Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greenhorns in Seattle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
imperialus
Re: Mickle's post: If you guys want to split the group feel free to do so. Keep in mind I've never dealt with a split group in a PbP before so we'll all be experimenting a bit. Would you rather run both simultaneously so everyone gets to post or run one, then rewind the clock and run the other one? It's up to you guys, I'm willing to try either. Of course if you want, we can keep the group together too.

Anyhow, I'll put up one more brief post to fast forward to January 2nd later tonight then post the next step tomorrow. I've got both Xanadu and Heaven roughed out so I'm good to go with either (or both) just let me know.
imperialus
feel free to keep planning IC guys. Just put "Sybercats van" in the tag line.

Loki: If you want Sybercat to spend the night invite her up.
JoelHalpern
Several scattered questions, none of them urgent.

1) Every time I try the BB Code Help button, the window comes up blank (and eventually gives me a timeout error. So far, there is nothing I have needed to do that cut and paste can't handle. Is there an actual page somewhere, other than the pop-up, that provides the BB Code help?

2) For raising Magic, when one has Cyberware, does one use the full purchased level or the reduced level. I have seen posts on the forum that seem to take it for granted that one uses the reduced level. (As ones maximum magic is also reduced, this question does not change the need for initiation at all.)

3) As far as I can tell, there is no provision for me quick-drawing knives (throwing or otherwise) unless I take the adept power. THe book rules call for using the pistol skil for quick draw.
3') When I ready throwing knives, I ready up to three of them, although I throw them one at a time.
imperialus
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ May 14 2008, 10:46 PM) *
Several scattered questions, none of them urgent.

1) Every time I try the BB Code Help button, the window comes up blank (and eventually gives me a timeout error. So far, there is nothing I have needed to do that cut and paste can't handle. Is there an actual page somewhere, other than the pop-up, that provides the BB Code help?

hrm... http://www.bbcode.org/tags.php seems to have most the major ones covered.

2) For raising Magic, when one has Cyberware, does one use the full purchased level or the reduced level. I have seen posts on the forum that seem to take it for granted that one uses the reduced level. (As ones maximum magic is also reduced, this question does not change the need for initiation at all.)

Hopefully I don't over complicate this. When you initiate it raises your maximum magic attribute by 1. Cyberware lowers it by one. This means that say you have .5 essence worth of cyber and your maximum magic at chargen is 5. If you initiate it raises your 'natural' maximum magic to 7 and your augmented maximum to 6. If you have It does not actually get you that point of magic though. You still need to raise it using karma just like any other attribute. Also keep in mind however that since Mack's magic attribute is only 3(4) he can still improve it up to 5(6) without bothering to initiate at all.

3) As far as I can tell, there is no provision for me quick-drawing knives (throwing or otherwise) unless I take the adept power. THe book rules call for using the pistol skil for quick draw.
3') When I ready throwing knives, I ready up to three of them, although I throw them one at a time.

In the spirit of KISS I'll keep the rules the same. This means if you want to quickdraw an knife (or any melee weapon for that matter) and shank someone you roll Reaction+Blades with a threshold of 3. Quickdraw holsters are available for knives, it would be something like a spring loaded wrist sheath that pops the knife into your hand. If you want to quickdraw a knife and throw it roll Reaction+Throwing Weapons but the base threshold is 5 since throwing a knife requires more movement than pulling a trigger.
imperialus
One other thing I'll mention before I go to bed since it looks like you'll be visiting Xanadu tomorrow and I haven't seen this come up in the planning session yet. Keep in mind you'll need some sort of a reason or cover as to why you are there. Showing up and accusing Dynamo of involvement in Angel's death or shady dealings after the fact will probably not get you the red carpet treatment. Likewise showing up and telling the receptionist. "Oh, don't mind us, we're just checking the place out for when we come back later tonight." will get the Star called.

Your story doesn't have to be iron clad, none of us (I hope) are actually professional criminals so I'd just be looking for something remotely plausible. Even if it's a bit off the wall that's fine. I tend to look at plans more from a "Is this entertaining?" perspective than asking myself "Is this something professional criminals would do?" You can read a more detailed explaination of my approach to this here
Dusty Ghost
I'm considering running Emergence afterwards assuming no one has read it.

Heh! I haven't read it. would be interesting to run.

One of my biggest regrets is missing out on Renraku and Brainscan. I think this was the most interesting of times in the SR world and the story lines there were pure gold. I did not read Brainscan, but would love to have played it.

EDIT: Actually, never mind. I'm sure somebody else will, and I doubt I'll get much more information than them

Nigel, I think we all need to contact all the contacts we can, the police may have a report on his death, and your contact may be more forthcoming than a stranger policeman.
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 15 2008, 01:10 AM) *
hrm... http://www.bbcode.org/tags.php seems to have most the major ones covered.

Hopefully I don't over complicate this. When you initiate it raises your maximum magic attribute by 1. Cyberware lowers it by one. This means that say you have .5 essence worth of cyber and your maximum magic at chargen is 5. If you initiate it raises your 'natural' maximum magic to 7 and your augmented maximum to 6. If you have It does not actually get you that point of magic though. You still need to raise it using karma just like any other attribute. Also keep in mind however that since Mack's magic attribute is only 3(4) he can still improve it up to 5(6) without bothering to initiate at all.

In the spirit of KISS I'll keep the rules the same. This means if you want to quickdraw an knife (or any melee weapon for that matter) and shank someone you roll Reaction+Blades with a threshold of 3. Quickdraw holsters are available for knives, it would be something like a spring loaded wrist sheath that pops the knife into your hand. If you want to quickdraw a knife and throw it roll Reaction+Throwing Weapons but the base threshold is 5 since throwing a knife requires more movement than pulling a trigger.

Thanks. The link works. That is helpful.

On the Magic improvement, the initiation you describe is exactly what I expected. The question I have is whether right now, for improving my magic from 3 (4) to 4(5) I pay 12 Karma or 15? I would have thought 15, but a lot of the discussion seems to assume it is only 12. (This matters more as I get more Cyber/Bio over time.)

Sounds like I will want to get a quick-draw sheath for my Survival / fighting knife, but not for the throwing knives. as even a threshold of 4 is pretty high.

Thanks,
Joel
JoelHalpern
When is it reasonable to spend karma?
At some point, I should spend 4 karma to buy the two specializations of throwing weapons ->throwing knives and blades->knives.
The rules suggest (and it seems reasonable) that this is normally done between adventures.
Also, they suggest a limit of one new skill or specialization per interval.

So I am assuming taht spending karma comes when we complete the job.

Thanks,
Joel
imperialus
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ May 15 2008, 07:59 AM) *
So I am assuming taht spending karma comes when we complete the job.

Actually, because PbP's are so slow paced I'll allow Karma spending to improve skills every night. In other words you could take your specializations now if you wanted.

Keep in mind you can only improve skills that you already have in the course of the adventure. You cannot improve attributes, learn new skills, (unless you have already been using the skill untrained) or initiate during an adventure unless I specifically mention it in the OOC thread. This IMO strikes a balance between waiting 6-8 months before improving your character and me constantly needing to deal with changing statblocks.
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 15 2008, 11:13 AM) *
Actually, because PbP's are so slow paced I'll allow Karma spending to improve skills every night. In other words you could take your specializations now if you wanted.

Thanks. Fair enough.
Mack will spend the 4 Karma (2 on Throwing Weapons Specializing in Throwing Knives, and 2 in Blades specializing in Knives.)

Joel
imperialus
Another discriptive post is up. Feel free to make any last minute plans en route, the Xanadu post itself will go up later today.

Edit: Also at this point it's usually more acceptable to ascribe some actions to other PC's. If you have an idea for how to get into Xanadu and no one else has spoken up yet feel free to do so and bring the other PC's onboard. If for example you want to pretend that you are a streetband and their agent you can assume that the other PC's have dressed the part and will act like musicians to the best of their abilities.
imperialus
aaand the next IC post is NOT up. Sorry.
Dusty Ghost
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 15 2008, 09:46 PM) *
aaand the next IC post is up. Go nuts.

Arrggghh! I was still writting up my post for in the Van before we got there!

I take it that it's too late to talk in the van now?

imperialus
heck no... I'll delete that post and put it up after you get your's up. Actually I'll wait another 3 hours (6 pm ish MDT) before putting up Xanadu, give everyone some time to get their 2 cents in.

Sorry, I hate it when I jump the gun like that.
Dusty Ghost
LOL

No problem. wink.gif
Dusty Ghost
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 15 2008, 09:52 PM) *
heck no... I'll delete that post and put it up after you get your's up. Actually I'll wait another 3 hours (6 pm ish MDT) before putting up Xanadu, give everyone some time to get their 2 cents in.

Sorry, I hate it when I jump the gun like that.

Is it not worth waiting a little longer? Timezones are a bugger to play over, and we are lucky to be at least close, but I think some of them are USA are they not? Some of them may only just be getting up? I could be wrong tell shut me up if you want. wink.gif

Also poor Mickie may miss out on a chance to post. With his computer probs and all.

Though I understand we're nearly getting to the fun stuff. smile.gif

Also, I need to contact my....er contacts, how do I declaire I wish to do this?
imperialus
Sure, I'll wait until everyone has posted (sans Mickie) or tomorrow morning (for me) whichever comes first.

If you want to reach your contacts:

Feel free to get in touch with your contacts too (though 11 at night might not be the best time to be phoning them). I'll try and keep contact facetime to a minimum so we don't end up with a page and a half of me going back and forth with one PC so if you want to, give me an etiquette roll, tell me their connection/loyalty rating, and give me a general sense of how you're approaching the contact (quick com-call, email, meet in a bar/restaurant/back ally ect.) in addition to the questions and I'll take it from there.

Right now a com-call or email would probably be your best bet.
Dusty Ghost
Cool,

Just edited my post to email my fixer.
JoelHalpern
Who / what are the Dissassemblers and the Tamanous? I have seen references to them in the forum.
I presume the role is Logic + relevant Knowledge (Seattle Street Gangs?)
[ Spoiler ]
Nigel
If I can also roll, I'd assume Logic + Seattle Underworld. Can I also add Street Rumors, or is it one or the other? If it's just Seattle Underworld, take off the last three. If just Street Rumors (I'd prefer this) take off the last 2.

[1,1,4,3,4,6,5,6,3,5] http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1597630/
imperialus
Well the Dissassemblers are a street gang, Tamanous is a bit higher on the food chain. But they're both pretty common knowledge just because of their infamy.

Tamanous is basically a bunch of organ leggers. They deal with scary black market shit. Typically it's ripped out of someone (sometimes still alive) and sold. If you're buying used ware, chances are it came through Tamanous, they have a virtual monopoly on the organ legging market just because all the other major syndicates find it distasteful.

The Dissassemblers are sort of Tamanous lite. They're the most common 'face' of Tamanous on the collection end at least. They mostly collect abandoned bodies, but are more than willing to make a few of their own if someone needs something special.
imperialus
And that's what happens when you fail a pair of etiquette tests. vegm.gif Just be glad you didn't glitch.

http://failsalon.com/wp-content/uploads/20...eplant065qm.jpg

Oh, and I'll post Xanadu when I get up tomorrow.

*edit*I'm sorry... I shouldn't mock... Especially since it was me that did the rolling there. But just so you know I didn't deliberately keep re-rolling till you did fail here's a link
Dusty Ghost
Ouch! that's harsh!

Though it could have been worse with a glitch or critical!

imperialus:

Feel free to mock me if that happens. It's part of playing games like this. To smile and go "Awwww man!" at these kinds of results. smile.gif

EDIT: Ha ha ha ha! I just saw that picture! OW!!! that looks painful!
Dusty Ghost
YAY! I'm a happy bunny!!!

I thought seeing as I was attempting to learn the rules properly, I just purchased a Fifth reprint of SR4 hard back.

It's glossy and soooooo much nicer than the printed A4 ink jet version I had.

Not only that but the old ink jet print was version 1 without Errata (the printed version was not available back then, PDF only while the printers worked to get the paper version out.). So I had to write and glue bits into it! Looked a mess!

But this is sooooooo shinny! and colours look great! Mmmmmmmmmm!
Seraph Kast
Ouch, I do fail, haha. I was hoping for something there. wobble.gif
imperialus
QUOTE (Dusty Ghost @ May 16 2008, 04:46 AM) *
YAY! I'm a happy bunny!!!

I thought seeing as I was attempting to learn the rules properly, I just purchased a Fifth reprint of SR4 hard back.

I need to buy another copy of the rules. The binding is starting to go on mine and IIRC the new printings have most the errata incorporated.
Seraph Kast
Oh, I assume we actually got paid the 1k:nuyen: by Icelady last night. And my response to the headache you gave me is up! grinbig.gif
imperialus
Yes, you did. Sorry, kinda glossed over that bit.

Before you have a chance to hear back the van arrives at Xanadu.

*edit* oh, and anyone who wants to try and talk their way in needs to give me a Con+Charisma roll or a Etiquette+Charisma roll with a -2 die penalty.
Dusty Ghost
Whoah! Sybercat ripped my balls off there! love.gif rotfl.gif

Note for me (left my character sheet at work):

take 100 nuyen.gif off sheet for contact
add 1000 nuyen.gif from Icelady.
Nigel
What would I roll to try to give a singing sample, or would Commanding Voice be appropriate?
Mickle5125
I just realized I haven't named any of my contacts except Tinman. Mr. GM sir, feel free to name and/or use them to introduce npcs you want to play with.
imperialus
QUOTE (Nigel @ May 16 2008, 05:05 PM) *
What would I roll to try to give a singing sample, or would Commanding Voice be appropriate?

Normally it would be Charisma + Knowledge but I'll allow Commanding Voice with a -4 penalty.

Oh, and just to let everyone know I'll probably be AWOL on Saturday. I have a bunch of crap around the house that needs doing. I might have time to get something up in the morning but I wouldn't count on it.
Dusty Ghost
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 17 2008, 01:08 AM) *
Oh, and just to let everyone know I'll probably be AWOL on Saturday. I have a bunch of crap around the house that needs doing. I might have time to get something up in the morning but I wouldn't count on it.

Me too. Off to get dinner with the family in London. Should be back Sunday Eve GMT
Dusty Ghost
I was going to go to London tonight, not going till morning now.

QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ May 17 2008, 12:10 AM) *
I just realized I haven't named any of my contacts except Tinman.
Yeah! Me too!

These are the names I chose in the end:
[ Spoiler ]
imperialus
So I lied a bit. Looks like I did have some time today after all. Next IC post is up.

Loki: If you want to use your edge keep in mind that Invisible Castle can't deal with exploding 6's. You'll have to manually reroll any 6's that you get. Just post them sequentially like so:

example roll with edge (1d6=6, 1d6=3, 1d6=6, 1d6=4, 1d6=1, 1d6=6, 1d6=3, 1d6=5, 1d6=4, 1d6=2) (4 hits 3 6's)
example roll with edge (1d6=6, 1d6=2, 1d6=2) (1 hit 1 6)
example roll with edge (1d6=1) (0 hits)
5 hits total.

Also keep in mind, you only look at your initial roll to calculate a glitch.
JoelHalpern
One nice thing about being a boydguard, no-one thinks its odd that you keep looking around, at everything.
(I'll put that in an IC post too.)
Note sure how many dice I should roll for noticing anything useful, somewhere between 2 and 9.
Dusty Ghost
Right! Rushing off to London! I'll post up tonight when I get back. Be about 9pm GMT so I hope your not all waiting on me.

I'm really enjoying myself with this adventure. Sweeps is a fun character to play. smile.gif
imperialus
No worries Dusty. These things tend to slow down over weekends.
Dusty Ghost
When you say willpower test, do you mean willpower + logic?

I think that's an addiction test, but I'm assuming it's the same for this circumstance?
Mickle5125
How often does Edge get restored?
Seraph Kast
Just so everyone knows, Hex is just kinda hanging out for the next bit. I'll probably throw out some random conversation with Sybercat tonight, but otherwise he's just cooling his heels until the group returns, and waiting to see if his contacts kill each other or not.
imperialus
Next IC post is up. Sorry it's so late. I spent all day helping a friend hang drywall. dead.gif Piece of advice. Never buy a "handyman's special"

Oh, and Seraph. I hope you don't mind I threw in some random conversation for Hex.

Oh, and I hope no one minds but I rolled all the perception rolls together under the "Sweeps" spoiler. I figured it's most relevant to him and it saves me saying Hex you find A and B, Sweeps you find C, D and E and so on down the list.
imperialus
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ May 18 2008, 03:54 PM) *
How often does Edge get restored?

Because timekeeping is such a pain in PbP's I'll give you guys the choice.

Either it can restore at the beginning of every 'scene' between Xanadu and Heaven, Heaven and wherever, ect. Or it can restore every night at midnight (game time). Or it can restore at midnight every X number of days.

It depends on how cinematic you want the game to be. When it refreshes every scene you can afford to blow it left right and center, if it only restores every 3 or 4 days though you need to husband it quite a bit more. Also the more often it refreshes the less deadly the game becomes.
Dusty Ghost
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 19 2008, 07:22 AM) *
Because timekeeping is such a pain in PbP's I'll give you guys the choice.

Either it can restore at the beginning of every 'scene' between Xanadu and Heaven, Heaven and wherever, ect. Or it can restore every night at midnight (game time). Or it can restore at midnight every X number of days.

It depends on how cinematic you want the game to be. When it refreshes every scene you can afford to blow it left right and center, if it only restores every 3 or 4 days though you need to husband it quite a bit more. Also the more often it refreshes the less deadly the game becomes.
At the risk of getting flamed, I think every couple of days would be better than every scene. I just think it makes us be more tactical in our thinking. eg. We are heading to heaven a potentially dangerous area, therefore, unless our lives are at risk we should conserve our edge a bit. Though convincing Dynamo is important, so edge spent here may be edge well spent.
But I still think every scene is too quick. Every day or every 2 days. Just IMO. I'll go with what everyone else agrees.
Dusty Ghost
LOL Rick Astley!!!!

This was one of the worst songs ever to hit our charts in the UK during the early 90's!!

It got in the top 10!

What horror crossed my face when I realised a work colleague was behind me watching me watching this!!! LOL

Nigel:
CODE
[color="1230 2nd January 2070 Xanadu Studios Renton Seattlecolor"]

should be

CODE
[color="#FFA500"] 1230 2nd January 2070 Xanadu Studios Renton Seattle [/color]

or similar
JoelHalpern
With regard to Edge, my inclination would be to have it refresh every day (Dawn seems like a good time, but any fixed time would work.) Every scene feels like much too often. Every several days seems like it penalizes those who have chosen to spend on having Edge.

As far as I can tell, at most reasonable dice levels (not very low or very high) with moderate Edge (about 3), rerolling failed dice is a much better use of Edge than rolling the extra dice plus the rule of 6. (The rule of six multiplies hits by 1.2.)

Yours,
Joel Halpern
Dusty Ghost
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ May 19 2008, 02:22 PM) *
With regard to Edge, my inclination would be to have it refresh every day (Dawn seems like a good time, but any fixed time would work.) Every scene feels like much too often. Every several days seems like it penalizes those who have chosen to spend on having Edge.

As far as I can tell, at most reasonable dice levels (not very low or very high) with moderate Edge (about 3), rerolling failed dice is a much better use of Edge than rolling the extra dice plus the rule of 6. (The rule of six multiplies hits by 1.2.)

Yours,
Joel Halpern

Yeah, I Second that.
Seraph Kast
Yeah, I'd say no more often that once a day, maybe every couple. Being able to blow it when you really need to is important, but having edge every scene seems like it would make combat less tense and interesting.
Mickle5125
I'd lean towards In Game Dawn, or something along those lines for the Edge refresh...
imperialus
Ok, so how about 6 am every morning. That work for everyone?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012