Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
BitBasher
Masaru was caught by surprise when a group of 4 runners entered his lair. He injured the group's mage, inflicting a serious, then the mage managed to take Masaru down with a stun spell. The rest of the group is unharmed. The fact that a mage with S damage could still take a dragon down with 1 spell tells you something.
Yep it tells me that the author has abolutely NO CLUE how the Twist Fate ability works, nor does he have a strong grasp of the mechanics behind Shielding. The mage would be looking at a TN of at least 20 or so (+3 for the serious, 12 int cause it better be an int targeted spell cause the dragon's body is over double that, and at least 6 dice in shielding assuming his shielding is even worse than a good PC's) Vs the dragon's far more reasonable TN to resist. Then after the runner gets a sucess, the dragon spends single karma pool and makes the mage reroll his success. The dragon would easily be getting more sucesses to resist though, so that's irrelevant anyway.

The adventure also specifies that, if the runners fail, Lonestar will Kill Masaru with an HTR team so even when he loaded up all his powers and decided to launch a full-out assault a Great Eastern isn't all that.
Also somehting that is pretty downright retarded in the context of the universe.

so even when he loaded up all his powers and decided to launch a full-out assault a Great Eastern isn't all that.
The ghostwalker incident pretty strongly disagrees with you. Statistically they aren't really different from each other.

The bottom line is that Things with enemies don't get to live 30k years because they get shot and die at the drop of a hat. Let's have some common sense here.
mfb
you're ignoring the parts of canon that say things like "never deal with a dragon." a handful of disconnected examples does not equal a canonized statement about the general level of preparedness of dragons.
DrJest
You know, that whole business with Masaru in SotU never made sense to me, largely because of the breakdown BB made (except that, not having read up on dragons, I had no idea about this Twist Fate thing). Increasingly it just looks like bad scripting.
Fortune
That is also not considering that at least half of the Powers available to Great Dragons were not even hinted at in SR2, when SotU was released.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Fortune)
That is also not considering that at least half of the Powers available to Great Dragons were not even hinted at in SR2, when SotU was released.

Even without Twist Fate, the situation changes basically not at all for that encounter.

It reminds me of 2XS, the novel. I liked the novel, but there was a passage about driving into the slums from an affluent neighborhood, and in the good part of town people drove Nightskys and Phaetons and in the bad area the cars were Americars and Westwinds... WESTWINDS... Good book, piss poor research.
Critias
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)
However some people simply don't want to accept Canon and are making up their own ideas of what a dragon has, in direct contravention of what the books say.

It's funny, but that closing statement can be used by this side of the argument, too. Nice try, though.
toturi
must admit that I do not have many adventure books. The only relevant one that I have is SOTF. And the defenses of Rhonabwy's lair is provided in that book. The dragon has 4 free spirits acting as guardians to his lair, Rating 5 motion sensors, Rating 6 maglock keypad, Rating 10 ward and NeuroStun. His treasury is protected by Barrier Rating 24 door and Rating 10 ward with Rating 6 maglock.
mfb
things that are why i rarely get or read adventures. it is decided that X needs to happen, so instead of trying to determine what obstruction Y would realistically be, they make Y something that your average runners can overcome. if SotF explained that Hestaby had called Rhonabwy up and told him to let a certain group of runners penetrate his lair in exchange for favors owed by a great dragon hottie, i could buy the idea that the most tech-savvy dragon on the goddamn planet employed only rating 5 motion sensors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012