Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shouldn't Sorcery Default to Intelligence?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Gilthanis
I got to thinking the other day about the Sorcery skill. Yes it finally has more purpose in 3rd Edition, but shouldn't it be like ALL the other skills? It is one of the few skills next to Conjuring that you CAN NOT default to the attribute to use. I could have a full mage that say has other interests like maybe decking. Since he wouldn't spend the majority of his time on magic, most people would say lower the sorcery skill to reflect this. Then comes the question, what if he never gets training? Shouldn't he still be able to cast the magic only having the +4 to the target numbers? I would consider the Sorcery skill to be more of a fine tuning and understanding, not just you can't cast without it. The books even talk about people accidently summoning spirits or children playing with imaginary friends that end up being conjured spirits. Why can't the game mechanics represent this by giving you the option of defaulting?

P.S. If the book does allow this, please tell me where.
Herald of Verjigorm
Unconciously controlled magic is a case of a person's will creating an effect just because it is what the person desires at the time. Still not intelligence, and much more extremely reduced in general usefulness than defaulting from clubs to strength in most cases. Actually knowing what you are doing, and being able to get a repeatable result requires investing enough time to count as a skill, even if just a 1 in the skill.
Kanada Ten
The problem is you have to create a whole list of new rules dealing with casting spells you haven't learned with a skill you don't have.

One could do this, but it would alter the nature of magicians because they would no longer have to learn spells to cast them. They would simply raise whatever stats that mechanically drive the new sorcery system and thus not be the karma vacuums and thus become more powerful than now.

Accidental magic is more of a story device to me than some cheap dice mechanic.
Gilthanis
Ok, then consider this. I have a skill of one allowing me to cast any spells. Can I default to Willpower instead for more dice. I have a 6 Willpower. That would be a more significant amount of dice depending on the spell when looking for number of successes.
Herald of Verjigorm
No, but you can use spell pool which is partly based on intelligence.

Remember, sorcery is willpower linked, not intelligence linked. Spell pool uses that too.
Kanada Ten
I have a skill of one allowing me to cast any spells. Can I default to Willpower instead for more dice.

Isn't the maximum force of a spell limited to the caster's Sorcery rating anyway? And I might allow you to default to Willpower to cast if you had Sorcery and learned a spell, but expect a +4 drain target number. That seems like a reasonable trade off to not worry about botching.
Gilthanis
Hmmm.... Still of 1 + spell pool 1 (maximum dice from pools = skill) = 2 dice or Willpower 6 = 6 dice w/ +4 target numbers. When casting a spell that is more effective by the number of successes, Could I default to the attribute or is it prohibited?
Fygg Nuuton
if you have the skill you cannot default

all magic skills cannot be defaulted to the attribute
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
QUOTE]
Isn't the maximum force of a spell limited to the caster's Sorcery rating anyway? And I might allow you to default to Willpower to cast if you had Sorcery and learned a spell, but expect a +4 drain target number. That seems like a reasonable trade off to not worry about botching.

No. You can learn any number force spell you think you can roll the target number for. It just makes it easier having more dice to gain successes and reduce the time it takes to learn by having a higher skill and foci dice. (Yes foci can be used to learn spells per a recent e-mail received from the Shadowrun website.)
Da9iel
Kanada Ten:
You are perhaps confusing learning a spell with designing a spell formula.
QUOTE (MITS p. 48)
A designer cannot create a spell formula with a Force higher than his Spell Design Knowlege Skill (or the default skill) or the rating of his Sorcery library or shamanic lodge, whichever is lower.

[EDIT]But this does introduce the same problem of an untrained magic user casting a spell when he or she was taught nothing of magic as is mentioned in the flavor text.[/EDIT]
Kanada Ten
But this does introduce the same problem of an untrained magic user casting a spell when he or she was taught nothing of magic as is mentioned in the flavor text.

Not really, since we don't know that they actually cast a spell per se. Rather they caused a phenomenon that looked like a spell. It is likely they built up some kind of charge (physical and emotional - which is why expression usually happens at puberty) that was released without any control. I wouldn't call that defaulting to an attribute personally.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
if you have the skill you cannot default

Yes, you can. You always have the option of choosing whatever method you think will be most beneficial to you.
Gilthanis
But everything is based off the Attribute itself. Just because I can shoot a gun doesn't mean I know how it physically operates inside. That is the idea of the Sorcery skill which is to have a deeper understanding and therefore making it "more" effective. Kinda like learning a gun skill, yet I don't need a gun skill to know how to point and shoot and I don't need a gun skill to understand how a gun works (a.k.a. pull the trigger). I agree this concept arrises the problem with how spells are learned, but the idea is that if I have learned the spell, I already have what it takes to know how to cast it. Couldn't I elect to take a higher target number in order to have more possible successes by defaulting just like EVERY other skill? (This question really is for Conjuring as well)
Ol' Scratch
Personally, I have no problem with allowing Sorcery to be defaulted to. You still have to have learned the spell just like anyone else, the only change is that you have no formal training in using all the secret tricks and tips to help you focus your will as effectively as a more formal magician would to help you cast your spell -- you're basically relying on raw, untamed emotion to make the formula work.

Considering all the penalties for defaulting to an Attribute (+4 to target numbers, maximum TN of 8, no Spell Pool, etc.) it's hardly game-breaking or even remotely game-bending. Same goes for Conjuring.

However, I wouldn't link either to Intelligence. As mentioned, that's used to learn the spell in the first place. If anything, I would switch Conjuring to Charisma since most of it has to deal with bargaining and cajoling the spirit into following your will. I'd then change the Drain Resistance for Conjuring back to Willpower due to the exhaustiveness of the action. Having the Drain Resistance being Charisma linked is the weird part of the whole thing...
Kanada Ten
Couldn't I elect to take a higher target number in order to have more possible successes by defaulting just like EVERY other skill?

Not in my opinion because neither works like any other skill. No other skill causes drain (other abilities perhaps, but not skills). Neither should be useable without knowing secrets, rituals, rights, formulas, and etcetera that took hundreds and thousands of years to refine and just discover. The whole concept cheapens magic and magical flavor.
Ol' Scratch
You can't cast any spell without knowing the spell formula regardless of whether you're trained in Sorcery or not. *That's* where the real knowledge of spellcasting is found, not the tricks in honing their casting which is what Sorcery represents.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
You can't cast any spell without knowing the spell formula regardless of whether you're trained in Sorcery or not. *That's* where the real knowledge of spellcasting is found, not the tricks in honing their casting which is what Sorcery represents.

I really just don't agree with that. But then I think the game should require everything be learned in the manner of skill + specific use (Car + Ford Americar, Sorcery + Manabolt, Conjuring + City Spirit) or eliminate the secondary for only Sorcery. In fact, I'd be more willing to allow one to cast spells they don't know in a manner similar to defaulting than allowing one to default without having Sorcery at all.
tjn
QUOTE (Gilthanis)
yet I don't need a gun skill to know how to point and shoot and I don't need a gun skill to understand how a gun works

I don't know about shamanic magic, but for hermeticism, it just wouldn't work since Knowledge is one of the major principals of Hermeticism (the others being Ability, Will, and Identity).

Consider hermetic theory like that of a road trip. The individual needs to have a car (the ability), the desire to get to where he's going (the Will), understanding where he's going (Identity), and a road map to get him from where he is to where he wants to be (Knowledge).

A Hermetic Mage can have all the desire to do what he wants, but without the road map of knowledge to get him from desire to action, there is no telling to where the Mage may end up, or what effects his attempt at magery might cause.

But as far as game balance, allowing it isn't going to cause some flood of munchkins.
Ol' Scratch
That's fair. But canonical material already suggests that you can conjure spirits and cast spells without having Conjuring or Sorcery -- read the fluff for discovering that you're a magician sometime. Children, upon reaching puberty, often materalize invisible friends or cast some kind of spell out of pure instinct. That's pretty much defaulting (but also lends credence to casting spells without the formula to boot which would actually be the overpowered part in my opinion).
Kanada Ten
Children, upon reaching puberty, often materalize invisible friends or cast some kind of spell out of pure instinct.

I would say they do not do it from pure instinct. Rather it happens outside of their conscious control all together. It is a biological channeling of mana not a defaulting to their attribute. It's something more akin to Goblinization only the result of biological and chemical stresses on the body and soul of the person, not something of their mind or intent, which I feel is key to defaulting (or the use of a skill).
Ol' Scratch
Oh, I disagree. It's definitely about intent, especially the description of defensive spellcasting. A little girl being tormented suddenly screaming "GO AWAY!" followed by a wave of telekinetic force knocking her tormentors back ten feet is not just your body going "yanno what, I think I'll wake up today."

Defaulting with Sorcery or Conjuring would be much the same thing, albeit following a formula. You're essentially relying on your raw emotion to get the job done rather than ritual and meditation, but you're still following all the steps in the process. You're also still going to completely SUCK --and suck hard -- compared to a more formally trained magician, but you can do it in a pinch.

And that's the entire point of defaulting.

EDIT: Here's an example. Compare two magicians, both are identical in all ways (Willpower 6, Spell Pool 6, Magic 6, Powerbolt 6) but one, named Formal Magician, has Sorcery 6 while the other doesn't. They're both targeting two different people who are also identical and have, say, Body 3. Formal Magician will be rolling up to 12 dice with a target number of 3 and will likely get six or more successes on his test. Untrained Newbie is rolling a whopping 6 dice against a TN of 7 and might get a single success and thus just barely hurt the guy.
Gilthanis
Here is another good point I made to Brazila by Instant Messenger. After discussion of it's possibilities, a full mage could dump all their sorcery dice and spell pool dice into spell defense. Suddenly, combat breaks out not giving the Mage time to reallocate. By taking a +4 target number, the mage could still cast spells without reallocating and using spell defense dice. Thus doubling your effectiveness as a spell defense/conjurer mage, because not only do you have all of your dice for defending, but you could still cast with virtual free dice.

Edit] Unless of course the GM gives the reallocation of dice as a freebie to prevent cheese.
Kanada Ten
We're going to have to agree to disagree then simply because I can't agree. One can default whenever they desire. One cannot accidently channel mana on command.

A little girl being tormented suddenly screaming "GO AWAY!" followed by a wave of telekinetic force knocking her tormentors back ten feet is not just your body going "yanno what, I think I'll wake up today."

See, I would say that's exactly what the body is saying. Every ounce of stress in the body resonates with the pressure in the soul and releases something. If the body releases the mana you become a magician, if the body absorbs it you become an adept.
Gilthanis
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Oct 26 2004, 10:36 PM)
We're going to have to agree to disagree then simply because I can't agree.  One can default whenever they desire.  One cannot accidently channel mana on command.

A little girl being tormented suddenly screaming "GO AWAY!" followed by a wave of telekinetic force knocking her tormentors back ten feet is not just your body going "yanno what, I think I'll wake up today."

See, I would say that's exactly what the body is saying. Every ounce of stress in the body resonates with the pressure in the soul and releases something. If the body releases the mana you become a magician, if the body absorbs it you become an adept.

So after Dragons of the 6th World implying that dragons don't learn formulas and possibly just tap straight into mana and cast what they want to couldn't EVER possibly happen to anyone else even if unintentionally for a brief moment. Considering that the act itself makes the person aware of the magic and kinda surges in a since opening the channels of magic towards the type of mage/adept the person can be with "todays" magical knowledge/training techniques.

Edit] I would have to say that the initial emotional expression in the example is more along the lines implied by the magic dragons use to awaken the character in concept.
toturi
If I was to allow Defaulting, I'll allow defaulting only to Magic Attribute. It doesn't matter how Intelligent or how strong Willed you are, if you simply aint got the mojo.

On the other hand if you are simply bursting at the seams with Magic, it will leak out unconsciously, even if you don't know about it.
tjn
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
That's fair.  But canonical material already suggests that you can conjure spirits and cast spells without having Conjuring or Sorcery -- read the fluff for discovering that you're a magician sometime.  Children, upon reaching puberty, often materalize invisible friends or cast some kind of spell out of pure instinct.  That's pretty much defaulting (but also lends credence to casting spells without the formula to boot which would actually be the overpowered part in my opinion).

MitS also suggests that a child doing that is a rare event, and that it usually happens during a time of stress.

My best guess as to what's happening is that the desire or Will reaches a point in which Knowledge isn't needed to direct the Will to accomplish what it wants since anything will satisfy that desire. The mage will have no control over the effects, but something will happen.

To continue the car metaphor, it's akin to just getting into the car and driving, and there is no way to know where the mage will end up.

This can lead to a host of very many interesting stories, but it is not a way in which to default to an Attribute in order to cast a specific spell.
Stumps
[edit]

WARNING::Massive Arguing Continues For Next Page And A Half.
For finality on the house rule, look to PAGE 4.

Click HERE to go to the post now.
[/edit]

I've always had a little bit of a stiff with SR over it's direct seperation between hermetic and shamanic. That's all I'll say on that issue since it doesn't directly relate....

On topic:

It seems justifiable to pose that eventual mages have a tendency to be able to feel, show, or in some form or another suggest the inate ability to use magic.
Thus being the proposed case, could explain teachers and pupils, prodigies, and similar relations.

Anyone can be a musician, but there are some who simply have a lean towards it more than others. However, both the common and the prodigy musician can both become better at music with formal learning.

The natural ability in Magic:
A more direct comparison is to say that anybody can pick up a guitar and make noise on it. It most likely will not be anything resembling music, but rather notatable sound in a rather crude and un-nerving fashion.

The Prodigy:
Some of these people who will pick up this guitar (not many and would be more like a heavy costing Edge to be a prodigy in magic) can pick up a guitar and start off making pure horrid noise but shortly thereafter begin to play formatable patterns of notes and continue on within the week to making whole parts of simple songs.

The self learned mage:
The great multitude of people out there tend to self teach guitar rather than attend a class right off the bat to learn. Their musicianship may turn out to be rather crude for a year or a number of years depending on their ability (defaulting), but eventually simply from practice (though not academically) they become a "lamen-master" like many rock guitar "heros" (Kurt Cobain is a prime example of such a self taught musician who became a "lamen-master"). These style of musicians will usually never be as capable or formatable as their scholastic counter-parts, but it should never be mistaken that their music is not good. (much to say that a "lamen-master" of magic would be dangerous to assume as not-dangerous.)

The scholastic musician:
The most powerful musician is the scholastic musician as they have the knowledge behind the simple desire and "tinkering" to learn every angle of their art that they can so that they can be more versatile in their ability. Having a teacher forces them to practice aspects of guitar that they would otherwise shy away from because perhaps they are a lazy student (scales are a good example). At the end of the training a normal musician will be a formatable guitarist and a prodigy will be a near legend amongst many.

Conclusion
So using this comparison, a mage could be seen to be able to cast spells without studying them, but I would propose that, much like guitar where most self-taught musicians will either only be able to play their own music or only be able to play their version of a song, the self-taught mage or non-educated mage would be casting spells that are player/GM created spells and if they are trying to cast a spell that they might have heard about or seen somewhere then they would be casting a variation of that spell at (at least) 2 levels below the original version of the spell.

That's my study of the idea of this.
Gilthanis
The idea of this isn't to just miraculously pull spells the mage doesn't know yet out their butt. It is more of a game mechanic fix that gives another option that EVERY other non-magical skill has in the game. Granted this isn't something that would come up all too often. I like the analogy you made. The skill difference in scholastic and self taught works for me which is why defaulting gives a +4 anyways.

So, the majority say that defaulting isn't a big deal because of the heavy +4 penalties. The requirement to have a skill at all is still up to debate since you could still default to willpower to learn the spell even though the +4 penalty makes it extremely tough to learn any decent level spell.

Any more ideas. This is good feedback.
Stumps
QUOTE (Gilthanis)
The requirement to have a skill at all is still up to debate since you could still default to willpower to learn the spell even though the +4 penalty makes it extremely tough to learn any decent level spell.

I actually was hitting on two aspects in the same analogy.

As Doc was saying earlier, which you are questioning now about needing skills,
QUOTE (Doc.)
Personally, I have no problem with allowing Sorcery to be defaulted to. You still have to have learned the spell just like anyone else, the only change is that you have no formal training in using all the secret tricks and tips to help you focus your will as effectively as a more formal magician would to help you cast your spell -- you're basically relying on raw, untamed emotion to make the formula work.

I agree with Doc completely, but I'm seeing this ability to cast the spell in three levels.

1) No Skill.
2) Self-taught
3) Scholastic

*While 1 is a completely defaulted version of 3 and has a pretty severe penalty (possibly even a little more than +4?) to casting and/or has missing elements to what the spell normally does and/or has a higher rate of doing something you may not have intended (perhaps you only need to return half of your dice rolls back as ones to make a critical failure instead of all of them?)

*2 is where I reffer to the idea of a player/GM made spell because a self-taught spell is always going to be different than that of the Scholastic version. It is possible to make these spells less efficient in drain cost (because of the lack of "tips and tricks") as well so that no other balance system needs to be implaced to keep players from "ubermunching" Scholastic spells in a Self-taught version just so they can tweek an aspect.

*3 is finally where we see the standard issue of a Skill in Sorcery and learned spells with a formatable education in magic that is what we are used to as the SR norm for magic.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Gilthanis)
It is more of a game mechanic fix that gives another option that EVERY other non-magical skill has in the game.

Psst. If you want to give a better example, point to the Aura Reading skill. Anyone capable of astral perception has the uncanny ability to read anyone's aura just by looking at them -- no formal training required whatsoever. And in fact, even if you have formal training, it still doesn't compare to your gut instinct since they only provide one additional success per two successes rolled while your natural ability (Intelligence) grants you succcesses on a 1:1 ratio.

Apparently, it's significantly easier to just sorta assume that a hazy blue pattern with sharp green spikes means so-and-so, but knowing that it means so-and-so is only half as effective. It's also easier to assume that than it is to follow the instructions listed for a spell formula and rely on your same natural instincts and ability to conjure it into existance. Go figure.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Stumps)
I agree with Doc completely, but I'm seeing this ability to cast the spell in three levels.

1) No Skill.
2) Self-taught
3) Scholastic

So Scholastic mages never learn a thing on their own? I've always just assumed type 3) mages, as you've described them, just have a higher Skill rating. It's not like you can't earn ranks in a skill through self-study; it's just not as easy as having a teacher.

The little girl casting Powerbolt I'd say was defaulting to Willpower for casting--which I agree with the others that say you can do that--and is casting a spell that she, somewhere down the line, learned without ever knowing she learned it. How did she learn it? Who knows; maybe she defaulted with Spell Design and came up with it on her own; maybe a free spirit taught her in her dreams, who cares? The point is, by the RAW you can't cast a spell you don't know, and unless you allow one of these Path of Will mages as a house-rule there really is no basis for a mage casting a spell without knowing the spell. So she must have somehow known how to cast the spell, without ever actually learning it. This is why cases like that are so rare.

As for the thought that spells can have different Drain codes and the like depending on the skill of the spell-crafter, I'm not sure I like that idea. Regardless of how skillful a mage is at crafting a spell, there is already an established minimum Drain for a spell; you certainly can't make a good roll on Spell Design and reduce, say, Improved Invisability's Drain Code to Light instead of Medium. I conjecture that spells, no matter how well or poorly worded, will always end up having the same--or at least, not noticably different--effects for the same amount of Drain. The backlash seems to be, in the RAW, a direct consequence of the spell itself, a law of magical physics that you cn't get around through art.
Stumps
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
As for the thought that spells can have different Drain codes and the like depending on the skill of the spell-crafter, I'm not sure I like that idea. Regardless of how skillful a mage is at crafting a spell, there is already an established minimum Drain for a spell; you certainly can't make a good roll on Spell Design and reduce, say, Improved Invisability's Drain Code to Light instead of Medium. I conjecture that spells, no matter how well or poorly worded, will always end up having the same--or at least, not noticably different--effects for the same amount of Drain. The backlash seems to be, in the RAW, a direct consequence of the spell itself, a law of magical physics that you cn't get around through art.

I answer with my proposed concept...
QUOTE (Stumps)
It is possible to make these spells less efficient in drain cost (because of the lack of "tips and tricks") as well so that no other balance system needs to be implaced to keep players from "ubermunching" Scholastic spells in a Self-taught version just so they can tweek an aspect.

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
So Scholastic mages never learn a thing on their own? I've always just assumed type 3) mages, as you've described them, just have a higher Skill rating. It's not like you can't earn ranks in a skill through self-study; it's just not as easy as having a teacher.

No. You are looking at 1, 2, and 3 as if they were a red brick, white brick, and black brick.
I am looking at them as if they are child, teenager, and adult.

The idea was based off of the analogy that I gave of the guitar learning.
Comming from no skill at something but relying on raw natural ability and moving on up to self-teaching, and furthering that off with scholastic teaching.
Could this be represented in the already present 1-6 skill ratings?
Yes, of course it can. That was somewhat the aim I think.

Can it be flurished better to what Gilthanis is looking for?
Yes, it can. Quite easily if you change your perspective a little bit on what 1-6 skill level means. You just make it mean 1-6 Scholastic points (or rather years in formal learning type of concept.)

Remember, no one is saying that SR is absolutely broken.
A player is saying that they don't like the present way it exists in a given aspect and that they would like something else for it.
We, as a helping community, simply have the ability and (personally I like to think "obligation") to help them figure out a positive, and functional alternative to the standard they don't like.

My final point is this, "No" is not a valid reply to Gilthanis' threaded question simply because he wants a different system. You can't very well tell him "No, you can't have one.", but you can help him find the best one that makes credible sense in a comprimised manner between cannon and what he wants.
Stumps
Actually...you know what?

I challenge everyone who has said "No" to this thread to beat my proposal.
Make a better alternative.
If you think Gilthanis' idea is not possible...what is?

Are you able to make such an alternative?
toturi
No, such a proposal is not Canon.

nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif
Fortune
I don't think anyone is stating that he can't have a system that reflects what he wants as a house rule. I do think it's somewhat important to know what the canon ruling is first so that any house-rule has some basis of consistancy.

Personally, I don't like the idea of defaulting to Willpower to cast a spell that is not already known, but if it is already known, knock yourself out (literally biggrin.gif). I think if it happened in my game, I might chuck a modifier to Drain on top to reflect the extra concentration/work required.

One thing I definitely would not allow was the idea that was listed whereby the Mage assigns his Sorcery and Spell Pool to Spell Defence and then defaults to Willpower for spellcasting basically for free. That's just pure cheese!
Stumps
QUOTE (toturi)
No, such a proposal is not Canon.

nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif

Usually book-burning represents a confinement of thought or oppression.
But in this case... ...burn it. vegm.gif
Stumps
QUOTE (Fortune)
I don't think anyone is stating that he can't have a system that reflects what he wants as a house rule. I do think it's somewhat important to know what the canon ruling is first so that any house-rule has some basis of consistancy.

Personally, I don't like the idea of defaulting to Willpower to cast a spell that is not already known, but if it is already known, knock yourself out (literally biggrin.gif). I think if it happened in my game, I might chuck a modifier to Drain on top to reflect the extra concentration/work required.

You're right...No one has said he can't have it. I went a little far there.

But pretty consistant are the posts that simply restate the canon ruling on it basically implying that it can't be done because it's not canon.
I agree with you on needing it stated...but over and over?

Also, I'm keeping my personal choices on this rule out of it, as I usually like to do, so I won't say what I think of the idea itself.

QUOTE (Fortune)
One thing I definitely would not allow was the idea that was listed whereby the Mage assigns his Sorcery and Spell Pool to Spell Defence and then defaults to Willpower for spellcasting basically for free. That's just pure cheese!

Now we're getting somewhere. Discussion.

Is there anyway that this concept could be made possible? (whether you like it or not personally...just look for balance wink.gif )
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Stumps @ Oct 27 2004, 10:32 AM)
My final point is this, "No" is not a valid reply to Gilthanis' threaded question simply because he wants a different system.  You can't very well tell him "No, you can't have one.", but you can help him find the best one that makes credible sense in a comprimised manner between cannon and what he wants.

On the contrary, it doesn't seem that he particularly wants to make a bunch of house-rules so much as he wants to make the rules themselves consistent with his perception of the SR game world. What I'm trying to show is that the rules themselves *are* already internally consistent, and that it's much easier to simply alter his own interpretation of the flavor text than it is to perform a rewrite of the rules.

I challenge everyone who has said "No" to this thread to beat my proposal.
Make a better alternative.

As for considering your "proposal", well, what proposal? All you've offered up so far are a series of half-formed assertions which you're trying to pass off as flavor text for an alternate ruleset. You advocate no actual concrete alternate ruleset, and you provide no arguments as to why your absent ruleset is better than the canon one, or if it is at all. What is it you want us to consider?

(Edit): Perhaps I should be more specific. You mention *maybe* changing the drain code one or two levels (Drain levels? Drain Power?) if a "self-taught" mage casts a spell he has received no formal trainning in. Does this mean your proposed self-taught mages can learn these inefficient spells for free? less/more Karma than "scholastic" mages? or do they not need to learn them at all in order to cast them?

You also mention changing skill levels in Sorcery to "Scholastic points". What does this mean? What effect does it have? How/why is Sorcery or magic skills in general so special that self-teaching these are different than self-teaching other skills?
Stumps
I profess that my proposal is nothing better than canon, nor do I profess to have a completed set of rule for an alternative past anything on a conceptual level.

So...it should be a pretty easy task to beat wink.gif

QUOTE (Gilthanis)
So, the majority say that defaulting isn't a big deal because of the heavy +4 penalties. The requirement to have a skill at all is still up to debate since you could still default to willpower to learn the spell even though the +4 penalty makes it extremely tough to learn any decent level spell.

Any more ideas.
This is good feedback.
Stumps
(Edit): Perhaps I should be more specific. You mention *maybe* changing the drain code one or two levels (Drain levels? Drain Power?) if a "self-taught" mage casts a spell he has received no formal trainning in. Does this mean your proposed self-taught mages can learn these inefficient spells for free? less/more Karma than "scholastic" mages? or do they not need to learn them at all in order to cast them?

You also mention changing skill levels in Sorcery to "Scholastic points". What does this mean? What effect does it have? How/why is Sorcery or magic skills in general so special that self-teaching these are different than self-teaching other skills?

Ah...great stuff, now discussion.

The idea is not to let the "self-taught" mages learn the spells for "free", but to instead be ...alotted?...only a certain amount of them (maybe like adpets and powers????) ...(perhaps to complex on that...) anyways, the idea is for the spell to have a higher drain on the caster than it would normally have since the caster has no skill at controlling the spell.

"Scholastic" was a term I was using to make a seperation between having a skill and not having a skill, where having a Skill 1 would be to have learned some taught form of magic.
Gilthanis
I personally don't like the idea of seperating self-taught and scholastic. There are some things that a teacher just can't give you or an establishment. Look back at the example of the guitar. If we all just learned from an institution to create music, we would only have a select few forms such as classical because anything else would be seen as uneducated and dumb. I personally have self-taught myself a great deal about computers (I have worked on them for years) and went to college and realized they were teaching me nothing and in fact many students teach the professors at times. So basing effectiveness of spells on scholastics is absurd.

Second, region can also severely impact how you are taught. Look at Voodoo. I don't know of many institutions that "blood magic" but some groups may.

People have the potential to teach themselves to a higher degree. Where did lightbulbs come from again. I'm sure that the institution didn't teach that first. It was pioneered.

The concept of a higher skill in sorcery is to be more effective at casting the spells you know. As my point earlier stated. I can shoot a gun the first time I try. It just becomes more accurate with practice (which is where skill and skill level comes in). So by having a skill it isn't specific to a spell but more how spells are controlled and manipulated for efficiency purposes. By defaulting to Willpower, that significantly reduces the chances of successes based off target number but possibly could (depending on your skill) be increased by the total possible dice.
Stumps
Alright, so scratch the self-taught idea and mix it in with the pretitled "scholastic".

So effectively so far...
No Skill = Defaulting with a penatly (+4 or more??)
With Skill = as per norm

The only question left is simply...besides the "+4", what happens to the spell?
It's been discussed a bit in here, but is the spell the same spell, or a malformed version of that spell?

Is there a "quick" way to 'malform' a spell from the books into what a no-skill magic caster would cast if we take that angle?
Ol' Scratch
It's the same spell. Your skill (educated or self-learned) at casting it decides how effective and well its cast... and that doesn't change with defaulting.
tjn
Once again, casting spells is not analogous to shooting a gun. The assumption is wrong. A mage with no skill, a mage without the knowledge of how to direct the mana or how to beseech their totem properly, can not cast spells.

To address the tangent of self taught vs instruction: there is only one difference between a self taught skill and one learned "scholastically." One PC simply spends his Karma on his own while the other PC learns with the help of someone with the Instruction skill.

That's it.
Stumps
Doc: ok, makes sense.

tjn: read my sig. (and read abve)

I was wondering though...should it be more possible for a no skill mage to critically fail considering that they are casting wildly powers without trained control?
Ol' Scratch
That should be true with anyone defaulting. If you want to include it as a universal house rule, just change it so that if all the dice are five! (when defaulting to an Attribute) or less, you critically fumbled... but only if you failed to achieve the goal. Or modify it to some other number. Honestly, I'd go with 3's or less across the board, but that's just me.
Brazila
By Cannon you can't but, I don't see a balance issue so I would allow it. But I would not allow the caster to apply any MM techs. to it.
Stumps
QUOTE (Brazila)
By Cannon you can't
mad.gif devil.gif vegm.gif
QUOTE (Brazila)
but,...
ok...I can breathe...

Anyways.
Doc. I'm thinking that 3 might be a bit steep because it limits the TN possibles.
Rolling for 3's becomes dangerous and that's a simple TN to aim for.

Perhaps 2's?
Or perhaps say you only need to have half of your dice return as 1's?
tjn
Stumps, how do you make it possible to ride a bicycle without any wheels?
Stumps
I make my own wheels rather than bowing to Huffy everytime. biggrin.gif
The question is, did you even need the bike in the first place? Or can we just walk there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012