Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirits Within
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Dentris
Ok, I officially open this Out of Character thread for the spirits within campaign.

I've made a list of all the ones who showed interest in the campaign, along with their characters and the changes required before i officially accept them

BlackHat: character is approved.

ColdDragon: character is approved

Ophis: your character is ok, but it still needs a more detailed description/personality

Emo Samurai: character is approved since it is now a materializing spirit.

DireRadiant: ok, tough one. My suggestion would be that you actually inhabit the internal comlink of the drone and issue command to it much like a rigger issuing command to a subscribed drone. The main problem is communication, though. You do not have the astral form power, so you have to rely on matrix commucation, but none of the other spirits have that sort of communication ability. You may want to change your power list so you can add Astral Projection. I would suggest changing Regeneration to Astral Projection, since i would say regeneration only works with living vessel.

Ankle Biter: You still have 2 powers left to choose. You can take armor if you want, and immunity to normal weapon is part of the manifesting power, so you don't have to take it.

Tattered Seraphim: you have some BPs left, and more details about the spirit's personality/background would be appreciated.

Any other player interested in joining have until today, sunday, to post a character sheet.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Dentris)
DireRadiant: ok, tough one. My suggestion would be that you actually inhabit the internal comlink of the drone and issue command to it much like a rigger issuing command to a subscribed drone. The main problem is communication, though. You do not have the astral form power, so you have to rely on matrix commucation, but none of the other spirits have that sort of communication ability. You may want to change your power list so you can add Astral Projection. I would suggest changing Regeneration to Astral Projection, since i would say regeneration only works with living vessel.

Yeah, normally a spirit inhabiting a vehicle or drone wouldn't be able to access matrix-stuff for communication (considered complex electronics), or for that matter, control a drone via commlink, but I would imagine they wouldn't have any trouble accessing onboard sensors (since, otherwise, they would be completely useless in that form) - so having onboard speakers wouldn't be that out-there... it would allow physical communication, without having to project out of the drone.

If the spirit WAS the commlink, it could move around just by moving the mechanical parts - but I think if a spirit inhbited a commlink, it would be blind, unable to move, and unable to communicate with the world around it.

As for regeneration, its the GMs call if it works on non-living things or not (since everything is a GM call), but I would like to point out that without it, inhabiting spirits are going to become large money sinks, since they cannot be healed naturally (and very difficult to heal magically) - and are just as expensive to repair as to replace.

Course, if they do have it, they become almost invincible, so I can understand either way. =D
DireRadiant
Aren't inhabiting Spirits dual natured? My thought was that I had the physical body of the drone and could move it as the drone would move. As far as the other stuff works I think it's no different then if it was a homunculus. It doesn't really have eyes or ears, but the spirit can still see and hear? Or am I wrong in thinking that?

The real problem is how would I, as the spirit, communicate to Brenda, the Agent to give it commands or isntructions. I was thinking it would be like talking to my self a lot.

If I inhabited a lump of dirt, would I be able to see and hear and talk?
emo samurai
Why didn't you approve of the possessing bureaucrat dude?
Tattered~Seraphim
Sorry I haven't done my character sheet yet. I've had a horrendous last few days with being busy trying to get jobs done, struggling with a chest infection. I'll try and get it finished by tonight or tomorrow at the very latest.

~Tattered~Seraphim
Dentris
Emo Samurai: Because the shinto tradition isn't a possessing tradition. I want to stick with traditions as much as possible.

Dire Radiant: The Street and MAgic ruling about possessed vehicules is: you cando everything you a mechanically able to do, thus moving. Any electronic components/programs/wireless control, etc. are impossible for the spirit to control. Although you may use any of your powers in that form...

Also, after re-reading the inhabitation power, you are still dual-natured even when inhabiting a mechanical device, meaning you can see anything in the astral plane and communicate with other astral denizens.

My ruling about regeneration is that it only affect living or once living material (wood, bones, zombies, etc.), so sorry.

Finally, i have a suggestion you might find interesting. Considering buying a single drone would be quite harsh (you would waster around 45 000 nuyens since you can't use any of the programs or communicate with the drone), i suggest you change your regeneration power into a sligthly modifed Vessel Trading power. The power would work only on inanimate object, but you could, as an inhabiting vessel, trade your skin for any other inanimate object. You couldn't survive outside a vessel, though, since you are not a possessing spirit, but that would allow you to buy several drones and switch between them whenever you want...you could also take over other drones instead of fighting them.
emo samurai
You mean Wuxing.

Why do you want to stick by traditions? Because you want the metaplanes we're from to be known to many people?
Dentris
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Sep 23 2006, 04:14 PM)
You mean Wuxing.

Sorry, wuxing...yeah.

I want to stick with tradition to add some flavor and put some limits on what players could do.
emo samurai
And it just makes sense for a celestial bureaucrat to be materializing, anyway.

Can he Dream Pact without possession power?
BlackHat
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Can he Dream Pact without possession power?

Yeah, that's a good question since taking over someone's body while they are sleeping sounds a lot like possession - but I think any type of spirit can make any kind of pact... the magic of making the pact must allow you to switch bodies or something.

I do like the "keeping things within traditions" thing... otherwise a hermatic earth elemetnal wouldn't really be any different than any other spirit, except in how it looks. wink.gif
emo samurai
Then again, spirits don't have to be bound to a person to make a magic pact or use up his edge, and the nature of the pact is probably to bind the spirit automatically to the body once it sleeps.
Tattered~Seraphim
Hecate, the Dark Magician

[ Spoiler ]

Sorry bout the messiness of this working copy. I'm using the rulesbook and am a bit confused about where to locate what spells Hecate can do- she's primarily a magician spirit, and I'm using the goddess Hecate as the inspiration for her style, as well as Dark Magicians in the movies/books Night Watch and Day Watch (Russian masterpieces). Are the powers listed also the spells? Sorry, but I've not played a spell caster before in SR. Can I have some help please? Sorry.

~Phimie
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Dentris)
Finally, i have a suggestion you might find interesting. Considering buying a single drone would be quite harsh (you would waster around 45 000 nuyens since you can't use any of the programs or communicate with the drone), i suggest you change your regeneration power into a sligthly modifed Vessel Trading power. The power would work only on inanimate object, but you could, as an inhabiting vessel, trade your skin for any other inanimate object. You couldn't survive outside a vessel, though, since you are not a possessing spirit, but that would allow you to buy several drones and switch between them whenever you want...you could also take over other drones instead of fighting them.

This might as well simply be Possession, specializing in inanimate objects.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Tattered~Seraphim)
Hecate, the Dark Magician

With Edge of 2, I am fairly certain you get two free powers and not one.

I didn't really go the magician route, but I believe that as a spirit of man, you pay 3 BP for every spell you want to be able to cast.
DireRadiant
Okay, inhabiting regeneration too powerful. Message received. (Though... akira...)

I would still like to do the inhabited iBall drone.
Would adding speakers to the drone be possible? If so would both the drone pilot and inhabiting spirit be able to use them? (Think schizophrenic iBall talking to itself)

I understand that the inhabiting spirit might not be able to talk to the pilot program. That's part of the charm, the inhabiting spirit asking some astral friend to relay a command to the pilot to maybe perform, and then the communication being a problem the other way, where the pilot might not be able to relay information to the inhabiting spirit.

Alright Alternatives.

Inhabited weapon focus, large black swords with runes, featuring Energy Drain power.
'50 Studebaker vessel....

Looks like inhabiting inanimate vessel is not going to work out, too bad.

I think the same basic concept, Possessing Guidance spirit, or materializing, I don't feel much like inhabiting a living vessel.

How about this one?

Hermetic Qabbalistic Possessing
The all seeing Eye
[ Spoiler ]

Leftover odd BP. Can this be turned into Gear such as fake sins. license, datasofts, e.g things that could be stored online, and starting money which could be accessed while possessing? Contacts? 20 BP of contacts would be useful.
Cold-Dragon
I thought Inhabitation required a living vessel (or else formerly living) to work, and not objects? I should probably re-read the section to double check, but I don't recall there being rules for the human/hybrid/spirit forms that depends on the dice rolls of inhabitation with objects involved.
emo samurai
Can you post advancement rules?
Cold-Dragon
Just looked it up. I guess you can do that with objects...though I'd laugh at a hybrid orb drone thingy. XD Dunno why there's no astral form outside of inhabitation though. I miss something else there?
emo samurai
I was wondering if you'd advance the way an ally does, 5 karma per power, 3 karma for a spell you should know.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
I thought Inhabitation required a living vessel (or else formerly living) to work, and not objects? I should probably re-read the section to double check, but I don't recall there being rules for the human/hybrid/spirit forms that depends on the dice rolls of inhabitation with objects involved.

If you look at the Vessel preparation rules you can see there are lots of non living vessels are possible.
Cold-Dragon
Like I said, I figured that out. Thanks for doubling though.

I guess we wait on Dentris and the other parts then. *fine tunes spirit*

How is it I end up as a female so much? I swear, I have a habit or something *thinks about it* Oh, well that could be one reason why! Perhaps I need a girlfriend? XD
Ophis
Apologies for late reply, yesterday turned very busy by surprise

7 bp left, damn thats an annoying number, what do I do with left overs.

Oh wait, I can get resourses right? Cool money ago-go.
Okay here goes with a revised sheet

[ Spoiler ]
Tattered~Seraphim
Thanks BlackHat. Just to check (this is where my confusion's come in) is a spell classed as any of the powers listed in the square brackets? It's knowing from where I can choose my spells from thats the trouble.
Dentris
Tattered Sheraphim: With your edge of 2, you have 2 free powers. Additionnaly, a spirit of man may learn any spells at the cost of 3 BPs.

Emo Samurai: after considerable thoughts, i decided the advancement rules will be just the same as creation rules. (BP cost is simply transfered into Karma cost, allowing leftover BP to be used later)

Ophis: Only inhabiting spirits may get ressources

Dire Radiant: you can inhabit any kind of vessel. In fact, an inhabited sword would be considered a weapon focus with a force rating equal to the spirit's force/2, and since it is a dual-natured sword, it is usable against astral creatures too. If you do not wish to inhabit a living spirit, you still have the opportunity to inhabit a cyber-zombie equipped with occular drones...(at the cost of 3000 nuyens per eyes... wink.gif ).

Oh, and by the way, i edited my first post to take into consideration your new character stats.
emo samurai
So metamagics will cost 15 karma? How about initiation grade? Will that just equal Edge? Because there are rules for free spirits advancement in the book, they're just really harsh on Force increase.
Dentris
QUOTE (emo samurai)
So metamagics will cost 15 karma? How about initiation grade? Will that just equal Edge? Because there are rules for free spirits advancement in the book, they're just really harsh on Force increase.

Actually, the creation rules i meant was the free spirit creation rules i made up...To stay balanced, i would say metamagic costs 5 karma to learn, while initiation costs 5+1 per initiation level...
DireRadiant
Dentris, did you get a chance to look over the Qabbalistic Possession Character, I'd be willing to play that instead of trying to struggle through figuring out how to do the drone inhabitation.
Dentris
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Dentris, did you get a chance to look over the Qabbalistic Possession Character, I'd be willing to play that instead of trying to struggle through figuring out how to do the drone inhabitation.

Dire Radiant: your character looks perfectly fine that way...It only needs a more complete personality/background.
Tattered~Seraphim
Dentris: Thanks. That I was able to understand. My problem's purely down to knowing what spells are available to be learnt that I'm having trouble with, and where the list is in the main rulesbook.
Dentris
Dentris: Thanks. That I was able to understand. My problem's purely down to knowing what spells are available to be learnt that I'm having trouble with, and where the list is in the main rulesbook.

The available list is at the end of the chapter about magic, and you may learn any of the spells presented...
Tattered~Seraphim
Thanks! biggrin.gif Now I should be able to finish off Hecate's profile. Is her background ok?
Dentris
Thanks! biggrin.gif Now I should be able to finish off Hecate's profile. Is her background ok?

It's ok, but it needs a little bit more details, as well as an outline of its personality.
emo samurai
How much does 1 BP buy? I'm thinking of changing my spirit's powers.
Tattered~Seraphim
Right, I've pretty much finished Hecate now. Just have 1BP left over. I thought I'd given her personality, ah well.

[ Spoiler ]
BlackHat
TS: Doesn't matter that the physical form is elven. It could be an elephant and the stats would be the same. smile.gif It should be listed under "spirit of (wo)man" dependant on your force.

Anyone: Do spirits suffer drain? If so, is can they take stun damage in physical form if manifesting - or is all damage physical to them?
BlackHat
QUOTE (emo samurai)
How much does 1 BP buy? I'm thinking of changing my spirit's powers.

1 BP = 1 Karma after character creation.
It won't buy you anything at character creation.
Tattered~Seraphim
Ta again BlackHat.
BlackHat
Ta again BlackHat.

I hope "Ta" is a good thing. smile.gif
emo samurai
Can we use Edge to augment initiation grade? It says in Street Magic that we can...
Dentris
QUOTE (Tattered~Seraphim @ Sep 24 2006, 02:07 PM)
Right, I've pretty much finished Hecate now.  Just have 1BP left over.  I thought I'd given her personality, ah well.

[ Spoiler ]

Tattered Seraphim: Ok, the points are ok, but you are missing a power (you only took one free power while you could have taken 2) and you are missing a key element for any spellcaster: spellcasting skill. Also, your physical attributes are not right. They should be Body: 5, Agility: 4, Reaction: 6 and Strength: 2

Emo Samurai: Yes, you use edge instead of initiation grade when dealing with metamagic. Thus, you won't need to initiate...I've just noticed it.

Black Hat: When materializing, you are considered a normal spellcaster, and suffer stun drain if the force of the spell is equal or below your magic, or physical if the force is higher than your force.
Ophis
Damn it, what is there to do with one character point? unless I drop my edge to 1 and grab the power back and go for force 5. Which is a tempting option.
Dentris
QUOTE (Ophis)
Damn it, what is there to do with one character point? unless I drop my edge to 1 and grab the power back and go for force 5. Which is a tempting option.

Ophis: You can keep your BP for later, because it is worth as much as one karma point...Or you can be a force 5 spirit if you really want to...
Tattered~Seraphim
Thanks Dentris. I thought I'd included enhanced senses and materialization as my free powers. Oh well. Have added spellcastign now and corrected reactions. I got the reactions 8 from the book, which gives spirits of man as
B A R S C I L W EDG ESS M Init IP
F+1 F Fx2 F-2 F F F F F F F Fx3 2.

As Hecate's force is 4, 4 x 2 = 8, rather than F + 2 = 6.
emo samurai
I'd like to replace Tu Shu Guan's free power with Realistic Form. He is mr. face, after all.
Dentris
QUOTE (Tattered~Seraphim @ Sep 24 2006, 04:20 PM)
Thanks Dentris.  I thought I'd included enhanced senses and materialization as my free powers.  Oh well.  Have added spellcastign now and corrected reactions.  I got the reactions 8 from the book, which gives spirits of man as
B A R S C I L W EDG ESS M Init IP
F+1 F Fx2 F-2 F F F F F F F Fx3 2.

As Hecate's force is 4, 4 x 2 = 8, rather than F + 2 = 6.

Tattered Seraphim: Yeah, it is in the errata...

As for spellcasting, you included it in the power section while it should be in skills...

Emo Samurai: As long as you remove one of your powers to acquire a new one, no problem.
emo samurai
Influence is gone.
[ Spoiler ]
DireRadiant
The All Seeing, All Knowing Eye
[ Spoiler ]

Do we start with en edge of 1, and get a power with that one edge?
Cold-Dragon
Yep. 1st point of edge and force are freebies, and that free edge point means you get a 'free' power.
Dentris
As Cold-Dragon said.
emo samurai
So... we starting tomorrow?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012