how to play your game. hopefully, you're not here to tell me how to play mine. and hopefully, in the future, you'll be nonpartisan enough to note little details like how i didn't get in the last shot--which implies that i wasn't trying to get in the last shot, since nothing except banning could stop me (or anyone) from continuing to try to get it.
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb)

Yes, that's true. I was referring more to the idea that the whole body is used as an antenna. The Technomancer's body just doesn't seem to be a factor.

In fact, you could easily have a "Mancer-in-a-Jar™', with no degradation of signal strength.
mfb
ah. point. i'm not sure about the jar, though. there aren't rules in SR for replacing internal organs with cybernetics (or tubes, for that matter), so you can't really say anything about the canon effects of doing that.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Explain? It's possible to cause subcritical masses to blow if you subject them to enough pressure, so I hope that's not what you're talking about.

~J

system failure, thats all i have to say...

and blakkie, thanks for the info about technoes being detectable under assensing, that puts a whole new wrinkle on the theorys smokin.gif

looks like one problem mfb have is that they didnt come out from the go and state that technoes where magic related alltho the indications are stacked in that direction. well thats a problem when one have a active metaplot as part of the game i guess...

hmm, mancer-in-a-jar. i wonder how much metal deposits there can be in the human brain before it stops working wink.gif
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (mfb)

Sir, madame, whatever, allow me to highlight where you did indeed get in the last shot.

Now as you'll easily see above, you are insulting blakkie. Instead of just walking away and saying '*shrug* my point's pretty much made.' you decided you had to make a comment about blakkie and how he plays his games. You couldn't leave well enough alone and just say your point was made. That sir is the essence of getting in the last shot and not just being able to walk away.

Sorry if I saw through your veil of moral superiority there.
snowRaven
I'll accept the (admittedly weak) suspension of disbelief of Technomancers being more 'advanced' otaku, modified in some way to be able to sense and alter the matrix around them.

I don't really view it as if they emit strong radio signals, but rather that they manipulate existing signals in a way that makes them able to intuitively manipulate the wireless matrix (yes, I know - they would still need a certain amount of transmission strength, and it doesn't fully explain all their powers, but close enough for a pseudo-scientific explanation in the style that shadowrun id rife with, imo).

My problem is that there is no conclusive explanation of what limits a technomancer has in how they are created. Even when otaku where new (and unplayable as PCs) there was the general consensus that they were changed or awakened by something in the matrix, or perceived to be in the matrix - what was later explained as the resonance and brain-structure manipulated by AIs, to varying degrees (Mirage was more successful than Deus, for instance). They required a datajack.

Technomancers were first explained as a further alteration of the human brain by a similar process or entity within the matrix; thus requiring a datajack - but that 'fluff' seems to have been diluted, ignored or (perhaps worse) changed in the transition to SR4. Now they don't require a datajack, and cyber disrupts their abilities (alright - I'll buy either the magic angle, or the 'cyberware disrupts their signal-manipulation' angle (in which case a datajack and non-wireless matrix link should allow full resonance to be used)). But we are missing an important piece of background info here.

It's like leaving out the fact that elves and dwarves are only born, not goblinized (though there are exceptions to that too), and someone making a character who goblinized only to later found out that this is an impossibility (unless he took a dip in the Ganges).

So there is a discrepancy in the explanations, and that causes confusion and disrupts the suspension of disbelief that we do have...
snowRaven
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 20 2005, 06:10 PM)

~J

system failure, thats all i have to say...

and blakkie, thanks for the info about technoes being detectable under assensing, that puts a whole new wrinkle on the theorys smokin.gif

looks like one problem mfb have is that they didnt come out from the go and state that technoes where magic related alltho the indications are stacked in that direction. well thats a problem when one have a active metaplot as part of the game i guess...

hmm, mancer-in-a-jar. i wonder how much metal deposits there can be in the human brain before it stops working wink.gif

Except other mundane things, like disease and drug-use, can be assensed as well, so that doesn't prove technos are magic in any way...
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 21 2005, 03:13 AM)

Yes, that's true. I was referring more to the idea that the whole body is used as an antenna. The Technomancer's body just doesn't seem to be a factor.

In fact, you could easily have a "Mancer-in-a-Jar™', with no degradation of signal strength.

If there was no Essense loss....which seems a dubious assumption when put in a jar. Essense damage conditions have changed slightly, and also there has been a serious reduction in the explaination of essense, so that is hard to judge.
hobgoblin
or the confusion can be the same as the SR world feels as they dont have all the facts and are working on 50% or more guesswork.

allso, only place i know of that technomancers show up outside of SR4 is system failure (and then only as some story on the shadowland board or something). was there any rules/info on how to play them in there?

and if so, how does it differ from SR4 stuff in flavor?

thing is that as the matrix is all around them carryed on the airways, the otaku no longer have to jack in to enter the deep resonance. ie, they can be it 24/7 if they want to.

then there is the question if there was any residual effects of crash2.0 and how it can have affected the deep resonance effect.

many unknowns. and i for one like that...

only reason i can see it a problem is if one trys to spin a story about the mancers and how they work and then a sourcebook pops up and contradict that. but thats no diffrent from say you playing dunkie to be re-elected and then a book comes out and says he died right after he got sworn in the first time. thats the dangers of trying to move to far ahead of the metaplot cool.gif
mfb
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

nah, i'm not trying to say that technomancers are magical, in the game. i'm saying that magic is the only logical explanation for their abilities.

QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
Sir, madame, whatever, allow me to highlight where you did indeed get in the last shot.

so if you don't use words, it's not a response? okay. at any rate, the point isn't even tangential to the discussion, so i'm not going to discuss it further.
Fortune
Didn't think of Essence loss, but if it follows along from previous thinking on the matter, there shouldn't really be any. Losing things doesn't usually cost Essence, it's when they are replaced that it becomes a factor. I don't think being hooked up to tubes would count as replacing things in the spirit of the Essence rules.

In the end though, in my games they will be considered Matrix Adepts.
Shadow_Prophet
CODE
Th e mechanics for doing things in Shadowrun are actually
abstract guidelines for all of an individual’s actions, including
combat, vehicle movement, and even how individuals
think and react. Th ese rules are not meant to be a direct copy
of how things really work—they can’t be. We try to approximate
conditions and situations in reality as much as possible,
but that can only go so far. Th at being said, we urge you to
appreciate the rules in Shadowrun for what they are and not
stress out when they don’t simulate real life perfectly or fail to
take into account certain conditions or factors. If something
in these rules doesn’t quite fi t or make sense to you, feel free
to change it. If you come up with a game mechanic that you
think works better—go for it!

I'll just post that in response to all of this as well. Taken straight from page 54 under the heading of 'The Abstract Nature of Rules'.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

nah, i'm not trying to say that technomancers are magical, in the game. i'm saying that magic is the only logical explanation for their abilities.

ah, well we both knows that logic and SR dont allways (if ever silly.gif ) mix.

so, to find a logical explanation for their abilitys is like trying to find out where all the native indians came from to take over the nan territorys smokin.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (snowRaven)
I'll accept the (admittedly weak) suspension of disbelief of Technomancers being more 'advanced' otaku, modified in some way to be able to sense and alter the matrix around them.

Part of the issue is that Technos are still new. Even IC in 2070 because they weren't recognized immediately after the Crash. Further the small amount of fluff in the BBB also includes a supposed latent Techno that wasn't an Otaku, or even a Decker, but was merely in the vicinity of the stock exchange in Boston when the Crash happened.

Too bad that the Matrix supplement book is going to be last out of the chute, that is where we are likely to get a lot more Techno fluff/description.

Nobody needs a datajack in 2070. The only VR hardware that is required to be cut in is a Control Rig, and that of course is only used when jumped into a vehicle. As far as i can tell you don't think you even need a datajack for it, just subscribe it to your PAN (don your trodes?) and away you drive. In 2070 trodes are just as good as a datajack. It isn't explicitly stated anywhere, but i just ran on the assumption that trodes advanced enough to make datajacks unnessasary. *shrug*
mfb
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
so, to find a logical explanation for their abilitys is like trying to find out where all the native indians came from to take over the nan territorys

heh. i've taken cracks at that problem, too.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Shadow_Prophet)
CODE
Th e mechanics for doing things in Shadowrun are actually
abstract guidelines for all of an individual’s actions, including
combat, vehicle movement, and even how individuals
think and react. Th ese rules are not meant to be a direct copy
of how things really work—they can’t be. We try to approximate
conditions and situations in reality as much as possible,
but that can only go so far. Th at being said, we urge you to
appreciate the rules in Shadowrun for what they are and not
stress out when they don’t simulate real life perfectly or fail to
take into account certain conditions or factors. If something
in these rules doesn’t quite fi t or make sense to you, feel free
to change it. If you come up with a game mechanic that you
think works better—go for it!

I'll just post that in response to all of this as well. Taken straight from page 54 under the heading of 'The Abstract Nature of Rules'.

ah, the cover our ass section silly.gif

and this is why i dont go all trekkie over the tech in SR wink.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
so, to find a logical explanation for their abilitys is like trying to find out where all the native indians came from to take over the nan territorys

heh. i've taken cracks at that problem, too.

i know you have smokin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012