Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Search for the Spirit Mask of Timbuktu
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
HeySparky
ZOMG we have a butler! That RULES!
BishopMcQ
Butlers rock!!

Fenris--Is it possible to waive the availability on certain items? Namely a GPS and Survival Kit...
Buddha72
It's that season again for me. I will be at a family friend's costume shop for the next 5 days slinging costumes so I will be afk until after Halloween is over, sorry but everyone have a great Halloween! devil.gif
Fenris
McQ,

You're welcome to purchase that sort of standard wildnerness gear from the "company store", with all the interesting things one would imagine would come with buying items from a Corporation like Atlantis wink.gif
Buddha72
WOOT! I'm back from the costumes mines and eager to start posting again!

Don't forget magic people the cost to form the magic group (5 karma). I will crank out the updated verision of my character this afternoon and I'll bug Fenris to post since he's a day late. Has everyone else gotten their updated characters to him?
BishopMcQ
I'm a slacker and haven't sent my character in yet...I wil make sure to up date and send it in before we run Strat.
Buddha72
We also need a name for the magical group, any suggestions/ideas? Also I would love to know what traditions/mentor spirits the other members have. I am just a plain old physical adept with no mentor spirit.
BishopMcQ
Hermetic, no mentor.
BishopMcQ
As per the name, I think it should be something like "The Misfit Toys" but that's just Mickey's skewed visualization of magic talking...
BishopMcQ
Since our characters have access to the data, but we don't yet...will diving gear be necessary?
Fenris
McQ Not according to the information you've got wink.gif

Hey guys, my apologies about not getting the bump up on Tuesday. Usually it's a free night for me, but I forgot Tuesday was Halloween! So, as a result, I'll be bumping Friday when I have time to sit down and type up the information off the chip.

I haven't gotten any updated characters besides Mickey, is nobody else doing anything with their karma and/or cash?
BishopMcQ
Cool, just checking...

Cirio--Did you have enough funds for vehicles...I for one don't want to have to carry everything into the jungle...If you need more funds, let me know.
HeySparky
Same here, Cirio.

Fen, I've got to write my chapter of NaNoWriMo tonight, so I'll try to get an updated Charlotte to you soonest. That'll be between Friday and Sunday. Sorry for the delay.
Buddha72
Hey All!

I am posting real quick for Fenris, he has not forgotten about us but last weekend was school work hell for him. He has 8 classes this semester and they all hit him this last weekend. I will gently nudge him to post in the next day or so. Just make sure you get your updated character to him. Thanks for being patient! biggrin.gif
Fenris
Hopefully I'll be updating later this morning, if not, then I definitely should be able to this evening.

I will nudge Cirio, if he doesn't reply in the next couple of days, we'll drop him and move on wink.gif

Also, for those of you that watch the boards constantly, can you pop in if there are any weird or esoteric questions you'd specifically be looking for?
BishopMcQ
Topographic anomalies--should we be expecting to rappell down a cliff, or worse, climb up one...

Locations for campsites, LZs and pickup points.

Information or local rumors about native populations, myths etc.
Cirio
Hang on- did I miss something? Fenris did you need something from me? smile.gif

...I should have enough for drones and vehicles- I'll let you know if I run into a deficit anywhere, but I should be fine. wink.gif
BishopMcQ
HE LIVES!!

Welcome back from the honeymoon action. You need to turn in a new character sheet with the karma expenditures and new purchases given the cash we just received.
Cirio
Oh, got it. wink.gif
BishopMcQ
So...about that update...
Blitz
Gencon Time!!!

Ok...not that Ive had much time for posting, but I'll be out of town till Monday. For those of you who'll be there..Cant wait to see y'all again!
Fenris
GEN-CON ATE MY WEEKEND!!

Now, in 3-D Smello-vision!

Sorry guys, last weekend and this weekend went by in pretty much a blur. Schools piling up, and things have piled up at the moment. Thankfully, I should be clear by Wednesday, so expect an update then.

Fenris
That's an utter lie. I just remembered I'm flying out of town Wednesday night, so there's no way I'll be around for posting ;/ Sorry about that guys, but enjoy the holidays with your families and all, and I'll see you the Tuesday we get back!
Buddha72
Howdy All!

Back from my turkey induced coma over the long weekend. Hope all of you had a great Turkey Day as well.

Let's get a roll call going to see who's out there still. Sound off so we can get this thread up and going again. biggrin.gif
HeySparky
Here... working on spending Charlotte's money. Karma all done.
BishopMcQ
I'm here. Sheet was sent in, waiting on the post for the Intel that we bought.
Fenris
w00t. Sorry about the second delay, between Gen Con and Thanksgiving I know it's been kinda dead. On the bright side, school's wrapping up and I should have plenty of time for the next few months to keep things up and buzzing!

So, basically, I'm going to drop an IC post with all the info on the chip, it an (attempted) cinematic format. If you need mechanical information, or are looking for info that seems like it should have been on the chip that I didn't mention, just post your questions here!
BishopMcQ
Since we have a best known location for the ruins...

Are there any:

Topographic anomalies--should we be expecting to rappell down a cliff, or worse, climb up one...

Locations for campsites, LZs and pickup points.

Information or local rumors about native populations, myths etc.

Indigenous plant or animal life that we should be worried about?
Buddha72
Ok let's flex some background skills.... wink.gif

Antiquities Black Markets
03 04 04 04 05 06 (2 hits)

Smuggler Havens
01 03 03 04 06 06 (2 hits)

Mercenary Groups
01 04 05 05 05 05 (4 hits)

International Law
01 01 02 04 06 06 (2 hits)

I am looking for information that applies to the area we're heading for to retrieve the mask.
BishopMcQ
My knowledges which may apply...

Archaeology (500 BCE to 500 CE)
01 02 02 03 04 05 05

Magic Theory and Traditions Shamanic
02 02 04 05 05 06 06

History (Africa)
02 03 04 04 05 05

Literature (Mythology)

01 01 02 03 03 05
Fenris
McQuillan -

Topographics: Essentially, the majority of the area is relatively flat, arid grassland or desert. The only topographical anamoly is a small and relatively steep mountain nearby, which acts as a source for several of the tributaries that run into the Niger river.

Locations: There's plenty of available space to set down or set up, as you see fit. You can see on the map that the nearest large (again, all things relative) city is Bamako, about 500 miles away from the area indicated on the map. Araouane, Gao, and Tombouctu (modern day version of the city) are located within a much smaller distance, but are obviously very small.

Information about native population: Aside from a few legends and stories used to collaborate the information on the chip, there's very little information about the myths and legends of the area. Likely you would need to research to find out more about it.

Flora and Fauna: Africa is one of the largest sources for new and Awakened creatures and plants since this age of magic began. The resurgence in mana has spread hundreds, possibly thousands of new species throughout the veldt and the rainforest that occupy the majority of the continent.

Archaelogy: Unfortunately, the specific time that your knowledge pertains to doesn't provide any obvious information about Timbuktu or the state of the countries during the time period in which it was significant (approx. 1000 CE to 1500 CE).

Magic Theory and Shamanistic Traditions: Africa has a rich history magically. Aside from being the progenitor of traditions such as voodoo and ancestor worship in North America, a strong tradition of animism runs through the heritage of the ethnic peoples. This tradition has only been strengthened by the resurgence of mana and the active participation of the "spirits" themselves in the worship. It's much more believeable and convincing when you can make the spirit of the river rise up and knock down a few buildings wink.gif

African History: All the information you have at this moment correlates what Vip told you. Timbuktu was established by the nomadic Tuareg perhaps as early as the 10th century. Like its predecessor, Tiraqqa, a neighboring trading city of the Wangara, Timbuktu grew to great wealth because of its key role in trans-Saharan trade in gold, ivory, slaves, salt and other goods by the Tuareg, Mandé and Fulani merchants, transferring goods from caravans coming from the Islamic north to boats on the Niger. Thus if the Sahara functioned as a sea, Timbuktu was a major port. It became a key city in several successive empires: the Ghana Empire, the Mali Empire from 1324, and the Songhai Empire from 1468, the second occupations beginning when the empires overthrew Tuareg leaders who had regained control. It reached its peak in the early 16th century, but its capture in 1591 by a band of Moroccan adventurers was not the start so much as a symptom of the crumbling of the ancient economy with Portuguese goods that came instead from the river's mouth.

The leaders of the Songhai kingdom (also spelled Songhay) began expanding their domain along the Niger River. Like the kingdoms of Ghana and Mali that flourished in the region in earlier centuries, Songhai grew powerful because of its control of local trade routes. Timbuktu would soon become the heart of the mighty Songhai Empire. It became wealthy because many merchants traveled trade routes that went through it.

Literature: Legends that spring to mind:

1.) The place name is said to come from a Tuareg woman named Buktu who dug a well in the area where the city stands today; hence "Timbuktu", which means "Buktu's well".

2.) By Leo Africanus aka "Leo the African". As a captured renegade who later converted back to Islam from Christianity, following a trip in 1512, when the Songhai empire was at its height he wrote the following:

"The rich king of Tombuto hath many plates and sceptres of gold, some whereof weigh 1300 pounds, and a feathered mask that is said to grant him control of the spirits of his land. ... He hath always 3000 horsemen ... (and) a great store of doctors, judges, priests, and other learned men, that are bountifully maintained at the king's expense."

Buddha

Antiquities Black Market: Africa is a goldmine of ancient antiquities that people are willing to pay to own. Porto Novo and Sao Tome, particularly, have black markets that specialize in objects pulled from the ruins of ancient civilizations in the mountains and jungles of the central continent.

Smuggler Havens: Praia, off the northern coast of Africa, is a prime smuggler haven, known for lax and corrupt officials, a sprawling island town that takes up the majority of the small island, and ready fuel and supplies for anyone that lands there by boat or air, with no questions asked.

Mercenary Groups: While there are a couple of mercenary groups the originate in Africa, none of them specialize in working in those regions or making it their business who does. Of important note, Africa is one of the main locations is where the wildly popular Corp Wars show was based. It's well known that several corporations and mercenary groups still have bases and supplies scattered throughout Africa, along with vicious explosive and chemical traps.

Interational Law: Unfortunately, 60 years of unrest and civil war have done little to stablize the continent. There is no centralized government, therefore very little international law to be applied. Most countries in Africa maintain very poor extradition alliances with other countries. However, most governments and police forces in Africa have a "respond with overwhelming and violent force, and ask questions afterward" response to anything that appears to be a threat to their authority.

Vip: You guys have worked with her in the past. She's always given you all the appropriate professional respect and information. If there's anyone that would actually be active in the social aspects of the Foundation and the staff at the various offices, feel free to give me an appropriate roll (i.e., Etiquette or similar social skills, or any background skill related to specific information about the Foundation.)
BishopMcQ
You know, I was really hoping that this area of Africa was specifically cleared of all critters, awakened jackals, etc. But that might just be the flashbacks of going toe to toe with a Piasma and the Immortal Flower cocktail that followed such folly.

Thanks for all the background info.
Fenris
Do I even want to know what an Immortal Flower cocktail is?
BishopMcQ
Immortal Flower provides critter type Regeneration (or did in SR3) with the unknown cost of permanently reducing your overflow. Hence the reason Jake's overflow pool is reduced by 2.
Fenris
Ewww...

So, anyway, are there any more question or information you guys think she should have?

If not, what's your next step? I'd like to get the thread up and moving again.
Fenris
Alright guys, I'm going to go ahead and move the timeline forward tomorrow afternoon.

Haven't had a post from anyone but McQuillan and Buddha in almost two weeks.

I'd like to get things up and rolling again. If there's something you guys need, information, etc., or rolls you want to make (what do know about ViP, why is she staring at me funny, blah blah blah) just let me know.
BishopMcQ
I'm ready to pack up and move out. Have we gotten a finalized motor pool guide yet?

That last question was at you, Cirio.
Buddha72
Sorry for the late response to my info OOC but been sick. The info is up now and I am here, fingers hovering over the keyboard. biggrin.gif
BishopMcQ
I will get my info up soon.
Buddha72
Is anyone else out there? Is it just me and McQuillan? Come on people, post or something. frown.gif
Buddha72
Ok I know there is more than me and McQuillan in this thread! eek.gif Come on people post or something! biggrin.gif
Blitz
I am so so sorry...Im having the hardest time getting back into the swing of things. I have to run to work right now, but I PROMISE I will not go to bed tonight without posting.
Blitz
I am so so sorry...Im having the hardest time getting back into the swing of things. I have to run to work right now, but I PROMISE I will not go to bed tonight without posting.
Blitz
God my knowledge skills are so pathetic wink.gif

3rd world Military/Mercenary Groups: 2
(logic 2)
1: 2
2: 5 ... Success
3: 4
4: 2

Military Strategy - 3rd World Nations: 3
(logic 2)
1: 3
2: 6 + 6 + 6 + 5 = 23. ... Success
3: 6 + 6 + 5 = 17. ... Success
4: 5 ... Success
5: 6 + 1 = 7. ... Success
that was impressive...

Basically, Im looking for any information on equipment necessary for this territory, what groups to watch out for, potential sources of contacts for information or equipment should we need it...tactical information really.
Fenris
Blitz -
3rd World Military / Mercenary Groups: Yu definitely seems to be more tied into the mercenary groups. However, as for legitimate militaries, you know that there is currently a small civil war happening between the militaries of the two countries currently bordering your target area. Its pretty personal, so neither side is using mercenaries. But that area could definitely be considered hostile. Recent reports from military units have vague reports of a giant awakened toxic creature that's destroyed several small patrols. No clear sightings, no other information.

Military Strategy - 3rd World Nations:
Information that might be useful to your group is mostly enviornmental. Bring clothes designed for the heat and the lack of moisture, stock up on plenty of water. Don't expect to find supplies of any kind there, including ammo, gas, etc. Native members of the Waschelike tribe make excellent guides, as they know the land and manage to stay neutral in the majority of the fighting going on, mostly due to small size. Receive vaccinations for malaria before you arrive. The disease can be prevented, but can never really be cured, and still runs rampant through the poor populations in Africa.

All - Okay, we're obviously way past deadline for response for the thread. I'm putting the vote to the group at this point.

Sparky, Whizbang, and Cirio have apparently stopped posting. Thats half of the group. Do the remaining three of you want to go it alone, or simply drop the thread? This was originally designed as a private invite group, so I'm loath to open up recruiting for more members. Alternatively, if any of you know reliable, good posters that are interested, we could fill the ranks out there as well.

I'll take suggestions, opinions, or votes for the next 2 days, then make a decision.
HeySparky
I'm here and I'd like to keep at it. But I'll understand if y'all want to recruit somone with a better post rate.
BishopMcQ
My preference would be to crack the whip and start stressing those personal connections which we have. We all see or talk with each other on a nearly daily basis.

Let's see if we can exert those connections and get everyone back in here. If we don't see anything by the new year, re-evaluate.
Whizbang
*gives herself a kick in the behind to get back here*
Fenris
Sparky, Whizbang

All then guys, fess up. I see both of you posting now that I've threatened to replace you, but 9 days ago when I did a call because neither of you had posted in two weeks, neither of you answered.

I personally invited both of you into the thread, so I obviously want you here. But if you're not going to post, then at least have the integrity to say so and step out. Whats your call?

And no, once in three weeks doesn't count wink.gif

McQuillan I willing to go along with the New Year thing. Consider the whip cracked.
Whizbang
I do apologize on that. And I hate making excuses. All I can do is attempt to do better, and hope that writer's block doesn't act up again. It wasn't just Dumpshock I wasn't posting on for a time, but all the boards....but I'm making a comeback...I just can't stop writing. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012