Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Gate Technologies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Shadow
Initially I was going to just use one thread for everything, but then it went crazy! So I wanted a nice clean thread to start the game. I know at first it might be a little confusing but it will get better. As you might expect I have some rules for playing. These rules are non-negotiable. It's better to find out now that you don't like me as a GM then later.

1. Don't tell other people how they feel when describing your character. Do your best to portray a mood or an idea, but don't just tell other people what they feel when looking at your character.

2. Try to distinguish between "talking" and thinking.

3. If you have a long post use paragraph breaks.

4. When performing a skill or ability describe what your character does, and leave it up to the GM to say how it comes out.

6. Use of bold can add emphasis to a word.

7. Keep OOC in the OOC. If you have a question or something just post it in the OOC.

8. Turn off your signature! It breaks up the mood when reading the IC.

9. These boards and my games are PG-13.

10. Turn off your signature! It breaks up the mood when reading the IC.

I am going to be doing some new things in this game, a mixture of ideas. I will be using the DCRS to keep track of characters, initiative, spells, etc. I will be rolling for initiative. Players will roll everything else.

When in combat, describe your intended result in the OOC and what your character does in the IC. After everyone in a round has done this I will write a post detailing the results.

In the initial offering I said players need to post frequently. I can post many times a day, but only if you do. A PBP game lives and dies on how often we all post, so be dedicated.

I think that is about it. Welcome to the Game.
Shadow
Feel free to post flavor text. Your fixers will be contacting you soon.
Leowulf
Hey, Shadow, I'm still a little confused on how the DCRS works with initiative. Does it show anywhere on our characters on the webpage what our initiative number is, or do you keep track of it separately? During that last fight in Threat and Favor, I was unsure of when it was supposed to be my turn after the first round, so I just posted along with the game when it seemed appropriate.
Shadow
Np. I will post the initiative OOC when it is appropriate. I don't think you can see it from the web, but I am not sure.
Leowulf
I found a minor error on Ghost Dragon's sheet after I sent it to you. I forgot to add the 9 karma to his total accrued, even though I already spent the points and updated his karma pool. Not a big deal really, but I like to be up to date. wink.gif

Here is a short description for the rest of you, whose characters have not met Ghost Dragon before:

Ghost Dragon is a male elf. He is six feet (1.83 m) tall and slender. His straight hair is all white and worn loose at shoulder length. His skin is very pale and almost white. His eyes are a pale blue color. Ghost Dragon typically dresses in all black, usually wearing expensive Tres Chic clothing, dress shoes, gloves, a long coat of some kind, and sunglasses. He takes off his sunglasses only when talking business or giving orders. He believes that allowing people to see his eyes during those times is very important. At other times, hiding them works better.
A Clockwork Lime
I supposed I can throw up a quick description, too. That much I can do from the in-laws house. smile.gif

Cosmo Kapoukahi Kahoku, a.k.a. the Mad Hatter
Hawai'ian Dwarf, Male, Technomantic Kahuna of the Digital Expanse (translation: decker)

Cosmo resembles a stereotypical stoner despite not having touched a pharmaceutical since his drug-induced "awakening" in the early 50's. To get a good mental snapshot of what he looks like, try and imagine a dwarf of Hawaiian ancenstory who just barely reaches the 110cm (3'7'') mark. Make him scarecrow thin — maybe 25 kilos (55 pounds) soaking wet — and give him more body hair than any civilized person has a right to possess. Throw on some thick dreadlocks and tie them off with a handful of colorful beads, then slap on some scraggly whiskers that can't seem to decide if they want to be a beard or just a five-o'clock shadow gone horribly, horribly wrong. Give him both a voice and posture that's incredibly mellow and laid-back (nearly to the point where you might suspect that he's on a perpetual morphine drip) and give him a sort of distant and glazed look in his seafoam green eyes. Now give him a rather large nose and follow that up with otherwise attractive features in that odd, ethic sort of way.

With me so far? Cool. Now that you have his basic features in your mind's eye, dress him in a pair of baggy, tie-dyed cotton boxers that could probably pass as swimming trunks, and they should reach down to his knees. Toss on an old t-shirt (he's currently wearing a blue one emblazoned with a logo reading "EAT ME!" and a cupcake in the background), then give him a pair of mismatched flip-flops or sandles. His jewelry usually consists of a pair of rose-tinted rectangular glasses, a pair of headphones draped around his neck, and a necklace of woven hemp that has a burnt-out OMC crystal dangling from it as a pendant. Place a datajack on his right temple whose titanium casing is engraved with all sorts of beautiful symbols from half a dozen different cultures.

On those occassions when he leaves his mobile home so that he can score some more burritos or maybe a cherry SoySlurpee™, dress him in a suede leather aviator jacket but otherwise keep him as described above, complete with boxers and flip-flops.

Once you have that picture formed in your mind and you've let it sink in, you'll have a pretty good approximation of the Mad Hatter's persona in the land of smog and meat popsicles.
Eyeless Blond
Sheesh, *that* got chosen over my character? Sheesh, I'm seriously going to have to reevaluate why I wasn't chosen. nyahnyah.gif
Moonstone Spider
Descriptions Ho:

Torque

We find our target walking through the barrens. Well, we think it's out target. It's kind of hard to tell given that he's wearing enough layers of armor and clothing to disguise an entire sports team. There's a certain used look to his gear, scratches and stains on his armor, particularly the riot shield, indicate it's seen heavy use. The odd thing for someone in Seattle, is that it has no signs of bullet holes or normal combat.

Ah, here's our target turning into a crumbling apartment that looks as if it may have been the target of a particularly huge, particularly untalented child's painting efforts. Really, who paints a house green with royal purple trim? Once inside Torque peels off helmet, face mask, riot shield, and layer after layer of armor. Underneath he's a wiry but thin man with a serious case of helmet hair, in fact his wild unkempt jungle-hair is found only in people who wear hats 20 hours a day.

A pair of ghouls and what might just be a shapeshifter are sitting at a table waiting. Having divested himself of his gear, Torque sits down.

Torque: "My deal first tonight right Scratch?"
A ghoul hands him a deck of cards.
Scratch: "Right."
Torque: "Right, five card stud, one eyed jacks are wild."
BGMFH
Friday night:

A small ruckus erupts in Redmond, a human female leaving a concert with a male is accosted by four ork gangers.

The human dodges a thrown knife, as two counterweights pop out of his chromed wrist and a single burst downs the thrower.

The others scatter.

Saturday Morning:
James walks into Heelson's "office."

"No problems, girl got home safely from the concert?"

James nods, and holds out an empty hand.

He leaves with 4000Y more than he arrived with.
kevyn668
**character discription to follow**
Shadow
Ok, hold the boat. There is an IC thread you know. O know you guys are posting character descriptions but if your going to do full blown IC posts, then you might as well do it in the IC.

Nice flavor everyone keep it up.
kevyn668
You know I was wondering about that....but everyone else was doin' it!!

I got a fix for this...
Morgannah
Hmm, I'm having a bit of a problem accessing the options under the DCRS equipment lists. I've posted something like 'grenades' and filled in the exact type elsewhere. Seems I can't access it from anywhere else. Help?

Description later.... (*mutters something about having to go wash some dishes*)
Moonstone Spider
Boy, my character on the DCRS really sucks. No knowledge skills, no gear, no contacts and only 3 active skills. I might as well be a shapeshifter.

Edit: I've rolled for my starting cash. I came up with a 2, a 3, and a 1 (Isn't that a lovely way to start.). Start with 600 nuyen.gif.
Shadow
Ok guys listen up. I really like people posting flavor text and all. But I am the one who is going to make the contact with you, through my own means. Gate Tech is in no way going to tell anyone anything about the gate or anything else remotely related to it. When you are contacted they certainly arn't going to tell your fixer what they want you to do. So if you guys could edit your posts to reflect this that would be great. I know everyone is eager to get started, but please, let me run the game grinbig.gif
Moonstone Spider
Consider it edited.
A Clockwork Lime
Err, so is it okay that I worked the power outage into my post then? If not I can scratch it out real quick.
Shadow
No, that was clever. You as playrs have alot of knowledge that you as characters do not. This is knowledge that I want to doal out. If you just assume you have it you are taking away my thunder and sort of spoiling the game. SO bear with me and treat this like any other shadowrun game. Your characters are runners, there looking for work.
A Clockwork Lime
Ohh, okay, gotcha. Ignorance is something I can feign in abundance. It's a gift. biggrin.gif
Shadow
Lol.

Ok as soon as BGMFH and Crechebaby post we will move on to the next phase. Thank you all who edite your posts so timely, it is apreciated.
Shadow
*Phew* that was a lot of writing. You guys don't have to wait you can just assume the day passes and you head to the meet. Or if you want you can do things and wait for me to move it to the meet. Either way, by noon tomorrow the meeting will begin.
Morgannah
Heh, of course I'd post before reading this.... I'll write the next bit in an hour or two.

Glad to see us going somewhere! Thanks again, Shadow.
crechebaby
Survivor in 2064? The unspeakable horrors...

.. I can see it now.. Survivor Mars.. today, we're putting the tribes out on the martian surface for 30 seconds without their suits... oh no! the air lock has malfunctioned..

can you imagine the ratings?

(poached from Shadow.. he's the funny one, not me)
Morgannah
*smirks*

I'd still watch it. grinbig.gif
kevyn668
If its okay I'll probably use the DCRS to show what Chase is hauling around.

Question on that: there doesn't seem to be a spot for "Ammo". Can I just put the number of mags on his person and the number of mags in "storage"?

Shadow if you don't like me using the DCRS to show what he's carrying, just let me know and I'll add an IC about it.

[edit] Also, is there a way to see whats in the "Options" field of the gear section once I put stuff in AND is there a way to edit it w/o completely erasing it and re-entering? [/edit]
Shadow
The DCRS isn't really ment to be updated. You put stuff in once and it stays. I would prefere that you post OOC what you are carrying if you feel it is important. Just so you know I will ask you to post what you are are carrying when I feel it is important.
kevyn668
Works for me. smile.gif
Grey
I'll be joining the game, just wanted to say Hi. wavey.gif
A Clockwork Lime
And who are you again? Don't believe I've seen you around these here parts.
Grey
newbie.gif
kevyn668
Great. Another newb... nyahnyah.gif

Remember kiddo, "shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never deal with a snake head." wink.gif

Welcome Aboard. What are you playing?? If you don't mind me asking.

Shadow: In the future I'll make sure to post what I'm carrying either IC or OCC. Since you didn't ask for it this time I won't bother. (You seem to have a grasp of what Pres would carry around) Cool?

And thanks again. This is gonna rock!!! (or be so wizzer, if you savy SR wink.gif )
Grey
I'll be bring in Cougar, an ex-Wild Cat cybered combat machine.
kevyn668
So Ka...I'm familiar. wink.gif

He'll get along with Chase even better.
Shadow
Unless the other three post soon I am going to assume they show up without fanfair.

James - Human
Os - Human
Cougar - Ork

Moonstone Spider
Using Chemical Analyzer on the food at the meet.

Roll for Analyzer:
01 09 01 01 01 01 02 08 What the heck?

Roll for complimentary skill:
10 08 10 04 04 03

Is the Shadowrun dice roller program reliable? Those rolls seem weird to me.
A Clockwork Lime
Paranoia is a beautiful thing. smile.gif
Moonstone Spider
Paranoia? I thought it was just good common sense, like assuming all strangers are vampires or bug spirits until proven otherwise. . .
kevyn668
Paranoia? Do you mean the dice roller part or the chemical analyzer? biggrin.gif
Shadow
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)

Roll for Analyzer:

10 08 10 04 04 03

Is the Shadowrun dice roller program reliable? Those rolls seem weird to me.

depends on what one your using. I use the NSRCG's dice roller. I know the DCRS has one but I prefer the NSRCG.

If you do use a dice rolling program please only cut & paste the rolls themselves, not any other info.
A Clockwork Lime
I like using Irony Game's Shadowrun Dice Roller when playing online. It's entirely web-based and can be used anywhere you are. Pretty handy. smile.gif
Leowulf
The thing about dice roller programs, or any computerized dice roller for that matter, is that such devices use a mathematical computation to generate a number that mimics a 'random' value, although the rolls are never truly random. You have to be careful about how you use them, and some implementations are seemingly better than others. Sometimes, you'll get really odd sets of numbers from a computer dice roller. That's why I hate them.

If anyone who hasn't yet experimented with programming and a random number generator gets the opportunity, they should take it to see what I mean. Real dice are more random, and the numbers make more sense. That's why I like them.

The chances of rolling (4) 1s in a row is extraordinarily low, but I will conjecture that it is much higher with a computer dice roller, where the 'randomness' relies solely on some arbitrary constant, such as your PC's clock. If this is over anyone's head, don't worry. All I'm saying is that real dice are better. grinbig.gif
Shadow
I think we can all agree on that Leo smile.gif

Rolling real dice on my desk at work get's me strange looks from the University staff though wink.gif Not to mention my boss. frown.gif
Grey
Same here. I do all my posting from work. I think my boss would get a little upset if he kept hearing dice bouncing around on my desk. wink.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (Shadow)
I think we can all agree on that Leo smile.gif

Rolling real dice on my desk at work get's me strange looks from the University staff though wink.gif Not to mention my boss. frown.gif

You too, huh?

I still use real dice whenever possible. I try to only roll two at time preferably when the boss is elsewhere. The people I share an office with raise thier eyebrows but don't ask me to explain.
crechebaby
*picks up a big crown royal sack of dice and tosses it on her desk loudly*

my boss doesn't care, as long as I change her regularly, feed her often, and let her empty the contents of my desk on the floor.

grinbig.gif

Shadow
*LOL*

For those of you who have to have maps and references for everything...

Gate Tech Warehouse

And yes, it's a big empty building.
Shadow
So I am going to move things along and post here in a little bit.
Leowulf
Well, I can't always roll my dice on my desk at home either. Sometimes, my girlfriend, whom I live with, is sleeping. The bedroom is across the hall from my computer.

Here's what I do, and it seems to provide me with good results when I can't roll the dice the way that I want to:

Don't roll the dice on the carpet. It doesn't bounce enough to give you good rolls, and you might lose it.

Instead, tumble one die around in one of your hands a few times to make sure it's nice and shaken up.

Next, without looking, toss it into your other hand and let it settle onto one side. THEN, look at it. If it didn't settle onto a side, i.e. if it's resting on an edge in the fold of your palm, roll it again.
Shadow
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)

Roll for Analyzer:

10 08 10 04 04 03

The food is clean.
Shadow
No sigs in the IC please.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012