Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shadowrun video game announced!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Trigger
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 5 2012, 02:40 AM) *
Oh god... i can't breathe ... where's the paper bag??

Oh no! And two of the 'play with Mike Mulvihill slots are already taken!!! Who can I kill in the next day to get that sort of scratch? (Also, anyone know if he's planning to run SR4? I don't play SR4.)

It is set in 2050, I don't think SR4, but there is no official word on what sort of rules they are going to be using.
Stahlseele
He/she/it was talking about the 10k pledge reward where they actually come to your town and play a pen and paper game of shadowrun with you.
I'd guess they'd run SR3 probably.
The Jopp
Well, 115 USD pledged. grinbig.gif

Jeesus - its only been up a few days and already 345 000 dollars?
Stahlseele
It went up yesterday and is now at 348k.
remmus
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 5 2012, 11:29 AM) *
It went up yesterday and is now at 348k.

and as of now 363000+ ^^

cant wait until there is blast off so they can open up paypal options ^^
The Jopp
QUOTE (remmus @ Apr 5 2012, 11:35 AM) *
and as of now 363000+ ^^

cant wait until there is blast off so they can open up paypal options ^^

Kickstarter only use Amazon AFAIK, havent found other payment options - on the other hand so have my funding been in the 115USD range so they hae things to send me afterwards.

Wasteland 2 had an initial budget of 900K and is now at 1,9+ million dollars, hopefully Shadowrun can get towards one million or more so we get one big blockbuster game. ^__^
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile...land-2?ref=live

Not to mention that 5% of their profits go straight back to kickstarter to fund other projects.
Thanee
Nice! That means it will be done for sure (those last 10% are just a matter of time now)! smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Bigity
Now I desperately want to fire up a SNES or Sega emulator.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Trigger @ Apr 5 2012, 01:16 AM) *
As soon as I can scrape together some money I am going for the $60 tier.

It's what I threw down. For me it's a game and a t-shirt (I'd pay $30 for each of those).
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 5 2012, 08:57 AM) *
Now I desperately want to fire up a SNES or Sega emulator.

Every now and then I fire up a Sega emulator, exclusively for the Genesis Shadowrun game.
Redjack
$388,587. Should break $400k by lunch at this rate.
Stahlseele
At 400k we get the game.
At 425k Mac gamers get it.
Probably stops at 424k ^^
JonathanC
We've already passed the 400k mark. I kicked in this morning, a few minutes before the goal was hit.

You're welcome. nyahnyah.gif
silva
Hey Bull, Im replicating a question from the RPGnet boards, that I think is pertinent..

QUOTE ("Megazver")
How is the game going to be structured? They make it sounds like you're basically going on tactical 'runs' on separate maps. Are there actually going to be towns to explore, with NPCs and dialogue and stuff?

Thanks.

remmus
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 5 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Kickstarter only use Amazon AFAIK, havent found other payment options - on the other hand so have my funding been in the 115USD range so they hae things to send me afterwards.

Wasteland 2 had an initial budget of 900K and is now at 1,9+ million dollars, hopefully Shadowrun can get towards one million or more so we get one big blockbuster game. ^__^
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile...land-2?ref=live

Not to mention that 5% of their profits go straight back to kickstarter to fund other projects.

true, but they could rig up a separate paypal and seam to plan to once 400 000 is reached.
Fyndhal
I kicked in. Here's hoping they survive the development process and get it out on time!
Dr.Rockso
400k in less than 2 full days. You'd swear fans have been waiting for this for awhile or something....
Stahlseele
And they are at 405k! O.o
JonathanC
QUOTE (silva @ Apr 5 2012, 07:56 AM) *
Hey Bull, Im replicating a question from the RPGnet boards, that I think is pertinent..

Thanks.

This isn't the question thread - you might want to repost this here instead to be sure that Bull sees it.
silva
Oops, thanks Jonathan.

BTW, what would you guys think if the game didnt have towns to explore the way we see in trad rpgs, like a little guy running around, etc..

Instead if you explored the towns through "static interactive screens" ? I mean, you could be in you home and see a static screen of it, with options to acess the matrix if you click your PC image, or go to sleep by clicking the bed, or calling a contact by clicking a phone; And you could travel to other locations, maybe clicking the door to outside and choosing a new location in a big Seattle map, and then it opens another static screen for that location (Bar, Chop shop, Restaurant, a Plaza, etc) with new interaction options.. And you could have people to talk in all those locations too, etc.

Would you like this ? I think this could be simpler to implement, while keeping "out of combat" substance.
Sengir
QUOTE (Fyndhal @ Apr 5 2012, 04:01 PM) *
I kicked in. Here's hoping they survive the development process and get it out on time!

Well, at least they have done a game before, and judging by the reviews it was not bad
Mirilion
QUOTE (silva @ Apr 5 2012, 04:19 PM) *
Oops, thanks Jonathan.

BTW, what would you guys think if the game didnt have towns to explore the way we see in trad rpgs, like a little guy running around, etc..

Instead if you explored the towns through "static interactive screens" ? I mean, you could be in you home and see a static screen of it, with options to acess the matrix if you click your PC image, or go to sleep by clicking the bed, or calling a contact by clicking a phone; And you could travel to other locations, maybe clicking the door to outside and choosing a new location in a big Seattle map, and then it opens another static screen for that location (Bar, Chop shop, Restaurant, a Plaza, etc) with new interaction options.. And you could have people to talk in all those locations too, etc.

Would you like this ? I think this could be simpler to implement, while keeping "out of combat" substance.

I actually prefer it that way. It always breaks suspension of disbelief when I see tiny city areas and empty, narrow "main" streets, where you can get to major locations by running for 10 seconds. It could mean much more detailed and rich mission areas, and you could make "complcations" areas that the characters appear in when the game (or GM) throw ambushes or scripted events at them.

Or you could make the city really awesome like in Deus Ex: HR, where the empty streets were silly but I didn't mind the rest. Still, unless you can come up with that kind of money for development I think your way is better.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Mirilion @ Apr 5 2012, 11:28 AM) *
I actually prefer it that way. It always breaks suspension of disbelief when I see tiny city areas and empty, narrow "main" streets, where you can get to major locations by running for 10 seconds. It could mean much more detailed and rich mission areas, and you could make "complcations" areas that the characters appear in when the game (or GM) throw ambushes or scripted events at them.

Or you could make the city really awesome like in Deus Ex: HR, where the empty streets were silly but I didn't mind the rest. Still, unless you can come up with that kind of money for development I think your way is better.

Especially given their intention to launch this on tablets, I would be utterly in love were they to do the city interface as a 2050's era PocketSec. All the relevant options, without all the running around.
Sengir
So with the 400k cleared, let's see whether PayPal or a working CC (don't get me started) comes first...

RE the city map, I guess such a map is far easier to do in 2D -- in a perspective like Skyrim a bigger map means more objects to render at the horizon (or cheap fog effects), whereas in the classic 2D RTS view there is only ever the need to render what is inside the player's screen.
Thanee
I hope they have made plans for the 2 million mark they will soon have reached... otherwise, it is time to think about it, guys! biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Tobias
So they reached the Mac goal, wonder when they'll update with everything.

Hopefully be good smile.gif
Stahlseele
Ok, so i am getting a german localization if this keeps up.
and then we may be getting a better level editor . .
CanRay
And Riggers, and possibly the 2007-Xbox game guy as a generic mook we can kill over and over again!
Jazz
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 5 2012, 02:54 AM) *
Paul: From what i can tell, they're aiming to capture the style and some of the gameplay of the SNES game.

*orgasm*

<3 that game
ShadowDragon8685
I wonder how much money will be needed for Riggers? They should put some milestones on this. smile.gif

Anyway, let's see. Some more math, this time, not spurious. I've refreshed the Kickstarter page at 3:32 PM, EST.

It's currently at $440,912. I'll break it down.
$15 x4,607 = $69,105
$30 x 2,418 = $72,540
$60 x 1,262 = $75,520
$100 x 1,228 = $122,800
$250 x 125 = $32,250
$500 x 20 = $10,000
$1,000 x 15 = $15,000
$2,500 x 5 = $12,500
$5,000 x 0 = $0
$7,500 x 0 = $0
$10,000 x 2 = $20,000

Well now! This has revealed some interesting facts.

Firstly, my tally of the sums involved is $404,715, assuming that everyone pledged the bare minimum. The total was $440,912, so there's $36,197 anomalously unaccounted for; people who decided to pledge above a reward bracket, but below the next one... Although at this point, we might as well stop saying 'reward' and start saying 'pre-order,' because with 27 days left and already overbudget, this thing is going to stampede so hard you may have to make another game to come up with a way to spend all your money. Or else turn it into a gorgeous, slickly polished piece of artwork.

(I, for one, would not mind if excess from this project went into getting Mechwarrior 3015 off the ground. Hey, there's an idea - the big publishers turned MW3015 down? Take it to Kickstarter! Two things this world needs more of is Shadowrun and BattleTech, in video game forms.)

Anyway, some interesting facts. The folks who pledged between $100 and $250 were by far the most productive. in terms of cash they raked in. That also seems to be the cut-off point, because it's less diminishing returns and more returns taking a swan-dive off the space needle. Everything after that point combined amounts to $89,750. Certainly not insignificant, in that you'd be underbudget without them, but by far the $15-249.99 crowd have been carrying this project.

So what does that mean, practically speaking? Well, for one thing, you guys are going to be making a lot of T-shirts and DocWagon cards.
Stahlseele
i would like another shadowrun game based on the fallout tactics engine better . .
aside from the matrix, everything else even some SR4 stuff is in there already . .
CanRay
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 5 2012, 02:46 PM) *
Firstly, my tally of the sums involved is $404,715, assuming that everyone pledged the bare minimum. The total was $440,912, so there's $36,197 anomalously unaccounted for; people who decided to pledge above a reward bracket, but below the next one... Although at this point, we might as well stop saying 'reward' and start saying 'pre-order,'...
International people (such as myself) have to kick in more in order to ensure they get their feelies.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 5 2012, 02:58 PM) *
International people (such as myself) have to kick in more in order to ensure they get their feelies.

Ah, that... Okay, yeah. I'd been thikning that would be tallied as a shipping and handling fee somehow, not lumped in with the main slug of dough.
silva
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 5 2012, 04:21 PM) *
And Riggers, and possibly the 2007-Xbox game guy as a generic mook we can kill over and over again!

uaehuaehuhueha great suggestion!
almost normal
I put in 15. I was on the fence, because all the bonuses till $100 seems chincy, but paying 85 dollars for a book and a docwagon card seemed to be a bit much.
remmus
yay paypal is up, so if you couldn't support via kickstart, then now is your chance ^^

edit: donated 30$ not mindblowing, but hey, they gonna need there coffee X3
JonathanC
QUOTE (almost normal @ Apr 5 2012, 12:25 PM) *
I put in 15. I was on the fence, because all the bonuses till $100 seems chincy, but paying 85 dollars for a book and a docwagon card seemed to be a bit much.

You forgot a bout the t-shirt. smile.gif
Redjack
And there does come a point in time where you are actually voting with your wallet to say to the suits running the big game development companies: You've missed the boat. THIS is what we want...

I wish we could do this with Farscape and Firefly and all the great SciFi that has dropped by the wayside in lieu of wrastling and Ghost Hunters and dren like that.
Draco18s
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 5 2012, 02:46 PM) *
so there's $36,197 anomalously unaccounted for

Don't forget, people don't HAVE to select a reward. On the the project I'm involved with we've got 10 backers, $120, that have selected no reward (one of those is a $50 pledge from Keith of AI War: Fleet Command fame).

...And another $58 is from someone who "changed their reward selection from the $58.00 reward to no reward." o..O
Stahlseele
Wish they'd tried this with the MW3015 game . .
almost normal
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 5 2012, 04:04 PM) *
And there does come a point in time where you are actually voting with your wallet to say to the suits running the big game development companies: You've missed the boat. THIS is what we want...

I wish we could do this with Farscape and Firefly and all the great SciFi that has dropped by the wayside in lieu of wrastling and Ghost Hunters and dren like that.

This whole thing is still wierd to me. You're investing in a company or idea, yet have no say in its progress or outcome. Some KSers are cool. Pay 15 bucks now and get a game that you'd pay 20-40 for on release. That's mutually beneficial. Pay 5 bucks for an episode of TV that you may or may not like, that you'd otherwise get for free? I'll pass, and so will the masses.
Redjack
I would say that, rather than having "no say", we are contributing toward a shared vision. In any shared vision, it will not come out exactly the way you expect. It may totally flop, but I'd say given the track record involved here, it will at least be better than some things I'd paid more and fell victim to slick marketing. Any new paradigm is going to feel weird, because it's new. And I expect you're right, it will not appeal to the average person. The fact that over 10,000 people have pledged over $468,000 in under 48 hours tells me that it not only has the potential to be an incredibly successful method of vetting an idea... but it has already proven itself as a valid paradigm.
Stahlseele
This is actually a far more efficient method of voting with your wallet than not buying games too . .
Sengir
QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 5 2012, 10:04 PM) *

Yep, exactly. And apart from a bit of spite, I also consider this kind of an insurance: Should this project crash an burn (who knows, maybe some extraplanar body snatchers set up shop in the HBS headquarters...), it has shown the appeal of this IP combined with these people

Oh, and this game totally needs the equivalent of the Cermak hive biggrin.gif
Mirilion
QUOTE (Sengir @ Apr 5 2012, 11:24 PM) *
Oh, and this game totally needs the equivalent of the Cermak hive biggrin.gif

Oh god please no insect spirits. I remember reading 2XS, and it was nice, but House of the Sun was one of the most horribly depressing books I have ever read. Plus the author was sick and died a few months after it got published if I remember correctly. Everything about insect spirits sucks badly.
ShadowDragon8685
I look at Kickstarter as a way to pre-order something before development has even begun in earnest. Most of the 'reward' tiers do grant you something, with the very minimum, in this case, being "A free digital copy of the game."

That's not nothing. This game might well retail at $30, $45, or even $60 on Steam when it first comes out, and that gets you a digital copy of the game. So if you know, for a stone-cold fact, that this is a product you're going to pay money for, and you only want the game and nothing but, you can cheap out and pitch in the $15. You get a hell of a pre-order discount (anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 off,) and the developers get your $15, unfiltered, up-front, to use to make the game, rather than getting a huge stack of cash from an evil investment publisher house who will start to swagger on in, start pulling all kinds of Executive Meddling - "Are those lesbians and gays?! In the product I financed with my money?! I don't think so!" - and putting on ridiculous deadlines - "I don't care if it doesn't run right on 60% of the hardware configurations out there and there's crippling showstopping bugs every ten minutes on the 40% it does run on, I want to cash in on the Christmas marketing rush, so you'd better have something to put in a box and I can put on store shelves by November, or you can try and finish this game from the unemployment line! Once their money's in my hand, they can't do anything about it, so why should I care about the reputation of your studio or how much hatred it generates?!"

And about TV Episodes or something, just imagine how much money would be thrown at Joss Whedon if he put up a Kickstarter saying "Firefly Season 2 - my way, my story, my air schedule. Yes, it's before the movie so Shepard Book and Wash are still going to be alive." He'd be buried under an avalanche of cash so deep you'd need an excavator to dig him out before shooting could commence, probably blow the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter out of the water.

Hell, even a one-off to gauge interest would probably get a stampede of nerds flinging cash at him - maybe the story of how Jayne pulled a second-story job on Boss Higgins and wound up becoming an accidental folk hero, or something.

That, however, would be a lot harder than producing a video game. If you can get a game made these days, it's pretty easy to go to Gabe Newell and say "I want to sell my game with you," and Gabe will say "Hop on the gravy train!" For one thing, he'd have to license his own setting to use it again, and FOX would probably try to stretch his ass over a barrel for it. For another, he'd need somewhere to air it, and even SyFy would probably want some kind of input on it if they gave him air time, even if they didn't have to spend any of their money on it.

He could always pull a Dr. Horrible and release it on the internet and by DVD, and sure, we'd buy it, but that wouldn't really capture everyone's attention as much, would it? We want to see Firefly back on TV! And even then, there's the problem that Firefly was a character-driven show, with an enormous main cast. I imagine that putting the band back together again would be a huge challenge, and we wouldn't brook anything less than the entire band (possibly the entire band less Wash and Book if it's set after the movie, but still...) No space busses or Other Darrens would be tolerated.

Even so... If only. If only...

(As an aside, why in the world is SyFy airing wrestling? What in the world convinced them that the people who want to watch Firefly and Sanctuary and Warehouse 13 and Stargate want to see enormous, physically fit dudes pound on each other in a wrestling ring? Was there some kind of incestuous corporate shuffling going on that resulted in SyFy having the rights and obligations to air it dumped in their laps?))
Demonseed Elite
I gladly put in my pledge. Yes, the pledge was more than I would normally spend on any video game, but this is Shadowrun. I trust the property in Jordan Weisman's hands and I'm excited about the game returning to its roots. And I love that Kickstarter has really provided an alternate avenue for game development funding, giving an opportunity to ideas that outside the common industry mold.
Bigity
Maybe they should kickstart a revised 3rd edition.

i kid i kid.

mostly
Stahlseele
a new rigger 3 revised would be a good start . .
CanRay
QUOTE (Bigity @ Apr 5 2012, 06:57 PM) *
Maybe they should kickstart a revised 3rd edition.

i kid i kid.

mostly
Shadowrun 2050 is underway. Not the 2060s, but it's a good era to play in, is it not?

I wanted to play then. cyber.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012