Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under Icy Wings
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Thanee
Felice, leaning back in her chair, looks up, as the Johnson enters the scene. Of course, as Perianwyr introduced himself, she was worried for a moment, but then again, she had not had any business with a dragon yet, not to her knowledge, anyways. The streets said Never deal with a dragon, but the streets also said Never trust an elf. She hasn't followed the latter in the past, so why follow the first? At the very least, she would find out, whether there was some truth to it. His offer seemed generous, but given his reputation, the job probably was a good deal more dangerous than the last. However, without some risk there wasn't any gain, and that was why she was here in the first place. And risk was always part of the business. Never deal with a dragon - what kind of crap was that, anyways? Most dragons she had heard of were running some high-level business somewhere in the world. Looks like they would be involved in quite a few dealings, actually. If they would always take in their business partners, they wouldn't be there in the first place.

“I have no problem dealing with a dragon... yet. Wouldn't mind it staying that way.”
Ankle Biter
over commlink
<I move we find out more about this "package" before discussing payment, I'm not about to accept a deal from a Dragon until I know what I am getting into. I suggest somebody volunteers to find out the full details of the run, then give a simple yay or nay to the rest of the team as to whether it is a suicide mission.

This means that should it be nay only one person has to stay behind with the dragon until other arrangements are made. I suggest Reggie as he seems to have the best local knowledge, I freely admit I have no knowledge of local politics.

By the way, I believe that the reason that people use the phrase "never deal with a dragon" is that they are invariably more intelligent, more cunning, wiser, and stronger than you; If you are a great big giant armoured essentially immortal magical being then squishy metas tend to start looking the same after a while. Bear in mind he will doubless lose no sleep if we all get fragged.>

Tattered~Seraphim
<He mentioned something about the music being important. Something to do with the music industry possibly? Or the lyrics have significant clues on how to do things and who's involved and what's going on.>
Thanee
< A Johnson giving a frag for the runners he's hiring would be a fairly novel sight, so what's the difference here? As long as he's not playing false, there is no reason to do this any different than with any other Johnson. But I agree, that some more information would be good. There certainly will be some twists, but there always are... >
Ankle Biter
Shiver keeps an impassive face as he Comms
<My point was that it is a lot harder to back out once we have all the facts, if only one of us has all the facts then Perianwyr is a more likely to let the rest of us just leave the city for a week. Suppose it turns out he wants one of Ghostwalker's eggs or something?

I would volunter for this myself but doubt that I am the best man for the job. Of course if none of you mind spending the week under guard here on the off chance we refuse, by all means have him tell us what he wants after we accept.>

Tattered~Seraphim
<I know that there's a large risk involved here, but hey, isn't there usually a risk in any Run? I say that we find out more about the job and then decide. But unless it's obvious that we're walking into a trap, I'm game for this job. This will either make or break us as Runners, and I'm up for the gamble.>
Dranem
Reggie looks pensive, and replays the last verse of the song they heard before entering the VIP room.. it must have some significance to their run...
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came an' went, barefoot servants too
Outside in the distance a wild cat did growl
Two riders where approachin', the wind began to howl.

<"Did any of you pay attention to the song that we heard before being ushered in here?"
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view - It's coming from the Tir
While all the women came an' went, barefoot servants too - Possibly meaning being shipped through the NAN lands...
But it's the last two that get me... in the distance a wild cat did growl - could be the a wild animal, or the growling of a motor...
Two riders where approachin', the wind began to howl. - The riders are either coyote or could signify the sound of a vector thrust craft....

I could hunt around, but I'm going to have to be very careful the questions I ask... Morgan can be using any multiple aliases in this job...">

Reggie looks at Perianwyr, stalling for a bit of time as the elf sorts out the riddle.
"Well it is quite gracious of you to be up front with this information. You're offer - I must admit - is quite tempting, but I think you would have to agree that, professionals that we are, running into such a binding agreement blind does entail more risk than normal... would it be asking too much for a little more information before we seal this deal?"
Ophis
Perianwyr watches the group as they discuss the matter over their comms. So far they seem to be what he hoped for, careful, paranoid in sensible directions. Some of the intrigue him, others he finds just odd, but they seem to be the people he's looking for, at Reggie's question he grins, "That all depend son what details you want. I presume you want to know what the job entails? Okay simple enough to explain. In ten days time an object will enter this city, in the possession of some people who after staying hear a day or two will destroy it. I find the destruction of this object appalling, I want you to steal the object and deliver it to someone who will care for it properly, namely myself. The current owners of this item are not dragons. They are aware of the value and importance of the item, but I doubt they would expect interest of your kind in it."
Thanee
“The main question is, how important is this item to you? Six digit important?” Felice asks with a slight smirk.

< Could that be one of those dragon eggs? Maybe the current possessors will not merely destroy it, maybe... well, probably there is some more to it, why would they bring it here, just to destroy it... but that is the dragon's business, I guess. He's the Johnson, after all. >
Tattered~Seraphim
<Good thoughts Reggie. I heard those lyrics seemed to have some importance myself when he mentioned the music. Hmm..... if it's going to be destroyed here after being brought all the way here, then it's possible that some magical affect will happen upon it's destruction, that the people who possess said item wish to unleash upon the city.> Alastor looks at Perianwyr. "By any chance is this item magical in nature? Or is it merely something very precious?"
Ankle Biter
Shiver sends a message on the spiritual plane...
<Please carry the following message to
[ Spoiler ]
'Your follower "Shiver", is currently in negotiations with the dragon Perianwyr, with regards to some work that Shiver could do for him, if you would care to negotiate for payment in kind on part or all of Perianwyr's payment for the mission, Shiver is open to offers.'>

Out loud.

"The payment of a mission is often refected in it's difficulty, however, there are some dificulties that are more expensive to surpass than others

What interests me is the destructability and transportability of this item. Does it require certain special circumstances to be destroyed, is it particularly tough? Will it need to be handled with kid gloves or can it be thrown in a sack and ran through a firefight?

I ask as I want to know what is to stop these vandals destroying the object as soon as we atttack, and if we could, through lack of forewarning as to it's vulnerabilities, accidentaly damage it.

Lastly, due to the complexity of the english language, just to clarify, is the package in any way alive, waiting to be alive, self aware, sentient, posessing of its own will, or the ability to affect its own destiny?"
Ophis
Perianwyr nods at each enquiry waits for you to finish. He then replies, "The object is fairly robust it's not bone china or anything, it will withstand rough treatment as in being carried by a running person over a shoulder. It might even survive some degree of drop unaided, a metre or two, but it won't survive being used as a club for example. The vandals as you rightly put it, have specific time in mind for destroy the object, and it is only to them worth destroying it at that time. The package is an object pure and simple it has historical significance and is not magical in nature, it's a thing not a dragon egg or anything like that."
Tattered~Seraphim
Alastor nods, listening to Perianwyr's words. "Fair enough." His face, as ever, remains neutral.
<Guys, what do you think? You up for the run? It sounds interesting to me.>
Mister Juan
Still holding his barely smoked cigarette, Sander spoke up again.

"What is the exact size of the package... and how many will be carrying and defending it?"
Ankle Biter
Shiver seems pleased by the response he has recieved. The number and strength of the opposition do not seem to worry him, he just seems happy that he does not need to hold back when it comes to capturing the object.

He adds to Sander's list the last question he feels necessary before he will accept the mission at current terms.

"How is it coming in, land or air?"
Moonwolf
"If you don't mind, why do they want to destroy it? Why is destroying it at the specified time significant to them? Would it happen to be 1 foot in diameter and very thin?" Eury raises an eyebrow very slightly with the last question.
Ophis
"I think before I answer any more questions," Perianwyr say still smiling but with a certain edge to his voice, "I would appreciate you deciding whether you are going to take the offer. Once I know that I will furnish you with complete details."
Tattered~Seraphim
Alastor nods. You get a general overview of a run, agree or disagree to do it, and if yes, get filled in on the rest. <I say that we take the job, guys. We need to decide yes or no now on whether we're doing this.>
Dranem
Reggie looks around the table, then does a quick check for concensus before finally giving an answer.
<"Well, sounds good enough to me, we have a week to formualate the rest of our legwork, I'm sure 'Mr. Morgan' is a busy dragon and expects us to do some of this work ourselves. This artifact most likely bears some significant interest, being brought here is probably as a blackmail item, and as Peri will not bow to their demands it'll be destroyed.. ot at least is sounds like something along those lines...
I'm a go for this.">
Thanee
“I'm in, if you are willing to rack up the compensation appropriately, once we know all the details you can give us,” Felice says.
Tattered~Seraphim
"I too accept the job."
Dranem
Reggie nods. "I'm in."
Hoping that this is not going to a regretable decision.
Mister Juan
Taking a long drag on his barely smoked cigarette, Sander waited a few more seconds. He liked the silence. He liked the tension in the air.

"So be it then. As long as the cred is good."
Moonwolf
"Certainly, it sounds interesting, to say the least."
Ophis
Perianwyr's eyes flick onto Shiver.

Shiver hears a whisper in his mind.
[ Spoiler ]
Ankle Biter
Shiver smiles, he seems genuinley pleased.
"I accept your offer."

Mentally
[ Spoiler ]

He looks Perianwyr in the eye, and his eyes narrow in concentration

mentally
[ Spoiler ]

Ophis
Shiver
[ Spoiler ]

Perianwyr grins, "Okay, I'm glad you have all accepted the offer. Now to the details," the singer on the lastest piece of music seems to have a purple haze all in his brain, "The medley of music you've been hearing is by a musician from the late 1960's, a self taught guitar virtuoso name Jimi Hendrix. His style was unique mostly because being left handed he was playing his right handed guitar upside down. He developed tricks that artists even now copy, but fail to exceed." His eyes glint with a slight odd gleam, "Now enough history, there is a band currently on a sell out American tour. They are called the Spirits of Darkness, they are also posers, faking an all history is rubbish nihilistic style, like the Shadows but with out the talent. About a fortnight ago they acquired a surviving guitar used by Hendrix when he played Woodstock. They are finishing their tour here in Denver on the 22nd, at the end of their final set they intend to destroy the guitar on stage, in a classic rock 'n' roll style. Some sort of pretenious the history of music is dead thing. I want the guitar, it is being kept by Kelly Malaise, the lead guitarist. I believe as personnel luggage. They will be staying in the penthouse suite of the Denver Hilton in the UCAS Downtown Noncon area. The gig is in the Denver Exhibition Centre's concert hall. I want the guitar unbroken, and with minimum deaths, most importantly no death in the band, they're nihilist children you shouldn't give them what they want."
Ankle Biter
Shiver laughs happily.

I never thought I would say this to a Dragon, but that must be the coolest fragging plan I have ever heard. This is going to be FUN.
Mister Juan
When the dragon added the "no death" detail, Sander was less than satisfied. Getting into the room and capping everyone would have been a simple piece of cake. But now, they were going to have to tiptoe through the fragging tulips.

Already, plans were starting to take form in the man's head.

"Is there a number where we can reach you once we're in possession of the item?"
Thanee
“Ok, I must admit, this is absolutely not the direction I had seen this going. But that isn't a bad thing, the urge of preserving some 'historic' item is certainly understandable.”

Felice tries to recall, or search the net for some general information about the band, especially how big they are, which would be a good indicator as to how tight security is going to be around them.
Ophis
Perianwyr nods and flips a chip from his pocket to Sander, "An image of the guitar, my private number. If it was as simple as killing them all I'd do it myself, but I have enough blood on these claws."
Thanee
“There's only one last thing left to figure out then, before we can begin. The compensation. How about a nice round number. Hundred kay total, fifty front, fifty upon delivery.”
Ankle Biter
Shiver Is already mentally cataloging the pros and cons of the run. With a name like "The Hilton" he expects security at the place to be tight, but with the company he is keeping he expects that it should not be a problem. His main concern is the don't kill anybody clause did not extend to the band's guards, and Shiver really does not want any bodies involved in this run at all. That would make things less funny. Front page news "Guitar stolen by Hendrix fans" can be laughed off, but "Masssacre at the Hilton" takes on far too much bad press.

Over comms
<I know I have only worked with you gentlemen, and lady, once, but to be honest if we can't walk in there, get the guitar, and walk out without a shot fired I don't think I'd want to run with you again. We can gain much reputation if we finess this run, whereas blowing our way in and out proves nothing, and would only count against us in future work. Thugs get meatgrinder missions, faces like ourselves get lower risk higher pay ones.>
Mister Juan
Sander could see Shiver's comments scrolling on the right hand of his field of vision. He could have very well turned his audio link on, but he didn't feel like hearing some synthezied voice at the moment. Plus... it was easier to concentrate like this.

What a fragging cry boy sissy.

Killing people didn't have to be messy, or loud. Killing could be very fast and quiet... all while never firing a shot. Knowing Shiver would do his best to avoid any casualties made Sander uneasy. Sure, he wasn't himself going to go look for anyone to ice during the operation... but if he had to, he wouldn't hesitate. What Shiver had just said proved to him that he, in turn, might flinch. Sander didn't like that. He didn't like it one bit.

Taking the chip the dragon had thrown him, he uncliped his commlink from his belt and slid the chip in the reader. As he took a good look at the picture, while sending it to everyone on the network, he spoke up again.

"This offer of 80 000 for the job is much more reasonable..."

His eyes went up from his commlink to the dragon.

"Anything else we should know?"
Dranem
Reggies sits there and listens to Perianwyr describe the job.. a guitar... Hendrix, that's like ancient! Reg does a quick calculation on an antiques node, running a quick estimated value of the item, hopefully these 'Spirits of Darkness' have been treating the item well, otherwise, that significantly lowers the value...

Finaly Reggie smiles, this is definately up the elf's alley.
"Perhapse there is a way of hitting the tour bus before they arrive in Denver. We could acquire the item when it's the least defended, and easiest to capture."
Ankle Biter
Shiver nods at Reggie.

"I like that plan, hotel security can be most tiresome."
Ophis
"Plan as you wish, I have no other information that seems relevant," says Perianwyr, "80000¥ seems generous enough for you friends my dear Felice, if you want further compensation for this run how about I take you out for a meal in your other capacity? Who else in your line of work could claim such a client?"
Mister Juan
Before Felice could answer, Sander got up. He straightened his tie and buttoned one button of his jacket. He stood staring at Felice for a brief moment giving her a slight nod (which probably meant "don't too push it..."), before his attention went back to their new employer.

"Well, we won't keep you any longer. I'm sure you have other business to attend to."

Taking his shade back out, Sander started to head for the exit to the VIP room. The sooner they got out of there, the sooner they could get this show on the road.
Tattered~Seraphim
<Good idea Reggie. Hmm..... we could do something like hijack the band's transport, taking the wheels out, and snatch the guitar. Or.... if Felice is up for it, posing as a groupie could sedate the band and take the prize. Just for ideas.>
Alastor raises an eyebrow to Shiver's comment. <Unfortunately, in our line of work, killing people is occasionally a necessity, but one that should be tried to be avoided unless there's no way around it. Taking people down but not killing them is another matter. This ain't no trideo shoot 'em up game; this is real life kids. As long as the job gets done, there are different ways to do things.>

He watches as 'Clark' gets up and exits the room. He watches the others before making any sudden movements to leave.
Ankle Biter
Shiver decides that faint heart never won more knowledge. Sensing the meet drawing to a close, he decided to act.

"Perianwyr, I would consider it a foolish loss of an opportunity if I failed to at least ask this; Would you be interested, at some later date, in meeting up and discussing the philosophy of magic with a lesser practitioner such as myself? I value insight more than credit and feel I could learn much from you."
Moonwolf
"Likewise, knowledge is more important than wealth, and I'm sure that you know much that has been lost to time for us short lived peoples." Eury smiles slightly and nods at Perianwyr. "Would it be possible to get a fake version of the guitar made up in time? It would not have to be exact, just enough to fool some musicians for the night. Or would you prefer that their sordid ritual could not take place at all?"
Mister Juan
Half way to the door, Sander turned around, crossing his arms on his chest.

"If you guys want knowledge out of this, I'll take your share of the cred." he said with a grin.
Ankle Biter
Shiver turns to Sander and cocks his head in interest, "and suppose you had all the money you could ever want, what would you do then?"
Dranem
Reg stands up soon after Clark sets off for the door, pushing the chair back with ease.
"As 'Mr. Morgan' will have us on retainer after this job, there will be plenty of time for information exchange, we should keep our minds on the task at hand first..."

Looking over the table focusing on the awakened in the group. "Let's roll people, I need time to figure out the tour bus' intended routes and put an ear to the road to find out their true itenerary." looking at Sander, beaming him a private message. <"Best not to get greedy, you'll have plenty of opportunity to shoot your guns..."> and smiles, before following him out the door.
Mister Juan
Sander opened up his jacket, setting both hands on his waist. Looking straight at Shiver, he smiled.

"I'd probably fuck your mother. How's that?"
Ophis
"Pleae no fighting, your on my Nuyen now." Says Perianwyr, "I'm no expert on magic, music is what I know. If a fake guitar is needed, I can look into it."

He watches "Clark" carefully, this one could be trouble.
Tattered~Seraphim
Alastor eyes Clark slightly warily. He would have to keep an eye on him about getting too happy with killing people. He stands, smiles to Perianwyr, and politely nods his head at the dragon. "It was good doing business with you, Mr Morgan." He extends his hand out in a polite, businessmanlike way to him.
Ophis
"Pleasure doing business with you sir." Says Perianwyr taking Alastor's hand.

Alastor
[ Spoiler ]
Tattered~Seraphim
Ophis:
[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
Felice nods as the negotiations get concluded. “Got to live with it, then,” she says with an obvious wink. The compensation wasn't bad for sure, and only time would tell, whether it was appropriate. It was only a small jump up from the initial offer, though, and Felice is sure, that they could have managed more than that, but it's too late for that now.

“I've got a few clips of non-lethal ammunition, that's not a problem.”

< Anyone who causes a death during this run will get 2k less in the end, which will be put into a 'group's fund'. We'll figure out what to do with that later. How's that? >

Turning to Perianwyr, she says: “As it looks, my appointment calendar will be pretty full during the next week, but afterwards it would be a pleasure. You have my number. Have a good night, sir, and enjoy the magic of the music.” Then she puts on her jacket, picks up her bag, and heads out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012