Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shadowrun video game announced!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
silva
As far as I understand Shadowrun Returns is set 2050ish. That means you have to take some locations of the list. Chicago doesn't become Bug City before 2055. Old Berlin is too crazy, can't be done. Nope. The new setting is much saner, but that's 20 years later. Neo Tokyo is just Tokyo, which admittedly would still make it Tokyo. But metahumans were totally disenfranchised back then to the point where such characters would have to have their own game. Well, of course if you get a little more handwavy with the canon or simply set a different time frame these problems could vanish.

I dont see any problem with what you described here. On the contrary, all locations sound more fun to play exactly because of the more "wacko" vibe.

If any of them were more realistic - and all looked like each other - whats the fun ?
Sengir
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Apr 6 2012, 08:56 PM) *
Hmm. I'm a little worried now given how focused they are on tablets....

They are (if I'm getting the concept right) building something akin to the classic top-down or isometric RPG/strategy games, like their already released Something Steam Pirates...that kind of design should work great of both tablets and PC.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Sengir @ Apr 7 2012, 11:21 AM) *
They are (if I'm getting the concept right) building something akin to the classic top-down or isometric RPG/strategy games, like their already released Something Steam Pirates...that kind of design should work great of both tablets and PC.

Yeah, that's the impression I get. I have Crimson Steam Pirates on the iPad and it's a great game. Very well designed and good looking; it gives me high hopes for Shadowrun Returns.
silva
Demonseed, do Steam Crimson Pirates have interesting gameplay aside from missions/battles ? How is its "rpg" side ?

By all we hear til now, this Shadowrun is looking more as a "Tactics" type of game with some RPG elements thrown in than the contrary.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (silva @ Apr 7 2012, 11:56 AM) *
Demonseed, do Steam Crimson Pirates have interesting gameplay aside from missions/battles ? How is its "rpg" side ?

By all we hear til now, this Shadowrun is looking more as a "Tactics" type of game with some RPG elements thrown in than the contrary.

Crimson Steam Pirates isn't really an RPG. I would definitely say it's more of a tactical game. Whether that means Shadowrun Returns will work the same way, I don't know. But from what little detail Harebrained Schemes has given so far, it does sound like Shadowrun Returns will have tactical gameplay with RPG elements (like character development, legwork, and building your team).

Which I'm totally okay with. A lot of 2D RPGs are tactics games and that doesn't make them worse games.
lokii
QUOTE (silva @ Apr 7 2012, 04:54 PM) *
I dont see any problem with what you described here. On the contrary, all locations sound more fun to play exactly because of the more "wacko" vibe.

If any of them were more realistic - and all looked like each other - whats the fun ?
Well, apart from Berlin, it isn't the wackiness I'm concerned with, but how the locations fit together canon-wise. Most places got descriptions way past 2050. I assume, the two different settings of Shadowrun Returns would be connected, so you could not do 2050 Seattle and 2070 Hong Kong for example. Still it's unclear how much they will stick to established canon anyway. Maybe they really only go for the flair and some of the big plot elements.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 7 2012, 04:29 PM) *
QUOTE (lokii @ Apr 7 2012, 12:35 PM) *

Neo Tokyo is just Tokyo, which admittedly would still make it Tokyo. But metahumans were totally disenfranchised back then to the point where such characters would have to have their own game. Well, of course if you get a little more handwavy with the canon or simply set a different time frame these problems could vanish.

Sounds "fun," doesn't it?
I don't know about that. Metahuman player characters would have huge disadvantages and nothing that compensates for that.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 7 2012, 04:29 PM) *
Like one of the Tirs, or London... Or Rio. smile.gif
Well I would sure like to see what a modern elven city looks like. The old Cromwell-is-Big-Brother London setting would also be nice. But if you want to do something for diversity in video games make an RPG set in an African city (and by Africa I don't mean Egypt).

QUOTE (Sengir @ Apr 7 2012, 05:21 PM) *
Crimson Steam Pirates gave me the impression that it could maybe look like a nicer version of Dreamweb (some screenshots). But since Jordan mentioned X-COM, the game should have an isometric perspective and not the top-down view of Crimson (I have only seen the videos).
Sengir
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 7 2012, 04:02 PM) *
Yeah, that's the impression I get. I have Crimson Steam Pirates on the iPad and it's a great game. Very well designed and good looking; it gives me high hopes for Shadowrun Returns.

Having played the game, can you shed light on what they might mean by "contextual gameplay"? I figure radial menus with different content depending on where you click, or does CSP have something else than that?
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Sengir @ Apr 7 2012, 02:27 PM) *
Having played the game, can you shed light on what they might mean by "contextual gameplay"? I figure radial menus with different content depending on where you click, or does CSP have something else than that?

You pretty much have it there, at least for Crimson Steam Pirates. Each vehicle in it has a radial menu attached to its movement action and the options in that radial menu depend on the situation.
Skip
CSP menu items changed depending on your ship and crew, I would imagine that a runner group would get similar options. CSP was more of a fun steampunk tactical turn-based game. So I expect that Shadowrun would get a deeper treatment. Also, it's not going to be a couple dollar iTunes app, it really is geared for PC. Though I'd love an iPad version.

I'd rather play turn-based for an RPG because it gives you more of the feel of an RPG. Real-time RPGs are more like speed chess, interesting and amazing to watch, but not the original.

I'd like to see Denver as a second city for consideration. London might be good, but the high security might not make it everyone's favorite. The Tirs have the same issue. If you play them close to their 2050 origins, you end up with very difficult cities to run in. Though, Chicago might be interesting. I hate bugs though. smile.gif
remmus
I vote for Stockholm as the second city, because I can X3
Stahlseele
Nah, i vote for the SOX.
It would pacify both germans and frenchies fans.
And it'd be a REALLY different setting from just another sprawl . .
almost normal
Vegas, Philly, or Bust. Choose a location based on awesomeness, and not to placate the Euros.
Stahlseele
Sox IS awesome . .
It's basically our own little corner of the Fallout Universe right there . .
almost normal
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 10 2012, 03:30 PM) *
Sox IS awesome . .
It's basically our own little corner of the Fallout Universe right there . .

As a longtime fan of the FO universe (I'm even in the FO bible), I couldn't disagree more. If I want FO, I'll play FO. I want SR, and few locations scream fun in the SR world like Vegas and Philly.
Stahlseele
It's a post apocalyptical nuclear wasteland where formerly 2 great nations had cities . .
There are mutants there. Glowpunks. Smugglers. Raiders. Robots. Enclaves and Bunkers . .
That's close enough to Fallout for me . .
CanRay
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 10 2012, 02:48 PM) *
It's a post apocalyptical nuclear wasteland where formerly 2 great nations had cities . .
There are mutants there. Glowpunks. Smugglers. Raiders. Robots. Enclaves and Bunkers . .
Makes me homesick... Save for the "Two Great Nations" part...
VykosDarkSoul
I say Chicago...but thats just cause i want to blow up some bugs
almost normal
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 10 2012, 03:48 PM) *

You misunderstand, I apologize. It's not that I dont think the area is FO-esque, it's that if I want Fallout, I'll go play it. I'm funding shadowrun, and expect to play as much.
remmus
meh personally I love to see them be bold, make the 2nd city one never detailed in novels or lore books, we already have Seattle to stroke the fans, why not inject some new iconic characters, locals and stories.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 10 2012, 09:59 PM) *
Makes me homesick... Save for the "Two Great Nations" part...

Well, one great nation and one that tried to surrender to lance armstrong *snickers*
QUOTE (almost normal @ Apr 10 2012, 10:16 PM) *
You misunderstand, I apologize. It's not that I dont think the area is FO-esque, it's that if I want Fallout, I'll go play it. I'm funding shadowrun, and expect to play as much.

Ah. OK.
I just can't wrap my head around that i guess . .
I mean . . i love shadowrun . . oh, by the way canray, i got to play last saturday! nyahnyah.gif ^^
And i love Fallout. Yes, even Tactics was kinda good too for me . .
So the mix between the two of them strikes me as a big kind of YES PLEASE JUST DO IT ALREADY DAMN IT!
Imagine what would have happened if Big D woke up and the first thing he roared was:"Why the hell am i all glowy this time?"

I am still jonesing for a Fallout Tactics Mod that makes it into shadowrun ._.
Stahlseele
Edited first post to include this:
http://ruinedkingdoms.com/shadowrun/
Not of this World
QUOTE (lokii @ Apr 7 2012, 10:20 AM) *
Still it's unclear how much they will stick to established canon anyway. Maybe they really only go for the flair and some of the big plot elements.

If you recognized the names and faces behind the project this wouldn't be a question. Read through the credits in the Shadowrun 1st, 2nd, and 3rd editions and you'll see a bunch of names behind Shadowrun returns.
The Jopp
I'm a bit dissapointed that they chose to go 2D when they could use Neverwinter Nights 2 engine or similar ones not to mention multiplayer over the web so you could create adventures and perhaps even have a GM.

Oh well. wobble.gif
Mirilion
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 11 2012, 08:46 AM) *
I'm a bit dissapointed that they chose to go 2D when they could use Neverwinter Nights 2 engine or similar ones not to mention multiplayer over the web so you could create adventures and perhaps even have a GM.

Oh well. wobble.gif

Let's not kid ourselves, nothing less than a fully immersive VR game ran by multiple genius-level AI will satisfy us. So 2D, 3D, doesn't matter much as long as it got style.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Mirilion @ Apr 11 2012, 08:18 AM) *
Let's not kid ourselves, nothing less than a fully immersive VR game ran by multiple genius-level AI will satisfy us. So 2D, 3D, doesn't matter much as long as it got style.

Heh..yeah, but ya know Mir, someone would still find something to complain about, even as they are playing the shit out of it. There is always someone who is going to say "Gawd! this game is so cheap and dumb!" as they spend 4 hours a day on it..... ::cough cough:: WoW ::cough cough:: biggrin.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 11 2012, 02:46 AM) *

Oh well. wobble.gif

How much would licensing the NWN engine cost?

Similar game engines cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. It'd eat the production budget like wow.

-k
Bull
Linux support now added to the 1 Mill stretch goal!
Mirilion
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 11 2012, 06:01 PM) *
Linux support now added to the 1 Mill stretch goal!

Ponies, ponies everywhere
Stahlseele
Wonder if we will get something like a Mech-Lab for Cyber/Bioware-Installation . .
remmus
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 11 2012, 08:37 PM) *
Wonder if we will get something like a Mech-Lab for Cyber/Bioware-Installation . .

I would be surprised (and a bit disappointed) if there aint no street doc to help us hook up with wares, tho I suspect it´s going to be a blunt you buy it it´s on your character, permanently (like in the two old games), if there going to be full on grades there might be a option to upgrade.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 11 2012, 02:37 PM) *

If they do, I hope they have that nonchalant technician nonchalantly leaning on a nonchalant girder for scale. smile.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Apr 11 2012, 04:11 PM) *
How much would licensing the NWN engine cost?

Similar game engines cost in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. It'd eat the production budget like wow.

-k

Well, there are others one can use. Unity comes to mind if you want 3D or Panda3D.

http://unity3d.com/
http://www.panda3d.org/
Blade
It's not just about the engine. It's also about the graphical resources. In 2D you need a few artists to draw backgrounds, objects and characters. In 3D you need to model your objects and characters, then you need to animate them (using motion capture and/or rigging and/or manual animation), and texture them, which takes more people and/or more time. Unless you go for a very simplistic 3D, it will be far more expensive than 2D.
remmus
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 12 2012, 11:32 AM) *
It's not just about the engine. It's also about the graphical resources. In 2D you need a few artists to draw backgrounds, objects and characters. In 3D you need to model your objects and characters, then you need to animate them (using motion capture and/or rigging and/or manual animation), and texture them, which takes more people and/or more time. Unless you go for a very simplistic 3D, it will be far more expensive than 2D.

not to mention skill wise it´s a totally different ballpark doing 3D then 2D, not much use having a fancy 3D engine if no one at the office knows how to work it.
CanRay
QUOTE (remmus @ Apr 12 2012, 10:26 AM) *
not to mention skill wise it´s a totally different ballpark doing 3D then 2D, not much use having a fancy 3D engine if no one at the office knows how to work it.
And if anyone knows that good graphics doesn't make a game, it's us!

If you don't know, look at Rage. Four DVDs and it was shorter than some DLC I've bought!
DeathStrobe
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 12 2012, 09:32 AM) *

Not totally accurate. Of course it depends on the scope of the project, but if you are going for a lot of characters with the same animation you'd save a lot more time by reusing the animation from one character for another and just have a new model placed on the already existing rigging.

2D animation on the other hand, lets say in an isometric viewed game, you'd need to have a sprite sheet that contains the character in different positions, at least taking in to account the four different directions a character can face, but possibly 8 assuming you may want a character to face diagonally, and then to make animations for each direction, and then on top of that do that process a few times for having more characters.

2D is cheaper until you start to have a lot of unique characters.
lokii
Do the plans for Seattle include the Ork Underground? If not, maybe that should be the second setting. Also Council Island, Hell's Kitchen, Fort Lewis etc. To put it differently I wonder how much Seattle's potential for different environments is really explored. But if they have all that already included in their plans for Seattle by all means do some other place.

QUOTE (Not of this World @ Apr 11 2012, 06:22 AM) *
If you recognized the names and faces behind the project this wouldn't be a question. Read through the credits in the Shadowrun 1st, 2nd, and 3rd editions and you'll see a bunch of names behind Shadowrun returns.
Meh, they already changed 2011 to 2012. There is also this distinction between mages being able to see auras while shamans can see the spirit realm. Unless I seriously underestimate the commitment to the canon, there will be more such changes. But I came to the conclusion that it's beside the point. This game should deliver on flair and certain iconic elements. Shadowrun for SNES was also very liberal with the canon, but it had the right flair and is probably one important reason, this new game is happening.
CanRay
Another important reason is the 2007 game guy got pelted! biggrin.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 12 2012, 05:31 PM) *
If you don't know, look at Rage. Four DVDs and it was shorter than some DLC I've bought!

Yup, pretty to look at, i prefer my Skyrim.

But a Fallout'esque or Arcanum isometric engine would be nice otherwise. Or Jagged Alliance II.
Stahlseele
Seeing how they use X-Com as a reference, it's probably going to be Isometric.
GOOD OLD TIMES!
Some of the best games EVER were in Isometric!
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 12 2012, 11:31 AM) *
And if anyone knows that good graphics doesn't make a game, it's us!

Look at Dwarf Fortress: 7 megabytes and more content than Skyrim.
CanRay
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 13 2012, 07:46 AM) *
And no arrows to the knee. biggrin.gif
Mirilion
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 13 2012, 01:46 PM) *

I remember Elite Frontier being 1.5 Mb... still no idea how they managed to shove an entire galaxy in there.
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 13 2012, 09:17 AM) *
And no arrows to the knee. biggrin.gif

No, but it has an arrow to the right eye, left ear, and the pancreas.
Blade
@Mirilion: it's explained here. It was both clever and well executed.
If you're interested you can get a C source code doing this here.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 13 2012, 09:37 AM) *

Procedural generation is fun and amazing. It's a great tool.

It does have a habit of making everything "same-y" but a lot of games benefit from this (dungeon crawlers, generally) due to the fact that "the same but not the same" is the entire point (e.g. it doesn't matter if this wall tile looks like every other wall tile, it's unimportant!).

I wish more modern games used it without it feeling blah (Spore felt "blah" because it made exploration boring: every planet was the same).
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 13 2012, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE (Wikipedia; Technical Innovations)
The Elite universe contains eight galaxies, each galaxy containing 256 planets to explore. Due to the limited capabilities of 8-bit computers, these worlds are procedurally generated. A single seed number is run through a fixed algorithm the appropriate number of times and creates a sequence of numbers determining each planet's complete composition (position in the galaxy, prices of commodities, and even name and local details— text strings are chosen numerically from a lookup table and assembled to produce unique descriptions for each planet). This means that no extra memory is needed to store the characteristics of each planet, yet each is unique and has fixed properties. Each galaxy is also procedurally generated from the first.

However, the use of procedural generation created a few problems. There are a number of poorly located systems that can be reached only by galactic hyperspace— these are more than 7 light years from their nearest neighbour, thus trapping the traveller. Braben and Bell also checked that none of the system names were profane - removing an entire galaxy after finding a planet named "Arse".[8]

Am I the only one who wants to visit the planet Arse? Just to see what it's like?
Draco18s
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 13 2012, 09:47 AM) *
Am I the only one who wants to visit the planet Arse? Just to see what it's like?

It's just full of asses.
Stahlseele
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161326...38?ref=activity
"blah blah blah USB-Dog-Tags blah blah blah"

SHUT UP! SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Halinn
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 13 2012, 09:28 PM) *

KEEP TALKING BUT TAKE MY MONEY!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012