Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running Wild
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jul 19 2009, 03:29 PM) *
So, a question. How does one go about purchasing a Bastet at Character Generation?

Step 1: Research your GM's weakness. Often these may revolve around food, for example, home-made toffee.

Step 2: Make a large batch of toffee.

Step 3: Hand GM toffee. Wait 15 minutes, until toffee-induced euphoria sets in.

Step 4: Hand GM character sheet for approval and hope toffee-induced haze prevents him from seeing the Bastet.

As a more serious answer, there are no rules (or prices) for purchasing any technocritters at this time, as fits their rarity. If you want one, it's something best discussed with your GM.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 19 2009, 09:06 PM) *
It's a disease, similar to the toxin rules but not quite. Basically 1 day (10) means you make one test ever 24 hours, ten tests in total (originally was gonna be 1 week (12) to correspond with the original 90 days thing, but that was vetoed as too long; chalk it up to a sudden increase in virulence). If they fail a test, they lose 0.1 Essence. They lose 1.0 Essence that way, they become a ghoul.

Vector: Contact
Speed: 1 day (10)
Penetration: –6
Power: 8
Nature: Retroviral

To resist it one would need 8 hits each test. Meaning 24 dice. After the -6 to any protection rating.

I can't really see why anyone would go near a ghoul. But then, I am playing in my little world, where things are supposed to make sense.
Fuchs
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 19 2009, 09:35 PM) *
On a separate issue, I would have preferred to see it take a few months rather than 10 days. The latter is a bit too Dr. Who. And if you're going for the horror angle, you can do a lot more with a slow, doomed transformation than you can with next week you die. It gives you time to hunt down that last enemy or pull off a final big run to make sure your daughter is set up, before you blow your brains out.

But ghouls are people too, even if their mere touch transforms you into a cannibal. Somehow, people are not afraid of them anymore. Only the big bad humanis are not treating them like people, any good folks like ghouls!
hobgoblin
ghouls, the hiv infected of SR...
Fuchs
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 19 2009, 09:44 PM) *
ghouls, the hiv infected of SR...

That's a slap in the face of any HIV infected, Hobgoblin.

Unlike ghouls HIV infected can touch you (and do a lot of other things, especially with protection) without infecting you. And our meds work in halting most infections.
Bull
Just a quick note kids, lets not derail this thread with heated debates over single topics. Lets keep this thread for general Running Wild discussion. If you want to debate the merits (or lack thereof) of HMHVV, Ghouls, or whatever else, please open up a specific thread for that.

Thanks

Bull
Ancient History
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 19 2009, 07:35 PM) *
And they have to resist 8DV with just Body dice for each test?

No, there's no damage. You're just reducing the power - you fail, Essence loss.

The -6 means that no medkit with anti-viral drugs, etc. is going to make much / any difference, correct?

No anti-HMHVV antivirals work anyway, so the -6 on the penetration just applies against protective gear.

Bar the burning of Edge or one super-lucky troll, that means you become a ghoul. Am I missing anything?

Cure Disease still works, and a Dwarf's innate resistance, and the adept Natural Immunity power, , as does any sort of drug or 'ware that boosts Body directly. You have to fail ten tests and lose 1.0 Essence to become a ghoul - so one brush with infection need not be immediately character-ending.

This is generally why one wants to shoot ghouls /from a distance/. With fire. So that the smoke from the burning bodies goes downwind. Preferably in the direction of unnecessary people.
Zen Shooter01
OK, I'm liking the book, but including the Grim Reaper is a little much. RW 179.
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Jul 19 2009, 08:54 PM) *
OK, I'm liking the book, but including the Grim Reaper is a little much. RW 179.

Must.Resist.Making a Ghost Busters Shadowrun group.
Bull
QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jul 19 2009, 03:56 PM) *

Don't resist. Come GM it for me smile.gif
Heath Robinson
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jul 19 2009, 08:35 PM) *
As a more serious answer, there are no rules (or prices) for purchasing any technocritters at this time, as fits their rarity. If you want one, it's something best discussed with your GM.

I presume the same goes for having a friendly Kitteh. Damn, I wanted to annoy my future teams!
Regiment
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jul 19 2009, 05:15 AM) *
Edit III: It is dark, a grue may eat you.

It is very dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
>

hobgoblin
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Jul 19 2009, 09:45 PM) *
That's a slap in the face of any HIV infected, Hobgoblin.

Unlike ghouls HIV infected can touch you (and do a lot of other things, especially with protection) without infecting you. And our meds work in halting most infections.

ok, so maybe leper would be more correct, from back when they had no clue what so ever how it was transmitted...

thing is that public perception of something, and the medical perception can vary wildly, for any number of reasons...

sure, the ghoul is a person, but at the same time a walking infection. while i may not be socially acceptable to shoot on sight, they will probably be shunned and isolated, lone star calling medical to move them to special places when reported outside of z-zones and so on...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Heath Robinson @ Jul 19 2009, 10:12 PM) *
I presume the same goes for having a friendly Kitteh. Damn, I wanted to annoy my future teams!

Actually, I toyed with the idea of an uplifted, technomancer raven a few months back. Sadly, the technocritter rules don't support characters.

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 19 2009, 08:58 PM) *
Seeing as ghouls have been presented as actual people rather than just Karma-on-the-hoof since second edition,[...]

Yes, that's my point. In SR2 and SR3, KHMHVV was the fate of the poor and unfortunate - it was less dangerous than rabies. Those were the people you could ignore, sympathize with or hunt down.
In SR4, those aren't people anymore, but a wildfire waiting to happen, requiring massive HAZMAT logistics even to combat - and that can't be ignored.
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 19 2009, 09:48 PM) *
Cure Disease still works, and a Dwarf's innate resistance, and the adept Natural Immunity power, , as does any sort of drug or 'ware that boosts Body directly.

As does something that isn't neither an antiviral or inocculation, nor gives bonus dice that could be eaten be penetration.
CodeBreaker
*gets his shotgun*

Git out 'ma thread, ya Ghoulie lovin' bastards!

*fires warning shots*
Knight Saber
How much does the book have in the way of mundane creature stats? It's hard for mages to use the Shapechange and (Critter) Form spells when the core book has just four animals in it.
knasser
QUOTE (Knight Saber @ Jul 19 2009, 09:44 PM) *
How much does the book have in the way of mundane creature stats? It's hard for mages to use the Shapechange and (Critter) Form spells when the core book has just four animals in it.

It has more mundane critters than you could ever use.

What surprised me was the information on dragons and spirits that I wasn't expecting. In fact, there are many things hidden away in there. It wasn't until the third skimming that I noticed there were GHOSTS in the book.

And warforms. They take up about a page and you could easily miss them just skimming through, but when you read what they can do... :o
CodeBreaker

Just a second, counting up all the different stat boxes.

EDIT: OK! I count 47 different Mundane Stat Boxes from the Mundane Chapter. Now, each of the Stat Boxes has examples for different versions of that animal. So thats probably about 100 different Stat Boxes for Mundane Animals.
Heath Robinson

There are 11 pages of just stats to cover practically every kind of animal you might need. They're done in the same manner as the Arsenal vehicles - a profile named for a particular species with a list of animals that are similar enough to share the stats.
knasser
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 19 2009, 08:48 PM) *
No, there's no damage. You're just reducing the power - you fail, Essence loss.

No anti-HMHVV antivirals work anyway, so the -6 on the penetration just applies against protective gear.

Cure Disease still works, and a Dwarf's innate resistance, and the adept Natural Immunity power, , as does any sort of drug or 'ware that boosts Body directly. You have to fail ten tests and lose 1.0 Essence to become a ghoul - so one brush with infection need not be immediately character-ending.

This is generally why one wants to shoot ghouls /from a distance/. With fire. So that the smoke from the burning bodies goes downwind. Preferably in the direction of unnecessary people.

In response to Bull's request for not having too much topic drift, I've replied to you over in a more appropriate thread here. smile.gif

K.
Shinobi Killfist
What kind of armor/body does the Juggernaut have??

In 1e it was bad assed and dropped deadly damage to no damage automatically. It didn't have to roll unless you staged past deadly. 2e it was kind of wussy.
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 19 2009, 10:07 PM) *
What kind of armor/body does the Juggernaut have??

In 1e it was bad assed and dropped deadly damage to no damage automatically. It didn't have to roll unless you staged past deadly. 2e it was kind of wussy.

Body 17
Strength 42
12 Hardened Armour
CodeBreaker
One thing about the Juggernaught.

Identification: The juggernaut is an unstoppable force that
strongly resembles a dramatically enlarged specimen of its
mundane relative, the common armadillo (Dasypus praegrandis).

Isn't the common (North American i.e 9 Banded) Armadillo Dasypus novemcinctus, and the Juggernaught itself Praegrandis? Yes, thats right, I am questioning your use of Latin! grinbig.gif
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jul 19 2009, 05:10 PM) *
Body 17
Strength 42
12 Hardened Armour

Wow weaksauce.

I can make an orc who rolls more dice to resist damage than that. And hardened armor 12 only really bounces small arms. It used to be city master+ level of defense, now its like a 4 door car.
CodeBreaker
Horizon Media Clip ::search ::
Extinct Species profiles from
2000–Present
• African Gorilla
• Black-Footed Ferret
• Black Rhinoceros
• California Condor
• Caspian Seal
• Cuban Crocodile
• European Eel
• Fishing Cat
• Gray Bat
• Grevy’s Zebra
• Honey Bee (Africanized, Dwarf, Giant)
• Iberian Lynx
• Nine-Spotted Ladybug
• North American Panther
• Parachute Tarantula
• Polar Bear*
• Rafflesia Magnifica
• Slender-Billed Vulture
• Striped Possum
• Sumatran Tiger
• Tasmanian Devil
• Tortoise (Ploughshare, Radiated)

Emphasis. *ahem* NOOOOOoooOOoOOOoo! Not the Striped Possum! You couldn't of had some annoying animals killed off, like Giant Spiders that Eat Your Face. No, had to be the Possum.
Fuchs
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jul 19 2009, 11:25 PM) *
Wow weaksauce.

I can make an orc who rolls more dice to resist damage than that. And hardened armor 12 only really bounces small arms. It used to be city master+ level of defense, now its like a 4 door car.

My thoughts too. I don't get why such a big and weak target isn't extinct/limited to preservations. Hunting them with a chopper or drone would be damn easy.
BookWyrm
I reserve any and all judgements until I have the book in my hands.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Jul 19 2009, 12:33 PM) *
No Talis Cat frown.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jul 19 2009, 05:19 PM) *
Fuchs--There is a Bounty Listing for the CAS and UCAS for all types of Infected in Running Wild, so you can KoS and get paid. Just avoid doing that in say...Asamando.

Wait, RC claimed that both the CAS and UCAS give out SINs to the Infected...
Fuchs
(wrong thread)
Ancient History
So shoot the SINless ones.
Fuchs
(wrong thread)
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jul 19 2009, 11:58 PM) *
So shoot the SINless ones.

And then shoot the SINners when noone is looking. What? Can you tell the difference between one Ghoul or the other? Whos gonna know! smile.gif
BlackJaw
QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jul 19 2009, 12:56 PM) *

Ghost Busters work so well with all the Manatech in Arsenal... and laser guns.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (knasser @ Jul 19 2009, 01:49 PM) *
And warforms. They take up about a page and you could easily miss them just skimming through, but when you read what they can do... :o
I hope you like them. The one page just gives basic information about them. Combine that information with the Mundane Critters section and suddenly a whole world of options shows up. One that I wanted to do but had it shot down, was a Warform Chimeric Juggernaught Biodrone. Sure, the damn thing would cost millions (before training it), but the possibilities became amazingly deadly.
Cardul
Interesting thing...the comment from Netcat about people thinking that she shouldn't be hacking or digging in the resonance realms right now....I wonder what is going on?
Method
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jul 19 2009, 05:22 PM) *
I hope you like them. The one page just gives basic information about them. Combine that information with the Mundane Critters section and suddenly a whole world of options shows up.

I am so stoked about biodrones! Almost all the mundane critters I suggested made it into the book. Now I can build a chameleon spy-bio-drone for my wilderness recon rigger, but first I need to design my Worm's style pigeon bomb!!!

Now where are those rules for area effect cranial bombs... vegm.gif
Prime Mover
Any mention of Bio-Morph Drones?
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Cardul @ Jul 19 2009, 08:29 PM) *
Interesting thing...the comment from Netcat about people thinking that she shouldn't be hacking or digging in the resonance realms right now....I wonder what is going on?

Did you read the short story at the begining of the technocritter chapter?
Blade
That list of extinct species is extremely short... even if you consider that they just list the most common/known species.

Reminds me of when I read House of the Sun. Dirk Montgomery mentions that dolphins have disappeared. It made me realize that in some respect, today's SR world looks brighter than the one back then.
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Jul 19 2009, 09:36 PM) *
Any mention of Bio-Morph Drones?

Take that as a no. Only reason I asked was twice in the past I was told to wait for Running Wild to find out more.
knasser
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jul 20 2009, 01:22 AM) *
I hope you like them. The one page just gives basic information about them. Combine that information with the Mundane Critters section and suddenly a whole world of options shows up. One that I wanted to do but had it shot down, was a Warform Chimeric Juggernaught Biodrone. Sure, the damn thing would cost millions (before training it), but the possibilities became amazingly deadly.

Oh I do and don't worry - I realise their potential. I have a player in my group that's feeling a bit redundant because his (imo) perfectly adequate Physical Adept is (iho) being overshadowed by a sammie-face. He has Animal Attunement but hasn't picked an animal type yet. The new skills give him something to spend his karma on and, once they start building up a bit more rep and get higher paying jobs, he'll have something to aim for as well. You've heard of the Bird Man of Alcatraz. Well, now I give you: the Gengineered Mutant Dog Man of Redmond. biggrin.gif

The warforms were your work? I like them. I think the power-level is about realistic and the costs, once you factor in training costs, are pretty well pitched. +2 Karma. wink.gif

K.
BishopMcQ
Knasser--Like nearly all of our work, it was communal. I started with an idea, and had the Devs and freelancers all weigh in, changes were made and you see the end results.

Prime Mover--What do expect from a Bio-Morph drone, that a bio-drone doesn't cover? If you give me some more info, I can help you out.
Prime Mover
Well I haven't read Running Wild yet, so I can't comment on whats in it. The drones in question were a focal point in the fiction in Runners Companion. I may have been under the wrong impression in assuming they were something out of the ordinary?
Malachi
QUOTE (Cardul @ Jul 19 2009, 07:29 PM) *

She's throwing up in the morning. Connect the dots.
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (Malachi @ Jul 20 2009, 09:16 PM) *
She's throwing up in the morning. Connect the dots.

OOOooooo... yeah that makes sense.

(Slamm-O being a Dad... that would be amusing.)
Starmage21
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Jul 19 2009, 01:54 PM) *
anyways, dracoforms? as i see no comments about it, i guess the dragons as PC's did not go into the book (would love to see it in official print at some point, for shits and giggles) silly.gif

Me too. Better options that arent used often versus not an option at all, especially when the whole dragon spiel during that "april fools prank" was such a hot topic.
BishopMcQ
Prime Mover--As far as I can tell reading about them, the bio-morph drones are VGI grown organisms with a drone interface, so they will be covered.
TheForgotten
Any info on Pixies or the other Non human PC options out of runners companion?
CodeBreaker
QUOTE (TheForgotten @ Jul 21 2009, 01:35 AM) *
Any info on Pixies or the other Non human PC options out of runners companion?

A fair bit of Fluff, but very little to no Crunch.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (CodeBreaker @ Jul 20 2009, 08:39 PM) *
A fair bit of Fluff, but very little to no Crunch.

There's a full chapter (A Walk on the Wild Side) devoted to "fluff" on Sapient non-metas. Talks about their culture, about integrating into meta society, has a blog from a Centaur (poor Bob), etc. I had fun with that chapter. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012