Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragon challenge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
FrankTrollman
OK. The Force of the spell limits hits, not net hits. So that calculation is applied before the spell is resisted. However, all is not lost.
  • Ritual spells don't go through intervening space, they simply go from the casters to the targets - hitting nothing in between. So while the background count at the target matters, background counts and astral barriers that are "between" you and the target don't count for shit. Ignoring LOS means ignoring impediments along the LOS.
  • Every extra die generated by the Edge expenditure is an "edge die".
  • 6s on extra dice generated by Edge are still sixes and generate more dice. Using the magic of simple calculus we find that each die generates an average of 2/5 of a hit when edge is spent.

So in your example, our hero is rolling:
-6 + 11 + 9 + 2 + 6 + 6 + 7= 34 + 101 = 135 dice.
Average of 45 hits. 22 of which explode for another 7. Total of 52 hits. His 7 edge dice average to 2 hits, with it unlikely to get another on exploding.

The resolution is inaccurate. The character rolls 128 normal dice and 7 edge dice. This generates about 42 hits that are capped at 20 and about 2 hits that are not. It further generates about 22 dice that aren't capped at anything. They generate more hits, and so on and so forth.

It converges of course to 20 capped hits and 11.3333 hits that are uncapped.

And then in your example, the dragon doesn't get dice from the barrier because you're bypasisng that topology. So we're looking at only 60 dice - granting an uninspiring 24 hits. Of course, he'd be a god damned idiot to do it that way, he should reroll failures instead, giving him 52 dice with a reroll, that nets an average of 28.889 hits - just short of the 31.333 hits required to not die.

A winner is you! Congratulations Tarantula, yours is the first complete writeup of a victory over the Dragon.

-Frank
Jaid
2 things:

1) hits are capped, not net hits. as such, you're looking at 23 hits.
2) the mages have spent more than that, because they have bought and bound a focus (you've calculated it into their dicepool).

that being said, you can just screw with the dragon's head... there are ways of dealing damage that are not based on direct combat spells. the dragon will need to be able to counterract combat spells (the direct approach... though arguably an indirect combat spell can be cast ritually, and will not allow the dragon to benefit nearly half as much from counterspelling. that does increase the drain, of course, but since your hits are capped anyways, move the initiate team's focus to their drain dicepool, and add in a power focus instead if you like). additionally, the dragon will need to safeguard against health spells (decrease a mental attribute to 0, and one guy sustains and they all repeat the ritual, this time the dragon doesn't have any spellcasting apart from his wards/whatever and likely won't resist a direct combat spell anyways... assuming the dragon's bound spirits don't go berserk and kill it for you, that is). the dragon must also guard against manipulation spells (horrible, horrible things can be done to it with mental manipulations, and damage can be done with ignite, incapacitation can also be accomplished using turn to goo, petrify, etc; repeat attack as for health spells). finally, the dragon must guard against illusion spells which incapacitate it... agony is the only one that i know has a guaranteed incapacitate, the rest say "at GM's discretion" (again, repeat ritual with damaging spell for best results)

so that means it needs 4 different categories of counterspelling bonuses... not looking so good for the dragon now, is it?

(not to mention that if you do hit it with an indirect combat spell, counterspelling officially only adds to damage resist, and won't make the spell fizzle... repeat for best results)

oh, and just for the record... if you can pull it off, an astral/mana window spell can be very handy for assensing people who sit around behind a astral/mana barriers... seems like the exact kind of spell a ritual sorcery team relying on being able to assense the target to craft sympathetic links would want to invest in (start by targeting the lair, or it's door, and you can proceed to scout the rest of the lair as if with clairvoyance/astral clairvoyance. note that this also helps a lot with scouting the location, should the team have to go in physically, though obviously hidden defensive devices may not be noticed.)
Tarantula
Jaid, I did note it. They have the skills nessisary to craft the foci and the lodge at cost, they bought the kits to do so. It would take time, a massive amount of it, which is covered in the time they took to aquire 12million and 200 karma collectively. Given that they're a magical group of dragon slayer following mages, it really isn't unreasonable to think that their entire focus is towards being able to slay dragons.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
A winner is you! Congratulations Tarantula, yours is the first complete writeup of a victory over the Dragon.

-Frank

I'd like to hear from Talia on this one before I accept the award, but thank you, thank you.

Is it surprising that the mentor spirit best suited for making a group of dragon slayers was the dragon slayer mentor spirit?
Talia Invierno
Talia is still working through the thread.

However, one thing jumps out at me almost at once: I don't think you have factored in the making of the symbolic link. Use the "Creator is personally unfamiliar with the target" modifer for threshold = 16. Interval = 1 day. (p.29, Street Magic).

Edit: you haven't. 24 hours is still your absolute limit.

There's also a few more things you haven't taken into account wrt Counterspelling, fyi -- new post on these.
Talia Invierno
Making of the symbolic link has already been mentioned. Please factor this into your time, skills, and resources. You have not assensed the dragon until you tell me exactly how you are doing it -- combat turn by combat turn.
QUOTE (Jaid)
oh, and just for the record... if you can pull it off, an astral/mana window spell can be very handy for assensing people who sit around behind a astral/mana barriers

A touch spell, isn't it? smile.gif (Yes, I noticed that one.) Let me know when the caster is within range.

Overcasting to 20 Force can be done.

Specific to counterspelling notes:

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Now, Dragon gets basic willpower (and counterspelling if its so paranoid to constantly be counterspelling itself) (plus edge, if we feel like being nice) for a 24 dice pool.

I'll point out that shadowrunners are habitually that paranoid -- and they don't have dragonhunters out gunning for them. wink.gif
He doesn't get the chance to see or know the spell is coming in any way shape or form. (It resolves in 1 hour, and at 1 hour is when you get a check to notice ritual magic.) I doubt he'd have his spirits aiding sorcery for him, but we'll assume he is (at the cost of a service every sunrise/sunset.)

You'll have lost much if not all of your 24 hours to the making of the symbolic link. However, even with the one hour both ways, what you get is simultaneity resolved by initiative score. The dragon's is higher.

(Outside this scenario, it's an interesting tactic to take wrt ritual magic, for very powerful PCs.)

I am going to assume you also used divination to find out whether this tactic would be successful. I can tell you it isn't -- there are a couple of very specific factors you didn't take into account. I won't tell you yet what they are: but I am rather pleased to notice that I'd already allowed for this.

(Fyi -- I finished writing up the file on the dragon yesterday, including its tactics and abilities. I'll let you know where you can find it on the Internet after the scenario is concluded.)

Quite apart from that, I find nothing in the RAW to support Frank Trollman's assertion that:
Ritual spells don't go through intervening space, they simply go from the casters to the targets - hitting nothing in between. So while the background count at the target matters, background counts and astral barriers that are "between" you and the target don't count for shit. Ignoring LOS means ignoring impediments along the LOS.

I've read and re-read the sections involved, and nowhere does it say that astral barriers are completely irrelevant to a ritual casting. The only even sidewise reference I find is p.174 (main book):
Ritual spellcasting works much like regular spellcasting, except that it is cast over a longer period of time and can affect targets outside the magician's visual range.  In addition, a group may collaborate and combine their skills using ritual spellcasting to make a spell more potent.

Regular spellcasting specifically is affected by astral barriers. P.185:
Should a magician try to cast a spell through a barrier, the target of the spell adds the Force of the barrier to its resistance dice pool. ... Astral mana barriers are resistant to astral spells as well as other astral forms, in the same manner as physical mana barriers noted above.

The ability to cast a spell ritually does not require access to the metaplanes, only access to the astral -- and mana barriers block the astral.

I have just spent some time hunting through Dumpshock to look for previous discussion, in case someone turned up something I had missed. Everything I found seems to assume the opposite: that wards are indeed relevant to ritual magic.

The key point seems to be that ritual magic requires an astral link, be it material or sympathetic or symbolic -- and wards specifically disrupt astral links.

So, Frank Trollman: can you provide me a book quote that specifically states that ritual magic ignores wards?

(I find it somewhat astounding that in this tightly RAW-focused thread, not one person questioned this.)

Edit: opened a new thread to specifically ask about this. The ruling in this thread will be bound by its direction.
Talia Invierno
From p.12:
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
If you want a challenge, you'll keep it a challenge and work within the spirit of a challenge.  If you just want to break the rules, go open a new thread.

The spirit of the challenge, as I understood it, was to hit the "I WIN" button against a dragon. That's pretty much the way you described it, so that's the way I took it.

If that's not what you really meant, that's fine, but I did stay within your original parameters.

Assuming this challenge is still alive after the discussion of the new thread, apparently there is a point here which requires clarification. It's a bit surprising to me that it does -- since I'd rather assumed it self-evident before, most of all in a roleplaying game.

A roleplaying scenario cannot be solved by math alone.

Corollary 1: In any roleplaying scenario there is no "I WIN" button, any more than there is a "PLAYERS LOSE" button.

Corollary 2: Winning and succeeding are not the same thing.

Numbers are important -- one reason why I took the random element entirely out of this scenario -- but numbers are far from the only factor in triumphing in a given encounter. Scenarios of this kind bring in something more than a simple mathematical clash of rules against rules. We know exactly what the odds will be for any given play: and yet people play through games of chess anyway, even at the highest levels, and have for centuries.

To try to reduce even the most basic of roleplaying scenarios down to "hitting the 'I WIN' " button is exactly the same thing as assuming that actually playing through a game of chess is no longer necessary now that a grandmaster has been beaten by Deep Blue.

If it turns out that Frank Trollman is right, then -- if the members of this thread so choose -- in combat time we run through the few points the ritual team has overlooked to find out if they succeed. If they do succeed, then they succeed. So be it.

But if it turns out that the assumption was inaccurate, then the challenge still very much exists. Not to tell anyone what is the right and wrong way of roleplaying: but you might gain much, much more out of this thread if you treat it as something more than a solely mathematical equation.

Courtesy of Talia Invierno, author of the not-yet-existing "Everything I Needed In Life, I Learned On The Chess Board."
Jaid
actually, he took care of the crafting of the sympathetic link... he rushed the job, making it take half the time (interval 12 hours) and then simply generated a sufficiently large dice pool to accomplish the task in a single interval.

as with all detection spells, touch range on mana window and astral window is deceptive; you cast the spell on the person you are giving the new sense to, and the sense can extend out to a certain distance. all they need is an accomplice (ally spirit recommended, but not required) within range of the dragon's lair, to target their spell on, and then the ally's master can look through it's eyes and whatnot.
Talia Invierno
actually, he took care of the crafting of the sympathetic link... he rushed the job, making it take half the time (interval 12 hours) and then simply generated a sufficiently large dice pool to accomplish the task in a single interval.

Apologies -- yes, I did miss that. Fair enough.
as with all detection spells, touch range on mana window and astral window is deceptive; you cast the spell on the person you are giving the new sense to, and the sense can extend out to a certain distance. all they need is an accomplice (ally spirit recommended, but not required) within range of the dragon's lair, to target their spell on, and then the ally's master can look through it's eyes and whatnot.

Yes -- but it still requires someone or something not of the area to come within that distance of the dragon's lair. That's why I ask for combat turns to begin from that point.
Jaid
the astral window spell at extended range can be cast by the ritual team at force 10 and most likely go through the barrier easily (a force 30 barrier would statistically be needed to block it; we could go lower than force 10 spell, but the range on that means you can look as far as 1 km, which means the subject of the spell need not be terribly close.

of course, if there was a way to increase the range of a detection spell similar to the way to increase/decrease the AOE of a area spell, we could really get some ridiculous range, and could probably cast from several miles away.

in any event, 1 km should be sufficient to keep the dragon from knowing where to strike, and the subject need not be there for very long (ideally the subject would be a perception adept, but that's just overkill)
Fortune
Ignore me ... brain fart! eek.gif
hyzmarca
The big problem is that this does rely on as an astrally projecting magician assensing the dragon - the dual natured dragon. We can see where this can go wrong, can't we? The dragon will probably notice the magician. If he does, then he has one of two choices. He can kill the lone astral idiot; he can follow the astral idiot back to the team and then kill him; he can wait and send his spirits on remote remote services to find him and kill the entire team; he can send watcher spirits out to observe them and report back to him on their actions via his mental link with the spirit, which would make their plan quite obvious. He could then easily disrupt either the ritual spellcasting or the crafting of the link by having spirits attack the team or doing it himself during the ritual (since one member of the team must be astrally active).

In the end, I believe that removing the random element is a mistake. If everyone plays perfectly, then the game will always end in a stalemate. The random element is the only thing that prevents the game from reaching Nash Equilibrium, particularly in a challenge like this.
mfb
i dunno, i mean, do dragons just kill every projecting mage they see?
hyzmarca
When they invade the dragon's heavily fortified World War III-proof top secret underground lair, I'd imagine so.
mfb
i guess if the dragon never leaves that lair, that'd be an issue. i mean, the assensing test is definitely the weak link, but i don't think it's all that hard to overcome unless there are tight time constraints. put out a few quiet feelers, find out a few general things about the dragon's habits, and then just have a mage hang out on the astral at a location the dragon frequents. you just need a few quick seconds to get a look at the dragon, and you're done.
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (Jaid)
the astral window spell at extended range can be cast by the ritual team at force 10 and most likely go through the barrier easily

Core spell, as cited, is a touch spell. We are sticking to core material, here. Yes, I know that there is allowance in Street Magic for making new spells and adapting old ones: but we are sticking strictly and solely to what is directly given for ease of common interpretation. "Slay Dragon" is an acceptable variant, covered under "One Less [Metatype/Species]". Changing the range of a spell to a non-cited variant is not.

... although extended range would also be the point at which I will be starting combat turns.
QUOTE (mfb)
i dunno, i mean, do dragons just kill every projecting mage they see?

You mean ... like the one that appears just outside his lair, aura full of "I plan to kill you" colours?

The dragon is probably at least as paranoid as any runner. After all, even a great dragon has been killed in the Sixth World -- and there are dragonhunters out there. In your favour, I'm not letting it know about you guys specifically until and unless you draw its attention.

24 hours. Kill or be killed. Considering all the objection to that time limit, I suspect several people are probably discovering another reason for it -- that is, besides avoiding the army v. army scenario spin.gif
mfb
i wasn't aware of the 24-hour limitation. that seriously, seriously favors the defender.
hyzmarca
The use of mana window to look into the lair would most likely trigger and one of the numerous intrusion detection spells that a sane dragon would have quickened, such as detect magic. Actually, detect magic would be the exact spell that this triggers, meaning that the dragon would be aware of the clairvoyant intrusion. For that matter, as a dual being he might notice the magical floating point-of-view, assense it, and use its signature to track down the mage. All he's have to do is send a spirit with Search to find the character that cast the spell. It is less dangerous, but it is still very dangerous.
Ravor
Also there is nothing preventing a ritual casting of Astral Window by touching the subject and then allowing the subject to use the spell at range, and an extended range version of all Detection Spells is RAW, hell the book even tells you to simply take the existing Drain Value +2.

*Edit*

Sure, it's still dangerous, but under Talia Invierno's wargame rules the Dragon doesn't get to spend Karma, so no quickened spells, no sustaining foci, ect...
hyzmarca
He'd still get a perception test to see the floating point of view that the spell creates, since he is dual-natured. I don't know if you'd be able to use infiltration when directing a magical point of view.
Fortune
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 22 2007, 07:27 AM)
QUOTE (Jaid)
the astral window spell at extended range can be cast by the ritual team at force 10 and most likely go through the barrier easily

Core spell, as cited, is a touch spell. We are sticking to core material, here.

No, the Core Spell has the standard range for the Detection category of Force x Magic in meters. The 'Touch' aspect of the Spell comes into play because the Sam the mage can cast it on another Subject (whom he must touch) like Joe, and Joe could then use the Spell himself.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Assuming this challenge is still alive after the discussion of the new thread, apparently there is a point here which requires clarification.  It's a bit surprising to me that it does -- since I'd rather assumed it self-evident before, most of all in a roleplaying game.

A roleplaying scenario cannot be solved by math alone.

Corollary 1: In any roleplaying scenario there is no "I WIN" button, any more than there is a "PLAYERS LOSE" button.

Corollary 2: Winning and succeeding are not the same thing.

This type of of scenario cannot by any stretch of the imagination be called "roleplaying." If Shadowrun is ever a "rollplaying" game, this is when it would be so.

You are having us create a team with millions of nuyen and karma, IN A VACUUM, to address exactly one KNOWN scenario. These characters will show up, attempt to kill the dragon, and then disappear into the ether. As such, we are encouraged to create characters that are overly specialized to deal with this exact one known scenario; this isn't "roleplaying", it's a flipping board game.
James McMurray
You never play one shot scenarios?
Vaevictis
QUOTE (James McMurray @ Jul 21 2007, 07:30 PM)
You never play one shot scenarios?

In my experience, one shots, especially ones as simplistic as this one -- "Yeah, you've got a contract to kill a dragon. It's here *points at lair on map*. Get at it." -- have little or no role playing.

There's little or no time to bond to or flesh out the character, and because you're going to can the character when it's over, there's little or no consequence for failure/dying.

All in all, the forces involved tend to reduce the game to rollplaying, and to expect otherwise is... naive.

IMO.
James McMurray
LOL! Sorry, I didn't realize you were the one being in creation whose experiences were truly universal. biggrin.gif
Vaevictis
Hence, IMO.

But even so, don't you agree that expecting the assumption role playing in such a "challenge" scenario is a bit much?

I mean, take a look at Tarantula's group. Does that really look like role playing to you? Cause it looks like roll playing to me.
James McMurray
Sorry. I forgot that adding IMO to the end of a post negates the insults in it. wink.gif
Vaevictis
You are an incredibly sensitive person if you read any insults in what I said.
mfb
so it's not going to be the most character-driven scenario ever. that doesn't preclude roleplaying, and it doesn't mean roleplaying can't make a difference in the outcome.
Particle_Beam
For all that it's worth, I do agree with Vaevictis' point of view.

One-shots such as that scenario that really is only here to verify the statement if high-grade Shadowrunners can kill a dragon in 24 hours with ease isn't really 'roleplay', it's more 'rollplay'.

However, that doesn't mean that you should look out for loop-holes in the rules itself, but rather min-/maximize(not 'munchkinize', but instead 'powergame' nyahnyah.gif ) a character to work in order to prove this theory.

As the goal is simply to kill the dragon and the team is considered the winner as long as at least one team-member lives, trying to create a magician with several points of magic attribute and unleashing a super-powerful spirit that would tear the dragon apart with ease, but almost dying/getting incapacitated from the drain is absolutely okay. As long as the spirit is stronger than the dragon (easily possible, as long as you do have the necessary magic attribute to summon an astral being to double your magic that in the end exceeds the dragon's power), and you do defeat the guard spirits of the dragon, you win.

A really strong spirit backed up by minor astral companions, be them other spirits, mages, a bunch of watchers, all it takes is to get the powerful spirit into close combat with the dragon.

Now the question would rather be what you'd consider to be really strong and still summonable. Spirits with a force of 12+ are stronger than the normal dragons listed in the rulebook, but the drain code is very much a world of pain (although perhaps survivable), however, summoned just for this one little job is absolutely worth-wile.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (mfb)
so it's not going to be the most character-driven scenario ever. that doesn't preclude roleplaying, and it doesn't mean roleplaying can't make a difference in the outcome.

I'm not saying that role playing is precluded, I'm just saying that role playing isn't something that you should assume.

Talia got indignant about the fact that not all of us (me mainly) assumed that we should be role playing; I'm just saying that (IMO) nothing about the scenario gives the impression that we should assume that we should be role playing. On the contrary, the background and type of scenario gives me the impression that we should assume that we are roll playing.

The question of whether or not a team of high grade 'runners can easily kill a dragon is (IMO) a systems question, NOT a character question -- hence, the assumption of roll playing v. role playing.
mfb
i object to the idea that there's a big difference.

also, character-driven storybuilding doesn't seem to be what Talia's talking about. by 'roleplaying', i believe she is talking about tactics and decisions made during actual play, rather than what's planned out ahead of time. which is part of why i object to the idea that there's a big difference.
Talia Invierno
QUOTE (mfb)
i believe she is talking about tactics and decisions made during actual play, rather than what's planned out ahead of time.

Bingo.
Vaevictis
May I use bounded loops? wink.gif
Particle_Beam
As long as it's technically possible by the rules, you might try it, but I doubt that you're going to manage to find an eternal loop, same with the summoning loop that was impossible to begin with because of the 1-summoned spirit-limit.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Particle_Beam @ Jul 21 2007, 10:20 PM)
As long as it's technically possible by the rules, you might try it, but I doubt that you're going to manage to find an eternal loop, same with the summoning loop that was impossible to begin with because of the 1-summoned spirit-limit.

I'm not so sure about that. AFAIK, nothing says you can't channel sombody else's spirit.

What if you have one mage summon a big spirit, have the second mage channel it and summon an even bigger spirit, have the first mage channel that spirit, dismiss the first spirit, summon an even bigger spirit, etc?

EDIT: It should be noted that this isn't an infinite loop in real Shadowrun, because eventually the variance on the random die rolls will zap you and you'll take drain. In a 1:3 world, this isn't a problem.
Particle_Beam
So what? Special attributes like Magic or Force don't add up, and neither do mental. In the end, the most powerful spirit that can inhabit you is limited by twice the magic rating of the magician who summoned it.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Particle_Beam)
So what? Special attributes like Magic or Force don't add up, and neither do mental. In the end, the most powerful spirit that can inhabit you is limited by twice the magic rating of the magician who summoned it.

When you get possessed -- which is what's happening when you channel -- your physical stats are the sum of the host and the spirits force. But the mental and special stats:

"While possessed, the Spirit's Mental and Special attributes are used (...) with Initiative recalculated as normal (...)."

Magic is a special stat, yes?
odinson
I think when you channel your magic attribute is replaced by the spirits magic attribute. This means that your magic can theoretically keep doubling.

EDIT: Damn too slow. Also note that your resist mana spells with whatever is the lowest attribute, yours or the spirits.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (odinson @ Jul 21 2007, 10:48 PM)
I think when you channel your magic attribute is replaced by the spirits magic attribute. This means that your magic can theoretically keep doubling.

'xactly.

And while the one unbound spirit limit prevents a single mage from exploiting this, two mages with channel can (I think) bounce spirits back and forth doubling their magic each time.

In real Shadowrun, the randomness on die rolls will eventually catch up to you and you'll take drain -- although this can be alleviated somewhat by summoning Task spirits with the First Aid ability, using foci, etc, etc.

In a 1:3 world, not so much.
Jaid
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
QUOTE (odinson @ Jul 21 2007, 10:48 PM)

'xactly.

And while the one unbound spirit limit prevents a single mage from exploiting this, two mages with channel can (I think) bounce spirits back and forth doubling their magic each time.

In real Shadowrun, the randomness on die rolls will eventually catch up to you and you'll take drain -- although this can be alleviated somewhat by summoning Task spirits with the First Aid ability, using foci, etc, etc.

In a 1:3 world, not so much.

in a real shadowrun world, this will catch up to you and *kill* you, eventually. never mind taking drain, this will turn you into a greasy smear if you try to go too far and get unlucky.
Crusher Bob
Well, here’s a rough outline of my plan, since this thread seems to just be rehasinh ways to make the dragon’s head explode.

Team is:
Conjurer (Secondary specialty is detection magic)
Hacker Adept (Secondary specialty is EW)
Pornomancer Adept (Secondary specialty is heavy weapons)
Anti-mage (Secondary specialty is conjuring)
Drone rigger (Secondary specialty is hardware/electronics)
Close Combat Troll (secondary specialty is demolitions and engineering)

Equipment (rough)
Many heavy weapons
Sealed Armor, ultrasound sensors
A near army of drones
Including:

Throw away drones of various types
(even if their weapons don’t scratch the dragon, the fact that their bullets are stopping in mid-air is a pretty good indicator that an invisible dragon is <right there>)

Engineering Drones
(Set up for setting off bombs and traps (slow, extra armor, fireproof, etc). Equipped with thermal lances for cutting through stuff, no real combat ability.

Re-broadcast/EW Drones
Drones with a variety of rebroadcast and anti-jamming equipment

Sensory Denial Drones
These generate thermal smoke, play a bunch of really loud noises, and give of random bright flashes of light, they also have several canisters of ‘really horrid smelly stuff’ which will be sprayed everywhere to defeat smell based sense. The sound and light are both generated on a semi-random timer so that a person with the appropriate key (and cyberears and eyes or the helmet mounted equivalents) can mostly tune out the drone.

Mobility Drones
These drones are equipped with things like gecko taped feet, rock climbing claws, cable anchors, etc. They are to provide a traversable path for the characters and the drones. For example, they could cross a pit by climbing on the walls, then leave steel cables anchored on either side of the pit that can be traversed by the rest of the drone army.

Dragon killing drones
These are the drones set up with weapons likely to actually kill the dragon. In an attempt to avoid being defeated by a single magical defense, they come in packs and use a variety of different weapons (for example, bullet barrier will not protect against AV lasers or AV missiles).

As is obvious almost all the teams resources is sunk into the drone army.

The plan is roughly as follows:

The pronomancer adept and hacker adept do whatever legwork can be squeezed into the time frame.

Once the assault starts.
Open with EW and sensory attacks. The whole area will be covered with thermal smoke, and be blasted with very loud noises, bright flashes of light, and horrible smells

The pronomancer adept will stay outside the lair with a collection of heavy weapons (he will be astrally perceiving too). His main job is to paste the dragon if it comes up out of the lair. If the dragon killing drones are in good enough supply, he will have a few under his command as well. (It’s no coincidence that the guy with the best social skills is in the least danger… And because he’s that good, everyone else thinks it was their idea.)

The engineering drones will trundle up to the lair doors and begin to cut their way through. After the door is breached, a bunch of throw away drones and sensory-dep drones will be sent in to scout things out. As they will not be able to spot an invisible dragon with sensors, they will simply fill the area will bullets and note anywhere the bullets stop un-expectedly. Any other living things in the lair (or statues, or pieces of furniture, for that matter) will all be shot multiple times, to make sure they are not the dragon hiding behind a shapechange spell. If the first drone wave is not immediately pasted, the next wave is the EW drones, who seed the area with sensors, rebroadcast nodes, and so on. The third wave is the characters, and the dragon killing drones. The engineering drones follow behind, in case there is something else that needs to be cut open.

The team will be relying on ultrasound, drone sensors, and the anti-mages spirit pack to provide information. The conjurers spirit pack will be held in reserve for the main event. The conjurer will be running detect (dragon) plus whatever other detection spells seem reasonable.

The idea against the dragon itself is that is will be mostly senseless (no hearing, sight, or smell available to detect with, and astral perception doesn’t penetrate the smoke either. The dragon’s magically abilities will hopefully be shut down as well, leaving the actual killing to the close combat troll and the dragon killing drones.

Things to worry about:

A much smaller dragon
What is the dragon shapechanges into a mouse upon geting past the blast doors, and a significant part of the lair is in mouse scale?

Topology too difficult for the drones to navigate
Hopefully the mobility drones will help things along here. Of course the dragon could take most of them out, as they would have to be the first ones into the mobility restricted area…

A cowardly dragon
The dragon attempts to flee the lair relatively early, and has some way to leaving the PCs trapped inside. I left forces outside to try to deal with the dragon running away. A dragon in the clear sky should be dogmeat vs. several heavy weapon drones.

Any other comments?
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Jaid @ Jul 21 2007, 11:04 PM)
in a real shadowrun world, this will catch up to you and *kill* you, eventually. never mind taking drain, this will turn you into a greasy smear if you try to go too far and get unlucky.

Absolutely, but if you break out some statistics, you can manage the risk.

(... and Shadowrun is all about managing the risk wink.gif After all, if you screw up a dragon hunt, you're going to be a smear too.)
Talia Invierno
Still focusing on infinite loops? Which part of the earlier ruling was not clear?

But, yet again: if we run into another infinite loop, discard that tactic -- because it's not allowable in this scenario. Save your arguments for why that's unfair for your face-to-face GM.

Can we get back to non-munchkinised tactics?
toturi
QUOTE (Talia Invierno @ Jul 22 2007, 01:38 PM)
Still focusing on infinite loops?  Which part of the earlier ruling was not clear?

But, yet again: if we run into another infinite loop, discard that tactic -- because it's not allowable in this scenario.  Save your arguments for why that's unfair for your face-to-face GM.

Why not? I was not aware that your rulings held any validity or were canon.

Why, are you the GM?

No?

This thread is about munchkining. When you talk about killing a dragon, no matter how easy it may be, you bring out the munchkin tactics.
ShadowDragon8685
Toturi's right. When you give people a vacuum scenario like this, anthing that's specifically allowable by RAW is fair game, including munchkin stuff and infinate loops.

Don't like it? Complain to the guys who do the eratta.
James McMurray
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
You are an incredibly sensitive person if you read any insults in what I said.

The insult in that post was blatantly obvious. To believe otherwise is... moronic.

IMO
James McMurray
QUOTE (toturi)
Why not? I was not aware that your rulings held any validity or were canon.

Why, are you the GM?

No?

In this scenario/thread Talia is the GM.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
Still focusing on infinite loops?  Which part of the earlier ruling was not clear?

Not really, hence why I asked if finite loops were acceptable.

The infinite loop is just a side discussion; those things are wont to happen on internet boards you know. wink.gif

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)

Get back? Have you actually seen anything that isn't munchkinized? That ritual group oozes it, and the troll is a one trick pony (aka, "munchkinized"). The drone army is ill-defined, but I'm betting it'll be munchkinized before it's all over.

Go look at the stat lines for dragons (sr4.297), then go look at the stat lines for PCs (sr4.73). The system is designed to put the dragon on top -- the dragon's base stats are generally higher than the PC's maximum stats -- which generally means that in order to satisfy the scenario, you're going to want to exploit the edge cases in the system, aka, "munchkinizing."

Really, you shouldn't be so indignant about it. You put forth a scenario that practically begs for munchkinizing, and you got it. Did you really expect anything different?
Aaron
Sorry for coming into this thread late, but has anybody thought of adding a character with a few 6/6 Contacts?
knasser
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Really, you shouldn't be so indignant about it. You put forth a scenario that practically begs for munchkinizing, and you got it. Did you really expect anything different?

I know that different people interpret words differently, but there's often a distinction drawn between the term "munchkin" and "power gamer." A power gamer will create optimised characters whlist a munchkin abuses the rules to achieve things that were never intended. I can't say that you have the same definitions, but I can accept Talia's dismissal of the power-up loops as "munchkin" whilst allowing the drone army or the spirit squad. And for this scenario, Talia is the GM. She set the thread up specifically for the purpose of inviting players to run through her scenario.

The power-up loop is clearly rules abuse. It's game breaking and few GMs would allow its use in their game. For myself, I wouldn't allow the summoning of spirits using a possessing spirit's magic attribute. It doesn't fit with the consistent forbidding of spirits being able to summon spirits. Other GMs will find their own way of closing the wound in the rules system. So why do you presume to tell Talia that she can't do so when she's accurately representing the system as it would occur in a game?

-K.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012