Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atheism in 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Platinum
QUOTE (knasser)
In these religions, angels are the messengers and agents of God. Should one appear, then it is as an agent of God's will. Hence the twofold problem I mentioned originally. Making angels into SR spirits demolishes the notion of an omnipotent God. Having these messengers' power accord to the summoner's skill rather than God's will indicates a human origin or influence.

While I definitely follow the sentiment, we are trying to 1 kind of flush out some rules and mechanics for the different religions in SR. It would probably be best to rule angels and demons for that matter as free spirits. I am not sure if God would appreciate someone summoning his agents for whatever tasks they feel best suited. Now since spirits assume whatever form their summoner envisions, it technically is possible that some devout follow would think that he/she is capable on calling upon angels for help.

You might get away with the worshippers being defeated. You can't get away with the direct agents of God being beaten up. That indicates either lack of omnipotence or half-hearted action on the part of God.

I know that there is at least one reference when angels had to wait and get help in order to pass demons that were stronger. I think they called Michael for help so they could pass and deliver their message. So they might not be beaten up ... but there is "spirit warfare" as well as spiritual warfare. Also in then new testament there are many passages, some from Jesus that definitely state that there are different levels of power (you can interpret as force) for angels and demons.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Glyph)
The angels in the Bible are pretty hard to mistake for anything else - they're terrifying. Ever notice the the first thing that nearly any angel says after revealing itself is "Fear not" or the equivalent?

A Spirit with Fear or an Innate Spell for Fear would work to fill that role.

Or you could just assume that an angel appearing in front of someone is scary. Especially if that someone is from a society tought that angels are messengers of God and God can be a major bastard if you tick him off. "Fear Not!" would translate roughly to "I'm here as a messenger, not to flay your sorry ass for wanting to get a piece of your neighbors' wife's tail."
knasser
QUOTE (Platinum)

While I definitely follow the sentiment, we are trying to 1 kind of flush out some rules and mechanics for the different religions in SR.

Ah, well I wasn't you see. I was explaining my opinion that you can't introduce the summoning of angels by mages into the game without either the religion as we know it, or game balance as we like it, giving way.

If you're happy to define God (whether of Islam, Christianity or Judaism) as just another totem, in effect, then you can do it and some angels as free spirits would make sense, whilst lesser angels use the regular Spirit of Man rules. But as I say, I don't think you can successfully portray God as just another totem. None of the other totems are monotheistic. Therefore belief in them can survice confrontation or defeat by other totems / spirits, etc. A monotheistic faith cannot. Christianity would have to become a pantheistic religion again.

Just for reference, the way I shall handle it in my game, should it occur, is that Christian magicians will summon elementals. Their faith as regards God remains an unproven thing to the rest of the world. I will have Islamic sorcerors perhaps summon more interesting spirits of man. Especially at higher force, you start getting Efreet and Djinn, perhaps.

I will have Sufism adapt readily to magic use in my game. I was particularly pleased to see this backed up by the Istanbul section of Runner Havens (the first part that I read, of course).
James McMurray
I was explaining my opinion that you can't introduce the summoning of angels by mages into the game without either the religion as we know it, or game balance as we like it, giving way.

As others have said, this works just fine if you don't try to figure out God's motives in sending those spirits. It's always possible that

1) He wants the spirit to lose, as it teaches the summoner something or otherwise moves the universe further down god's plan

2) He set up the rules of how to summon angels and then sat back and watched, or

3) Some other reasoning that a finite mind cannot comprehend but an infinite one can.

Stating your own beliefs of what God should or would do and then using them as an invalidation of God's existence is futile at best. Unless perhaps you've spoken with God and he told you that your ideas mesh with his? wink.gif
hyzmarca
There may be a big disconnect between what god actually is and what everyone thinks that god is. God as totem works perfectly well just as psionics-as-magic does. The fact that the people who practice this magic are lunatics doesn't change that. In fact, it helps. There is a section in MitS about miracle magic. Some people think they channel God's power to do miracles. Some of them beleive that the practice of magic is evil.

Platinum
QUOTE (knasser)
Ah, well I wasn't you see. I was explaining my opinion that you can't introduce the summoning of angels by mages into the game without either the religion as we know it, or game balance as we like it, giving way.

If you're happy to define God (whether of Islam, Christianity or Judaism) as just another totem, in effect, then you can do it and some angels as free spirits would make sense, whilst lesser angels use the regular Spirit of Man rules. But as I say, I don't think you can successfully portray God as just another totem. None of the other totems are monotheistic. Therefore belief in them can survice confrontation or defeat by other totems / spirits, etc. A monotheistic faith cannot. Christianity would have to become a pantheistic religion again.

Just for reference, the way I shall handle it in my game, should it occur, is that Christian magicians will summon elementals. Their faith as regards God remains an unproven thing to the rest of the world. I will have Islamic sorcerors perhaps summon more interesting spirits of man. Especially at higher force, you start getting Efreet and Djinn, perhaps.

Like you I just don't envision God as being some kind of totem with modifiers. I would think that most priests and prophets would be hermetic. The awkward thing is that they summon elementals. (you could always just come up with a house rule that allows them to summon a new type of spirit and not be able to summon elementals)
mfb
QUOTE (knasser)
But as I say, I don't think you can successfully portray God as just another totem. None of the other totems are monotheistic. Therefore belief in them can survice confrontation or defeat by other totems / spirits, etc. A monotheistic faith cannot. Christianity would have to become a pantheistic religion again.

as i've said before, Christianity is not actually monotheistic--not in the sense you're using the term. yes, Christians worship one god, but the Bible does not deny the existance of other gods. all the Bible says is that YHWH is stronger than all other gods, which brings me to my main point:

you want Christianity to be correct, in SR--that is to say, you want things in SR to work out exactly the way the Bible says they should. if you look at the way other religions intersect with SR's game mechanics, though, you'll find that none of them are correct--they all got it wrong. i don't see any real reason to give Christianity special treatment, either by changing the rules for it or by denying it the ability to affect (and effect) magic the way all the other religions get to do.
Platinum
The difference is they are false gods with a little "g". Not a supreme being like the God of the bible says he is, but idols and objects of worship. It says that the Isrealites fashioned a god for themselves out of gold. Was is a real "God", no... just an object.

According to the bible YHWH is the only "TRUE" God.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Platinum)
According to the bible YHWH is the only "TRUE" God.

Of course it does, it's HIS BOOK!
"Jeff the God of Biscuits"'s book says that Jeff is the "TRUE" god.
"Simon the God of Hairdoos"'s book says that Simon is the "TRUE" god.
If I was a god writing a book about myself, or having someone right a book about me, I'd be the main character and you bet I'd be the awesomest god, 'cause the main character is always awesome. It makes for a more entertaining read. biggrin.gif
knasser
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Jul 11 2006, 02:45 PM)

Of course it does, it's HIS BOOK!
"Jeff the God of Biscuits"'s book says that Jeff is the "TRUE" god.
"Simon the God of Hairdoos"'s book says that Simon is the "TRUE" god.
If I was a god writing a book about myself, or having someone right a book about me, I'd be the main character and you bet I'd be the awesomest god, 'cause the main character is always awesome.  It makes for a more entertaining read.  biggrin.gif

Well, funny yes, but correct, no. You see there are several major religions that don't say there is only one god even if they favour one in particular. Hinduism has numerous gods, several of which get into trouble. The religions present in Shadowrun as magical traditions - native american beliefts, voodoo loas, etc are all pantheistic. Therefore compatible with the presence of other gods / totems to a greater extent than Christianity-Islam-Judaism. (I'm just going to call these the religions of the book from here on).

QUOTE (mfb)

as i've said before, Christianity is not actually monotheistic--not in the sense you're using the term. yes, Christians worship one god, but the Bible does not deny the existance of other gods.

There is a great deal more to Christianity than literal reading of the Old Testament. You can be pretty certain that the modern Christian religion considers there to be only one God. Even in the Old Testament, your references to other gods are usually shown as qualitatively different in nature to God. Witness all the references to idols, golden calves, statues of phillistine gods etc. The difference is emphasised and as the bible proceeds chronologically, you find that the concept of only one God becomes more and more embedded. And the New Testament (the basis of Christianity) does explicity state this, though I don't have a reference to hand. Anyway, as I said, the belief of modern Christianity does preclude other gods.

QUOTE (mfb)

you want Christianity to be correct, in SR--that is to say, you want things in SR to work out exactly the way the Bible says they should.

I didn't say this and it's not my meaning. This looks like it's directed at me, though. I said the two are not compatible. Operating under the processes of the Shadowrun rules, I don't think Christianity could exist as it does in the real world. At least not if you're summoning angels as part of your magic. I didn't say that you shouldn't put it in your game - do what you like. But I will say that there are problems of internal consistency where you have a monotheistic faith operating on the same level as pantheistic faiths around it (i.e. direct confrontation and varying power based on the wielder rather than according to the religion).

if you look at the way other religions intersect with SR's game mechanics, though, you'll find that none of them are correct--they all got it wrong. i don't see any real reason to give Christianity special treatment, either by changing the rules for it or by denying it the ability to affect (and effect) magic the way all the other religions get to do.

Islam, actually, but the same principle applies to all the religions of the book as they are closely related and share a God. You don't see any reason not to use a caricature of these religions in the same way as you use a caricature of native american beliefs because you have no participation in these religions. And so it's fine for you and your players who presumably feel the same.

It is different for me as I am involved in a religion and so I have priests summon regular old elementals and nobody has Mentor Spirit: Jesus. If I could put it in emotive terms, consider putting your girlfriend or your sister or your mother in one of your games, more or less exactly her as a character. Would it not bother you at all that she had been shot, or killed or seduced by one of your players? Do you have her running in terror from the Barghest? Even though it is just a fantasy and your girlfriend or whoever isn't actually affected by this? You still used someone you care about in a way that may feel uncomfortable. Realise that for people who do have a faith, then they may well feel the same way about bringing God or Angels into the evening's game.

It's not that it will upset or harm any spritual being, so no harm in other people playing that way, but simply that you yourself may find the scenario distasteful.

I hope I've put all that well.
knasser
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
There may be a big disconnect between what god actually is and what everyone thinks that god is. God as totem works perfectly well just as psionics-as-magic does. The fact that the people who practice this magic are lunatics doesn't change that. In fact, it helps. There is a section in MitS about miracle magic. Some people think they channel God's power to do miracles. Some of them beleive that the practice of magic is evil.

hyzmarca - I'm not ignoring your argument. But if there's a big distinction between what the religion thinks God is and what God actually is, then is not the result the same - the religion is shown to be false in the setting. For the priest to say that God doesn't actually care enough for his angels not to be bashed about by a Street Samurai with an LMG, still forces the religion to be different.
knasser
Just to lighten all of this... this reminds me of a story:

Moses comes down from Mt. Sinai. He addresses the assembled Hebrew people.
"Oy," he says. "I've got good news and bad news.
The good news is I've got it down to Ten. The bad news is, adultery's still in there."

smile.gif

Hopefully that's non-offensive to everyone here (including the atheists).
SL James
QUOTE (knasser)
The religions present in Shadowrun as magical traditions - native american beliefts, voodoo loas, etc are all pantheistic. Therefore compatible with the presence of other gods / totems to a greater extent than Christianity-Islam-Judaism. (I'm just going to call these the religions of the book from here on).

You're forgetting that Christianity has at least two religious systems: Theurgy (Roman Catholicism) and Exarchs (Eastern Orthodox, generally speaking).
knasser
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 11 2006, 02:37 PM)
The religions present in Shadowrun as magical traditions - native american beliefts, voodoo loas, etc are all pantheistic. Therefore compatible with the presence of other gods / totems to a greater extent than Christianity-Islam-Judaism. (I'm just going to call these the religions of the book from here on).

You're forgetting that Christianity has at least two religious systems: Theurgy (Roman Catholicism) and Exarchs (Eastern Orthodox, generally speaking).

Both of which have the same fundamental beliefs with the same holy figures. DIfferent practices, but they recognise each other, and are recognised by outsiders, as both being Christianity. Anyway, I'm lumping Christianity, Islam and Judaism together (now I really am a heretic!) so that division you picked up on is really the least of my worries. wink.gif
James McMurray
According to the "God helps those that help themselves" belief, having a summoned angel walk all over your enemies would be exactly what God would not want.
hyzmarca
So now we're argueing a point that can't be won because it is a matter of taste.

The original point of this thread is how do actual people in the game world feel about religion not about how religion should be reflected in the game world. Every modern religion been proven wrong by Earthdawn but only a handfull of SR characters know that.

In the game world you have Catholics with their rigorous logic proclaiming that magic is natural but people should be careful with in, you have the fundamentalists declaring that magic is the work of the devil and only thier magicians work miracles and summon angels, and you have the dragons who roll their eyes and humor the silly children becausse they've met plenty of Gods in their lifetimes.
SL James
And one ex-Great Dragon who openly lamented the fact that he and some of those other immortals played a hand in chipping away at not just religious institutions, but faith itself.
knasser
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 11 2006, 04:11 PM)
So now we're argueing a point that can't be won because it is a matter of taste.

Who's arguing? I hate to quote myself but didn't I just say play the game how you want? My post was a direct response to mfb's query as to why someone would give a religion special treatment. I hope he's now got an answer and understands me better.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)

The original point of this thread is how do actual people in the game world feel about religion not about how religion should be reflected in the game world.

Threads spread and that's half their interest. But you'll note that I have kept the original point alive and running through my posts and shared what I think are some interesting ideas about whether a monotheistic religion could exist in the Shadowrun setting as it is written. I think it couldn't if it was tied in directly to magic or spirits for the reasons I've given earlier at length.
Platinum
wow ... that's a really good point hyzmarca. Makes me hate the historic links between the two games.
James McMurray
I was still trying to argue from a 2060 perspective. If someone says "you can't have just summoned an angel because it would have automatically won thatnks to being God's beat stick" the response is any of my last few posts.

How religion gets handled in a game world depends on the players. My group has an atheist, an agnostic, a devout christian, two mildly christians, and a guy whose affiliation I'm unsure of. We're all pretty thick skinned though, so if I decided to have Jesus come back as a BTL addict who just got kicked out of heaven for being a moocher nobody would get offended. I'd never think of doing anything like that at a table with FanGirl present because it would (presumably) offend her.
Apathy
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 11 2006, 03:37 PM)
I hope I've put all that well.

I think this was a good (and non-judgemental) way to express your concerns, and thank you for not falling into the trap of making this personal. Having monotheists summon elementals seems perfectly reasonable to me.

That said, doesn't it say somewhere that the appearance of the spirits summoned is often influenced by the expectations of the summoner? So just because your mage summoned a fire elemental, doesn't mean that it didn't take the appearance of a winged knight riding a beam of light down from the heavens with firey sword in hand. It also doesn't mean that the mage can't believe that it's an angel, even if he's just deluding himself.

Final thought: if some GM did treat them as angels, couldn't a GM use the argument that, though the power source (God) was infinite, the conduit for that power (the faith of the summoner) was insufficient to manifest the angel's presence in its full glory? It's not like God told the angel to show up, and man doesn't really have the power to command the angel, so whatever shows up would only be as strong, or weak, as God felt the summoner deserved...

Ultimately, this is just a game, and you should use whatever rules make you and your players the most comfortable and allow you to have the most fun. Otherwise, what's the point?
knasser
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I was still trying to argue from a 2060 perspective. If someone says "you can't have just summoned an angel because it would have automatically won thatnks to being God's beat stick" the response is any of my last few posts.

If you think I've been saying that then you've misread me. I said that if this occurs in the setting then monotheistic religions can't survive as they are in that setting. Which is what we were asked about originally, i.e. how the people in the setting would view religion post awakening.
James McMurray
I think I understand. You're saying that if, in SR, someone summons an Angel, and that angel is killed, monotheism cannot continue in the form of Christianity because Angels Can't Lose. Is that correct?
knasser
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I think I understand. You're saying that if, in SR, someone summons an Angel, and that angel is killed, monotheism cannot continue in the form of Christianity because Angels Can't Lose. Is that correct?

Well you've condensed about eight paragraphs of mine into two lines you bastard, but yes.

*K. goes off to practice being concise.*
James McMurray
Then my prior responses are still valid I believe, at least from a Christian in SR (or any time period) standpoint. Angels can lose because:

1) Angels are messengers, sometimes the message might be "don't rely on angels." It's kinda like that saying "God answers all prayers, but sometimes that answer is STFU."

2) God may have a reason to have the angel fail. Angels fail in the bible, so it's reasonable to expect they could fail now.

Basically, we cannot fathom the mind of God, so if He lets His messengers be defeated in combat, He must have His reasons.
knasser
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 11 2006, 05:05 PM)
Then my prior responses are still valid I believe, at least from a Christian in SR (or any time period) standpoint. Angels can lose because:

1) Angels are messengers, sometimes the message might be "don't rely on angels." It's kinda like that saying "God answers all prayers, but sometimes that answer is STFU."

2) God may have a reason to have the angel fail. Angels fail in the bible, so it's reasonable to expect they could fail now.

Basically, we cannot fathom the mind of God, so if He lets His messengers be defeated in combat, He must have His reasons.

Indeed. That would be an argument that Christians or others would come up with. But as I said earlier in response to your posts, I think it asks too much of the religion. It is one thing to have God not appear to have helped you. It is quite another for Him to say "I'll help you... nah, I was just kidding,"

Even if the very devout justify things with such an argument, I think when the image of the F8 City Spirit squashing the angel's head like a grape beneath its concrete foot echoes round the trid stations of the World, it isn't going to do much for recruitment. Post-awakening, when so many people are so scared and have been through goblinisation, VITAS, etc. etc. Have you any idea how traumatic it would be to a religious person to see an angel being shot? The backlash would be terrifying.

Try to play Christianity or Islam or Judaism under Shadowrun rules and it would very quickly collapse. There would be a remnant form of it, which ultimately incorporated pantheistic elements into it. But it wouldn't be the same religion anymore.

I think you can choose how to handle it in your setting. Either have the monotheists summoning regular spirits and attributing their magic to skill and study, as I will. Or modify the religion so it is internally consistant with the Shadowrun setting.
mfb
QUOTE (knasser)
You can be pretty certain that the modern Christian religion considers there to be only one God. Even in the Old Testament, your references to other gods are usually shown as qualitatively different in nature to God.

yes, it is true that people tend to interpret the Bible to suit their beliefs, the way modern Christians do re: the existence of other gods. whether their interpretation of what the Bible says is correct or not doesn't alter the fact that the Bible can be read as alluding to the existence of gods other than YHWH.

QUOTE (knasser)
It is different for me as I am involved in a religion...

as i said earlier, it's perfectly fine with me if you change things in your own game, such that it doesn't offend anyone at your gaming table--you have my full permission to prosecute your games as you see fit!

that said, i still maintain that there's nothing in the Bible that makes it and SR's magic system mutually exclusive. i will allow that current Christian thought is incompatible, but the text itself holds nothing that can't be worked around.
hyzmarca
As for the issue with angels sitting around with thumbs up their asses, traditional Angeology classifes angels into a distinct buearucratic order with the most powerful of angels being given the most prestegious jobs while lesser angels are delegated tasks related to the everyday working of the universe and the lives of mere mortals. It is not unreasonable to suggest that there are lower-order angels who are tasked with answering the calls of mortal magicians. These angels would not have access to cool weapons such as flaming swords and scythes that have been sharpened since Creation so they would be significantly more vulnerable than the higher-order angels who are acting on God's personal orders.

Unless God has something personal at stake there is little reason for Him to disrupt the day-to-day workings of his kingdom and send out one of his hardcore ass-kickers.

James McMurray's arguement also does hold water. Remember Exodus? The Pharaoh was going to let the Isrealites go but God used his mind-control powers to stop that because he wanted an excuse to kick ass.
knasser
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 11 2006, 05:43 PM)
i will allow that current Christian thought is incompatible, but the text itself holds nothing that can't be worked around.

I think we have to allow the Christians to decide what Christianity is. I'm talking about Christianity as is.

hyzmaca - believe me, I am very aware of the accumulated mythology around angels. What you are coming up with is the theological argument that a desperate believer in the SR universe would come up with to justify the demonstrated weakness of God. And as I said in my last post - it's not going to do much to shore up Christianity if it's operating under the rules of the Shadowrun universe. Few people will derive much reassurance from early catholic theories about the hierarchy of angels in the face of God's demonstrated weakness.

I think I've made my case as clearly as I can. Your arguments to me do not sound as though they would convince people who had witnessed the aforementioned defeat of God's agents or power. And if they do not, then Christianity could not survive as it is in the Shadowrun universe.

Regarding your exodus example, it is recorded in the bible that God hardened the pharoah's heart. It's not as though the pharoah went out there and lifted the darkness with counterspelling which is what we're talking about here. And as pointed out, modern Christianity is not based on the Old Testament. You don't get to decide what Christianity is, I'm afraid. The majority of Christians do and it's that view of religion that I base my explanation on. My point has been that Christianity as is, is not compatible with working under the Shadowrun ruleset. If you wish to redefine Christianity to make it fit, then you have made my point for me.

I think I'm going to drop this subject now. I'm starting to feel that people are lighting the first kindlings of a flame war here. I'm interested in people understanding my point. Agreement is not required. I think I've achieved that for the majority of readers so I'm done.

-K. out.
Apathy
While I understand and respect your perspective, I don't necessarily agree with it. I don't believe that Angels are supposed to be omnipotent - only God is omnipotent. And therefore Angels could only be unbeatable if they were acting in the service (and with the support) of God (in SR terms would that be channeling God? possessed by God? With God providing spell defense and attribute boosts?) If those Angels were acting in the service of a man (the summoner) than they wouldn't necessarily have the power of God on their side, and therefore wouldn't necessarily be unbeatable. So bitch-slapping an angel would have nothing to do with the power of God. By that perspective, maybe Angels are only spirits being summoned into God's service?

That said, I'm not very informed about the Scriptures of any faith, so if what I say is contradicted anywhere, I'm open to hearing the correction.
mfb
QUOTE (knasser)
I think we have to allow the Christians to decide what Christianity is. I'm talking about Christianity as is.

no we don't--not any more than we need to allow Aesir-worshippers to decide what Aesir worship is in SR. besides, allowing modern Christians to define Christianity would mean that the first-century church couldn't be considered Christian. Christianity is rooted in the Bible, meaning that anything which springs from the Bible can basically be considered Christian.

QUOTE (knasser)
What you are coming up with is the theological argument that a desperate believer in the SR universe would come up with to justify the demonstrated weakness of God. And as I said in my last post - it's not going to do much to shore up Christianity if it's operating under the rules of the Shadowrun universe.

Christianity has survived and thrived without any proven miracles at all for two millennia, minus some change. i don't think seeing an angel get its ass kicked is going to kill it, or even change it significantly--certainly no more so than the rest of the Awakening did. people believe what they are going to believe, regardless of the evidence they are presented with.

knasser
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 11 2006, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (knasser)

no we don't--not any more than we need to allow Aesir-worshippers to decide what Aesir worship is in SR.

*bangs head*

Yes you do have to allow the Christians to decide if we're talking about how Christians would react to the Awakening. If you want to say that Christians in your setting have different beliefs than they do in the real world, then fine. But you've withdrawn any common ground for the discussion. I am, and have been all the way through this, been discussing religious belief as it actually is.

And my point has been that religious belief as it is, is not compatible with putting the main monotheistic faiths subject to Shadowrun rules, If you're changing the beliefs in order to make it fit, then you have just made my point.

-K.
mfb
QUOTE (knasser)
The point I am making is that to get Christianity to work in SR you have to change it from what it actually is. If you're changing it to make it fit in SR then you have just made my point.

what you're banging your head against is the idea that there is a single type of Christianity out there. that's not true, and hasn't been for two thousand years. it certainly won't be true in 2070.
hyzmarca
The problem is that Christians can't agree on what Christianity is today. You don't have to change Christianity at all to fit into SR. You just have to leave it is fractured and factionalized as it is today.
knasser
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 11 2006, 07:28 PM)

what you're banging your head against is the idea that there is a single type of Christianity out there. that's not true, and hasn't been for two thousand years. it certainly won't be true in 2070.

They do tend to have in common a belief that God is omnipotent which is all that I have required for what I've been saying.

In your fractionalised Christianity, do you find many that don't?

Anyhow - that's me done. You know what I'm saying and I'm sure everyone else does by now. Do what you like in your game. I hope I've offered some interesting points to everyone about the impact summoning "angels" as spirits and other divine magic, would have on the religion itself.
mfb
and, again, there's nothing in SR that says YHWH isn't onipotent. you keep saying that the defeat of an angel proves that, but you haven't yet backed that up with any logical arguments. meanwhile, myself and others have shown arguments that an angel getting his teeth kicked in doesn't prove anything.
Platinum
ok ... so everyone gets what the other is saying .... but disagree. The thread has kept cool by having continual flowing but changing topics.

So ... does anyone have any insight (not necessarilly cannon) into how buddhists, or other religions like sihk or hindu might see things? Someone with first hand faith would be nice to hear from.
FanGirl
Here's one reason why an "angel" failing to protect someone who summoned him/her/it is not necessarily proof (to a Christian) that God isn't ominpotent:
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil....
Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple.
"If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written:
   " 'He will command his angels concerning you,
      and they will lift you up in their hands,
   so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'"

Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'"
(Matthew 4:1-7)

Asking God nicely to intervene on your behalf is okay, but trying to force him to do so (such as by putting yourself in deadly danger to show everyone how God will protect you) is a sin.
James McMurray
Besides, everything that happens every where and through all times is exactly how God wanted it to be. The moment he created the universe his Omniscience told him how it would transpire and how it would end. He knew 6,000 years ago when he first lit the heavens that you would try summoning an angel to do your bidding on January 13th, 2064. And he decided at that moment to have that angel get his nose bloodied rather than get your sorry butt out of the scrape you'd gotten yourself into. smile.gif

--

I have no idea how Buddhists or Sikhs would react.

I think Hindus would fare rather well, as the majority of their gods are not omnipotent or omniscient. They could even visualize a high force summoning as actually calling forth Ganesh, and if he happens to get his butt kicked no biggie. I haven't read much more Hindu texts then the Bhaghavad Gita though, so if I'm wrong just ignore me.

Buddhism and Sikhism I've only touched upon in religion classes, which means I got a decidedly Westernized viewpoint of them, so I'll remain silent rather than reveal my ignorance and misinformation. smile.gif

edit: I said his omnipotence told him something, when it should have been his omniscience. Although technically if you've got omnipotence you've got omniscience the moment you want it.
hyzmarca
Buddhism is a very flexible religion what many factions and flavors. Usually, cultures that adopt Buddhism incorporate
their belief systems and mythologies into it.
Many Buddhist texts and doctrines acknowledge the existance of various gods and other spiritual beings. However, their importance is downplayed. In fact, by attaining enlightenment an individual can elevate himself above the gods. Some myths involve gods humbling themselves to pay tribute to Buddhas.

Some Buddhist sects would fare the Awakening better than others but, for the most part, the return of magic would have little effect on the religion. I do imagine that some would see magic as a material temptation to be avoided while others would see it as a potential path to understanding. Still, others would use magic alongside Ak-47s to accomplish their political goals.

Some powerful free spirits may take the guise of Buddhas and Bodhisattva and some may indeed be. However, it is quite easy to slot any spiritual hierarchy into the basic framework of Buddhism.

It is rather difficult to assume a single reaction from Buddhism because of the rather large variety of Buddhist factions.

Edit:
Sikhism, I have no clue.

Religious Taoism often incorporates Chinese folklore but it isn't a mythology-centered religion. Because the Tao is an impersonal force rather than a personal god one can't actually ascribe any desires or motivations to it. Gods are considered to be aspects of the Tao but so is everything else. Any god can fit into this belief system so Idols and Totems do not produce any conflicts. The practice of magic isn't an uncomon theme in certain Taoist lore so it will probably continue. It is quite possible that certain Taoist Immortals are IEs or individuals who transcended the material and became spirits.
Demon_Bob
As to the whole summoning of Angels bit.

What exactly does an Angel look like? A real one.

The spirit would take the form the summoner believes that it should have, but that does not actually make it an Angel.
Walks like a duck, Quacks like a duck is meaningless if you don't really know what a duck is.

When Angels have God's backing they should be at least Forse 12+.
Apathy
[edit]
Apathy
Hmmm, if God summons a spirit, then it's (by default) an Angel... Any spirit not summoned by Him wouldn't be. Since He's got an infinite dice pool, he gets to summon whatever (finite) level spirit/angel he wants. Just to pick a number out of the air, we can say they're level 50. At this level, they could easily do those things the bible references, like raze cities, slay armies, etc. without any effort. P

As far as looks, according to the Old Testament, it sounds like there are different looks depending on what they did (the following blatently ripped of from Wikipedia.
  • First Hierarchy:
      [1]Seraphim
      [ Spoiler ]

[2]Cherubim
      [ Spoiler ]

[3]Thrones or Ophanim
      [ Spoiler ]
  • Second Hierarchy:
      [4]Dominions
      [ Spoiler ]

[5]Virtues
      [ Spoiler ]

[6]Powers
      [ Spoiler ]
  • Third Hierarchy:
      [7]Principalities
      [ Spoiler ]

[8]Archangels
      [9]Angels
      [ Spoiler ]
James McMurray
Any spirit not summoned by Him wouldn't be.

Tell that the the hermetic clergyman that just summoned something that looks like an angel, walks like an angel, and quacks like an angel.
Apathy
Well, that's like any religious debate. The summoner may believe that the spirit in question is an angel, but that doesn't mean that it is. Just like all the different religions of the world believe their ideas to be true. Since many of those beliefs are mutually exclusive, most [if not all] of those believers must be wrong. The fact that one of them happens to be wrong doesn't mean that he believes it any less.
James McMurray
Exactly. The flip side to that statement is that it doesn't mean that it [the spirit as angel belief] isn't true as well.

A truly open-minded yet utterly devoted Christian could even convince himself that all religions are right, even his own Christianity, despite the monotheistic approach. It's possible that all Gods are aspects of The One God, merely in a different package to better reach a different culture.
mfb
there are people who believe that now.
James McMurray
Yeah, I know a couple. It's not very popular with the masses yet, but hopefully as time goes by we'll see more religious understanding and less persecution, with perhaps this mindset winning out. Either that or all religions going away. Not that it could happen, but it would definitely make the world a safer place.
mfb
mneh. i see more good coming out of religion than bad. it's just that the bad stuff tends to be big, visible, and really bad. but compare the donation/charity numbers of just about an religious organization with those of just about any athiest/agnostic organization. the basic tenant of most religions is "be a decent human being", and it's hard for me to argue with the concept of organizations based on that guiding principle.
Teux
QUOTE (mfb)
mneh. i see more good coming out of religion than bad. it's just that the bad stuff tends to be big, visible, and really bad. but compare the donation/charity numbers of just about an religious organization with those of just about any athiest/agnostic organization. the basic tenant of most religions is "be a decent human being", and it's hard for me to argue with the concept of organizations based on that guiding principle.

The thing is, most people don't need a religion to tell them to be a decent human being.

Religion just uses the traditional "carrot and stick" method to try and make you follow the rules. Today, we have the government and our families and friends to do that, without all the mythology.

I think the good things that come from religion could come without it easily, while some of the really bad things (wars, persecution, ect) come specifically because someone uses their religion as an excuse for terrible behavior. Without that excuse, many of these atrocities could have been avoided.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012