Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Caracas: Hole in the Heart
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Rastus
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Aug 16 2010, 09:06 PM) *
I quoted this little bit by Rastus, something he wrote back when we first got rolling.

I hope I have lived up to your lofty standards there, pal. wink.gif

Getting close to my standards. Getting close. I mean, these guys are (thankfully)lacking magical and drone support, but then again these dudes were probably expecting an easy hit-and-run, plus they're being limited by the fact that they gotta keep subtle when moving from Point A to Point B.

Once the invasion comes and they can finally drop the sneaky bit and call on the Aztlaner army for tanks and chopper support? Then we are in for a tough time, no doubt about it. Remember how Nepal was in Uncharted 2? Yeah. I'm staying on the ground level, the rest of you can take to the rooftops and get blown away by gunships.
Mister Juan
Agility 5 + Reaction 5: 10
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2652432/
Rolls: 5,1,5,4,1,4,2,2,6,5 : 4 hits

Invisible Castle is starting to show me some luuuvvv! I like it!
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Rastus @ Aug 16 2010, 10:12 PM) *
Getting close to my standards. Getting close. I mean, these guys are (thankfully)lacking magical and drone support, but then again these dudes were probably expecting an easy hit-and-run, plus they're being limited by the fact that they gotta keep subtle when moving from Point A to Point B.

Once the invasion comes and they can finally drop the sneaky bit and call on the Aztlaner army for tanks and chopper support? Then we are in for a tough time, no doubt about it.

It's just a wild idea like this but... COULD YOU STOP GIVING HIM IDEAS?! wobble.gif
Abschalten
@Mister Juan
I had set the threshold at 3 to stop him. You pegged it at 4. You can make the post where you successfully stop Sam from running out and dying. The threshold was so high because you were a bit behind him and lagging behind a few steps, so you had to rush foward and close the distance.
Rystefn
OK, I have a few questions about the situation as it stands:

1) Am I directly behind them, off to the side, or what?
2) Am I clinging to edge by my fingertips, or am I in a stable position, physically?
3) We didn't specify in the IC thread, but I like to think from the OOC one that it was clear that the intent was to claim the assault rifle and have Chaske hack/debug/generally make it safe. Is it cool to say we did that, and how much leeway do we have in declaring where exactly it is at this moment?

Yes, part of the point is I'm wondering how plausible/dangerous it would be to suppress those guys. Also because I realized nothing was said IC, and it's better to get all that cleared up earlier rather than later. If I pull a surprise "remember that assault rifle from the first night?" later on, I want to be able to back it up.

Once again, I find myself thinking how nie it would be to have some grenades. This is more or less exactly the sort of situation where they are most useful.
Rastus
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 16 2010, 09:14 PM) *
It's just a wild idea like this but... COULD YOU STOP GIVING HIM IDEAS?! wobble.gif

Oh relax. Abs isn't likely to hit us with anything that's guaranteed TPK. Besides, we're doing great so far. Nobody's even got shot yet! And if Abs does throw tanks and gunship copters at us, we could always just steal them and use them to fight back. Just imagine, our own Aztech main battle tank to use and abuse!
Abschalten
QUOTE (Rystefn @ Aug 16 2010, 10:18 PM) *
OK, I have a few questions about the situation as it stands:

1) Am I directly behind them, off to the side, or what?

A little of both. Since the sniper with the big rifle has moved away from the edge of the building, as to not get chewed up by Smiley, he's effectively put himself forward far enough to not see you. The other guys are down a ways and focusing their attentions on the doors.

2) Am I clinging to edge by my fingertips, or am I in a stable position, physically?

You've pulled yourself up so that you are doubled over the edge of the building. You aren't sliding off the edge. You could easily throw a leg over or push yourself up now. Forgot to mention this in the IC thread, but the roof is covered with that roofing gravel. If you step on it you'll make crunching noises, unless you have something like Traceless Walk (which you don't) or do really good on an Infiltration test.

3) We didn't specify in the IC thread, but I like to think from the OOC one that it was clear that the intent was to claim the assault rifle and have Chaske hack/debug/generally make it safe. Is it cool to say we did that, and how much leeway do we have in declaring where exactly it is at this moment?

Sure, rifle is clean. Go nuts. wobble.gif

Yes, part of the point is I'm wondering how plausible/dangerous it would be to suppress those guys.

Never know until you try!!
Mister Juan
-How much room is there on each side of the door, on "our" side of it?
-What is the door made of?
-What are the walls made of?
Abschalten
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 16 2010, 10:29 PM) *
-How much room is there on each side of the door, on "our" side of it?
-What is the door made of?
-What are the walls made of?

Lots of room all around the doors. I'm not sure if it was clear, but there are two roof access doors, one on each end of the building, since there are two stairwells. There's one guy watching each of them, as if they didn't know which one you were going to show up at, if not both.

Door's made of synthwood. Kinda shitty. Sam's foot would've made quick work of it.

The walls are actually made of brick.
Mister Juan
I am seriously in love with the Radar cyberware nyahnyah.gif It almost feels like I'm cheating.
Abschalten
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 16 2010, 10:34 PM) *
I am seriously in love with the Radar cyberware nyahnyah.gif It almost feels like I'm cheating.

Isn't it wonderful? When I make street sams I usually try to take it. It's wonderful. There's no reason to take it at any rating except for the maximum. It's like having wallhacks on.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Aug 16 2010, 09:35 PM) *
Isn't it wonderful? When I make street sams I usually try to take it. It's wonderful. There's no reason to take it at any rating except for the maximum. It's like having wallhacks on.

I'll wait for CombatMage to reply before posting something.
Mister Juan
-Does the door swings outwards or inwards?
Rastus
Radar is indeed godly... Unless your opponents are smart enough to pack a jammer.
Abschalten
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 16 2010, 09:37 PM) *
-Does the door swings outwards or inwards?

Outwards.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Aug 16 2010, 09:38 PM) *
Outwards.

I take it the guy on the other side of the door isn't close enough to have the door swing straight into his face? wink.gif
Abschalten
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 16 2010, 10:49 PM) *
I take it the guy on the other side of the door isn't close enough to have the door swing straight into his face? wink.gif

....Actually the way I envisioned it... yes he is...

Sucks to be him.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Aug 16 2010, 09:51 PM) *
....Actually the way I envisioned it... yes he is...

Sucks to be him.

*Plan taking form in head*
Rystefn
Number one: I loves me some radar, and if I could have justified it to myself, El Mono would have it as well.

QUOTE (Abschalten @ Aug 17 2010, 02:22 AM) *
You've pulled yourself up so that you are doubled over the edge of the building. You aren't sliding off the edge. You could easily throw a leg over or push yourself up now. Forgot to mention this in the IC thread, but the roof is covered with that roofing gravel. If you step on it you'll make crunching noises, unless you have something like Traceless Walk (which you don't) or do really good on an Infiltration test.

Huh... it just so happens I have a 6 in Infiltration with a specialization in Urban, and a 6 in the related Attribute... combined with their -2 for being distracted, I actually like my odds.

I'm thinking it might be just about time to do a pincer attack on the ambushers... If I was more skilled with the weapon, I might try to just shoot them with three short bursts, but I'm not, so suppression it is. If I knew there were potential friendlies behind the door, I might try to see if I could avoid that specific area, but I don't so good luck. The bricks should stop bullets sufficiently. I hope you don't catch any strays through the door, though.

Infiltration 6 + Agility 6 + Urban Specialization 2 = 14 dice
14d6.hits(5) → [5,6,1,2,6,3,1,2,6,2,5,3,3,6] = (6)
6 hits. This luck holds up, and I'll be a superhero.

Suppressive Fire
Agility 6 + Automatics 1 + Assault Rifles Specialization 2 + Smartlink 2 = 11 dice
11d6.hits(5) → [4,1,5,4,5,1,4,3,2,2,5] = (3)
OK, not so much on that one. Can I say that if the Infiltration roll was successful I'll let that stand and if not, I'll use Edge? If not, I'll use Edge anyway. Better to be sure.

Rerolling failures:
[1,1,4,3,5,6,1,2] = (2)

Total of five hits that way. I feel a lot better about that. Hope you guys inside can find the courage to run towards the shooting and not away, because I think I'm going to need help with these guys. Three on one makes for unpleasant odds, even with a few of them bleeding.
Doc Chase
I want to do something- Sonora wants to do something.

I just don't know what. nyahnyah.gif
Rastus
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 16 2010, 11:14 PM) *
I want to do something- Sonora wants to do something.

I just don't know what. nyahnyah.gif

Haven't had much snarky observations of the situation recently, just drama. Give that shot. Alternatively, shoot Chaske and Stephen. Maybe that'll get their asses in gear.

Comeon you two, El Mono just climbed a building all stealthy-like and then layed down suppressive fire. What have you guys done to contribute? nyahnyah.gif
Doc Chase
Eh. Normally I'd totally roll with that, but it's been about 120 seconds since she had a freak-out from the close call with the AMR and subsequent RPG. I don't think she's going to rubber-band back that quickly. nyahnyah.gif
Combat Mage
Radar is really nice. I think I need to get one some time in the future. But with 0.14 essence remaining it'll have to be an external one I'm afraid.

On a related note: Now would be a good opportunity to start punching through walls and grabbing people.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Combat Mage @ Aug 17 2010, 09:32 AM) *
On a related note: Now would be a good opportunity to start punching through walls and grabbing people.

Could you please stop reading my mind? smile.gif
Doc Chase
Screw that, head to the apartment under them and shoot up.
Mister Juan
@Abs
Do you allow cyberlibs to be redlined? (augmentation p44)
Mister Juan
I actually did the math, and considering the wall is made of brick (which has a structural rating of 11) Dexter would have to punch for a net DV of 11. Counting the arm is 9, and redlining it at maximum (which would be another 9) that would be a strength of 18, for a total DV of 9. It would require him at least 2 net hits to get through the wall in 1 punch. That is, if the wall, which also has 12 armor, doesn't roll too well.

With only 1 edge remaining, I'm not sure he can actually do it frown.gif
Combat Mage
It's worth a try smile.gif

Sam has a base DV of 8 with his Cyberspurs and throws 17 Dice for an attack. With edge I could maybe stab one through the wall while you grab the other through the wall, assuming you can send the guys locations to me per wireless.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Combat Mage @ Aug 17 2010, 12:48 PM) *
It's worth a try smile.gif

Sam has a base DV of 8 with his Cyberspurs and throws 17 Dice for an attack. With edge I could maybe stab one through the wall while you grab the other through the wall, assuming you can send the guys locations to me per wireless.

Actually, Abs reexplained where the guys were. He said there was two doors leading to the roof, so there's actually one guy next to each door. And, altought the move would seem VERY badass, the fact we've got more of a change to miss than to succeed, I we'd better keep it for later wink.gif Like when the walls are thinner nyahnyah.gif I mean, we are talking about a brick wall here. You have to beat the armor AND the structure to make a hole.

I say we just swing the door open REAL hard, smash it into the guy and shoot the 2 others.
Combat Mage
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 17 2010, 08:34 PM) *
I say we just swing the door open REAL hard, smash it into the guy and shoot the 2 others.

Sounds like a plan to me.
Mister Juan
I'll make an IC post when I get home.

@Abs
Do you allow players to cook their grenades before throwing them? I know it's not in the book.... just asking.
Rystefn
Yeah, interior walls, even sturdy ones, are rarely brick. Probably better to hold off. Hell, from a realism standpoint (which doesn't actually apply, because this is a fantasy/cyberpunk game), it wouldn't matter how strong the arm was, if you didn't anchor it to a cybertorso or something like that, you'd probably tear your cyberarm out of socket before you punched through the wall. Hell, as a human or elf, you might not have the mass to do it. Might just rocket yourself across the room instead. Foot anchors would help with that.

However, this being a game, Rule of Cool is in full effect, I hope. If the dice come through, I'd allow it. But yeah, probably better to wait until it's something a bit less angry than a brick wall.
Abschalten
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 17 2010, 02:22 PM) *
I'll make an IC post when I get home.

@Abs
Do you allow players to cook their grenades before throwing them? I know it's not in the book.... just asking.

Throwing Weapons, I'll give it a -4 (increases the chances of glitching) for doing something dangerous and because you know you have a live grenade in your hands. The -4 can be negated with something like a Math SPU or something that lets you keep accurate track of time, etc.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Abschalten @ Aug 17 2010, 02:31 PM) *
Throwing Weapons, I'll give it a -4 (increases the chances of glitching) for doing something dangerous and because you know you have a live grenade in your hands. The -4 can be negated with something like a Math SPU or something that lets you keep accurate track of time, etc.

Ish...........
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 17 2010, 07:43 PM) *
Ish...........

I...may have a bastardized alternative if Sonora can a: See Mono, b: get his ear, c: contact Sam and Dexter, and d: coordinate a suppression so they can't move away from the grenade you toss out.

Of course, I'd also need subscription to your eyecams so I can see all this, then I could realize there's a second door, make the Logic leap of where they'd go next and...

...have the MMG set up in an ambush position when the doorway to the alley busts open and they try to run out, and Coatl on the other end with a machete to cut down any survivors. We can drag what's left into the street to let the people of Caracas exact their revenge (after taking the weaponry and armor, of course) and make our escape in the confusion.

Plus they'll destroy the evidence for us so the cops can't trace us!
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Aug 17 2010, 03:49 PM) *
I...may have a bastardized alternative if Sonora can a: See Mono, b: get his ear, c: contact Sam and Dexter, and d: coordinate a suppression so they can't move away from the grenade you toss out.

Of course, I'd also need subscription to your eyecams so I can see all this, then I could realize there's a second door, make the Logic leap of where they'd go next and...

...have the MMG set up in an ambush position when the doorway to the alley busts open and they try to run out, and Coatl on the other end with a machete to cut down any survivors. We can drag what's left into the street to let the people of Caracas exact their revenge (after taking the weaponry and armor, of course) and make our escape in the confusion.

Plus they'll destroy the evidence for us so the cops can't trace us!

That WOULD be nice, but it's sort of out of reach for now wink.gif
So, CombatMage, you feeling lucky? wink.gif
Abschalten
If you guys are gonna bust out there, I need Reaction+Intuition (Surprise) tests!
Combat Mage
No time for pussies! Bring on the live grenades! You can also hand me one, I can default on throwing weapons for 9 dice...or maybe better not. wink.gif

Anyway let's get cracking, I want that anti-material rifle. I'll pet it and call it Elena.biggrin.gif
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Combat Mage @ Aug 17 2010, 03:23 PM) *
No time for pussies! Bring on the live grenades! You can also hand me one, I can default on throwing weapons for 9 dice...or maybe better not. wink.gif

Anyway let's get cracking, I want that anti-material rifle. I'll pet it and call it Elena. biggrin.gif

Actually, Dexter will toss a flashbang wink.gif
IC incoming.
Mister Juan
Rolls: 6,5,2,2,6,4,3,2 : 3 hits
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2653288/

I just hope I’m not wasting all my good rolls nyahnyah.gif

Dexter will cook his flashbang a few seconds before throwing it, so it explodes just as they are coming out the door. He’ll open the door with as much force as he can, with the intent of knocking out, or at least stunning, the guy standing next to it.

He’ll be aiming the flashbang towards the two other gunman.
Combat Mage
Oh yeah the surprise roll:
12d6.hits(5) → [2,2,5,1,3,1,3,4,1,1,2,6] = (2)

Sigh...really Invisible Castle? Really? I don't wanna be surprised frown.gif

I'll edge it. (1/3 remaining)
10d6.hits(5) → [5,4,2,1,4,6,5,2,6,2] = (4)

That would be 6 hits. I'm kinda burning my edge fast here. :/

Can I delay my action for when Dexter opens the door?
Mister Juan
@Abs
Do you want anything for the door slamming in face move?
Rastus
QUOTE (Combat Mage @ Aug 17 2010, 03:23 PM) *

Anyway let's get cracking, I want that anti-material rifle. I'll pet it and call it Elena.biggrin.gif

I love how you think that we're going to let you have that rifle. You have the highest initiative, sling 20 dice for automatics, and have the combat monster quality. You are so far into the front-lines we'd need binoculars to see you. No sniper rifle or sniping for you. nyahnyah.gif Besides, the image of Sonora hauling around a giant rifle with ammo is kinda funny.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Rastus @ Aug 17 2010, 06:58 PM) *
I love how you think that we're going to let you have that rifle. You have the highest initiative, sling 20 dice for automatics, and have the combat monster quality. You are so far into the front-lines we'd need binoculars to see you. No sniper rifle or sniping for you. nyahnyah.gif Besides, the image of Sonora hauling around a giant rifle with ammo is kinda funny.

I saw we pawn it for hookers.
Rystefn
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 18 2010, 01:00 AM) *
I saw we pawn it for hookers.

Seconded.
Combat Mage
I can never have any shiny toys. frown.gif

Though I have to admit I like the hooker idea.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 17 2010, 08:00 PM) *
I say we pawn it for hookers.

What I typo that was....
Rystefn
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Aug 18 2010, 01:32 AM) *
What I typo that was....

Surely you meant "what a typo," right? nyahnyah.gif
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Rystefn @ Aug 17 2010, 09:01 PM) *
Surely you meant "what a typo," right? nyahnyah.gif

This is a clear sign I'm not getting enough sleep.

Me no speak the English anymore.
I go bed.
Abschalten
@Mister Juan, Rystefn, and Combat Mage
I'm going to make an update for the combat that incorporates everything you guys have done. But first, I want Dexter to open that door. The grenade is live and ticking. Sam is delaying until Dexter opens that door. Once they're out and committing to action then I'll update.

Mister Juan, you don't need to roll a test for crashing open that door.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012