Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Atheism in 2070
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Glyph
QUOTE (James McMurray)
A truly open-minded yet utterly devoted Christian could even convince himself that all religions are right, even his own Christianity, despite the monotheistic approach. It's possible that all Gods are aspects of The One God, merely in a different package to better reach a different culture.

How is that "truly open-minded"? At least an exclusive Christian/Budhist/Muslim/whatever is admitting the existence of other points of view.

@Teux:
I think it's a little bit naive to think that without religion, atrocities wouldn't happen. At least you seem to realize that religion is the excuse, not the reason. I think that the good things that come from religion can't be discounted so easily, and the bad things would be worse, not better, without it.
FanGirl
QUOTE (Teux)
The thing is, most people don't need a religion to tell them to be a decent human being.

Religion just uses the traditional "carrot and stick" method to try and make you follow the rules.  Today, we have the government and our families and friends to do that, without all the mythology.

I think the good things that come from religion could come without it easily, while some of the really bad things (wars, persecution, ect) come specifically because someone uses their religion as an excuse for terrible behavior.  Without that excuse, many of these atrocities could have been avoided.

Yeah, because unlike those mean, stupid religious people, the non-religious never do anything irrational, selfish, or spiteful. In fact, they're such enlightened, perfect human beings that even the thought of doing harm to another person makes their stomachs turn. Of course, devout monsters such as Mother Teresa and her ilk do nothing but harm to this world, and once their evil lies about "love" and "brotherhood" are wiped from the earth, we will finally be able to live in peace. sarcastic.gif

I strongly believe that all ideologies - both secular and spiritual - have been, are, and will continue to be used as excuses for atrocities, as long is there are humans to subscribe to them. You can't always blame the system for mankind's flaws.
Synner
Just to add my 0.2¥:

A lot of the stuff in this thread is a non-issue. In Shadowrun, the major denominations of Christianity (incl. Orthodoxy, Catholicism and Reform Protestantism) agree that there is a distinction between magic and miracle. According to SR Christian doctrine (described as far back as the Grimoire), Magic (including the conjuration of spirits) is not divine in nature (hence not absolute, omnipresent, omniscent and all-powerful). It is simply the manipulation of a natural force, just like any other, that God has placed on the Earth. Church magicians practicing Theurgy are bound by this doctrine.

This means that when a Sylvestrine, a New Templar or an Exarch calls forth an "angel", he is fully aware that he is not calling forth a divine messenger or representative of the Host. He is conjuring an archetypical representation of the elemental forces associated with a particular choir/dominion. The true nature of that archetypical incarnate is what makes conjuration such an issue to Christian doctrine.

Regardless, Catholic history is full of examples of Saints getting the shaft when following the commands of God (Joan of Arc comes to mind) and it does not reflect any less on the omnipotence and omniscence of God in the eyes of Catholics. There's no reason why even the defeat of a (percieved) envoy of God would be seen any differently. In essence it is no different from a priest today evoking the aid of a Saint and not getting it (the Saint is no less saintly or touched by the divine if nothing happens).
Witness
QUOTE (Synner)
A lot of the stuff in this thread is a non-issue. In Shadowrun, the major denominations of Christianity (incl. Orthodoxy, Catholicism and Reform Protestantism) agree that there is a distinction between magic and miracle. According to SR Christian doctrine (described as far back as the Grimoire), Magic (including the conjuration of spirits) is not divine in nature (hence not absolute, omnipresent, omniscent and all-powerful). It is simply the manipulation of a natural force, just like any other, that God has placed on the Earth. Church magicians practicing Theurgy are bound by this doctrine.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the distinction is clear in the minds of the Church's flock.
FanGirl
QUOTE (Synner)
Regardless, Catholic history is full of examples of Saints getting the shaft when following the commands of God (Joan of Arc comes to mind)

Hey, they told her that they'd let her live if she stopped the damn crossdressing, but then she started doing it again!
Granted, she started wearing men's clothes again because she was sexually assaulted...but still! nyahnyah.gif

Seriously though, you remember what the Bible says: "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints" (Psalm 116:15). God letting His servants get killed in nasty ways isn't really understood as "getting the shaft;" in fact, I understand that many saints were quite happy to die for His sake. Once again, this is just my 2 nusen.

(Note: I use "nusen" to mean "1/100th of a nuyen." It is not a misspelling of "nuyen." Just want to make that clear.)
SirKodiak
QUOTE (FanGirl)
God letting His servants get killed in nasty ways isn't really understood as "getting the shaft;" in fact, I understand that many saints were quite happy to die for His sake.

I would imagine that if a prospective saint were known to have cursed god in his dying breath, for allowing him to die, and renounced his faith, that might be a bit of a hamper on him being made a saint wink.gif

QUOTE (FanGirl)
Of course, devout monsters such as Mother Teresa and her ilk do nothing but harm to this world, and once their evil lies about "love" and "brotherhood" are wiped from the earth, we will finally be able to live in peace. sarcastic.gif

Mother Teresa's crusade against contraception in a country with overpopulation issues as serious as India's was misguided at best and criminal at worst. I am not discounting the good that she did overall, but instead of being an example of the good power of religion, she is an example of how the still-good works of a person with the best intentions were twisted and lessened by her devotion to Catholic dogma.
Platinum
When someone dies a martyr, it is their decision to die and they have accepted the fact that they are willing to die for their faith. They are not going to curse God, when they decided to die for Him.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Glyph)

How is that "truly open-minded"?  At least an exclusive Christian/Budhist/Muslim/whatever is admitting the  existence of other points of view.

The Christian in question is also admitting the existence of other viewpoints. He;s not trying to shoehorn them into Christianity by saying "the people of kersplatistan have to follow the bible." He's saying "the people of kersplatistan are doing the proper thing by honoring their 53 different gods."

@Teux:
I think it's a little bit naive to think that without religion, atrocities wouldn't happen.

Yeah, because unlike those mean, stupid religious people, the non-religious never do anything irrational, selfish, or spiteful.

I think you two are replying to things that Teux did not say. Your responses imply that he thinks that religion is the root of all evil, whereas his post said that religion is the root of some evil. He isn't saying that the without religion there would be no evil, or that non-religious people never do wrong. I think we can all agree that religion has spurred some serious atrocities.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Platinum)
When someone dies a martyr, it is their decision to die and they have accepted the fact that they are willing to die for their faith. They are not going to curse God, when they decided to die for Him.

Or, the poor slub just get killed and someone later calls him a martyr to make a politcal and/or religious point. The current events in Lebanon are an excellent example.
Apathy
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 20 2006, 09:13 AM)
I think you two are replying to things that Teux did not say. Your responses imply that he thinks that religion is the root of all evil, whereas his post said that religion is the root of some evil. He isn't saying that the without religion there would be no evil, or that non-religious people never do wrong. I think we can all agree that religion has spurred some serious atrocities.

This thread is sooooo going to get locked down...That said, it's like a train wreck - I just can't look away.

I think it's fair to say that trying to define an 'us' and a 'them' is part of human nature. 'Protect the tribe against the invaders', and all that. Religion, being something common between many people that's felt very strongly, is a great outlet for this natural instict that we have. From that perspective, I think it's man's natural inclination to create strife and persecution of the outsiders that causes all this trouble, not religion itself. If we didn't have religion, we'd use race, ethnicity, national identity, political orientation, economic status, or any number of other delimiters to turn people against one another.

(Sort of the 'guns don't kill people, people kill people' argument.)
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Apathy)
I think it's fair to say that trying to define an 'us' and a 'them' is part of human nature.

I completely agree with this. I don't think we'll see a united humanity until we discover (or manufacter) an alien race.
James McMurray
This thread has been remarkably tame. When I started it I expected to get 4 good ideas, 8 meiocre ones, and a 14 page flame war. Instead it's gone 9 pages with only a few minor flareups that were quickly doused and usually arose from misunderstandings.

One thing religion has over the other factors you mentioned is it's ability to remove the fear from dying on the battlefield. Properly handled you can make your troops ready and willing to die. Without religion death on the field would be a permanent part of the battle. It's kinda like "go out there and fight. If you die you get to go to heaven and have 77 virgins, none of which are 40 years old." vs. "go out there and fight. If you die you're gone forever, but at least you'll have managed to die an American."

What really works best is when you have multiple factors working together, such as Islamic Fundamentalism ("come get your virgins for killing" + Ethnicity ("The Man wants our sulture stomped out") + social dispariites ("they worship the dollar"). Then you have a cause people want to fight for, and soldiers unafraid of death.

I think if religion went away, and took with it the promise of an afterlife, there would be a lot less people fighting wars. Wars wouldn't go away altogether of course, as people will still die for causes they believe in.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (James McMurray)
This thread has been remarkably tame. When I started it I expected to get 4 good ideas, 8 meiocre ones, and a 14 page flame war. Instead it's gone 9 pages with only a few minor flareups that were quickly doused and usually arose from misunderstandings.

That's because you're now the kinder, gentler James. biggrin.gif
I tease, I tease.

Regarding 77 virgins: Maybe this is just me, but I'd rather get 77 dirty girls, all into kinky stuff and who'll do anything. What? I'm dead, it's not like I have to worry about an STD! Dirty girls are better! love.gif
mfb
no, it was going to be 5 good ideas, 6 mediocre ones, 15 pages of flames, and you're a stupid-head.

the thing about there being fewer wars if there were no religion... see, that's complicated. are you talking about just removing religion from the picture, but leaving in the human tendency to worship things (gods, ethnic groups, celebrities, politicians)? because if so, i don't see wars declining at all; humans are inventive enough to make up reasons to kill each other without religion's help. but if you're talking about changing humans such that they no longer worship things... well, jeez. i can't even imagine what humans would be like, after that.

but just removing the afterlife... hm. i dunno, maybe. i'm not sure you'd see fewer wars, but you might see fewer soldiers.
Platinum
Regarding 77 virgins: Maybe this is just me, but I'd rather get 77 dirty girls, all into kinky stuff and who'll do anything. What? I'm dead, it's not like I have to worry about an STD! Dirty girls are better! love.gif

That's harsh ... but funny as heck.
Platinum
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 20 2006, 01:05 PM)

the thing about there being fewer wars if there were no religion... see, that's complicated. are you talking about just removing religion from the picture, but leaving in the human tendency to worship things (gods, ethnic groups, celebrities, politicians)? because if so, i don't see wars declining at all; humans are inventive enough to make up reasons to kill each other without religion's help. but if you're talking about changing humans such that they no longer worship things... well, jeez. i can't even imagine what humans would be like, after that.

but just removing the afterlife... hm. i dunno, maybe. i'm not sure you'd see fewer wars, but you might see fewer soldiers.

You also need to remove greed and ambition. Then you might have a chance.
mfb
yeah, that'd do it. on the other hand, nobody would ever accomplish anything, and the whole human race would probably die out in less than a century.
James McMurray
QUOTE (mfb)

My thoughts exactly.

Of course, there are probably hundreds of thousands of religious people that are more than happy to tell you that rilgious morality and fear of Hell are a major deterrent to commiting atrocities, and they'd be at least partially right. It's possible that while we would lose a large part of what makes us not afraid of war we'd also lose a large part of what stops people from commiting heinous crimes.

Note: I'm not saying that you need religion to be a moral person. I'm certain that it is possible for someone to be a fine upstanding pillar of the community without ever having heard of a God, much less worshipping one. I'm of the opinion that our role models teach us more about how to act than our gods. I do think there are people out there with the desire to do some despicable stuff that don't do it because "God would be mad."
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I do think there are people out there with the desire to do some despicable stuff that don't do it because "God would be mad."

I absolutely agree that there are. The question is, how do those people balance with the number of people who do despicable stuff because "God wants me to."?
mfb
well, given the number of religious people in the world who aren't committing atrocities...
Platinum
To be honest, there might be a few, but I think most of the religious attrocities have more human ambition and motivations to them. I don't think the crusades were "holy spirit" inspired.
mfb
yeah. at most, religion tends to be a handy excuse for things that you wanted to do anyway.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (mfb)
yeah. at most, religion tends to be a handy excuse for things that you wanted to do anyway.

True, but, I think that's more true for the leaders than for the soldiers. It's the leaders who want something and are telling the soldiers that the reason is religion. The soldier are doing it for the sake of religion, although they have been misinformed by the leaders.
In many cases, and IMO, of course. Obviously this is somewhat of an unfair generalization.
mfb
i think it applies to soldiers as well. most of them--the ones who fight for religion, at any rate--are young people who want a cause to fight for. zealotry is like a drug; it takes away all responsibility and concern. religion is a better supplier than most.
Moon-Hawk
Oooh, well said.
mfb
yeah, but--wait, what is this? agreement!? you're screwing with the rhythm, man!
James McMurray
Some people just refuse to play ball.
Moon-Hawk
Oops, sorry.
Um, dirty girls are better than virgins! Who wants to argue with me?
(just kidding, please don't, I like this thread and wouldn't want to see it closed)
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Oops, sorry.
Um, dirty girls are better than virgins! Who wants to argue with me?
(just kidding, please don't, I like this thread and wouldn't want to see it closed)

You know what they say about them catholic girls... dead.gif
James McMurray
If I've learned anything from modern music it's that Catholic school girls rule.
Apathy
QUOTE (James McMurray)
I think if religion went away, and took with it the promise of an afterlife, there would be a lot less people fighting wars. Wars wouldn't go away altogether of course, as people will still die for causes they believe in.

The people who actually declare wars (political leaders, etc.) are rarely if ever in any personal danger and those who are dragged along into the thick of the fighting rarely have much say about it one way or the other. How many American nineteen year olds thought that dying in Vietnam would grant them access to paradise?
James McMurray
How many Islamic Fundamentalists feel that blowing themselves up on a bus will get them into paradise? Because something is not true for one group does not make it untrue for all. Even now, with the draft gone, Americans are still lining up to fight in the Middle East. Most of them want to avenge wrongs, but there are also a lot that just "wanna kill Hadji."
mfb
if you take the fundamentalist islam out of a suicide bomber, i don't believe you'll end up with a peaceful guy. i think you'll probably end up with a guy who plants bombs on busses and leaves, rather than strapping a bomb onto himself.
James McMurray
I'd be willing to bet big money that there are thousands more fundamentalist bombers than not. I know there are more misguided fundamentalist bombers than logical and educated ones, because Islam plainly teaches that any kind of murder is wrong, but the fundamentalists read that as "killing a Mulim is wrong."

Terrorists certainly wouldn't go away, but one of the reasons for being a bomber ("he's an infidel and you'll go to heaven with free nookie forever") goes away when you remove heaven from the equation.

Of course, if you remove religion and don't replace it with another method of teaching morality you'll probably end up with a worse world. The problem in my opinion is that many religions teach that hate is an acceptable part of morality. And I don't just mean the fundamentalists whose "explosive outbursts" put them on the front page. You can still find idiots who will tell you that the Bible says that Blacks are not human, or that the Koran says that women are lesser beings.
Austere Emancipator
Suicide bombing campaigns are the brainchild of nationalist terrorists/irregulars/freedom fighters, only that was (and very much is) far, far away from anything our media and viewing public deems interesting, so we only really hear about the suicide bombing carried out by religious fundamentalists.
James McMurray
I always figured suicide bombings were the brainchild of someone who was either a) retarded, b) hated the people who believed in his cause, or c) all of the above. smile.gif
mfb
there may very well currently be more fundamentalist bombers than other types. bombers--terrorism in general--is only a small part of the larger picture, though. for instance, the longest, bloodiest, most horriffic wars tend to be based on ethnicity rather than religion.
James McMurray
True, which is one of the many reasons I said wars would not go away. Religious wars would go away. Whether they'd be replaced or not is anybody's guess.
mfb
i have faith in the ability of humanity to come up with a variety of excuses to take the place of religion.
SL James
QUOTE (Synner)
Regardless, Catholic history is full of examples of Saints getting the shaft when following the commands of God (Joan of Arc comes to mind) and it does not reflect any less on the omnipotence and omniscence of God in the eyes of Catholics. There's no reason why even the defeat of a (percieved) envoy of God would be seen any differently. In essence it is no different from a priest today evoking the aid of a Saint and not getting it (the Saint is no less saintly or touched by the divine if nothing happens).

Gosh. I could swear mfb has been saying that exact same thing for the last week or two (at least).
Apathy
I think it's an oversimplification to think that islamic fundamentalists blow themselves up just to gain a free pass to paradise. From my perspective, this kind of mentality has to be fueled by large quantities of percieved persecution, impotent rage, and hopelessness more than anything else.

Trying to draw parallels to a [vaguely] SR-type scenario:
[ Spoiler ]
James McMurray
I don't think anyone has said they blow themselves up just because of religion, but I think a lot of them would find other things to do if blowing yourself up didn't come with perks.
SL James
You mean like their family getting a check from a Saudi-government sponsored charity?

Not all the perks are intangible.
mfb
well, yeah--they'd blow other things up, rather than themselves.
James McMurray
SL James: You can buy bombers with money with or without religion. Religion gives you free ones too.

mfb: Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't bet money against it, but it's not a given.
mfb
i personally view it as a given.
James McMurray
Different strokes for different folks. smile.gif
SL James
QUOTE (James McMurray)
SL James: You can buy bombers with money with or without religion. Religion gives you free ones too.

True, but it helps.
James McMurray
Also true.

How's that for "kinder, gentler James?" Agreeing with mfb and SL James in the same day, and even in the same thread! biggrin.gif
Apathy
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Also true.

How's that for "kinder, gentler James?" Agreeing with mfb and SL James in the same day, and even in the same thread! biggrin.gif

It's a miracle! Praise Cthulu!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012