Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run & Gun is Live
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Sichr
QUOTE (Samoth @ May 2 2014, 02:51 PM) *
When you can charge $25+ for a PDF why bother spending money to release a physical book? Not saying that's what they're doing, but it may make sense from a business standpoint to move away from physical books entirely (though I seriously doubt that is their plan).

Given the quality they are able to produce recently all the time, Id say it is much better if they stick with electronic versions. At least you can torrent it and avoid yourself to pay those 25$ for pre-alpha versions
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ May 2 2014, 01:24 AM) *
And what, by all that's sacred, does THAT have to do with anything with printing?

Hard to actually pay for printing services if the cash flow is not where it should be. There is a Reason that POD is a big thing these days.
And there is a reason that Onyx path is so successful with it.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sichr @ May 2 2014, 06:05 AM) *
Given the quality they are able to produce recently all the time, Id say it is much better if they stick with electronic versions. At least you can torrent it and avoid yourself to pay those 25$ for pre-alpha versions

Out of Line... That is still no reason to Pirate stuff.
Shortstraw
Pirate first, buy later.
Grinder
Back to topic, dudes.
Sichr
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 2 2014, 04:02 PM) *
Out of Line... That is still no reason to Pirate stuff.

TBH I bought every Shadowrun book starting with SR4 core. Run&Gun is the first book my hessitation won over the love for the game and will to support its producers. So I cannot actually discuss what is in the book, as I haven`t bought it and I haven`t even pirated it, and reading about the book here and on tabletop forums is the only way I can get some info about progress. I wonder if anyone is redacting the content after the e-release of the book, erratting it, fixing contradictions etc.

Well...it is Hardy/CGL we are talking about.
So I guess the answer is NO.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Sichr @ May 3 2014, 02:02 AM) *
TBH I bought every Shadowrun book starting with SR4 core. Run&Gun is the first book my hessitation won over the love for the game and will to support its producers. So I cannot actually discuss what is in the book, as I haven`t bought it and I haven`t even pirated it, and reading about the book here and on tabletop forums is the only way I can get some info about progress. I wonder if anyone is redacting the content after the e-release of the book, erratting it, fixing contradictions etc.

Well...it is Hardy/CGL we are talking about.
So I guess the answer is NO.

To go by the core book and all releases since? Errata are a joke. We had freelancers compile a massive stack of errata for it, and lean as hard as they could on getting it published without even getting paid to do the work, and they didn't manage to get a quarter of it released. None of that in print, despite there being another printing in progress post-errata.

This is part of why I question their finances. Editorial work being neglected this badly is something that only happens in two cases. One, Hardy and the company figure we'll pay for anything they want to put out, so quality does not matter. Or two, they simply cannot afford either the time or the cost to actually proof and edit their products before release.

If someone's got a third reason for the shabby quality of these books, I'd love to hear it, because my conclusions are pretty demoralizing as a fan.
Umidori
Third option - criminal incompetance?

Instead of arrogantly believing the playerbase will pay for anything regardless of quality, it's possible they honestly don't see a problem with the quality of the materials they put out.

Although, that's probably the worst option of all. As the old saying goes, "Rogues are preferable to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest."

~Umi
hermit
Fourth option: the person doing the editorial work is not up to the job, doing the job part-time or beside other gigs, and just occasionally throws some stuff together and sends it to layout and printers.
Umidori
That still implies either negligence or incompetance on the part of the editor's employers. You don't just keep paying someone who screws up your products, unless you don't care about that for some reason.

Which brings us back to the question of what that reason is - either they think they can get away with shoveling drek, they can't afford to do anything but shovel drek, or they don't realize it's drek.

~Umi
Jaid
well considering their freelancers all seem to know it's drek, to the point where they (free of charge) compiled all the errata for them, I'm going to have to say I don't believe they're ignorant.
Umidori
Never underestimate the power of stupidity. There is no limit to how unbelievably ignorant (often willfully) people can be.

~Umi
hermit
That still implies either negligence or incompetance on the part of the editor's employers. You don't just keep paying someone who screws up your products, unless you don't care about that for some reason.

Or unless you have another reason to keep them employed. That reason can vary widely, from the person being a personal friend in need in an economy where they're extremely unlikely to find another job to support their wife and infant child, to the person knowing something about the company's owner that would harm the company when published (for the record, I'm not saying any of this is actually happening at CGL, just general ideas).
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (hermit @ May 11 2014, 06:21 AM) *
Or unless you have another reason to keep them employed. That reason can vary widely, from the person being a personal friend in need in an economy where they're extremely unlikely to find another job to support their wife and infant child, to the person knowing something about the company's owner that would harm the company when published (for the record, I'm not saying any of this is actually happening at CGL, just general ideas).

You'd be surprised how often this happens with doctors in medical groups too. Or maybe you wouldn't.
Grinder
Get back on topic, dude. As a reminder: the topic of this thread is the content of Run & Gun. You've discussed the editorial work long enough.
Prime Mover
15 Pages and search not turning up anything. Are HV rules missing from 5th edition?
Jaid
think i recall someone mentioning that there's a single gun that is HV (but no rules apart from that gun description). can't remember if it was GH3 or R&G though.
DWC
The Vindicator and HVAR both returned for Run and Gun. Neither includes any sort of rules for an improved rate of fire, which means that the two weapons are vastly inferior to anything else they compete with thanks to their awful damage codes.
adamu
Has anyone used the new hit location rules in actual play?
Do they work?

To me, they seem completely useless with those massive negative modifiers.
You're giving up three or four hits, that's three or four off your DV, and only IF you even can still score a net hit.

At first, I thought these might be useful for a high skill/low strength character, say, taking on some monster troll tank adversary. Even if little guy scored its, damage would be too low to do any good, so you can slow the beast down with low net hits and then those cool secondary effects.

But then I read that if their damage soak beats your net hits down, then you get no effects. So you are back to square one.

(As I read, I was figuring it was sort of like electrical melee attacks, where just a glancing blow could force all this big damage soak, etc. but apparently not so.)

So I am hoping someone has run some real numbers or tried it in real play, and can show me my impression is incorrect. I like systems that give more tactical options to the players than just hack and slash, but if they are just unworkable…(I can always just do a ton of regular damage and then throw in eye gouges and gonad stomps as fluff…).
Curator
i like that agile defender trait trading agility for willpower when using full defense
Meatbag
Maybe I'm half blind an' all stupid, but did we ever cover what the *other* balance reasons for double-Karma-after-chargen Qualities were? Other than nerfing Mystic Adepts a bit?

Because if anything breaks from just ignoring it, I'd like to know.

And..Actually, how does it corral Mystic Adepts? As noted, their power points get *significantly* more expensive after chargen (13+ Karma per Initiation) vs. 2 5 Karma at chargen. Take 10 points of shameless powergrab disadvantages and get 'em before they go out of style - blow 30 Karma on Power Points, get a Mentor Spirit, be happy with your free spells.

It puts them in a slightly tighter bind, yeah, because they're 30 precious Chargen Karma behind Adepts or Mages, but the correct answer is still "frontload the stuff that's gonna get real expensive later, then get the stuff that won't, as much." Which is, in my experience, the problem with using a superior Chargen Currency and an inferior In-Game Currency.

Also, back to the book we're supposed to be talking about! Ma'Fan weeps at the lack of ceramic knives and the vastly decreased quality of Cougar Fineblades,. Seriously, ceramic knives are a Snow Crash classic, perfect for pesky scanners - and all the other sneaky stuff is out of reach at chargen, so I would've liked to see them back.

While I'm at it, where's my shot selector system? C'mon! That's one of the few *cool* parts about using a revolver in SR, and it's not here anymore. And speaking of gun mods, we were promised three in Gun Heaven (Melee Hardening, Trigger Removal, Electronic Firing) but they're nowhere to be found, even through Gun Kata uses Melee Hardened guns.

And um..Why are there two versions of Gun Fu now? Firefight WAS Gun Kata back in the day, and now Firefight's some kinda Military Combative thing (I thought that was called Krav Maga, silly me, but Krav Maga doesn't even have any techniques for CQB with guns).

Overall, I'd like to have seen more old favorites back, like ceramic knives, gun mods and a vehicle section. A lot of ink could've been saved by ditching the gimmicks like..Combat chainsaws. two different kinds of archery, chakram fighting(?!?), chainmail and armored spacesuits. There comes a point where you have to ask yourself "this is neat, but how many people will actually use it?"
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
There is no reason for Double Karma after chargen (Especially since the "Karma" you spend in chargen is not all that efficient) for Qualities, balance or otherwise. Nothing breaks if you trash that in the shredder bin.
JesterZero
TJ is right. And as a general rule, using equivalent economies in both pre-chargen and post-chargen generally solves problems in game design.

I've used this houserule since about 2008; off the top of my head, I'd say it's been an unalloyed good.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Meatbag @ Jun 12 2014, 05:37 AM) *
Also, back to the book we're supposed to be talking about! Ma'Fan weeps at the lack of ceramic knives and the vastly decreased quality of Cougar Fineblades,. Seriously, ceramic knives are a Snow Crash classic, perfect for pesky scanners - and all the other sneaky stuff is out of reach at chargen, so I would've liked to see them back.

Remember, part of Catalyst's design ethos is to move -away- from Cyberpunk. Besides, the impression I've gotten from playing SR5 is that there is supposed to be such a security panopticon between the Matrix and wireless cameras everywhere that just defeating scanners isn't something most people will bother with.

The Cougars getting worse is sad, though. They've been a standby.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Jun 13 2014, 07:04 AM) *
Remember, part of Catalyst's design ethos is to move -away- from Cyberpunk. Besides, the impression I've gotten from playing SR5 is that there is supposed to be such a security panopticon between the Matrix and wireless cameras everywhere that just defeating scanners isn't something most people will bother with.

The Cougars getting worse is sad, though. They've been a standby.

Que? I can safely say that, no, there's no desire to move away from Cyberpunk from the crew either beside me or above. Pulling back some from Transhumanism, yes, but Cyberpunk as a whole is kinda the *goal*. That's for a whole other topic tho.

If there're any on-topic questions here, I'll happily answer where I can, but my contribution on this one was prety small. I need to pick up a copy for myself; it's teh one book I don't have over the past two years or so.
Fabe
My FLGS just got some copies in. Any know how the editing/proof reading turned out in this one?
Sendaz
Originally it was supposed to be Gun & Run, but due to a snafu with editing it came out Run & Gun so they just went with that. nyahnyah.gif
binarywraith
Pretty sure it was actually Goon and Rune.
Uli
Or Rum & Gum?
psychophipps
QUOTE (Fabe @ Jul 8 2014, 08:40 AM) *
My FLGS just got some copies in. Any know how the editing/proof reading turned out in this one?

SNAFU
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Jul 10 2014, 11:21 AM) *
SNAFU

FUBAR!!! smile.gif cool.gif
Sendaz
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 10 2014, 01:41 PM) *
FUBAR!!! smile.gif cool.gif

BOHICA! biggrin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 10 2014, 11:48 AM) *
BOHICA! biggrin.gif

Yep, that too. sarcastic.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jul 10 2014, 09:48 AM) *
BOHICA! biggrin.gif

A little too apt I think.
Sendaz
They say the Line Dev has cold, cold hands. eek.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Too..... Much....... Information............... eek.gif eek.gif
Fabe
QUOTE (psychophipps @ Jul 10 2014, 01:21 PM) *
SNAFU

OK,how about some details. are we talking minor stuff this time around or just as bad as the core book? is it still usable or do we have to comb though a unofficial FAQ/errata just to find out how something works ?
psychophipps
QUOTE (Fabe @ Jul 10 2014, 04:34 PM) *
OK,how about some details. are we talking minor stuff this time around or just as bad as the core book? is it still usable or do we have to comb though a unofficial FAQ/errata just to find out how something works ?

Worse than the core book if reports are to be trusted. I don't own either because, well...these reports I keep hearing from others jumping on these grenades keeps me from wasting my very limited discretionary funds.
X-Kalibur
I bought the PDF of Run and Gun and was really disappointed by it. The core book wasn't so bad I didn't think, but the supplements are draining my desire to move to SR5.
DeathStrobe
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jul 11 2014, 01:42 PM) *
I bought the PDF of Run and Gun and was really disappointed by it. The core book wasn't so bad I didn't think, but the supplements are draining my desire to move to SR5.

Really? What didn't you like about it?

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't clear up how to mod guns on what's considered integral and not. I've been going nuts trying to figure out those damn modding rules.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (DeathStrobe @ Jul 11 2014, 10:38 PM) *
Really? What didn't you like about it?

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't clear up how to mod guns on what's considered integral and not. I've been going nuts trying to figure out those damn modding rules.

Namely that it wasn't on the level of Arsenal or Cannon Companion, let alone Fields of Fire. It doesn't have enough crunch and a good portion of the crunch it did have didn't feel terribly useful. Thanks for the 20 or so pages of maneuvers most people won't touch though...
Moirdryd
Why wouldn't people touch them?
Uli
You need very good dice pools to get these maneuvers pst usual defenses - and still cause an effect, I think.
Moirdryd
Depends on the manoeuvre but that's the price for an added effect and/or getting around armour.
adamu
Some of the maneuvers are fair value for the karma cost.

But most of them, and virtually all the called shot options, are just pointless.

Yes, there should be a cost to things, but when the cost is so prohibitively high that it is virtually always to your advantage to go with a straight-up damaging or subduing attack, then there is no reason to have them.

Yeah, if you get really lucky they can provide some nice flavor, but then if you lay the smackdown on someone with a regular attack, you can always just fluff up the description through roll-play.

I have to concur that most of these moves are abysmal value for cost, if not outright worthless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012