Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greenhorns in Seattle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Dusty Ghost
Right, amended my post to match that. smile.gif
imperialus
Just so everyone knows I'm going to be leaving for the long weekend coming up here. It's Canada Day in these parts so I'm going camping. Should be back to normal on Tuesday though. I'm still not sure where you guys want to go next. I see a couple options.

A) Go deal with the band
B) Crack Edwards skull
C) Try and get a meet with Usaka.

Dealing with the band is the only one that won't move the plot forward. They don't know anything that you haven't already figured out. They're just a bit of a loose end at this point, it's up to you if you want to tie them off now or leave them for Icelady to deal with. If you're feeling mercenary, then technically speaking you aren't getting paid to deal with them.
Mickle5125
Imperialus, I just sent off the reply. lemme know if you don't get it.
Nigel
Player-wise, I'd prefer to deal with the band. Character-wise, it's not more money so Loki wouldn't care. He's pretty much in this for the Nuyen and prestige. That's just me (and him), though.
JoelHalpern
Seems like th band is not useful.
If Icelady thinks they need a talking to, we can do so. But even Mack can tell they are just being used.

So we have to go for Edward. (No way I can see us getting a meeting with a high level Yak, much less getting anything out of it without a LOT more groundwork.)
However, we are going to have to have more information about Edward. We are not going to be able to take him at work at all.
We might be able to take him at home, but the risks are quite high. (Even winning a firefight with Lonestar, we lose since they will start looking for us.) I don't think we collectively have the sneakiness for it. (Sweeps can probably get in to his house. But it will take more than that to do anything.

In this version of shadowrun, can Sybercat figure out if Edward drives to work?
If so, could she remotely take her time, hack his car overnight,
then get in to his comlink while he is driving.
Then detour the car to meet us somewhere, while preventing the comlink from calling?
Do we know what sort of skills Edward has? (The preceding would be a disaster if he were a programmer of some type himself.)

Just trying to think through possibilities.

Joel / Mack
Mickle5125
honestly, if she asks Padre to help with the band, he'll do it. If not, however it's not money in his hand, so he won't do it. Padre's all about earning money to help his church.

Therefore, he'll follow the money. of the other two choices, however, he'd choose the Yaks.

oh yeah, Imperialus, did padre remember anything with the gossip roll about the Yaks (4 hits)?

ALSO! Question! Imperialus, do you mind if I have my ganger contact be a member of the Dogs of War?

QUOTE (kanislatrans @ Jun 26 2008, 10:15 PM) *
I gotta lot of data on a gang called "The Dogs of War". They're a mixed racial paramilitary based group that holds down a 6 block area in the barrens.

The D>O>W( their tag, usually in safety yellow) were co-opted out of several smaller gangs and formed into a somewhat functional force by retired mercenaries returning home to the mean streets that gave them their start. The present leader ship is composed of an eight person Board of Command, with a Chief Commander over them who is chosen by a vote of confidence. Present CC is Captain Angus"Beef" Hart, a no-nonsense ,mostly Cyber veteran of more conflicts than the rest of the Board put together. As things are heating up in the barrens, his skills are really helping the D>O>W gain ground and respect among the neighboring gangs. The recent defeat (and annihilation) of the Humanis backed "Thor's Hammers" has given a discipline and sense of pride to the gang.

The gang,which resembles a Civil Air Patrol unit more than your typical streeters, is also better equipped due to the Mercenary contacts. All active members carry side arms and patrols are well armed with at least one LMG . They are light on magic, as anyone with Talent is quickly grabbed up by the merc companies that recruit out of the gang. However, they have been fostering relationships with various shadowrunner teams, offering favors and sometimes housing, weapons and other toys in return for assistance in filling the magic stuff.

The attack on the "Thors Hammers" was a retaliatory strike after the Hammers broke a non-aggression pact by attacking a D>O>W patrol. Within an hour of the ambush, the Dogs rolled over the Hammers with everything they had. Drones pounded the known hangouts in force,while teams infiltrated and systematically assassinated the leaders of the rival gang. In the ensuing chaos, the main troops rolled in led by two ancient M1A2 Abrams tanks. The tanks had been refitted with Twin Firelinked Panther cannons as the main guns and flame projectors. In under 90 minutes the Hammers ceased to exist. As word spread, the other gangs who had turf close to the D>O>W quickly sent word that they were firm allies of the Dogs and would be more than happy to help in anyway needed.

The gang operates out of an old Elementary school on the 120th ave. The school, originally the George W. Bush Memorial Elementary School, now is known as GBM1 to the gang or by the locals as 'The Pound". Part community center part fortress, it is the heart and hope of the residents who live there. The area is still barrens, but is showing sighs of lifting itself out of the decay that surrounds it .

Dusty Ghost
Sweeps has got the investigation bug now. He would still like to go meet the band. We could have done this from the start and haven't managed it.
It doesn't need to be a long meeting, Sweeps just wants to hear their take on this:

1) Cause Icelady probably needs us to
2) I wanna hear how they think they fit into all of this.
3) It will give us a good leaving point for Imperialus to take his break, then we get to the more complicated stuff when he is back.

Then go meet the Yakuza if we can. Edward is good, but he would only have certain info.

Joel have a read of what our arms dealer contact said to us: This Usaka sounds like the best person to contact. Padré and I could try and get our arms dealer to set it up. I think it's better to talk to the source of the trouble rather than the tool used (meaning Edward).

Then if still needed or we get no where with the Yaks, we go an crack Edward around the head a bit.

I'll leave it to you guys to decide. Sweeps will go whereever you guys do. smile.gif
JoelHalpern
At some point we will probably want to talk with Usaka.
But ...
From teh way the situation is described, it is not at all clear that Usaka will know anything about it.
If we get to the point where we know what is happening, but need some help, then we can probably bargain with him.
The notes indicated that the different groups tend to operate separately, and that Usaka has been losing ground to Kat. And that Kat is very good at what she does.
Also, meeting with Usaka may get us painted with his colors. We don't know enough to know if that will help us, but I tend to doubt it.

It is certainly possible that Edward does not know much. And it is going to take a lot of work to talk with him.
But compared with meeting a Yak boss, the risks are low.
For one thing, if we grab Edward, we can take our time asking him questions.
In contrast, we will only get one meeting with Usaka, and if we ask the wrong things, or even just don't ask the right things, we will not get what we need, and we won't be able to go back to that well. Meeting high level folks is not something I would want to do as a fishing trip.

As for the band, if folks want to go visit them, it probably can't hurt. Anyone who is watching for interested parties has probably already spotted us. (Simple surveillance on Icelady would do that.)

Joel / Mack

Dusty Ghost
Well ok,

as said before, Sweeps will go where ever.

But I think Imperialus was hinting that we may want to talk to the Yaks at some point.
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (Dusty Ghost @ Jun 27 2008, 10:40 AM) *
But I think Imperialus was hinting that we may want to talk to the Yaks at some point.

I agree that sooner or later we are going to have to talk to some Yaks.
The question is when, and which ones.
I await comments from the rest of the players.
Joel
Mickle5125
from the looks of it, Edward is Yak. So talking to Edward would get us to the Yaks just as easily.

The question we have to ask ourselves is: Do we want our meeting with the Yaks to be violent, or potentially peaceful? Because, from the way Imp described it, Edward's going to be a kidnapping/running firefight type meeting.
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jun 27 2008, 06:12 PM) *
from the looks of it, Edward is Yak. So talking to Edward would get us to the Yaks just as easily.

The question we have to ask ourselves is: Do we want our meeting with the Yaks to be violent, or potentially peaceful? Because, from the way Imp described it, Edward's going to be a kidnapping/running firefight type meeting.

The assumption I am making is that while Edward is connected, he is not a top Yak figure. As such, if we can figure out a way to grab him we should be able to question him.
If either he is better connected than I have gathered, or if there is no effective way to grab him, then we need a different plan.

Joel / Mack
JoelHalpern
I was reading back over the posts, trying to figure out what we know.
I am pretty sure I had missed some things you folks had noticed.

I am not sure I understand what it means for Edward to have sold his family, including his brother, to the Yaks. I can understand how he can sell himself. And I suppose that to some degree that can include his wife and kids. But even in the 2070 setup, the Yaks would not normally think that gave them any rights on anyone else. Now, they may not care about rights, but to the degree Edward's agreement with the Yaks is relevant, I don't understand it.

If I get the picture, the Yaks have grabbed DA, and staged his death to increase his value (and probably to throw off folks looking for him.) I am not sure I understand that tactic either. If they can force him to cooperate (which they clearly have, as he performed for them) then he could have sent a note that said "called away unexpectedly. I'll get back to you." Much less effort than getting a dead body and paying an ME to do a sloppy job.

It looks like, in spite of my confusion, we will end up needing to get DA away from the Yaks. If so, there are several implications:
1) Icelady better come up with a plan for how to keep him free.
2) Once we have a plan, it might be possible to use our Yak contacts, since they may like something that weakens Kat.
2') I wonder just how much Edwards MCT connections have been helping Kat.
3) We have to figure out where DA is being kept. Kat sure isn't going to tell us. Other Oyabun are unlikely to know.
4) Grabbing and question Edward may help us sort out some of these things. There are two questions for that:
4a) Will Edward have any way to figure out where DA is being held? He might. He might have been able to insist that they prove to him that DA is alive on a regular basis.
4b) It may be that Edward can actually be of assistance to us. But that is going to require a snatch that does not hurt him too much, and if at all possible is not even noticeable. (i.e. if neither MCT nor the Yaks know he has been snatched for a while, that opens options.) But even exploring that path requires a heck of a lot more information.

Joel, who has been thinking too much probably, and I am sure missed several obvious alternatives.
Dusty Ghost
Nice theory Joel! smile.gif

Going straight for Edward seems risky to me.

Right, we have not got all the information, so it's speculation at the moment.

Before we go to the Yaks or Edward, we need to make sure we have all the information we can.

The Band, despite seeming like a wast of time, may still have some information that would help us out in a meet with either the Yaks or Edward. And it's less likely we end up in a fight with them.
Usaka, I'm sorry to say is chum in the water. Decent man, straight forward and much more liberal than the other two which is why he'll deal with a trog like me.

Usaka sounds like the next safest place to go.

Then we decide if we need to hit Edward

So I say this order now

Let's just put it to a vote:

I say:
1)Band
2)Usaka (Yak)
3)We decide on Edward
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (Dusty Ghost @ Jun 29 2008, 05:43 AM) *
Let's just put it to a vote:

I say:
1)Band
2)Usaka (Yak)
3)We decide on Edward

Well, I have no problem with going to the Band first.
(The GMs phrasing suggested that wouldn't help, but we ought to at least be able to do our client the favor of getting them to back off. And maybe we will pick up something new.)

Then we can discuss which following step works, and what it will help us do.
If we decide to get a meet with Usaka, I would like to know what we are going to ask / tell him.

Joel
Mickle5125
If we go for Usaka, I want to know as much about the politics and background of the situation involving him and Kat. I want to have a nice, juicy favor to offer him in exchange for whatever information or help we can get from him. That way, it's less likely that we're going to end up going splat when we talk to him.
Dusty Ghost
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jun 29 2008, 07:37 PM) *
If we go for Usaka, I want to know as much about the politics and background of the situation involving him and Kat. I want to have a nice, juicy favor to offer him in exchange for whatever information or help we can get from him. That way, it's less likely that we're going to end up going splat when we talk to him.
Indeed! Cautious we must be! (Yoda talk). I'll get Sweeps to ask his arms dealer to set up a meet if you like, and ask him to fill us in on how he thinks we should behave. Padre could possibly ask too. While we are waiting for him to get back to us, we can see the Band as a kind of pre-meet entertainment. smile.gif

Is that agreed?
Mickle5125
we do this, and most, if not all, of your karma should be spent on the social interactions
Dusty Ghost
Nigel, Seraph what do you guys want to do?
Nigel
I already posted that I'd go along with whatever the rest of the team decided. Loki doesn't have any Yak contacts at all, so he can't help setting up any sort of meet, but Padre can do that anyhow.
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jun 29 2008, 02:37 PM) *

I agree with this, and want to emphasis that we need to know what we are after before we use of the favor of a meeting.

Joel
Dusty Ghost
Imperialus? Suppose this conversation happens over the team comlink. What would Sybercat offer on this?
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jun 30 2008, 06:34 AM) *
we do this, and most, if not all, of your karma should be spent on the social interactions

oops... that should be Edge, not Karma... that'll teach me to send messages w/o proofreading them right after I wake up.

and. as to the meeting... we don't only need to know how to act... we need to know what he wants or needs. Rumor says that he's getting pretty screwed in the Yak Politics arena by Kat, so perhaps he'd be willing to do something for us if we can do something about Kat (like screw up her plans by taking Dark Angel away from her).

We might also want to get advice from anyone at all that might know something... like Tinman. Anyone want to be the one to ask him for info?
imperialus
Hey, all. I'm back. Sunburnt, tired and I probably donated half my blood to the horseflies but I'm back.

It's almost midnight here though and I just spent 7 hours in the car so I'll do the next post tomorrow when I get the chance.
imperialus
Ok...

Just so I know we're all on the same page.

I'll start things off with the band. It won't take long to deal with them unless it turns into a firefight.

I'll probably do a pair of rapid fire posts later tonight, one finishing up the meet with Icelady, the other getting you to the Partyzone to meet with the band.
Mickle5125
Imperialus, did you get my reply to your PM?

Hope you had fun on your trip...aside from the sunburn part... how bad a sunburn?
imperialus
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jul 1 2008, 07:08 PM) *
Imperialus, did you get my reply to your PM?

Hope you had fun on your trip...aside from the sunburn part... how bad a sunburn?

Yes, I did. I'm shuffling it off to the back burner for now. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about it though. I'm just going to focus on the main story for a bit.

Yes, the trip was good. The sunburn wasn't too bad, I just missed a spot on my back when I was putting sunscreen on. I must admit one of the nice things about having a vacation hotspot at the same latitude as Moscow* is that the sun never gets too intense.

*I kid you not, there was a big stink back in the 70's when the US wanted to test cruise missile guidance systems at the Cold Lake Airforce base weapons range because it was a really good stand in for Moscow. The weapons range is less than 20 KM away from my property. Sometimes when they're doing live fire you can hear the bombs going off. It's pretty cool.

Anyhow. The next IC post is up, and the driveby of the Partyzone is ready to go. I'll post it right away, but feel free to interject comments either to Icelady or each other. Just timestamp it so it's a bit more coherent.
imperialus
As for other questions.

Joel Post 505: Yes, Sybercat can figure out if Edward drives to work. Unfortunatly to divert the car she would need to hack the whole Gridguide system which is beyond her capabilities. Edward works as a Thaumaturgical analyst, not a hacker.

Mickle Post 506: 1. Padre remembered that his Armourer friend mentioned the Yaks' previously. 2. The Dogs of War look cool. Run with it.

In general: You're probably on the right track in trying to meet with Usaka before messing with Edward. The Yak Oyuben tend to operate quite independently from each other, indeed most the time they hate each other. However, they are very... finicky when it comes to 'honor' and doing things 'properly'. If you come in and make a really good case you might be able to get Usaka's support in working against Kat, or at least his OK. That could end up being a big deal if you have to take any sort of direct action against her, especially in the retaliation department. If you go in guns blazing on the other hand the Oyuben would be more likely to close ranks against you.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that if you manage to convince Usaka that you can be of help to him in his power struggles with Kat he could be a valuable ally. However, if you pop up on his radar without clearing things with him first, he'd be more likely to join the other Oyuban in smacking you down.

Dusty Post 522: Generally speaking Sybercat is in agreement with you guys. She doesn't know much about the Yak's but she knows they tend to be big fans of 'open secrets'. Imagine a game of Clue, where everyone knows who did it, but no one is willing to say so because... well because that would ruin the game.

Oh, and there are a few hours of downtime before anything will be going on at the Partyzone so you might want to use the opportunity to set up a meet with Usaka.
Mickle5125
Imp,

You seem to be missing the bottom portion of your latest IC post.
imperialus
whoops! Fixed it. Wasn't supposed to be there.
JoelHalpern
Okay, so we have gone to where the band is.
Who is supposed to be taking the lead at this point?

Thanks,
Joel / Mack
imperialus
It's up to you guys... If you want I can FF it to where you find the band... Honestly I probably should have done it as a single post anyhow.
Mickle5125
At the moment, I think we need to figure out who's still around... posting has definitely been alot more sporadic lately...
Nigel
I am, but lately there's really been no call for Loki. So I've been reading the IC/OOC threads, but not much interaction.
Dusty Ghost
I'm in, had relatives over. So been a bit random.

Talking wise, Loki is best man for this stage I think.
Nigel
He has no ties with the Yaks, and only has Japanese Culture 1. While he has high Charisma, he is also an elf. I really doubt he'd be very effective.
Dusty Ghost
we're not talking to the yaks yet. We're trying to find the band. smile.gif

As Loki is the Face I figured he's be better received on an Etiquette test.
Mickle5125
Loki or Padre could lead the meeting with the Yaks... We have some basic ideas about ettiquette (Oh wait, that's a social skill) that we can use, and we can be polite enough. So Loki'll still be very useful for the Yak meeting.

As for meeting the band...*shrugs* we'll all be useful. Padre and Loki can politely suggest playing nice, and we have big guys to demonstrate the negative consequences of not playing nice.
Dusty Ghost
Sorry again guys. Been trying to get my IC up all day and keep getting interruptions. I'll post up ASAP. May have to be the morning now. Sorry.

And yeah, I might have been over relying on Loki to help us find the band members. Mickle is right. smile.gif
Mickle5125
well, damn. I think we're going to be going somewhere private for a talk. 7 freaking hits. ^__^
Nigel
I'd post, but honestly I think you have it under control. I can't think of what I'd add...

"Yeah, listen to the troll. Really." - doesn't quite cut it, I think.
Dusty Ghost
BTW, if Sweep's lack of tact and cheekiness starts to get on anyones nerves, let me know.

He's just one of those people who likes to wind up people. Sometimes with affection, like when he calls Mack "Haystacks", other times it's to mock and gain a reaction to get people talking, like these band members.
imperialus
Sweeps. I'm going to need an ettiquette (street) roll from you. biggrin.gif
Dusty Ghost
Woops! Forgot that rolling now...

Sorry guys, bad roll. I should have just kept Sweeps silent. frown.gif

I'm sorry guys, I mean that. I think my over enthusiasm for Sweeps is meaning I'm making bad decisions. I'll tame him back now.

I apologise if I'm making this game difficult for you all. frown.gif
Mickle5125
I suspect you're staying in character, so it's all good. Our characters might disagree, but we'll sort that out IC.

just out of curiosity... did you try spending edge to re-roll the non successes?
Dusty Ghost
NO! OH CAN I DO THAT!?

Ahhh what I noob I am! biggrin.gif

LOL, OK, let me look at the BBB and figure out what I can do.
imperialus
Just as well Dumpshock wasn't working for me last night and I didn't get a response up.
Dusty Ghost
Yeah it's been down all .... er .... day here.... night there.......
JoelHalpern
Apparently, judging from network diagnostics, the hosting site html.com had a routing loop.
I haven't seen a note anywhere about the problem.

Joel
Dusty Ghost
Ok spent another point of edge, only got 1 hit!
So spent another to try and make sure.
As I read the BBB rules, page 67, it says:
Note that a characters Edge attribute never actually changes, even when Edge points are spent,
So I assume that I get to spend another point of edge but still roll at my full 3 points of edge rating??? Am I right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012