Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking Seattle runners…
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
milk ducks
My character sheet and background will be submitted later on today. I work only a short shift this morning, then I'll have all evening to finish it up.

-milk.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Oct 26 2009, 05:17 AM) *
Roles
Healing would appear to be a hole for the moment.
You're still light on decking, generally, from what I've been given.
You're excellent in close combat and passable in ranged combat.
You seem to have transport covered for now.
You've got infiltration and B&E pretty well covered.
You should be AOK in the Face department.
You could use a scrounger, though one of the generalists may have that set.
You could use a Build & Repair person, though one of the generalists may have that set.[/font]

Considering the rules used for Healing, do you mean long term healing? Not that I can fit medicine into Orb either in background or in points.

BlueMax
pbangarth
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 26 2009, 06:29 AM) *
Just a quick note on stardust peter, you gave him 66 free karma for knowledge skills, but I only count 60 points worth.

I recounted and kept getting 63, so I fixed it. Thanks.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Oct 26 2009, 08:17 AM) *

Roles
Healing would appear to be a hole for the moment.
You're still light on decking, generally, from what I've been given.
You're excellent in close combat and passable in ranged combat.
You seem to have transport covered for now.
You've got infiltration and B&E pretty well covered.
You should be AOK in the Face department.
You could use a scrounger, though one of the generalists may have that set.
You could use a Build & Repair person, though one of the generalists may have that set.

For healing, Stardust has spells Heal and Resist Pain; and skills First Aid (3) and Medicine (1 - obviously the assistant rather than the lead surgeon) plus equipment to support these.

For build and repair, Stardust has Mechanic Group (2) plus equipment.

How about other PCs? Should one character be the primary, or can teamwork make things happen?
DigitalOYABUN
In what aspect are you refering to scrounger? ie a dumpster diver? someone with low/street contacts?

In a build & repair guru, are you looking for a more static person? ie the geek in the lab?

Healing...remember those concepts I sent you in a PM kerenshara? lol
Kerenshara
OK, Stardust is a full mage and has a 6+ MAGic, so that's good for Magical Healing (the only "instant" healing that's really healed). I was more thinking somebody with good First Aid to help mitigate wound penalties on the 'run. Skill 3 or 4 preferably. Medicine 3 would be useful.

Scrounging includes contacts, build & repair, whatever it takes to get or improvise the odd piece of gear that might be needed.

Build & Repair 2 is passable, I was just wondering if with this many boddies we had a real mechanic/armorer.
Marwynn
I neglected to mention my character has a Rating 3 in Arcana, Enchanting, Armorer, and Hardware. No Electronics I'm afraid, which I don't know if it makes sense for a Rigger not to have. He's not a hacker-rigger, so if you want him controlling something someone needs to give him access.

Does that count?

And sadly no I don't have First Aid. I have Magic 7 (6) and Heal too though. And I'll probably have a CrashCart somewhere.

I'll probably have to use the Advanced Lifestyles to get some sorta shop somewhere, and a Magical Lodge.

Kerenshara, okay that stuff makes sense thanks. I'm working on the fluffy stuff now since the skills are in flux still.

Spell requests anyone? Spending an awful lot of Karma on spells so might as well get one you may want cast on you.

EDIT: Also, if we're getting too heavy on the Magic I can do a great Mundane Hacker/Rigger if we're in need.
pbangarth
I might as well toss this out now, and see how the sharks circle. Drain cannot be healed by magic. Period.

Now, the Resist Pain spell (SR4A, p. 208) does not heal damage. It merely removes the effects of the damage, and if more damage is suffered, the effects of Resist Pain are nullified. So, fellow players too, but Kerenshara in particular, can Resist Pain be used on damage suffered through Drain?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Oct 26 2009, 10:19 AM) *
I might as well toss this out now, and see how the sharks circle. Drain cannot be healed by magic. Period.

Now, the Resist Pain spell (SR4A, p. 208) does not heal damage. It merely removes the effects of the damage, and if more damage is suffered, the effects of Resist Pain are nullified. So, fellow players too, but Kerenshara in particular, can Resist Pain be used on damage suffered through Drain?

As it only counteracts wound modifiers, hai. It works fine.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 26 2009, 10:09 AM) *
I neglected to mention my character has a Rating 3 in Arcana, Enchanting, Armorer, and Hardware. No Electronics I'm afraid, which I don't know if it makes sense for a Rigger not to have. He's not a hacker-rigger, so if you want him controlling something someone needs to give him access.

Does that count?

And sadly no I don't have First Aid. I have Magic 7 (6) and Heal too though. And I'll probably have a CrashCart somewhere.

I'll probably have to use the Advanced Lifestyles to get some sorta shop somewhere, and a Magical Lodge.

Kerenshara, okay that stuff makes sense thanks. I'm working on the fluffy stuff now since the skills are in flux still.

Spell requests anyone? Spending an awful lot of Karma on spells so might as well get one you may want cast on you.

EDIT: Also, if we're getting too heavy on the Magic I can do a great Mundane Hacker/Rigger if we're in need.

Bear in mind, with this many people, it's likely I may split you up, so having two "real" mages could be a real help. And a second person with Heal makes healing well done. Those skills are also a plus. Keep on as you are.
Embers
What metamagics can adepts actually make use of that are actually worthwhile? I have masking but I'm wondering if without Astra Perception I can use it, I'm likely to get adept centering next initiation, but after that, is there anything more worthwhile than extra PPs?

Marwynn
Alrighty, thanks.
DigitalOYABUN
with 2 full blown mages and a mystic adept, I can drop my mystic adept idea and focus on something close to a scrounger with out losing the 'dapper ork ganger' image...although he'll still be without repair and build. He'll just have lots of useful contacts.

I do not mind playing a completely supportive role in the least bit. So, let me know what's needed guys and I will try to fill that gap (with a bit of style! lol)
pbangarth
QUOTE (Embers @ Oct 26 2009, 11:47 AM) *
What metamagics can adepts actually make use of that are actually worthwhile? I have masking but I'm wondering if without Astra Perception I can use it, I'm likely to get adept centering next initiation, but after that, is there anything more worthwhile than extra PPs?

Without Astral Perception, it may be difficult for your character to control what change happens to his aura. He may be able to effect change, but it could be random.

Adept Centering is good for sure. Sensing doesn't appear to need Astral Perception. The Attunements are kind of cool and the Item one can beef up combat or driving or all kinds of things. Cognition and Somatic Control look right up the alley of adepts, but I'm not so sure the Drain doesn't make them too dangerous to use. Infusion seems to me to be a very good follow up to Adept Centering. If Masking is not good without Astral Perception, then you may consider Adept Centering and Infusion. Infusion too comes with Drain, but it can power up any adept power your character has, and with the addition of an Infusion Focus (Digital Grimoire), you can even avoid Drain.

Just for the fun of it, I am working on and off on a shepherd with Attunement (Dog) and Empower Animal. You'd be surprised what a mojoed up border collie can do!
Karoline
As I'm one of the magic types (Mystic Adept) I guess I can share that I only have 2 points of my magic put towards spells and I only have a mostly supportive roll in my spells:
Stunball
Mana Bind
Improved Invisibility
Control Thoughts
Levitate
Fashion

And yeah, low spellcasting, so don't expect my character to be blasting anything into tiny little bits, her spells are mostly to support her adept side and to provide her with some level of ranged combat.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Oct 26 2009, 11:28 AM) *
As it only counteracts wound modifiers, hai. It works fine.

Great! So we may be glass cannons, but our guns will blaze well till we die!
Karoline
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Oct 26 2009, 12:28 PM) *
Great! So we may be glass cannons, but our guns will blaze well till we die!

Speak for yourself. I'm fairly good at resisting damage. All hail double digit armor biggrin.gif
Marwynn
Chaos Mage Tradition.

So far my Spell List is:

Stunball
Lightning Bolt (one of the other Elements, not made up my mind yet)

Combat Sense
Detect Life Extended
Astral Window
Spatial Sense

Increase Reflexes
Heal

Trid Phantasm
Vehicle Mask

Alter Memory
Control Thoughts
Levitate
Fix
Mana Static
Pulse-like Spell
Another Spell

Power 3 Health Sustaining Focus, easier to cast Heal and/or keep up Improved Reflexes. Maybe the spare spell could be Stabilize?

As you can see it's again mostly supportive. It's subject to change of course, and if there's something you want let me know.

Transportation

Will I be buying the transports? Because they're going to have to be used since I'm using up a lot of Karma as it is. I have 52k roughly left with no gear bought just yet save the ware and foci. So lemme know if I have to arrange transport for everyone.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Embers @ Oct 26 2009, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Oct 26 2009, 12:21 PM) *
Without Astral Perception, it may be difficult for your character to control what change happens to his aura. He may be able to effect change, but it could be random.

Adept Centering is good for sure. Sensing doesn't appear to need Astral Perception. The Attunements are kind of cool and the Item one can beef up combat or driving or all kinds of things. Cognition and Somatic Control look right up the alley of adepts, but I'm not so sure the Drain doesn't make them too dangerous to use. Infusion seems to me to be a very good follow up to Adept Centering. If Masking is not good without Astral Perception, then you may consider Adept Centering and Infusion. Infusion too comes with Drain, but it can power up any adept power your character has, and with the addition of an Infusion Focus (Digital Grimoire), you can even avoid Drain.

Just for the fun of it, I am working on and off on a shepherd with Attunement (Dog) and Empower Animal. You'd be surprised what a mojoed up border collie can do!

Bottom line on Masking: you can make your aura appear brighter (more powerful), dimmer (less powerful), or mundane. That's it, unless you have Astral Perception. But that covers the biggie most people worry about: "Who, me? Awakend? Sorry, chummer, I think you have the wrong metahuman."
Embers
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Oct 26 2009, 02:28 PM) *
Bottom line on Masking: you can make your aura appear brighter (more powerful), dimmer (less powerful), or mundane. That's it, unless you have Astral Perception. But that covers the biggie most people worry about: "Who, me? Awakend? Sorry, chummer, I think you have the wrong metahuman."

Which is all I want it for. People take mundanes a lot less seriously when they have been disarmed if they have no cyber.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Marwynn @ Oct 26 2009, 01:01 PM) *
Chaos Mage Tradition.

So far my Spell List is:

Transportation

Will I be buying the transports? Because they're going to have to be used since I'm using up a lot of Karma as it is. I have 52k roughly left with no gear bought just yet save the ware and foci. So lemme know if I have to arrange transport for everyone.

Damn, if I had known there would be two of us in Chaos, I might have considered Ritual Spellcasting.

There seems to be a bit of overlap in our spells (see post #93). Redundancy can be good, but we may want to have another look at our lists. I went for a second Initiation, so my list is shorter than yours.

Are we getting a rigger in here somewhere? He/she will probably be transport-heavy.
Kerenshara
We have a Magigger apparently. *grin*
pbangarth
Oh yeah. Now I've caught up to the same page as everybody else.
ravensoracle
To fill in some of the support role. My character has First Aid 3, Armorer 3, Chemistry 3, Demolitions 3 and Electronics Group 2. I just couldn't fit any B/R skills in there without sacrificing too much from other skills.
Lok1 :)
If its not to late I'd like to through my hat into the ring, I'd be playing my adapt Takedown, his character concept and character sheet can be found hear.
If he dosn't fit the campagin I've been DIEING to try out a technomancer so I'd be glad to roll one up.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Lok1 :) @ Oct 26 2009, 03:45 PM) *
If its not to late I'd like to through my hat into the ring, I'd be playing my adapt Takedown, his character concept and character sheet can be found hear.
If he dosn't fit the campagin I've been DIEING to try out a technomancer so I'd be glad to roll one up.

OK, you're request #12 at this point. Unless people are okay with me floating people in and out frequently between sceenes (which I can do), I think you're going to have to wait for somebody to die or drop silent. But I'm always willing to listen to ideas.
Embers
QUOTE (ravensoracle @ Oct 26 2009, 04:35 PM) *
To fill in some of the support role. My character has First Aid 3, Armorer 3, Chemistry 3, Demolitions 3 and Electronics Group 2. I just couldn't fit any B/R skills in there without sacrificing too much from other skills.

There are no B/R skills in 4th, its just the base Armorer/Chemistry/Demolition/Electronics skills. Since they are all extended tests, you should be more than fine.
Karoline
QUOTE (Embers @ Oct 26 2009, 04:54 PM) *
There are no B/R skills in 4th, its just the base Armorer/Chemistry/Demolition/Electronics skills. Since they are all extended tests, you should be more than fine.

By B/R skills, they are talking about Industrial Mechanic and other mechanic skills.

Also, everyone keeps talking about the Electronics skill which doesn't exist any more. (Or do I just keep managing to skip over it in my book?)
Embers
I was referencing the Electronics Grop (Computers, Hardware, Data Search, Software)

ravensoracle
Sorry was in a hurry so I typed that before I had to go get my kids from school. I meant the electronics group and B/R meant the mechanics skills.
Karoline
I think you misunderstood me peter. What I meant is that your int+log=10 and 10*6=60 free karma worth of knowledge skills, while you have yourself set up to gain 66 free karma worth of knowledge skills.
Kerenshara
I need this questionaire filled out and returned to me via email (pref Word or RTF file). You MAY choose to post it in a spoiler in addition if you choose. As a reminder, nobody is OBLIGATED to post any details of their characters beyond what is in Post #29, which in some cases may be ... obfuscated a bit to maintain some surprises.

OK, here's your questionaire:

[ Spoiler ]

Incidentally, please answer IN CHARACTER and with something a bit more than one-word answers as if I were conversing with the character.
Kerenshara
In case you're wondering, the questionaire is as much an exercise for YOU as a tool for ME. If you can answer IC then by the end I am certain you will have a REALLY good feel for the inside of your character's head. I know it's a LOT of work, already on top of a background, but I think it's worthwhile. VERY detailed responses MAY be worth extra Karma, so think of this as Extra Credit. Good luck!
ravensoracle
It will take me a couple of days to get the character finished. I am having to take some extra time working on my house since the cold weather here is coming quicker than expected and I have to finish some remodeling work. I will still be able to post but am not going to be able to devote as much time as needed to get teh background worked out. I'll still work on it, I just can't focus on it like I need to for a couple of days.
DigitalOYABUN
/ Junkyard /Male/ Dwarf/ Scrounger type/ Gang Ties/Build & Repair

I'm going with a dwarf (to get some more flavor into the group) scrounger type, as I see there are a few close to a Face, and a Face already in works. He'll be the work horse of the group I suppose. Expect grumbling and lots of one fingered salutes from this one.
DigitalOYABUN
Question, in SR4 20th anniv. edition it shows a leather jacket is +2/+2.......is that added to say an armored jacket? any idea on that at all?
Karoline
QUOTE (ravensoracle @ Oct 26 2009, 11:18 PM) *
It will take me a couple of days to get the character finished. I am having to take some extra time working on my house since the cold weather here is coming quicker than expected and I have to finish some remodeling work. I will still be able to post but am not going to be able to devote as much time as needed to get teh background worked out. I'll still work on it, I just can't focus on it like I need to for a couple of days.

Improving the necessities category or the comfort category? wink.gif
Kerenshara
There isn't that much of a time crunch, honestly. I had hoped to do some off-screen 1:1 RP to get the characters primed, and I originally expected a week (or two!) to get fully running, but you folks seem pretty gung ho, so I'm the one under a little pressure to perform. *grin* I'd rather you took time to have your characters to your satisfaction and I'd LOVE to have each of you completely Grok their headspace going in - it makes your interactions more intuitive and organic which improves immersion for everybody and that makes EVERYTHING more fun.

Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Kerenshara
QUOTE (DigitalOYABUN @ Oct 26 2009, 10:35 PM) *
Question, in SR4 20th anniv. edition it shows a leather jacket is +2/+2.......is that added to say an armored jacket? any idea on that at all?

Ye Olde Biker Jacket - heavy leather is pretty resistant just by it's virtue.
Karoline
QUOTE (DigitalOYABUN @ Oct 26 2009, 11:35 PM) *

*takes a breath to answer, then falls silent*.... Wait, it is +2/+2? I doubt it could work with an armored jacket, but an armored vest would make sense, or armored clothing or something like that.
ravensoracle
I found a floor joist that had a a bit of rot on it so I have part of the house on jacks while I patch it. I am just not willing to freeze while I do it .
milk ducks
It's looking more and more like I won't get this character sheet finished tonight. Having a newborn son is really, really demanding at times; and today is one of those times. All I really have left to do is the gear, but I also have to write up his backstory. I already have it in my head, but putting it to paper and answering all of those questions is going to take some time. I will do my best to get it finished tomorrow.

-milk.
JoelHalpern
Millkducks, having a small child is definitely demanding, and has to come first. (Miy son is no longer small, much less newborn, but the impression is still quite vivid.)

I have Mach's mechanics balanced, nad I've started on the questionnaire. But that is definitely going to take a little time.

Yours,
Joel
Kerenshara
Like I said, don't feel time crunched in particular. You all had interesting initial concepts; Now I want you to get deep into the character's PERSONALITY so take your time... or, since it's in-character, let them take THEIR time answering. Use it to help you better "understand" your character.

As to the Leather Jacket, it's listed as 2/2 in Arsenal, not +2/+2, so it's an "armor item" just like an Armored Jacket. I always saw the Armored Jacket (going back to descriptions in SR1) as a Leather Jacket with a general layer of soft armor throughout and semi-rigid plates over the vitals. In fact, in the older versions, it was so heavily reinforced, it was one of the WORST protective garments from the perspective of concealability.

One other note: A couple people here (and in my current live game), not to mention in threads I have read elsewhere, keep noting about how the "subtle" Secure Tech pieces can be worn "under clothing". I am going to give you a very good example of "under clothing" armor that works similarly:

Have you ever seen a police officer wearing their bullet-resistant vest under their uniform shirt in person? If you're looking for it at all, it's obvious as drek. It distorts the officer's profile, is "inorganic" in shape (flat), and makes the clothing stick out dramatically. It also makes the officer move and stand in a particular - and obvious - fashion. Take my word on it; If you have a clue what you're looking for (Perception 1+), and you get a good hard look at the target (Active Search), you're going to notice it. Secure Tech is in the same class - it can escape notice at any kind of range or under VERY heavy or shrouding layers, but don't make the mistake of considering it in the same class as FFBA. Oh, and Secure Tech can NOT be personalized and counts fully for encumbrance, unlike FFBA.

And since I got asked: FFBA is EXTREMELY subtle. In older editions of the game, even pantyhose could contribute Ballistic Armor 1. FFBA is essentially "heavy" underwear, not significantly more encumbering than insulative cold-weather underwear. It's not even as encumbering as a neopryne scuba suit. And I am going to change what I said to one of you last night slightly: If you want an "armor modification" to your FFBA, such as "chemical protection", the RTG of that modification may NOT exceed the Impact Armor value of that version of FFBA, which means that the shirt can't carry ANY options at all because it has NO Impact Armor. This protection will NOT be cumlative with any worn armor that carries the same optional feature; Only the higher value counts. Finally, if you do not wear the hood, booties AND mittens, your Full Body FFBA will count as only Half Body.

Sorry to ramble on, but I thought I should hit a couple things that seem to get a lot of debate on these boards.
DigitalOYABUN
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Oct 27 2009, 08:34 AM) *

As to the Leather Jacket, it's listed as 2/2 in Arsenal, not +2/+2, so it's an "armor item" just like an Armored Jacket. I always saw the Armored Jacket (going back to descriptions in SR1) as a Leather Jacket with a general layer of soft armor throughout and semi-rigid plates over the vitals. In fact, in the older versions, it was so heavily reinforced, it was one of the WORST protective garments from the perspective of concealability.

Yeah I saw that when I got home and looked at my hard copy of Arsenal. Apparently my screen at work needs to be cleaned.
DigitalOYABUN
Okay, I always ask this...it seems to fit my personality somewhat, but in this instance it fits the character extremely well. What is your ruling on used vehicles? Also, (I dont have books with me and will drop the page number when I can) in the Seattle 2072 book it notes that the junkyards have all sorts of parts...including older (read older SR edition) vehicles, in fact in mentions the 2051 phaton.. Junkyard is really into restoring or just scavenging good parts from vehicles...is that okay as well. He'll be taking contacts in the yards.
Kerenshara
Used vehicles are okay for minor stuff - an old GAZ or a Jackrabit for example. Nicer things I'm going to have to say, used or not, you're paying full price.

That work?

(Riggers and / or mechanics are a separate case.)
Kerenshara
Well, things seem to have trailed off a hair, which I take to mean that either people are IRL busy, burried in the questionaire, almost done, or lost interest. *grin*
Karoline
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Oct 27 2009, 04:51 PM) *
Well, things seem to have trailed off a hair, which I take to mean that either people are IRL busy, burried in the questionaire, almost done, or lost interest. *grin*

8 pages deep in the questionaire ATM wink.gif

Still need to get around to finishing up my backstory. I think I've spent more time on this character than I have on homework in the last week nyahnyah.gif
Kerenshara
OK, I've been asked twice now something so I think maybe I should qualify what I meant...

A physical quirk is an observable habitual behavior. A personal quirk is something about how the character thinks.

For example:
  • Having a fanatical need to remain clean and neat is personal.
  • Constantly checking the seams of your stockings to see if they're straight is physical.
Other physical quirks:

• Twirling hair
  • Constantly tucking hair behind your ear(s)
  • Always chewing gum/toothpicks
  • Incessantly cracking knuckles
  • Biting fingernails when stressed
  • Always humming subconciously according to mood (I'm personally guilty of this, to the point of the threat of bodily violence from co-workers)
  • Raising an eyebrow at any interesting or "fascinating" detail or comment
  • Snorting when you laugh
  • Limping slightly (not enough to penalize you on the Crunchy BitsTM)
  • Constantly correcting other people's diction or vocabulary
  • Having to pace in order to think
  • Having to talk with your hands
Some other personal quirks:

• Needing to be in control, socially
  • Needing to be clean and / or neat
  • Constantly organizing things that aren't yours (stacking magazines at the doctor's office)
  • Having to have similar items identical (I can't use one generic clip and two factory ones!)
  • Being uncomfortable in the dark (withoug being a Phobia, like always leaving that ONE light on)
  • Being uncomfortable any time you can't feel moving air
  • Being anxious any time you don't have [fill in the blank] with / on you.
I just wanted to throw some examples out to help people tell the difference on those two questions.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012