Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Under Icy Wings
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Tattered~Seraphim
Alastor nods with the plan, agreeing with the route to be taken through the house, his knowledge of corporate secuirty helping. "We have to do this absolutely as quick as possible, with as little fuss. We can't risk anyone returning back home whilst we're in the middle, obviously. And we have to be prepared also for any magical security. Anyone owning something like this would have magical as well as physical and virtual security guarding it, if I were them. I'm sure you can also handle that, Shiver, Eury?"
Thanee
“I know a fair deal about physical security systems, maglocks, sensors and the likes. Should be able to get around them, too. Biggest problem will be finding them before they find us.�
Ophis
Shiver reaches over and hits a couple of buttons. He quickly reviews the text that comes up. "Looks like we got some serious wards to deal with. Set up by the owner, could be a problem to get through with out being noticed. Thankfully no sign of spirits inside. We may have to move mucho pronto on this one."
Dranem
While the group awaits Clarke to lift some appropriate transportation...

'Magical Security'? Reg sorts the idea around in her head. She'd had heard of such measures on the trids and such, but it hadn't occurred to her that people actually USE such means..... If magical security had ever been an issue on any of her past jobs it was usually just dealt with...
As the elf watches the additional information layer show up on the building's schematics, she ponders. "Ummm... 'Morgan' said the place was currently vacant, yet well protected, so I don't think we have to worry much about someone coming home in the middle of the heist. Besides this weather isn't fit for person or beast, the media's encouraging all un-necessary traffic be postponed during the storm.. so as not to hamper or add to emergency services calls."

She listens to Shiver's comment. "Can you disable them somehow to give us more time?"
Ophis
"Walking in should be easy, unless the wards are something odd. Walking out with a foci may be more difficult."
Thanee
“Well, that's something you will have to figure out, can't help you there...�
Tattered~Seraphim
"My problem is that whilst I know something about warding in theory, I can do jack shit about sensing a ward in any way, so I wouldn't have a clue about hwo to get round anything unless someone tells me what it's like." Alastor pauses. "Right, we better get this show on the road, seeming as we need to get this job done pronto."
Ophis
Shiver shrugs, "They shouldn't be a problem, me and Eury can assense the place to within an inch of it's life. Hell since we need to wait for Clarke, I may as well go and have a look now."

With that Shiver slumps in his seat his head lolling to one side.
Thanee
A bit nervous, which considering the situation isn't that unexpected, Felice walks up and down, waiting for the mages to report back.
Ophis
Shiver's eyes snap open. He grins broadly. "Standard wards, chummers, as long as me and Eury keep it quiet on the way in we're only going to make a noise leaving. I hope Clarke is getting some wheels with a decent bit of pace."

As if on cue you comms bleep. Clarke is sending a message to the team.

Wheels on route meet you outside in about ten minutes.
Tattered~Seraphim
Alastor nods, glad with the report. "That's good, although I'm somewhat surprised considering the value of this job that there isn't more security on the magical front. I'd be careful just in case." When Clark messages the team that the transport is on its way, Alastor grins. "Right, everyone ready?"
Ophis
Shiver shrugs, "Maybe the owner relies on secrecy or maybe there's more behind the ward."
Tattered~Seraphim
Alastor nods. "Exactly. That's precisely what I'd do."
Thanee
“We should definitely expect more inside, especially on the magical front. Having it look like there is just standard protection just makes too much sense, I'm afraid.�

“Anyways, if we are fast enough, this shouldn't matter too much,� Felice then adds with a grin, as she nods to Alastor to confirm her readiness.
Tattered~Seraphim
Alastor grins, his eyes edged in a bright ring of crimson, showing his readiness.
Ophis
Shiver glanes at his watch, "Well given the time we have left, if you would excuse me a mo. Need to visit the little boy's room."

He doesn't wait for a reply but stands and crosses the empty bar and heads for the toilets.
Ophis
The ten minute wait seems to run on for weeks. But then your timers beep and and it's back out into the rainstorm. Clarke has a van waiting for you on the corner, decorated i the livery of a roof repairs company.

Thought this should cover us well. So saddle up bitches we have a fucking crystal ball to grab.

You pile in it's not actually comfortable, but hey what were you expecting. You just have time for last minute prep before it's game on.

Clarke chucks a couple of pistols to Felice, "Can you check those are fine while I drive? Don't want them jamming in the cops ask questions."

Shiver concentrates, muttering a little as he summons up a spirit.
Thanee
“Sure.�

Felice puts the pistols somewhere and checks them individually.
Tattered~Seraphim
Sitting in the back of the van, Alastor likewise checks his weapons, making sure that his pair of heavy pistols are in decent working order considering the dire weather conditions. To have these backfire on him if they were needed would be very bad news.

As they'd all left the club, Alastor had shoved his helmet back on to keep himself dry along with his full length trench coat, down which was stuffed the rest of his long white ponytail. His sheathed sword was currently down by his side, and his fully checked then double checked pistols replaced in their appropriate holsters. He was sitting there, eyes closed in concentration, trying to figure out every in and out he could gleam of what may come up security-wise that they didn't already know about, and reviewing the plan tehy'd settled on. Due to the adrenaline starting to rush through his blood, the now familiar to the group SURGE markings had appeared on his skin and when he opened his eyes they glowed crimson. He was ready.
Dranem
Reg hops in the Van with the rest, seeing as the first bit of work is going to be completely VR, the elf leaves someone else to ride shotgun with Clarke and settles as best as possible in the back of the vehicle.

Closing her eyes, she concentrates on the electron flow and calls a friend. It takes a bit of effort, but finally a small thuggish creature with a dirty face fades into Reg's view and smiles. Reg smiles back at the gnome-sized urchin with the tweed cap. The creature reminds her of some 19th century street kid. "We got a big job, hope you're up to it." says the elf, and the Sprite responds with a grin. "I need you to locate and cancel any signal that we might trip as your first task." the Sprite nods...

Good, now for the hard part. Reg concentrates on the target's security system. Gaining access will be the first challenge....
Moonwolf
Eury takes the front seat, keeping an eye open for anything going on. As it approaches the site, he looks over it carefully, and builds up a mental image of a hemisphere covering the doorway, decorated to make the area look exactly like it does now. "It's tricky to get it spot on, but the rain should help cover any errors." he says to Clarke, and then concentrates, painting the image onto the world. "That should do it, pull up as close to the door as you can, and I'll cover the van too."
Ophis
Clark nods affirmative and does as Eury instructs. "Just got to wait for Reggie now." he says glancing at the comatose form.
Thanee
Felice nods, waiting patiently for Reg to come back from her visit in the Matrix.
Dranem
The Silver Surfer locates the house's matrix address, and finds itself in-front of a looming cave. Brambles and vines cover the entrance, which would be the building's security layer. Working through the vegetation is hard work, and a snapping nearly trips the system, but finally Reg and the Sprite manage to cancel the bell and get through.
The bats were the signal notifier, and one bat has been caught already.

Producing a flashlight, the Silver Surfer starts combing through the house's node to control the security system. Finding a large chamber with pools of water appears to be the camera node, each pool shows a different video angle in the house.

Reg doesn't show any signs of physical activity, but those commlinks she knows she transmits a tight-beam voice signal. "OK, we're in... Quite cozy in here if you like dark, damp spaces... Once the party is in range of the security system, you should have the house's layout on your AR overlays."
Thanee
“Guess that means we got green lights...�
Ophis
Shiver nods, "As soon as the door is open, and we're through I'll have my spirit joins us by a route the wards don't prevent."

Cain nods, "Then time to get moving. Reggie is the door open?"
Tattered~Seraphim
Alastor, who had been sitting fairly quietly and preparing, sits up, ready to move, watching Clark and waiting for Reggie's signal.
Dranem
The sound of water dripping on stone can be heard in the background
"Working on it... "
A clanking of metal footsteps can be heard and Reg cuts the feed for a moment by turning off the virtual flashlight. The silver surfer watches a medieval knight in shinning armour approaching down a side passage. Reg doesn't move, instead watches what's most likely the system's IC backup doing a routine sweep. 'Yes that's it, it's just a routine sweep you clunky chunk of code, go on about your business' the elf mumbles, and watches the knight move off down another passage. Once the IC clears out of the area, Reg turns on the flashlight and gets back to work. Now that she's reigned in the security grid, she turns a stalactite - deactivating the front door contact sensor. She turns and pushes a nearby stone and releases the door's maglock.

"Brrr... getting a little chilly in here... had a nice little game of cloak and dagger with some ice... doesn't seem to be top code, so we should still be good to go.
Door's open, head on in. We now begin our B&E tour of the fine lady's little fortress. I would remind everyone that this is a non-smoking flight, please observe warning lights and everyone should have a smooth ride."

In the meat, Reg smiles.
Ophis
Clarke grins, "You heard the girl, get moving. I'll keep the engine warm."

Shiver adjusts his coat and goggles and starts to open the side door.
Thanee
Felice puts on her biking helmet on the way in. Reg had the system under control for now, but it was always better to be double sure.

As soon as they are in, she looks around for any signs of activity and for any security systems they still might to get around.
Ophis
Apart from the rainfall the street appears quiet and empty.
Tattered~Seraphim
Alastor climbs out of of the van a hair's breadth behind Felice, completely on guard, not letting the apparent view of things being clear or that they were being covered magically and technologically be taken for granted. <Let's stick together as much as possible> he messages over the group's commlinks. And with that, he quickly heads over towards their entrance point, a dark shadow in the pouring rain in his long trench and helmet.
Thanee
As they arrive at the entrance, Reg had opened for them already, Felice stops for a short moment, then she reaches out and pulls the door open. Even though she does not expect any guards there, she is still cautious, as she slowly enters the building, waiting for the AR input, Reggie had mentioned earlier and taking in the details of their 'entrance hall' in the meantime.
Ophis
Inside the house is quiet as the three of you cross the threshold AROs appear directing you towards the presumed location of the orb.

The house is sparsely furnished all white walls and open spaces. As you reach the stairs Shiver sends a message We have Watchers around us and here come the big boys. Two spirits one front one rear.

On his cue two Flaming spirits begin to manifest.
Thanee
< [Felice] Great! Hope you can handle those... but just in case, I got APDS and electrically charged ammo... which of those is more effective against spirits? >
Ophis
<[Shiver]Either's good I think>
Dranem
Once the group approaches the front door, Reg gets busy. First there's feeding the teams private AR network the residence's map; their target and the fastest route based on their location fed by the security raw data; and then running a series of routines that will feed the cameras and the motion sensor monitors programmed loops - so as not to trigger an alarm. It's a delicate process: receiving the raw data, feeding the monitor software the fake signal, all while preserving the timestamp on the events. Just as she is a ghost in the machine, the goal is to make it look like the team was never even there.... at least electronically.

The silver surfer closely observes the raw feeds so as to keep each event timed properly, it wouldn't be good to have a loop end too soon. Even a large out-of-place shadow seems to be enough to trip some of these motion sensors. Home systems seem to be a lot more sensitive than the commercial/industrial systems she's dealt with in the past. No need to allocate for small items it seems. When Shiver announces Watchers, Reg flips through the series of signals...
<[SilverSurf]: "I don't see any watchers"> , magic elements have never been the elf's forte, and is surprised as the cameras start picking up new elements. <[SilverSurf]: This isn't a good sign, is it?>
Ophis
The spirits manifest, a pair of icy skinned humanoids. The three of you scatter spreading, so as not to make a target. Shiver gestures and one of the spirits shatters and fades from view as swiftly as it appeared. Felice gets her guns up first and rakes the second with burst fire, it turns and hurls a spike of ice at her. She drops hard to one side and the icy bolt flies past her, as she lands she fires again her first burst knocked wild by the floor the second finds it target and the spirit collapses and disappears.

Shiver grins, "So much for sneaky. Shall we sprint?"

Answering his own question the strange man bounds towards the stairs.
Thanee
Felice shrugs as she nimbly jumps to her feet. “Hey, it got a sound suppressor... outside the room the shots were barely audible, if at all.� Then she follows him.
Ophis
Sprinting isn't quite what Shiver does. But he does cause your pace to pick up a bit...

Nothing other than yourselves stirs with in the walls. Camera's ignore your passage and the only door in you path is already unlocked. This would seem sinister if you didn't know about Reggie logged into the system.

The target sits in a protective glass case, a large sphere of Glass Crystal with a single fist sized reptilian eye set in it's heart. The rest of the room is decorated with a selection of art works and a full length fish tank gracing one wall. There seems to be no theme to the artworks, but each seems a fine example of it's kind.

Not one of the artworks holds your attention you're here for that Orb. Now who bought the bag?
Thanee
< [Felice] Looking for security measures around the case now. Maybe, if we manage to get this open without much hassle, we could also take the rest here with us, will certainly make for a good diversion and not immediately point to what we came for.

Reg? Can you see any protective measures around the case from your point of view? >

Felice then carefully examines the surroundings of the case from a distance at first.
Dranem
Reg follows the team through the camera system and motion monitors, 'dimming' each sensor and running programmed loops to dupe them as the team moves through the house. The quickened pace keeps her on her toes, whoever set up this redundant security system sure was paranoid.... the silver surfer smiles, 'too bad they weren't expecting a ghost in the machine to put a kink in the works'. Ever vigilant of more probe IC, Reg finally relaxes slightly when they enter the art room and the target of the run.
This room's security is set up like a museum's, requiring a bit more juggling around to keep the system in check, but once the team was inside it was easier to manage.

< [SilverSurfr] I got the room quiet for now, don't approach the case till I'm done scanning for additional triggers; this might take a few more cycles. >
Reg has the sprite hold watch on the main system as its last task and goes to work on scanning the glass case specifically for additional security measures - looking for any light wiring or pressure plate sensors
Tattered~Seraphim
<I wouldn't be so hasty, Felice,> Alastor says over his commlink, sending the message to everyone. <Any of these items could very well be magical and/or be significant pieces on the collectors' circles. There could be some nasty consequences of trying to take any of these other pieces possibly.>
Dranem
Searching the cave, the silver surfer finally locates a side passage leading to the controls for the case.
<[SilverSurfr]: Figures. The case has it's own security node, working on it. >
The side passage more an indentation than a passage. A small round roomlet in the passage with what looks like a ray of sunlight shinning on a virtual orb on a stone column. Other features in the cave suggest that one or two pieces of art might have some minor additional alarm triggers, but the orb's system takes the cake. After unsuccessfully cracking into the ray of light, the silver surfer calls her sprite over. Switching places, the sprite probes the orb and finally, after some tinkering, the ray of light turns off - indicating the additional security measures are now off-line.

<[SilverSurfr]: Ok, case has been disabled, careful of any additional mechanical triggers, but as it stands, the electronics are off-line. >

Reg relaxes only a little, keeping an eye out for any hidden back-up systems or timers.
Thanee
< [Felice] Maybe you are right, just thinking... >

When Reg signals, that the case can be approached, Felice slowly heads towards it. “There's still a mechanical trap attached to it, a wire. Hope I can circumvent it from triggering.�

Using her tools, Felice then makes sure, that the wire won't lose tension while they get the precious out of the case. “This looks good. Let's see!�

She then slowly removes the item from the case.
Ophis
The lid simply lifts off, Felice breaths a sigh of relief as her alteration of the wire trap from the lid does it's job. And there it is, the orb is now in reach, and the job is almost done.

Shiver steps forward. "You guys want me to carry it? It won't get in my way in fights as much as it would for you two."

As he speaks he pulls a folding travel bag from his coat.
Thanee
“I hope we won't need to get in any fights from here on...� Felice remarks. “But sure, go ahead.�

She then calls out to Eury via their commlink connection.

< [Felice] Eury... everything clear outside? >
Tattered~Seraphim
Alastor nods to Shiver, having been fairly quiet throughout the Run. He stands on guard, watching out for anything that might happen or appear.
Ophis
Shiver casually picks the orb up, it seems heavier than it looks and he wavers for a moment and then places it carefully in the bag, which he zips shut and slings onto his shoulder.

"Time to leave," he says heading for the door and thence the stairs and your exit.

Van team, we have the package and we're going to make a sharp exit.

Inside the van Clarke nods and starts the engine.
Ophis
The exit is cleaner than the entry. No spirits. No opposition. Once you're all in the van Clarke, pulls gently away. The drive to the drop off point is quiet, the rain chasing traffic from the streets. The van pulls up into the drive of an anonymous looking suburban house, on a street of identical houses. You pull up the drive eyes sharp for foul play even at this stage of the run.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012