Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Online - The MMO
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Kagetenshi
Oh, I agree. There's a reason I wished him luck braving the Redmond Barrens back at the start of the thread.

~J
GreyPawn
Incidentally, where are you going to get that many exceptionally-talented Shadowrun players with experience in the MMO business?

Wherever I can.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any way that Microsoft is going to let you make money off this. I can see them possibly turning a blind eye if it were free, but once any kind of financial transaction is involved, I envision legal action will ensue.

We are already in communication with Microsoft. The game concept proposal will be for Microsoft to publish it, not develop it. Publishers, like EA, Sony, etc, fund development studios like Troika, Origin, Verent, etc. to build games for them. For fronting the capital needed, they take the lion's share of the profit and expenses.

Which will probably kill getting any decent number of Shadowrun players in on dev/content development, but so it goes.

Shadowrun is more popular than you might know. And there are a great number of very hardcore players and GMs who are not as pen&paper purist as some of the board-dwellers here might be.

He asks for input and opinion from the GM's and Players of SR and then discounts it, and proceeds to explain 'how it will be' in this game.

The basic game mechanics of a third-generation MMO can't be fiddled with much if survivability is considered. I welcome and crave input and constructive criticisms, but I also have a very good eye for what will work and what won't in an MMO. I do have a firm vision for the game, but its not a mutually exclusive one. Alot of the more destructive criticisms I've been seeing on this thread have already been covered in some way or another on the site, as well.

--GreyPawn
--Shadowrun-Online.com
FrostyNSO
Listen.

You can make an MMO that is based on Shadowrun, is original, and brings new and different aspects of gameplay to the table.

or...

You can make an MMO that is just like the hoards of MMO's out there already that just happens to be based upon the Shadowrun world.

my opinon...

You have discounted many constructive criticisms and ideas that other dumpshockers have placed on the table, in favor of your vision of a Shadowrun MMO which in my opinion (and possibly only my opinion, but whatever) smacks of convention and will no doubt be swallowed up as "just another MMORPG".
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (GreyPawn)
Incidentally, where are you going to get that many exceptionally-talented Shadowrun players with experience in the MMO business?

Wherever I can.

That also answers the question "where am I going to get billions of dollars, my own private planet, and a unicorn?" It isn't an acceptable business plan.

~J
Crimson Jack
I've been lurking on this thread since the beginning, not sure if I wanted to pipe up here or not. Having experience with both PnP Shadowrun and several of the more successful MMO's (EQ, DAoC, & SWG... eh), I find the idea of a Shadowrun MMO an exciting one.

Would it be different? Yes, of course. The Genesis and SNES carts diverged greatly from how the PnP versions worked, but I can remember several threads regarding these antiquated carts and the enthusiasm on how they made everyone feel was pretty positive in general... and those games are really crap compared to how cool the PnP version is. That said, I'd only pay and play this game if the feeling was there.

As much as I can understand why PD wouldn't work in a MMO, I do have to say that it would be sorely missed IMO for the online version. It just wouldn't feel gritty without the threat of permadeath for some reason. DocWagon respawns, sure... I can buy that. Comes with the MMO territory.

I'm with Kage on the Matrix issue though. Deckers shouldn't be overlayed onto the real world. That just sounds all kinds of gay to me. It makes sense for astral projection, as the mage would really be there.... but not for the Matrix.

Riggers being badasses? I don't get this argument really. If the runs incorporated the same types of situations found in the PnP version, why would they be so kick ass? Indoors riggers do not rule. Charming Johnsons, riggers do not rule. If given the correct penalties, the rigger pet idea wouldn't be the broken "class".

I'm sure I'll catch up on some of the other comments, but let me ask Grey Pawn a question or two...

1) How are you planning on handling the crowds of people that would be populating the city? In almost every piece of Shadowrun art that I have, city streets have throngs of people in them. In most MMO's that I've played, there are only a bare number of NPCs in towns, often being only pivotal individuals (trainers, shop keepers, guards, etc).

2) How interactive would the environment be? Could someone with a rocket launcher blow a hole in a building and would it stay that way? Could someone pick up a trash can and throw it to make a noise distraction? I could come up with other examples, but I think you can tell where I'm going with this.

3) Will there be a sense of time in the game? Will Seattle always be shrouded in night/day... what? Will runners need to sleep and eat in the game? Will they have to pay their bills, such as rent and contact upkeep?

4) Will Kage and Frosty be evil NPCs in the game?

Arethusa
Uh oh. There are those homosexuals again. Git 'em, pa!
Fortune
The word does have another, equally valid meaning.
Kagetenshi
But it's nonsensical to say that it sounds all kinds of happy.

~J
Fortune
It also means strange or odd, and has so for much longer than it has been in popular use in reference to homosexuals.

Just as yellow can mean the color, but also be attributed to a coward. Words can and do often have multiple meanings in English, especially when taking colloquialisms and slang into account.

There's a point where being PC can be taken too far.
Kagetenshi
I'm seeing no evidence of that in any etymology I've found. Everything I'm finding is agreeing that the term was used to describe homosexuals starting in the nineteenth century and only starting to mean strange or odd after that. If you've got proof, now would be the time to show it.

Come to that, I'm also not finding anything to suggest that gay meant strange or odd before it was connected to queer by both being labels for homosexuals.

~J
Fortune
Whatever. I didn't use the word in the first place. I am just saying that it can and does have more meanings, slang or not, than merely homosexual or happy, as do a lot of English words.
DrJest
Somebody made an interesting point earlier about linking DocWagon and subscription fees.

On reflection, this kind of has some real potential. You could make the SRMMO free to play BUT perma-death (I'd make sure to clearly define the point of unconsciousness between life and death, to give a small chance of being saved). That way people can buy the game, play the game, maybe even do quite well; but their characters are never going to be long-term, since the first time it all hits the fan, so do they.

Subscribers, on the other hand, get DocWagon services - ie, revival at the hospital, the equivalent of the respawn of other games (very similar in nature to the CoH version). Death penalties are up for grabs, really, but some form of experience/karma debt, maybe coupled with a durational weakened state, would seem to be the best. I do NOT favour consequence-free deaths, personally.

And yes, I do think DocWagon should always work. No, it's not pure PnP. Yes, it's economic sense. However much people may wish differently, some things are mandated by the decision to make an MMO in the first place, assuming you want to make a success of it.

Additionally, by the way, I would make certain aspects of gameplay only available to subscribers - player-owned housing springs to mind as a good example. Why have player-owned housing? Well, bragging rights aside it would be a safe location to rest and recuperate, to store equipment, etc. You could own more than one house (housing would probably be best handled as instanced locations) so, for example, a decker might have his main pad and a "throwaway" cheap location for decking from, so that if he blows a trace and report he can bail without losing all his snackies to the imminent strike team.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fortune)
Whatever. I didn't use the word in the first place. I am just saying that it can and does have more meanings, slang or not, than merely homosexual or happy, as do a lot of English words.

Likewise "gyp" has another slang meaning other than "gypsy". However, like the usage of gay under discussion, it is derived directly from that meaning. Thus, while it may have another meaning, it is in no way less offensive or more acceptable.

~J
paul_HArkonen
I'm all for gay rights, and not being prejudiced and all of those other things, but we know what he means and here isnot the place to berate him for his lack of proper thesaurus use. you can feel free to berate him to your hearts content elsewhere, but let's not get this thread closed for being off topic shall we?

Now on to something slightly more on topic. I have to say that the pay for not die mechanic seems good in theory, but I just don't know about it. I'd say instead of having it be a pay your real cash, get a docwagon contract do it like the game, pay your money, get a docwagon contract, and unlike in the real game docwagon always shows up, normal costs and the like still exist (basic you have to pay like 500 nuyen.gif for an HRT, for example) but they do always show up.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jan 17 2005, 06:49 AM)

Likewise "gyp" has another slang meaning other than "gypsy". However, like the usage of gay under discussion, it is derived directly from that meaning. Thus, while it may have another meaning, it is in no way less offensive or more acceptable.

~J

Wow. Consider the usage of the word a slip. I'm not a hatemonger and that wasn't the heart nor spirit of the usage. There are so many people that use that word in conjunction with the definition of something being odd or non-sexually queer that it just came out that way. Please understand that I'm not making any jabs at homosexuals here... that wasn't my point. If you were offended, I apologize. I too know that there is another meaning for the word and unlike the PC movement, I am not offended when words are used in a peculiar way with alternative meanings to them. However, I shouldn't expect the same of everyone. Consider me schooled. wink.gif

On the topic of DocWagon, I like the idea of there being a set number of DocWagon teams out there to scoop up the dying. Maybe linking something equivalent to a physical damage overflow timer bar to the character when they hit the dirt. Not being taxied out of a zone before the timer bar elapses means a hit to one's stats (temporarily), similar to how they do it in SWG.
GreyPawn
I'm with Kage on the Matrix issue though. Deckers shouldn't be overlayed onto the real world. That just sounds all kinds of gay to me. It makes sense for astral projection, as the mage would really be there.... but not for the Matrix.

Thats definitely up for revision and extended discussion. How do you guys think the Matrix should be interpretted in game terms? I'm a fan of the way the Genesis console game did it, and of course a heavy-duty engine could allow for a greater skinnability for megacorp themes.

1) How are you planning on handling the crowds of people that would be populating the city?

A combination of WoW and CoH approaches towards NPC population. WoW's NPCs function with a great level of intelligence, or seeming intelligence. It lends to the illusion that when you log out, the world continues to churn without you. CoH's approach is less intelligent, but a greater crowd. Every NPC should be interactable with and every one should have a story to tell. Thats the ideal. How attainable that is will be constrained by the engine. I would very much like to have "crowd" NPCs that move in horde-step with one another from one part of the city to the next, growing and shrinking, to simulate a bustling metropolis.

2) How interactive would the environment be? Could someone with a rocket launcher blow a hole in a building and would it stay that way? Could someone pick up a trash can and throw it to make a noise distraction? I could come up with other examples, but I think you can tell where I'm going with this.

Engine constraints, once again. Ideally I'd like to use a package like Havok2 engine and put as much of the physics one can hammer down with a nail client-side to prevent choking the bandwidth prematurely. That would allow for a greater level of interactability with the environment than in any other MMO to date. NPC distractions from throwing debris? Yes. Using a rocket launcher on a building is a toughy though. I'd like to say yes. But thats probably the wrong answer. If you free-for-all building destruction, after 3 months from going live Seattle would be a pile of smouldering rubble, justice systems not withstanding. Perhaps a building hit points or condition monitor, with threat results from attacking, IF the building is in a place that is fair game, or an integral part of a Johnson-based mission.

3) Will there be a sense of time in the game? Will Seattle always be shrouded in night/day... what? Will runners need to sleep and eat in the game? Will they have to pay their bills, such as rent and contact upkeep?

Time? Yes. Day/Night cycle most definitely, but accelerated to cycle once every 2 hours. Runners will not need to eat and sleep in-game. However, eating, drinking and resting will have positive effects and generate some advantages. Lifestyle upkeep and contact upkeep will be required once every week. (Unless the lifestyle has been permanently purchased)

4) Will Kage and Frosty be evil NPCs in the game?

Yes. I'm thinking Tweedle-dum Tweedle-dee style toxic shaman and blood mage.

DrJest, you make a poignant argument. Subscription free, but perma-death enabled. Subscription equals additional benefits such as player-housing, player association membership and DocWagon contract. Fantastic idea. That really satisfies a number of things, too. Kudos!

--GreyPawn
--Shadowrun-Online.com

FrostyNSO
Also, a Doc Wagon Team doesn't need to be able to grab just one person at a time. If the crap goes down, the ambulance can scoop up a few, plus any more on the way to the hospital. Maybe between 2 and 4, depending on the response (ambulance, chopper, etc..).
Crimson Jack
Thats definitely up for revision and extended discussion. How do you guys think the Matrix should be interpretted in game terms? I'm a fan of the way the Genesis console game did it, and of course a heavy-duty engine could allow for a greater skinnability for megacorp themes.

Yeah, that would be alright. If it was set up in a similar manner to the style of SR2 design, that would work for me. If done that way, it would be a mini game then for deckers, no? Might be kinda cool for decker characters to see a little halo around I/O ports when they come across them in the game world, so they know possible areas to connect to the matrix besides their homes.

How will Matrix personas look, if at all different?

Regarding your answer to the populace thing, will there be effects on the crowds like stray fire and area of effects on spells, for example? Will killing portions of the crowd generate negative ticks on your character with Lone Star (similar to the Corben Dallas' driving license infraction element in The 5th Element). Say, kill civilians and you get negative points that need to be paid for or cleared off your record with a decker if you are spotted in the act. The game Fable for the Xbox does something similar to this when you start murdering or stealing things in the game.

FrostyNSO
Sorry, but if you kill innocent civilians, you shouldn't get a 'negative tick' that you can pay for or have a decker easily remove. It should be something that is at best difficult to remove, and at worst, downright impossible.

You can't make killing a casual action that carries little consequence (I am talking the killing of innocents like school children, passersby, etc...).
Crimson Jack
True, but for an MMO (an abstraction of an abstraction), you have to come up with some way of dealing with it, if you're going to include stray shots (ie civie deaths) as part of the game. Rather than having a legal element built into the game where a runner has to get a lawyer, spend time in court, then possibly do time in a prison, I would think there would be an abstract way of representing sloppy work.

If it were a monetary penalty, albeit a large one, that would limit the amount of times things got out of hand in public places. And I wasn't inferring that it would be easy to remove if a decker handled it. I'm thinking that it would be a hard Matrix excursion (however its going to be handled) to delete or change the information. Paying for it might represent the whole legal process without bogging down an action game with Perry Mason and Matlock overtures.
FrostyNSO
You don't need to bog down gameplay with legal proceedings. Paying out'legal fees' and whatnot (basically fining the player), gives the player the feeling that killing innocents "will only result in a fine".

As in RL, even stray shots will get you thrown in the slammer. Allowing players to buy their way out of the consequences of sloppy work is something I wouldn't dismiss entirely. If they have the right contacts, they could pay out by bribing the right people.

The 'right people' are not easy to get ahold of most of the time though, and could require a small 'service', as a show of good faith.

If said contacts aren't available, either from the player's own contacts, or their friends', I could see a character being put in the slammer for awhile. (Time to play that alt character for a bit...)

edit: And who says that doing time couldn't be a part of the game. You show up, kick someone's ass or get yours kicked the first day. Work the guards for kickbacks. Work your connections on the outside to get stuff in. Plan an escape. Prison would represent so many great possibilities. Added to that, you would be in there with players with whom you already share at least one thing in common with =)

Is this just my raving, or does anybody else see some great potential in this?

Imagine you're playing a decker who got busted doing a wire tap on a government official. You worked your contacts and got a good lawyer to get your sentence reduced, but you still have to survive a little time in prison.
If you survive the ordeal, you will no doubt have a slew of new, useful contacts, and possibly a prison tat or too, along with a bit of rep. And let's not forget the imfamous 'Criminal SIN'.
Jrayjoker
If Civies, PCs/NPCs get shot in public there should be a Lonestar High Threat Response team there in moments laying a thourough and severe butt whupin'.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Paying out'legal fees' and whatnot (basically fining the player), gives the player the feeling that killing innocents "will only result in a fine".

<snip>

edit: And who says that doing time couldn't be a part of the game.

<snip>

Is this just my raving, or does anybody else see some great potential in this?

Actually, that's a pretty sweet idea. I had thought of something similar while an injured player was healing at the hospital, but jail time would be pretty cool. I think it might be better if the times were adjusted for the abstract nature of the game, but switching to an alt would be an acceptable penalty for getting caught... especially when you're really jonesing to play your main toon. Jail should be reserved for the serious crimes (murder), fines for the minor crimes (getting caught with weapons).

I don't think a jail scenario is really necessary in the sense that you'd be playing your character in the slammer. He/she should just be 'locked' until the time has passed.
Fortune
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
If Civies, PCs/NPCs get shot in public there should be a Lonestar High Threat Response team there in moments laying a thourough and severe butt whupin'.

Only in certain neighborhoods. Life is pretty cheap in a lot of the areas of the Sixth World.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
Wow. Consider the usage of the word a slip. I'm not a hatemonger and that wasn't the heart nor spirit of the usage. There are so many people that use that word in conjunction with the definition of something being odd or non-sexually queer that it just came out that way. Please understand that I'm not making any jabs at homosexuals here... that wasn't my point. If you were offended, I apologize. I too know that there is another meaning for the word and unlike the PC movement, I am not offended when words are used in a peculiar way with alternative meanings to them. However, I shouldn't expect the same of everyone. Consider me schooled. wink.gif

Thus considered. Honestly, what I found offensive was its defense; a slip, while I'm eager to stamp it out, is depressingly sufficiently ingrained into popular culture to be forgivable.

QUOTE (GreyPawn)
Every NPC should be interactable with and every one should have a story to tell.

I have to disagree with this one. Think about the person on the street: do they have a story to tell? Probably not. Or at least not one relevant to the runners. I have a story to tell, but no Shadowrunner is going to care about it (nor would most of you); it just doesn't apply.

~J
Fortune
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Honestly, what I found offensive was its defense; a slip, while I'm eager to stamp it out, is depressingly sufficiently ingrained into popular culture to be forgivable.

It's a word, in common usage in every English-speaking country I've visited (which is most), and can have several meanings. One of which is commonly to indicate something that is odd or unusual. Whether that is right or PC not is immaterial.

To jump on someone for using a word in a commonly used fashion is pretty petty. That is what I found offensive.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Thus considered. Honestly, what I found offensive was its defense; a slip, while I'm eager to stamp it out, is depressingly sufficiently ingrained into popular culture to be forgivable.

Thus considered? Um, okaay. The offensive (as you put it) defense was given as these issues unfortunately tend to require them. I'm ready to move on with my life though. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Fortune)
It's a word, in common usage in every English-speaking country I've visited (which is most), and can have several meanings. One of which is commonly to indicate something that is odd or unusual. Whether that is right or PC not is immaterial.

To jump on someone for using a word in a commonly used fashion is pretty petty. That is what I found offensive.

Your proposed meaning is in neither Merriam-Webster nor any source on Dictionary.com nor the Oxford English Dictionary. It has been used in a derogatory fashion for long enough to establish a new meaning had it been meant as anything but a statement that the object or idea in question is homosexual.

Thanks for playing.

~J
Adam
Back on topic, please - without "gay" as a slur. Thanks.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Crimson Jack)
I don't think a jail scenario is really necessary in the sense that you'd be playing your character in the slammer. He/she should just be 'locked' until the time has passed.

While this would certainly be the easy way to go, it does nix the possibility of jailbreaks.

~J
Moonstone Spider
Hmm, does a MMO really need to be 100% computer driven? I can still see uses for GMs, in fact that could be the most balancing factor of all. The game could be partially controlled by several paid professionals who take on the roles of Lofwyr, Deus, Harlequin, and whatnot. That means the most important NPCs can actually speak rather than being parrots. And it means that a human player just as smart as you, but with an entire SR military at his disposal, can come after you if you tick him off. You might not hesitate to kill somebody if it gives you a minor negative tick on your character. What if you knew that, say, Adam or Ancient History was running as Damian Knight, and might well decide to personally wipe you out because that street-person turned out to be an important Johnson of yours? If you had perhaps one IE for every 400 players I imagine that would be enough for them to personally decide to kick one person's head in a day who has a bad mark on their file, and make things very scary for players who aren't careful. Actually having a half-dozen or so GMs could fix a lot of the storyline problems.
Crimson Jack
Another question for Grey Pawn: Will there be multiple points of entry on buildings? Would a team be able to send runners in through the sewers, up the walls, through windows... basically other methods besides the front door? Most MMO architecture features a door as the entry point and that's it. Without multiple entry points, the stress on strategy will be lessened.

When runners get into or around the buildings, how will security and stealth work?
DrJest
I can still see uses for GMs, in fact that could be the most balancing factor of all. The game could be partially controlled by several paid professionals who take on the roles of Lofwyr, Deus, Harlequin, and whatnot. That means the most important NPCs can actually speak rather than being parrots

That's an interesting idea. I would expect a MMORPG to have online GM's as a matter of course; putting them in the guise of famous - and, at least according to canon, "indestructible" , at least by PC's - NPC's is a neat twist.

It might be nice as well if these GM NPC's actually had mission/"quest" storylines that they could kick off, in the same way that computer-controlled NPC's add missions to your PDA or whatever. "Yeah," says Harlequin, "about those bugs... c'mere..." <GM types addmission $target "harlequinsback">
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (GreyPawn)
Ideally I'd like to use a package like Havok2 engine and put as much of the physics one can hammer down with a nail client-side to prevent choking the bandwidth prematurely.

Just keep in mind that cardinal rule of online game development:
The client is in the hands of the enemy. Never, ever, EVER put anything critical in the hands of the enemy.

smile.gif

QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
Hmm, does a MMO really need to be 100% computer driven?  I can still see uses for GMs, in fact that could be the most balancing factor of all.  The game could be partially controlled by several paid professionals who take on the roles of Lofwyr, Deus, Harlequin, and whatnot.  That means the most important NPCs can actually speak rather than being parrots.

Off the top of my head, the "live" NPCs will get mobbed with hundreds of private messages, spam, and other distractions every second of the day they are online where the populace knows about it.

That's not counting the massive crowd of people that will just want to stand around the live NPCs just to be there in case anything interesting happens. Probably all throwing off every visual "power" effect they can possibly generate, all at once, causing the most horrific of network and system lag.

This is not speculation or postulation. It is an inevitability.

Unless you make the power players as hard to approach/find/contact as they are in the SR universe. How can you get a message to Ehran the Scribe? You can't. Not until you are a world shaker anyway.
Kagetenshi
Indeed. Make them elusive, and have there be no way to PM them.

~J
Jrayjoker
But let them instigate contact as they deem fit. Arbiters of rules, etc. should be separate from the IE/GD/Power Players IMO. IE/GD/PP should be able to instigate everything from a run to a war (or even host a party at their mansion and invite who they want).
Moonstone Spider
Yeah, it wouldn't be hard to keep the identities of the Immortal players secret, how many people here know how to contact Bill Gates?

And yeah, they could seriously drive the plot by having a set of instructions once a month, and this would also allow for player Johnsons more easily. For instance this month SK's trying to mess up Ares' new industrial plant. So Lofwyr, played by some human, seeks out the ten or twelve really skilled players who are playing as Johnson's and have him as a contact. He tells each of them he wouldn't be particularly sad if something bad happened to that new Ares industrial plant and there's X nuyen in it for them for a set of about 50 things Lofwyr would like to see happen (all the standard goodies like computer failure, paydata, kidnappings, and blowing stuff up). These human Johnsons set dozens and dozens of runs up for teams they know of, leading to a whole new storyline. Meanwhile the human playing Damien Knight figures out someting is up (Obviously he already knew from the meeting but pretends not to until a runner betrays his Johnson and tells him, this will happen) and tells his 12 Johnsons he'd like something bad to happen to SK, and wants to hire some muscle to protect his plant with a bonus if these 50 things don't happen. Viola, from two people who are being paid and a few hours work you've got nearly a hundred shadowruns in action, keeping probably 500 players occupied with entirely human driven plots. For the rest of the week Lofwyr and Damien hunt down that moron rigger who drove a panzer down the street, kill the guy who blew up ten buildings for fun, and hire a second set of shadowruns by putting bounties on people who were caught on camera doing bad things, but didn't do something so stupid as to merit having an Immortal hunt them down.

The human element is what's missing from so many games, and what could really make an SR game stand out.
KarmaInferno
Well, it also becomes a factor of practicality and cost.

Hiring a couple of folks, especially ones that know their stuff, is not a cheap thing.

This is why most MMOGs do NOT have live NPCs, really.

Not saying it wouldn't be absolutely cool, but it's not exactly a massive return of benefit for the cost and time expendature.

I do see your point and it would add to the cost. But I'm not sure the return on cost wouldn't be pretty massive, it's not brain surgery, you wouldn't have to pay a six figure salary for somebody to be a Dragon (Unless somebody hires Master Shake). Given an assumption of 5000 paying customers each throwing 20 dollars a month in that's 100,000 dollars in revenue each month. While I realize a heck of a lot of cash is going to be flowing into artists, programmers, and servers, there should be room in there for a half-dozen guys getting a few hundred a month for playing the godlike NPCs, particularly if, by making the game "Absolutely cool" they attract an extra thousand paying customers and generate another 20,000 revenue. Somebody who knows more than me about the industry would have to do real math to figure out the cost benefit beyond my guesswork, though.
Kagetenshi
I can tell you right off that spending the time and effort to play the godlike NPCs properly will take more than "a few hundred a month".

~J
paul_HArkonen
Not only would it be interesting for the people who have joined the game already, it would get to be one of those "ground breaking features" that they could put on the back of the box. "Quests (runs), planned out and created by actual human beings, who react to your failures and successes." Or something like that.

I like the idea, and personally, I would think that things like that are exactly what could make something a best seller, rather than just use what's been done before, you do something new and inovative. I would think a company would be able to see the advantage of that.
DrJest
The Live NPC's wouldn't be on 24/7 anyway; more present for the purposes of planned events. Heck, hire four people to do monthly live-organised runs at different levels and BOOM you're light-years ahead of everyone else (possible exception of EQ1's Stormhammer server, but since they make you fork out something like five times as much moolah for crap event... well, you do the math smile.gif )
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
I do see your point and it would add to the cost.  But I'm not sure the return on cost wouldn't be pretty massive, it's not brain surgery, you wouldn't have to pay a six figure salary for somebody to be a Dragon (Unless somebody hires Master Shake).

Even a baseline salary of, say, 25K a year is a 50K cost to the company, figuring in benefits, expenses, and the like. (Most "white collar" jobs cost a company roughly double the salary being paid). Even if you only had say six such employees, you are adding over 24,000 dollars in expenses every month you have to cover.

Given an assumption of 5000 paying customers each throwing 20 dollars a month in that's 100,000 dollars in revenue each month.

100,000 dollars is nothing. Wouldn't even cover the cost of server bandwidth. The average "start up" costs for a MMOG are about 10 million dollars, and ongoing "live" costs range from 400,000 to 600,000 bucks every month.

By current MMOG standards, a game needs to have 100,000 subscribers minimum to be able to recover your initial investment within 16 months of launch, the longest many investors will be willing to wait. Remember, on average a MMOG will have already been in development for 2-4 years.

Yes, this means that most of the smaller MMOGs are losing money like a sieve. Expect a lot of them to start folding in the next year or so as their investors pull out of a losing proposition. The self-funded ones might last a little longer, but it's only a matter of time.

This information I've glean from a number of sources, having been in the beta tests for four different MMOGs over the years and talking with numerous development teams.

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
This is why most MMOGs do NOT have live NPCs, really.

Actually, most of them do. I've run into the "god" toons on EQ, DAoC, and SWG before. If you play the games often, its amusing to behold their powers. The only difference with this idea is that they aren't policing zones and fixing issues/quarrels as much as they're adding content. They are pretty cool to witness though. Normally because they have custom or uber armor/clothing and "unusual" graphic effects. cool.gif

This is a cool idea. The hard-to-find idea is probably the best method. This can be done as easy as restricting access to members who have enough clout or by simply making a security clearance issue. It would be nice if there was an element of randomness to some of the uber NPC meetings though. Perhaps a runner is approached by someone at random, and when they least expect it, rather than the runner trying to complete a series of quests before he/she can meet them. <shrug>
Kagetenshi
A combination? Sometimes an uber-NPC is in a certain location, sometimes a string of missions leads to them, and sometimes the game writers come up with a storyline, come up with parameters (Awakened == 1 && rep >= 10 && Essence >= 3 && race != Elf && inJail == 0 && AverageHoursperMonth >= 30) and it will spit out a random player character to focus on. AverageHoursperMonth could keep vital events from focusing on people who aren't going to be there to see them through, while it could be dropped for more one-off or less important events.

~J
Stumps
Actually, a real easy way to create an image of random encounter can be done.

Each player character has a random generated long string key identifier made for their character upon the creation of the character.

These characters will act like "blocked group IP addresses" to the NPC's except that instead of being blocked, they will be accepted, while all other key numbers are blocked.

When any player character is in the are of an NPC that has accepted their "group IP address" then they will react to them being in their area as they are programed to do, (eg. running up to the player and talking to them).

To prevent a confused NPC trying to run up to 3 or 5 people at the same time, they will hold the "IP's" in their memory in an ordered fashsion of priority, going to one before the other, and if that "IP" in the area leaves before they get to them, then they move on to the next one available.

If none are available, they sit idel and scan for the PC's with matching "IP's" that they are to "accept".

To add to this, the long key number for the PC could be altered post-creation, as a reaction to their in-game character decisions.
This would change what group of NPC's will react to them, as different sets of NPC's would have a different blanket of number groups to react to.

This would mean that, generically, the more bad things you do, the more "bad" people NPC's would come up to you with offers, and the more "crush bad guys" officers would chase you.
paul_HArkonen
actually that is an interesting idea.

I'm no computer programmer, or have any real computer knowledge, so this is a question, as well as a suggestion.

Would it be possible to design it so that the NPCs would respond to the "numbers" of runners who have done specific things? Like let's say Joe runner completes an Ares run to blow up a SK building. Could you set it up so that as soon as he finishes that mission he starts getting talked to by, say Ares Johnsons, about doing another job?

Or say for example Joe runner finishes his Ares run and after that his next 3 out of 4 run offers come from Ares, because he did such a good job. Or if he failed, but survived he get's no more offers from Ares, instead they come from Novatech, (or any other AAA corp).

How feasable, and how much server space/game stoping lag would that take up?
Kagetenshi
It would take up that much more server power/database space, but I don't see that it's unfeasible.

~J
paul_HArkonen
then the question for those who tend to play MMOs is would it make you want to play the game. Would "NPCs that actually react to your actions, your successes and failures" make people buy the game?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012