Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running Wild
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Stahlseele
Sure, no biggy
Brazilian_Shinobi
Revivus Threadus Mortus!

Ok, I did check if there were other threads talking about this (there is none).
Checked Catalyst site for any Running Wild errata (there is none).
So, here is the million dollar question: "how much does it cost to keep a Temu?"
The table on page 34 does not list them.
Method
First, I commend you on recycling an appropriate thread for your question. We all have to do our part, but together we can reduce the intervironmental damage done by endless threads about cat girls and what movies remind people of Shadowrun... silly.gif

Second, I would note that the entry for a baboon says 25,000¥. The base cost for a temu should be roughly comparable, if not a little more.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Yeah, at first I thought the same thing, but a baboon is not like a vervet monkey, specially if you consider that a baboon needs a luxury lifestyle, is one and a half bigger and weights 6 times more than a vervet monkey they should be much more easier to handle, right?
Method
True, but they are also awakened, presumably more rare and have commercially useful abilities...
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Method @ Jan 6 2010, 02:27 AM) *
True, but they are also awakened, presumably more rare and have commercially useful abilities...

I'm not arguing the 25k cost. I'm arguing that taking care of a vervet monkey should not be a Luxury lifestyle. An uncle of mine have two capuchin monkeys and he does not have a luxury lifestyle.
Anyway, I know I can house-rule it with my GM, I was just trying to get a more debated answer.
Method
Sorry, I didn't catch that in your initial post. I agree that luxury seems a little excessive, even for a baboon (especially when you can keep a Gabriel Hound or Fenrir Wolf at medium). I would just ask you GM if you can keep it at a lifestyle that fits your character and your game.
Jaid
QUOTE (Method @ Jan 6 2010, 11:05 AM) *
Sorry, I didn't catch that in your initial post. I agree that luxury seems a little excessive, even for a baboon (especially when you can keep a Gabriel Hound or Fenir Wolf at medium). I would just ask you GM if you can keep it at a lifestyle that fits your character and your game.

presumably fenrir wolfs and gabriel hounds look enough like regular dogs that the amount of space is not restrictive. additionally, they are likely to be at least moderately comfortable (especially the gabriel hounds) in an urban setting. additionally, their diet is probably similar enough to dogs that you can get readily-available dog food to keep them (somewhat) healthy.

a babboon, on the other hand, is large and needs a lot of space... and you probably can't just take it for a walk. most likely it needs to have food specifically brought in for it, and you're going to need a special environment made for it most likely.

i do agree that a small monkey is likely to be less of a problem, if only because it's smaller size means that an apartment might be a large enough space for it to spend most of it's time in, and the fact that it is much, much smaller and needs much much less of any special dietary needs as a result.
Method
One of the things that I really wish Running Wild would have included was Size Comparison Charts...

But even based on the text its plain to see that the Fenrir Wolf stands about as tall at the shoulders as an average human and weighs almost twice as much. We're talking about a wolf the size of a horse. Per the fluff, meat is a rare delicacy in 207x. The text also notes that they are territorial and almost impossible to tame...

The Temu is smaller than a baboon, and is noted to be omnivorous, which means that it can be fed just about anything, including garbage (That is the mundane vervet monkey, BTW).

Your points are well taken on the Gabriel Hound though...
Jaid
meat is in fact quite common in shadowrun. just most people don't *want* to eat the readily-available stuff wink.gif

(and if you don't want to consider feeding your fenrir long pig, there are plenty of rats and bugs that could provide nourishment, as long as you don't want the food to be labelled as fit for human consumption)
Sheala
I want the (teh) kitteh, even though my current character is a Mage with gremlins 2. Aww so cuuute kitteh, the whole idea of kitty living in matrix made my bran melt.
Apathy
QUOTE (Sheala @ Jan 6 2010, 06:13 PM) *
I want the (teh) kitteh, even though my current character is a Mage with gremlins 2. Aww so cuuute kitteh, the whole idea of kitty living in matrix made my bran melt.

I like the image of showing up at the shadow meet and getting introduced to the other team members for the first time. "Ok, so you're the stealth guy, he's the street sam/muscle, I'm magical support... and if we need matrix support we can use my cat..."

(I know that's not how it works, but I giggle a bit at the looks he would generate.)
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jan 6 2010, 07:24 PM) *
meat is in fact quite common in shadowrun. just most people don't *want* to eat the readily-available stuff wink.gif

(and if you don't want to consider feeding your fenrir long pig, there are plenty of rats and bugs that could provide nourishment, as long as you don't want the food to be labelled as fit for human consumption)

Just make a deal with the nearest Ghoul den, for every 10 pounds of meat they get, you receive one and you will run errands for them occasionaly.
BookWyrm
Granted, there are a few species missing, but this can be made up for in a PDF supplement. I'm actually enjoying the book.
WyldKnight
Since I believe in the recycling of threads as well I have a little question. Running wild mentions how animals trained to fight in a pack gain a bonus that is basically the natural version of a Tacnet. I've been talking to my GM about allowing me to have a Wolf Shifter run as a pack leader for a group of city dogs and get the bonus like they do. He's still thinking about it but what would you guys do? Just to make a note if my shifter was hooked up to my teams tacnet he could only get the bonus die from one group not both. I know thats obvious but I wanted to make it known so it wouldn't be mentioned again.
Brazilian_Shinobi
I liked your idea. But how exactly would you define the "rating" of a natural tacnet? Just consider it evolves naturally according to the number of pack members?
WyldKnight
They actually tell you how to do it in running wild in the section on training animals. Cant get to the book at the moment but my gms only complaint is that i would get a tacnet very early on. I told him that a wolf shifter is terrible build wise because of the bp cost yet it has human stats. Sure i get bonuses but my dice pool wont be much different from the others because of how i need to arrange my points.
hobgoblin
and also, how often can one make use of it? if one try to infiltrate some place, a pack of dogs showing up would get people to wonder, even in the barrens, no?
Jaid
i would probably charge you the same as if you were a technomancer wanting to learn a tacnet complex form (ie 1 karma per rating point max), but otherwise i would have no problem
WyldKnight
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and also, how often can one make use of it? if one try to infiltrate some place, a pack of dogs showing up would get people to wonder, even in the barrens, no?

That would mean they saw us which means we failed the infiltration anyway and that extra muscle would be nice. A pack of dogs probably wouldn't raise eyebrows in a place filled with stray/abandoned pets. Now in a cleaner part of the city of course it would but just like my character wouldn't bring his pack to meet the Johnson (well maybe one just in case) you probably won't bring along an assault rifle. I just think they would be a useful tool like any other weapon a runner would own. Of course my character wouldn't see them as such but from an OOC perspective they would be very useful in certain situations. Maybe not breaking into a facility but they would still be useful in a fight, as literal watch dogs watching our escape route, they can sniff out invisible threats we may miss like a cloaked mage or the smell of explosive, and their each an extra set of eyes, ears, and noses to help us from being ambushed.

QUOTE (Jaid)
i would probably charge you the same as if you were a technomancer wanting to learn a tacnet complex form (ie 1 karma per rating point max), but otherwise i would have no problem

I think that's fair. Now I talked to him again today and he has basically ok'd it going with what you said. Now my biggest issue is making an effective wolf shifter. Human stats and if I remember correctly they cost 40 bp. Oh...that sounds fun...
hobgoblin
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Jan 7 2010, 08:10 AM) *
That would mean they saw us which means we failed the infiltration anyway and that extra muscle would be nice.

a infiltration may well happen in the open, con artist style wink.gif
WyldKnight
Haha good point, in that case I would probably be there waiting for it to go wrong so i could kill stuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012