Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Online - The MMO
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Kagetenshi
Just as a similar disclaimer: I am also against a Shadowrun MMORPG, but that could change if someone finds ways to deal with all of the major issues I present or offers a reason why the issue doesn't matter. I don't think anyone will, but regardless of whether or not I am convinced I feel that these issues must be resolved to have a successful game.

Back to the debate: all of the proposed suggestions (1-4, not the points one) have as their fundamental problem that they punish non-PKers as well. More to the point, they don't mitigate the damage that a PKer can do. To rebut the argument that the fact that they'll be paying a not-insubstantial amount to buy the game in the first place and more to play each month will reduce their tendency to screw around like that in advance, I admit that it will cut down slightly on this problem but submit that you can have events where a player's favorite character dies, or they otherwise get annoyed at the game and decide that they don't want to play anymore for whatever reason, but they still have time left on their account and they feel like being asses. Not as many, but even a few incidents can alienate a player base when enforcing strict death.

~J

Edit: disregard, GreyPawn posted whilst I was writing this. More on his response shortly.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (GreyPawn @ Jan 10 2005, 06:58 PM)
Permanent death cannot be an option in any competitive online game.

Why not?

What is the point of knocking off that bastard who's been riding your ass your whole career if he can just flip right around and knock you off right afterwards?

Then you have the RP aspects: "I wanna be as good as 'so-and-so' was before he bought it. They said he was the best there ever was."

Not including some sort of permanant PC death makes PK meaningless. Just look at Eve-Online.

Doc-Wagon should not be a "sure thing". When there is no risk involved in causing a shootout, or getting lone-star brought down on you, players take a more lax view of it and will have no qualms about blowing innocents away at the local supermarket or carnival.

There should always be the chance of permanent death, if for no other reason than to "stabilize" the game world.
Higher risk runs would net higher karma, and actually mean something. Reputation would actually mean something from an RP perspective.
"Joe Bloz made a solo run on the Arcology and lived to talk about it."

addition: Another thing that turns me off to the MMO aspect is that every once in a while, I like to go back and play an old game that I liked a long time ago. You can't really do that with MMO games.
Now a game company who is trying to make money (as game companies tend to do) won't care about this aspect so much.
If the Shadowrun MMO goes belly up after a year online, you may have had a game you really enjoyed playing, and can never play again.
DrJest
I'd like to chip in a few City of Heroes inspired approaches to this:

Missions: generated by contacts, which you gain as you progress through the game. Missions, even from the get-go, tell a story, which believe me really decreases the "find the bad guy kill the bad guy" problem. You can gain experience from defeating random villains on the streets, but unless you're in a heavily devoted hunting group the real exp gains are through doing missions. Extend that to SR, and you see that - with few random bad guys on the streets* - most karma comes from completing runs.

*possible exception of the Redmond and Puyallup Barrens, which might operate more like CoH's Hazard Zones - deeply dangerous but potentially rewarding.

Death: In CoH, defeated characters are teleported to the city hospitals. In SR, I could see DocWagon fulfilling a similar purpose. I don't think there should be permanent character death; short and sweet, it would be the death knell of the game. I could see Basic DocWagon being a freebie for every character, representing the normal death penalties; then purchasing higher levels of DocWagon contract would result in (for example) less experience debt per death.

Instanced areas: both indoor and outdoor, areas specific to the mission being undertaken. Almost a necessity I would have said.

Housing: Everquest 2 has player housing, and a booming economy in items for the house. A neat twist is that better items reduce the rent of your house. I think this would be a valid inclusion for SR.

Riggers: I realise that riggers are going to be a problem. I can think of two solutions.

1) Make them essentially a "pet" class. Don't like it, but it would work and be familiar.
2) Switch characters. The rigger buys and outfits a drone, then jumps into it to actually adventure, whilst sitting safely in his house (much like I imagine a decker sitting in his house - or in anywhere the team can break him into to jack in from, see below). "Death" of the Drone causes fatal dumpshock to the rigger, so he doesn't avoid the penalties.

Deckers: As I said, I can see deckers calmly sitting at a distance while their "persona" travels with the party in the cyberspace layer. An interesting twist would be that a decker who jacks in from home and doesn't kill trace programs gets raided, with items in his home destroyed. Again, dumpshock can lead to character "death" to prevent the "remotely invulnerable" problem.

Just some ideas.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (GreyPawn @ Jan 10 2005, 06:58 PM)
Permanent death cannot be an option in any competitive online game.

Why not?

Because people would stop playing.

PvP servers for many MMOG tend to have the least population compared to other non-PvP servers. Add to that the element of "you die your dead forever" and people would get bored and upset IMO.

People tend to like perma-death when they think they have some control over it. MMOG rules are very fixed with little for the player to do but go along for the ride and push the rules.
Kagetenshi
1) I don't like the idea of translating the Matrix to physical space one bit. It makes negligable sense, and isn't what a Decker is.

2) Likewise, you suggest a general analogue of a Rigger. That's not a Rigger. I daresay it is as close to being a Rigger as Anarchy Online is to Shadowrun.

~J
FrostyNSO
Higher Doc-Wagon contracts equate to faster response time anybody???

I am just very opposed to a "Get out of Death Free" card in any game.

If this is what ends up happening (as I'm sure it would), it would need to involve the chance of magic loss, or of losing a limb or attribute point.

I don't care if you have a basic doc-wagon contract or a super-platinum (that your clan-mates I'm sure bought you at character creation), there should be some potential penalty for death.

XP-loss is a horrible way to do this in my opinion. If anything, a character who dies and then gets to tell about it later has gained experience. Now don't reward them for dying, but don't make them have to train their etiquette skill back up because they failed a jump.

On a side note: There would need to be a player-driven shadow-economy, and a system that players could contract out runs and such. (effectively giving players the option to set up as fixers) This is an essential part of the universe I would think.
GreyPawn
The purpose of risk vs. reward is to add value where value does not exist. It is to assign value to advancement. There are no current MMO models in existence where character death is permanent. The more successful games (like World of Warcraft) actually lessen or remove entirely the penalty of character death.

There are stark differences between pen&paper games, single-player computer games and MMOs. A great many of people who play single-player games that go by the "one death" rule use a quicksave and quickload feature to make certain that their progress isn't rendered utterly futile by a lapse in judgement or inopportune moment of lag. Persistant state worlds, the environment in which an MMO exists, cannot allow for a save and load feature, as the game does not center around one single player, but rather hundreds or thousands. So this is why death has to be as painless as possible in an MMO, but still present an undesirable element.

Now, I'm not advocating that death be a complete carebear festival. It should come with some penalties. Skill-based penalties, a percentage of ¥ to repair one's body, gear/inventory loss or even durability factors in gear.

For example-

Upon death, a character's body falls to the ground after losing a fight in the Redmon Barrens, a non-consentual PvP "zone" for lack of a better word. Everything in their inventory stays on the corpse and is lootable. The player appears on a stretcher in a DogWagon clinic four blocks away, outside of the non-consentual PvP zone. All of his skills and stats are lowered by X%, where X is either a flat rate of detriment (ie- 15%) or scaled based on Karma level. A rate of 625¥ has been deducted from the runner's account for the stay in the clinic. Everything equipped by the runner remains on the runner, but his inventory is gone, dropped on his corpse. The runner comes to at 10% health. A doctor offers to return him to 100% for a nominal fee.

--GreyPawn
--Shadowrun-Online.com
FrostyNSO
No way.

I would say that the way attribute, limb, and magic loss should be calculated how they are in the game now.

There should be medical costs associated with how serious a wound you took and then the game should tell you. "Your left arm was mangled beyond repair and you have lost use of it. You can buy a cyber replacement now for this amount, or a clone replacement (from that sample they took when you signed up for Doc-Wagon) for this amount. If you don't have the cash, you get to play without use of your left arm for a while until you can afford it.

Maybe Corporate (extraterritorial) complexes could be exempt from the Doc-Wagon "get outta death free card", just like the game now. They don't respond there.

I don't think there should be any "I'm here in the hospital, but my corpse is in the barrens." lunacy. Doc Wagon should physically pick up the characters. The killers can loot whatever they want between the character's death and when the ambulance or chopper or whatever arrives, but nothing after that.

edit: Oh, and anything equipped is lootable as well, within reason. Perhaps it would take a few seconds to loot a character's worn body armor, but picking up the SMG he was using would be instantaneous.
Core Dump
About Permadeath...

Shadowrun HAS to be permadeath. Most of the arguments against PD are shallow and shortsighted. There ARE arguments against PD, not just the ones you see spouted most of the time.

Yes, if you take any MMORPG right now, add PD/Full PvP, it's going to fail. I'm not going to argue about that at all.

However, a carefull planned game with the correct mechanism can make PD so MUCH more. First it can lowers the griefers and gankers tremedously, increase the involment and fun, make success really a success, and failure really a failure. This can be an asset more than anything... if planned and handled carefully.

I'm not gonna start a thread about PD, but I remember when SWG was announced, I convinced half the boards that PD can be used effectively(we had 8-10 threads capped at 200 posts, because after 200 the old boards would crash, hehe), until devs came and told us that no, they had their hands tied and there wouldn't be PD in any way. So long for fan feedback =)

Another thing, Karma must be obtained on OBJECTIVES. Hidden or not. Not just for run finished. For example, if you realized you must kill a scientist working on a cure for aids or whatever, and spare him, you're going to gain Karma, BUT, lower your reputation with the johnson/fixer/corp. You should have done more legwork before you went on board =)

Professionals are going to earn more Karma, but it's going to be harder and harder to maintain professionalism, you'll have to be damn focused and careful about runs you chose, your rep is on the line.
GreyPawn
Well, I'm sure a seperate server could be maintained for those players who absolutely must experience a Shadowrun MMO with perma-death, character loss and limb destruction. I'm certain that both players will have alot of fun on it.

--GreyPawn
--Shadowrun-Online.com
Core Dump
The problem is that a seperate server defeats the purpose of PD. After extensive research, I'm pretty certain that, to be successful in implementing PD, everyone must be on the same playing field.

Also, designing a PD game is hard, it would be very stupid to just say: "Here, we worked a lot to make the game PD, but here, play on this non-PD server where we rebalanced everything because no one can die". you'd end up with like 5% playing on your PD part, because people won't find the need to play PD. People need to be educated to new things. That's the problem, most innovative games includes a cop-out, which totally defeats the purpose.

Same thing as PvP server having much lower population than PvE servers. Cop-out is not acceptable when you do PD. I'd much rather play a non-PD game than a PD-game with a cop-out.
Cynic project
QUOTE (GreyPawn)
The purpose of risk vs. reward is to add value where value does not exist. It is to assign value to advancement. There are no current MMO models in existence where character death is permanent. The more successful games (like World of Warcraft) actually lessen or remove entirely the penalty of character death.

There are stark differences between pen&paper games, single-player computer games and MMOs. A great many of people who play single-player games that go by the "one death" rule use a quicksave and quickload feature to make certain that their progress isn't rendered utterly futile by a lapse in judgement or inopportune moment of lag. Persistant state worlds, the environment in which an MMO exists, cannot allow for a save and load feature, as the game does not center around one single player, but rather hundreds or thousands. So this is why death has to be as painless as possible in an MMO, but still present an undesirable element.

Now, I'm not advocating that death be a complete carebear festival. It should come with some penalties. Skill-based penalties, a percentage of ¥ to repair one's body, gear/inventory loss or even durability factors in gear.

For example-

Upon death, a character's body falls to the ground after losing a fight in the Redmon Barrens, a non-consentual PvP "zone" for lack of a better word. Everything in their inventory stays on the corpse and is lootable. The player appears on a stretcher in a DogWagon clinic four blocks away, outside of the non-consentual PvP zone. All of his skills and stats are lowered by X%, where X is either a flat rate of detriment (ie- 15%) or scaled based on Karma level. A rate of 625¥ has been deducted from the runner's account for the stay in the clinic. Everything equipped by the runner remains on the runner, but his inventory is gone, dropped on his corpse. The runner comes to at 10% health. A doctor offers to return him to 100% for a nominal fee.

--GreyPawn
--Shadowrun-Online.com

Well, then you also have hardcore diabolo 2...

I think it should be up to the players.
Core Dump
What if Doc Wagon can't get to you?
What if you die in Renraku's HQ? You'll magically spawn at your street doc?

Friend will have to carry your body out, then you might have a chance. If you were wiped, well, so long.

What if you were in a elevator with 5 grenades blowing up? (chunky salsa!!) Having your bloodly pulp spawning in a medical clinic isn't really useful, heh

Your scenario can be used the same in a PD setting. It's just that, in some circumstances, you WILL permanently die. It doesn't mean that everytime you get gunned down you're hosed.

How many times characters dies in PnP? They do when they do something stupid, or very dangerous. It's not really fun to play, get in a building, then SNIPER, and you're dead. The GM won't be popular. Same thing in PD.
Aku
but thats the problem with pd in an online setting: dumb stuff ( not your fault) happens... you lag around a corner, dont see the Star guy coming around, boom dead.

car comes driving, splat. dead.

MMORPG's have inheirently stupid things happen.
Core Dump
But you won't die, you'll probably be brought to Doc Wagon and such. Lag must be a non-issue. In normal cicumstance, you'll have to work hard(clueless excluded) to permanently die. Now, if you want to infiltrate S&K HQ, that's something else. Risk vs Reward. The game must be structured in such a way that PD enhance the risk-reward, not punish the player.

Don't see PD as an addon to current game, where you'd get to 0 HP and then you'd lose your char, that would be pretty stupid. PD is another mechanism of its own.
Morgannah
Scalable mission difficulty.

Players can control how "hardcore" they want to play their characters. Rewards would scale to reflect these choices and people that don't necessarily want to go up against a permadeath situation all the frigging time have the option of choosing a slightly easier setting.

I'd never have thought there would be a game to take me away from CoH .. but if this can be done, I might just have to reconsider. smile.gif
FrostyNSO
The scalable hardcore is good in that it would give the casual player an avenue to keep up with the bleary-eyed, twig-thin, no-life-outside my monitor, 18-hour-a-day player.
GreyPawn
Getting back to basics...as perma-death, player advancement and other such elementary questions have already been answered, what is the general consensus of the idea of a Shadowrun MMO?

Would you play it? Would you not play it? What would lead you to it and what would keep you there?

--GreyPawn
--Shadowrun-Online.com
Thanos007
1) It's a MMO. It will be different. How much? Who knows? How much will you except?

2) PD. Sure if you can guarantee no griefers. Good luck on that.

3)Why all the hate'n. Think of the cool things that could be done.

Your deep inside Novatech, waiting for your decker to open the door. (you can't see him or tell what he's doing. all you know is what he tells you and it's all in real time) He tells you he's almost got the location of the door. Just a few more minutes. Then he says "Oh, shit!...." and theres no more coms from you decker. What do you do?

Maybe you split the team up to different parts of the building. After a while you have coms trouble. Breaking up and stuff. Then no coms possible. What now?

You're in you house/vehicle running a few drones when somebody jams your signal and trys to take one!

How exciting is this gathered around a table? How exciting will this be when you are physically separated by hundreds, thousands of miles and don't have to roll play ignorance of what is happening at locations where you are not present?

Thanos
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Thanos007)
3)Why all the hate'n. Think of the cool things that could be done.

Because if this ever gets off the ground, and we don't hate now, we're probably going to hate later.

Again, the more we hate and get our hates addressed (if they can or should be), the better the final product (if any).

~J
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (GreyPawn @ Jan 10 2005, 11:28 PM)
Getting back to basics...as perma-death, player advancement and other such elementary questions have already been answered, what is the general consensus of the idea of a Shadowrun MMO?

Would you play it?  Would you not play it?  What would lead you to it and what would keep you there?

I don't see that all of these have actually been answered, but maybe that's just me.

Would I play it? No. I don't have the time to invest in a MMO that will take hours upon hours of my time to play at a competitive level (Hell, to even play at a level where I won't have to do chickensh*t runs and will have some half-decent toys).

edit: Furthermore, part of Shadowrun is great storytelling and getting to be a mover and shaker in that story. Most MMO's can't do this in any half-decent way. We can agree that Star Wars has some great characters and storytelling, but then look at Star Wars Galaxies. A mistake like that can't be made with Shadowrun for the simple fact that Shadowrun doesn't have the fan base that Star Wars does. There will prolly always be Star Wars video games, whereas the Shadowrun franchise is not so strong, and a poor release could sink the possibility of another game.
Kagetenshi
Frankly, I don't see that any of them have been answered, at least not satisfactorily. You've said how you're doing it, I've yet to see how you're going to make it work.

~J
noneuklid
You can make death permanent under certain condition if you enable account experience, whereby a certain percentage of experience gained applies to the account in addition to the character who gained it; so, for instance, when one gains 5 karma, 2 of it is also applied to all future new characters that player creates. This means that a permadead character isn't as big a setback as it might otherwise be (although I support making death somewhat forgiving, especially at first). You would lose its history, street cred, and some of the total power, but you wouldn't need to start over from scratch.

This would also make a half-decent method of balancing certain elements; say, for instance, that a player has to permanently spend some of this account karma in order to play a metavariant, or in order to buy certain Edges/Flaws at creation.

Runs would probably have to be instanced branching missions. Finishing a run for a johnson would improve your rep with his corp or organization, and you'd get access to more lucrative missions over time. Alternately, botching missions could kill your cred and maybe even get contracts put out on you/your team. -but there couldn't be any camping or 're-running' missions, because they would usually only be available to the team that got them and only once.

I would suggest that the game run on the premise of "assisted aim," whereby a player has to actually target their weapon, but the character's level of skill providing a balancing factor; so, for instance, a highly unskilled character with a ranged weapon might fire wildly despite the player directly targeting an opponent, while a player of a highly skilled character might not quite lead enough or whatnot, but the character's abilities would compensate (something like the way firing works in most of the Bond console games, where just facing in the general direction of the enemy allows semi-accurate firing but targeting improves this significantly). Actions like "Aim" would occur automatically if the character has a drawn weapon, has one target directly in their line of fire, and isn't doing anything else.

Karma could be awarded by objective, just like it is in the tabletop. Put in arbitrary things, like "+1 Karma if less than X enemies killed." or "+1 Karma if all data found and retrieved." I'd reccomend Charisma-based functions working something like they do in Arcanum, where during interaction, you are given possible responses in a box and select one in order to continue the interaction. The better your Charisma (and to some extent, Intelligence, and relevant Language or Background skills as decided by the scripter), the better your choices. Selecting a target should let you bring up a radial that operates on hotkeys with possible interactions, ranging from such favorites as "shoot in the face" to "ask for #." Intimidation would be just another possible venue of Charisma-based interaction choices, with success determined by skill and rep, much like the tabletop. I don't know that Interrogation could be supported in an MMO, sadly.

Probably one of the hardest aspects of the game to compensate for will be speed boosts. A character with Wired Reflexes 3, four or five Reaction Enhancers, Quickness 12 and Intelligence 8 is pretty damn fast- much faster than a real person could ever be. This is a problem if there is a real person at the controls.

paul_HArkonen
First off to answer the question would I play it? I can't give you that answer now. If done well, and in ways that address the concerns/hate that I have for all existing MMOs I would play, but that applies to any game. Just being SR doesn't mean I would play it.

However, that said, SR does have some inherent advantages to becoming an MMO.

1. The rules, as they exist now, are already designed for total character fluidity. You can be anything you want, a warrior (Sam), a support class (decker/rigger), a healer/spellcaster (Mage/Shaman), a charismatic leader (face of somesort), or a behind the scenes cordinator (PC Johnson). You can be a good person in a bad situation, taking runs to help out the week. You could be a master criminal out for the profit only, or anything in between.

2. The enviroment is designed where the sort of Shadow economy must be going on. You can get your weapons from your fixer, or from your fellow PC.

3. SR is already based on missions where just camping gets you dead. Looking for "monsters" to kill gets you dead. You have to be looking for survival and you have to be running missions to survive.

SR has one of the best opportunities for becoming the first MMO that I would be willing to play; however, there are certain things that need to be addressed.

The first is PermaDeath. In my opinion PD must be in an SR game, and should be in any MMO (but that's a different arguement for a different time). Death must be painful, and something to be avioded at all times. I think that an SR game without PD would be a failure, at least to the name of SR.

The second concern is the issue of real time and character speed vs. player speed.
My personal solution to that would be to do something unheard of in MMOs, (at least so far as I know of) Make it turn based. Tell the sam he gets three actions this turn, and the mage he gets only one. Then run the turn, the Sam takes his actions, and the mage takes his one. Then the next turn starts and you repeat. Honestly, I think that the only way to deal with the issue of Player Vs. Character speed is through turn based combat.

But, if anyone has any other solutions/suggestions to deal with either concern I'm open to them those are just my personal, and likely unpopular, opinions.
Jrayjoker
Well, if it goes turn based (for combat only?) then it cant be massively multiplayer...
paul_HArkonen
well then what is your suggestion for how to balance the player speed vs. the character speed?
Trax
How about some kind of "bullet time" effect, or like what they are doing in the Matrix Online?
paul_HArkonen
For some of us, (me for example) you'll have to explain what Matrix online is doing.
Trax
Personally no idea, i'm not in the beta. But it's kinda like in the movies where the action around the person slows down and they do all those moves. Someone else watching however would see it all in a slightly accelerated motion, like when the agent is doding the bullets.

That's just a guess though.
Kagetenshi
Unfortunately for it to do exactly what you describe the game would actually have to bend time, so I'm going to say it probably doesn't do that.

What it probably does is slows the game down for everyone else in the immediate area, which is essentially a "weak" turn-basing.

~J
Thanos007
Paul. Seriously. PD. Not gonna happen. Ev-er. Give it up. The only way I would even consider playing a game with PD is if you find a way to limit or outright stop griefers. Don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Turn based? How about if it can include anyone. You're deep in the arcology and stumble across a group already in combat. On the next turn as determined by your init. you can join, or not, combat.

As for the haters. How about this. Offer constructive criticism (which pretty much you have been) but with out some of the attitude. Why not say, "Heres where I think there is a problem for me personally or everyone generally. This is my take on it and how I would solve it. Or this is a problem but I don't know how to solve it. Good luck with that.

Think about it. Grey Pawn seems like he wants to change how these types of games work and are played. Is it too much to ask for a little help. Also think of how cool it would be if 1)they nail the atmosphere of SR and 2) they come close to a rules/character set that reflects the pnp game.

Thanos

Thought about it. Turn based doesn't seem like it would work.
Kagetenshi
How about this-- how about there's someone here making an extraordinary claim (that they can make a Shadowrun MMORPG work)? How about extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence? How about nothing is going to get improved by saying what a great idea this is and coming up with all sorts of great ideas for it? The problem with this project isn't the lack of good things for it. They sprout up like weeds, they're so damn common. No, what we need is to rip this project to shreds, to tear every idea to pieces, and then if anything emerges, well then, then we'll say GreyPawn has a viable project.

We, or at least I, am telling him why he can't do this well. The only acceptable answer is to come right back and tell me why I'm wrong, not say I should stop the hating.

And I want to reiterate: I hope he succeeds. If I didn't, I wouldn't bother with all this.

~J
Core Dump
What's that thing about speed?

I mean, getting wired 3 doesn't make you go faster a la Max Payne or something, just makes you react much more quickly, allowing you to perform more actions without delays in a set amount of time.

move-by-wire only makes you go ultra smooth and maybe more fluid/speedy than normal human, but not a la bullet time.

The normal SR system works well in a MMORPG:
1d init: Act once every 3 seconds
2d init: Act twice every 3 seconds
and so on.

Or the other way around, initiative reduces cooldown of actions, which is more inline. For example, normally, Complex Action(spells) takes 3 seconds to cast, and simple, 1.5. If you are wired 1, it take 2 seconds for complex and 1 for simple, and so on.

Maybe not making it random with reaction tho, maybe an average, or use reaction just for surprise and round order or something.

GreyPawn
Let me see if I can answer a few questions at a time here.

On Combat
Firstly, to the suggestion and question about what The Matrix Online is doing for combat- The Matrix Online is doing an "interlock" system of combat, which is a unique thing to MMOs. It functions on a basic rock/paper/scissors style of determining who is winning the combat and why, interspersing this with interesting looking movie-esque manuevers. The advantage to this is that it makes combat really interesting to watch and participate in. The disadvantage is that the learning curve for the interface and system can be a little troublesome to players more accustomed to the more orthodox means of combat.

Turn-based variants are not a viable option for a persistant state world. At least not right now. The problem with making an MMO turn-based is that the entire world would be in such a flux it would be immersion breaking. Now, don't get me wrong, turns *will* pass, in very much a similar way that they do in the pen & paper RPG, but turns in combat will be seamlessly integrated. Wholly turnless combat in an MMO would create something along the lines of Unreal Tournament. The ideal is a balance between the First Person Shooter turnless style and a Fallout action points system. Balance, predictable user-functions and immersion are the key elements to consider when thinking about combat and how it will be translated into an MMO.

Permanent or even temporary character death is not an option. You don't get to put character death in an MMO that you want to be successful. As in, having over 10k subscribers. While I do understand the direction that the character death purists are coming from, do understand that a tabletop pen & paper and an MMO are different types of creatures. You cannot save your progress in an MMO, because the world is persistant and does not center around the personal player, unlike single-player PC games. When you log out of a PC game in which you can Quicksave and Quickload your 1 life character, the world ceases to exist. Not so in an MMO. When you log out of Ultima Online, EQ, DAoC, WoW and all of the other MMORPGs, the world continues to churn regardless of your absence. The investment of a great many man-hours in a person's character could potentially be wiped out completely by a faulty dialup connection or a lapse in judgement. Additionally, the pen & paper variant allows for GM discretion regarding character death. A universe programmed in cut and dry code is not so forgiving as your friend Bob the GM who hands out Hand-of-Gods like Halloween candy.

The character death issue is really probably the only thing not open for change in the SRO project. It would utterly doom the game before even being pitched.

In response to Core Dump, you hit the nail right on the head. Thats exactly how I see Initiative being used in the game, and it makes the most sense. Action number in a set amount of time and action recycle. It also lends to greater ease in mechanics balancing to avoid some issues experienced in the pen & paper.

How about this-- how about there's someone here making an extraordinary claim (that they can make a Shadowrun MMORPG work)? How about extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?

It is an extraordinary claim. No doubt about it. Chances are very high that it *will* in all actuality fail, as most game concepts do before they see the light of day. But I've got enough vision and hutzpah to see it through, I believe. Shadowrun lends itself naturally to being an online game. The basic premise is there, along with all of the well refined mechanics and physics, and it has a history and lore that no other game out there even comes close to matching in terms of quality. As for extraordinary evidence, I can provide none. What I can provide is a base of operations for a community who wishes to help build a game that could very well introduce hundreds of thousands to the wondrous story of Shadowrun, and fashion into being the very vision of a live, immersive and interactive world.

I do laud your efforts at playing the part of devil's advocate. Just keep in mind that this is a work in progress, still in its infancy. Lambasting ideas for the point of playing the part of the loyal opposition isn't so much important now as proposing new ideas and opening a dialogue about them.

As an aside, I've taken the advice of many who've posted on this board and on SRO's and revamped the site a bit. Its now black and dark blue instead of blue and white, so it should be more aesthetically pleasing and easier on the eye.

--GreyPawn
--Shadowrun-Online.com
noneuklid
QUOTE (Core Dump)
move-by-wire only makes you go ultra smooth and maybe more fluid/speedy than normal human, but not a la bullet time.

The normal SR system works well in a MMORPG:
1d init: Act once every 3 seconds
2d init: Act twice every 3 seconds
and so on.

Or the other way around, initiative reduces cooldown of actions, which is more inline. For example, normally, Complex Action(spells) takes 3 seconds to cast, and simple, 1.5. If you are wired 1, it take 2 seconds for complex and 1 for simple, and so on.

The problem with the first idea is that, for, say, Move By Wire 3, you've got 4d6 initiative with an extra 'free' turn on the first pass- that's acting 5 times in three seconds. I don't know about you, but I can't move that fast and hope for any degree of accuracy.

In fact, even taking an action every second is pushing it; it would be a waste, for me as a player, to attempt to play a character with 2d6+12 initiative or better.

For the second idea, I think it's more reasonable but it doesn't integrate well with the existing rules and you start to have problems with really high initiatives again. Say, for instance, you have double normal initiative (normal initiative being 1d6+3). You'd have a 1.5-second cooldown on firing your gun. Double that, and you'd have a .75-second cooldown. Triple, and you'd have a .5-second cooldown; in other words, you'd be able to fire your pistol 6 times in 3 seconds. I don't know about you, but interface-wise, I simply cannot move that fast.

It's a good start... Hrm.
Kagetenshi
I disagree; in my experience, the time to challenge the feasibility of a project is at the beginning. Again, this is something with loads of ideas possible: metaplanes? Following SR canon through the years and introducing tech, gear, etc. over time? Using the actual SR attack/damage system behind-the-scenes, allocating combat pool to attack and defense in a menu? I submit that the death of this project, if it comes, will not be lack of ideas; it will be a focus on the ideas and neat things to the exclusion of addressing what simply doesn't work.

That being said, I'll try to intersperse my assaults with a suggestion or two.

~J
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 11 2005, 05:55 PM)
How about this-- how about there's someone here making an extraordinary claim (that they can make a Shadowrun MMORPG work)? How about extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence? How about nothing is going to get improved by saying what a great idea this is and coming up with all sorts of great ideas for it? The problem with this project isn't the lack of good things for it. They sprout up like weeds, they're so damn common. No, what we need is to rip this project to shreds, to tear every idea to pieces, and then if anything emerges, well then, then we'll say GreyPawn has a viable project.

We, or at least I, am telling him why he can't do this well. The only acceptable answer is to come right back and tell me why I'm wrong, not say I should stop the hating.

And I want to reiterate: I hope he succeeds. If I didn't, I wouldn't bother with all this.

~J

I know a little 3DSmax. I'm really no code-junkie, but I'll be darned if I can't at least do a gun model or something. 300 people doing what I can do, and you have all the graphics done. I personally hope to do whatever I can to keep this from being vaporware. (GreyPawn, my E-mail is spasticteapot@hotmail.com.)
To respond to GreyPawn, I personally think that real-time might be interesting, but turn-based might be more manageable. However, a KOTOR-style thing with seamless turns would work out dandy, and keep the players from having to constantly sit about waiting. Of course, we would need to add range modifiers and an aiming function (Lobbing CyroBan grenades can kill ANYTHING before it gets near you) to keep things balanced, but that might be the best way to go. (Perhaps make skill affect things like how well you can steady your hand, making the good shots easier, etc.) I'm no programmer, but I do know that anything more than a "push the button and slash" approach to short-range combat is all but impossible, so I would'nt bother and stick with what has worked oh-so-well for the Ledgend of Zelda series: One button to attack, another to block or parry, and a third for "powered" attacks (Killing Hands, Cyberware, etc.)

I personally would pay 20$ a month if this thing turns out well. Better to play 1 truly awesome MMORPG than two that are only mediocre. Moreover, this game has something that most games do not: A readily usable game mechanics system that's already pretty well balanced. (Ever wonder why KOTOR, Baldur's Gate, and all those other games worked so well? They were all based on D&D/D20. Shadowrun, however, has a more realistic system altogether).

Vive Shadowrun!
-SpasticTeapot.
noneuklid
You can't do turn-based in an MMO that has any real-time components whatsoever. In other words, the game has to ALWAYS occur in turns- and every player logged in has to submit their action for the turn, so no going afk or whatnot without jamming up the entire world- or you can NEVER use turns, because the times wouldn't mesh up (you'd have a player running around doing realtime things while their teammate keeps an enemy locked up in a '3 second turn' for minutes or hours). There are ways to alleviate this problem (giving turns a real-time limit, for instance), but no real way to eliminate it. Belive me, I've tried (I do a bit of math and concept for a friend's MUD; can't code worth crap, but I can put it down in ways the programmers understand).

Oh, and you *can* do better than 'push button and slash' for melee, but it's pretty damn difficult. The uber way of doing this is to combine FPS and fighting genres, but that's probably over-complicated; you'd have to have a game that played sometimes like Counterstrike and sometimes like Soul Calibur. The compromise, of course, is to use the Brawler genre approach- if you've ever played a game like the Hunter console games (based on the RPG) or Red Star (I think it's called- newish one for xbox, based on a comic book), etc, you know what I mean.
Arethusa
Turn based strategy is potentially viable online with a hybrid squad based strategy format. However, my real advice would be to ditch most of the SR rules and start from the ground up. There's no reason you can't have an online RPG that handles its shooting like a game designed to handle firearms, as oppoesed to every mistaken online RPG thus far that has tried and failed.

But, all that said, while I can say I don't find a workable design impossible, I do find the project's success dubious, and I really fall in Kage's camp in terms of skepticism. From what I've read so far, I'm not sure you guys really understand what you can be getting into here.
noneuklid
I agree that it's unlikely, but like Kage, I really hope it succeeds. Since the whole premise of this project is to pitch a complete idea to Microsoft and then have them code and market the game, it seems like the two hardest elements are coming up with a design that enough of the community agrees on to have enough people supporting the project that MS is interested in the potential revenue.

Having a squad-based game probably wouldn't work for a persistant MMO, although it would function just fine if the characters were persistant but the 'world' was created on an on-demand basis.
Arethusa
To clarify, going the turn based squad level strategy route demands instancing, which has its own fairly significant downsides.
noneuklid
Well... you'd have to have a totally instanced system; even something as simple as walking into a shop from the street would need a new 'area'.

And oh Eris the streets... frag, how would you handle those with any nod towards reality whatsoever?
FrostyNSO
It'd certainly be great for Shadowrun as a genre if this were to succeed, but alas, a small part of me hopes it doesn't...I in no way have enough free time to devote to an MMO game, which by their natures, tend to be very time consuming.
I think an MMO would turn off quite a few players because of this.

A Deus-Ex style game with multiplayer capabilities would be ideal in my opinion. Especially if it included a world-builder and GMing system (only much better) similar to that found in Neverwinter Nights.
Sabosect
I've been reading this for some time and must say that without PD, you pretty much defeat the purpose of ShadowRun and make a game as far from SR as you can get. A lot of the SR's atmosphere is provided by the little voice in the back of your head that is telling you your character can very well die. It is how you sit there and ask yourself how you can get your character out alive ICly. And you know that there are no "Get out of Death Free" cards and that it will be permanent. You remove that, you might as well make a fancy version of Candyland, as they'll both be equally SR.

What you have is a game that will be based on SR, but it won't be SR.
Stumps
I almost cry at the thought of thousands of "shadowrunners" running around the streets doing "shadowruns".

It's almost as bad as when I watch my friend play everquest 2 and he fishes and cooks for 4 hours.
Could you see a shadowrunner sitting in the middle of the barrens with a hunting rifle, sniping devil rats for 4 hours to make 'health' for his friends?

I in no way have enough free time to devote to an MMO game, which by their natures, tend to be very time consuming.

Scratch both of those thoughts:

Guild Wars takes the best elements of today's massively multiplayer online games and combines them with a new mission-based design that eliminates the tedium of those games. You can meet new friends in towns or outposts, form a party, and then go tackle a quest together. Your party always has its own unique copy of the quest map, so camping, kill-stealing, and long lines to complete quests are all things of the past. Within a quest you have unprecedented freedom and power to manipulate the world around you: your magic can build bridges and open up new pathways, or it can burn down forests and tear the ground asunder.

You don't have to spend countless hours on a leveling treadmill to get to the interesting parts of the game, because combat is designed to be strategically interesting and challenging right from the beginning. You don't have to spend hours running around the world to prepare for a quest, because Guild Wars allows you to instantly travel to the beginning of any quest that you've previously unlocked. You'll never spend days playing only to discover that choices you made early on have left you with a permanently uncompetitive character, because the unique skill system in Guild Wars allows infinite experimentation but doesn't allow bad decisions to ruin a character. And you'll never meet new players only to discover that you can't play with them or compete against them because their characters are on a different server than yours; in Guild Wars, all characters live in one seamless world.

Built for Competition

After learning the game and building up your first character, you may choose to test your skills in head-to-head competition or guild warfare. The game is designed to reward player skill and teamwork, not time spent playing, so you won't need to spend hundreds of hours leveling up your character to compete.

The game includes integrated support for guilds, with guild banners and halls, chat rooms and forums. Guilds can challenge other guilds to battle, compete for control of key parts of the world, and be ranked on a worldwide ladder.

Unique Streaming Technology

ArenaNet's unique streaming technology forever eliminates the concept of patching a game. You don't have to wait a month for the next big patch to experience new content. Instead, the game constantly and intelligently streams new content to your computer in the background while you play. The world can change continually. This allows us to build a much more dynamic game world than any that has existed before

The stuff I highlighted is the stuff that's imporant to this SRMMORPG idea.
First of all, Guild Wars has basically done what we've all been wanting to be done.
Slitting the throat on the eternal-leveling-up system.
Second, the entire "fighting to own parts of the world" would go VERY well in SR for those players who chose to play as Corporate Players, and got together to fight for one of the big shot Corps out there.

-----
As to the entire thing about combat and how to do the reflex thing and all that stuff.
Simple really, cause it's not actually that hard.

Guy A moves faster than Guy B.
That's our problem right?

Just use a simple in-game MACRO system that basically allows the players to group actions together in linked movements, and can be assigned to any key of their choosing.
Adding in an "auto-fight" button would also be handy, and/or a "repeat combo" button. This way, if the player ever gets into a fight and needs a new combo set-up, they can click the "repeat-combo" or "auto-fight" button so they can go set up a new combo specifically tailored for their present apponent.

Make the MACRO a simple [selector box] + [selector box] + [selector box] system would be the way to go, where each selector box is a possible action that you have in your arsenal (active and otherwise broken down in a simple tree file layout) and a simple "you can not do that combo" check for combos made that can't happen. ("simple + simple + complex", rather than the working "free + simple + simple")

You can also make reloading a clickable checkbox to have your character reload automatically, or you could chose to do it manually.

"Crap! I can move 10 times in 3 seconds! How do I even pull of those moves!?"
Answer? Press 10 buttons for 10 completely different combonations of simple and complex actions, mixed together, where they are allowed, or press 2 buttons 5 times to get two combinations 5 times over.

How does this "look" on MY screen.
*shrug* that's up to the designers, and isn't a programming chore.
I sould stay clear of the bullet time because it's WAY overused right now.
I would rather suggest using the concept built into The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. The character moved so fast, with some of the moves, that all you saw was a split of light and tracers of his move. It was actually more like watching a "slow" teleportation.

How does this "look" on THEIR screen.
The same as it does on yours. So fast that you barely see what's going on.

The thing is, you don't need to worry about being able to press a whole bunch of options, buttons, or anything.
All you need is CTRL + 1-0. That's more than enough combos.
CTRL + 1, Click
CTRL + 2, Click
CTRL + 3, Click
etc...

Each one of those CTRL + #, Click's is a compilation of free, simple or complex actions.

The actual bigger trick, is to make the movements actually take up the proper amount of time so that there is never that awkward moment where you shoot your gun and wait to shoot again eventhough you are still actively listed as "fireing"(Star Wars Galaxies).
Stumps
And another thing.

Everyone seems to be concentrating on an idea based around the concept that "Shadowruns" will purely come from the game engine and be game made quests.

Why does that have to be the case?

Offer up the option for players to play as Mr. Johnsons.
This removes ALL of the responsibility resting on the game to offer jobs, and it opens up more diversity to what the players are offered.

Every roll that there is in Shadowrun (minus the "don't touch that's" ...IE's) is an option for the players to play as.

Corporate Executive? Sure.
Corporate Runner? Sure.
Corp Scientist? Why not.
Street Doc? Go for it.
Mr. Johnson? Almost a must.
Lonestar Officer and other positions? Hell yes.

It can go on and on and on.

Players are the BEST counter-check for players.
paul_HArkonen
I have to agree with Stumps on the option for players to be a Corp employee, Johnson, or whatever else, but I'm not sure people would want to play one. I can see Myself, an Avid RPer, a person who would be playing this to RP a character, choosing to be a johnson, or a Corp exec, or whatever, but the average Joe that an MMO has to sell to, I'm not so sure. I can see Johny "first time ever hearing of SR" Smith sitting down in front of his computer and building his character. "Ooh, I can have cyberware, and be fast like Neo, or I can have magic and 'cast the spells that makes the people fall down'" but I don't see a first time player deciding, "I can have cyber, or magic, but I think I'll be really good at talking, yeah, that's it, I'll talk, a lot." It's a great Idea, and I wish people were interested enough in it, but some how I suspect they wouldn't be.

In terms of PD I think Sabosect is right, with no PD it's not really SR. Now I understand that it would be hard to sell, but I just don't know of a way to have characters not die and still maintain the atmosphere of SR, where every mistake could end it, permanently. I am open to any realistic suggestions, but without PD I have visions of runners all just trying to cut their way through the Arc, dieing, and then trying it again to try and gain XP, or complete the "run" they've been assigned.

I don't know what to do about the speed issue, but my only thought is, You can't make it real time. The obvious reason for that is I, the player, can't even track movement of 4-5 actions a second, it becomes a giant blur to me. If you slowed down everything all the time you'd have a feeling of clunkyness, and just going to shop for something would take hours in real time. I understand the difficulty of turns, and I realize that they are difficult to implement in an MMO, because they do lead to a discontinuity, And they lead to set aside "combat zones". I don't know, Stumps's idea has merits, but only if we were to slow down a combat turn, like if instead of 3 seconds it was 30 seconds. I could track the movement, a Sam could get his X number of actions off, and the mage could spend the full 30 taking his. I don't know how well it would work, but that's my suggestion.

I would love to see this succeed, I really would, but I agree with Kage, as do a few others. If we don't really scrutinize the project now, before we're enamoured with our own brilliance, we never will, and we will end up with a second rate Idea, one that doesn't do SR justice.
Kagetenshi
Stumps: in addition to Paul's point, you need a huge userbase to make that kind of thing self-sustaining.

~J
paul_HArkonen
I'd think you need a huge Userbase to make any MMO work. And don't get me wrong Stump's idea is exactly what I think an MMORPG should have, almost entirely self contained content, everyone is a PC, but I just don't know that it could work.
Kagetenshi
It's true that you need a huge userbase to begin with, but I think really making it self-sustaining would require an order of magnitude more users (I could see a MMORPG growing rather than dying with high hundreds of player, but I can't see self-sustaining without player quantities in the thousands).

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012