Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking Seattle runners…
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Ol' Scratch
Pending approval or any other faux pas on my part, I believe I'm all but finished with my character submission, too. The only thing left to do is describe my two contacts in detail, which I'll do as soon as things settle down later today.
Karoline
Oh? Is that another super sweet site based character sheet? Why I think it is!

Edit: Some parts still under construction obviously.
ravensoracle
Sorry guys but I think I am going to back out of this game. I have been trying for the last several days to give my character a good personallity and background and am just finding it difficult to get into his head. I like the concept for him but the fluff for the guy is eluding me. GOod luck and I will be reading everything. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Embers
Ouch, we're going to miss you.
Embers
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Oct 24 2009, 08:07 PM) *

• Screen Name _____ / Character Name / Gender / Race / Main Role / Special / Secondary Role
  • DigitalOYABUN _ / Junkyard______ / Male / Dwarf _ / Scrounger ____ / Mundane / Build & Repair
  • Karoline _______ / Tempest_______ / Female / Human / Close Combat / Mystic Adept / Infiltration
  • BlueMax ________ / Orb __________ / Male / Troll _ / B & E ________ / Technomancer / Driver
  • Pbangarth ______ / Stardust _____ / Male / Human _ / Defense Magic / Magician / Healing-Repair Magic
  • JoelHalpern ____ / Mach__________ / Male / Troll _ / Knife Fighter / Adept / Heavy Weapons
  • MilkDucks ______ / Tasunke Luta__ / Male___ / Ork _ / Face _________ / Mundane / Infiltration and Fire Support
  • Adamu __________ / Al Guthrie ___ / Male / Human __ / Generalist ___ / Mundane / ______
  • Marwynn ________ / ______________ / ______ / Human / Rigger ______ / Magician / ______
  • ravensoracle __ / ______________ / ______ / ______ / Infiltration / Mundane / Support
  • Embers _________ / Jordan Oakleaf / Female / Elf __ / Combat _______ / Adept / Stealth
  • Dr. Funkenstein / Magnus MacManus / Male / Dwarf __ / Conjurer_______ / Magician / Investigation________
Karoline
Can put down Lash for my character's name when you get a chance. That or Tempest with all the four letter names we have going around.

We're slowly losing people to attrition. Still, 9 people is enough to split into two groups.
Ol' Scratch
I think my character would be better described as Main Role: Conjurer, Special: Magician, Secondary Role: Investigation.
milk ducks
    Screen name_/ Character name_/ Street name_____/ Gender/ Special__/ Primary role_/ Secondary role
    milk ducks___ / Tasunke Luta____/ Dances-with-Dakka_/ Male___/ Mundane_/ Face________/ Infiltration and Fire Support

-milk.
BlueMax
Needs more Dakka, and make it more choppy too.

Lovin it,
BlueMax
Kerenshara
Well, I am dissapointed to see anybody go (we also lost DigitalOYABUN), but we have a "spare" possibly in the wings and if not, I can make it go. In any event, I am still hoping to start the very beginning of this week coming. I will try to get the list updated this evening.
Karoline
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Nov 6 2009, 04:06 PM) *
Well, I am dissapointed to see anybody go (we also lost DigitalOYABUN), but we have a "spare" possibly in the wings and if not, I can make it go. In any event, I am still hoping to start the very beginning of this week coming. I will try to get the list updated this evening.

Sounds good to me. Have all my tests out of the way except for one, so I should be able to be a bit more active on the boards next week (Though I have alot of catching up to do in some of my other threads. So hard to keep up with proper IC and OOC threads in class, need a clearer mindset for that)
Ol' Scratch
I'm itching to get started. My character really grew on me as I worked on him. I think he'll be a refreshing type of character for me. I usually play more extroverted and charismatic types.
Marwynn
Screen name_/ Character name_/ Street name_____/ Gender/ Special__/ Primary role_/ Secondary role
Marwynn_/ Moses "Moe" Kennedy_/ Jigger_____/ Male/ Builder/Support__/ Magician (Spellslinger)_/ Rigger (Wheelman with Assorted Drones)

Transport-wise I have a slightly modified GMC Bulldog Step-Van, with two Drone (Small) racks in there. Couldn't afford the Sedan I wanted, even with the Used discount on the base vehicle it's still 30k.

Spells are of a support nature, I have a thread in the main forum asking for ideas for it. Drones are Doberman, LEBD-1, Modified GMC Chariot, MCT Fly-Spy with assorted upgrades.

He's smart and he knows it. He's special, and he knows it. But he's living in a former factory with some other semi-squatters in the Barrens because he wants to help.

Very conflicting character, I'm looking forward to interacting with you all. But it has been busy and the sheet's done. Just need it pretty.
Trench
Any open spots? And what would the party need?
Karoline
I think there are slots open, and it looks to me like we are lacking in the hacker. Oh, no, we have a TM, so I guess that is covered. Really everything seems fairly well covered, especial stealth and B&E type stuff.

Perhaps we could use more heavy combatant types. I'm not sure how many gun skills we have running around.
Kerenshara
Slots are open, but I'm trying to get things running very soon. What's on your mind?

Generic_PC was looking to join too...
Generic_PC
First Blush, I'm looking at a pretty classic Street Sam. High guns, High Blades, Lots of cyber...

I haven't read through the thread, but I'll take Karoline at her word (his? I dunno. No offense.)
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Nov 8 2009, 01:39 PM) *
Slots are open

Oh my. That's a terribly inappropriate thing to say.

But yeah, a big combat monster would be welcome, I think. All the niche areas are covered, but that one seemed to have slipped by somehow.
Generic_PC
I'm building an Ogre combat monster. Hopefully, that'll work well. I was looking at Heavy Weapons, Unarmed Combat, and less humanity than the borg. Maybe throw some tiny amounts of stealth, dodge and perception, but ya...
Kerenshara
I updated Post #29 with what we currently have. If you see errors, let me know.

Embers
We do have two heavily combat focused characters, a pair of adepts, who seem to be doing what you are looking at:

Mach - Phsyad. Troll
Thrown(Knives) 6, Blades(Knives) 4, Heavy Weapons 4, Perception 4, Athletics 2 (Gymastics 4), Unarmed 2

Jordan - Phsyad. Elf
Firearms 4, Blades(Swords) 2, Perception 3 (+1.75pp of Improved Senses), Athletics 4(+2 gymnastics, +3 synthacardium), Stealth 4(+2 infiltration), Unarmed 3

That said, do what you like. This will at least let you see what skills the existing combatants are bringing to the table.
Generic_PC
Hmm... Well, I do need to find a niche. I understand it's hard with the 8 we have currently, but whatever. I'll also bring the heavy cyberware to the front. We'll see how that turns out.
Kerenshara
Consider this: you will probably be starting as two separate teams...

Not that you heard that to me.
Generic_PC
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Nov 8 2009, 02:54 PM) *
Consider this: you will probably be starting as two separate teams...

Not that you heard that to me.

to me or from me?

I'll keep that in mind. How would someone go about identifying cyberware when they light up a MAD scanner (or a cyberware scanner...) Would wired reflexes show up as a mass of wires? Could they be mistaken for skillwires? Similarly, With a Move-by-Wire system, could you pass it off as a much less illegal piece of 'ware?
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Generic_PC @ Nov 8 2009, 05:09 PM) *
to me or from me?

I'll keep that in mind. How would someone go about identifying cyberware when they light up a MAD scanner (or a cyberware scanner...) Would wired reflexes show up as a mass of wires? Could they be mistaken for skillwires? Similarly, With a Move-by-Wire system, could you pass it off as a much less illegal piece of 'ware?

The third level is the only one that's technically "Illegal". I WILL tell you that you should expect some... side effects of Move-By-Wire systems that aren't at least Alphaware.

Skillwires are mostly concerned with movement commands whereas Wired Reflexes are centered around two-way neurotransmission speed boosts. The sensors should be able to tell with any kind of margin of success.
Embers
Skillwires are too expensive anymore 10,000 per rating point of Active Skill? Ugh. Its 30,000-40,000 just for a useful level of a single skill. You'd be better of spending the 16 karma on the actual skills themselves. Although I guess you could try and buy pirated skillsofts if Kerenshara was being really nice.
Generic_PC
I wasn't planning on getting Move-by-Wire. I promise. In SR3, it was basically a ticket to the grave. I'm still prejudiced against it, even now.

A better example: Would someone be able to identify a Retinal Duplicator (which is forbidden) from a Smartlink (which is restricted) from a Flare compensator? (which is legal)
Ol' Scratch
Not from a casual examination, and even when that's not the case a fake license/SIN should take care of it in most cases. One hit from a scanner just gives the general location and type of implant. It requires multiple hits to get the specific function, grade, and stuff like that. How many hits is dependent upon the GM. Oddly enough, the more implants you have, the more hits a scanner will get. So, apparently, rather than confusing a scanner by having too much information showing up, it has an easier time of determining exactly what kind of implants you have. As opposed to a guy with a single datajack. He'll get an average of one less hit (which, again, determines not only success but degree of success) than a cyberfreak will.

</3 simplistic rules.

All that said, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you plan on being a cyberfetishist or someone who gets arrested a lot (as opposed to someone who gets away more often than caught). It shouldn't be an issue most of the time.
Kerenshara
More like more likely of setting the bloody thing off in the first place.

Now, once you've gotten your hits, you're rolling against the individual pieces.

Nanocyberware is excluded from that "grouping" per Augmentation.

Each piece is checked by grade, but the initial "ping" is by the least piece of 'ware. So if you have all Delta' and one piece of Basicware, the ping is off the single piece. Now, mind you, to detect the Deltaware, you still have to hit each one. (It's just the one die roll though.)

So threshold 1 = BasicWare incl. function (the things almost broadcast it).
Alphaware requires a second hit.
Betaware requires a third hit.
Deltaware requires five hits.

Treat NanoCyberware as one grade higher.

You want to know the function of those DeltaWare Retinal Adjusters? Call that one seven (7) hits.

That help?
Generic_PC
A little. I was just looking for clarifictaion, since the books I have access to don't make it easy to find..

Is the cap for resources still 250000?
Kerenshara
For the initial 750 Karma? Yes.

For the extra 50 Karma, 1 point of Karma = 2,500 Nuyen..
Kerenshara
As a note, I updated the character listing info and moved it all to the #1 post in the thread. Tell me if it's inacurate or incomplete.
Karoline
Looks good to me. Don't you love how badly SR groups always break the <1% of population is awakened? Granted that is partially because you basically need at least one and most groups are slightly under 100 members wink.gif

Still... go Team Magi biggrin.gif
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 9 2009, 06:31 AM) *
Looks good to me. Don't you love how badly SR groups always break the <1% of population is awakened? Granted that is partially because you basically need at least one and most groups are slightly under 100 members wink.gif

I can't think of ANY way to use that to my (and the story's) advantage. Nope. Not a one.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 9 2009, 05:31 AM) *

Technically that number is purely a global percentage. Magicians will always have a significantly higher percentage in any area that involves heavy cash flow, including the shadows. As opposed to occupations with low income or prestige associated with them, such as sanitation workers or movie theater attendants. Considering that running the shadows is one of the few high prestige, high income jobs that also caters to either criminals or the SINless and where personal freedom is about as high as it can get, it really isn't a shock at all that the percentage of magicians is that skewed. The same logic applies to metahuman numbers, too.
Karoline
QUOTE (Dr. Funkenstein @ Nov 9 2009, 10:35 AM) *
Considering that running the shadows is one of the few high prestige

I never realized being a shadowrunner was considered prestigious.

I want small children following me around going "Oh gee, are you really a runner? Can I have your autograph? Yes, I know I've already gotten 9, but this will make an even 10. Yeay! Maybe I should go for a round dozen..." wink.gif

Not really, that would make the whole stealth assassin gig very hard, though they would make excellent shields and alibis....
Ol' Scratch
Of course it's prestigious. That's why they make tons of sims and trideo shows about how awesome the life of a shadowrunner is, whether it's accurate or not. Just like they do about criminals today. Pulp Fiction, Heat, Snatch, Reservoir Dogs, etc. Add to that the Robin Hood vibe they get from those same media outlets and, well, hopefully you get what I mean. Hell, there's entire lines of cyberware implants out there named after specific runners, such as Kid Stealth Legs.

Oh, and prestige does not necessarily equate to fame. All you have to do to keep that in check is burn Street Cred to kill your Notoriety, which keeps your Public Awareness down (silly as those rules are).
BlueMax
Its prestigious in the Fluff presented for SR4 and SR4A. However, if a GM wants to run more SR2/SR1 style, the general populace may not know the term "Shadowrunner" but they would certainly know the profile

Skilled, takes on dangerous work for big payouts, the better ones blow their cash on high living knowing that life is short.

But all that aside, I am still looking for a Mentor for Orb. Preferably a mage or someone with a skill aptitude.

BlueMax
Karoline
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Nov 9 2009, 11:55 AM) *
But all that aside, I am still looking for a Mentor for Orb. Preferably a mage or someone with a skill aptitude.

Your first post about that was very confusing (I'd meant to comment but got distracted). Not sure that Tempest would make the greatest of mentors... at least not in what Orb would be interested in learning wink.gif
BlueMax
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 9 2009, 09:00 AM) *
Your first post about that was very confusing (I'd meant to comment but got distracted). Not sure that Tempest would make the greatest of mentors... at least not in what Orb would be interested in learning wink.gif

Orb wants to learn about what you would call "reality". Orb spends only what time is required out of Hot VR. From Orb's Data Searches, the Awakened have amazing powers.

Also, I am naturally cryptic via internal reference. I know this and apologize. Further, I offer to happily reword statements over and over to make things clearer if it will help.

BlueMax

Embers
Jordan is awakened, but she isn't a magician, and probably wouldn't make a very good teacher. I am still a bit clueless as to what you are actually looking for in a Mentor.
Ol' Scratch
Magnus could probably take that role eventually, but it would have to be something that comes up naturally in-game. He's a pretty down-to-earth kind of character who's been around the block a few times. And while technomancers (and to a somehwat lesser degree, hackers) kind of freak him out a little, he's still pretty sympathetic towards anyone who's having a rough time adjusting to the world. I doubt if he'd respond well to someone who was too clingy, though, especially to the point of being a liability on a job.
Karoline
Tempest certainly could teach Orb, but it would be an... interesting arrangement to say the least.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Embers @ Nov 9 2009, 09:15 AM) *
Jordan is awakened, but she isn't a magician, and probably wouldn't make a very good teacher. I am still a bit clueless as to what you are actually looking for in a Mentor.

Clueless is almost the word to describe Orb but still off about thirty degrees.

Orb is very quest/mission oriented. While on a run he will happily approach his tasks he has no idea how to handle offtime outside of watching Urban Brawl or logging into a MMO, or three. When Orb was shown his unique gift, it quickly became a way for him to escape his pains. Why would he want to deal with a world where he loses his family when he can pick his family in an MMO? Knowing he has an issue, Orb desires to make a better life for himself. From his POV, that means being part of the strongest Team/Guild/party possible and he is new to the Shadows. Anyone whose character has been to the school of hard knocks would have the wisdom to prevent Orb from pigeon holing himself or worse, making a deal with a Dragon.

The short answer is that he has skills for his tasks, comes alive when he has a goal but without guidance he just melds into the VR. Its not like he will miss orders, talk or idle conversation, he has you right here in the upper left corner chat window....

Offtime when he cannot slump:
"Do I just sit in town?"
"Is there a fishing skill in this game?"
"The healing in this game sucks. Who wants to sit in character for days and do nothing? That's bad design, no fun"

BlueMax
Kerenshara
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Nov 9 2009, 12:39 PM) *
"Do I just sit in town?"
"The healing in this game sucks. Who wants to sit in character for days and do nothing? That's bad design, no fun"

OK, THAT's just too damned funny... especially having played quite a few MMORPGs myself.
Karoline
QUOTE (BlueMax @ Nov 9 2009, 12:39 PM) *
"Do I just sit in town?"

And don't forget how long it takes to raise your stats! You have to do soooo many reps at that 'gym' place to raise your Strength stat. And don't even get me started on what you have to go through to raise your Charisma wink.gif

Character Creation sucks too, you don't get to pick your background or anything!

Just be thankful you don't have to play the 'job' minigame nyahnyah.gif
BlueMax
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 9 2009, 02:14 PM) *
And don't forget how long it takes to raise your stats! You have to do soooo many reps at that 'gym' place to raise your Strength stat. And don't even get me started on what you have to go through to raise your Charisma wink.gif

Character Creation sucks too, you don't get to pick your background or anything!

That's where your wrong. After the newbie area, I was sent into the NeoNet shard (I guess all "Streetpunk" characters get put places, must be part of the class) . I had to punch into a security node 20 hours a day. It wasn't all bad though. Hours of that was spent training up my team and learning the local blocks for brawl. They even paid me to spend time training for other aspects of the MMO, self-defense and physical prowess. But I got tired of that minigame and left to do these "Missions". My team and I get to brawl on a slew of blocks on the same night. Brawl , beer and babes, life is whiz chummer
Kerenshara
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 9 2009, 05:14 PM) *

You...

are one sick duck.

*keeps right on laughing*
Karoline
QUOTE (Kerenshara @ Nov 9 2009, 05:38 PM) *
You...

are one sick duck.

*keeps right on laughing*

You haven't read my questionnaire yet have you? wink.gif

At least you can get plenty of items that give you bonuses to stats, like muscle toner. No level requirements either, but some require alot of faction grinding to get access to them. biggrin.gif

I can see Orb getting smacked by Tempest soooo quickly.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 9 2009, 04:30 PM) *
You haven't read my questionnaire yet have you? wink.gif

At least you can get plenty of items that give you bonuses to stats, like muscle toner. No level requirements either, but some require alot of faction grinding to get access to them. biggrin.gif

I can see Orb getting smacked by Tempest soooo quickly.

"As much as I like that kinda work with a broad, lets keep it professional. I don't want to get distracted. BTW good form, that may even bruise"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012