Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do Trolls belong in SR?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Critias)
Oh no, bold text!

You're the one being defensive.  Again -- no one's saying don't do it.  No one, to be honest, probably cares very much.  Honest.  Alternate settings are cool, whether you're talking comics or RPG campaigns.  I created one where all this crud went down in WWII, personally.  Seriously. 

Make it, if you want to make it.  Folks were just letting you know how deep some of the roots of the IE/GD metaplot are, that's all, and that they go waaaaay back even into the "golden era" of SR1 (so you'd have to comb through even stuff like published adventures, to make sure you didn't hit any snags during the setting-change, and cause a snarl in the time/space continuum or whatever).  No one's telling you not to do it (I'm sure lots of us would like to read what you cooked up), or anything.  They were just being informative, so you'd know what a big job it would be to remove all those IE/GD machinations, many of which hinge on the Tir.

...I was just trying to move this discussion off thread, hence the earlier [/derail] tag.

...PM response forthcoming
Tarantula
QUOTE (Cain)
Again, Andre the Giant. He might have been short for a troll, but he was nearly the right weight, and probably close to the right width. One of the most suprising things about him was that he never complained about things neing too small; at least not to anyone who recorded things about him.

Nearly the right weight? 300kg = 661 pounds. The wiki has him at 525 pounds before a wrestling match. The tallest he was ever believed to be was 7ft, trolls average at 8'2".

Also, the weight range for trolls given in the book is 300-350 kg (661-771lbs).

Not only was he at least a foot too short, but at least 100lbs if not 200lbs underweight to be a troll.
darthmord
QUOTE (DTFarstar @ Nov 16 2007, 05:00 AM)
Oh, by the by, I'm not skinny, but for someone who is 6'6 or 6'8 and barrel chested, you know broad shoulders all that. 300 pounds really isn't much. I mean again, I'm not skinny, but I'm not body builder either, and the only way I ever dropped below 300 pounds was starving myself to the point that I lost muscle mass. The BMI is bullshit beyond very average sizes. It doesn't scale well. Not only do I have alot more bone- thicker than average as well to deal with the extra weight strain.(Bones DO reinforce themselves in response to stress) Bigger bones means longer thicker muscles needed to control them. It all adds up. I would guesstimate that a healthy weight for me should I stay at the same level of muscle mass would be around 295-290. 20-25 pounds below what I am. Yet according to the BMI I am morbidly obese. So, they really don't have to be as wide as you think, just proportional, to reach that mass.

Chris

Hell, the BMI says I'm morbidly obese despite having a pulse rate of low to mid-60s just sitting in a chair (goes down below 60 if I'm laying down). Couple that with a blood pressure of 125/70. I weigh in at 255 pounds and am 6' 2". Fingertip to fingertip, I measure in at 7'.

I asked my doctor about it and she told me that as long as my vitals stay like that and my waist line continues to stay the same or shrinks, I'm doing perfectly fine. She also cautioned me that the BMI scale does NOT account for people who have denser body structures than average or those who are athletic / fit.

She said for me, a better measurement was my vitals and body fat. As long as both stay reasonably low, I'm good to go. They've not changed in the last 10 years. She still marvels at my low cholesterol levels.

DTF, I wholly understand.
swirler
QUOTE (Ancient History)
And here I thought orks were the smaller, less interesting trolls.

thats kinda the way I'd always seen it.
It took some work but I did learn to appreciate orks
Cain
Nearly the right weight? 300kg = 661 pounds. The wiki has him at 525 pounds before a wrestling match. The tallest he was ever believed to be was 7ft, trolls average at 8'2"

According to the official Andge the Giant website, his tallest recorded height was 7'5". SR4 doesn't give an average range for height and weight for trolls; but at the level's we're tallking about, a hundred pounds isn't the same difference that it'd be in a much smaller person.
Tarantula
Actually it gives a weight range, but not a height range. So, 2.5meters = 8'2". Thats the height given for trolls, most likely the average height. The weight given is 300-350kg = 661-771lbs.

Actually, according to the official Andre the Giant website, his bio page starts out with "At 7'4" and 500 pounds". Thusly, he is still 10 inches short of the normal troll, and a good 150+ lbs short.

DTFarstar said he was roughly 6'6 and 300lbs. Thats 10 inches less than Andre, and about the right weight difference too. Andre is to DTF what a troll is to Andre. Its a big difference.
Riley37
QUOTE (Cain)
Again, Andre the Giant. He might have been short for a troll, but he was nearly the right weight, and probably close to the right width. One of the most suprising things about him was that he never complained about things neing too small; at least not to anyone who recorded things about him.

..to anyone who recorded things about him, and survived to do so...

Well, seriously, he probably complained when he was a teenager, realized that complaining accomplished little, and got it out of his system.

"Trolls are slow on the update, and mighty suspicious about anything new to them" - The Hobbit
Do SR4 6W trolls turn to stone in daylight?
Tarantula
QUOTE (Riley37)
"Trolls are slow on the update, and mighty suspicious about anything new to them" - The Hobbit
Do SR4 6W trolls turn to stone in daylight?

No idea if that was a joke or not, but no, they don't.
mfb
QUOTE (Riley37)
Well, seriously, he probably complained when he was a teenager, realized that complaining accomplished little, and got it out of his system.

i'm thinking he probably went home every night and cried inconsolably on his giant pile of money.
Tarantula
Except, it only looked like a regular pile of money to him, which made him cry harder.
Cheops
QUOTE (Spike)
QUOTE (Cheops @ Nov 15 2007, 04:28 PM)

And Episode 1-3 are actually really good if you tune out that whiny bitch Haydensen.  Thank god he thinks acting is too fake and has decided to retire.

that's odd, I swear I saw him in that movie coming out with Alba... the medical one 'Awake' or some shit. Hard to tell, since they refuse to linger on anything in the new style teasers long enough to actually see anything.

Further: Hayden's biggest problem as an actor was working for George Lucas. The man simply doesn't know what to do with actors at all, and doesn't seem to care.

Shit, no one is calling Natalie Portman a bad actress, but I damn near wrote her off for good during the trilogy period (okay, I do know one site that thinks she's overrated and can't do accents, but they still credit her with a modicum of talent)

Ugh...that makes me very sad that he's still around and acting. I guess the movie is probably going to be pretty shitty are are relying on Alba's good looks and his "Star Wars appeal" to draw people to the theatre. <Shudder> And movie studios wonder why they aren't making money.

I totally hear you about Natalie Portman too. Padme is a lot easier to ignore than Anakin so her general crapiness doesn't stink up the movie as much.

George Lucas has a very good business plan. He mostly uses unknown actors as his "stars" so that he doesn't have to pay them much and gears his movies at 8-12 year old boys so acting doesn't matter anyway. Why pay for something that his target audience doesn't care about?
Cain
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Nov 16 2007, 09:58 AM)

Actually, according to the official Andre the Giant website, his bio page starts out with "At 7'4" and 500 pounds".  Thusly, he is still 10 inches short of the normal troll, and a good 150+ lbs short.

Really? Funny, I see something different. As of March 29, 1987, he weighed 520 lbs and had a recorded height of 7'5".

As far as the weight range for trolls goes, the book lists the 350 kg weight as something of a record; the "more common" weight is around 300 kg. Since it didn't say "average", this number refers to the mode weight, not the mean or median. The mode leaves a wide array of variability behind, so the average troll could weight anything. We know that 300kg occurs more often than any other number, but that doesn't even make it the majority of trolls.
HappyDaze
Since it didn't say "avergage", this number refers to the mode weight, not the mean or median.

Since you present this as 'fact' please explain how you know it to be true.
ThreeGee
George Lucas has a very good business plan.

Lucas started out as a very good and highbrow director. His experience of Star Wars and the marketing frenzy the movie generated made him very cynical. He came to believe that no one wanted 'good' movies and decided to make money instead.
Mercer
Actually, I don't think that most of the information provided about Andre the Giant, especially if it was provided by wrestling promoters. That could have been his kayfabe height. I mean, its not outside the realm of possibility that professional wrestlers would fudge some numbers for the sake of the drama. Which is neither here nor there.
mfb
QUOTE (Cain)
We know that 300kg occurs more often than any other number, but that doesn't even make it the majority of trolls.

that's ridiculous, man. someone trying to provide generally useful data about the height and weight of a fantasy race is not going to tell us the mode of their weight. they're going to tell us the average, because averages are much more widely understood--and more useful, in this case--than modes.
HappyDaze
mfb and I agree twice in as many days...

The next world may be closer than we realize.
Cain
QUOTE (mfb)

that's ridiculous, man. someone trying to provide generally useful data about the height and weight of a fantasy race is not going to tell us the mode of their weight. they're going to tell us the average, because averages are much more widely understood--and more useful, in this case--than modes.

There's a lot of ridiculous things about the SR4 main book. I'm just repeating what's there. The "most common" number is, by definition, the mode.
mfb
it doesn't say "most common". what it says is that "weights closer to 300kg are more common". in strict mathematical terms, that doesn't describe an average, of course. but in terms of conversational description, it certainly can describe an average--and since an average is the most useful figure, in this case, it should probably be assumed that it does describe an average.
X-Kalibur
Of COURSE trolls belong in SR... who else is going to move my couch for me?
Stahlseele
and the troll phys adept rears his ugly head again . . but at least he's not discussing SEMANTICS . .
ThreeGee
Have to say I was taught that average is a higher order term. Mean, median and mode are all types of average. Average as it is being used in this thread is the mean.
Riley37
Okay, let's get statistical on someone's ass.

East Ordinaryville has 10,001 residents, of whom 100 are trolls, all NPCs, no shadowrunners.
Of those 100, how many have CHA 1? CHA 2? CHA 3? CHA 4+?

Shadowrun Missions Hypothetical Game #42A includes 100 troll PCs.
Of those 100, how many have CHA 1? CHA 2? CHA 3? CHA 4+?

If you post headcounts of individual trolls, adding up to 100, for both examples, then those of us with mad pwnzor math skillz can calculate and compare median, mean and mode.

Feel free to repeat with mass measurements. Only one troll on the scale at a time, please.

Oh, and Tarantula - I was totally joking. I know that SR4 trolls are not made from mountain rock, as "Hobbit" trolls are. Nor are they Moomintrolls, nor the cute little lawn trolls.
DTFarstar
@Darthmod - 6'8 and floating around 310-320. Resting heart rate in the 60's never checked it when I woke up, blood pressure 120/80 always fluctuates maybe 2 degrees up or down. My waistline is shrinking, so I don't freaking care what the BMI says, I'm as healthy or more healthy than most people I know.

Chris
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 16 2007, 04:32 PM)
it doesn't say "most common". what it says is that "weights closer to 300kg are more common". in strict mathematical terms, that doesn't describe an average, of course. but in terms of conversational description, it certainly can describe an average--and since an average is the most useful figure, in this case, it should probably be assumed that it does describe an average.

It should also be questioned what sort of precision you're measuring with. If you have a sample of 300 290-kiloers, 300 310-kiloers, and 400 100,000,000,000-kiloers, weights closer to 300 are significantly more common, but unless you're measuring within a 20-kilo spread, the mode is not even remotely close to 300 kilos.

That's before getting into the ridiculousness of calling anything measured in kilos a "weight", of course.

I should also add that your statement is meaningless—mean, median, and mode are all averages (and there are more besides). I know you meant to say mean, but it's exactly this sort of imprecision of language that gets us into these ridiculous problems.

~J
Tarantula
QUOTE (Cain)
Really? Funny, I see something different. As of March 29, 1987, he weighed 520 lbs and had a recorded height of 7'5".

As far as the weight range for trolls goes, the book lists the 350 kg weight as something of a record; the "more common" weight is around 300 kg. Since it didn't say "average", this number refers to the mode weight, not the mean or median. The mode leaves a wide array of variability behind, so the average troll could weight anything. We know that 300kg occurs more often than any other number, but that doesn't even make it the majority of trolls.

Yes, really. As I said, in his bio page on the website... Besides which, its a whole one inch, and 20 pounds. Hardly anything in comparison to trolls.

As far as the "upwards of 350kg" in the book, a quick google tells me the heaviest recorded person weight was 850lbs. So, its quite factual to say humans weigh upwards of 850lbs. Though, thats a far cry above the average weight. I do believe the text intended to give 350kg as the upward average weight of trolls, with 300 being the lower end, (roughly the same variations in weight as with people). So, andre is still considerably shorter than the average troll, and considerably lighter than one too. And compared to a similarly large troll, he'd be quite tiny.

Your arguments that because Andre had little to no trouble functioning are unfounded. Even though he is the closest approximation to a troll we have, he still doesn't really come close.

A better approximation is a polar bear. Pulling from the wikipedia article, "Most adult males weigh 350–650 kg (770–1500+ lb) and measure 2.5–3.0 m (8.2–9.8 ft) in length. Adult females are roughly half the size of males and normally weigh 150–250 kg (330–550 lb), measuring 2–2.5 m (6.6–8.2 ft)"

So, they're roughly as heavy as a female polar bear, but about as tall as a male polar bear. Thats BIG. Polar bears don't go walking down regular hallways.
Critias
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Your arguments that because Andre had little to no trouble functioning are unfounded. Even though he is the closest approximation to a troll we have, he still doesn't really come close.

What cracks me up about the nit-pickery surrounding Andre the Giant isn't just the "Trolls aren't that much bigger than him!" angle, but the basic premise of the, as you put it, "had little to no trouble functioning" aspect, too.

The guy was, to put it plainly, a freak. A kind, gentle, talented, freak? Sure. But nonetheless it was his absolutely ridiculous size that made him a pro wrestler, an actor, and a guy that was able to get a reputation for being kind and gentle and talented. He was housed in the back of an eighteen wheeler on the movie set. As far as most people care his last name might as well be "The Giant." Half his ring names had the word "Monster" in 'em, for pete's sake.

Don't act like his size was a ho-hum no big deal, and that people are that size on average and folks run into them every day and their size never earns them a second glance, or an uncomfortable shuffle through a doorway or a little joke in an elevator or a sigh of irritation when someone's next to them in a movie theater or on an airplane. He was kicked out of the army because the issued stuff didn't fit him. He almost couldn't be cremated, he was so large.

He was smaller than trolls by a significant amount and he most certainly DID have trouble functioning in day to day life.

And megacorps -- the towering, unstoppable, cold-hearted bad guys of Shadowrun's setting, who care for nothing so much as the bottom line -- aren't going to bend over backwards to make life any easier on trolls than the everyday world did for Andre. When 98% of the population can't use a product sized for a troll, and the 2% of the population that's left may or may not live in an urban area, may or may not have a SIN, then may or may not have the normal everyday consumer desire for the product in question...wasting time making said product isn't going to get you a cookie and a pat on the head from the guys higher up in management.

The least populous metarace, with the most populous needs, and the already-determined antisocial tendencies (by choice, racism, or biology)...just isn't a moneymaker.
Stahlseele
and yet, last i heard, evo was doing good if i remember correctly . .
ok, maybe not BECAUSE they are doing it but DESPITE them doing it . .
Whipstitch
Despite is probably the operative word here. In the SR4 book the whole metahuman line of products is described as Evo's "pet cause". Evo's money is definitely coming in from other places; they have a station on Mars and represent the bleeding edge of anti-aging treatments, bio and genetech. Most of their money comes from catering to people with very deep pockets.

I also don't trust Evo as far as I can throw one of their office buildings. I'm not one of those people who have tons of moral hangups about genetic research or anything, but this is a Shadowrun megacorp we're talking about here. I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that Evo plays nice with the metas out of the goodness of their shriveled li'l black hearts. I could see them playing nice with the goblinized simply to make acquiring guinea pigs erm, sorry, employees and volunteers easier while gussying up the corporate image at the same time.
Paradigm
I think in large part it's a PR thing. But, apart from that, it's also a largely unexplored niche market, which gives several benefits. First would be a virtual monopoly, allowing the corp to set their prices, secondly there's the goodwill that'd come with it "at least Evo's doing something for us" The fact that they're led by an orc also helps with this idea somewhat. If we were to picture him as a typical corporate pampered bigwig he might have insisted on the goblin lines purely so he could have some decent stuff.
mfb
QUOTE (Kagetensi)
I should also add that your statement is meaningless—mean, median, and mode are all averages (and there are more besides). I know you meant to say mean, but it's exactly this sort of imprecision of language that gets us into these ridiculous problems.

i purposefully used 'average' rather than 'mean', because 'average' is the common term.

QUOTE (Stahlseele)
and yet, last i heard, evo was doing good if i remember correctly . .
ok, maybe not BECAUSE they are doing it but DESPITE them doing it . .

well, sure. they saw a) a market to exploit, and b) a way to brand themselves as being 'better' than other megacorps, in certain sectors.

Aztechnology doesn't stamp "we perform blood sacrifices!" on all of their products, because most of the people they sell to would find that disturbing, and would stop buying. similarly, the divisions of Evo that sell to Japanese markets are put out under a different brand name, one that is quietly disassociated from Evo.
martindv
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 17 2007, 03:27 AM)
Don't act like his size was a ho-hum no big deal, and that people are that size on average and folks run into them every day and their size never earns them a second glance, or an uncomfortable shuffle through a doorway or a little joke in an elevator or a sigh of irritation when someone's next to them in a movie theater or on an airplane.  He was kicked out of the army because the issued stuff didn't fit him.  He almost couldn't be cremated, he was so large.

I can't even be around the basketball players here without wanting to stare or just ... not be near them. And that happens with guys who are only 6'8" minimum.

I met a man at a party once whose shoulder span was easily 40 inches (He was well over six feet tall and just a heavy mofo). Life was not in any way comfortable for him.
DTFarstar
I like basketball players. Makes me feel normal sized.(actually freaks me out that I can't see over them.)

Chris
Stahlseele
i'm actually jealous of such big guys . . i never even made the 1,90m . . i'd allways hoped to grow to at least 2m x.x . . .
Whipstitch
I've never had that experience with basketball players, or my old boss, who was about 6'6" and 260 pounds. I'm pretty happy with my height, although people give me crap about being short every once in a while. 5'8" is actually rather convenient (unless you're in sports or something); I'm just an inch or two shorter than the average US male and an inch or two taller than the average female. I'm the definition of average and it feels as if everywhere I go seating arrangements, car entries and shelf heights everywhere were built with my needs in mind. Which, in a way, they were.
Smilin_Jack
I hear that - at 5'7" I feel the same way.

Except for clothing, pants in particular. Weighing in at 125 lbs, and having a 28" waist.... trying to find pants that actually fit is already enough of a pain (being a 31 yo having to shop in junior's department for clothes makes me feel strange) - I can't imagine how Orks and especially Trolls who would be on the opposite end of the spectrum would deal with it.

And that's just dealing with clothing. Furniture, Appliances, hell even pots, pans, and utensils aren't going to be easy for them to use.

A troll fitting into a public bathroom stall, or even on the damn toilet ..... sorry that just ain't happening.

I can see an ork squeezing onto a bus or a subway car - can't say the same for a troll.

As far as the whole cultural identity thing goes - if played right I might be able to see it, if its done similar to how the Manitoo tribe came into being as opposed to what happened with Sinsearach/Ceneste/Tir Tairngire or Ireland/Tir na nOg.
Stahlseele
I can see an ork squeezing onto a bus or a subway car - can't say the same for a troll.

i can ^^
we're talking several hundred pounds mostly of muscles, bones and natural armor here . .
If the Troll wants in, the Troll wants IN! . . why do you think buba the love troll is such a scary image? O.o
I use the same tactics when getting on a bus or subway . . i say OUT OF THE WAY or MAKE ROOM once out loud enough for half of the people in there to hear me and give them some seconds to react . . and then i shrug and walk in and shove and press untill they make enough room for me to breathe in . . and i'm only a measly 1,86m tall and weigh in at about 100 kilo . . plus minus 10 or something and not all of that is muscle as i've let myself get soft <.< . . and none of it is armor (aside from the worn heavy leather coat) which would protect me from feeling the people who do not want to budge . . but it still works . . now image, say . . a Troll of about 3m tall and 200 to 300 kilo of muscle telling you to move and then just coming in wether you like it or not . . again with the bubba image kinda x.x . .
Critias
You can't cop an attitude to a fucking doorway, man. It's not just a matter of the people around you having to make room -- it's a matter of your twice-the-size-of-a-normal-human-being ass fitting in the first place.
Stahlseele
You can't cop an attitude to a fucking doorway, man.

i know it has to be english, 'cause i know some of the words . . but heck if i actually understand that . .
It's not just a matter of the people around you having to make room

depends . . to me, HELL YES IT IS! . . and as a troll i'd probably be much more like that too . .
Smilin_Jack
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 18 2007, 05:49 PM)
You can't cop an attitude to a fucking doorway, man.  It's not just a matter of the people around you having to make room -- it's a matter of your twice-the-size-of-a-normal-human-being ass fitting in the first place.

Well... that's not entirely true.

I've went to school with a person that got drunk and beat the crap out of his truck door because he thought it was insulting him. Granted, he did fragged up both his hands - but he did beat the hell out of that pickup door - even put a hole in after about 30 minutes of beating on it.

I can imagine trolls failing a composure test and proceeding to beat on the bus, car, door, refrigerator, or anything else sized incorrectly. Actually I could see that as a fairly common occurrence... Trolls (and maybe even orks) suffering from "Usage Rage" and going nuts and destroying stuff around them. Its just more proof for polite society that they are correct in ostracizing Trolls - after all, can't have them around when they might go "usage" and destroy your furniture and/or building. wink.gif

Edit:

i know it has to be english, 'cause i know some of the words . . but heck if i actually understand that . .

I think he's saying that the door is physically to small for the troll to fit through. Which is probably true, bus doors are somewhere around 40"x80".
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Critias)

Like Smilin' Jack suggests, when you're as massively strong as Trolls generally are, you can indeed cop an attitude to many doorways and some walls.

~J
Stahlseele
heck, todays bus doors are not that hard . . even i can do some good damage to one without hurting myself too much . . but enough of that, back to topic with me . . and i still says YES, they DO belong in there! ò,Ó
Kyoto Kid
...troll walks into a bar...

...bartender shakes his heads and sighs, "man, now I gotta fix that hole in the wall."

ba bum...! grinbig.gif
DTFarstar
QUOTE (Smilin_Jack)
I hear that - at 5'7" I feel the same way.

Except for clothing, pants in particular. Weighing in at 125 lbs, and having a 28" waist.... trying to find pants that actually fit is already enough of a pain (being a 31 yo having to shop in junior's department for clothes makes me feel strange) - I can't imagine how Orks and especially Trolls who would be on the opposite end of the spectrum would deal with it.

And that's just dealing with clothing. Furniture, Appliances, hell even pots, pans, and utensils aren't going to be easy for them to use.

A troll fitting into a public bathroom stall, or even on the damn toilet ..... sorry that just ain't happening.

As far as the whole cultural identity thing goes - if played right I might be able to see it, if its done similar to how the Manitoo tribe came into being as opposed to what happened with Sinsearach/Ceneste/Tir Tairngire or Ireland/Tir na nOg.

Like I've said several times here, I'm 6'8 and 305-15 lbs. So, opposite end of the spectrum from you, and yeah, it's a bitch to find clothes, and nothing is ever sized correctly for my hands or just me in general, but it's something I've dealt with for many years now and I don't even think about it anymore unless I see myself in a mirror standing next to someone. Also, 300+ lbs is very mildly overweight for my height and build. I look like a less muscled(also less fat usually) really tall linebacker. With a shoe size of 17EEEEE shoes are probably the most annoying things to get.

Chris
Mercer
The system really doesn't account for size, though. Andre the Giant and a 4'10" 90lb girl are essentially the same in terms of how the system treats them. They have the same modifiers to stealth (for example), and they can even have the same stats. (One could argue they probably shouldn't have the same stats, but its not like there is a size limit on a BOD or STR.) And Andre the Giant is a lot closer to the size of a troll than a 4'10", 90lb girl is to Andre the Giant. (The troll is going to be about 10% taller and 30% heavier than AtG, and AtG is going to be about 50% taller and 500% heavier than the girl.)

The size of a character is almost totally a fluff decision. The difference between playing a 4' tall human and a 7' tall human, or a 7' tall troll or a 10' tall troll, really isn't spelled out.

Anyway, a troll not being able to use a human-sized bathroom stall and not being able to logically exist in the game world seem like two separate arguments, and the discussion has gotten to the point that I'm not even sure who's making what point. "Do trolls belong in SR?" is one thing, "Do trolls belong in my bathroom?" is another.

Trolls don't fit into human society, and by extension, my bathroom. But I feel like this is how they were originally designed. They aren't supposed the "fit in". They're giants. Without them, the differences between the other metahuman expressions are cosmetic. They are one of the most direct and relatable examples of how the world was unprepared for the Awakening. They belong in SR because they do not fit into mainstream society.
martindv
Bigger clothes is more expensive, too. That adds another element of "Screw you" to trolls.
Critias
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 18 2007, 05:49 PM)

Like Smilin' Jack suggests, when you're as massively strong as Trolls generally are, you can indeed cop an attitude to many doorways and some walls.

~J

Not in nearly the same way you can just try to look tough and part a crowd, though.

The size of Trolls is an inconvenience when it comes to mass transit not on account of the other number of passengers (as Stahlsteele seemed to think), but because of the sheer mass of a Troll compared to the amount of space available -- not just space left vacant by other passengers, but the seats and doorways and cabs and subway cars themselves.

Sure, you can probably BREAK something. But who gives a shit? That doesn't do you any good when you're trying to catch a ride on a subway. You yank a door off, the subway stops. You try to stand up straight (smashing horns through the ceiling), the subway stops. The bench can't bear your weight, you just fall on your ass. It's not a matter of glaring at another passenger and having them give you room, like some denim-and-leather clad tough guy... it's a matter of your height and girth making normal sized modes of transportation uncomfortable. Using your bear-like strength to yank the door off a taxicab doesn't do you any actual good, therapeutic as it may be, in regards to then being able to comfortably and safely ride in that cab a moment later (assuming the driver hasn't just freaked out and sped away).
imperialus
QUOTE (Mercer)
"Do trolls belong in my bathroom?"

Not if you plan on using it in the next week or so.
Kool Kat
Yep... trolls don't fit in the SR World which is why they are so perfect!!!

I have two players that play Troll brothers. The ride around in an RV regineered with lots of Nuyen for their size, bristling with guns, knives, sharp sticks... and while the one brother uses the RV to blow up anything that moves the other troll deploys out the back in his custom made powered armor suit. They are ugly, tough but actually quite intelligent and rather funny and fun to be around for others.

Its good to have big friends. ^_^

And if you think a Troll is a Super Battle Damage absorbing ultra Tank then ESCALATE! I don't care how big you are, a M60 20mm Vulcan Cannon firing 6000 rounds a minute is going to hose your meatbod fast.

First Rule of Survival: Remember that there is always something bigger and badder than you and twice as mean and ugly.

Tarantula
Just curious, what would you put the damage of that at?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012