Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My mage pwns yur streetsam!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Buster
People on this forum have been complaining for years that mages are just too powerful and they need to be nerfed. Perversely, the recent forum habitués now seem to have an opposite stance. But I have yet to see a full build that does what people say they can do.

Does anyone have an "ubermage" or an "ubercybersam" that can wipe out the opposition in "normal" arenas like in a street/bar/office short-to-medium range firefight? What if both characters have to pass through wards, guards, and security systems to reach their target?

Assuming each character is chargen+35karma+50000-no-availability-limit-nuyen, and both have made the usual preparations for the run, who would win a fight like that? Opinions are nice, but builds are better.

It's time to see what you got!
HappyDaze
both have made the usual preparations for the run, who would win a fight like that? Opinions are nice, but builds are better.

My money is on the guy that shows up astrally with his whole herd of bound spirits ready to whoop some ass.
swirler
Well, as much as I've enjoyed playing mages of all varieties, I still have to stand by the one SR adage that was burnt into my brain early on. More important than "Never Deal with a dragon", or "never trust an elf."
it is this:

"It only takes one shot to geek a mage."
Gelare
QUOTE (swirler @ Oct 10 2007, 08:53 AM)

Yeah, but it takes only one overcasted Powerbolt to geek a sammie.

Shadowrun's a lethal game, that's how it rolls.
noonesshowmonkey
The last time I ran we faced a mage. Our mage mind-controlled the opposing Street Samurai and had him hack the opposing mage down in a single stroke from a katana... A strength 12 cyberarm with 5 skill and Edge can have that effect.

So... uh...

mage > street samurai < mage

or rather mind control = busted < katana > mage < ares predator to the noggin.

Whatever. Just shoot the fraggin mage in the head and sling some mojo at the Street Samurai.

- der menkey

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
~Ernest Hemingway
darthmord
QUOTE (swirler)
Well, as much as I've enjoyed playing mages of all varieties, I still have to stand by the one SR adage that was burnt into my brain early on. More important than "Never Deal with a dragon", or "never trust an elf."
it is this:

The trouble with it only taking one shot to geek a mage...

Is that you have to hit your target first. That is and always will be the hard part.
DireRadiant
Shadowrun is all series of controlled arena combats where opponents go one on one. Therefore this thought experiment is bound to have valid results.
Buster
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Oct 10 2007, 09:01 AM)
Shadowrun is all series of controlled arena combats where opponents go one on one. Therefore this thought experiment is bound to have valid results.

Spew all the sarcasm you want, but I've seen plenty of "you bust into the BBEG's office and you're jumped by someone in the shadows" and "you step out of the bar and someone takes a shot at you" scenarios. So yes, this is a limited scope scenario, but I think it will still produce some useful results. Later on we can test other scenarios and explore corner cases.
Kyoto Kid
...two words...

Thor Shot

...takes both Uber Mage & Uber Sammy out with no muss, no fuss and no dirty rings. grinbig.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (DireRadiant)

rotfl.gif
Adarael
Whoever sees the other one first.

No, seriously. If one gets the drop on the other, you can be pretty much assured they're dead. A horde of bound spirits doesn't matter if they have a hard time finding the target.
Cheops
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
both have made the usual preparations for the run, who would win a fight like that? Opinions are nice, but builds are better.

My money is on the guy that shows up astrally with his whole herd of bound spirits ready to whoop some ass.

\signed.

With 35 Karma you have Masking and Extended Masking.

Do they get to make Build/Repair rolls? If so an Enchanter/Summoner would be pretty sick with these parameters.
Jaid
QUOTE (Cheops)
QUOTE (HappyDaze @ Oct 10 2007, 01:30 PM)

\signed.

With 35 Karma you have Masking and Extended Masking.

Do they get to make Build/Repair rolls? If so an Enchanter/Summoner would be pretty sick with these parameters.

with build/repair rolls, the sammy is getting all his 'ware at half price because he owns the appropriate medical facilities and a few skillsofts.
mfb
i don't believe that the OP is talking about having the mage and the street sam fight each other to the death. i believe he's talking about general lethality--which one is more effective at taking out their opposition in any given situation.
Adarael
Huh, I guess you're right.

There's no way to answer that question. At least no answer other than "How many kilos of C4, how many grenades, and how many drones do they both have?" SO much of effectiveness comes down to proper planning and getting the drop on people that it's like asking "Which is more deadly, a Nuke Sub or an Aircraft Carrier?"

They BOTH kill you plenty. Are we gonna count the atoms of the target that are left after both have their way? Measure the blood splat?
Buster
QUOTE (mfb)
i don't believe that the OP is talking about having the mage and the street sam fight each other to the death. i believe he's talking about general lethality--which one is more effective at taking out their opposition in any given situation.

Now that I think about it, either interpretation is worthy of discussion.
Tarantula
Well, in a they just spotted each other and go fight, both spend edge to go first, then its down to initiative, sam probably has wired, mage probably has increased reflexes. If the sam goes first, he drops the mage, if the mage goes first, he drops the sam.
Whipstitch
My money's on a well-built Mage. It's easier than people think to make a Mage that goes first. Intuition for a drain attribute, Reaction Enhancers, Cybereyes and the Increase Reflexes spell can make for a deadly combination. It's possible to make a Samurai that's just as fast, but at the end of the day mundanes can't counterspell but mages can still go on full defense, so it's arguable which character has more "survivability", especially when dealing with Ork mages who can easily have 4+ body with few sacrifices.

In all honesty, however, I've always felt that such things are beside the point. I mean, yes, my mage can clear a whole squad of Will 3 mooks simply by splitting my casting pool in half and casting two overlapping Force 6 StunBalls and still probably soak the drain, but I usually pass on the opportunity. Why? Because the bloody samurai can do the same thing with a couple of grenades and he doesn't have to risk drain at all nor does he end up leaving multiple astral signatures laying around. I know a lot of people don't worry about ritual magic all that terribly often, but I can tell you from experience that you do -not- want corp mages targeting your Mage with a Force 8 Ignite spell just as the Red Samurai are kicking down your apartment door.
DTFarstar
Honestly, in a scenario where they just happen upon each other, not a run, I give the ups to the SS, he's probably got a higher initiative, because only insane mages wander around sustaining or having sustained on them a force 4 improve reflexes all day when not running. Can we say Focus Addiction? Sammy pulls out his Pred and pops 2 in the mages skull or cuts him in half with his other licensed weapon. HOWEVER, given proper preperation, the only thing that can reasonably stop a mage is another mage. That is how magic rolls in every system I've ever seen, and why it is so hard to do combats/contests like this. In a barfight? Sammy wins unless he screws the pooch on initiative. In an arena combat? Someone is getting spirit swarmed while someone else is improved invis and concealed stealthing around with his skillwired stealth. Or for that matter the mage just summons(not binds) a Force 8 Guardian spirit, first aids the drain away then when it is time for the run he's like "Possess me!" and channels him while beating the living crap out of everything. It all depends on the situation and you have to be really specific. Sammy's are ready for anything they can handle nearly all the time, barring needing heavy duty munitions, Mages take a little while to gain momentum, but given prep time they obliterate the opposition. That is the general nature of physicality vs. magic in most systems, the physical is always there, the magic is more powerful, but it takes awhile.

Chris
Whipstitch
There's still the sticky issue of Reaction Enhancers, however. It's unfortunate for mundanes, but a mage built for speed isn't really at much of a disadvantage compared to a Samurai, especially since they likely only need a single round to drop a Samurai who doesn't have counterspell support.
Jaid
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
There's still the sticky issue of Reaction Enhancers, however. It's unfortunate for mundanes, but a mage built for speed isn't really at much of a disadvantage compared to a Samurai, especially since they likely only need a single round to drop a Samurai who doesn't have counterspell support.

it doesn't matter if the mage can drop the sammy in one round.

the sammy can also drop the mage in one round. or did you think an unprepared mage is going to be able to do much about getting shot twice with a defiance ex shocker taser (one from each hand of the ambidextrous sammy)?
Whipstitch
If the Samurai goes first and if the Mage fails his Full Defense rolls. Granted, full defense is only a good move for the Mage if he has his Increase Reflexes up or Edge to spend on gaining an extra pass, but a Samurai at best has just his Will and Edge pool to defend against a manabolt if he doesn't have outside help. Either character only needs a single pass to kill but one cannot use his extra passes on defense while the other can. That's a pretty big disadvantage even in a game where it pays to be the aggressor.
KarmaInferno
Why would the sammy be wasting his time with bullets?

Explosives are much more certain to do the job.

Mages have access to explosives too. Hell, the logic tradition mages could probably do a better job than the samurai and could remote detonate with Magic Fingers if they wanted to. And that's really the only true imbalance between mundanes and Awakened: The game is a skill based rather than class based system, yet one set of characters has an entire world opened up to them that remains closed off to everyone else right from chargen. It's an issue that's held in check only by the GM and the fact that people are likely to move onto new characters well before karma is so plentiful that mundanes lack for advancement options.

PS: I don't actually think Mages really need nerfing or anything. They die just like everyone else, so they're not truly gamebreakers.
Adarael
You run into the dead wall of "How many actions can you take per pass?"

The mage can throw the manabolt...OR he can throw the explosives. He can't do both, unless he has spirits throw the explosives.

Which opens the door to the street sam's drones throwing his explosives.
Whipstitch
Again though... Mages can have drones. My brother's got a MystAd Hacker/Rigger/Summoner sheet that keeps our GM awake at nights. The character is fragile as hell and can't use sorcery at all, but it still illustrates the concept that the Awakened can crossover into some technological specializations while mundanes can't really dabble in magic. Again, I realize that this is hardly gamebreaking. You could give a character access to every ability in the game but if he can only choose to use one at a time then there's really no guarantee that he will succeed. Mages aren't outright broken, they just have a disproportionate number of options available to them by design. They have an advantage, it's just often a theoretical one and it's certainly not always powerful enough to overcome falling into disfavor with the almighty dice gods.
GryMor
Hmm, 35 karma, enough for group membership, two initiations and a force 1 ally spirit to sustain your spells?

Possession tradition mage wins...
Jaid
QUOTE (GryMor)
Hmm, 35 karma, enough for group membership, two initiations and a force 1 ally spirit to sustain your spells?

Possession tradition mage wins...

sure, and he'll get those spells disrupted every time he goes just about anywhere, and he'll get some extra-thorough SIN checks every time a LS patrolling mage or spirit sees him (have fun explaining why you need to have 4 IPs and +10 to dodge bullets) and also expect to be a few boxes short of full health all the time (you're recasting the spells every time you go through a ward, apparently).

so sure, if you can sustain all those spells all the time without problems (hint: you can't) then sure, no problem.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey)
The last time I ran we faced a mage. Our mage mind-controlled the opposing Street Samurai and had him hack the opposing mage down in a single stroke from a katana... A strength 12 cyberarm with 5 skill and Edge can have that effect.

So... uh...

mage > street samurai < mage

or rather mind control = busted < katana > mage < ares predator to the noggin.

Whatever. Just shoot the fraggin mage in the head and sling some mojo at the Street Samurai.

- der menkey

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
~Ernest Hemingway

I think you got your greater-than and less-than symbols mixed up.

Remember, the alligator always eats the bigger one.

1<2<3

3>2>1

Adarael
True, the mage can have drones. But realistically, given Buster's limitations on karma and money, the Sam will have more and/or better drones. Because the mage will have to spend more BP to get his mageyness and his magic stat up high, and then will have to pay BP for magical gear and whatever cyber he wants.

I.E. the sam has more points to put towards drones.
Buster
QUOTE (Adarael)
True, the mage can have drones. But realistically, given Buster's limitations on karma and money, the Sam will have more and/or better drones. Because the mage will have to spend more BP to get his mageyness and his magic stat up high, and then will have to pay BP for magical gear and whatever cyber he wants.

I.E. the sam has more points to put towards drones.

Don't feel limited to my original post, I just wanted to keep the discussion away from "if I have a million karma and 10 million nuyen..." Feel free to post multiple builds based on different levels of experience such as "Starter-game", "Mid-game", and "Oh-my-god-I'm-sick-of-this-game" builds.
Adarael
I actually like the limits, because if we just go, "Well, take an extra million and 150 karma", it gets ridiculous. At that level, you start asking questions like, "Well, has my Street Sam become a cyberzombie?" or "Has my mage found a free spirit's true name?"

The limits keep my brain working within the "What can I do after about 10-15 games?" limit.

I'll see if I can't work out some "Uber beatdown" machines when I get home.
Gelare
QUOTE (Adarael)
I'll see if I can't work out some "Uber beatdown" machines when I get home.

I'm sure you can, and please do, maybe I'll throw my players a curveball for the next boss they have to smash. But it is ultimately going to boil down to, who gets the first shot. Whether it's full auto from a Panther Cannon or a Force 12+ Whatever, someone's gonna get killed in the first initiative pass.
Adarael
Panther Cannons don't get full auto, alas.

But otherwise, yes, that's generally my feeling as well.
Cain
You're forgetting Edge. I've yet to see a mage build with 8 Edge, whereas I've seen lots of mundane builds with maxed-out Edge. 8 Edge will soak the first spell tossed at you, so even if the mage goes first (and with a ton of cyber, he can't overcast especially high anyway) the sam will get in the last word.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Adarael)
Panther Cannons don't get full auto, alas.

But otherwise, yes, that's generally my feeling as well.

...but a Victory Rotary Assault cannon does...

...oopsie, still gotta wait for Arsenal yet...my bad
Fortune
QUOTE (Cain)
8 Edge will soak the first spell tossed at you, so even if the mage goes first (and with a ton of cyber, he can't overcast especially high anyway) the sam will get in the last word.

I wouldn't count on that. You haven't investigated the absolute beauty of multi-casting low-to-mid level Combat Spells (especially mana-based ones). wink.gif
Riley37
QUOTE (Adarael)
Which opens the door to the street sam's drones throwing his explosives.

Ah, but running a bunch of drones takes just a commlink and the drones, and a mage can have those just as easily; more so, perhaps, as the mage isn't spending money on 'ware. For the BP cost of one rank in a skill, you can have a squad of Dobermans with AK-97s.
Buster
I put together this little summoner that has Initiative 33, 4 IPs, Edge 6, physical attributes all 13+, and Immunity to Normal Weapons 24. Name a weapon or explosive that can punch through that. And he isn't even finished yet, I have 63 BP left over to make him really powerful.

This conjurer is extremely versatile. He normally "wears" a Guardian spirit, but if he needs to spoof a door or do other technical work, he can summon a Task spirit. If he needs some special inside information (such as through Divination), he can summon a Guidance spirit.

His only weakness is that his possession spirit will trip Wards, so he'll be vulnerable for the single IP it takes for him to drop his possession spirit, walk into the ward, and metaplanar shortcut the spirit back into him. He could potentially take a lot of drain from summoning the spirit every sunrise and sunset, but he has plenty of Edge for an unlucky dice roll and he has cyberware and a first aid kit to handle the rest. I might spend the 63 free BP on Binding skills and foci to eliminate that potential threat.

For offensive abilities he can either hit his opponents with repeated stunballs, physical bolts, or influence spells. Or with his 13 Strength and natural weapons from the Guardian spirit, he could just walk up and tear his opponent apart with his bare claws.

Suck it muggles!

QUOTE (Doctor Munchkinheusen)

Build point summary:
0 Human
0 Physical Attributes
80 Mental Attributes
125 Special Attributes
78 Active Skills
15 Positive Qualities
-35 Negative Qualities
24 Learn 8 spells
5  Bind rating 2 foci
45 Cyberware + Gear (225,000 ¥)
0 Contacts
= 337 BP Total
= 63 BP to spend on a nice haircut

7 karma  Initiate rating 1 (Channeling)
8 karma  Initiate rating 2 (Ally Conjuration)
8 karma  Ally force 1
10 karma Initiate rating 3 (Centering)
2 karma  specialize Summoning
= 35 karma

Drain Resistance dice: 14 = 4 Int + 5 Willpower + 1 Daredrenaline + 1 Trauma Damper + 3 Centering

Drain Resistance (augmented): 23 = 9 Int + 9 Willpower + 1 Daredrenaline + 1 Trauma Damper + 3 Centering

Initiative:  33 = 21 React + 9 Int + 3 inc ref.

Spells sustained by ally spirit:
Increased Reaction force 9 (DV 2)
Increased Intuition force 9 (DV 2)
Increased Willpower force 9 (DV 2)
Increased Reflexes force 4 (DV 1) +3 init, +3 IP
Physical Mask force 6 (DV 4) (hides the shamanic mask effect of his possession spirit)

Possessing spirit: rating 12 Guardian
Summoning: 19 dice (6 magic + 6 summoning + 2 spec + 2 power focus + 3 summoning focus)
vs 12 dice from spirit
DV = 2 * raw hits scored by spirit
Immunity to Normal Weapons 24
+12 all physical attributes
Dual Nature

Detailed Build:
METATYPE: Human (0 BP)
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES (0 BP)
Name Score  Cost
Bod: 1 (13)  0
Agil: 1 (13)  0
Reac: 1 (9) (21)  0
Str: 1 (13)  0

MENTAL ATTRIBUTES (80 BP)
Name Score  Cost
Cha:  1  0
Int:  5 (4)(9) 40
Log:  1  0
Will:  5 (7)  40

SPECIAL ATTRIBUTES (125 BP)
Name Score  Cost
Edge:  6  50
Magic:  6  75 (bought back 1 Magic from Essence loss)
Ess:  5.00

ACTIVE SKILLS (78 BP)
Skill Rating Cost
Summoning 6 (Guardian 8_)  26
Spellcasting 4 (Manipulation 8_) 18
Counterspelling 4 (6) (Combat 8_) 18
Assensing 4    16

POSITIVE QUALITIES (15 BP)
Mystic Adept 10
Mentor (Adversary) 5

NEGATIVE QUALITIES (-35 BP)
(whatever)

SPELLS (8 = 24 BP)
Stunball
Powerbolt
Physical Mask
Increased Reflexes, Reaction, Intuition, Willpower
Influence

CYBERWEAR + GEAR (225,000 nuyen, 45 BP)

FOCI (5 BP binding)
50000 Power Focus (rating 2)
45000 Summoning Focus (Guardian) (rating 3)
45000 Spellcasting Focus (Combat) (rating 3)
15000 Counterspelling Focus (Combat) (rating 3)
30000 Sustaining Focus (rating 3)
30000 Binding Focus (rating 3)
= 95,000

CYBERWARE (Cost = 128,000 ¥)
Cost  Essence Name Rating
25000  (0.1)  EPE: Daredrenaline (+1 all Willpower tests)
40000 (0.2) Trauma Damper (-1 Stun or 1 Physical -> 1 Stun)
(40000) (0.3) Pain Editor (+1 Will, -1 Int, no effect from Stun)
12000  0.64 Skillwires 4 (alpha)
(4000)  upgrade to Skillwires 4
3000  0.1 Skillwires Expert System
= 80,000

12000 ActiveSoft: First Aid 4
12000 ActiveSoft: Dodge 4
12000 ActiveSoft: Perception 4
12000 ActiveSoft: Infiltration 4
= 48,000

GEAR (Cost = 2,000 ¥)
(whatever)
Biomonitor
First Aid Kit (rating 6)
Fake Sin (rating 4)
Fake License (practice magic) (rating 4)

Whipstitch
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 10 2007, 07:40 PM)
I wouldn't count on that. You haven't investigated the absolute beauty of multi-casting low-to-mid level Combat Spells (especially mana-based ones). wink.gif

Heh. I got a mage who straight out of chargen nuked a squad of 7 guys by pasting them with two overlapping Force 8 Stunballs in one round and only took 1 point of physical drain (and then mostly because I rolled kind of bad on the second drain test). Focused Concentration 1, Mentor Spirit, Spellcasting Foci, Cerebral Booster 2 and Platelet Factories= Good Times.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Adarael @ Oct 10 2007, 04:55 PM)
I actually like the limits, because if we just go, "Well, take an extra million and 150 karma", it gets ridiculous.

No kidding. If we were to play the infinite karma card I'd just go ahead and sheet up a cybered mage with .1 essence and a decent Magic score right now and be done with the whole exercise cyber.gif
Orient
Edit: Nevermind
MadDogMaddux
QUOTE (Buster)
I put together this little summoner that has Initiative 33, 4 IPs, Edge 6, physical attributes all 13+, and Immunity to Normal Weapons 24. Name a weapon or explosive that can punch through that. And he isn't even finished yet, I have 63 BP left over to make him really powerful.

This conjurer is extremely versatile. He normally "wears" a Guardian spirit, but if he needs to spoof a door or do other technical work, he can summon a Task spirit. If he needs some special inside information (such as through Divination), he can summon a Guidance spirit.

His only weakness is that his possession spirit will trip Wards, so he'll be vulnerable for the single IP it takes for him to drop his possession spirit, walk into the ward, and metaplanar shortcut the spirit back into him. He could potentially take a lot of drain from summoning the spirit every sunrise and sunset, but he has plenty of Edge for an unlucky dice roll and he has cyberware and a first aid kit to handle the rest. I might spend the 63 free BP on Binding skills and foci to eliminate that potential threat.

For offensive abilities he can either hit his opponents with repeated stunballs, physical bolts, or influence spells. Or with his 13 Strength and natural weapons from the Guardian spirit, he could just walk up and tear his opponent apart with his bare claws.

Suck it muggles!

QUOTE (Doctor Munchkinheusen)

Build point summary:
0 Human
0 Physical Attributes
80 Mental Attributes
125 Special Attributes
78 Active Skills
15 Positive Qualities
-35 Negative Qualities
24 Learn 8 spells
5  Bind rating 2 foci
45 Cyberware + Gear (225,000 ¥)
0 Contacts
= 337 BP Total
= 63 BP to spend on a nice haircut

7 karma  Initiate rating 1 (Channeling)
8 karma  Initiate rating 2 (Ally Conjuration)
8 karma  Ally force 1
10 karma Initiate rating 3 (Centering)
2 karma  specialize Summoning
= 35 karma

Drain Resistance dice: 14 = 4 Int + 5 Willpower + 1 Daredrenaline + 1 Trauma Damper + 3 Centering

Drain Resistance (augmented): 23 = 9 Int + 9 Willpower + 1 Daredrenaline + 1 Trauma Damper + 3 Centering

Initiative:  33 = 21 React + 9 Int + 3 inc ref.

Spells sustained by ally spirit:
Increased Reaction force 9 (DV 2)
Increased Intuition force 9 (DV 2)
Increased Willpower force 9 (DV 2)
Increased Reflexes force 4 (DV 1) +3 init, +3 IP
Physical Mask force 6 (DV 4) (hides the shamanic mask effect of his possession spirit)

Possessing spirit: rating 12 Guardian
Summoning: 19 dice (6 magic + 6 summoning + 2 spec + 2 power focus + 3 summoning focus)
vs 12 dice from spirit
DV = 2 * raw hits scored by spirit
Immunity to Normal Weapons 24
+12 all physical attributes
Dual Nature

Detailed Build:
METATYPE: Human (0 BP)
PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES (0 BP)
Name Score  Cost
Bod: 1 (13)  0
Agil: 1 (13)  0
Reac: 1 (9) (21)  0
Str: 1 (13)  0

MENTAL ATTRIBUTES (80 BP)
Name Score  Cost
Cha:  1  0
Int:  5 (4)(9) 40
Log:  1  0
Will:  5 (7)  40

SPECIAL ATTRIBUTES (125 BP)
Name Score  Cost
Edge:  6  50
Magic:  6  75 (bought back 1 Magic from Essence loss)
Ess:  5.00

ACTIVE SKILLS (78 BP)
Skill Rating Cost
Summoning 6 (Guardian 8_)  26
Spellcasting 4 (Manipulation 8_) 18
Counterspelling 4 (6) (Combat 8_) 18
Assensing 4    16

POSITIVE QUALITIES (15 BP)
Mystic Adept 10
Mentor (Adversary) 5

NEGATIVE QUALITIES (-35 BP)
(whatever)

SPELLS (8 = 24 BP)
Stunball
Powerbolt
Physical Mask
Increased Reflexes, Reaction, Intuition, Willpower
Influence

CYBERWEAR + GEAR (225,000 nuyen, 45 BP)

FOCI (5 BP binding)
50000 Power Focus (rating 2)
45000 Summoning Focus (Guardian) (rating 3)
45000 Spellcasting Focus (Combat) (rating 3)
15000 Counterspelling Focus (Combat) (rating 3)
30000 Sustaining Focus (rating 3)
30000 Binding Focus (rating 3)
= 95,000

CYBERWARE (Cost = 128,000 ¥)
Cost  Essence Name Rating
25000  (0.1)  EPE: Daredrenaline (+1 all Willpower tests)
40000 (0.2) Trauma Damper (-1 Stun or 1 Physical -> 1 Stun)
(40000) (0.3) Pain Editor (+1 Will, -1 Int, no effect from Stun)
12000  0.64 Skillwires 4 (alpha)
(4000)  upgrade to Skillwires 4
3000  0.1 Skillwires Expert System
= 80,000

12000 ActiveSoft: First Aid 4
12000 ActiveSoft: Dodge 4
12000 ActiveSoft: Perception 4
12000 ActiveSoft: Infiltration 4
= 48,000

GEAR (Cost = 2,000 ¥)
(whatever)
Biomonitor
First Aid Kit (rating 6)
Fake Sin (rating 4)
Fake License (practice magic) (rating 4)

Aye, but how did he live to make it to 35Karma? spin.gif
Buster
By giving his possession spirit explicit instructions for everything until he finished his first Stuffer Shack run and got his 7 karma to buy Channeling. Besides he's got 63 BP unspent, that's a lot of BP to fill in the cracks.
kzt
The basic issue is that to do something offensive a street sam needs to visibly act. A mage doesn't. The mage sitting at the bar with his back to the sammie can be dropping sequential fire spirits on the sammie across the room and there just isn't any way for the sammie to know who is doing it. And if the mage is invisible it's just silly.

Same way, sammie walks into the crowded bar and get hit with a force 8 manabolt and takes 11 body. Even if he soaks it with edge, who did it? What are you going to do about it? Was it someone he can see? Was it an invisible mage? Is the mage outside in the limo and not inside? Is it the guy in the corner?

If the mage walks in the door and gets shot he's got a hell of a better idea about who did it. As does everyone else in the room.
Whipstitch
Which blows a lot of holes in the whole "Geek the Mage first!" plan, btw. My mages typically have 3-4 body and strap on a lined coat or armored jacket and wave around a predator around just like every other two bit ganger and wannabe Samurai on the streets; unless you're magically active it's rather tricky to notice who exactly the mage is until he's unloaded on you with a Lightning Ball.

BTW; you can't actually have a Pain Editor active and benefit from a Trauma Damper at the same time. You'll have to settle for Platelet Factories for full compatibility, but that's hardly too big of a nerfing.
Orient
Beyond the 35 Karma, one should note that force 12 spirits aren't exactly legal. That point can't really be argued, as walking like that in an A or better neighborhood will result in a pretty quick escalation of Bad Things ™ with the fuzz. This means the character can't parade around with that thing channeled all the time.

Which, ultimately, will lead to him needing to make that "19 dice vs 12" dice roll fairly often. I'm too lazy to post the math. But it represents a pretty significant problem...

Anyhow, characters built like that tend to manifest pretty clear glass jaws under all but the most retarded GMs.

How do these sorts of discussions go on for so long, given how incredibly contrived the topic is? I can't say that "Ultimate Doom characters face off at 30 meters" is representative of any sort of significant portion of my Shadowrun experience..

<<shrug>>
Buster
Sure he can walk around with that spirit channeled all the time. Loading and unloading a possession doesn't consume services, it's explicit in the RAW so how is he going to take drain more than at sunrise and sunset? Also, who is going to notice the possession spirit? He has Physical Mask to hide the shamanic mask effect from the spirit and people with astral perception high enough to spot it aren't exactly common. Besides he has a fake license to practice magic, so no worries.

Where's his "glass jaw"? You said it was clear, but didn't actually mention any weakness.
Orient
"People with astral perception high enough to notice a force 12 spirit" will most likely include every single character that has (a) astral perception, and (b) eyes.

Bumping around with active magic juju over a certain force is illegal. If your GM rules that a simple fake license takes care of that, well, more power to you. I've seen GM rule that fake licenses for carry/conceal on milspec weaponry is acceptable, so...

Wait .. "loading and unloading a possession doesn't consume services"..?
pbangarth
QUOTE (Orient @ Oct 10 2007, 11:51 PM)

Wait .. "loading and unloading a possession doesn't consume services"..?

Nope. And neither does Materialization. You can have a spirit materialize or possess and do valet chores the whole day long and not use a service. See SM pages 94-95, "Spirit Services".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012