Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More news of Origins
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
SL James
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA)
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 15 2005, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Jul 14 2005, 11:56 PM)
Actually I am anticipating watching a large numbher of my characters suddenly drop dead from 4thEDitis as they will now have too many wares

What makes you think that's going to happen?

The Troll Sammi I had die from 3rdEDitis

10 bio index of bioware... perfectly legal in 2nd ed... 5 essence but instantly dropped dead in 3rd ed

You didn't even get to "fix" him? He just dropped one day because the universe shifted to the left?
mfb
i, uh... yeah. my gm and i would have had a talk.
tisoz
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 15 2005, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Jul 15 2005, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 15 2005, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Jul 14 2005, 11:56 PM)
Actually I am anticipating watching a large numbher of my characters suddenly drop dead from 4thEDitis as they will now have too many wares

What makes you think that's going to happen?

The Troll Sammi I had die from 3rdEDitis

10 bio index of bioware... perfectly legal in 2nd ed... 5 essence but instantly dropped dead in 3rd ed

You didn't even get to "fix" him? He just dropped one day because the universe shifted to the left?

Well, how would you fix something like that? Keep in mind that the character may have been played online (or similar environment) where one just can not bend the rules to accomodate one player because it would give them an advantage over all the other characters.

[edit] I guess one fix is to let them play cyberzombies. [/edit]

I have had several characters become obsolete because of rule changes, or just plain screwed over. Like a magician who got mnemonic enhancer installed the session before it got toned way the hell down.

Btw, it is kind of humorous to me that they are changing bio index to essence. When Shadowtech first introduced bioware, I (and the group) treated bio index as essence loss. Skipped right over a few rules. nyahnyah.gif
mfb
it's a rules change. even on shadowland, we accomodate rules changes in ways that don't overly screw a character. if they change the rules in a way that would make your character drop dead, no online community in its right mind would not allow you to remove enough cyber/bioware to make him a viable character again. i mean, jeesh, that's harsh.
tisoz
Ok, that is a solution, and I suppose they get all the costs back, too. But what if the character needs every bit of augmentation for the concept and maybe to be worth a damn? Like the mnemonic enhancer thing, it did not hurt my character, but it sure did suck and if the ruling had occurred prior to my character getting that piece of 'ware, he would not have gotten it. The GM thought it was kind of funny. I thought it sucked, but my character was like, "Hmm, this thing doesn't work near as good as I heard it did."
Capt. Dave
In my game, tisoz, I would have given you the option to not have it installed. That type of cirucmstance was outside the game, due to a rules change, so I wouldn't make your character be stuck with it.

As to rules changes screwing over characters, we as a group vote on what errata we use. We do it as a group because of stuff like tisoz's situation. I might not care about a new ruling for Mnemonic enhancer, but a player who has one most likely will.

@ Topic: (kinda)
I think that with the combination of Bio Index and Essence, a few of my characters might just have to retire. That's one mechanic (among many) that I'm very interested in seeing.
Eldritch
I'm really curious about how the conversion rules will work. I mean, I got a decker with a computer skill of 6, and an Int of 5.

Do I have to split my 6 computer skill points among the new computer skills group that Computer got split into? That would make my character less than what he was. Get 6 in each new computer skill? That doesn't sound right.

And Int. Do I get 5 points in each of the skills int was split up into? Or do I get to split them up - once again, severly weakening my orginal character..

Not that I plan on using the conversion rules, I'm just wondering how they will execute them.
Kremlin KOA
Mfb I just played an ork adept next... new campaign began with 3rd ed so it was easier.... Then I played a wierd shaman (Jaguar totem... except in his mind the totem was the car, not the animal)
Critias
No sane and/or decent GM in the world wouldn't give characters a chance to update themselves to match a new rules-set. If "Man and Machine II: OMG So Much Chrome!" were to come out tomorrow, and in addition to adding a bunch of new stuff it doubled the Essence costs of every existing piece of cyberware, people would get the chance to have stuff pulled out of them instead of having their characters spontaneously combust.

It's like with Program Carriers, from 1st Edition. They ruled that using them gave characters cancer (or something similarly lame), in order to make that piece of chrome no longer available, so they could sort of "make room" for Otaku (not wanting normal deckers to be able to jack in without a deck any more). I don't think very many GMs went "Oh, hah hah! Your old decker has Program Carriers! Now he has cancer! Now he's dead! And so is Dodger, and Fastjack, and your mom!" I'd say most GMs just went "Huh. Oh well. That piece of chrome isn't available any more. We'll pretend you never had it, or you can get something else instead with that Essence, or something. Edition changes suck, sometimes, huh?"

I mean, if your GM is such a jackass that he doesn't give his players at least the option to update/evolve a character to keep up with a rules change, he doesn't deserve to have very many players.
mfb
seriously. what about all the 2nd edition mages who used un-nerfed anchoring to complete their runs and survive ambushes? do they suddenly die because the drain they should have taken at activation would have imposed enough wound penalties to get them killed? what about the deckers with rating 1 datajacks--do they suddenly gain hundreds of thousands of nuyen because they would have been able to complete their runs faster with SR3 datajacks? killing a character because the edition change screwed them over is just silly.

i mean, okay, if you decide you don't want to play the same char in the new edition, great. your choice, and all. but i'm just saying, if someone's GM forced the issue by using an edition change as a weapon, the GM ought to be dragged out and shot. preferably with a 1st-edition rocket ripple.
OSUMacbeth
Yay! Be astounded as I lob in my two-cent grenade! As my current focus is on Magic, I'll comment on that, chiefly.

You no longer have to buy spells at a specific force:
Yay! Jack up the cost however much you like, I don't care. I always thought this mechanic seemed a bit...mechanical, anyhow. And I didn't like how a lot of spells had no reason to be bought beyond a certain force. It was also bloody annoying that you had to keep paying for the same spell you've had since forever rather than getting newer, wizzier spells. Also, I disliked how it made it brain-dead to get anything but force 6 good spells at the beginning, since getting them at 6 increased the amount of time until you had to upgrade. Feelings: Positive.

Magic starts below 6 and must be bought up
Yay! It's possible to make characters who are not all that great at magic but who still have it. Boo! I'm worried about too many players "splashing" a bit of magic ability for some utility. I like this change if and only if they prevent every bloody character having magic because it's no longer such an investment. Feelings: Guarded

Hermetic Mages and Shamans can now each Bind or Spontaneously Summon
Yay! Mages can summon on the fly! Boo! I feel less distinction between myself and shamans now, something that I treasure. I always liked that there were small but vital differences in the way these two traditions worked. It was a simple choice: If you wanted an on-the-fly ace-in-the-hole, be a shaman. If you wanted a more tactical game where you planned ahead and worked out contingencies ahead of time, you played a mage. I'm really going to miss that. Feeling: Cautiously optimistic, but worried

Drain seems more likely to affect you
Boo! As a mage I enjoy being able to cast for long periods of time so long as I am more judicious with the power level of my spells. So long as I can still resist the occasional damage level S-equivalent spell, I'll be happy. If casting things with an M causes even light fatigue to a dedicated, well-played mage then I'll probably be switching to a sammie. Not that I mind, I enjoy playing everything. Feeling: Really Quite Worried

If there's one thing I really, REALLY hope they fix about mages, it's to nerf the hell out of Foci of all kinds. In my opinion, they are ridiculously, game imbalancingly powerful, and I feel dirty and used any time I make use of them. I mean really, who needs these things to be so powerful? I've never, ever felt that I needed them to be successful (except the occasional sustaining focus or spirit focus.) I wish they would make it such that you could only have one of each type bonded to you at any given time, and that the total force of all foci bonded to you at a time could not exceed, say Int or int x 1.5. I feel more than capable without them, so I really hope they tone them down a bit.

Off-Base Rant: And who says that a mage wouldn't buy smartlink + whatever even if it cost .01 essence? smile.gif My current mage (former bodyguard) has cybereyes, a smartlink, and several pieces of bioware (Total cost < 1 Essence) and I'd pit him against a mage with magic 1 higher any day of any week you can imagine. Even this small bit of cyberware has opened tactical possibilities impossible to most mages. I'm seriously questioning if I'll ever play a non-cybered Awakened character again.

OSUMacbeth
Ellery
The ability to cast force 6 spells was important in SR3, but won't be with the new mechanic, so the penalty for starting mages to take cyberware will go down. If you combine that with presumably cheaper costs to get partial magical ability, I'd expect to see many more mages with a bit of cyber, or street sams with a bit of magic.

If foci stay powerful, then maybe you'll still be able to cast a M-drain spell without taking stun. Perhaps you shouldn't wish for them to be toned down!

I don't quite understand why you're cautiously optimistic about the merging of mage and shaman summoning. Your comments are almost entirely negative. Is the "woo, new toys!" factor big enough to offset all the disadvantages of having new toys (i.e. that the richness of subtle distinctions is gone)? Or might you better be characterized as tentatively pessimistic, but still openminded on that one?
Synner
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jul 27 2005, 07:24 AM)
The ability to cast force 6 spells was important in SR3, but won't be with the new mechanic, so the penalty for starting mages to take cyberware will go down.  If you combine that with presumably cheaper costs to get partial magical ability, I'd expect to see many more mages with a bit of cyber, or street sams with a bit of magic.

And you'd be jumping to conclusions on both counts.

I have no idea where you're getting the "ability to cast force 6 spells was important in SR3, but won't be with the new mechanic" but its just plain wrong. At the very least if the average Att is now 3 and Magic is treated as a normal Attribute then Force 6 is the highest Force a "typical" mage will be capable of casting and he will be taking Physical Drain for exceeding his Magic. Regardless there are also such relevant facts as: it has been suggested that Drain might be harder to resist, how Drain is calculated, and you don't know how Force/hits/successes factor into spells, etc.

Regarding mages and cyber in general, until you know how Essence and Magic relate under the new rules - comments at Origins suggest they function just like they always did - you're assuming way too much. While it may be cheaper to pick up "partial magical ability" it might prove useless to a wired magician depending on how Essence (and Bioware which now costs Essence) factors in.

If foci stay powerful, then maybe you'll still be able to cast a M-drain spell without taking stun.  Perhaps you shouldn't wish for them to be toned down!

You're right here. Foci will still be a vital component of a mage's arsenal just like a gun is to a sammy. With the new system their bonding costs and prices will probably be adjusted to reflect the new system's balance, but I figure they'll be as important as ever if not more.
Wireknight
Well, I hope at least one of the conclusion she's jumping to is valid, regarding cyberware and partial magical ability.

If characters with reduced Essence need to buy multiple points of magic in order to have any magic rating at all (i.e. a character with 4.5 Essence needs to buy Magic up to 3 in character creation in order to get Magic 1 in play), then... eh, it's a design choice, but it's not a design choice I would make. I hope that magical ability in minor amounts, even with cyberware, is relatively easy to get. The alternative, as outlined above, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The idea that I liked the best would be to have a character's Essence impact their maximum magic, not their current magic.

It's a crude oversimplification to suggest they function as they always did. Magic does not function as it used to, so nothing related to it can "function as it always did". If my above example is correct, but magic burns out at 0 "like it always did", does that mean that characters with Essence lower than 6 cannot ever Awaken later in life, as they will Awaken, automatically assess the Essence reduction to their new Magic rating of 1, and burn out instantly? Does having Magic directly linked to Essence, given Magic's new maximum rating of 6, result in Magic working as it always did?

I think that there are too many changes in the basic attribute mechanics of magic, and dice mechanics of the magic rules, to think that preserving certain outward functions that were existent in SR1-SR3 in an eye of keeping things the same will actually result in the same system behavior. The system's different, and if you want the same (or similar, "the same" is virtually unachievable) behavior, it's probably going to require a lot of mechanical dissimilarity between editions.
Hell Hound
QUOTE (Wireknight)
... I hope that magical ability in minor amounts, even with cyberware, is relatively easy to get.  ...  The idea that I liked the best would be to have a character's Essence impact their maximum magic, not their current magic.

I have to say that for me that spells M U N C H K I N like nothing else. If a character can have three essence points of cyber/bioware and then purchase a few points of magic with no alteration in the cost for those magic points then why would anyone go for a mundane character? Sure the mundane has three aditional points of essence to play with but the powers of magic would more than balance that out, and even if the characters essence limits the maximum of their magic attribute foci can counteract that drawback.

I don't mind magical ability with cyberware as long as there are obvious and truly limiting drawbacks for doing so. Only if the SR4 rules have some serious power limitations based on a character's magic attribute would I consider changing my position, and I'm not sure I would want that kind of power cap.
SL James
QUOTE (Synner)
If foci stay powerful, then maybe you'll still be able to cast a M-drain spell without taking stun.  Perhaps you shouldn't wish for them to be toned down!

You're right here. Foci will still be a vital component of a mage's arsenal just like a gun is to a sammy. With the new system their bonding costs and prices will probably be adjusted to reflect the new system's balance, but I figure they'll be as important as ever if not more.

I hate using foci, or rather, it always seemed to me to be more appropriate to expect the shit to hit the fan if the foci came out, or for the foci to come out once excrement encountered the air-moving appliance.
The Jopp
uuhm, ok, so according to Bull we have a condition monitor that is 8+1/2 BOD for physical and 8+1/2 WIL for mental, fine, now, here's my little question.

If you get a +1 modifier for every 3 boxes of damage it will get a bit confusing when we compare a normal human and say a Troll with a body of 16 (yes, excessive but I just use it to get my point across.)

Human: 10 Boxes
Troll: 16 Boxes

Human: 9 boxes of damage= +3 / 12 boxes of damage= overdamage and unconcious

Troll: as above but when taking 12 boxes of damage is a +4 modifier and if they take 15 boxes of damage (as with the human 1 box of damage from unconcious) they have a +5 modifier.

Percentage wise they have basically taken the same amount of damage to their body but the troll has a harder time of doing anything worthwhile whilst the human has an easier way with "only" a +3 modifier?
Synner
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jul 27 2005, 02:35 PM)
Human: 10 Boxes
Troll: 16 Boxes

Human: 9 boxes of damage= +3 / 12 boxes of damage= overdamage and unconcious
Troll: as above but when taking 12 boxes of damage is a +4 modifier and if they take 15 boxes of damage (as with the human 1 box of damage from unconcious) they have a +5 modifier.

Percentage wise they have basically taken the same amount of damage to their body but the troll has a harder time of doing anything worthwhile whilst the human has an easier way with "only" a +3 modifier?

Flawed logic: percentage wise they have not taken the same amount of damage. At 12 boxes the human has taken proportionately (a higher percentage) more damage to his total Body than the troll (human = 100% / troll=75%).

While they have taken the same amount of damage (number of boxes) to their bodies, the troll has the ability (just like any higher Body character/critter's ability) to take more overall damage, because it is bigger, tougher and there's just more to damage (always bugged me no end that the difference between an elephant and a tiger was just five Body dice to reduce Damage).

The point is that at 12 boxes of damage the human is dead, while at 12 boxes the troll will be still standing and operating at +4 (or -4 to be perfectly correct).
Kagetenshi
The fact that a Troll can have taken less damage than a human in wound boxes/total boxes but have more penalties really sticks in my craw.

~J
Synner
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jul 27 2005, 03:35 PM)
The fact that a Troll can have taken less damage than a human in wound boxes/total boxes but have more penalties really sticks in my craw.

How'd you figure that? The mechanic is -1 for every 3 boxes of Damage. Penalties are identical all the way up to the point where a troll has more boxes than a human. 5 boxes will still be -2 whether your a human or a troll. 9 boxes still means -3 for both. At 10 boxes an average human (Bod 3) is dead or unconcious and the troll is at -3...
Kagetenshi
Human, 8 boxes out of 10 boxes: -2.

Troll, 12 boxes out of 15 boxes: -4.

Wound boxes/total boxes: .8 in each case.

I pulled the Troll's maximum boxes out of my arse, but it's the same for 12 boxes: 9 boxes out of 12 is -3, but is less of the total condition monitor than 8/10.

~J
Spookymonster
In my opinion, a strong troll with 75% of its damage boxes full (12 of 16, using the example above) should function the same as a weak human with 75% of its damage boxes full (8 of 10). Instead, the weak human is only mildly impared, while the troll is barely walking.
chevalier_neon
Yes... but remember that the Troll has got more strength and body than a human. SO even with a -3 or -4, he won't suffer too much...
Eldritch
Once again, I'm no math wiz, but I think I see where they are coming from:

Human 9 boxes
Troll 15 boxes.

they both take 3 boxes of damage.
For the human, that's one third of his total, and he's +1 now.
For the troll, thats one fifth of his total, and he's at +1 as well.

The troll has taken less over all damage - when comparied to his total - than the human, but has the same negative modifiers.

Now let's take it to 6 boxes. The humans is over half way to dead, with a +2 modifier. The troll is less than half way, he is also at +2.

Yeah, they've taken the same amount of damage, but not when compared to the entire condition monitor.

That human, at 8 boxes is a shot up, quivering mass of blood- with what, over 90% damage?. That troll should still be able to function - he's only a little over 50% damaged.

Synner
QUOTE (Synner @ Jul 27 2005, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jul 27 2005, 03:35 PM)

How'd you figure that? The mechanic is -1 for every 3 boxes of Damage. Penalties are identical all the way up to the point where a troll has more boxes than a human. 5 boxes will still be -2 whether your a human or a troll. 9 boxes still means -3 for both. At 10 boxes an average human (Bod 3) is dead or unconcious and the troll is at -3...

If that's what you meant your post should have read:
The fact that a Troll can have taken proportionately less damage than a human in wound boxes/total boxes but have more penalties really sticks in my craw.

As is my answer stands. He's taken just as much damage, he just keeps going longer.

Even if you had noted that it was less damage proportionately to total body, you'd still have to agree that the total amount of damage being soaked is still higher on a troll. To introduce proportional modifiers would complicate rather than streamline the system and this way the system reflects that the troll's (or high Body individual/critter) not any less damaged, he just has more innate toughness to keep him going after a human would go down (which is in keeping with the fact that the damage tracks reflect the amount of damage you can take, not how well you resist damage or its effects - the function of the Body/Damage Resistance roll)
Kagetenshi
I think you're misreading wound boxes/total boxes. Specifically, I'm saying "wound boxes divided by total boxes", not "wound boxes or total boxes".

~J
Jrayjoker
Bear in mind that the attribute + skill dice pool mechanic (minus the 1 per 3 boxes of damage) still gives the troll significantly more dice for strength and body based tests than the aforementioned human.
Synner
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I think you're misreading wound boxes/total boxes. Specifically, I'm saying "wound boxes divided by total boxes", not "wound boxes or total boxes".

You're right Kage. I misread it as "or". I stand corrected.
Cheops
Yeah but the human has more attribute plus skill dice for just about every other stat. And presumably paid less for his race pick so has more points to spend on other things like cyber and skills than the troll in the first place.
OSUMacbeth
To Ellery: I suppose you're correct. My view on the changes to summoning would probably be summed up better as "Slightly pessimistic, but open-minded." I'm a bit gun shy about jumping to *any* conclusions on the new system until I have a complete text in my hand, so that I can see how the whole of the rules works together. I never thought I'd see an SR4, so I pretty much consider this entire addition a "freebie" when it comes to what I expect out of it.

OSUMacbeth
mmu1
QUOTE (Synner)
Even if you had noted that it was less damage proportionately to total body, you'd still have to agree that the total amount of damage being soaked is still higher on a troll. To introduce proportional modifiers would complicate rather than streamline the system and this way the system reflects that the troll's (or high Body individual/critter) not any less damaged, he just has more innate toughness to keep him going after a human would go down (which is in keeping with the fact that the damage tracks reflect the amount of damage you can take, not how well you resist damage or its effects - the function of the Body/Damage Resistance roll)

So, an elephant will keep on going after getting wounded with a 9mm pistol not because, proportionately speaking, that injury is just an inconvenience for it, but because it has a lot more "innate toughness" than a human?

I'm sorry, but the new wound monitor's a perfect example of dumbing things down rather than streamlining them.
Starglyte
Then how would you streamline it?
mmu1
QUOTE (Starglyte @ Jul 27 2005, 02:08 PM)
Then how would you streamline it?

I'd leave it alone - the wound system is actually one of the best aspects of SR, as far as I'm concerned.

What the SR4 design team has done is not streamlining - they replaced an abstract damage monitor with hit points, and seem to have screwed up a consistent wound penalty system in the process.

The old system might have been unuseable with the changes made to combat and weapons, but that doesn't make the new one a good thing...
hyzmarca
It really depends on how much damage a single box represents and if damage is still resisted by body. If damage is resisted by body then it is already scaled proportionately to each character. The elephant would simply shrug off the 9mm pistol round without significant damage because of its body.

Say a troll and a human both step on landmines. The human gets his leg blown off, taking 9 boxes of damage. The Troll, having higher body, only takes 6 boxes and only loses a foot.

Now lets make the Troll's landmine more powerful. This time both take 10 boxes of damage. The Troll is still able to function becaue of its higher larger condition moniter but is missing an entire leg just like the unconscious human. Obviously, the Troll should suffer wound penalities as it hops around on its one good leg.
mmu1
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 27 2005, 03:15 PM)
It really depends on how much damage a single box represents and if damage is still resisted by body.  If damage is resisted by body then it is already scaled proportionately to each character. The elephant would simply shrug off the 9mm pistol round without significant damage because of its body.

Say a troll and a human both step on landmines. The human  gets his leg blown off, taking 9 boxes of damage. The Troll, having higher body, only takes 6 boxes and only loses a foot.

Now lets make the Troll's landmine more powerful. This time both take 10 boxes of damage. The Troll is still able to function becaue of its higher larger condition moniter but is missing an entire leg just like the unconscious human.  Obviously, the Troll should suffer wound penalities as it hops around on its one good leg.

You can already entirely ignore damage if you have high enough body in SR3, where everyone's wound monitor has 10 boxes.

A wound monitor doesn't represent how good you are at staying conscious despite injury. If it did, then sure, it'd make sense that a guy who could, through force of will, stay conscious with all four limbs blown off would probably be in a lot more pain than someone who passed out when someone set his badly broken wrist.

However, in any decently designed game, a wound monitor is supposed to reflect how functional you are - so a tough guy who loses 3/4 of his "hitpoints" shouldn't be less functional than a wimp that loses 3/4 of his.
Kagetenshi
Indeed. The nonsensical part of the new wound monitor is that for the barely pre-death individual (1 box short of full), the hardier individual is the more they're impaired.

~J
Synner
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Jul 27 2005, 08:42 PM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jul 27 2005, 03:15 PM)
Now lets make the Troll's landmine more powerful. This time both take 10 boxes of damage. The Troll is still able to function becaue of its higher larger condition moniter but is missing an entire leg just like the unconscious human.  Obviously, the Troll should suffer wound penalities as it hops around on its one good leg.

You can already entirely ignore damage if you have high enough body in SR3, where everyone's wound monitor has 10 boxes.

The way Body contributes to Damage Resistance is one thing, and will probablçy remain consistent in SR4 (this hasn't been officially confirmed or teasered by those involved in the demos, so we're currently unsure). However, that's not hyzmarca's point, nor was it mine. Whether you are able to reduce damage because of your innate toughness is one thing (Damage resistance), how much of the damage that actually gets through a tougher, bigger and more resilient body can take and remain "functional" is another.

What the new damage track system is meant to represent is the fact that the same amounts of Damage don't mean the same thing to bigger and tougher individuals than they do to puny or weaker ones. When Damage is equal a tougher individual can still take more punishment (not because he can "resist damage" but because his tougher system retains "functionality" longer before collapsing).

Whereas actual Damage of 10 boxes (after all Damage Resistance is resolved and damage allocated) would automatically mean unconciousness/death whether you were Body 1 or Body 22 under SR3, in SR4 the Body 22 individual/critter can take more damage before going down (though it'll still be increasingly impaired by the damage).

Going back to the elephant example - I could and would most often (statistically) kill an elephant with a single shot of a Ruger Warhawk in SR3 because Body ultimately only represented the elephant's chances of reducing the damage of the shot. Even with a Body of 30, how much damage is the elephant going to reduce of my 9M plus 5 successes? And ultimately is the elephant's huge Body any better at coping with the damage (that got through) as the wimp unarmored security guard with Body 2?

SR3 did not have a system to represent a massive/tough Body's ability to cope with more damage than a "normal" body and keep standing. SR4 incorporates slightly larger damage tracks (the biggest I saw in playtesting was a min-maxed 16 boxer) to account for this. That's all.

Kage does have a point, as long as you look at a 10 box and 15 box damage track as proportionately representing the same level of "damage capacity". However, they aren't meant to. A proportional "rolling system" of modifiers could have been worked out but the variation in track sizes just isn't big enough to warrant the extra complication. Contrary to the "hitpoints" pundits seem to think it's unlikely anything but an elephant or a dragon will have a Physical damage track of more than 20 boxes (ie. only double a baseline human).

In SR4 an average human (Bod 3) would die with 10 boxes of damage filled. A 15 box metahuman or critter which has 10 boxes filled has taken the exact same amount of damage and is equally wounded, however, its body is just capable of retaining (limited) functionality and keep going longer because it is more resilient.

Regardless, its important to keep in mind that the new mechanic functions within a different Attribute framework (and limits) and with new weapon damage and damage resistance mechanics than SR3.
Starglyte
QUOTE (mmu1)

A wound monitor doesn't represent how good you are at staying conscious despite injury. If it did, then sure, it'd make sense that a guy who could, through force of will, stay conscious with all four limbs blown off would probably be in a lot more pain than someone who passed out when someone set his badly broken wrist.

However, in any decently designed game, a wound monitor is supposed to reflect how functional you are - so a tough guy who loses 3/4 of his "hitpoints" shouldn't be less functional than a wimp that loses 3/4 of his.

Why is that? After all, the tough guy is tougher than the wimpy guy. If they both lost 3/4 of their "hitpoints", the tough guy's extra toughness should offset the same modifiers that gets applied to everybody at that level of damage. In the middle of combat, it is easier to remember that 9 points of damage gets a -2 mod for everyone. Creating a rolling scale for mods only creates more math to deal with. If they both have 9 points of damage, yes they have the same negative modifiers, but it will be while before Tough Guy gets taken down, like it should be. Streamlined and functional.
Kagetenshi
I'll address my issues with the "they don't represent the same amount of damage to the individual" view when I get back from Trader Joe's. For now I'll just say that the elephant problem would have been solved if some, anyone, had considered that an armor rating of 3 might be just a little bit too low.

On the other hand, elephants and their ilk are one of those places where the identical Power of a Heavy Pistol and a heavy Sporting Rifle really jumps out with a nonsensical result.

~J
Shadow
QUOTE (Synner)
Regardless, its important to keep in mind that the new mechanic functions within a different Attribute framework (and limits) and with new weapon damage and damage resistance mechanics than SR3.

Both of which are done extremely well in SR4. Lets hope the rest of the system is doen that well.

(hint: don't just double the rate of fire of weapons because the round is now 6 seconds. ROF is broken sr3, doubling it breaks it for SR4)
mmu1
QUOTE (Synner)
The way Body contributes to Damage Resistance is one thing, and will probablçy remain consistent in SR4 (this hasn't been officially confirmed or teasered by those involved in the demos, so we're currently unsure). However, that's not hyzmarca's point, nor was it mine. Whether you are able to reduce damage because of your innate toughness is one thing (Damage resistance), how much of the damage that actually gets through a tougher, bigger and more resilient body can take and remain "functional" is another.

If you have enough wound boxes, you can apparently take so much damage you'll be effectively disabled through wound penalties despite the fact your life isn't in danger, while someone with a much lower amount of wound boxes will be able to act, relatively unhindered, until he drops dead.

That's all there is to it - it's completely illogical, makes no sense as far as realism and game design are concernerd, and no amount of tapdancing gets around it.
OSUMacbeth
I really enjoy this: characters finally get the ability to remain standing longer after taking larger amounts of damage, and people still complain because you'll have high TN penalties. As I see it my troll should just count himself bloody lucky that he's not already a rapidly cooling corpse like the majority of humans would be at 10 boxes. Remember: You will be alive while other characters are Dead.

In reality, some people die from non-life threatening wounds suffered from say, a 9mm shot to the shoulder. The wound doesn't kill them, the shock does. But I digress. Most people who take this sort of wound are not in danger of their life. Presumably this is because their body's system is more resilient to the shock caused by systemic damage. In most cases, however, people with nearly identical wounds live. But if that second man who took a shot to the shoulder and lived were shot again near the heart, he might be very close to death, and you better believe that he would have a harder time functioning than the first person would have had he lived.

To me everyone seems to be taking the condition monitor as a percentage-based measure of how hurt you are; thinking that a human with 3/4 of his boxes filled is "as hurt" as a troll with 3/4 of his boxes filled. I say this is not at all the case. Is it not possible that the condition monitor is a measure of systemic, physical damage? In this case, a 9mm shot to the arm does exactly the same amount of systemic damage to the troll and to the human; the difference is that the troll can take, say 4 such shots before his body dies rather than the human's lesser 3 shots. If we take TN modifiers from injury to be primarily a measure of how much mechanical, systemic damage a target has taken, (i.e. both characters' arms no longer work after being shot because muscle has been blown away) then this system makes perfect, logical sense.

OSUMacbeth
SL James
It's hit points. Just because it's a new name doesn't take away from the fact that it is in effect transplanting one of the dumbest mechanics ever in RPGs into one of the simplest and sensible mechanics in Shadowrun.

QUOTE (OSUMacbeth)
In this case, a 9mm shot to the arm does exactly the same amount of systemic damage to the troll and to the human; the difference is that the troll can take, say 4 such shots before his body dies rather than the human's lesser 3 shots.

The existing soak mechanic already reflects this.
OSUMacbeth
For what it's worth, I agree. Do not try to get me to say I think this system is superior, because I wholeheartedly think that this is several dozen steps back. smile.gif The damage modeling is probably my single favorite thing about the mechanics behind the Shadowrun system. It really pains me to see it going away, perhaps more than any other single change. As long as damage staging remains, I won't complain too loudly, but I think the new damage system is the answer to a question no one asked. The thing I thought separated this system from almost all other mainstream systems was that even at later levels, you would truly fear having a light pistol pointed at you if the gunman was skilled. In D&D, I hate how a group can point ten heavy crossbows at you but you don't even break a sweat, because you know that even if every bolt hit for a critical, mathematically you would still be unable to die.

I tend to take the tack of not making up my mind about this preliminary info ahead of time because we're not getting the whole picture, but I find myself reacting to the changes in damage more than any others with a visceral hatred.

OSUMacbeth
hyzmarca
That depends on how far you can stage damage and how many boxes each damage level adds. It is very possible that staging will allow someone with enough skill to do 30 boxes of damage in 1 light pistol shot.
Ellery
QUOTE (Synner)
I have no idea where you're getting the "ability to cast force 6 spells was important in SR3, but won't be with the new mechanic" but its just plain wrong.
*blink* I can only assume that you neither play mages nor have mages cast on you (if you play SR3 at all).

The reason why casting force 6 spells was important was because the TN to resist a force 6 spell is 6. TN6 is twice has hard to achieve as TN5. (Remember that variable TN thing?) Force 6 spells are twice as hard to resist.

Thus, unless your magician cast no spells that could be resisted, casting the spells at force 6 made a very large difference--one point of force doubled the effectiveness.

The difference between 6 and 5 in SR4, given that almost everything else is linear, is likely to be around 20% (6/5 = 1.2) instead of a factor of two.
fistandantilus4.0
I'm wondering how the new body system is going to work with other things like regeneration. Like the example of the vampire that now has 15 damage boxes, and regenerates it all at the end of the round. That's assuming regeneration stays the same of course, but it's something more to keep ya' up at night if you're planning on going against anything with regeneration in SR4.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
I'm wondering how the new body system is going to work with other things like regeneration. Like the example of the vampire that now has 15 damage boxes, and regenerates it all at the end of the round. That's assuming regeneration stays the same of course, but it's something more to keep ya' up at night if you're planning on going against anything with regeneration in SR4.

The same way you fight regenerating creatures in SR3, only you use more bullets.
fistandantilus4.0
yeah, a lot more, and from a lot farther away if you can
Synner
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jul 28 2005, 03:20 AM)
QUOTE (Synner)
I have no idea where you're getting the "ability to cast force 6 spells was important in SR3, but won't be with the new mechanic" but its just plain wrong.
*blink* I can only assume that you neither play mages nor have mages cast on you (if you play SR3 at all).

The reason why casting force 6 spells was important was because the TN to resist a force 6 spell is 6. TN6 is twice has hard to achieve as TN5. (Remember that variable TN thing?) Force 6 spells are twice as hard to resist.

Thus, unless your magician cast no spells that could be resisted, casting the spells at force 6 made a very large difference--one point of force doubled the effectiveness.

The difference between 6 and 5 in SR4, given that almost everything else is linear, is likely to be around 20% (6/5 = 1.2) instead of a factor of two.

My issue is specifically with "ability to cast force 6 spells was important in SR3, but won't be with the new mechanic"

As far as I'm concerned your logic is perfect in the SR3 framework, but it hinges on how force 6 interacts with system mechanics which don't necessarily work the same in SR4 - casting (the TN 6 ultimately dictates the average number of successes), resisting (also dictates the TN for spell resistance) and drain (it also dictates your Drain level). Your maths, correct though they may be, are being presented out of context of the overall system and you can't judge relative "importance" without taking into account all the other factors involved (ie. how Force now works within the wider SR4 framework of typical values for dice pools, casting, spell resistance, damage level, Drain, etc).

Force 6 has a specific importance in SR3, not only because it sets the target number for resistance, but also because of the typical number of dice a target (particularly a mundane) can use. Change the number of total dice used in spell resistance by any significant amount (3+ or - if I'm not mistaken) for whatever reason, and you change average successes, and hence the relative effectiveness/importance of a TN 6 goes up or down.

For instance, you don't currently know:
a) What SR4 "dice pools" are involved in casting, you don't know whether the "lower" target number adjusts the number of successes (ie. maybe in SR4 a magician chucks proportionately a lot more/less dice at his target than he did in SR3, maybe one success is much more efficient in terms of basic effect, maybe a target resists with just an Att, etc).
b) How spell resistance and spell damage works in SR4 and what "dice pools" are used. Without which you can't evaluate if a Force 6 spell is equally effective, less effective or more effective than before - if a defender uses significantly less dice than he did in SR3 or significantly more affects your whole percentage curve (ie. given that above average Attributes will be more expensive, how does that make the typical resistance roll?).
d) How Drain works and how it's been adjusted to reflect the new damage system.
e) How Force itself now works under the new system.
f) Whether Edge can be used like Karma Poll and how it can help (or not) at save-your-bacon "reroll time" in Casting and Resistance (in SR3 using Karma Pool to reroll casting was more effective than rerolling spell resistance - assuming a mundane target - because the caster got to reroll all the Spell Pool dice too).

From experience I'd say force 6 spells are equally important in SR4 than they are in SR3 for slightly different reasons, so I'm not saying you're wrong. In practice, I'm sure you'll see a lot more people popping force 8 Stunbolts where they would have used Force 6 in SR3 - but then again the framework has been adjusted to allow that.

I'm simply asking where you're getting "ability to cast force 6 spells was important in SR3, but won't be with the new mechanic" based on available information (particularly since official information hasn't touched on any of my points above).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012