Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More news of Origins
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
FrostyNSO
The new smartgun links are wireless..can be hacked...and do incl;ude cameras to shot around corners.

Retarded. Why would anyone ever use a wireless smartlink? I imagine a lot of people would stick to wires/induction to avoud their gun being "hacked."

Wireless smartgun links are the dumbest things I've ever heard of. What's wrong with the good ol' palm induction link? The gun should be in your possession when you fire it anyways, and if somebody gets ahold of your gun, that is what your biometric safety (not wireless) is for if you chose to install one.

It sounds to me like they were thinking of cool things for 'hackers' to be able to do and came up with ways to make it work without thinking of the practicality of the thing.
mfb
to a point. it really would be handy--if insecure--to have your smartlink (and every other device) hook into your sensorium through a single cybernetic implant. it'd be like having twenty datajacks for the cost of one.

and it's not something the individual soldier/cop/runner is going to have to worry about. the average soldier/cop/runner is going to be accompanied by a commo guy who (theoretically) keeps the soldier/cop/runner from getting hacked.
SL James
QUOTE (mfb)
to a point. it really would be handy--if insecure--to have your smartlink (and every other device) hook into your sensorium through a single cybernetic implant. it'd be like having twenty datajacks for the cost of one.

Or you get a cable-splitter or an external router box, or a datasuit, or run the datafeed across your skin and conductive clothing, or ...
mfb
indeed.
SL James
Well, if those options are available then there's really nothing to be concerned about for the paranoid. It's only if there aren't wired interfaces that fulfill the same function of incorporating all manner of information into a wireless commlink hub without penalty that there are problems.

Personally, I've had PCs who used a lot of non-cyber wireless and wired technology through a hub and spoke system for the last year or so, but some of the possibilities I've read on sites like Engadget or Gizmodo and stuff I've seen on the Delicious Shadowrun feed blew my mind. For example, the idea of using human skin as a medium for data transfer was something I never thought to explore or conjecture, but which I'd be hard-pressed not to use in the future.
Demonseed Elite
Yeah, risk versus reward. There's risk to using wireless setups, but to some it could be worth it. Like mfb mentioned, it could theoretically cost less essence and money to go wireless, because you're dealing with less implant tech. Also, if you're wireless and another teammate on your network could use your targeting information, you can piggyback the signal onto something and send it over. Downside is that in between you and them, that signal can be hacked.

Now, if you're just standing there shooting, for yourself, you could still run the risk of being hacked if you're wireless. But chances are it's using a very short-ranged signal (the gun's info doesn't need to travel far to your head and vice versa) and good luck getting in that range while the person's firing, Mr. Hacker. nyahnyah.gif

And of course, if you can go completely wired for some extra investment, well, then you have nothing to worry about.
FrostyNSO
It only takes one bad experience for "worth it" to become "never again".
Thanos007
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
The core book
Arsenal (cannon companion replacement and extra equimpment...including vehicles)
The Magic source book
The bio/cyber book
a players guide
a Gamemastters guide 

Well, I'm glad the rules won't be spread out all over a bunch of books any fucking more

Who said they were rule books? They are as I understood it simply equipment books. Arsenal will contain equipment and vehicles not covered in the BBB.

Magic book will contain all other traditions not covered in the BBB. More like Awakenings than MITS.

Again bio/cyber lists of things that aren't in the BBB.

Now you may have me with players guide and gamemasters guide. But I got the impression they would be SSG and MJLBB mixed and matched for pc's and gm's.

To me it looks like an even bigger rules-cluster-fuck than SR3 was

Please. Enlighten us.

As for hacking the smart guns. Nobody said it would be easy. Just doable.

Thanos

SL James
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Yeah, risk versus reward.  There's risk to using wireless setups, but to some it could be worth it.  Like mfb mentioned, it could theoretically cost less essence and money to go wireless, because you're dealing with less implant tech.  Also, if you're wireless and another teammate on your network could use your targeting information, you can piggyback the signal onto something and send it over.  Downside is that in between you and them, that signal can be hacked.

Now, if you're just standing there shooting, for yourself, you could still run the risk of being hacked if you're wireless.  But chances are it's using a very short-ranged signal (the gun's info doesn't need to travel far to your head and vice versa) and good luck getting in that range while the person's firing, Mr. Hacker.  nyahnyah.gif

And of course, if you can go completely wired for some extra investment, well, then you have nothing to worry about.

Clearly.

There's nothing inherently wrong with wireless. If there was, none of my characters would ever use cell phones, drones, or radio communications. I also see the point mfb made, and I added another twist--use alternative non-cyber methods of data transfer which cannot be jammed or intercepted as easily (even transmitting data across your skin from a gun to the Smartlink system would create some RF leakage). Likewise, any RF transmitting out in a sphere (like information from a fully remote-capable Smartgun) isn't going to stop just because the power is weak. The signal's going to be broadcast out [edit]to infinity[/edit] until it's redirected or absorbed by something.

However, just because you're not 100% wireless doesn't mean that it's not possible to share that information with your teammates. It just means that you're utilizing a single-source encrypted channel for your communications that is less easily jammed or intercepted rather than letting them access your Smartgun's feed directly.

QUOTE (Thanos007)
QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
The core book
Arsenal (cannon companion replacement and extra equimpment...including vehicles)
The Magic source book
The bio/cyber book
a players guide
a Gamemastters guide 

Well, I'm glad the rules won't be spread out all over a bunch of books any fucking more

Who said they were rule books? They are as I understood it simply equipment books. Arsenal will contain equipment and vehicles not covered in the BBB.

You mean like how M&M, CC, MitS, SSG, SR3Comp are just "stuff" books without a single rule in them?
Thanos007
You mean like how M&M, CC, MitS, SSG, SR3Comp are just "stuff" books without a single rule in them

No. I mean they are just that. Catalogs if you will. There may be some fluff in there with the especially with the magic and bio/cyber, but that's it.

Thanos
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Bull)
Those are not the names, just a vague description. Kinda how Sprawl Survival Guide is sort of a Players Guide to SR, and Mr J's Little Black Book is a GM's guide.

I was responding to Blakkie's pre-edit post regarding contacts. I'd have an easier time seeing you shooting up the FanPro headquarters than sitting tight for a Shadowmaster's Guide and a Player's Handbook.

~J
SL James
QUOTE (Thanos007 @ Jul 3 2005, 09:28 PM)
You mean like how M&M, CC, MitS, SSG, SR3Comp are just "stuff" books without a single rule in them

No. I mean they are just that. Catalogs if you will. There may be some fluff in there with the especially with the magic and bio/cyber, but that's it.

None of the new spells, powers, totems, spirits or Traditions will have any new rules?

None of the new weapons or vehicles will have any new rules?

None of the new cyber/bioware will have any new rules?

Interesting.

So we're getting "Catalogs," but not in the SSC/FoF tradition because books like that don't sell. Just lists and lists of new stuff, perfectly integrated into the rules established in the main book. No new rules--not even in the GM or Player guides.

Interesting.

Ah, yes. Now I remember why this seems like total bull.
QUOTE (Fanpro 2005 Catalog)
Street Magic™ -Stock #: FPR 26004
The advanced magic book for Shadowrun, Fourth Edition. Details the nature of magic and its effects on society in the year 2070. Also contains advanced rules for alternate magic traditions, initiation and metamagic, enchanting, new spells and adept powers, the metaplanes of astral space, and a host of magical threats. Street Magic contains everything the players and gamemasters need for magic in SR4.

I wonder why I am skeptical that they are nothing or little more than "catalogs."

Yes, the SR3 developers said the exact same thing as the fourth edition developers about wanting to eliminate the confusion from having to flip through all sorts of books for various rules in Second Edition. SR, Third Edition then did the exact same thing. They wrote seven core rules books (the main book and the books I listed above). They then comitted a sin not even Second Edition did by adding new rules to virtually every sourcebook published under Third Edition from Cyberpirates to Year of the Comet to the State of the Art books. Fanpro, the company responsible for the latter books continued this rather egregious practice.

Given the above excerpt of the Fanpro catalog, and given the fact that there are six major books which could be rules heavy coming down the pipeline (four and a half of them look very similar to five of the existing SR3 rulesbooks that added to "rules bloat") please excuse my skepticism that there won't be in the future because they seem to be doing the same thing FASA did to help fuck things up.
Kremlin KOA
of course not, the crowd raised on MMORPGs and other heavily graphical mediums would never buy a book with pictures of gear... they would only pay for text only books with lots of flavourless lists
SL James
Well, maybe if there were a few images which lack any similarity to the guns they are supposed to be. They must especially differ if there are already images for them from older SBs like SSC and FoF or even the main first and second edition books.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
But chances are it's using a very short-ranged signal (the gun's info doesn't need to travel far to your head and vice versa) and good luck getting in that range while the person's firing, Mr. Hacker. nyahnyah.gif
SL James
Didn't I already say something to that effect?
QUOTE (SL James)
Likewise, any RF transmitting out in a sphere (like information from a fully remote-capable Smartgun) isn't going to stop just because the power is weak. The signal's going to be broadcast out [edit]to infinity[/edit] until it's redirected or absorbed by something.

Shouldn't Jon "Electronic Warfare is God" Szeto have already quashed the myth of "short-range wireless" by now in the development process?
Kagetenshi
You did. On the other hand, that jumped out at me to such a degree that I abandoned my usual rule about never posting without reading the rest of a thread.

Though I wouldn't say that Szeto would necessarily have paid attention to it. He's probably the person responsible for making everything but jamming useless in SR3 (encryption rules, I'm looking at you. Not that they don't make sense, they're quite accurate, but you wonder why they bothered to put in the rest of the EW rules afterwards).

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 3 2005, 09:42 PM)
QUOTE (Thanos007 @ Jul 3 2005, 09:28 PM)

None of the new spells, powers, totems, spirits or Traditions will have any new rules?

Interesting.

So we're getting "Catalogs," but not in the SSC/FoF tradition because books like that don't sell. Just lists and lists of new stuff, perfectly integrated into the rules established in the main book. No new rules--not even in the GM or Player guides.

Interesting.

Ah, yes. Now I remember why this seems like total bull.
QUOTE (Fanpro 2005 Catalog)
Street Magic™ -Stock #: FPR 26004
The advanced magic book for Shadowrun, Fourth Edition. Details the nature of magic and its effects on society in the year 2070. Also contains advanced rules for alternate magic traditions, initiation and metamagic, enchanting, new spells and adept powers, the metaplanes of astral space, and a host of magical threats. Street Magic contains everything the players and gamemasters need for magic in SR4.

I wonder why I am skeptical that they are nothing or little more than "catalogs."

Yes, the SR3 developers said the exact same thing as the fourth edition developers about wanting to eliminate the confusion from having to flip through all sorts of books for various rules in Second Edition. SR, Third Edition then did the exact same thing. They wrote seven core rules books (the main book and the books I listed above). They then comitted a sin not even Second Edition did by adding new rules to virtually every sourcebook published under Third Edition from Cyberpirates to Year of the Comet to the State of the Art books. Fanpro, the company responsible for the latter books continued this rather egregious practice.

Given the above excerpt of the Fanpro catalog, and given the fact that there are six major books which could be rules heavy coming down the pipeline (four and a half of them look very similar to five of the existing SR3 rulesbooks that added to "rules bloat") please excuse my skepticism that there won't be in the future because they seem to be doing the same thing FASA did to help fuck things up.

This has been gone over before, but not yet in this thread. "Rules" [edit]as you appear to be defining them[/edit] encompasses both the framework identifying the names of parameters that constitute each class of item and how to interpret these parameters interact with other items in the game world. For example fireams could be defined as have a range, power, penetration, and round capacity, and then how these parameters are used in combat's opposed roll and damage determination.

Then also in the "rules" [edit]as you appear to be defining them[/edit] are instances of these, such as Wizz Bang Shotgun, range 20m, power 15, penetration 5, and a 7 round fixed magizine. EDIT: The difference between your definition and what that goal is is here. They aren't counting these as "rules", just reference data that you process using the rules.

For an example see D&D 3.5e Complete Xxxx books. Very, very few of the former. They are instead catalogs of the later. If SR3 managed to pull it off to that level it would be stunning to say the least, especially if they did it in 1 book since D&D took 3 (DMG, PHB, and MM). Of course i don't expect them to in full. Earlier in the thread they did mention they might have to put off Initiation till Street Magic due to size constraints. I just hope they can come closer, plus get rid of cross references between books instead of always back to the BBB. So i doubt perfection, but closer is better.

P.S. Plus what was said about combining Weapons and Vehicles and Matrix equipment into one book.
blakkie
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 3 2005, 07:46 PM)
I'm not angry about the new books.  I'm amused at it.  I'm angry at a whole bunch of other stuff, the vast majority of which (or, rather, the vast majority of that which is on-topic for a Shadowrun discussion board) is easily enough deciphered by a few glances around a couple dozen threads here in the SR4 corner of DS.

Don't forget, our cute Little Ball O' Anger, your issues with Loose Alliances.

Oh, and the Creepwoodrun gaming system. wink.gif
mfb
...what does that have to do with anything?
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Jul 3 2005, 11:34 PM)
...what does that have to do with anything?

....on-topic for a Shadowrun discussion board....

Just rounding out the inventory. smile.gif

Although another mildly edit:relavent:edit point would be that from what i gleamed from the Loose Alliances Dumpshock forum is the SR4 BBB could be priced at 10$, the cover inlaid with real gold leaf, and include coupons for 5 free handjobs and he'd still be accentuating the negative. biggrin.gif

P.S. I also included Creepwoodrun since i happen to agree with him there, and that was one funny post [edit] that deserves a link [/edit]. smile.gif
Cain
All right, let's try and bring this conversation back to brass tacks.

For those of you who've actually *played* the SR4 prerelease, did you like it more, less, or the same as SR3?
SL James
QUOTE (blakkie @ Jul 3 2005, 10:53 PM)
This has been gone over before, but not yet in this thread.  "Rules" [edit]as you appear to be defining them[/edit] encompasses both the framework identifying the names of parameters that constitute each class of item and how to interpret these parameters interact with other items in the game world. For example fireams could be defined as have a range, power, penetration, and round capacity, and then how these parameters are used in combat's opposed roll and damage determination.

Then also in the "rules" [edit]as you appear to be defining them[/edit] are instances of these, such as Wizz Bang Shotgun, range 20m, power 15, penetration 5, and a 7 round fixed magizine.  EDIT: The difference between your definition and what that goal is is here. They aren't counting these as "rules", just reference data that you process using the rules.

Huh?

The description for Street Magic is almost identical to the description of MitS, and there are a lot of rules in MitS. Rules, by their definition, which are also in this Street Magic book.

Not the "rules" you seem to think I'm describing (You seem to be incorporating stats into "rules," which is hardly my idea of what rules are), but "rules" which tell you how many dice to roll on a Centering Test, and how to count the successes for whatever you're using Centering for, or the rules for Voudoun asd opposed to the rules for Hermetic or Shamanic magic, or the rules for summoning Watchers, Allies, Insect Spirits, or Invoking Great Forms.

Maybe dice mechanics would be more apt, but "rules" sounds better.

Given that, I hardly see how a book which is described as containing the same information, fluff and rules, as MitS can be described as little more than a "Catalog." Maybe your definition of catalog includes information on how and what dice you rule to achieve X effect, but mine doesn't.

I don't see anything in my L.L. Bean catalog that tells me how many dice I have to roll to put on a sweater, or what the threshold is to do it successfully without making a new hole. I do see a short description of each item grouped with similar products, stats like size, color and price, pretty pictures of mediocre models wearing mostly bland clothing, and an order form in the middle. That's what I consider a catalog to be. Something like that, or the Fanpro 2005 catalog which has a couple of nifty pictures and short blurbs about the products along with "stats" like product name, number, and price. I don't see anything in that catalog about rolling 5's and 6's to get in touch with a dealer who can get me a copy of the book before Gencon, which sucks since I roll 6's.

If it walks like a rules supplement, and quacks like a rules supplement, it's probably a rules supplement.
ambidextrous
Well I have to say I'm not excited about the new abilities that hackers (hate that term) will be getting. Sounds like they will be the new uber-character. I'm really hoping we all are taking something Thanos or Caine said to far. If you can hack a SG link then it oughtta be nothin to hack a drone or rigged car. I'd assume that a remote control signal would have a lot more bandwidth than the SG link. (Although it would be fun to lock up the front tire of some go-gangers Rapier at 140 kph, assuming it's rigged of course.)

Is there a limit to this? It sounds like runs will come down to contested fights over who has control of the gas pedal of the get-away vehicle.

Need input, neeeeed input!
Ellery
Shouldn't Jon "Electronic Warfare is God" Szeto have already quashed the myth of "short-range wireless" by now in the development process?
Actually, if you transmit in a frequency band over which the atmosphere is relatively opaque, short range wireless is short range (no more than tens of meters).

[edit]And since I'm posting anyway, I should point out that demos typically put the best possible face on a new game system. It's hard to notice systemic, long-term problems with advancement and flexibility--or even player control of combat--when you're just there to shoot a few bullets, drop some bad guys, and hang out with other fans. So I'm not sure that a demo really allows one to get a sense for whether a lot of the concerns that have been voiced here are valid or not.

Finally, I'd consider the changes to magicians (no magic loss from wounds, and anyone can summon spirits short term or bind them long-term) rather substantial changes to setting. Apparently, they didn't really mean they weren't changing the setting much--for magicians, those changes make an enormous difference to how you play and what your job opportunities are in the sixth world.[/edit]
weblife
If everything is wireless, then, isn't it pretty easy to walk around with a whitenoise generator, killing off all local transmissions.

Yay for the magic types with Gremlins.
Thanos007
[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

So we're getting "Catalogs," but not in the SSC/FoF tradition because books like that don't sell. Just lists and lists of new stuff, perfectly integrated into the rules established in the main book.

What do you consider a "new" rule?

All right, let's try and bring this conversation back to brass tacks.

For those of you who've actually *played* the SR4 prerelease, did you like it more, less, or the same as SR3?

Unfortunately I don't think any of the play testers post on DS.

Well I have to say I'm not excited about the new abilities that hackers (hate that term) will be getting. Sounds like they will be the new uber-character. I'm really hoping we all are taking something Thanos or Caine said to far. If you can hack a SG link then it oughtta be nothin to hack a drone or rigged car. I'd assume that a remote control signal would have a lot more bandwidth than the SG link. (Although it would be fun to lock up the front tire of some go-gangers Rapier at 140 kph, assuming it's rigged of course.)

As you can "hack" a drone now, why all of the sudden is it a big deal?

Finally, I'd consider the changes to magicians (no magic loss from wounds, and anyone can summon spirits short term or bind them long-term) rather substantial changes to setting. Apparently, they didn't really mean they weren't changing the setting much--for magicians, those changes make an enormous difference to how you play and what your job opportunities are in the sixth world.[/edit]

Hadn't thought about it in a ret con kinda way but your right. Unless they explain it in some manner. Someone mentioned something 'bout SOTA:64 tieing in to this? If it's just a badly done ret con then I will have some problem with it.

[QUOTE]edit]And since I'm posting anyway, I should point out that demos typically put the best possible face on a new game system. It's hard to notice systemic, long-term problems with advancement and flexibility--or even player control of combat--when you're just there to shoot a few bullets, drop some bad guys, and hang out with other fans. So I'm not sure that a demo really allows one to get a sense for whether a lot of the concerns that have been voiced here are valid or not.[QUOTE]

I belive you are quit correct with this. However this applies to all demos not just SR4 demos.

Thanos

mintcar
If we were all still using telegraph to communicate and purely mechanical modes of travel nobody would be worried about hackers today. How can you criticize SR4 for simply advancing the technology a bit? Of course more technology means more opportunities for people who knows how to manipulate it. Thatīs only a catastrophe if thereīs no protection from it. I doubt hacking will be a bigger part of the common shadowrun game for any reason eccept the fact that it might be easier to incorporate and more fun to play. Why would they make hackers gods? The potential power of a decker under the current rules is allready almost limitless, but still your average character canīt do much more than what is required in the job discription.
Taki
yes, you can derivate a telegraph.
A friend of mine is in a security IT business. In france no wi fi is used yet by military, because there is no real kind of protection.
You can hacked a protect intranet. You don't need to hack a wi fi ...

As a adept, I think I will more and more be happy with my gun without SM !
SL James
QUOTE (Thanos007 @ Jul 4 2005, 04:45 AM)
What do you consider a "new" rule?

Oh, I don't know. Something like the Small Unit Tactics skill for example. It seemed important enough that the rules were put in three sourcebooks (Man & Machine because of its effect on the Tactical Computer, Cannon Companion because it's Advanced Combat, and Matrix because of the BattleTac Matrixlink and the bonus it provides to decker teams running the program).

Other than that, it's pretty open. A new rule can be any rule introduced in any book following the main book. After the main book, really, anything is "new."

QUOTE (Ellery)
Actually, if you transmit in a frequency band over which the atmosphere is relatively opaque, short range wireless is short range (no more than tens of meters).

What do you mean by a relatively opaque atmosphere to the frequency? One with a great deal of EM interference? IIRC, glass is opaque to IR, but I am guessing this refers more to the presence of a sufficient amount of matter which at a certain frequencies the space is rendered opaque, like this?
Far-infrared, from 300 GHz (1 mm) to 30 THz (10 μm). The lower part of this range may also be called microwaves. This radiation is typically absorbed by so-called rotational modes in gas-phase molecules, by molecular motions in liquids, and by phonons in solids. The water in the Earth's atmosphere absorbs so strongly in this range that it renders the atmosphere effectively opaque. However, there are certain wavelength ranges ("windows") within the opaque range which allow partial transmission, and can be used for astronomy. The wavelength range from approximately 200 μm up to a few mm is often referred to as "sub-millimeter" in astronomy, reserving far infrared for wavelengths below 200 μm.

Link

I still like my idea better.
mintcar
yes, you can derivate a telegraph.
A friend of mine is in a security IT business. In france no wi fi is used yet by military, because there is no real kind of protection.
You can hacked a protect intranet. You don't need to hack a wi fi ...

That does negate my example but the point is the same. Letīs say; If we were using stone-age technology, nobody would be worried about hackers.

[edit] I understand that wireless tech is vulnerable, and it seems stupid to go that route. But that route is being taken anyway. New tech is developed, then ways to protect it from abuse are deviced if possible. I donīt beleive itīs unrealistic that more things will be using wireless in the future. And from a gaming point of view, there is still nothing that indicates hacker characters will be unballanced compaired to other characters, because that has to do with game design and not technology.
Thanos007
Oh, I don't know. Something like the Small Unit Tactics skill for example. It seemed important enough that the rules were put in three sourcebooks (Man & Machine because of its effect on the Tactical Computer, Cannon Companion because it's Advanced Combat, and Matrix because of the BattleTac Matrixlink and the bonus it provides to decker teams running the program).

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but as I understand your statement even if all the following books were just catologs with equipment descriptions each pice of equipment would be a new rule?

Also, to go back on what I said, I don't really remember them saying there would be no "new" rules in the 3 supplements it's just they would build on the rules in the BBB. That there would be no exceptions to how the game mechanics work, like there is now.

Thanos
SL James
QUOTE (Thanos007)
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but as I understand your statement even if all the following books were just catologs with equipment descriptions each pice of equipment would be a new rule?

I'd say that's a pretty big misunderstanding, because I explicitly said the opposite to blakkie. "You seem to be incorporating stats into "rules," which is hardly my idea of what rules are."

Rules are rules. Stats are stats.

Also, to go back on what I said, I don't really remember them saying there would be no "new" rules in the 3 supplements it's just they would build on the rules in the BBB. That there would be no exceptions to how the game mechanics work, like there is now.

That's different from what I read. You wrote, "There may be some fluff in there with the especially with the magic and bio/cyber, but that's it."

I took that to mean exactly what you said, that there are no rules in these books. New rules, rules built on the core system, whatever. All you said was what I quoted. I don't consider rules, dice mechanics, whatever you call them, to be "fluff" either.

Anyway, I see your point now.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Jul 4 2005, 03:51 AM)
Finally, I'd consider the changes to magicians (no magic loss from wounds, and anyone can summon spirits short term or bind them long-term) rather substantial changes to setting.

Magic seems capped in another way now. That's why people were trying to get confirmation whether Initiation still raises Magic, and even if it does whether it is still capped (very likely). Magic loss was there before to curb Magic power runaway. Though apparently it only did that effectively for something around 1/2 the games as polled at DSF because the games were run such that Mages were able to avoid it. *shrug*

P.S. I also haven't seen anything about being able to start with a Magic 1, just that Magic starts at 3.

Apparently, they didn't really mean they weren't changing the setting much--for magicians, those changes make an enormous difference to how you play and what your job opportunities are in the sixth world.

upsidedown.gif

So the setting changed going from SR2 to SR3? Because grounding AoE spells through active foci was a bigger deal than Magic loss. In my mind there is a more pressing reason to avoid taking a "Deadly" wound (or whatever the equivalent would be). The ultimate Magic loss. Dead men cast no spells. dead.gif

The spirit summoning i'd put around the same level [edit]as grounding[/edit], but for me equally welcome change i would think. Not for shamans, since they had binding type options already. But for the hermetics that couldn't summon on the fly, they instead tapped previously bound elementals (still an option for bound?). So it is likely it will really just be an addition of an ability to the hermetic. I am curious if they'll address the change in fiction.
Taki
QUOTE (mintcar)
That does negate my example but the point is the same. Letīs say; If we were using stone-age technology, nobody would be worried about hackers.

tamtam, smoke signal ...
since you communicate at distance there IS a way to "hack" it.
There is surely issues of security, and of area were hacking is possible.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James @ Jul 4 2005, 01:17 AM)
The description for Street Magic is almost identical to the description of MitS, and there are a lot of rules in MitS. Rules, by their definition, which are also in this Street Magic book.

That short rather vague description was done a while back, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me if it was a cut-and-paste mentally if not physically.

However the intent had been to put into the BBB defining how traditions are built, then the new traditions become interations built under that. So then the framework of interactions between them and other elements of the game are defined back in the BBB.

Does this mean that Street Magic would just sit on the shelf and you'd never have to open it? Of course not. However it would be easier to note the parameters of the tradition in short form, either on paper or mentally, to keep book openning to a minimum. Plus even when you did open it you are much less likely to have to refer to multiple locations in the Street Magic for a given topic.

P.S. It doesn't sound like there will be new magical Skills past the base ones. The plan is to nix the addition of new Skills with metamagic. I haven't heard one word yet about Centering, as a Skill or action. Could be dead?

I don't see anything in my L.L. Bean catalog that tells me how many dice I have to roll to put on a sweater, or what the threshold is to do it successfully without making a new hole.

You have to ask specifically to be sent the Awakened version. A silly response? Yes, yet no more silly than your comment. nyahnyah.gif
mintcar
Taki: nyahnyah.gif
Thanos007
[/QUOTE]QUOTE (Thanos007)

I'd say that's a pretty big misunderstanding, because I explicitly said the opposite to blakkie. "You seem to be incorporating stats into "rules," which is hardly my idea of what rules are."

Rules are rules. Stats are stats.

Battle tac computer. New rule or discription of how the equipment works with other equipment and the enviroment? Jumping and falling. Now those were new rules.

That's different from what I read. You wrote, "There may be some fluff in there with the especially with the magic and bio/cyber, but that's it."

I took that to mean exactly what you said, that there are no rules in these books. New rules, rules built on the core system, whatever. All you said was what I quoted. I don't consider rules, dice mechanics, whatever you call them, to be "fluff" either.
[QUOTE]

That is correct. Thats why I took it back and corrected my statment.

Thanos
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Taki @ Jul 4 2005, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (mintcar @ Jul 4 2005, 06:57 AM)

tamtam, smoke signal ...
since you communicate at distance there IS a way to "hack" it.
There is surely issues of security, and of area were hacking is possible.

yep, even a telegrah line could be "hacked". just tap into it somewhere along the railtrack and then start hammering out a message wink.gif

and i wonder if not the rifle that kegetenchi linked to would in sr be considerd similar to how cyberdecks are. ie, just hte act of having it without licence and you risk a nice fine or jailtime. yes its draconian (if i understand the term right) but istn that a hallmark of cyberpunk? draconian communication laws?

yes at the moment the gun is a proof of concept, but i wonder what the reaction would be if someone where to actualy use it for a crime. this is in the same area as pointing out a flaw in a server and posting some proof of concept code to show how said flaw can be used.

today thats seen as peer review. but with tech crime on the rise i wonder how long it will be before the companys start asking the goverment to pass a law making the act of publicly telling how someone can break into a system a crime. its just a matter of extending the dmca.

yes it will not fix the problem but what it will do is drive it underground, like the mafia. operate in the open and show of what you can do to everyone and before you know it your under 24/7 observation so that they can track where you get your info from.

if you want to be paranoid then you should turn of your cellphone and remove its battery. unplug any electrical device from the wall. crush all of it into very tiny parts. get a nice number of rifles, handguns, shotguns and other weapons, and a even nicer stack of ammo, and dont forget the equipment to make more. then you get yourself a place in the middle of nowhere. set up a farm and start growing your own food.

if someone comes within 1km of your place, fire a warning shot at best. at worst, aim to kill. now you should in theory be perfectly safe from anything baring a airstrike or a tank attack (and both can be fixed with the user of heavy equipment).

but while doing all this your allso attracting a whole lot of goverment attention. same thing that will happen if you use a directional antenna to crack a random cops gun.

rule one of cracking, the target should never know that they have been cracked. that rifle is a 15-min of fame kinda thing...

edit: hmm, given my emotional and mental state today i shouldnt have typed a single line. they risk turning into a rant at the drop of a hat...
Demonseed Elite
Short range wireless isn't.

Yeah, but you're thinking more high powered, high frequency than I am. You're thinking Bluetooth, I'm thinking RFID. There's a difference.

RFID will have two different risk modes. There is an r^2 law effect on listening to the traffic between an RFID reader and device. There is an r^4 law for actual communications. There is also an antenna size issue for RFID.

The "rifle" is getting about a 40db gain, which is about what you would expect for a good antenna. With 40db gain and an r^2 law (which is what applies to Bluetooth) you get a 20db distance gain, or 100x improvement. Since normal Bluetooth range limts are 10-50ft, the quoted "up to a mile" sounds right.

With the same 40db gain (but see below) an RFID eavesdropper could listen to traffic at a checkout counter at 100x improvement. Normal RFID operating distances are a few feet, so the eavesdropping threat will be to a range of a few hundred feet. But for RFID query (where the RFID device is not powered) the r^4 law means only a 10x gain. So that will mean only a 15-30ft range. A hidden device could capture data from people walking by on the sidewalk, but not across a roadway. To get across a roadway would take 50-60 db gain, and that is very difficult.

A further factor is the difference in frequency. Antenna gain is vaguely proportional to the ratio of antenna size and wavelength. The 2.5GHz for Bluetooth is roughly 12cm, so the roughly 1m "rifle" is 10x the wavelength. To be 10x the wavelength of 25mHz means an antenna that is 100m big, or roughly the size of a soccer field. RFID that operates at higher frequencies will be easier to penetrate.

I think eavesdropping longer range RFID traffic, like automobile toll roads and warehouse shipping crates, will be feasible at modest cost. That eavesdropping risk is real. Maybe someone could hide an antenna with expensive receiver in a van to eavesdrop on a store's checkout traffic. But secretly querying RFIDs will be difficult.

I don't really see much reason why a wireless smartlink in 2070 would work like Bluetooth. It shouldn't need that much power, that high a frequency, or that much range. Even 10 meters is too much. When will you be firing a gun where that gun is 10 meters from your head?

And yes, even with the lower powered, lower frequency transmission, it is still possible for a hacker with the right equipment to eavesdrop or intercept the transmission at some range (much shorter than if it were using Bluetooth though). But I don't really see a problem with that. The hacker still needs to be in the relative area with the right gear, and he'll still have obstacles to overcome (the natural defenses of the device or encryption of the signal, not to mention any hackers in the competition trying to prevent exactly what he's trying to do).
weblife
I've been tossing a thought around. What would possibly, over 5 years, make most of the population switch to wireless applications?

And the only thing I can come up with is SOTA improvement and monopolistic marketing. The big 8 decide to go wireless, and everyone else has to comply if they want SOTA gear.

SOTA armor is tougher, and only SOTA guns, using wireless links, are good enough to keep the standard. Older guns are reduced in effective Power compared to SOTA.

You'd have to retrofit a SOTA gun to remove the wireless components. It might even be problematic if the gun has no trigger, and is not prepared for hardwire reception.

Anyhow, its a thin thought, realisticly, but I'd be interested to see how they choose to spin the official version. You know, to see if I was close.

The Technomancers working on another "frequency" of "Magic" proved to be true. Nothing else rings like the "Deep Resonance".
Demonseed Elite
As for the rules supplements, Blakkie is on the right course, theoretically. I say theoretically because they aren't written yet, so there's no way to really say for sure yet.

Rules supplements will exist. They provide revenue stream for the game and allow for the further exploration of topics that some players might be interested in. Many games have them, even games with very simple mechanics.

The idea, though, is that the rules in these supplements will not use new mechanics. Every optional, advanced rule shown in a rules supplement, whether it's a magical rule in Street Magic or an advanced combat rule in Arsenal, should use the same standard mechanics presented in the BBB. Like blakkie's example of traditions: if a new tradition is later added by a writer in a book, it should follow the existing rules in the BBB for creating traditions, the same exact way Hermeticism and Native American Shamanism were constructed, following the same mechanics.

This was not the case in previous editions of Shadowrun. That's what SR4 intends to fix.
Caine Hazen
I think Demonseed make the right point there. I hate to use this comparison (forgive me Rob, Adam, bull...please) but the extra books seemed to me more like the extra d20 books for D&D... you use the same core mechanic and you give people more prestige classes, weapons and maybe a few optional rules that don't diverge from the core set.

Oh and after listening again..I forgot to mention...there's gonna be some corperate court reshuffling...so look for more changes in the Big group of powerbrokers....

to answer about the demo...I liked the demo...I kinda fell away from paying attention after I snagged the 4th ed playtest copy..I was keeping it hid so I could read it...but yeah...every game company is gonna put the good face on their product. That aside, the mechanics seemed to flow smoother, made combat a bit faster, made hacking seem a bit more integrated into play..made for interesting magicians. I did like it. there was alot of enthusiasm in the group running the demos ( I think most were playtesters too) It definately made me want to do 4th ed even more. And that's the way good demos should be...I do them for Wizkids and for Privateer Press, these guiys were doing them in top notch fashion

You can start with 1 magic if you want...just add cyber and bio ware..
blakkie
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jul 4 2005, 08:04 AM)
As for the rules supplements, Blakkie is on the right course, theoretically.  I say theoretically because they aren't written yet, so there's no way to really say for sure yet.

If the Initiation rules slide into Street Magic, and i'm presuming with it the basic Metamagics, would alone seem to be a sizable setback in attaining the goal. I hope they find some way to fit it in.

At least a huge step can be made if they keep from bringing in new variations of dice rolling beyond opposed/fixed threshhold and the open ended test.

P.S. Hey, nobody has posted yet what Initiative looks like in the current transcript. Come on EDT and CDT slackers, you should be finished reading your Monday morning work email by now. nyahnyah.gif

EDIT:
You can start with 1 magic if you want...just add cyber and bio ware..

We could always do that. nyahnyah.gif So essense loss happens the same as previously? Although if base starting Magic is 3 that might mean Magic 1 will be relatively more workable than with SR3.
Demonseed Elite

If the Initiation rules slide into Street Magic, and i'm presuming with it the basic Metamagics, would alone seem to be a sizable setback in attaining the goal. I hope they find some way to fit it in.

I do too. I've been fighting hard (and so have other playtesters) for Initiation to be in the core book. I think it needs to be.
Grinder
Thinking back of old SR2 times, when it was iirc not included into the core book, i can only support that. It sucks when you play a mage and don't know how to raise your magic attribute.
Fortune
I still really want to know how Drain is calculated in SR4.
blakkie
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jul 4 2005, 08:48 AM)
Thinking back of old SR2 times, when it was iirc not included into the core book, i can only support that. It sucks when you play a mage and don't know how to raise your magic attribute.

Even if Initiation isn't what raises your Magic Attribute (not confirmed one way or another yet), having the basic mechanics of metamagic in another book would suck huge donkey...things. I don't care if they only provide 3 metamagics, and they save some flavour text for initiation or some of the initiation rites options for Street Magic. Just get the basics down.

But i don't mean basics done SR3 style where metamagic wasn't there and MitS initiation was a different rule than say the Adepts 20 karma/PP so that you had two base rules.
blakkie
QUOTE (Fortune)
I still really want to know how Drain is calculated in SR4.

Yes, enquiring minds want to know.

Along with the likely related question what does Force mean in regards to spells, if still applicable. Do spells follow in the same vein as the rest we've seen where a Force 6 spell will become something to recon with as opposed to just the standard purchase for a beginning PCs Manabolt?
Taki
QUOTE (mintcar)
Taki:  nyahnyah.gif

rotfl.gif mad.gif devil.gif

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012