Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greenhorns in Seattle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
imperialus
Welcome to the Shadows OOC thread for Greenhorns In Seattle. This is the thread for rules questions, requests, master character sheets, and any other out of character discussions. I prefer to have dice rolls in the In Character thread just wrapped in *spoiler* tags. It helps me keep track of which roll goes with which post. Any time you spend any Karma, or add any new gear to your character please update your master character sheet here. If something isn't listed on your character sheet in this thread then you don't officially have it. Don't worry about updating the sheet every time you take damage or anything like that though. Just keep track of that on a scratch pad or better yet a hardcopy of your character sheet that you keep printed out. I'll be doing the same just to make sure everyone says on the same page.

Again the players in this game are:
Dusty Ghost
JoelHalpern
Seraph Kast
Mickle5125
Nigel

Posting Rules

Just like almost everyone else on the board I'm gonna be stealing Redjack's posting structure, so here you go.

All your posts should begin with a time/date stamp in orange, detailing location, time, and date. Underneath, in italics, add your PAN mode, hidden, active, or passive, in dark grey.

- - "Speech color=cyan, optionally enclosed in quotes"
- - <Coms (subvocal) color=violet>
- - <Coms (Text) color=yellow>
- - Thoughts color=darkkhaki and in italics
- - Memories, flashbacks, dreams color=green and in italics

Spoiler all private actions, but if its something really private, or you're setting up a backstab, feel free to PM me.

If you have any questions about the use of BBcode please ask them here.

Feel free to pose unimportant NPCs, waitresses, store clerks, et cetera. For plot-important NPCs (Contacts, Prime Runners, and so on), don't assume their reactions or post them. Pretend they're PCs interaction-wise.

We’ll be rolling dice using http://invisiblecastle.com/. Like I said in the recruiting thread just add all your positive modifiers together and subtract any uncompensated recoil and wound modifiers. I will keep track of other negative modifiers for you. I’ll do this by subtracting dice from right to left. Once the group is a bit more familiar with calculating things as they come up I'll hand that responsibility over to you.

Just for reference I decided that our first run will be a conversion of an early 2nd edition adventure called "Dark Angel". It was published in the early 90's so some of the pop culture references are a little dated but it's IMO a good introductory adventure with a nice balance of legwork, shooting people in the face, mystery, and a hefty dose of 6th world culture.

I now open the floor to discussion.

Cheers:
Dave (imperialus)
imperialus
Seraph Kast: Hex an Ork street sam.
[ Spoiler ]

JoelHalpern: Mack Garvin, a Troll street sam
[ Spoiler ]

Mickle5125: Padre a poor priest from an urban church.
[ Spoiler ]

Sweeps: Sneaky jack of all trades.
[ Spoiler ]

Loki, an Elf face.
[ Spoiler ]
imperialus
Important NPC's: (This is all common 'street' knowledge of these people. None of you know any of them personally yet.)

Tinman:
Tinman is a fixture in the Seattle runner scene, first as a runner later as a fixer, and has been for as long as most people can remember. He’s from some country in Eastern Europe that likely doesn’t exist anymore and is a veteran of the Desert Wars where he earned his nickname. He ended up sharing a foxhole with an RPG and by the time they scraped him back together most of his body had been replaced with chrome. He’s generally an unpleasant individual, cussing in more languages than most people recognize, chainsmoking cheap cigarettes and constantly swilling some homemade rotgut (he claims it’s a recipe from the motherland) that would likely be better put to use cleaning engines. He’s got an eye for talent though and when he retired from running he set himself up as one of the more capable fixers in the plex. He runs shop out of a burnt out brownstone walkup in Redmond called the “Yellow Brick Road� and along with his near constant companion Elfin Face serves as a clearing house for up and coming talent.
*edit* just a note for those of you still working on backstories. None of you actually know Tinman (or Elfin Face) personally. Maybe you've been introduced but he likely doesn't know you from any other wanna be runner.

Elfin Face:

Elfin Face makes Tinman look like an extremely pleasant person. He’s a massive (and ancient) troll who clawed his way up from the gutter in Seattle though sheer brutality. He got his nickname during a run gone bad where he took no less than 5 hollow point rounds to the face. The streetdoc who patched him up only managed to make the damage look worse and Elfin Face never went back under the knife. He’s missing an eye and his left arm is a massive primitive looking cyberarm with the hand replaced by a selection of tools. Elfin Face is an extremely capable gunsmith and also held in high regard by the local Troll go gang “The Iron Side Rockers� who provide protection for the Yellow Brick Road. Once people get past Elfin Face's terrible appearance however it quickly becomes apparent that he is a much more friendly individual than his comrade. Once Elfin Face takes a shine to someone he's actually a pretty nice guy and willing to go a long way to help a friend. He is often found drinking at "The Iron Horse" buying rounds for friends of his from the Iron Side Rockers.

Crusher Bob:
Crusher Bob is the owner/operator of Crusher’s, a scummy hellhole of a bar located deep in Redmond. The booze is terrible, even the water that he uses to water it down is probably undrinkable. That said though, it’s a popular runner hangout, especially for green runners. Reputable johnsons don’t hang out there but it is frequented by fixers, fences, weapon dealers, bagmen, wanna be runners, and gangsters who provide all manner of services and work for runners. It even has a corkboard to the right of the bar where the scum of the shadow scene scrawl notes looking for jobs.

Dark Angel:
The stage name of an up and coming rocker, Dark Angel is one of the rare breed of musicians who not only has real talent but a strong resistance to selling out. He's never signed on with a recording label. He's the front man for a neo punk band and bootlegged copies of his songs are hugely popular among the younger members of Seattle's lower classes. For anyone familiar with his music it's apparent that it contains a strong social justice message and given the fact that he continues to play low end dives it's obvious that he practices what he preaches too. While his music doesn't have the raw aggression of Trog Rock or pounding dance beat of Plex music it straddles a comfortable middle ground and has become quite popular.

A bad BTL trip killed Dark Angel about 3 weeks ago, apparently he set himself on fire, and the blogs are already humming with rumors of a memorial album being put out by a record producer named Dynamo Blue. No one is sure where this Dynamo character got her hands on Dark Angels music but apparently she had been in negotiations with him for some time.

The RIAA:
It's common knowledge that for the last 15 years the RIAA has been controlled by the Yakuza. While the Mafia controls the banking industry and the Triads control the exotic drug and BTL trade the Yakuza use the recording industry as a massive front, funneling money through the system and keeping their talons deep in it through predatory lawsuits designed to 'protect' their intellectual property. Even Horizon has been reluctant to challenge the Yakuza dominance of the recording industry after several high profile assassinations and blackmailings of their own top record execs.

Icelady:
Dark Angels girlfriend. They've been together for a few years now. Doesn't have much of a public presence.
Mickle5125
Could we get a sample post to demonstrate the formatting you want?
Nigel
I'm just about done, I just can't figure out where to put lifestyle (if I should at all - my current, and first game's GM had us do so at chargen) on the character sheet. I'm nearly ready to go, and I'll e-mail my character sheet to you to look it over.
Dusty Ghost
Coolio!

When are we due to start! I've yet to get my character sheet written up.
imperialus
QUOTE (Nigel @ May 9 2008, 01:55 AM) *
I'm just about done, I just can't figure out where to put lifestyle (if I should at all - my current, and first game's GM had us do so at chargen) on the character sheet. I'm nearly ready to go, and I'll e-mail my character sheet to you to look it over.

I normally just put it in Gear.
imperialus
QUOTE (Dusty Ghost @ May 9 2008, 02:38 AM) *
Coolio!

When are we due to start! I've yet to get my character sheet written up.

I was thinking of putting the first IC post up on Monday. That gives you guys the weekend to finalize characters and me some time to re-read and start converting the adventure. It's been almost 10 years since I've even glanced at it.

Oh, one other piece of advice.

Do not create a character with an obvious speech impediment or heavy accent. It's cool if it's something like "When he gets nervous he stutters a bit" or "He has a faint German accent" but believe me if you're constantly trying to spell a Rastafarian accent it'll take for ever to write any IC speech, you'll get sick of typing it and I'll get sick of trying to read it.
imperialus
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ May 9 2008, 12:22 AM) *
Could we get a sample post to demonstrate the formatting you want?

Sure thing, I have some running around to do but I'll get something written up before the game starts.
Seraph Kast
Not sure if you're interested at all, but this site is kinda neat for doing online games. I'm going to use it for my own record keeping 'cause I'll lose any hardcopy character sheet in about three days. grinbig.gif If you're interested here's Duncan.

I'll edit in the form you wanted a little later, running off to lunch atm.
imperialus
QUOTE (Seraph Kast @ May 9 2008, 10:41 AM) *
Not sure if you're interested at all, but this site is kinda neat for doing online games. I'm going to use it for my own record keeping 'cause I'll lose any hardcopy character sheet in about three days. grinbig.gif If you're interested here's Duncan.

I'll edit in the form you wanted a little later, running off to lunch atm.

I'd rather stick with Dumpshock as the forum. Just saves me from having to sign up for (yet another) forum.

Duncan looks good. The only thing I would change is Steely Dan being the head of the Ork Underground. With a connection of 4 he could be fairly well placed within the organization but Duncan is still too small a fish for the head of the OU to be taking an interest in him.

You also mentioned a streetdoc in your backstory. As a Sam it might be a good idea to add him as a contact. It's always handy to have someone there to patch you back together.
Mickle5125
I sent my character to you via e-mail for fixing... did you want me to post it here for you to look over instead?
imperialus
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ May 9 2008, 12:36 PM) *
I sent my character to you via e-mail for fixing... did you want me to post it here for you to look over instead?

He looks good. You did take 5 too may points worth of negative qualities (the cap is normally 30) but I'll let that slide.
Seraph Kast
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 9 2008, 01:31 PM) *
I'd rather stick with Dumpshock as the forum. Just saves me from having to sign up for (yet another) forum.

Oh I didn't mean to use the other forums, just as a place for character sheets. And Steely was just supposed to be an upper member, not top dog or anything, I'll reword that.

Edit: Heh, did my essence wrong too, forgot to halve the loss from the bioware since it's the smaller of the two groups.

Here's the forum version of the character:
[ Spoiler ]
Mickle5125
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 9 2008, 01:43 PM) *
He looks good. You did take 5 too may points worth of negative qualities (the cap is normally 30) but I'll let that slide.

oh... book says 35 points worth of neg. qualities max.

also, do you have the answers to the questions I had in the e-mail?
imperialus
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ May 9 2008, 01:01 PM) *
oh... book says 35 points worth of neg. qualities max.

also, do you have the answers to the questions I had in the e-mail?

*slaps head* right you are. That's the other great thing about new players is they notice things experienced players sometimes gloss over.

As for the other questions:

1) is it possible to get a real license attached to his SIN for the gun and stun baton on the basis of needing to protect his church due to the proximity of the Barrens?

Yes, since you have a legit SIN you can get a real license at no cost. This does mean however that your gun and baton can be traced back to you if they are found connected to a crime.

2) How will you handle fake licenses? 1 for everything restricted?

I normally don't worry too much about them. They get very expensive if you need to buy them for everything. Generally all I will check is a license for your guns, a license for any restricted ware, and a license for any other 'miscellaneous' restricted gear if you have any. In other words the most you'd ever need is 3 licenses. Each one can encompass several individual items.

Also, check the update to the Important NPC's post at the top.
imperialus
Example GM Post (and yes you can consider this to be a preview of the run)

04:17 December 13 2069 --wherever you are--

You're awakened by your comlink receiving a voice message at some ungodly hour, when you accept the message it reads.
<<Tinman, it's Icelady, I'm in trouble. Please call me.>> (normally during the actual game I'll give more information than this. I just wanted to cram as many 'speech types' as possible into the example.)

Example Player Post

04:17 December 13 2069 --Tinman's Doss--
PAN ACTIVE(Actually I don't want you guys to worry about what your PAN mode is. I'll just mention to you when it would be a good time to turn it to active, passive, or off and assume you have it set appropriately)

The incessant chirping of his comlink woke Tinman up. Glancing at the time display he realized he'd only been asleep for two hours. Someone had left a message in his emergency inbox.
Frag it all... don't these fucking Dyevs know what time it is?
he hits the accept key and neat rows of text appear in his vision
<<Tinman, it's Icelady, I'm in trouble. Please call me.>>
Tinman mentally punches the return call button and is somewhat surprised when the call is accepted after barely one ring.
"Da Icelady? Who died?"

GM post 2

04:20December 13 2069

"Dark Angel. The asshole died in a BTL den. They've ruled it a suicide as a result of illegal simsence chips. Then I get a call from some slimy toad of a lawer who says some record company was given his estate. I need your help Tinman. Something is fucked up here."
Mickle5125
Streetname: Padre
Primary SIN: Father Andrew Marx
Concept: Priest from poor neighborhood who Runs to support the church
Race: human
Nuyen: 12,050
Hard Cash: 1000 UCAS $ (200 nuyen.gif )

Attributes: 200 BP
Bod: 4
Agi: 5
Rea: 3 (4)
Str: 2
Cha: 4
Int: 4
Log: 2
Wil: 4

Edge: 4 (20 BP)
Magic: 6
Essence: 6.00

Skills: 84 BP

Influence Group
--Con 4
--Etiquette 4
--Leadership 4
--Negotiation 4

Clubs 2
First Aid 1
Pistols 4
Perception 2
Pilot Ground craft 3
Gymnastics 1

Knowledge Skills: # (18 free)
Catholicism 4
Seattle Black Market 3
Gossip 3
Seattle layout 2
Local Area Politics 3
English (native language)
Latin 3
Running 1

Negative Qualities:
SINner (Standard) [-5]
Sensitive System [-15]
Geas (Morning Prayers) [-10]
Sensitive Neural Structure [-5]

Total Negative Qualities: -35

Positive Qualities:
Astral Chameleon [5]
Home Ground (Church) [10]
Blandness [10]
Adept [5]

Total Positive Qualities: 30

Adept Powers: (Power point cost)
Improve Reflexes I (2)
Mystic Armor 5 (2.5)
Enthralling Performance: Con (.5)
Kinesics 2 (1)
Astral Perception (GM gift)

Gear: (4BP)
Stun Baton

Fichetti Security 600
_internal smartlink
_silencer
_hidden arm slide
_spare clip w/ 30 regular rounds
_stick-n-shock rounds (90 rounds w/ spare clips)
_skinlink

Armor Jacket (8/6)

Renraku Sensei commlink w/ Iris Orb OS
_skinlink
_subvocal Mic

Fake SIN 4 (Patrick Malone)
_fake license weapons 4
_fake license misc 4

glasses
_Image Link
_smartlink
_vision enhancement 3
_vision magnification
_skinlink

goggles
_Image Link
_smartlink
_vision enhancement 3
_vision magnification
_skinlink

contact lenses
_Low light
_flare comp

earbuds
_audio enhancement 3
_spatial recognizer

Medkit 6

street clothes
1 set business clothes

Low Lifestyle (2 months)
(starting nuyen.gif = (3d6+9)x50 = Roll For Starting Cash (1d6=4, 2d6=2, 3d6=6) = 21x50 = 1050 nuyen.gif )

Contacts: 32BP
Damien, a Black market dealer L2 C3
Jose, Dogs of War Ganger L2 C2
Lonestar beat cop L3 C3
hacker L2 C3

"The Good Doctor" Street Doc L2 C3 (The Good Doctor is a character one of my friends played a little while back. He's a clever doctor who runs a "free" clinic near the barrens and dabbles in everything he can come up with, including organ legging, shadowrunning (although he got away from that passtime) and acting as a fixer. He also doesn't hesitate to take advantage of anyone who doesn't stay on their toes around him.)

Tom, a Random Rich Guy L3 C4 (Tom is fairly naive. He loves the church, and is quite willing to donate whenever Padre calls. Padre normally does his best to raise as many funds for the church as he can before he calls Tom because he feels guilty about taking advantage of Tom like that.)

Tinman L2 C3

concept: Father Marx runs a church on the edge of the Seattle barrens. Unfortunately, the poor state of the neighborhood forces Padre to find funding from other sources. He attributes his magical abilities to Divine intervention and protection. He also tends to avoid doing lethal damage to innocents if he can help it.
JoelHalpern
Here is the character sheet. Background in my following post.
Also, if anyone spots anything really foolish, let me know so I can fix it before we start.

Streetname: Mack Garvin
Primary SIN: (fake, for day-to-day) Willie Gross
Running SIN: (fake, for use on runs, to be replaced if needed) Harry Edge
Concept: Troll who spent a few years as a Mercenary private
Race: Troll

Attributes: 200
Bod: 7
Agi: 5
Rea: 3 (4)
Str: 9 (15 for throwing)
Cha: 3
Int: 3
Log: 2
Wil: 3

Initiative 6 (7), 2 passes

Edge: 1
Essence: 5
Magic 3 (4 - 1)

Skills: 98 pts
Throwing Weapons 6 ( 8 )
Heavy Weapons 4
Blades 4 (6)
Athletics Group 1
Gymnastics 4 (5)
Negotiate 2
Perception 3

Knowledge Skills: 15 (free)
Native Language - Orrzit
English - 4
Seattle Street Gangs - 3
Military Procedures - 4
Bodyguard Procedures - 4

Negative Qualities:
Incompetent - Pistol [-5]
Spirit Bane - Air [-10]
Incompetent - Hacking [-5]
Scorched [-5]
Sensitive Neural Structure [-5]
Seak Immune System [-5]

Positive Qualities:
Adept [5]
Exceptional Agility [20]

Adept Powers: 3pp
Power Throw 3 (0.75 pp)
Improved Ability - Throwing - 2 (1 pp)
Improved Ability - Blades - 2 (1pp)
Improved Ability - Gymnastics - 1 (0.25 pp)

Resource BP: 34 bp = 170,000 nuyen

Cyber/bioware: 127,600 Nuyen
Alpha Replacement Eyes, Grade 4
Alpha Flare Compensation
Alpha LowLight
Alpha Thermographic
Alpha Smartlink
Alpha Vision Magnification
Alpha Vision Enhancement, grade 3
Eye Skinlink, just in case it is needed (no essence cost)
Alpha DataJack
Skinlink for datajack, in case it is needed (no essence cost)
Platelet Factor
Synaptic Booster 1

Gear: 38,040 Nuyen
2 sets Earbuds with Audio Enhance 3 and Spatial Recognition, with skinlink to connect to commlink.
Hermes Ikon Comlink
Novatech Navi Softtware (yeah, he needs a better firewall, but he hasn't figured that out.)
Skinlink for Comlink
Two, level 3 fake IDs
paired fake license for the eye smartlinks, level 4
Gecko Tape Gloves

Lifestyle High, (and +12 units for starting cash, [4d6+12]*1000)
Knowsoft - All the worlds Motorcycles, grade 1
Knowsoft - Combat Biking leagues, players, stats, grade 3
Datasoft with weekly updates for Combat Biking (grade 3, 80 nuyen for 2 months of weekly updates.)

50 Throwing Knives (Usually, he only carries 9) (Sized for him, regular damage0
2 Survival Knife (usually carries only 1)
Grade 6 medikit

2 sets of fancy clothes (estimated to cost 1000 nuyen)
[Armor for all occasions]
Armor Jacket
Actioneer Business Wear
Lined Coat
Urban Explorer Jumpsuit

[The heavy weapons are in a suitcase, from the time as a merc.
Mack hasn't taken them out except to clean in the 1.5 years in Seattle.
Suitcase itself cost 200 nuyen.]
Ingram White Knight
internal Smartlink, with skinlink
4 50 shot regular ammo clips
4 50 shot Ex Explosive Clips (by errata, +1DV -1 AP)
10 HE Grenades
10 FlashBank
10 Thermal Smoke

Contacts: 8
Captain Jack Frasier 4/4
Tinman 2/3 (GM gift)

Edited: To note Reaction Boost from Synaptic, note Initiative / IP
Edited: To upgrade lifestyle
Edited: To add the Knowsofts, use up all the money
JoelHalpern
Mack grew up a Troll, among a mostly other Trolls in Seattle (and not a particular good part of town of course.)
However, when he was a teen ager, he ended up in the same place as Captain Jack, who was recruiting for a mercenary outfit. He saw something (who knows what) in Mack, and talked him in to joining up.
The outfit got Mack the cyber / bio, and basic weapons training. Of course, as a large Troll, they gave him the heavy weapons.

There was some effort during training to teach Mack small arms. Pistol were clearly a disaster, and the other weapons did not seem to hold much promise either.
The trainers also thought everyone should learn to use the matrix. That was REALLY bad. A simple data search won't freak Mack out, but do not ask him to go into VR. He's convinced VR is dangerous.

During service Mack gradually realized that what he really liked using were knifes. (Yes, he can throw a hand grenade quite well, and even used a sword reasonably. But he LIKES knives.)
So when the company split up, Captain Jack suggested that he knew some folks who could use Mack's style. For the last 18 months he has been making a living as a bodyguard and courier for cases where guns would cause problems.
Seraph Kast
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ May 9 2008, 11:56 PM) *
He's convinced VR is dangerous.

That made me giggle, I have to admit. talker.gif I like!
JoelHalpern
Mack lives in a converted smallish warehouse (that is, small for a warehouse) in a mixed use neighborhood.
He pays for some magical and net security, as well as the typical bribes to Lone Star and the Local street gang. (I figure either of those could later become contacts.)
He likes the warehouse as it is not too far from restaurants that will serve him, and the space is big enough to be comfortable.
Also, he rather likes the background rumble of traffic and light industry.

Mack stands about 2.75 meters, and weighs about 330 Kilos. (Bigger than your average Troll, but not immense.)

Mack is intrigued by Motorcycles. He does not actually know much about them, and assumes that any and all of them would break if he sat on them.
Musically, he likes classical (really old, Beethoven and Strauss kinds of stuff.)
He does like sports. [Help, what are the local sports / teams?]

imperialus
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ May 10 2008, 12:01 PM) *
Mack lives in a converted smallish warehouse (that is, small for a warehouse) in a mixed use neighborhood.
He pays for some magical and net security, as well as the typical bribes to Lone Star and the Local street gang. (I figure either of those could later become contacts.)
He likes the warehouse as it is not too far from restaurants that will serve him, and the space is big enough to be comfortable.
Also, he rather likes the background rumble of traffic and light industry.

Mack stands about 2.75 meters, and weighs about 330 Kilos. (Bigger than your average Troll, but not immense.)

Mack is intrigued by Motorcycles. He does not actually know much about them, and assumes that any and all of them would break if he sat on them.
Musically, he likes classical (really old, Beethoven and Strauss kinds of stuff.)
He does like sports. [Help, what are the local sports / teams?]

Looks good. The big sports in 2070 in addition to the usual, football, baseball, hockey ect. are

Urban Brawl: a sort of controlled gangfight where teams try and move a ball to a goal painted on the ground. The 'field' is typically a four block section of the barrens that has had the locals driven out. Weapons are usually fairly light, pistols and submachine guns. The players wear heavy armour and teams of medics are on standby so deaths are not as common as one would think. Link

Combat Biking: Couldn't find a link for Combat Biking but think of it as a sort of weird cross between a roller derby and motocross, with guns.

Desert Wars: Again, couldn't find a link and can't find my old copy of Target Wastelands but think of this as a war that's been going on in Manchuria for the past 50 years. It's taken media saturation to an extreme and mostly consists of mercenary groups and private corp armies fighting proxy wars. Think of it as warfare turned into reality TV.

Also keep in mind that even within traditional sports there is a divide between augmented and unaugmented leagues. The augmented leagues are typically more popular.
JoelHalpern
I've added Knowsofts on Motorcycles and combat biking for Mack.
He only recently realized he could use his datajack that way.

Joel
JoelHalpern
Declaring that I have stopped tweaking Mack Garvin.
(I am one of those people who can tweak a character to death. I will stop.)
The last change was to adjust the knowsofts so that the Logic + knowledge was an odd number. This is admittedly a metagaming issue. the odds of getting at least one success without a glitch, the odds of avoid glitches, and the odds of avoiding critical glitches are actually better with 3 dice than with 4 dice.)

Yours,
Joel
imperialus
Ok, so we're just waiting on Dusty Ghost and Nigel to check in with their characters and we're good to go. If you guys want I can put the first IC post up now while you put the finishing touches on your characters. Stat's won't come up for a little bit at least.
Dusty Ghost
I'm nearly there, still choosing the last of my gear and writing a quick background to the character. sorry for the delay!

Be done soon as, promise!!!
imperialus
Here is a link to Aaron's Shadowrun site. It has some really useful cheat sheets on it for everything from combat modifiers to hacking. You might want to check it out, it'll save flipping through the rulebook quite so much. http://pavao.org/shadowrun/cheatsheets/
JoelHalpern
To learn the die rolling system, and to finish Mack Garvin, I rolled his starting money:
Roll for starting money (1d6=2, 1d6=2, 1d6=1, 1d6=1)

So that is a roll of 6, with the plus 12 is 9K starting Nuyen.

Mack Garvin / Joel Halpern
Seraph Kast
This dice roller is really neat! Me likey!

Starting Cash: 3d6 9=22, so 1100 nuyen.gif for Duncan.

Edit: Also used some of the extra nuyen I had after chargen to get rid of the Colt M23 and buy an Ares Alpha, I'll edit my spoiler post to show this.
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (Seraph Kast @ May 12 2008, 12:52 AM) *
Edit: Also used some of the extra nuyen I had after chargen to get rid of the Colt M23 and buy an Ares Alpha, I'll edit my spoiler post to show this.

Yeah, the Alpha is a nice beast. Particularly if the GM agrees that the 2 points of built in compensation still allow the addition of a gas-vent 3. (That combination was the alternative to the White Knight, but I just liked the Idea of Mack using a big gun, but only rarely.)

Joel
imperialus
First IC post is up. Use this as an opportunity to introduce your character and describe what he is doing at 1 in the afternoon on an 'average' day, or at least sort of average, after all it is new years day. Once everyone checks in I'll post the meet at Crushers.
Seraph Kast
Yeah, it seems like a nice, heavy, killmajig to have locked away for a rainy day. And logically, the recoil should stack. The base stuff is mentioned to be part of the chamber, whereas a gas vent would be somewhere along the barrel. But either way, its nice.
imperialus
QUOTE (Seraph Kast @ May 12 2008, 08:31 AM) *
Yeah, it seems like a nice, heavy, killmajig to have locked away for a rainy day. And logically, the recoil should stack. The base stuff is mentioned to be part of the chamber, whereas a gas vent would be somewhere along the barrel. But either way, its nice.

I let it stack. If (when devil.gif) things get to the point where you need to pull out an Assault Rifle then chances are you'll need every bit of recoil compensation you can get.
imperialus
One thing I noticed (and overlooked when you originally submitted characters) is that no one except Dusty Ghost has any vehicles or driving skills, and Dusty has a bike eek.gif indifferent.gif. Cars come in handy, you don't want to be calling a cab to extract you. This is my bad, and to compensate for it I'll give everyone a pilot ground craft skill of 2 for free, and Tinman has an old 4 door Ford Americar he's willing to sell for 5000 nuyen.gif. It's a battered old heap but it will fit everyone including Mack since Elfin Face customized the passenger seat so he could fit in it. It's old, it isn't set up for the grid guide (no pilot or sensor rating), and the power steering is shot (-1 Handling) but Elfin Face also added some armour plating to the inside of the doors, put run flat tires on it, and it's in rough enough shape that no one is going to think anything worthwhile is in it. It even has a secret compartment in the trunk (which is accessible with a bit of acrobatics from the back seat) which is large enough to hold a couple assault rifles or an LMG

It's stats are as follows:
CODE
Handling  Accel  Speed  Pilot  Body  Armor  Sensor  Avail  Cost
    -1    10/20    75     0     10     8      0       NA   5000

Oh, and just as a bit of a history lesson, Tinman and ElfinFace are both old 2nd/3rd edition PC's from my high school days. Tinman was my buddy's character, ElfinFace was my first Shadowrun PC. After we retired them at around 600karma my buddy and I set them up as NPC's. And yes, they did have a customized Ford Americar that the team used as it's runabout vehicle. Come to think of it Dark Angel was Tinman's first run too.
Dusty Ghost
LOL That's funny, we nearly all had be runners of a different sort. rotfl.gif

Ok polish on my character is neeeeeeaarrrrly there, so will post it up and then start on the IC thread within the next couple of hours.

FINALLY I am going to get to play SHADOWRUN!!! Woot!!! rotate.gif
imperialus
Oh, and Joel, just an FYI, 20:00 hrs is actually 8 pm, not 10. 10pm is 22:00 hrs. If you'd rather I can switch the posting format to a 12 hour clock. I just find it's easier to use military time since runners are often working at 3 or 4 in the morning. Catching a cab at 18:30 would mean you're catching it at 6:30 PM.
Seraph Kast
Yeah, if the times over 12, subtract 12. My character's got an activesoft for driving, but I decided that since he probably uses the Underground for a lot of travel (free, mostly anyway, and also out of sight of any cops who might object to guns) he hadn't actually bought a car yet.
imperialus
DustyGhost just sent me a PM, figured I'd answer it here to save repeating myself.
Oh yeah!

Arn't we going to need somewhere to store our credits?

I have a whole mess of house rules for dealing with finance but I'm not going to worry about them. What I would recommend doing is assuming that after your first big payday Tinman helps set you up with an offshore numbered account where you can deposit your cash. Keep a few grand attached to various SINs for day to day expenses/bribes but don't worry beyond that.
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 12 2008, 02:56 PM) *
Oh, and Joel, just an FYI, 20:00 hrs is actually 8 pm, not 10. 10pm is 22:00 hrs. If you'd rather I can switch the posting format to a 12 hour clock. I just find it's easier to use military time since runners are often working at 3 or 4 in the morning. Catching a cab at 18:30 would mean you're catching it at 6:30 PM.

Stick with 24 hour time. I don't know why I blew it, but I'll leave it there as an indication that Mack sometimes gets time a bit confused. He ordered the cab for the right time, anyway. (Heck, the 1 klick walk will take him less than 4 minutes.)

Joel
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 12 2008, 11:32 AM) *
I let it stack. If (when devil.gif) things get to the point where you need to pull out an Assault Rifle then chances are you'll need every bit of recoil compensation you can get.

Speaking of recoil, should I assume any recoil compensation from high strength? I know the old rules had that, but I don't know if there are any yet for 4th edition. I've seen several house rules on the forum.

Thanks,
Joel
Dusty Ghost
FINALLY!!! Here is my Character:

Streetname: Sweeps
Primary SIN: Simon Kilder
Concept: Professional Dirt Digger, Blackmailer and infiltrator. Sneaky is not the word!

Race: Elf
[ Spoiler ]

Detailed Concept:
Sweeps has been slowly building himself up to what he calls "The Big One!" for many years now. He's been breaking into corp offices and secure buildings for years, honing his skills in stealth and trickery. He often disguises himself and will spend hours pretending to be people to make him good at what he does.
For the most part, Sweeps has been tailing medium level corp types, to see what dirt he can dig up on the suits. If that involves B&E to get the data he needs, then so be it! He loves the challenge.
Recently though, he's been feeling ready to up his game, to move up the levels, until he hits "The Big One!"
Be careful not to judge his small frame, he's agile, and QUICK! You may meet his smile while meeting his blade!!

Roll for starting cash: (1d6,1d6,1d6=[3], [2], [4]) = 450 nuyen.gif
imperialus
Cool. Copied him to the master list. You forgot to add your cyberware and initiative to the character so I popped them in for you.
JoelHalpern
Dusty, I hate to be picky, and character critique is up to the GM, but I can't make it add up. Where's the 25 points for taking Reaction to 6 come from? The 180 seems to perfectly add up with reaction at 5.
Am I being blind?
Edit: Ahh, that's 5 (6). Then no question, just my blindness.

Thanks,
Joel
imperialus
no, not blindness either. Dusty just forgot to separate his natural/augmented reaction. I did it in my master sheet though.

Oh, and you were asking about high strength providing recoil comp. It's really up to you guys. I've run it both ways and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference one way or the other.

If you do want recoil comp through strength then you get 1 point at Str 6, two points at 8, and three at 10.

*edit* also if you guys don't want to pay the 5K for a car I've tweaked the NPC hacker who will be helping you out so she can rig as well. She has a GMC bulldog.
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 12 2008, 05:05 PM) *
Oh, and you were asking about high strength providing recoil comp. It's really up to you guys. I've run it both ways and it doesn't seem to make a huge difference one way or the other.

If you do want recoil comp through strength then you get 1 point at Str 6, two points at 8, and three at 10.

*edit* also if you guys don't want to pay the 5K for a car I've tweaked the NPC hacker who will be helping you out so she can rig as well. She has a GMC bulldog.

The Recoil Compensation for strength makes sense to me, but I'll leave it to those without a vested interest.

On the car, the bulldog, driven by an NPC, makes more sense to me. (I don't care if it's adjusted, fitting a 9' tall 720 pound guy in a car just seems difficult.)

Joel
imperialus
The one warning I would have about it is that it does make the game a little bit more deadly. Automatic fire can do a lot of damage with a good roll and recoil compensation makes it easier to get those rolls. It also makes the game a bit more cinematic just by virtue of the fact that there is more lead flying through the air.
Dusty Ghost
QUOTE (imperialus @ May 12 2008, 10:05 PM) *
no, not blindness either. Dusty just forgot to separate his natural/augmented reaction. I did it in my master sheet though.

You forgot to add your cyberware and initiative to the character so I popped them in for you.

Ah! God's that was dumb! Sorry!

I'll mod the posted sheet too.
Dusty Ghost
By the way, everyone feel free to call me Mark if that helps makes this more personal. Though Dusty is my nickname, you can call me either. smile.gif
Dusty Ghost
Wait! I just realised that my character does not have any Jazz, nore a way to take it. Should I give him that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012