Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Shadowrun video game announced!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Stahlseele
http://www.cliffhanger-productions.com/scr...msg1569#msg1569
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?stor...170199826400835
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161326...adowrun-returns

Sounds like the Shadowrun Online MMO for Offline-Gaming o.o

http://ruinedkingdoms.com/shadowrun/
a series of graphs detailing the progress in the SR Returns funding.
NOT including PayPal Donations!
ggodo
Well, I want it. Also I'm curious to see how 2050 will work running in SR4A. It's something that comes up a lot here.
Stahlseele
And have you read what you get for the pledges?
Especially at 10k it's insane!
Might actually enable CanRay to play for once, if he is willing to pay 10.000$ for it *snickers*
Blade
Shut up and take my money!
(and make a fragging good game)
Neraph
2D, turn-based? Final Shadowrun?
coolgrafix
I was unaware the Microsoft licensed the interactive rights away.

But apparently JW secured the rights in 2007 after the MS's abortive FPS died a grisly death.

Outstanding! =)
coolgrafix
Kotaku is also covering this here. Woot!
Neraph
QUOTE (coolgrafix @ Apr 4 2012, 10:09 AM) *
Kotaku is also covering this here. Woot!

Is... is that a troll with a green lightsaber?

EDIT: Oh, he's supposed to be lighting a cigarette on something like a blowtorch. Although it could be a lightsaber and he's lighting up on it...
The Jopp
I will most likely spend 115 dollars on this one.

Already did it for Wasteland 2 grinbig.gif
Stahlseele
Damn it, i wanted to pledge 150$, but they only accept credit cards -.-
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 4 2012, 10:12 AM) *
Damn it, i wanted to pledge 150$, but they only accept credit cards -.-

I don't think that's strictly true. They use Amazon.com's checkout mechanism, so presumably Amazon.com store credit and anything else supported by their mechanism would work. Worth a try.
Stahlseele
only gives 5 different brands of credit cards as payment option for this one though . .
i am not too savy with these things, i don't buy stuff online . .
ggodo
QUOTE (Blade @ Apr 4 2012, 08:03 AM) *
Shut up and take my money!
(and make a fragging good game)

They won't take paypal! They won't take my money!
coolgrafix
QUOTE (ggodo @ Apr 4 2012, 10:23 AM) *
They won't take paypal! They won't take my money!

Kickstarter takes pledges, not payments. No payment is actually made unless their goal is reached.

To accomplish this they have to use a payment gateway that supports longterm payment authorization and optional cancellation.

Most don't. Amazon does. You can see why they went with Amazon. <shrug>
JonathanC
QUOTE (ggodo @ Apr 4 2012, 06:59 AM) *
Well, I want it. Also I'm curious to see how 2050 will work running in SR4A. It's something that comes up a lot here.

Are we sure it's using SR4A? I'm kind of hoping it isn't...I like a lot about 4A rules, but erasing the difference between mages and shamans really destroyed a lot of the flavor. Besides, the 4A Matrix rules are intended for a world where wireless is ubiquitous; 2050 is a land of cyberdecks.
Stahlseele
For anything computer based, they should use the SR3 rules.
These were hell to do in person, but with a computer taking the work away, they have more merrit for the game than the SR4 rules . .
almost normal
It's taking place in 2050. Likely to use hybrid rules nearing 2nd ed.
coolgrafix
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Apr 4 2012, 09:29 AM) *
Are we sure it's using SR4A? I'm kind of hoping it isn't...I like a lot about 4A rules, but erasing the difference between mages and shamans really destroyed a lot of the flavor. Besides, the 4A Matrix rules are intended for a world where wireless is ubiquitous; 2050 is a land of cyberdecks.

Who said anything about 2050? =)
Blade
Seeing the description of the 4 classes and the way they see the world, I think they'll use some custom rules.
Patrick Goodman
1. No, this is not a joke. Shadowrun Returns is a real thing.

2. One of the FAQs on the Kickstarter page specifies that it's in 2050.
Stahlseele
i liked the video on kotaku.
especially when the guy responsible for the SR2007 game got pelted
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 4 2012, 09:52 AM) *
2. One of the FAQs on the Kickstarter page specifies that it's in 2050.

Erf! Good eye. Patrick.

But why!? Why? Assuming it's an IP issue until otherwise informed. Because otherwise... why? =)
Tyxe
Yep, i think it's better to use custom rules even if it will be turn based.
Too complex for a cRPG, maybe not to play but to implement at least (especially for a low budget game).
Damn i hope it will be funded, very excited about this even if after my pledge for W2 i'm a "little" short.
I still remember of the SNES game,it was great (was not turn based though).
JonathanC
QUOTE (coolgrafix @ Apr 4 2012, 07:40 AM) *
Who said anything about 2050? =)

The game's FAQ on Kickstarter:

Draco18s
Assuming they use any rules from the table top game at all!
JonathanC
QUOTE (coolgrafix @ Apr 4 2012, 07:58 AM) *
Erf! Good eye. Patrick.

But why!? Why? Assuming it's an IP issue until otherwise informed. Because otherwise... why? =)

Because the people who are doing the project are from the origins of Shadowrun; 2050 is the setting they wrote, so it's the setting they're working with. Plus, to be honest, 2070 isn't all that Shadowrun-y, IMO. Mages and Shamans are completely identical in 2070, which is a pretty major loss of the setting's flavor. The NAN are largely irrelevant by 2070, which is also very different. The shift from Deckers to Hackers also took a lot of the old flavor with it, from datajacks to splicing your way into an access line...by 2070, hacking is a much less specialized role, and much of it is done in AR. While this makes the game more playable as a pen and paper RPG, I'd much rather enjoy the more flavorful "old way" in a CRPG.

EDIT: To clarify, I am not dumping on SR4A, or 2070 in general. I'm just saying, there have been a lot of changes, and a lot of the "classic" SR stuff is gone, reduced, or irrelevant. It's been replaced by new, shiny stuff. 4th ed is almost more of a transhuman setting than a cyberpunk one, and the vision of the future is pretty different (it's based on extrapolation from the 2000's, rather than extrapolation from the 1980's, as the earlier editions were).

I think it's awesome that we're getting two videogames, one for the modern setting and one for the classic setting.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 4 2012, 11:11 AM) *
Is... is that a troll with a green lightsaber?

EDIT: Oh, he's supposed to be lighting a cigarette on something like a blowtorch. Although it could be a lightsaber and he's lighting up on it...

A smoking troll Jedi. Love it! smile.gif

I'm ambivalent about the 2050 setting. I've played the Genesis game and I liked it, and I've played SR4/SR4A and I love them... But, well...

As long as they have an actual character creator with all the options, I'll be happy. I didn't like being forced to play the one character they gave you in the Genesis game - I know, limitations of the system and all, but these days are much more advanced.
coolgrafix
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Apr 4 2012, 10:18 AM) *
Because the people who are doing the project are from the origins of Shadowrun; 2050 is the setting they wrote, so it's the setting they're working with.

Bah! =) I'm sticking with the IP reason.
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Apr 4 2012, 10:18 AM) *
I think it's awesome that we're getting two videogames, one for the modern setting and one for the classic setting.

Absolutely! =)
My day has been made brighter.
Tyxe
Well, shadowrun online is a browser game, it's really not the same thing.
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Tyxe @ Apr 4 2012, 10:32 AM) *

Exactly! Two games... we totally win here! wink.gif
JonathanC
QUOTE (Tyxe @ Apr 4 2012, 08:32 AM) *

True; they're not the same game, but I like that. If both were in 2070, it'd be redundant.
Murrdox
I'm hoping for the success of both Shadowrun Online... and now this game.

I echo others who have said

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
ShadowDragon8685
Even so, I think 2050 is a little too early. You could go with 2060 when the weird things start to appear, like AIs and Otaku. smile.gif

Still... eh. It'll be fun, unquestionably.

Also, I love the sense of the humor. The caveat on the $60 pledge cracked me up: Note: This is an in-game service only. No armed medical extraction team will actually arrive at your home.

Because shoot, I was really looking forward to that.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Tyxe @ Apr 4 2012, 09:59 AM) *
Damn i hope it will be funded, very excited about this even if after my pledge for W2 i'm a "little" short.

We are at not quite $70K. The Kickstarter is less than 12 hours old. We'll see how things go.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 4 2012, 10:39 AM) *
Even so, I think 2050 is a little too early. You could go with 2060 when the weird things start to appear, like AIs and Otaku. smile.gif

You gotta build up to things.
JonathanC
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 4 2012, 08:39 AM) *

Still... eh. It'll be fun, unquestionably.

Also, I love the sense of the humor. The caveat on the $60 pledge cracked me up: Note: This is an in-game service only. No armed medical extraction team will actually arrive at your home.

Because shoot, I was really looking forward to that.

Eh...I'm kind of okay with Otaku not being around yet. I think there would have been AI by the 2050's, though. Also, Dunk might still be alive.

ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 4 2012, 12:40 PM) *
We are at not quite $70K. The Kickstarter is less than 12 hours old. We'll see how things go.

Well, in a fit of completely spurious reasoning and wild leaping logic (but accurate mathematics,) I calculate that the final budget, at the Kickstarter's end, should be approximately $3,434,000, or over eight and a half times what they hope for.

I wonder what would happen with that much? Hell, you could fund a new edition of the game with that much money, couldn't you?

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 4 2012, 12:40 PM) *
You gotta build up to things.

I suppose, I suppose...

QUOTE (JonathanC @ Apr 4 2012, 12:45 PM) *
Eh...I'm kind of okay with Otaku not being around yet. I think there would have been AI by the 2050's, though. Also, Dunk might still be alive.

Oh, shit, I completely forgot about that.

It'd all be worth it for a chance to change history and save Big D. smile.gif

(Or even to know what exactly Lars J. Matthews did to piss him off bad enough to call him out by name and publicly put a postmortem hit out on him.)
TwoDee
What I would really love to see tackled in this game with more detail is the Crash virus and the resultant lostech. I feel like that's such a gigantic, fantastic plot hook that's kind of been abandoned in favor of newer, shinier digital threats, and moving the clock back lets them play with it again.

What I'm REALLY psyched about is if they'll cover the whole Universal Brotherhood arc, though.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 4 2012, 11:45 AM) *
It'd all be worth it for a chance to change history and save Big D. smile.gif

(Or even to know what exactly Lars J. Matthews did to piss him off bad enough to call him out by name and publicly put a postmortem hit out on him.)

I've been fiddling around with ideas in my head for a while about old Lars. Nothing I want to talk about right now, because they're not even half-baked (hell, I've barely pulled out the flour to make the dough), but I'd love to take a look back and see what he did.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 4 2012, 12:02 PM) *
I've been fiddling around with ideas in my head for a while about old Lars. Nothing I want to talk about right now, because they're not even half-baked (hell, I've barely pulled out the flour to make the dough), but I'd love to take a look back and see what he did.

Even for a dragon, publicly declaring open season on a man is pretty extreme. I mean, I expect that about half of the "to X, I leave a token of my esteem, to be distributed by the Draco Foundation" is a coy way of saying that the token of Big D's esteem they're referring to is a bullet, and the distribution method will be a Shadowrun.

So, what did Lars do to cheese him off badly enough to give him a head-start (not much of one, but a headstart nontheless,) and invite every wanker in the Sixth World with an Ares Predator and a thirst for ten million nuyen.gif plus whatever Lars himself had to take a shot.

Plus, of course, he would run the risk that a court would declare that clause of his Will unenforceable (since it's in as many words a public call to have a guy assassinated and a promise of money upon the completion of that task,) and put in protective custody for the duration of the manhunt period. He is, after all, basically declaring that the government and others beholden to Lars' welfare - the government to which he owes allegiance, DocWagon, whom he paid in a lawfully binding contract to protect him - shall ignore their obligations to him and let him be hunted.

Even if the government decides it's not in their best interest, I imagine that DocWagon would have issue with it, because it's basically saying that if someone with clout tells them to, they'll ignore their obligations to you. That's kind of anathema to the point of DocWagon, and would probably cost them more customers than whatever bribe Big D allocated to be paid out to them.

So, what in the world could Lars have done to Big D to piss him off just that much, without putting him over the edge into just immediately sending Shadowrunners after him, or personally rubbing him out.....

Man, Big D's will is such an interesting document. I wonder if there's any facets to it (besides the open bounties on toxic/bloods and the ongoing magical/technological innovation contests) that players in 2072 could get involved in.
Nath
Actually, Lars Matthews and Dunkelzahn just had a discussion about which qualities were missing from Shadowrun Companion that spanned the whole night, and Lars finally accepted to beta-test any new qualities Dunkelzahn would propose.

Ends up Erased was Dunkelzahn's idea.
tete
If they had said Tom Dowd I would be trying to scrape togeather 10k...
coolgrafix
QUOTE (tete @ Apr 4 2012, 12:24 PM) *
If they had said Tom Dowd I would be trying to scrape togeather 10k...

They did, technically speaking, say Tom Dowd. As in he will be providing story content.

Search for "Dowd" at the Kickstarter page.
Stahlseele
if i had that ind of money, i'd be pledging 10k and tell them to go play with canray . .

Also:
did anybody actually read the FACEBOOK entry?
and here it goes: The second Shadowrun project to release in 2013 just got announced on kickstarter. And it is led by none other than Jordan Weisman himself! Both Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun Online will work together creatively and we have some ideas how to connect both products, but for now let's go and support the developers of either.

This could well be the prequel to SRO!
JonathanC
Yeah, and the announcement on Shadowrun4.com includes a note that there will be a Shadowrun 2050 sourcebook for playing in the 2050's with SR4A rules.
coolgrafix
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Apr 4 2012, 12:50 PM) *
Yeah, and the announcement on Shadowrun4.com includes a note that there will be a Shadowrun 2050 sourcebook for playing in the 2050's with SR4A rules.

And thus begins The Great Re-release. I would love to take folks thru Harlequin, UB, etc. with the new rules, but too much work. Perhaps our friends at Catalyst intend to release updated classic modules to take advantage of the 2050 sourcebook. Otherwise, why bother? =)
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (coolgrafix @ Apr 4 2012, 11:56 AM) *
And thus begins The Great Re-release. I would love to take folks thru Harlequin, UB, etc. with the new rules, but too much work. Perhaps our friends at Catalyst intend to release updated classic modules to take advantage of the 2050 sourcebook. Otherwise, why bother? =)

Because it's cool.

Just a shot in the dark from someone not involved in that project.
Stahlseele
Ok, i pledged my 150$. Or 115€. You know, REAL money . .
And it's already at 125k O.o
coolgrafix
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 4 2012, 01:28 PM) *
Because it's cool.

Hey, even cool sometimes needs a closer. wink.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (coolgrafix @ Apr 4 2012, 08:30 PM) *
Hey, even cool sometimes needs a closer. wink.gif

Computer says no.
Rule of Cool trumps all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012