Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atheism in 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
emo samurai
The metaplanes rock.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Platinum)
that was not religion that said that ... it was science.... science also said there were 4 elements.

What science may have once said about those things is an interesting matter, and a fine subject for another discussion elsewhere. Right now, though, and supposedly in 60 years, those things continue to exist as religious beliefs in the face of insurmountable physical evidence to the contrary. Which, to me, says that certain central religious tenets can be proven to be untrue, but that does not necessarily have any effect on those who hold said beliefs.

Interpretations of gods certainly change over time (I cannot argue over whether gods themselves do), but that progress seems, to an uninformed observer, to be quite slow with large, centralized religions. So RCC, for example, might have serious trouble with the Awakening -- and did, according to canon, as SL James pointed out earlier.
Demon_Bob
Where to begin??

I don't know if there is a God, but if it gives you Peace and Hope, then so be it.
Do what you will, believe what you will, but harm none because of it.

Yes Atheism and religion will exist until the end of man.

Godlike beings of great power may appear one day, preform miracles, unravel the mysteries of the universe, show some all that was and all that will be, as well as take believers to a paradise. Still people will say there is no such things as God.

The world may fall into great suffering, and others will point to Revelations where it says God will give the Devil free reign upon the Earth for several years. They will point to the mention of the mark of the beast upon the head and hand of man, and claim that this refers to Com-links and RFID tags.
The bible says that the Devil will come in as a thief in the night, and point to all the evils that mankind has become accustomed to.

This is an interesting, but touchy subject, so let us all try our best not to upset or be upset by what may be a callous statement. Says the pot to the kettle.
Platinum
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)

QUOTE (Platinum)
that was not religion that said that ... it was science.... science also said there were 4 elements.

What science may have once said about those things is an interesting matter, and a fine subject for another discussion elsewhere. Right now, though, and supposedly in 60 years, those things continue to exist as religious beliefs in the face of insurmountable physical evidence to the contrary. Which, to me, says that certain central religious tenets can be proven to be untrue, but that does not necessarily have any effect on those who hold said beliefs.

To digress just a little bit further... and hopefully not derail things.... but aren't the bible and science proving each other more and more rather than disproving?

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Interpretations of gods certainly change over time (I cannot argue over whether gods themselves do), but that progress seems, to an uninformed observer, to be quite slow with large, centralized religions. So RCC, for example, might have serious trouble with the Awakening -- and did, according to canon, as SL James pointed out earlier.

Completely true.... and that has essentially been a huge problem with religion and is really the major flaw... interpretation and the human condition. Because something like the awakening is not really covered in the bible or some other religions, (I know there are a few that cover that material) this leaves supposition and extrapolation of what could or should happen. And in shadowrun it has been done by people that aren't even christians. Though I imagine there was a little research. Heaven only knows what would happen. I would see christianity splintering, as it has over many other issues, ie. divorce. Only by communing with God and his spirit would one figure this out.
Glyph
I think atheists and religious people will continue to argue. But magic complicates things, because people will argue about whether magic itself is divine or not. And that can be interesting, because you can have people with the same religious beliefs (or at least belonging to the same religion) arguing about magic.

Some Christians will consider magic to be an ability like being a good painter or a gifted athlete. Sure, it's a gift meant to be used for good like any other, but just as artists and athletes can abuse their gifts, you can have people misuse magic. But the bad person and the good Christian are still casting the same manabolt. Other Christians will consider their own magical abilities divine, and consider other magical beliefs to be of the devil. So now you can have conflict between Christians who will each find the others' views of magic to be heretical, or even blasphemous.

Monotheistic religions shouldn't be the only ones asking these questions, though. One thing that I found to be almost insultingly oversimplified, was that any religion that incorporated magic in its worship was supposed to automatically incorporate magic into their belief system. Never mind that "magic" as practiced by, say, a modern-day wiccan or neo-pagan is probably not anything like SR magic!

I mean, picture yourself as, say, a wiccan. You have devoted yourself to your beliefs and their practice, and are very knowledgeable about your faith. On the other hand, you know a girl, Suzie, who is a babbling, trend-following, ignorant poser. The awakening hits, and you're pretty much the same, but suddenly insipid little Suzie starts throwing around SR-type "magic". Would you automatically associate this new "magic" with your religion? Or would you be just as likely to consider it a completely separate thing?

Atheists can do some soul-searching, too. It might be fun to play an atheist who awakens as a shaman, and tries to reconcile his unbelief with his increasingly ecclesiastical visions and encounters with his Totem.
Ravor
QUOTE ("Platinum")
To digress just a little bit further... and hopefully not derail things.... but aren't the bible and science proving each other more and more rather than disproving?

Yes, and No, like all things religious, alot of the 'proof' and 'disproof' depends more upon your perspective then the nature of the evidence. I remember watching a documentary where the same ruins were being used by both sides.

As far as the Shadowrun Universe goes, personally I fall into the camp that believes that most of the same arguments about Religion will be bantered about in 2070 that are in 2006. (Of course, the branch(es) of atheistism that believes in nothing 'Supernatural' will most likely have as hard of a time adapting to the Awakening as the more hardline branches of religion, but thats a given among any of the more unflexable viewpoints.)

As for Totems and Spirits, I seem to recall reading in the fluff that they tend to manifest according to the beliefs of their Summoner, which of course would serve as proof of the divine to a religious man, while an atheist would agrue that the Spirit's form was drawn solely from the Summoner's own mind.
SL James
QUOTE (Glyph)
Atheists can do some soul-searching, too. It might be fun to play an atheist who awakens as a shaman, and tries to reconcile his unbelief with his increasingly ecclesiastical visions and encounters with his Totem.

A powerful extradimensional being bestowed power on him to manipulate "mana" and can take it away at any time. I don't see how that could convince a devoted atheist that it proves there is any god.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 8 2006, 01:25 AM)
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 7 2006, 09:21 PM)
Atheists can do some soul-searching, too.  It might be fun to play an atheist who awakens as a shaman, and tries to reconcile his unbelief with his increasingly ecclesiastical visions and encounters with his Totem.

A powerful extradimensional being bestowed power on him to manipulate "mana" and can take it away at any time. I don't see how that could convince a devoted atheist that it proves there is any god.

What is a god if not a powerful extradimensional being?
James McMurray
Almost nothing can convince a devoted anything that their beliefs are untrue. It's the guys that aren't hardcore fundamentalists that have the enjoyable-to-portay inner doubts and fears about a restructured belief system.
Ravor
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Aye, but just because everyone with green eyes also has red hair, it doesn't follow that everyone with red hair will also have green eyes... wink.gif

ShadowDragon8685
I remember someone's particular 'schtick' about God in Shadowrun.

You see, God was neither loving nor Almighty. He was real, and was a very powerful Spirit who long ago started this Religion thing. Worshippers duped into believing whatever he could get them to believe prayed, and through their inadvertant rituals (prayer) 'donated' their Karma to him.

It's really a good schtick. People persuaded to give up their Karma on false pretenses still give up karma. That would be a real monkey wrench in everyone's works, eh?
James McMurray
Nah, because you couldn't prove it unless the spirit admitted it, and why would he stop the karma train? Of course, he's already at Force 18,000 with 48,000 spirit energy by now, but he's got to compete with the other spirits that did similar things, including his supposed son Jesus, whose just another spirit riding the faith train to gluttsville.

edit: See, it doesn't really matter what actually happened, all that matters are the points people try to make while defending their own personal corner or religious theory.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Ravor)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

Aye, but just because everyone with green eyes also has red hair, it doesn't follow that everyone with red hair will also have green eyes... wink.gif

To (poorly) paraphrase Aasimov: Any sufficiently powerful unknown entity can be considered a god.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Platinum)
[...] but aren't the bible and science proving each other more and more rather than disproving?

I'm more of a scientific positivist, so I can't really agree with Ravor on this. nyahnyah.gif

Unless you personally believe that the bible is inerrant and/or in scientific foreknowledge of the bible, then you probably know there are several parts in the bible which do not agree with our perceptions of the physical world. The RCC officially acknowledges this, for example. I haven't studied the bible at all, so again I may be way off base here, but it doesn't seem to me the Awakening would mess with the much bible at all.

If you do believe in those things, then, well, this discussion is moot. smile.gif

QUOTE (James McMurray)
Of course, he's already at Force 18,000 with 48,000 spirit energy by now, but he's got to compete with the other spirits that did similar things, including his supposed son Jesus, whose just another spirit riding the faith train to gluttsville.

With that interpretation of the origins of most religions, it's just as possible that just about every appearance at different locations in different times of gods, angels, prophets, etc. are different free spirits.

In my SR3 Goes Forgotten Realms campaign, all gods are basically free spirits, only they start manifesting even greater abilities, while at the same time getting serious limitations to where, when and how they can manifest and what powers they can use on "prime material" and the astral.
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
You can still be Christian without accepting the absurd proposition that Joseph was stupid enough to believe that Mary was a pregnant virgin. Most Christian scholars accept that he probably knocked her up himself. 

Wow.

That is exactly the opposite of everything I have found in my experience. The Immaculate Conception is central to the divinity of Christ - being the direct Son of God and all. Do you know many so-called "Christian scholars" who discount other absurd propositions like the loaves and fishes, water to wine, or the ultimate absurdity, the Resurrection?

I really don't think that the awakening will would significantly affect the debate because while Magic, Meta-humanity, et cetera will certainly introduce new evidence for both sides, it does not introduce any proof. Not any objective truth at any rate. Many people will point to various pieces of evidence and claim that it is irrefutable proof of their own position, but people do that now anyway - hence no significant effect.
hyzmarca
The Bible is part historical chronical, part folklore, and part mythology couched in such a way that contempories of the authors could understand and relate to it. If you ignore the miracles, the scientificly incorrect assumptions that were taken as true by individuals back then, the mythology,the folklore, and all references to "God" it is somewhat acurate. Exact words spoken by exact individuals may have been different and some individuals may have been made up, but in a broad sense many of the events did happen. The Israelites were slaves in Egypt and they did wander in the desert for some unspecified long period of time. 40 years can't be considered accurate because it was shorthand for 'some long period of time' commonly used in ancient folktales. 40, 7, 3, and 12 can never be taken literally in these stories due to the significance of these numbers in ancient literature.

I prefer to think that Gods in SR are Free Spirits who have aligned themselves with a human ideal in a way that allows them to draw power from it, hence the Passions, Idols, and Totems. Of course, in my Abrahamic cosmology Lucifer is the good guy who champions human independance and free will. He is classified as a Fallen Angel but is a God due to his alignment with the Firebringer, The Adversary, and the Dark King.

QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat)

That is exactly the opposite of everything I have found in my experience. The Immaculate Conception is central to the divinity of Christ - being the direct Son of God and all. Do you know many so-called "Christian scholars" who discount other absurd propositions like the loaves and fishes, water to wine, or the ultimate absurdity, the Resurrection?

I went to a Methodist College. Methodists aren't very big on Biblical literalism.
Ravor
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Exact words spoken by exact individuals may have been different and some individuals may have been made up, but in a broad sense many of the events did happen. The Israelites were slaves in Egypt and they did wander in the desert for some unspecified long period of time.

Also one must consider the various translation errors that have happened over the many revisions. For example, were the Israelites actually slaves in the modern sense of the word or were they more akin to forced day laborers, paid and relavity well treated? What version of the word Virgin was meant to have been used, Untouched or Unwed?

Platinum
Some recent translations went right back to the original texts ... like the amplified and I think the NAS.

As for the interpretation of God being a free spirit, it does work well within the mechanics of SR. I think the passions are just a complete waste of text and whatever brainpower people put into them. The Passion/GD/IE metaplots are just big puddles of barf on the shadowrun sidewalk. It may work in Earthdawn but didn't work at all for shadowrun.
hyzmarca
Their is no Passions Metaplot. One Passion appeared exactly once in one short story. Passions in general were mentioned in passing in exactly one Shadowtalk post in exactly one setting book.

The Passions are old Gods, dead and dying. They have been usurped by a Pantheon of Totems and Idols. The Gods are dead. Long live the Gods.
mfb
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Of course, in my Abrahamic cosmology Lucifer is the good guy who champions human independance and free will.

heh. Heinlein much?

it's worth pointing out that there are a lot of Christians who do consider the Bible to be 100% accurate and 100% literal. i'm not sure why it's so important to them, but they tend to cling to it fairly fiercly.
ShadowDragon8685
Hmmmmm...

God (as interpreted as a Free Spirit) Vs. Lofwyr the Dragon.

.... I'd back the Greater Dragon. If only to gloat when we march triumphantly through Rome, under the Arch of Tidus, and get to tell the Pope that we pwned his God.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 8 2006, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Of course, in my Abrahamic cosmology Lucifer is the good guy who champions human independance and free will.

heh. Heinlein much?

Milton.

Does no one read Paradise Lost anymore?

Next thing people will be saying that they never heard of YHWH's estranged wife, Asherah.
FanGirl
I know about her! She Who Walks Upon The Waters, right?

That's why I was so annoyed when Dan Brown called God's consort "Shekina" in The Da Vinci Code. That's the name of the manifestation of God's spirit, as Dan would know if he weren't such an ignorant sillyhead.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I got to read some of Paradise Lost for English. From what I read in it, Satan struck me as being very stupidly stubborn and in denial. "Oh, I'm not sorry I was cast out of the magnificent glory that was Heaven. I don't ache with every fiber of my being to experience its indescribable joys again. No sir, not me. Excuse me, I've got something in my eye."
emo samurai
Then again, William Blake did comment that Milton wrote of hell while he was free and of heaven while he was imprisoned.
Platinum
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

heh. Heinlein much?

it's worth pointing out that there are a lot of Christians who do consider the Bible to be 100% accurate and 100% literal. i'm not sure why it's so important to them, but they tend to cling to it fairly fiercly.

Well ... to be counted. I believe that the bible is 100% accurate and truth, and mostly literal, but there is also an element that you have missed entirely.

Religious section read at your own peril.
[ Spoiler ]
James McMurray
Danger! Derailment flamewar alert! Fleeeeeee! wink.gif

Note to those not reading Platinum's spoiler: it wasn't a flame, just statements that I've seen start flame wars in the past.

edit: Platinum, if you want to chat, PM me.
Platinum
I tried to put it in a well labelled spoiler tag.... and not flame anyone but explain why I would personally would fall into the category mentioned by mfb. hopefully ... no one will be offended by what I said, but gain insight into why some people act certain ways.

James... not sure what you wanted to chat about.... but if you have a topic ... I am open to pm's as well.
Ravor
*Chuckles* Aye, I have to agree with James on this one, its time to break out the fire retardents... *winks*

James McMurray
I didn't mean that you were trying to upset anyone or flame them, but when statements like that are made they tend to incite others to flames, no matter how diplomatically they're presented. smile.gif
mfb
i can see Platinum's point. having grown up in a church and attended a Christian college, though, i saw a lot of people who spent--i think--way too much time arguing about whether the world is 6,000 or 8,000 years old, and way too little time preaching and practicing the actual tenants of the faith, y'know?

which i doubt will change by 206x. there are parts of Revelations and... maybe Daniel, i think, that could be construed to be talking about the Awakening.
Platinum
I will agree with that. Many times I get asked about aliens and dinosaurs and the bible.

All I can say is that I really don't know. And to me ... it really doesn't matter to me.

One thing that I have found is that some people read what they want to read.

Glad to see there haven't been any flames. And yes,... there are times that my faith is blind.
mfb
meh. if faith isn't blind, it isn't faith.
ShadowDragon8685
After all, it's hard to fleece people who think for themselves of their (pick as many as you can get away with) gold/time/blood/crops/goods/karma.
SirKodiak
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
You can still be Christian without accepting the absurd proposition that Joseph was stupid enough to believe that Mary was a pregnant virgin. Most Christian scholars accept that he probably knocked her up himself. 

Wow.

The Immaculate Conception does not refer to the Virgin Birth. The idea of the Immaculate Conception is that Mary was not subject to original sin. This is separate from both the idea that Mary was a virgin when Jesus was conceived and the idea that Jesus was both god incarnate and a man.

And I think you'd be surprised how many Christians, even clergy, don't believe in the literal truth of the Virgin Birth or even the Resurrection.

Anyways, as an atheist and an agnostic, I see nothing in the future presented in Shadowrun to challenge either. It certainly contains things I don't currently believe in (magic, dragons, practical full-auto shotguns), but none of them shed any light on the existence of an omnipotent creator god.
Crusher Bob
Eh? both the CAWS and the Jackhammer seem 'practical' and iirc a very small production run of Remington 1100s (?) was supposedly done for the Vietnam war.
Platinum
Just curious, which religion/non-religion do you think would gain the most from the awakening? myself ... I was thinking Pagans then Voodoo.
Crusher Bob
I would guess that the 'deregulated' religions would benefit the most. Centralized religions like the RCC will have to take a long time to come up with their officical positions first.
mfb
Native American shamanism. they got the most air time, at any rate... even if SR magic bears only a faint resemblance to actual NA beliefs.
SL James
Witches of whatever name/culture you wish to think of, and beliefs like voudoun/santeria/etc. (the ones that include Catholic beliefs), but even they would be after the Indians.
Glyph
But like I said in my earlier post, I think it's a bit simplistic to assume that just because a religion uses magic, it will automatically associate their religious practices with SR-style magic. Now, magic being fueled by belief, and manifesting in a way consistent with those beliefs, would certainly make it easier for many to accept - but I still think there should be some wiccans, voodoo practicioners, etc. who would be skeptical about magic being related to their faith.

Not to mention that other people/beliefs would be using the same "magic". In a way, religions like voodoo or fundie Chrisitians would have the easiest time with that, since they already include "evil" magic in their belief systems.

On the subject of the immaculate conception, that is part of Catholic belief, not shared by Protestants. The virgin birth/divinity of Christ is central to the Christian faith, though, for both Catholics and Protestants, including the mainstream as well as the fundies.
ShadowDragon8685
You know, I think the ultimate truth of Shadowrun is that athiest mages who summon up spirits in the shape of nymphs and dryads, and catholic mages who summon up spirits in the shape of avenging angels... They both have one important thing in common.

No, it's not "they're the same stats, just different skins", though that is true.

It's that they both die equally you when you unload a fully automatic shotgun in their faces. Now shut the fuck up and get on with the Run.

smile.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (Platinum)
Just curious, which religion/non-religion do you think would gain the most from the awakening? myself ... I was thinking Pagans then Voodoo.

Grecco-Roman cults. Come on, they have a god for party (Bachus), a goddess for Sex (Aphrodite), a god for Nerds (Hephaistos - Only a nerd would play with toys if he's married to Aphrodite) and one for Thiefs (Hermes). And it's a "live now" religion.
Birdy
The Atheists defence:

None needed since the THEISTS has to proof the existence. But if you insist:

+ The effects of spell magic are the same no matter what source the Mage claims
+ Spirits are also blending into one another
+ Good, sane Atheists can do magic
+ Magic IS genetic (That is IIRC proven in SR, they are still searching the Genes)
+ Self-limitating mages (Psi) are a proven fact

=> Magic works without a god. All differences are due to self-limitations and delusions. Therefor everyone that believes his power comes from a non-existing higher being is delusional and should take his medizin. For extreme cases (aka Black Magic) we recommend a fast-acting copper-lead compound

FanGirl
Wow, it kinda bothers me that the "Atheists [sic] defence" is based on the "realities" of a fictional game world.

Anyway, I'm posting a summary of the main arguments for and against the existence of God, just to add some fuel to the flames.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (FanGirl)
Wow, it kinda bothers me that the "Atheists [sic] defence" is based on the "realities" of a fictional game world.

You don't think that the well-known realities of a fictional game world should be used as basis for an argument when asked how atheists in said fictional game world might defend their stance?
FanGirl
Touché.

BTW, I'm amazed that this thread this thread has progressed this far without getting out of hand. I salute you all.
Dawnshadow
Back to the question of religions gaining the most..

Almost definately pagans (meaning Wiccans and Witches, Asatru, Druids, Shamans, those practicing Voodoo, and anyone following a path which involves the worship or veneration of ancestors).

Basically, the religions that practice, support, or include a basic framework for the use of personal power, as opposed to external power accessed solely through prayers to a divine being, gain the most. I don't know enough about most religions to say.
mfb
QUOTE (Birdy)
Magic IS genetic (That is IIRC proven in SR, they are still searching the Genes)

untrue. as of SOTA:64, they have not found the genes for magic, only for metahumanity.
hyzmarca
So one day God is getting bored. He doesn't like the fact that so many people don't worship him so he decides to go down to Earth and Materialize on the Stage at an Atheist's convention. He knocks the highly-paid guest speaker away from the podium and declare into the microphone. "I am the LORD your God, dumbasses. Bow and worship me." An Atheist in the front row stands up and challanges Him. "If you're God then prove it." God replies, "Why don't I prove that my foot is stuck up your ass."

Many people suggest that the burden of proof should be on God to prove his existance. The big problem is that God can't prove his existance. In order for God to do so he would have to prove that he isn't the infinite number of other things that he could be. Since human perceptions are limited we cannot comprehend infinity. So, if God does exist there is no way we would ever know without guessing.

Which is why diehard Atheists are about as insane as religious fundamentalists.
knasser

Within the context of the SR setting there is corroborating evidence for the existence of God (read the Christian/Islamic/Judaic one).

My logic is that magicians are now having visions of totem animals, voodoo loas, etc. etc. There is evidence for all of these that they are shaped, at least partially, by human beliefs. Example evidence are things like urban Gator shamans having their totem associated with the sewers (SR2) and other instances, which shows totemic behaviour based on popular myth / belief rather than reality; different figures having mutually incompatible religious frameworks, e.g. certain amerindian totems being involved in creation myths that cannot coincide with totems in other parts of the world,etc. which indicates that the belief structure is local; and that many of these totems / beings are relatively recent in human culture. E.g. the shaman may have a belief in creator figure X but X didn't occur in human culture until late on in human development, suggesting a cultural origin for the entity rather than existing a priori.

Even if totems et al. do not originate from human belief, they've certainly shown a willingness to adapt to it.

How does this all help make the case for God? Well in all the cannon material I've read (though I could be proved wrong), I don't recall a Christian mage summoning a spirit in the form of an angel. I don't recall any Christian mages going to the "Heaven" metaplane to commune with God or having Gabriel as a mentor spirit. The very absence of Christian beliefs manifesting in this way suggests something is very seriously up with this. I.e. there must be some force preventing it. I would propose that this is God.

You could always say that these "angels" or "God" are merely refusing to show themselves but are similar in nature to other totems, spirits etc. But even that would require a radical explanation to explain the big difference in behaviour.

-K.

p.s. Austere - I found your comment earlier quite amusing and insightful so I've sigged you. Hope you don't mind. To paraphrase the Bene Gesserit - "Fear is the joke killer." wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012