Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shadowrun video game announced!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
ggodo
Troll bows on trollerskates?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (ggodo @ Apr 26 2012, 08:56 PM) *

Been there, done that ^^
CanRay
QUOTE (Cochise @ Apr 26 2012, 12:08 PM) *
Maybe that thingy with the dragon eating a kitten is still up in the air with that too smile.gif
That should be in the base game, if you ask me.

Like Jabba the Hutt munching down on whatever was in that tank. wink.gif
silva
QUOTE (fastdos @ Apr 25 2012, 01:32 AM) *
Silva,

Where did you get your info on game scope?

From here.

"It'll follow an "anthology" format, with several authors writing related chapters of an over-arching story. While Weisman makes clear it won't be a sandbox game, he says there will be room for a little branching."

and

"deckers.. won't dive into the full virtual reality of the Matrix during missions"

But as I said, sanbox or not, if the games ends up having a great tactical combat àla Xcom/Jagged Alliance, with meaningful interaction out of combat and a great atmosphere reminiscent of the SNES and Genesis ones, Im totally OK with it.
Sir_Psycho
So uh... what do deckers do?
Bull
I would note that by most definitions, neither the SNES nor the Sega Shadowrun games were "Sandbox" games.
Stahlseele
i'm hoping for something like the old fallout games myself . .
mfb
They've specifically mentioned branching/extending dialogue trees as a gameplay element. The other gameplay elements they've described don't conjure up a style of game in which branching/extending dialogue trees would be commonly used inside an actual mission--there aren't, to use their example, a lot of conversation opportunities in an X-COM mission. That, and the fact that they referenced the SNES game as being the inspiration for the dialogue trees leads me to believe that we're going to be seeing something fairly akin to the SNES and Genesis games, where you have an 'open' world that is basically full of Johnsons and contacts. It's not a sandbox, because you can't run around and do whatever you want, but it's not just a dropdown list of available missions, either.

That, plus they're adding a second city. If the game is just a list of missions you can go on, a second city wouldn't really make a lot of sense--it wouldn't do anything, it would just be splitting up the list of missions into two lists. It's possible that's all HBS intends, but if so it's remarkably myopic of them with regards to fan expectations--a topic that, at least in the "making promises" stage of development, they seem to have a pretty solid grasp on.
silva
QUOTE (Bull @ Apr 27 2012, 04:23 AM) *
I would note that by most definitions, neither the SNES nor the Sega Shadowrun games were "Sandbox" games.

Debatable.

I think all here agree that sandbox is not a binary/ 0 or 1 thing, but a group of qualities/characteristics. While the Snes game really tended to the 0 of that scale, the Genesis one had some qualities that, in my view, put it somewhere from the mid to the 1 in the scale.

In special, Im talking about that game relative "openess" that allowed you to do what you want, and as you want, through a structure of random jobs availalble through diffferent johnsons and contacts, that had nothing to do with pre-scripted stories - in other words, you could totally ignore the "Gamemaster Adventure" and go on to explore the setting as you wish (inside certain limitations of code and of being a shadowrunner in the first place) and the game continued engaging and fun - thats the exact definition of sandbox for a large number of (tabletop and electronic) gamers.

So, in some ways, one could say that..

..the meat of the Genesis game was its "open world", that felt pretty much "alive" and made you feel like a real shadowrunner.

..the meat of the SNES game was its (mature and very genre appropriated) plot and its kick-ass atmosphere and personality.

..what will be the meat of SR:R ? Well, judging by the descriptions so far, its the tactical "contextual" combat. I hope it ends up being a bit more than that, but only time will tell. To be fair, I think we shoudlnt even demand the devs give detailed descriptions of the game right now, because not even them know this yet.
fastdos
The game will not be a true open world, but it should be the kind of game that is more than a linear this mission into this mission format. The missions themselves will be the key component--as opposed to Johnny Shadowrunner buying real estate in Redmond. HBS even wants to incorporate a missions rating system that allows players to comment on the quality of the jobs they take.
Vegetaman
I am impressed, it is at 1.65 mil right now with like 32 hours to go. It may actually hit 1.75, unless it already did with paypal funding (provided that counts towards this goal, of course).
Draco18s
QUOTE (Vegetaman @ Apr 27 2012, 06:40 PM) *
I am impressed, it is at 1.65 mil right now with like 32 hours to go. It may actually hit 1.75, unless it already did with paypal funding (provided that counts towards this goal, of course).

FAQ'd

Does the PayPal total add to the Grand Total as it relates to special goals?

Yes! PayPal Backers' contributions always count.
Vegetaman
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 27 2012, 04:42 PM) *
FAQ'd

Does the PayPal total add to the Grand Total as it relates to special goals?

Yes! PayPal Backers' contributions always count.

Ah, very good. I just saw this from the comments, as well:

Russell Brown about 1 hour ago
Edward: With paypal, we are only 50k away from 1.75 million. We only need about $1600/hour from this point on. It's basically a lock at this point.

I don't know where the paypal info is, but it sounds like we are well within shooting distance of the target!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Vegetaman @ Apr 27 2012, 08:11 PM) *
I don't know where the paypal info is, but it sounds like we are well within shooting distance of the target!

Seriously? It's on the main page. Right under the video.

If you can't use Kickstarter, you can use PayPal!

http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowrun/paypal
_Pax._
I think he meant, he didn't know where the PayPal amount can be found/seen.
Vegetaman
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Apr 27 2012, 10:02 PM) *
I think he meant, he didn't know where the PayPal amount can be found/seen.

^ You are correct.

Cool update #11 posted.
DV8
Another 16 hours to go with the record standing at $1,710,535. Another 39,5K to get Physical Adepts! I just upped my pledge! If you can, you should too! smile.gif
Cochise
QUOTE (DV8 @ Apr 28 2012, 04:27 PM) *
Another 16 hours to go with the record standing at $1,710,535. Another 39,5K to get Physical Adepts!

Accorindg to update 12 the goal has already been reached (probably due to the PayPal pledges that seems to be in the ballpark of about 40k$)

I just upped my pledge! If you can, you should too! smile.gif

Actually, no I can't ... I'm already in a (sold out) pledge area that heavily cuts into my budget wink.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Cochise @ Apr 28 2012, 11:29 AM) *
Actually, no I can't ... I'm already in a (sold out) pledge area that heavily cuts into my budget wink.gif
Well, we found one of the guys that gets to game at least...
Cochise
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 28 2012, 06:57 PM) *
Well, we found one of the guys that gets to game at least...

That however is the wrong conclusion ... while my pledge level is "sold out" I'm (unfortunately) not in a position to spend 10k ... nor did I enter the whole thing early enough to even consider that option
_Pax._
$500 then, Cochise? Man, I only wish ... smile.gif
Bigity
Too bad this didn't happen right after my yearly bonus. Instead I got my wife a new washer/dryer set.

A poor choice compared to the pledge rewards, IMO.
Cochise
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Apr 28 2012, 07:26 PM) *
$500 then, Cochise? Man, I only wish ... smile.gif

Correct ... that's my pledge level ... and as I said: It heavily cuts into my budget and despite that little voice far in the back of my head I simply cannot afford more than that.
Stahlseele
500! Dude must be loaded o.o
Also: The 10k reward sold out first thing
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 28 2012, 03:38 PM) *
500! Dude must be loaded o.o
Also: The 10k reward sold out first thing

I had a conversation with a friend of mine about how he was seriously considering the $500 pledge over the $250 for the special icon on his missions, and the fact that he was self-conscious about it ("Am I really justifying $250 for this?") and I said, "well at that point, you might as well go all-out and spring for the full 1k and have a custom NPC")

I think he ended up doing the $250 level.
Stahlseele
If i thought i could do something good with the editor i probably would have gone for more too. But i am next to worthless with stuff like that. The unique item with my name on it would have been more up my alley
mfb
Paypal is currently sitting at $52,969. And the Kickstarter funds alone are over $1.75M, for a total of $1,806,404. Only $193,596 to get a dragon kitten thing.
McDougle
I would love that early Editor access... but more than 100 additional ¥ is just too much for that purpose...
Draco18s
Don't think we're going to get our dragon-eating-a-kitten thing. Need $130,000 more or so, in the next 90 minutes.
Mirilion
I just puked out a little rainbow
Stahlseele
End-Result:
BACKERS
$1,836,447
PLEDGED OF $400,000 GOAL
SECONDS TO GO
Halinn
QUOTE (Update 14)
Including PayPal, our final total is $1,895,772!!!
Stahlseele
Such a pity that the 100k backer jumped ship . . we might have made it then . .
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 29 2012, 11:51 AM) *
Such a pity that the 100k backer jumped ship . . we might have made it then . .

There was a 100k backer?
Stahlseele
Yes and no.
There would have been one if we only managed to get 300k of the needed 400k.
Wounded Ronin
OK, so what city are you going to lobby them to implement?
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ May 1 2012, 10:30 PM) *
OK, so what city are you going to lobby them to implement?

The only one that makes sense is Denver. There. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012