Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shadowrun video game announced!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Draco18s
QUOTE (Chainsaw Samurai @ Apr 17 2012, 02:34 AM) *
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, how did I miss this? Velociraptor! Cannibalism!

Is this like Munchkin with dinosaurs? And by that I mean, "can I get wasted and yell at people while playing this?"

You obviously missed the thread about it over here. Not that I blame you. I don't venture into that board much either.
And yes. It's "kind of" like Munchkin, although Munchkin was not present in our minds when we designed the game. Not until days later when we started trying to describe the game in 30 seconds (the "elevator pitch" as it were).
So yes. You can, more or less, get drunk and yell at people. As long as you can still perform basic addition you should be fine. wink.gif

It's also much faster to play than Munchkin. You don't have to worry about a game dragging on for hours (I've had that happen with Munchkin).
Halinn
It seems likely to beat 1.5 million, very unlikely to beat 2 million. At least that's what looking at the progress tracker in the first post tells me.
Stahlseele
It's a VERY rudimentary tracker.
Only Money total divided by time.
VykosDarkSoul
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 17 2012, 11:10 AM) *
You obviously missed the thread about it over here. Not that I blame you. I don't venture into that board much either.
And yes. It's "kind of" like Munchkin, although Munchkin was not present in our minds when we designed the game. Not until days later when we started trying to describe the game in 30 seconds (the "elevator pitch" as it were).
So yes. You can, more or less, get drunk and yell at people. As long as you can still perform basic addition you should be fine. wink.gif

It's also much faster to play than Munchkin. You don't have to worry about a game dragging on for hours (I've had that happen with Munchkin).

::bowed head in shame::
Im not allowed to play as a thief in munchkin anymore......sigh....
Stahlseele
i played munchkin twice last saturday . .
from 11 in the morning till 1 in the NEXT MORNING!
TWO GAMES x.x
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (Mirilion @ Apr 16 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Not sure about the third color though.

I did have an idea about the rainbow ending, where everyone become best friends and work together to make the world a better place, but somehow I don't think it fits.

You mean the post-cyberpunk ending?
Pretty sure that's "Simple Machines Forum" default colors.
Tiralee
First - Backed after we figured out that throwing money at the screen didn't work, but Paypal would. (Hiss, Boo..)

Second - we're argueing over who gets the shirt, etc.

Third, I just coughed up blood when I read this, "the announcement on Shadowrun4.com includes a note that there will be a Shadowrun 2050 sourcebook for playing in the 2050's with SR4A rules."

Actual blood.

If you're going to set the game in 2050...I hope to all the holy and unholy things worshipped, venerated and feared, that they'll do us all a favour and include the option to go:

Difficulty level:
4th Edition rules: - Vanilla is still tasty!
3rd Edition rules: It's time to watch the world burn
2nd edition rules: Abandon all hope, pink mohawks at the door.

Or at least whack on a mod. If the game is how it says, this would simply be a look-to table revision. But 4th rules....

-Tir.
Stahlseele
I don't think the SR2050 Book stuff will have much to do with the game.
Or at least i hope so.
Patrick Goodman
They won't have a lot to do with them; SR2050 (the sourcebook) was in discussion a long time before we found out about SRR (the video game). It's one of those interesting, happy bits of serendipity.
Stahlseele
SR3 had rules for pretty much everything . . and thus it was frigging complicated, especially the rigging/matrix-stuff . .
But with a computer behind the rules to do the actual work for you, i think the SR3 rule-system would be the one better suited to making a computer game out of . .
Tiralee
"SR3 had rules for pretty much everything . . and thus it was frigging complicated, especially the rigging/matrix-stuff . .
But with a computer behind the rules to do the actual work for you, i think the SR3 rule-system would be the one better suited to making a computer game out of . . "

THIS - so much THIS, Stahlseele.

Everone's complained, at least once, about the mountain of rules that SR3 applies to various situations, be it the racism rolls for social meets (what, you guys don't use them?) to the fun and games of the matrix/rigger rules (Although they've have to fix the rigger rules first...)

Having an impartial GM automatically determine ambient light, distance to target, visibility factors and other variables in a fire fight makes for a much FASTER game. And frankly, a lot more fun, if they keep the "surprise, you're dead!" ambush Reaction rolls.

-Tir
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Apr 19 2012, 06:59 AM) *
"SR3 had rules for pretty much everything . . and thus it was frigging complicated, especially the rigging/matrix-stuff . .
But with a computer behind the rules to do the actual work for you, i think the SR3 rule-system would be the one better suited to making a computer game out of . . "

THIS - so much THIS, Stahlseele.

Everone's complained, at least once, about the mountain of rules that SR3 applies to various situations, be it the racism rolls for social meets (what, you guys don't use them?) to the fun and games of the matrix/rigger rules (Although they've have to fix the rigger rules first...)

Having an impartial GM automatically determine ambient light, distance to target, visibility factors and other variables in a fire fight makes for a much FASTER game. And frankly, a lot more fun, if they keep the "surprise, you're dead!" ambush Reaction rolls.

-Tir

I always felt a computer program would be best to handle all those rolls with the full variables.
Stahlseele
yah, it would be pretty much perfect . .
not as much GM Decisioning, as in SR4 either.
Mirilion
Update no. 7... a chat by the fireplace.

Anyway passed 300% already, this has been amazing.
DeathStrobe
They want to make a forum for fans of Shadowrun to discuss the VG games, the in production online game and the pen and paper games... Such an amazing place, could it ever exist...wait a second...
coolgrafix
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Apr 19 2012, 09:50 PM) *
They want to make a forum for fans of Shadowrun to discuss the VG games, the in production online game and the pen and paper games... Such an amazing place, could it ever exist...wait a second...

Had the same thought.

Also tweaked by neck hairs to learn that the shadowrun.com domain was _somehow_ being used by the other online game being made. Not quite sure how that happened, after the kerfluffle that resulted in CGL having to use shadowrun4.com. Grumble.

Mayhaps all three entities will actually live in harmony together. One can only hope.

On the web site issue, though, I think they are more looking for a single Shadowrun promotional clearinghouse. One place to promote the SR property en total, instead of three separate official sites (which I assume they will still keep and maintain anyway).
CanRay
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Apr 19 2012, 09:50 PM) *
A FRIENDLY place... nyahnyah.gif
coolgrafix
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 19 2012, 10:51 PM) *

LOL. Awesome.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 19 2012, 10:51 PM) *

It'll be friendly, for a time. And then someone will bring up armor stacking and someone else will ask why possession is so broken and then....
Naysayer
Someone will call your hacker a decker, your otaku a technomancer, your dodge pool combat pool, your totem a mentor and then
ruins.
CanadianWolverine
Ruins are a great place for shadows biggrin.gif
Tiralee
excl.gif "Which version of the Shadowrun rules are you going to use?

Let's start here--Shadowrun was never about the rules. It's about the game world. If you need proof, look at the 1st Edition rules. They were. . . lacking. But the world caught on and the rules improved. So we intend to be true to the world and take our rule cues from the 2nd and 3rd Editions. They best represent the 2050 era time frame. "

In the parlence of the local wags, I've just shit rainbows. [rainbow_nasty.image]

-Tir
Bringing Nyan cat into the 6th world, kicking and screamnyan nyan niminimin nyan nyan...
Patrick Goodman
Five days and a hundred grand to go. Can we make it, I wonder....
The Jopp
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 24 2012, 04:53 AM) *
Five days and a hundred grand to go. Can we make it, I wonder....

I actually doubt it, did my part though, went for the 125$ prize. grinbig.gif
Little Tim
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 23 2012, 11:37 PM) *
I actually doubt it, did my part though, went for the 125$ prize. grinbig.gif

If it follows the trend from Double Fine and Wasteland then there will be a large boost the last 48 hours. So I fully expect them to pass 1.5M. If we ignore that then it looks like the pledge rate drops by 10% a day; so if they somehow don't get a last minute surge then my math says they would only hit 1.49M.
Sir_Psycho
I'm excited about playing a shadowrunner, leading a team of community generated runners who get a cut (imagine if it actually kicked back to your runners account). If they do the matrix right, you could data search SEAsource, Shadowland (Captain Chaos, Hatchetman,) The entire Nexus data haven at your disposal. I'll be happy If I can play a SR3 decker hiring a samurai and a shaman I met in conversations at bars like Club Penumbra or that ork underground spicy rib place with the strong brew to watch my back and get me to the access point. I want infiltration, athletics and electronics to be useful skills. We want to plan heists with elaborate gear: shadowruns. I'm not in it for a dungeon crawl, unless you give us Chicago as it goes to hell. But I'm not fussy, I just want to save up nuyen.gif1,500,000 for that Fairlight Excalibur and sleaze Aztechnology's glacier. But then it's probably off to the delta clinic for a move-by-wire system.
CanRay
New team members to the game have been announced!

Marshall Parker and Sam Powell will collaborate on the music! That's right, the guys that made the music for the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games, working together!!! biggrin.gif

EDIT: The DocWagon cards look awesome! And the preview photo is of someone who is likely to need the card the most! wink.gif
almost normal
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 24 2012, 04:18 PM) *

Marshall Parker and Sam Powell will collaborate on the music! That's right, the guys that made the music for the SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games, working together!!! biggrin.gif

EDIT: The DocWagon cards look awesome! And the preview photo is of someone who is likely to need the card the most! wink.gif

Wierd. I wonder how, I always found their music to be like Law and Order, seperate yet equal. Ah well. As long as I can walk into a dive bar with ruined pool tables while techno music yells "SCHATTENLAUF!" at me, I'll be happy.
Naysayer
It's a weird feeling.
Usually, some time after I spend any significant amount of money in a fit of geekish glee, some form of doubt starts to creep in.
Butin this case, they already have all my money, and with every update, I only feel better for having given it.
almost normal
QUOTE (Naysayer @ Apr 24 2012, 05:40 PM) *
It's a weird feeling.
Usually, some time after I spend any significant amount of money in a fit of geekish glee, some form of doubt starts to creep in.
Butin this case, they already have all my money, and with every update, I only feel better for having given it.

Well, yeah. We're still in the promises phase. Anything is possible. Considering the target platform, who's working on it, and their recent track record, we could just as likely get Shadowrun360 meets Angry Birds. We'll find out in 8 months I guess.
Vegetaman
QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 24 2012, 02:18 PM) *

This is making me excited for the game soundtrack itself (above and beyond the game, which I was already excited about) at this point!
silva
If they do the matrix right, you could data search SEAsource, Shad..

It wont have a matrix.

It also wont be a open-world like the Genesis version.

In fact, this game scope is much narrower than all previous rpgs released (Snes, Genesis and Sega CD). Its basicly a tactical combat game with some (linear) story to glue the missions together. Well, if it ends being like Shadow Watch but with Shadowrun Theme, I would happy already.
fastdos
Silva,

Where did you get your info on game scope?
Sir_Psycho
If it's tablet Diablo with guns and a cyberdeck is a glorified chest opener, I'm out.
Sengir
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Apr 22 2012, 12:07 AM) *
excl.gif "Which version of the Shadowrun rules are you going to use?

Let's start here--Shadowrun was never about the rules. It's about the game world. If you need proof, look at the 1st Edition rules. They were. . . lacking. But the world caught on and the rules improved. So we intend to be true to the world and take our rule cues from the 2nd and 3rd Editions. They best represent the 2050 era time frame. "

Well, I'm still on the fence about their description on how they plan to implement magic. Bringing back the mage/shaman divide is nice, but different astral worlds and mages recharging their power at ley lines?
Naysayer
So, if we factor in Shroedinger's Paypal donations, and also the fact that there's still 3 days on the clock, I think we can safely say that the 1.5 mil have been tagged and bagged.
So, next up: Rumors and speculation on how they're gonna tie the SNES and Genesis games' plots together and tie them into their own plot! You know, the one we can't even begin to speculate about.
First take: Someone turns out to be someone else's father. Also, a dragon is involved. Amnesia! That cute fox-girl? She's your sister, you perv. Harlequin knew all along.
This is the point where I should hand the bartender the keys to my account.
Was a fine scotch, though.
Vegetaman
Just crossed the 1.5 mil threshold with 3 days left to go!
_Pax._
QUOTE (Vegetaman @ Apr 25 2012, 10:11 PM) *
Just crossed the 1.5 mil threshold with 3 days left to go!

Awesome! Upping my pledge from $15 to $60 yesterday may not have helped MUCH, but every little bit helps! smile.gif
fastdos
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Apr 26 2012, 03:20 AM) *
Awesome! Upping my pledge from $15 to $60 yesterday may not have helped MUCH, but every little bit helps! smile.gif

Oh it helped!
Bull
Well, we hit 1.5 Mill! Got a new update...And there's a new Stretch Goal for the last 3 days... 1.75 Mill.

If it's met?

Magical Ninjas!

Hehe.

Phys-Ads, that is.

And that's something that I, as a long time fan, LOVE about this project. They're not just "Adepts". They're Physical Adepts. They're Magical Ninja's. Because that's what they were back then. Hell, that's ALL they were back then. I appreciate that they branched out and become more than just "Magic Samurai", but it's fun to go back to the roots of the game.

So, we need to spread the word and see if we can reach *Checks Kickstarter*... $243,643 in the next 73 hours or so.

Bull
Stahlseele
Upped pledge to 190$ to get the 175$ Reward!
Cochise
~damn~ So I thought I was off the hook ... and then something like this happens ...
Sengir
For 400k we would have gotten the base game with 4 character types. Now the price tag of a single type is 250k? Holy mother of inflation eek.gif
Cochise
Maybe that thingy with the dragon eating a kitten is still up in the air with that too smile.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Sengir @ Apr 26 2012, 11:55 AM) *
For 400k we would have gotten the base game with 4 character types. Now the price tag of a single type is 250k? Holy mother of inflation eek.gif

Yeah, but they're worth it. wink.gif
Stahlseele
Depends entirely on who you ask.
They are not really worth it, in my not so very humble opinion . .
Critias
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 26 2012, 12:18 PM) *
Depends entirely on who you ask.
They are not really worth it, in my not so very humble opinion . .

And if it were Trolls that were this last stretch goal?
Stahlseele
Much more worth it!
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Critias @ Apr 26 2012, 12:20 PM) *
And if it were Trolls that were this last stretch goal?

Troll physads wielding nodachi weapon foci.
Stahlseele
Wonder if they will allow Troll-Bows . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012