Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My mage pwns yur streetsam!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
kzt
Watchers are STUPID.

The one free slot that a combat and investigation mage has is probably more cost effectively reserved for calling up a spirit he needs for something urgent. Like movement or finding a wanted suspect or concealing a team. You really don't want to be having to bind your force 6 combat spirits very often because you ran them out of services they you could have summoned a force 3 spirt for, but couldn't because some idiot in command had you running a rock stupid watcher spirit around.

So Lone Star gets to cough up $3000 and a full day of you time to TRY to bind another, plus the two other mages to cover you during the attempt, in case you pass out and the force 6 fire spirit goes uncontrolled in the station.

Hmm, 12 dice against 12 dice. Bet it's going to take a few days. . .

So this is cost effective how again?
Buster
QUOTE (Spike)
Buster: Please, by all means explain this thing of yours. Acting smug and claiming to know something you can't be arsed to explain doesn't win you any cred with anyone.

Stay tuned, I'm going to film my infomercial this weekend.
Fortune
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 12 2007, 01:06 PM)
If a mage has 5 bound watchers he isn't going to be a lot of help when they have a huge magical attack and he needs a slew of combat spirits to help out a team in trouble.

Watchers don't count against your limit of Bound Spirits. In fact, you could have your Charisma rating of bound Spirits and your Charisma rating of Watchers ... plus one non-bound Spirit as well.
Ravor
Damn, I've really got to get access to my books again, I missed that little gem completely.

However personally I see scanners/Watchers as only really being a major problem in the highest rated security zones, Lonestar and it's rivals don't want to actually stamp out crime, they just want to fight it enough that people stay scared enough continue to buy service.

Besides, as long as the Runners don't target a company that contracts them then why should Lonestar care whether or not they are illegal provided everything is concealed enough that the sheep aren't thrown into a panic?

*Edit*

Yes, I understand that Lonestar and crew would want to know what the Runners were carrying, if for no other reason then to know how much of a bribe to levy, but as long as the Runners aren't bothering paying customers it is more cost effective and safer to hassle some poor slot who is guilty of "driving while orc".
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fortune)
If a mage has 5 bound watchers he isn't going to be a lot of help when they have a huge magical attack and he needs a slew of combat spirits to help out a team in trouble.

Watchers don't count against your limit of Bound Spirits. In fact, you could have your Charisma rating of bound Spirits and your Charisma rating of Watchers ... plus one non-bound Spirit as well.

...I'm just glad they made binding tougher and with more negative consequence. In previous editions it was a GM's nightmare to deal with one elf Hermetic who had 8 elementals and 8 watchers (which also had force ratings) let alone two.

If I wanted to do a pitched battlefield campaign, I'd play a tabletop miniatures strategy game instead.
Steak and Spirits
Heh. I love Arcane vs. Samurai threads. It never fails that someone will overlook that there are no inherient advantage to being a Mundane character except that you can raise attributes and skills while a Mage is busy raising magic.

...As if having less options to spend Karma on was somehow an advantage. nyahnyah.gif

I'm sure I'll be rehashing old points, but the single greatest advantage Awakened Characters have is that it inevitably takes another Awakened Character to counter them. And what saves mundane characters from awakened characters? Why, other awakened characters generous to lend spell resistance dice do, of course!

It's a silly point to really even argue. The fact of the matter is that Mundane characters are cooler because Science Fiction is superior to silly floofy elf shaman fantasies. But there is no numeric advantage to playing a Mundane. At all.

And since the outcomes of most contested moments in an RPG are decided by dice, which stems from probability, which is mathematic, which is based on numeric traits...

Well, as I said. There isn't much of a leg to stand on. And the issue only compounds itself as the game goes on.

-ss

P.S. Attribute/Skill caps don't help the matter, either. And don't give me that silly shit about overlooking the themeatic aspects of the game, or rollplaying instead of roleplaying.

EDIT:

In the spirit of actually adding something useful to this conversation, I should probably point out that the most effective By The Numbers character will be a Hybrid character that integrates the advantages of both Cyber/Bio/Whatever with their magic abilities. Even at the expense of being an UberMage the spell defense alone is worth its weight in gold.
darthmord
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits)
Heh. I love Arcane vs. Samurai threads. It never fails that someone will overlook that there are no inherient advantage to being a Mundane character except that you can raise attributes and skills while a Mage is busy raising magic.

...As if having less options to spend Karma on was somehow an advantage. nyahnyah.gif

I'm sure I'll be rehashing old points, but the single greatest advantage Awakened Characters have is that it inevitably takes another Awakened Character to counter them. And what saves mundane characters from awakened characters? Why, other awakened characters generous to lend spell resistance dice do, of course!

It's a silly point to really even argue. The fact of the matter is that Mundane characters are cooler because Science Fiction is superior to silly floofy elf shaman fantasies. But there is no numeric advantage to playing a Mundane. At all.

And since the outcomes of most contested moments in an RPG are decided by dice, which stems from probability, which is mathematic, which is based on numeric traits...

Well, as I said. There isn't much of a leg to stand on. And the issue only compounds itself as the game goes on.

-ss

P.S. Attribute/Skill caps don't help the matter, either. And don't give me that silly shit about overlooking the themeatic aspects of the game, or rollplaying instead of roleplaying.

EDIT:

In the spirit of actually adding something useful to this conversation, I should probably point out that the most effective By The Numbers character will be a Hybrid character that integrates the advantages of both Cyber/Bio/Whatever with their magic abilities. Even at the expense of being an UberMage the spell defense alone is worth its weight in gold.

Yup. If you can work it, a small cost in cyber/bio-ware to go along with your magic can make you significantly more powerful than just all cyber/bio or all magic.

Then again, when questions like this came up in my old group, the showstopper would be when someone would ask who is running what. If it was a mage of some sort and I was running it, folks would say I'd win. If it was a street sam of some flavor and James (one of the other players) was running it, they'd lean toward him.

If him and I were playing vs one another, folks would roll dice or flip coins to see who to root for. He was as good at playing street sams as I was at playing magical types.

Having a good tool will only get you just so far. Having the skill to use the tool will take you much much further.
Cain
QUOTE (Fortune)

Exactly!

Watchers aren't smart, but they can easily be tasked to "Come back and report if you see something more powerful than X". Seeing a force 12 spirit is certain to make them go screaming back to mama.
kzt
QUOTE (Cain)
Watchers aren't smart, but they can easily be tasked to "Come back and report if you see something more powerful than X". Seeing a force 12 spirit is certain to make them go screaming back to mama.

Ok, but there is also a reason why Dunklezahn's will had a curse consisting of a spirit who would contact someone every 20 minutes to tell them what was going on. . . Did I mention that watchers were stupid?
Spike
QUOTE (kzt)

Ok, but there is also a reason why Dunklezahn's will had a curse consisting of a spirit who would contact someone every 20 minutes to tell them what was going on. . . Did I mention that watchers were stupid?

One would then be tempted to argue that so is a MAD scanner. wink.gif
Ravor

No, the advantage comes from the fact that the mundanes get to spend the Build Points/Karma necessary to be a Mage elsewhere, although I'm a huge fan of being a generalist, even I agree that there is such a thing as spreading yourself too thin.
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (Ravor)
No, the advantage comes from the fact that the mundanes get to spend the Build Points/Karma necessary to be a Mage elsewhere, although I'm a huge fan of being a generalist, even I agree that there is such a thing as spreading yourself too thin.

Right. So, you've basically gone and rephrased what I said, and claimed it's an advantage because it's phrased differently. Let me help you out:

There are 15 Build Points that an Awakened Character must spend, that a Mundane Character does not have to. These points are spent buying the Awakened Merit. Aside from that, Awakened characters have all the options that a mundane do.

This is not an advantage. Those build points are some of the best bang-for-your-buck build points you can possible spend.

The advantage of playing a mundane is not having to feel like a floofy lame OMG FANTASY D00D fanboi everytime you glance down at your character sheet.

Any build point and karmic expenditure can be duplicated by an Awakened Character, to include: Hacking, Resources, Cyberware, Bioware, etc. Therefore, the advantage does not come from getting to spend Buildpoints/Karma necessary to be a Mage elsewhere, instead the disadvantage comes from not being able to spend karma in as many places as a Mage.

That said, being able to have the self-respect inherient in playing a Mundane character does go along way. So. That may be why many of us shy away from the obviously superior (from a metagaming perspective) choice.

-ss
Kyoto Kid
Right. So, you've basically gone and rephrased what I said, and claimed it's an advantage because it's phrased differently. Let me help you out:

There are 15 Build Points that an Awakened Character must spend, that a Mundane Character does not have to. These points are spent buying the Awakened Merit. Aside from that, Awakened characters have all the options that a mundane do.

...actually it is more like 55 - 70 BPs as you need to buy your Magic Attribute as well and most mages/adepts rarely start with their prime attribute below 5. Right there is your 250K in resources plus BP "change" for Skills Qualities, or Contacts.

...BTW. like your forum handle grinbig.gif
Spike
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

...actually it is more like 55 - 70 BPs as you need to buy your Magic Attribute as well and most mages/adepts rarely start with their prime attribute below 5. Right there is your 250K in resources plus BP "change" for Skills Qualities, or Contacts.

...BTW. like your forum handle grinbig.gif

I believe his arguement is that you don't have to buy all of that if you'd rather be good at something else first.
Kyoto Kid
...but in the majority cases (and for the purpose of the OT of this thread) it still holds true. Generally speaking, if you're going to be a spellcaster of any worth to yourself or your team, you usually are going to have a halfway decent if not completely maxed out MA.

[edit]

...and if you plan on installing ware, you still need to buy that MA up otherwise you become a total burnout by implanting even a lowly datajack and thus lose access to any magical ability which includes Astral Perception/Projection and Counterspelling. Effectively you paid that 15 BPs only to be a mundane. So I see no distinct advantage to just taking the base MA of 1 you get with the Magician quality, for you will be a crappy spellcaster and be unable to take advantage of any augmentation.

...though it does make an interesting NPC concept.
Steak and Spirits
Re: Forum Handle - Thanks. You've got some style to yours too. Gunslinger reference?

Re: 55 - 70 BPs. - A character with the Magician Merit certainly may make that purchase. Many will. Nothing forces them to however. It's a choice mundanes certainly don't have. And assuming that they do have to spend 55 - 70 BPs is rather telling, isn't it? Essentially you're telling me that mundanes without cyber are worthless.

-ss
Cain
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits @ Oct 12 2007, 02:31 PM)

Re: 55 - 70 BPs. - A character with the Magician Merit certainly may make that purchase.  Many will.  Nothing forces them to however.  It's a choice mundanes certainly don't have.  And assuming that they do have to spend 55 - 70 BPs is rather telling, isn't it?  Essentially you're telling me that mundanes without cyber are worthless.

-ss

...Except that a mage who *doesn't* make that expenditure is effectively worthless. Certainly, he can't pull o ff any of the nifty tricks mentioned in this thread. Focre 12 overcast Stunballs? Force 12 possession spirits? Not going to happen without a magic of 6.

And also, mundanes without cyber are worthless. Always have been. The original tagline for Shadowrun was: "Where Man meets Magic and Machine". If you're just a Man, you've missed the whole point.
HappyDaze
And also, mundanes without cyber are worthless. Always have been.

That's really not true. You can do well in certain areas without any type of enhancement (magical or tech). Oddly, hacking is one such area, but social characters don't really lose out too badly. You can get an awful lot of strong contacts for 60 BP. It won't fit some players' styles, but not everyone enjoys combat either.
Kyoto Kid
Re: Forum Handle - Thanks.  You've got some style to yours too.  Gunslinger reference?
-ss

...actually my longest running character's name. She originally was known as the Kendo Kid, until she ended up in Harlequin's Back and went though the "A Fist Full of Karma" segment. When she got back she traded in her Predator for a pair of Super Warhawks & became "the Bushido Cowgirl of the Shadows". In her 4th Ed incarnation I took the cowgirl image even further including giving her background in Cowboy Lore, old 20th century Western West Flatvids, and a love of old Cowboy & "classic" country music (not that crap they call country today)

...she also cusses like Yosemite Sam and has a dislike for elves (very long story).
"...sassinfrassinragginfraggin long eared galoots!"

BTW: One of my (and her) personal favourite films is Tombstone

(for those counting, that is #29)
Glyph
Magical characters, given unlimited Karma, will eventually far outstrip their mundane counterparts. Initiation is not capped, and thus Magic can increase forever, along with ratings of powers such as kinesics, mystic armor, combat sense, and so on. Plus, there's nothing stopping a mage or adept with double-digit Magic from sacrificing five of those points to get five Essense points' worth of delta-grade cyberware and bioware.

At char-gen, though, awakened characters are far more limited. Mages are versatile, but spread thin. Even combat-oriented mages tend to shy away from the front-line role that a sammie takes. A sammie typically has heavy weaponry, high initiative, multiple initiative passes, enhanced accuracy (muscle toner, reflex recorders, smartlinks, etc.), and enhanced durability (orthoskin, bone lacing, etc.). They are the best option for building a competent combat generalist right out of the box (an adept with some bioware is the best option if you are going to be more specialized).

Here is a build from me (poor Buster, he wanted builds, and the only one so far is from him. biggrin.gif ), of a straightforward combat mage. Fairly fast and durable, but still better off using invibility, levitate, and spirits than trying to go head to head with a sammie.

[ Spoiler ]

Buster
Hurray a build! biggrin.gif
MadDogMaddux
Well, not the build you requested - but just to point out that a non-magical non-cybered individual is not useless:

[ Spoiler ]

Granted, he may not be uber - but depending on how he uses the contacts, he'll be VERY useful to a team, and he's pretty doggone effective in most combat situations.

Also, this is without the 35 Karma. As I looked into that, there's your best justification for the improvement of Magic and Cybered over norms - in that Karma lets them get even more uber, whereas unaugmented norms are capped at 6 skill points and a specialization.

Whipstitch
Uncybered characters aren't worthless, but they're not as good as cybered guys either. Their only real advantage is that you don't have to worry about scanners nor have you spent all your points on abilities and skills that will just be replaced with a superior model. Otherwise, you really are best off with taking a bunch of 'ware, because if nothing else you can do the same stuff as the natural guy for less bps at the cost of essence.
Here's my version of the MadDog's character with cyberware:

[ Spoiler ]

Basically turns out the same but with more skills, no more sensitive system and has 2 extra initiative passes. There's lots of reasons not to take any one given piece of cyberware, but going completely au naturale is rarely worth it either.
Critias
I'm sure that any minute now one side or the other in this "magic vs cyber lol!" debate will flawlessly convince everyone on the other side of the fence that they are correct.

Because it's not an argument that's been going on for more than ten years and four editions, or anything. Really. It's new ground that people are treading on here, and exciting new arguments and opinions that have never been heard before. Thank Jebus for the intertubes, and the sharing of information they allow us!
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...she also cusses like Yosemite Sam and has a dislike for elves (very long story).

Ahh. I share that dislike, though my reasons are fairly mundane: Elves are $#&@ing retarded.

-ss
Kyoto Kid
...basically to put it in the proverbial nutshell, she was one of twin daughters born to a respected and ambitious (in the social rankings sense) elven couple in Salem, Tir Taringire...the bad part, she was the human daughter.

Her backstory is a 110 page novella written in the narrative style as an exercise that grew out of a question put forth here on this forum that asked: "what would it really take to drive someone to become a Shadowrunner". An interesting experience I must say..

...PM me for more details.

...we now return to our regularly scheduled topic currently in progress.
MadDogMaddux
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Uncybered characters aren't worthless, but they're not as good as cybered guys either. Their only real advantage is that you don't have to worry about scanners nor have you spent all your points on abilities and skills that will just be replaced with a superior model. Otherwise, you really are best off with taking a bunch of 'ware, because if nothing else you can do the same stuff as the natural guy for less bps at the cost of essence.
Here's my version of the MadDog's character with cyberware:

[ Spoiler ]

Basically turns out the same but with more skills, no more sensitive system and has 2 extra initiative passes. There's lots of reasons not to take any one given piece of cyberware, but going completely au naturale is rarely worth it either.

No question that an cybered or magical guy can do more. That's sort of the point.

My point is simply that vanilla norms aren't worthless.

Gotta remember - this is also a RolePlaying game - which means that sometimes it's fun to play the character that's not uber uber - so long as he or she can still contribute. That's the thing we need to remember in all of this - effectiveness does not always mean the best character. Flavor is important too. The way you'd RP my unaug norm is probably significantly different from how you'd RP the CyberSammy version of the same.

That is all.
Kyrn
But why the hell would a mundane not want the cyber? Especially if said mundane is a professional criminal risking his life and ware would lower the risk of death? Is he insane? A neo-Luddite?

Edited to lower assholic content. It's way too early to be typing with this headache.
Steak and Spirits
In all fairness, though, the thread was about Samurai and Mages uberizing each other in the fine upstanding tradition of mortal combat. Though I definitely agree with you, MDM. Infact, there is something decidedly Cyberpunk about going about it entirely with a 'vanilla' -- Especially if you can make napalm in your bathtub.

That said, here are a few things to keep in mind when building your uber twink a Samurai/Mage Hybrid to achieve the most for your time:

1) Spell Defense is key. For the price of a worthwhile level of the Spell Resistance Merit, an awakened character can be tagged as awakened, and can *optionally* defend against incoming spells, cast spells, and summon spirits. You recognize this, which is one of the reasons you're going Hybrid.

2) Inititiave is King. To effectively make a hybrid, you're going to have to concede that your initiative needs to come from mundane sources. You don't need to have it dispelled in the middle of a firefight as there is nothing more humiliating, but you also don't need it super-maxed out. Shadowrun 4th edition is nice, that so long as your reaction/intuition attribute is sufficiently high you won't be as vulnerable in previous editions. Recommend 2-3 (Consider a Move by Wire system. The Skillsoft abilities will further reinforce the gaps created by allocating Awakened BPs) IP Passes, depending on build. Always spend the last round of combat achieving -full cover-.

3) Until further notice, take traditions with Intuition as the Tradition Drain Stat. This allows you to get double mileage out of a stat you need for both Inititiave as well as Spell Casting. Intelligence makes a nice dump-stat unless you're planning a Mage/Hacker (Perfectly Viable combination) Hybrid. And even then its not essential.

4) Always, always, ALWAYS take the mental manipulation spells. There is absolutely no reason not to. If you're presented with one spell and one spell only, make sure it is either Control Actions or Control Thoughts. The raw utility of this spell is incredible, and it is an ability that is not duplicated through mudane abilities. Also don't overlook the classics: Physical Mask, Invisibility, etc. Which brings us to...

5) Capitalize on unique awakened abilities, marginalized mundane abilities -- Everyone can shoot guns. Whoopity shit. So make sure you can dodge. Not everyone can resist an illusion. Take that into consideration---Your greatest strength is that you can do everything in the game except Technomance. And you can do them all just as well as a mundane, if you choose to.

6) Never cast a spell just because you're awakened. Always design your character to be able to use mundane approaches long before resorting to spell-craft. And never overlook mundane approaches to situations -- Invisibility? It's nice, but if you're risking drain then a smoke grenade will do. This boils down to: Never take drain when you don't have to -- That way, you can always credibly threaten that overcast XBolt from hell.

7) Above all - Continue to improve your grades of Cyberware. Don't be afraid to add more. The combination of your cyber, and your magic prowess is nigh unbeatable. And it will only get more and more pronounced as the game goes on.

-ss

EDIT: cool.gif Unless your GM has ruled that Trauma Dampers don't soak Spell Drain, make sure you have one.
Ravor

*Shrugs* Sure, the problem is that my "rephrasement" is the truth, as Kyoto Kid has pointed out a 15 BP Mage is basically just a mundane who has traded the use of cyber for a nice glowing stamp on his aura. ( Magic 1 ) is worthless by itself, it takes additional BP/Karma to actually be able to do anything with it and having more options to spend a limited resource on isn't always a good thing, as nice as Counterspelling and Assensing are, denying LOS to the Mage is even better and is fairly easily done with purely mundane means.

But with that said, one the Magephobia has been washed out I actually agree with some of your points, a Mage should always burn one or two points of Magic to get a few choice implants installed and I've always said that a good Mage has an assortment of ways to kill you with her mind, but a great Mage has the wisdom to use her trusty predator instead.
Spike
Steak and Spirits really needs his own thread titled

My pwn mages yur streetsam!

Cain
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
And also, mundanes without cyber are worthless. Always have been.

That's really not true. You can do well in certain areas without any type of enhancement (magical or tech). Oddly, hacking is one such area, but social characters don't really lose out too badly. You can get an awful lot of strong contacts for 60 BP. It won't fit some players' styles, but not everyone enjoys combat either.

Who said anything about combat? Tailored Pheromones is necessary to get the full mileage out of thost 60 BP of contacts. Datajacks with sim modules really help a decker, as does implanted commlinks. And you're not a real wheelman or drone runner without a Vehicle Control Rig. There's not a single noncybered mundane build that can't be improved with a few choice pieces of cyber.

I've seen too many players create their "roleplay" character without cyber or magic, only to whine and moan when they discover they're not nearly as effective as their augmented counterparts. If they want to run one, that's fine; but I'm going to tell them straight out, their character concept is going to be worthless in effectiveness.
Spike
While it is certainly true that cyberware provides the most dice per BP in many cases... and in many more cases provides options that don't exist outside of Cyber/magic upgrades to the baseline, the case isn't that clear cut.

Pheromones are great, sure. IF you meet in person. Less and less true, and less and less necessary as the AR wireless world becomes increasingly used for social networking. Even today, in the real world, my girlfriend has far more freinds she has never met than freinds she talks to in person.

Also, hyperspecialization is not nearly as important as we often think. Sure a mundane will probably never beat a streetsam in a straightup firefight. Probably not in a kung fu battle either.

For every runner party that doesn't have a dedicated face (say, they use their shaman...) this guy is an upgrade. Sure, he'll never be as good as the pherome guy in face to face negoatiations, but if every dedicated face has pheromes, more and more Johnsons and contacts will prefer to keep meetings purely virtual. Ditto mind control magics. Ditto twice, because that shit will truly fuck things up for people.

As for hackers, last I checked, implants didn't really IMPROVE the hacker at all, merely provided an alternative to the non-invasive techniques.

Just sayin'. And yeah, its dumb to make a mundane then bitch about being subpar to the hyperspecialized cyber/mage/adept hybrid uberspec.
Kyoto Kid
...On implantation & magic:

QUOTE (SR4 Core Rules: p. 164)

Anything  that  reduces  a  character’s  Essence  will  also  reduce
Magic. For every point (or fraction thereof ) of Essence
lost, the character’s Magic attribute and her Magic maximum
rating are reduced by one. A character with a Magic of 4, for
example,  whose  Essence  is  reduced  to  5.8  has  her  Magic 
immediately reduced to 3 and her maximum to 5. Further Essence
reductions  do  not  reduce  the  character’s  Magic  again  until
Essence drops below 5.
  If a character’s Magic is ever reduced to 0, she can no longer
perform any kind of magic. The magician has “burned out,�
losing all magical ability and becoming a mundane forever. She
retains all magical skills and knowledge, but lacks the ability to
use them. Active skills become Knowledge skills.

...so there we have it, If you just take the Magician Quality to get the basic magical abilities of Astral Perception, Astral Projection, and Counterspelling, then get a datajack installed you have just wasted 15 BPs.

Furthermore as it states, your attribute maximum is also reduced. So, as per the example above, to raise your MA to 6 with Karma after the character enters play requires you first initiate (a very costly proposition Karma-wise). And, the more you burn out at chargen, the sooner you will have to initiate to increase your magical ability making your character even more of a Karma whore.

So, at the very least, you definitely need to buy up that MA if you wish to go the "Way of the Hybrid" (quotes, mine). Therefore the BP cost is effectively higher when you take into account the 10 BPs you pay per point of MA which you do not receive any benefit from plus the BPs for the resources to purchase the 'ware.

A good example of this is the Adept who burns out one point of MA (1 PP) to get Synaptic Booster 2. In BP costs that comes to 42 (10 for the MA point + 32 for the 160,000 in resources) whereas taking the Improved Reflexes 2 Adept power effectively costs only 30. If the Adept starts with an MA of 6 at chargen (as I've seen most do) then the effective cost for those extra 2 IPs goes up to 57 BPs. You would do better to initiate and raise your MA after the character starts play to "recoup" the cost. as that takes only 31 Karma (less with an ordeal and group membership) & BPs are worth more than Karma.
Glyph
Technically, that may be true, but in the end, despite spending the extra BP costs, that adept will have two extra Power Points to allocate. So being more well-rounded in other areas is sacrificed to be damn tough in combat. Depending on the character role and the type of game, it can be worth it.

Mages, I feel, get boned more if they take any 'ware. They lose dice offensively, cast spells at a lower Force, and have a harder time soaking Drain. I could see a mage with hard-maxed Magic getting some 'ware - most mages start at 5 anyways, so he will be paying the price further down the road of character advancement. It might be worth it to get some top-of-the-line cybereyes, since LOS is so important to mages, and other choice items can be added later without going over 1 Essense. It's far less tempting from a min-maxing perspective, though, compared to adepts, who can get things that would cost them a lot more in Power Points.
PH3NOmenon
As a quick aside...

Design and perfect a testcourse through which you can send a stream of mages and sammies, tailoring to both their strengths and weaknesses in an effort to determine their supremacy.

Aquire a Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System to autonomously continue the testing.

The science gets done and you get a sweet run, for the people who are still alive!

/end aside
hyzmarca
The best 'ware for mages are those that automaticly soak damage and those that enhance drain stats.

A chargen mage with a Trauma Dampner, Cerebral Booster 2, and a Pain Editor can pretty much cast at stun drain forces with impunity. Add in a Platelet Factory and they can do a good job with physical drain, as well.
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
The best 'ware for mages are those that automaticly soak damage and those that enhance drain stats.

A chargen mage with a Trauma Dampner, Cerebral Booster 2, and a Pain Editor can pretty much cast at stun drain forces with impunity. Add in a Platelet Factory and they can do a good job with physical drain, as well.

Definitely valid choices. Tried and True. Quite effective.

As an aside: SR4 improved upon the Samurai and Mage problem, but forcing Magic to be an attribute that actually determined the end result of the roll in addition to not automatically starting at '6'.

The days of the 'Priorty A - Resources, Priority B - Aspected Earth Elementalist' TwinkMonster have effectively been mitigated.

So the issue isn't quite as ridiculous as it used to be. Though, its still (See: More Options for Karma is really a disadvantage! Honest!) ridiculous.

-ss
Spike
SS-

While I can agree that having more options is better than not having options in a general sense, to argue against the 'Karma sink' theory by simply dismissing it as 'ridiculous' is rather foolish.

Unless you are playing 'endless karma streams', there still must be a drive to a minimum level of specialization for most characters, and the wasted BP's or Karma to maintain a valid status as an Awakened character can be devestating to certain characters.

They guy who starts with a lot of cyberware must perforce spend lots of BP's to keep from hitting magic 0 at creation. Then, once play has started, he can either pump his karma into getting better at mundane stuff or he can pump it into being even a marginally useful hybrid... but its unlikely he can do both meaningfully.

meanwhile his partner the dedicated Mundane, and his other partner the 'awakened master hybrid' are not only out of the box better than him, but actually improving faster than he is.

At what point do you actually have enough Karma and enough money to really justify saying 'if only I'd gone hybrid I could keep improving'? At what point does the '15BP Mage' actually start outpacing the dedicated mundane or the 'run of the mill hybrid mage'?

If you are playing at those levels, more power to ya, but for most players... and I'd argue 'characters in setting' its really a non-issue that Mages have 'unlimited potential' over mundanes. Not if acheiving that unlimited potential takes longer than the average runner's lifespan.
Cain
Though, its still (See: More Options for Karma is really a disadvantage! Honest!) ridiculous.

Frank Trollman once posted a set of numbers, that I can't be bothered to search for. He proved that even at the 200-400 karma levels (and a good ways above that) Otaku and Mages still fall well short of their mundane counterparts on an overall basis. Their skills simply cannot keep up.

Generalists have one thing in common in Shadowrun: They stink. Even the mage builds we've seen in this thread are hyperspecialized in one or two aspects of magery, generally summoning. The same is true for any character: a generalist is going to get mowed under by a dedicated specialist, and a hyperspecialist doesn't necessarily have any weaknesses. My infamous Mr. Lucky is an example: he has no glaring weaknesses above anyone else in his archetype, has two specialized tricks (one being an Edge of 8 smokin.gif), and can muddle through just about any other situation he's likely to encounter. I'm only mildly overmatched by generalists in many areas, trump them whenever I feel like (Or up to 8 times a game), and cream them in my specialty. Generalists are not the way to go if you want an effective character, or one that even gets much in the way of play time.
Spike
Some of that 'generalists suck' will fall to game tone, however. Hyperspecialists can 'overkill' situations if the GM isn't trying to deliberately scale things to keep up.

A true 'Jack of ALL Trades' is gonna be pointless, but the guy with general competence in several fields and 'expertise' in three or four areas is pretty useful if they don't mind playing backup to the specialists.

He might not be your go-to guy for that 'This one shot is all we get, make it count' sniping, but he will let you put a dangerously competent 'second sniper' up if that's your bag. He might not have the schmooze potential of the team Face, but if he's working his contacts as the Face is working HIS contacts, the team still gets more information faster than if one guy was doing all the work.

The problem with most hyperspecialists (other than your edge dude.... but then I thought the addition of Edge was a mistake the moment I saw it... In Mechwarrior years ago...) is that the guy who has the skill to sneak past/wallclimb around security point Bravo might not be the guy who has the skill to disarm it so the rest of the team can get by. The guy that has the skills high enough? Yeah, hes the guy that didn't have the skills to survive the elite commando attack that just preceeded it.

Scaling everything to the specialists leaves the rest of the team useless when the specs are shining.

But as with everything else: Play to your table, not to mine. biggrin.gif Especially when mine is notional for the purposes of discussing this topic.
Cain
You can accomplish all that with a skillwire samurai, who also has a combat speciality or two. Heck, you can make the skillwires the *point* of a character. A generalist, with high natural skills, isn't going to be much better than someone with similar stats and a Rating 3 skillwire set. Thank the starting caps for that one: no character can begin with more than 2 skills above rating 4.
Spike
I'd rather blame the broke ass skillwires...

....maybe Cyberpunk permanently warped my brain on that one though.... cyber.gif
Fortune
I house rule Skillwires so that they do not work for Social skills.
Tarantula
Isn't the generally accepted conversion 5000Â¥ for a karma? Shouldn't your comparison reflect this and either be 35karma and 175k nuyen, or 10 karma and 50k nuyen?
Cain
QUOTE (Fortune)
I house rule Skillwires so that they do not work for Social skills.

Why? A lot of ettiquette nowadays is simply knowing what fork to use when. Things like proper modes of address, knowledge of what group considers what tone to be courteous, and so on, can be conveyed by a datachip, let alone a full-on activesoft.
Tarantula
As for your build to kill him, give me a day, and the channeler will be dead.
Fortune
QUOTE (Cain)
Why?

Because it bugs me. And because I can. biggrin.gif

I really don't think it disadvantages the Players too much to have to rely on their character's own natural Social skills.
Grinder
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Cain @ Oct 14 2007, 04:10 PM)
Why?

Because it bugs me. And because I can. biggrin.gif

I love you. love.gif
Spike
Never mind that knowing which fork to use never got anyone laid....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012